PDA

View Full Version : Gase could be new OC, Broncos could hire Buffs Scherer

LetsGoBroncos
01-19-2012, 11:15 AM
http://denver.sbnation.com/colorado-buffaloes/2012/1/19/2718911/colorado-buffaloes-football-rip-scherer-mike-mccoy-denver-broncos

KO5K
01-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Why would you promote someone who did a bad job? Orton and Tebow both regressed under Gase...

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 11:28 AM
lol had to put the jynx on it didn't you montrose?

Rolandftw
01-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Reasoning in promoting within would be you could keep Tebow comfortable with people that are already familiar with his skill-set. Not saying I'd be a fan of it, but also don't know who we would bring in...

bendog
01-19-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't know that it'd have to be an internal hire. I, and the NFL, thought that McCoy did a good job in devising an offense that took advantage of what Tebow could, and could not do, but the play calling was as inspirational as a Focus on the Family commercial. Gase's resueme beyond being a qb/wr coach is really slim. But, it'd have to be someone who knew, or could trust to believe those on the staff, where Tebow left off in the season in his journey to be an NFL QB capable of winning a championship from within the pocket, so they can evaluate how much offense to give Tebow to work with after they gauge how he progressed in the offseason.

Jeff Davidson was one of Fox's Car OC's and last I saw he was the oline coach of the Viqueens. Davidson is in the Charlie Weiss line of coaches. That's not an endorsement, but he might be less boring a playcaller than Dan Henning.

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 12:26 PM
I don't know that it'd have to be an internal hire. I, and the NFL, thought

And by "The NFL" you mean the perpetual coaching carousels of Oakland and Miami. :)

bendog
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
keep watching dumbest videos

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7472163/indianapolis-colts-look-offense-minded-head-coach

Jay3
01-19-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't know that it'd have to be an internal hire. I, and the NFL, thought that McCoy did a good job in devising an offense that took advantage of what Tebow could, and could not do, but the play calling was as inspirational as a Focus on the Family commercial.

Ain't nothing he can "not do." He's going to have to do it. Get it right, keep coaching it, practicing it, and call it.

There were a lot of reasons the passing game was breaking down against Miami and Denver. The coaches can't strike things off the playbook from 1 or 2 outings. You have to change how and when you call the plays, and come back to them.

I didn't care for the way McCoy did it in an all or nothing way.

7DnBrnc53
01-19-2012, 03:17 PM
I heard that Gase got into it with McCoy about his conservatism on another board.

Chris
01-19-2012, 03:22 PM
I will say this - the fins are one of those franchises I love to hate so I enjoy when they're good. I miss those days.

TheReverend
I heard that Gase got into it with McCoy about his conservatism on another board.

Would raise Gase a few notches imo.

BroncoBeavis

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7472163/indianapolis-colts-look-offense-minded-head-coach

Most of them look a lot like your avatar ROFL!

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Would raise Gase a few notches imo.

Yeah, I'd think any QB coach worth his salt would be pretty livid about the situational handcuffs we've got going on. I hope that happened.

MacGruder
01-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Why would you promote someone who did a bad job? Orton and Tebow both regressed under Gase...

Tebow's regression was likely from losing Lloyd, Gaffney and then the slow down, predictable run oriented offense.

Swedish Extrovert
01-19-2012, 03:27 PM

Hey. What about bringing in Caldwell to coach Tebow?

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 03:28 PM

Did you just post naked speculation by Johnny the Geek Clayton as evidence of something?

Lestat
01-19-2012, 04:41 PM
that would definitely be interesting. but not sure who i'd rather see as the OC. Gase or Scherer.

Agamemnon
01-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Gase or Scherer? That's the options they are considering? What a joke.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Great source. No question this hire will happen.

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Gase or Scherer? That's the options they are considering? What a joke.

Yeah, I'd prefer none of the above. Gase doesn't have the resume. Scherer's another tired Panthers retread, also without much playcalling under his belt. His last NFL experience was helping Fox with the worst offense in the NFL last year.

Gun to my head, I'd pick Gase. At least he could grow into something.

MacGruder
01-19-2012, 05:53 PM
One thing about Scherer is that he does appear to be an actual QB coach... not like Gase and McCoy - posing as one.

