PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Movies

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 09:31 AM
With the Broncos done for the year I'm forced to find something else to entertain me... Which movie do you most want to spend your hard earned cash to see this year? I'm sure I missed someones favorite movie but here are a few that jump to mind..

bronco militia
01-19-2012, 09:33 AM
I'll wait for the Hobbit (part 1) in December.

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 09:37 AM

Is that finally getting made? Bout time...

DarkHorse
01-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Avengers - maybe Batman

Other than the Avengers I doubt I'll waste the money to go to the theater - such a ripoff these days it's no wonder so many movies are pirated. Start making quality films that are worth the $100 for a family to go see and maybe piracy will slow down some.

bronco militia
01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Is that finally getting made? Bout time...

where have you been?

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/

Flex Gunmetal
01-19-2012, 09:44 AM
John Connor wat?

gyldenlove
01-19-2012, 09:52 AM

I 2nd this - by a wide margin the movie I am looking the most forward to.

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 09:59 AM
where have you been?

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/

Well I knew they were trying to make it, but last I heard it was under MGM and they went bankrupt or something so they werent sure it was going to get made.

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 10:02 AM
John Connor wat?

Oops I meant John Carter... Must have been thinking Terminator...

Chris
01-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Put Prometheus on that list too.

John Carter is supposedly the first 300 million dollar movie... that's a rumour from my film industry brother (actually my brother). Looks like it's all over the interwebs.

http://thedeletedscene.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/gambling-300-million-the-difficulties-of-marketing-john-carter/

I hope there's some good smaller fare this year. I loved Midnight in Paris (I typically dislike Woody Allen) and Moneyball was possibly my favourite movie last year. That's just for the hollywood indies.

Ratboy
01-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Batman.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Voted for all 3 comic flicks. Suck it multiple choice.

houghtam
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Here's some you may have forgotten, by month:

January

The Iron Lady

February

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (in 3D)

March

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
The Hunger Games
Clash of the Titans 2: Electric Boogaloo

April

Titanic (in 3D)

May

The Dictator (Sasha Baron Cohen)
Battleship (yeah, the game)
MIB 3

June

Brave (Pixar)
GI Joe Retaliation

July

Spider Man Reboot
Ice Age 27: Can't those goddamn animals die already?

August

The Bourne Legacy
Total Recall Remake

September

Finding Nemo (in 3D)

October

Paranormal Activity 4

November

Red Dawn remake
Skyfall (James Bond 23)

December

Les Miserables

houghtam
01-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Avengers - maybe Batman

Other than the Avengers I doubt I'll waste the money to go to the theater - such a ripoff these days it's no wonder so many movies are pirated. Start making quality films that are worth the $100 for a family to go see and maybe piracy will slow down some.

Write the movie companies, please don't take it out on the theaters.

I've seen the P&L sheets; movie theaters are not as profitable as you would think. It's because the film companies take 75%+ of the total ticket price.

Smiling Assassin27
01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
It was The Lone Ranger but it looks like that one's pushed back to May 2013.

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM

January

The Iron Lady

February

March

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
The Hunger Games
Clash of the Titans 2: Electric Boogaloo

April

Titanic (in 3D)

May

MIB 3

June

Brave (Pixar)
GI Joe Retaliation

July

Spider Man Reboot

August

The Bourne Legacy
Total Recall Remake

September

Finding Nemo (in 3D)

October

Paranormal Activity 4

November

Red Dawn remake
Skyfall (James Bond 23)

December

Les Miserables

I really wanna see Red Dawn. Hope they bring back the chick with three boobs for the new Total Recall.

houghtam
01-19-2012, 10:49 AM
I really wanna see Red Dawn. Hope they bring back the chick with three boobs for the new Total Recall.

I've been waiting for Red Dawn to come out for years. Apparently filming and post production has been finished for months, but they haven't released it yet because MGM went belly-up.

bronco militia
01-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Write the movie companies, please don't take it out on the theaters.

I've seen the P&L sheets; movie theaters are not as profitable as you would think. It's because the film companies take 75%+ of the total ticket price.

