PDA

View Full Version : Cruise help please

ColoradoDarin
01-19-2012, 09:53 AM
So my wife and I want to go on a cruise to celebrate 10 years together. Neither one of us has been on one before and have no idea how to go about it (I've been to cruisecritic and vacationstogo) beyond the very basics. We live in St Augustine, FL, so we can leave from Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, Ft Lauderdale or Miami without a flight, and we are looking at a Bahamas or Caribbean trip.

Anyone go on a lot of cruises and have any tips or suggestions for me?

Thanks.

bronco militia
01-19-2012, 09:55 AM
first!

I hear you can find a great deal on a Italian cruise's

bowtown
I know a guy that would probably give you a great deal right now...

http://themellowjihadi.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Francesco-Schettino-the-captain-of-the-Costa-Concordia-cruise-ship.jpg

bowtown
first!

DAMN BEAT ME!

Beantown Bronco
01-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Paging Rev. He's the resident expert on these IMO.

ColoradoDarin
Yeah, we're not doing a Mediterranean cruise.

Peoples Champ
go big or go home, google the worlds biggest cruise ship and see what comes up.

bronco militia
01-19-2012, 09:58 AM
DAMN BEAT ME!

:strong:

Peoples Champ
01-19-2012, 10:05 AM
go big or go home, google the worlds biggest cruise ship and see what comes up.

just do it for fun, see if it goes the to the places you want to go.

Rohirrim
01-19-2012, 10:06 AM
first!

Damn! Beat me to it. :rofl:

Chris
01-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Is this you?

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/041206/041206_Winslet_vmed_3p.grid-4x2.jpg

bronclvr
01-19-2012, 10:22 AM
We like Carnival and Holland America, but to each their own. I personally like the eastern Caribbean over the western, but that may be because I've been on the western so many times-Roatan is a relatively new destination (watch the Spider Monkeys!), and it's pretty cool, but most western cruises go through Cozumel-

Stay away from Jamaica (it's a ****hole IMHO)-we love the Cayman Islands-

Chris
01-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Or... you could skip the cruise and sail on a real boat to small islands in the Grenadines.

alkemical
01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I prefer to travel by kangaroo.

ColoradoDarin
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Is this you?

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/041206/041206_Winslet_vmed_3p.grid-4x2.jpg

No, but it will be. Hopefully without the whole ship sinking and guy dying part.

I bet as many people do the "I'm king of the world" as make jokes about Italian cruise ship captains.

Kaylore
01-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Montrose just took a cruise. He's knows a lot.

Mountain Bronco
01-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Cruises are so ****ing lame and filled with obnoxious fat slobs it is insane. Pick locations you want to go and go, don't waste your money on a cruise.

jhns
01-19-2012, 11:21 AM
We like Carnival and Holland America, but to each their own. I personally like the eastern Caribbean over the western, but that may be because I've been on the western so many times-Roatan is a relatively new destination (watch the Spider Monkeys!), and it's pretty cool, but most western cruises go through Cozumel-

You sure have a lot of lide experience. How old are you? You seem a little too old to be picking fights on the internet.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Hey bud, I've been on the Carnival Cruise (bahamas) out of Jax Port and I've been on a week long one from Miami (west carribean).

Let me know any specifics and I'll be happy to help how I can :)

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 11:31 AM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

In Roatan I had a monkey take off my Broncos hat and curl up in it and go to sleep. Another one opened a girls back-pack, stole a tampon from her, hopped up in the trees and opened it and then was swinging it from his mouth by the string.

underrated29
01-19-2012, 11:37 AM
So my wife and I want to go on a cruise to celebrate 10 years together. Neither one of us has been on one before and have no idea how to go about it (I've been to cruisecritic and vacationstogo) beyond the very basics. We live in St Augustine, FL, so we can leave from Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, Ft Lauderdale or Miami without a flight, and we are looking at a Bahamas or Caribbean trip.

Thanks.

I can help you here. I guarantee I can help and know more than anyone here on this site.

First: When do you want to go, be specific...Not just sometime in summer. Which month? Which week? When do you have to be back by?

Second: How many days? Standard is 7, but there are 10 and 14 out of Florida

Third: Budget? What do you want to spend? Sure Carnival is cheapest but also probably not what you are looking for esp, for a 10 year anniversary.

Fourth: Itinerary- You can do a western, southern, eastern or bahamas in 7 days or less. Have you been to any of these places? What do you envision yourself doing at these places? Are you a beach person, explorer, historical interests, shopping

ehhh screw it. Just PM me, this is taking to long to type out

underrated29
01-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Cruises are so ****ing lame and filled with obnoxious fat slobs it is insane. Pick locations you want to go and go, don't waste your money on a cruise.

And this is what happens when people either pick their vacay on their own without a clue what they are doing, or get it booked by someone or something who has no clue what they are doing.

FYI- cruises have over a 95% successful return rate. Most out of anything.