Also, Scherer may be more familiar with Fox's offense which would help Tebow adapt to it better possibly.

Scherer sucked developing Jimmy Clausen but anyone might have sucked in that role. It seemed the Panthers players had tuned Fox out at that point as well.

I hope this is the case...

The reality is tho that it seems Fox is intent on not trying to win with offense at all. The offense will be sacrificed to make the defenses job easier.

Fox probably rationalizes that he is doing Tebow a favor by doing this when it's really just to help his own reputation as a defensive coach.

montrose
01-19-2012, 06:10 PM
lol had to put the jynx on it didn't you montrose?

Lol, I hate to say I told you so...

In all seriousness, I heard three possibilities today:

1) Promote Gase to OC and hire a QB coach like Scherer, this would favor continuity and Gase has a great relationship with Tebow. Keeping the option stuff buT somewhat fazing it out eventually to a more conventional offense with or without Tebow

2) Go outside the organization for a QB guru-type to try to develop Tebow and run a more conventional offense, also setting the table to possibly work with a new QB in 2013 if Tebow fails. Like a Jim Fassel.

3) I would assume least likely, but bringing in a college OC wth a background in the option game to further advance what was implemented last year and go "all-in" with Tebow and the unique system.

Also I overheard one of the concerns, as in any similar case, could be coaches following McCoy to Miami. It's not impossible he could hire Gase as his OC (if he doesnt get/take that gig in Denver). So that will be something to watch. The craziest, but again not impossible, thing I heard was he would push management to bring Tebow to Miami. Not sure on that one but I have heard on multiple occassions that Tebow's two biggest fans at Dove Valley were McDaniels and McCoy- both of whom would now be gone. I cant see that happening but considering how we know the Broncos leadership feels about Tebow, I felt it was noteworthy.

MacGruder
01-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Also I overheard one of the concerns, as in any similar case, could be coaches following McCoy to Miami. It's not impossible he could hire Gase as his OC (if he doesnt get/take that gig in Denver). So that will be something to watch. The craziest, but again not impossible, thing I heard was he would push management to bring Tebow to Miami.

The scheme the Broncos used with Tebow and the run game complementing the defense would work even BETTER in Miami... they have better runners AND a better defense...

Bringing Tebow and McCoy in there under those circumstances would be a very smart move.

cutthemdown
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Couple of us on here were saying if McCoy leaves you won't be getting some hot shot o coord. You will get a promotion from within. Broncos looking for stability, what don't people understand about that?

Broncos should probably just keep building the defense and try to get like the Ravens are. Flacco not much better then Orton if you ask me.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 08:52 PM

This would literally be your first chance so celebrate it! Ha!

Hamrob
01-19-2012, 09:48 PM
I like Gase. He was a great WR coach and I think he's been a good to great QB coach. Let's get real. Tebow has a long ways to go in the passing game....but Gase has been there for him...and coached him through his fist year. If you like Tebow...you have to like Gase.

McCoy is Dan Reaves in my books. He may be a good HC, but...he's been Fox'd...and won't take any chances with an offense.

I'm willing to give Gase a year to see what he can do with Tebow. This offseason is essentially, Tebow's career. He knows Gase. Gase knows him. I think it's his best chance for success, so I'm for it. The guy from CU...**** no! He is a Fox guy...do I need to say more?

montrose
01-19-2012, 10:39 PM
This would literally be your first chance so celebrate it! Ha!

I said Tebow gave the Broncos a better chance to win than Orton...

Dedhed
01-19-2012, 10:49 PM

I remember one point in the Mic'd up session where Tebow is pleading with Gase. "We can't keep waiting, we gotta do it NOW!"

Dedhed
01-19-2012, 10:56 PM
I like Gase. He was a great WR coach and I think he's been a good to great QB coach. Let's get real. Tebow has a long ways to go in the passing game....but Gase has been there for him...and coached him through his fist year. If you like Tebow...you have to like Gase.

McCoy is Dan Reaves in my books. He may be a good HC, but...he's been Fox'd...and won't take any chances with an offense.