I'm taking it out on the theater too....the sound is always screwed up and lately they have started dimming the projector lamps to save money.

I swear I am seeing two different movies when I compare the Theater version to a Blu Ray version on my LED-LCD.

Beantown Bronco
01-19-2012, 10:58 AM
My head would probably explode if I tried to limit my choice to just one. Too many good ones here that I know I'm going to see opening weekend. Counting the ones Houghtam listed, I see at least 12 that are definitely field trip worthy for me.

If you held a gun to my head, I guess I'd go with Batman.

Pick Six
01-19-2012, 10:58 AM

January

The Iron Lady

February

March

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
The Hunger Games
Clash of the Titans 2: Electric Boogaloo ROFL!

April

Titanic (in 3D)

May

MIB 3

June

Brave (Pixar)
GI Joe Retaliation

July

Spider Man Reboot

August

The Bourne Legacy
Total Recall Remake

September

Finding Nemo (in 3D)

October

Paranormal Activity 4

November

Red Dawn remake
Skyfall (James Bond 23)

December

Les Miserables

The bolded movies are the ones I really want to see. As funny as "Electric Boogaloo" is, the actual subtitle is "Wrath of the Titans". And, add me to the list of people wanting to see "Hobbit"...

houghtam
01-19-2012, 10:59 AM
I'm taking it out on the theater too....the sound is always screwed up and lately they have started dimming the projector lamps to save money.

I swear I am seeing two different movies when I compare the Theater version to a Blu Ray version on my LED-LCD.

More than likely if your theater switched to digital, the dimmed bulb is because they leave the Z screen which they use for 3D movies in front of the projector for 2D movies. That, or they're letting their bulbs run much longer than they're supposed to. If your theater's management team is worth a damn, simply asking to speak to a manager and explaining the issue you're experiencing should open their eyes to it. I would doubt it's being done on purpose, but who knows.

Mr.Meanie
01-19-2012, 10:59 AM
In order my can't miss list:

Batman (obvious)
Django Unchained (Tarantino pic with DiCaprio. Enough said)
The Avengers (could be a huge letdown though)
Skyfall (next Bond movie)
Prometheus (possible Alien movie? sold.)
The Hunger Games (decent book, could be a great movie)
Brave (Pixar.)
The Hobbit
Lincoln (Daniel Day Lewis, Spielberg)
World War Z
Looper
The Great Gatsby
Spiderman
Bourne
MIB 3

This is going to be an incredible year for movies.

houghtam
01-19-2012, 11:02 AM
My head would probably explode if I tried to limit my choice to just one. Too many good ones here that I know I'm going to see opening weekend. Counting the ones Houghtam listed, I see at least 12 that are definitely field trip worthy for me.

If you held a gun to my head, I guess I'd go with Batman.

Yeah, this year is going to be amazing. There are about a half dozen or so sleeper type movies that I didn't list, though I guess The Iron Lady could be included in that list. I'm so glad I won't be working in the theater business this summer. Now I'll actually be able to WATCH the movies.

Pick Six
01-19-2012, 11:06 AM
I'll probably see "Dark Knight Rises", just because I'm celebrating it being the last one (at least, until they do another reboot). Batman is supposed to be cheesy. Nolan ruined it. At least, the villains were interesting (Two-Face in the first one, and the legendary Heath Ledger's version of the Joker in the second one)...

Mr.Meanie
01-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Nolan ruined it.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!

houghtam
01-19-2012, 11:11 AM
I'll probably see "Dark Knight Rises", just because I'm celebrating it being the last one (at least, until they do another reboot). Batman is supposed to be cheesy. Nolan ruined it. At least, the villains were interesting (Two-Face in the first one, and the legendary Heath Ledger's version of the Joker in the second one)...

Perhaps you're just remembering cheesiness from the 60's, because Batman is by no means cheesy. Nolan based The Dark Knight on Joker's original appearance in the comic and The Long Halloween from the 90's, which is why it's dark. Blame the original writers and the guys who wrote that.

Beantown Bronco
01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!

Seriously, this.