Some people just do not enjoy them and that goes for anything, but often times, like the above comment, you have a terrible time by being put on something that is not a right match. Its like sending a Prude to go stay with a nudist colony. Nothing is wrong with either but they dont mesh well when together.

DenverBroncosJM
01-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Im going to agree..Find a nice adults only resort in Bahamas or Caymans and make sure its all inclusive and go have a blast.

Cruising is one of the most aggravating wastes of money. If you like to drink and take a 7 day cruise (and you should like to drink you are on vacation!) add about 700.00 dollars to the total bill.

Also unless you are spending big money your room will be small cramped and not very nice. Im sure some people love to cruise but give me a 4-5 star all inclusive resort in the sun and I'm having a blast!

Excellence in Dominican Republic is really nice and its a ton of fun

www.excellence-resorts.com

cmhargrove
01-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Thanks.

If you know how to have a good time, you will have fun on any ship, going anywhere. Time of year might be the initial consideration (weather, choppy seas).

I agree with others that the Eastern and Southern destinations are my favorite, but if you haven't been to the West its all worth seeing.

What activities interest you - just bumming around on the beach, diving, snorkeling, historical sites? Is "good food" ok with you, or are you looking for a gourmet experience?

My opinion - it's always worth paying a little extra for a balcony suite - it makes for a whole different experience and there are always deals available. Screw he interior room or the porthole, get the balcony.

BroncoBen
01-19-2012, 12:46 PM
My sister and brother-in-law go on cruises all the time and they use a local travel agent. Pretty much get everything in one package.. one the best things they like is tipping is included, so they only tip when they go to the bar for drinks.

Otherwise they don't worry for anything..

That One Guy
01-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Cruisecritic.com is pretty helpful if you aren't inclined to punching naggy old women. Informative as can be but when you have them threatening to tell the cruise because someone is smuggling alcohol, it can be frustrating.

I did the 7 day west Caribbean with carnival and loved it. Found fun people to hang out with everywhere we went but when 50 year old couples started getting involved in things, they often didn't fit the crowd. It really is a younger, more rambunctious crowd.

I think Roatan was the place I hated while Grand Cayman is the reason I now live in south Florida. I wanted sun and beautiful but found the Kentucky of central America in Roatan. So just be sure to research your destinations as they really make the trip.

bronco militia
01-19-2012, 01:15 PM
and while we are on the subject....what the heck are they going to do with the Costa Concordia?

That One Guy
01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
and while we are on the subject....what the heck are they going to do with the Costa Concordia?

Extend the reef?

Maybe laid on its side they can get it low enough to just sink and forget about it. The hole plus the water damage now probably make it not worth the trouble. Also, who would want to travel it if they did fix it? It'd be like calling one the Titanic.

bronco militia
01-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Extend the reef?

Maybe laid on its side they can get it low enough to just sink and forget about it. The hole plus the water damage now probably make it not worth the trouble. Also, who would want to travel it if they did fix it? It'd be like calling one the Titanic.

I guess so.....I just read that it's close to slipping off the costal cliff into 100m deep water

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I wanted sun and beautiful but found the Kentucky of central America in Roatan.

http://menversus.com/images/bertstare.jpg

That One Guy
01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
http://menversus.com/images/bertstare.jpg

I know Belize was rough so I think I'm thinking of the right place. A couple areas were nice but you had to cross the 3rd world to get there. It basically spanned from crappily built up to 3rd world. Just not the relaxing destination I expected everything to be.

bendog
01-19-2012, 01:57 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

In Roatan I had a monkey take off my Broncos hat and curl up in it and go to sleep. Another one opened a girls back-pack, stole a tampon from her, hopped up in the trees and opened it and then was swinging it from his mouth by the string.

Can't you just shoot the little ****ers?

bronco militia
01-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Can't you just shoot the little ****ers?

careful....they shoot back

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zC1O_WZoKpw&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zC1O_WZoKpw&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2012, 02:25 PM

Thanks.

try to avoid an Italian cruise if possible, other than that, have fun!

broncocalijohn
01-19-2012, 02:26 PM
I have been on a few and always bring one suitcase of a ****load of alcohol. I tip the porter $15 to $20 for that one piece and tell him this all needs to get in my roon. You will save over $100 on drinks easy! Slot machines are a rip though since there is no competition.

Blart
01-19-2012, 03:14 PM
No spamcation jokes? How quickly we move on to new disasters.

Mogulseeker
01-19-2012, 03:22 PM
I've been on two. They were both on my grandparent's dime, so I don't know about cost... but I've been on a Princess cruise (in the Caribbean) and on a Celebrity cruise in the Baltic.

Celebrity was the better of them.

My parents went on Carnival once, and they said it was cheap and tacky compared to the other two.

davidtkd
01-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Just got back from our first cruise. We were taking our kids so we did the Disney Dream to the Bahamas and Disney's private island, Castaway Cae (key). We had a GREAT time and we found it to be well worth the money. Drinks and tips can eat up your cash quickly, so plan for that.