I'm willing to give Gase a year to see what he can do with Tebow. This offseason is essentially, Tebow's career. He knows Gase. Gase knows him. I think it's his best chance for success, so I'm for it. The guy from CU...**** no! He is a Fox guy...do I need to say more?

I agree with a lot of what you say about Gase, but I don't understand the mentality behind the idea that the off season is Tebow's career. What is the rationale behind having a completely different grading curve for Tebow?

In his first year as a starter he's accomplished more than Bradford, McCoy, Cutler, Orton, etc. I don't get why everyone operates under the assumption that he can't get better, and that the wheels are going to fall off at any moment. It's crazy to me.

Jay3
01-20-2012, 06:06 AM
I agree with a lot of what you say about Gase, but I don't understand the mentality behind the idea that the off season is Tebow's career. What is the rationale behind having a completely different grading curve for Tebow?

In his first year as a starter he's accomplished more than Bradford, McCoy, Cutler, Orton, etc. I don't get why everyone operates under the assumption that he can't get better, and that the wheels are going to fall off at any moment. It's crazy to me.

It's weird -- as the one guy people said would take forever to get to full potential (a "project") it's odd the way Tebow is getting judged on a faster curve than anyone else.

Jay3
01-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Also I overheard one of the concerns, as in any similar case, could be coaches following McCoy to Miami. It's not impossible he could hire Gase as his OC (if he doesnt get/take that gig in Denver). So that will be something to watch. The craziest, but again not impossible, thing I heard was he would push management to bring Tebow to Miami. Not sure on that one but I have heard on multiple occassions that Tebow's two biggest fans at Dove Valley were McDaniels and McCoy- both of whom would now be gone. I cant see that happening but considering how we know the Broncos leadership feels about Tebow, I felt it was noteworthy.

I go back and forth on this and it drives me nuts not knowing who believes in Tebow and who doesn't -- I had just about pegged McCoy as one who didn't want Tebow, and perhaps Gase and Fox as Tebow supporters. I wonder if it will all come out.

mwill07
01-20-2012, 06:13 AM

1) Promote Gase to OC and hire a QB coach like Scherer, this would favor continuity and Gase has a great relationship with Tebow. Keeping the option stuff buT somewhat fazing it out eventually to a more conventional offense with or without Tebow

2) Go outside the organization for a QB guru-type to try to develop Tebow and run a more conventional offense, also setting the table to possibly work with a new QB in 2013 if Tebow fails. Like a Jim Fassel.

3) I would assume least likely, but bringing in a college OC wth a background in the option game to further advance what was implemented last year and go "all-in" with Tebow and the unique system.

Fassel is an interesting name to toss out there. We all know he has a long relationship w/ Elway, going back to Stanford, and he was the OC under Wade back in the early 90's. What I hadn't realized is that Fox worked as DC for Fassel 1997-2001.

Ray Finkle
01-20-2012, 06:35 AM

interesting...Fox and Fassel have worked together before. I would think he'd be a good QB coach.

BroncoInferno
01-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Not sure on that one but I have heard on multiple occassions that Tebow's two biggest fans at Dove Valley were McDaniels and McCoy.

If true, that would be pretty surprising. After all, McCoy didn't trust Tebow to throw on 1st down most of the time or even a lot of time on 3rd down. If he's so big on Tebow, it seems that trust would have manifested itself more in the playcalling. Unless the ultra-conservative play-calling was a directive from Fox, and McCoy was simply following the orders of his boss?

Jay3
01-20-2012, 07:10 AM
If true, that would be pretty surprising. After all, McCoy didn't trust Tebow to throw on 1st down most of the time or even a lot of time on 3rd down. If he's so big on Tebow, it seems that trust would have manifested itself more in the playcalling. Unless the ultra-conservative play-calling was a directive from Fox, and McCoy was simply following the orders of his boss?

The weird part is how McCoy was bass-ackwards in so many conflicting tendencies.

Most OC's that don't "trust" their QB's to throw it call most passing plays on first down. This is the most advantageous down to throw it, and it gets him easier completions. McCoy would run it on all downs where run was expected. Almost never passed. The vast majority of Tebow's pass attempts this year took place on down-and-distance situations where the defense knew he had to pass and could tee off on it.