Nolan has nailed it so far......as he does with most things.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Awesome movies list

Here's my list of must-see in descending priority:

Batman
Avengers
The Amazing Spiderman
The Bourne Legacy
Skyfall (James Bond)
Les Miserables
Underworld
GI Joe Retaliation

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Yeah, this year is going to be amazing. There are about a half dozen or so sleeper type movies that I didn't list, though I guess The Iron Lady could be included in that list. I'm so glad I won't be working in the theater business this summer. Now I'll actually be able to WATCH the movies.

I wanna see Cogan's Trade with Brad Pitt. I had never heard of it until I spent my morning looking at upcoming movies, but it looks pretty sweet. Who doesn't wanna see Brad Pitt as a mob enforcer?

Pick Six
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Perhaps you're just remembering cheesiness from the 60's, because Batman is by no means cheesy. Nolan based The Dark Knight on Joker's original appearance in the comic and The Long Halloween from the 90's, which is why it's dark. Blame the original writers and the guys who wrote that.

As I said, the Joker portrayal was the saving grace, for me. He was interesting. "Batman and Robin" was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, but at least Joel Schumacher didn't take Batman seriously and retained the fun of a superhero movie. It's a guy in a cape, fighting crime and whispering a lot. This isn't Academy Award material. JMO. I know a lot of people love this take on the franchise...

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 11:20 AM
As I said, the Joker portrayal was the saving grace, for me. He was interesting. "Batman and Robin" was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, but at least Joel Schumacher didn't take Batman seriously and retained the fun of a superhero movie. It's a guy in a cape, fighting crime and whispering a lot. This isn't Academy Award material. JMO. I know a lot of people love this take on the franchise...

Would it help if when Batman punched somebody a trumpet goes off and the WHAM!! pops up on the screen? ;D

Pick Six
01-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Would it help if when Batman punched somebody a trumpet goes off and the WHAM!! pops up on the screen? ;D

Yes, that would help...:thumbsup:

Chris
01-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Two Face was in the second one. Have you watched these movies?

You'd rather see Alicia Silverstone ice skate fighting than witness ****ing awesomeness.

JUST DRINK A BOWL OF IPECAC ALREADY

Pick Six
01-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Two Face was in the second one. Have you watched these movies?

You'd rather see Alicia Silverstone ice skate fighting than witness ****ing awesomeness.

JUST DRINK A BOWL OF IPECAC ALREADY

You're right. He was in the second one. I don't think there is anything I liked in the first one...;D

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Seriously, this.

Nolan has nailed it so far......as he does with most things.

Beantown sighting.

Chris
01-19-2012, 11:27 AM
I would go see the new Bourne movie just for Jeremy Renner. Next to Michael Fassbender he's the best leading man out there right now.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 11:28 AM

http://menversus.com/images/bertstare.jpg

And Schindler's List is supposed to be a comedy...

Pick Six
01-19-2012, 11:32 AM
http://menversus.com/images/bertstare.jpg

And Schindler's List is supposed to be a comedy...

Did you just compare a comic book superhero to events of the Holocaust? :kiddingme

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah, no Hobbit? Not even worth filling out. :)

Twilight? No Hobbit but Twilight? Really?

Chris
01-19-2012, 11:33 AM
You're right. He was in the second one. I don't think there is anything I liked in the first one...;D

Ninjas? You didn't like Ninjas?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ItmY6XAVW9M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bronco Rob
01-19-2012, 11:34 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sftuxbvGwiU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xs7fzOrUopc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GokKUqLcvD8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JTSoD4BBCJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/edwLjEB-rAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W1hTnL8XBKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Did you just compare a comic book superhero to events of the Holocaust? :kiddingme

No... I was comparing your absurd 180 degree view on something to another.

houghtam
01-19-2012, 12:05 PM
One of the many things in a mile-long list of reasons why I didn't see Clash of the Titans and have no interest in seeing the sequel is the abortion of the myth. Instead of using the thousands of years old source material, they went for popcorn and action, which is fine for some, but not for me.

Perseus is one of the most prominent figures in myth, and I felt violated that they ruined it.

That said, the original Clash of the Titans is one of my all time favorites. I guess what I'm saying is there already WAS a bubble gum adaptation, why not go for grittiness in the remake?