But then McCoy would also sometimes call runs on third and long. So that goes against the "trust" thing.

There just seemed to be no coherent theory to McCoy's playcalling.

ColoradoBuff
01-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Source: Joe Philbin meets with Bucs

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7480827/source-joe-philbin-interviewing-thursday-tampa-bay-buccaneers-coaching-job?eleven=twelve

Wonder if this means McCoy has the HC job @ Miami locked up. You don't interview TWICE with the Dolphins and then go interview for Tampa Bay if you are gonna get the Miami HC job....IMO!

BroncoBeavis
01-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Source: Joe Philbin meets with Bucs

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7480827/source-joe-philbin-interviewing-thursday-tampa-bay-buccaneers-coaching-job?eleven=twelve

Wonder if this means McCoy has the HC job @ Miami locked up. You don't interview TWICE with the Dolphins and then go interview for Tampa Bay if you are gonna get the Miami HC job....IMO!

Sure you do, if they haven't locked in a decision yet.

BroncoBeavis
01-20-2012, 07:17 AM
But then McCoy would also sometimes call runs on third and long. So that goes against the "trust" thing.

Careful. Pretty soon they'll be telling us that the brilliance of McCoy's playcalling was in its incoherence. :)

Agamemnon
01-20-2012, 07:26 AM
The weird part is how McCoy was bass-ackwards in so many conflicting tendencies.

Most OC's that don't "trust" their QB's to throw it call most passing plays on first down. This is the most advantageous down to throw it, and it gets him easier completions. McCoy would run it on all downs where run was expected. Almost never passed. The vast majority of Tebow's pass attempts this year took place on down-and-distance situations where the defense knew he had to pass and could tee off on it.

It was bad playcalling. Trust or no trust, it was simply bad. Still can't believe people think the guy a) did a good job adjusting to Tebow while completely avoiding spread formations or b) didn't telegraph nearly every play he called by formation and down and distance. He's a garbage OC. Period.

ColoradoBuff
01-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Sure you do, if they haven't locked in a decision yet.

Nah...i'm pretty sure that McCoy is getting the Dolphins HC job! :thumbs:

Butterscotch Stallion
01-20-2012, 07:51 AM
It's weird -- as the one guy people said would take forever to get to full potential (a "project") it's odd the way Tebow is getting judged on a faster curve than anyone else.

he has no haters. I read it here. just people irrationally judging him with spite. big difference.

BroncoBeavis
01-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Nah...i'm pretty sure that McCoy is getting the Dolphins HC job! :thumbs:

One can hope. But then again, I thought Tebow had earned the QB job ahead of KO going into this year. Proves what I know :)

Not counting any chickens. Seems crazy that someone would pick him as an HC with such a thin resume.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-20-2012, 07:59 AM

Not at all, especially if what makes McCoy (and made McD) a fan is what he thinks Tebow can become and not necessarily where he is right now. He legitimately could not trust Tebow's abilty to make the proper reads and correct throws at this time, but have an unwaivering belief that with development Tim will be able to do that in the future. Simply because McCoy doesn't trust Tim to do certain things now, doesn't mean that McCoy believes he will never be able to trust Tim to do those things.

ColoradoBuff
01-20-2012, 08:01 AM
McCoy emerges as leader for Dolphins' head-coaching spot

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82628191/article/mccoy-emerges-as-leader-for-dolphins-headcoaching-spot?module=HP11_headline_stack

teknic
01-20-2012, 08:01 AM
It was bad playcalling. Trust or no trust, it was simply bad. Still can't believe people think the guy a) did a good job adjusting to Tebow while completely avoiding spread formations or b) didn't telegraph nearly every play he called by formation and down and distance. He's a garbage OC. Period.

I don't know how you can call him a bad OC if you actually know anything about football.

The Broncos managed to have the best rushing offense in the league despite other teams bringing 8 or 9 guys in the box to defend the run. The results of the plays weren't always great (something about a young offense and poor execution....), but the offense was still incredibly complex.

BroncoInferno
01-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Not at all, especially if what makes McCoy (and made McD) a fan is what he thinks Tebow can become and not necessarily where he is right now. He legitimately could not trust Tebow's abilty to make the proper reads and correct throws at this time, but have an unwaivering belief that with development Tim will be able to do that in the future. Simply because McCoy doesn't trust Tim to do certain things now, doesn't mean that McCoy believes he will never be able to trust Tim to do those things.

That's true, good point.

Agamemnon
01-20-2012, 08:17 AM
I don't know how you can call him a bad OC if you actually know anything about football.

The Broncos managed to have the best rushing offense in the league despite other teams bringing 8 or 9 guys in the box to defend the run. The results of the plays weren't always great (something about a young offense and poor execution....), but the offense was still incredibly complex.

The offense was incredibly complex? That's a joke right?

BroncoBeavis
01-20-2012, 08:17 AM

That can be misleading though. As we already discovered looking at Willis' numbers. His ypc improved, but not night and day.

The biggest addition to the Broncos rushing production was Tim's rushing. There was more than one game where he was the leading rusher. That's just what Timmy does.

And the fact that we hammered away rushing the ball come hell or high water... we should've led the league in rushing. We probably also led the league in attempts.

mwill07
01-20-2012, 08:19 AM

can you call him a bad OC if his best offense was 19th in scoring?

or, would it be appropriate to say the 2009-2010 offenses were really McD's, and the 2011 offense (25th in scoring) was McCoys only offering? As complex as the running game was, the passing game was not complex at best, severly deficient at worst.

I just don't understand how someone with one year's worth of experience, and in that one year, produced the 25th highest scoring offense, is qualified. McCoy going to Miami sounds to me a bit like McDaniels coming do Denver.

One thing McCoy has going for him that McD did not is he has worked for two coaches - he's seen different ways of doing things and probably won't repeat McD's mistakes. McD, on the other hand, had only worked for Belichick and only knew one way of doing things.

BroncoBeavis
01-20-2012, 08:33 AM
I just don't understand how someone with one year's worth of experience, and in that one year, produced the 25th highest scoring offense, is qualified. McCoy going to Miami sounds to me a bit like McDaniels coming do Denver.

Yeah, hiring a head coach with this combination of lack of experience or success without guys named Tebow on the field... can't believe someone would hire that to run a team.

I think some in the NFL and media (and this site) are so invested in the 'Tebow can't win in the NFL' meme that when Tim succeeds, they instantly have to grasp around trying to find an explanation other than 'Maybe we were wrong, or at least too hasty, about Tebow'

McCoy's entire claim to fame for the Tebow doubters is "My God, the guy won with Tebow!"

TheReverend
01-20-2012, 09:03 AM
I said Tebow gave the Broncos a better chance to win than Orton...

But you certainly can't say "I told you so" to me there.

montrose
01-20-2012, 09:05 AM
But you certainly can't say "I told you so" to me there.

You believed in Tebow? :thumbs:

Lestat
01-20-2012, 09:07 AM
McCoy did a good job with what he had to work with. Orton was absolute hot garbage.
Tebow isn't good at reads or putting touch on his passes. if a couple of those throws are not dropped by receivers or put on the money by Tebow then the offense gels a lot better and we talk less about McCoy being a bad play caller and more about him having the guts to let Tebow sling it around the field.

i'm not saying he's the best OC in the world, but he isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.
if anything we should be happy that we finally have assistants that other teams want.
haven't had that since Kubiak and Dorrell.

TheReverend
01-20-2012, 09:14 AM
You believed in Tebow? :thumbs:

I was pretty quiet about it, so I can understand someone missing that :rofl:

Lestat
01-20-2012, 09:25 AM
you, quiet? yeah and the Pope is Jewish :yayaya:
I was pretty quiet about it, so I can understand someone missing that :rofl:

TheReverend
01-20-2012, 09:26 AM
you, quiet? yeah and the Pope is Jewish :yayaya:

That's the sarcasm...

Lestat
01-20-2012, 09:32 AM
i know, but it was just so blatant that i had to comment.
That's the sarcasm...

bendog
01-20-2012, 11:27 AM
That's the sarcasm...

little boy, you vant zis piece os candy?

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1904/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1904-1763.jpg