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 12:07 PM
One of the many things in a mile-long list of reasons why I didn't see Clash of the Titans and have no interest in seeing the sequel is the abortion of the myth. Instead of using the thousands of years old source material, they went for popcorn and action, which is fine for some, but not for me.

Perseus is one of the most prominent figures in myth, and I felt violated that they ruined it.

That said, the original Clash of the Titans is one of my all time favorites. I guess what I'm saying is there already WAS a bubble gum adaptation, why not go for grittiness in the remake?

The SAME thing had me furious over "Troy". Who has the nerve to alter one of the greatest stories ever told that has persevered in one form for thousands of years?!

Archer81
01-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Batman is supposed to be cheesey...good God...

Some of the storylines for Batman are anything but cheesy and border on the sociopathic. The Jason Todd being beaten to death by the Joker line being one of them.

:Broncos:

Archer81
01-19-2012, 12:17 PM

I did have a hard time with the CotT remake. And if they actually stuck to the myths as written they would have dark/gritty without having to change very much. I think Perseus is one of the few Greek myths to actually have a "happy" ending. Greek demigods often died in horrible ways.

houghtam
01-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I did have a hard time with the CotT remake. And if they actually stuck to the myths as written they would have dark/gritty without having to change very much. I think Perseus is one of the few Greek myths to actually have a "happy" ending. Greek demigods often died in horrible ways.

And then were forced to do some humiliating or soul crushing task in the afterlife. The Greeks had the afterlife right, man. Burning for eternity lacks creativity. Having a crow pick out your liver only to have it grow back and be picked out every day shows promise!

Archer81
01-19-2012, 12:39 PM
And then were forced to do some humiliating or soul crushing task in the afterlife. The Greeks had the afterlife right, man. Burning for eternity lacks creativity. Having a crow pick out your liver only to have it grow back and be picked out every day shows promise!

Well think about it. You had the story of a greek King who fed the gods his children cooked into a stew. You have Hercules being driven insane by Hera and then butchering his entire family. He then has to go on to to achieve 12 labors to be forgiven and at the end he lights himself on fire. You have another story where Athena turns a woman into a spider for being a better weaver than she is...You have the greek gods leveling a greek city in Troy on something eerily close to a bet.

They mean bidness, them greek gods.

Pick Six
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM

I think they felt they had to stick with the original storyline, as much as possible. The sequel, however, can go wherever they want to take it...

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 01:18 PM

I totally agree.. I felt the same way about the Immortals. I wish they would have just made a Perseus movie, and scrapped the whole CotT remake idea. The Immortals gave me lots of hope, cause visually it looked pretty awesome, and Mickey Rourke is a great villain, but as the movie went on, I was more and more disgusted with the Story line. I'm no Greek Mythology major, but I'm pretty sure The Immortals took a big dump on the actual story of Theseus (a story that could have made a great movie if they hadn't f'ed it up by changing the story).

Irish Stout
01-19-2012, 01:47 PM

I only voted for it cause I assumed it was a new terminator movie. I have been deceived and you are no longer my friend.

BroncoBen
01-19-2012, 01:52 PM

Yeah and from the previews I've seen this 'John Carter of Mars' is nothing close to the books.

I believe Disney has something to do with this release.. so it has to be 'family' friendly.

bronco militia
01-19-2012, 02:10 PM
I only voted for it cause I assumed it was a new terminator movie. I have been deceived and you are no longer my friend.

LOL

http://www.webiin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO1.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Yeah and from the previews I've seen this 'John Carter of Mars' is nothing close to the books.

I believe Disney has something to do with this release.. so it has to be 'family' friendly.

Whereas your Avatar is clearly not Disney, although it makes me want to start making a family RIGHT NOW!

houghtam
01-19-2012, 02:29 PM
I totally agree.. I felt the same way about the Immortals. I wish they would have just made a Perseus movie, and scrapped the whole CotT remake idea. The Immortals gave me lots of hope, cause visually it looked pretty awesome, and Mickey Rourke is a great villain, but as the movie went on, I was more and more disgusted with the Story line. I'm no Greek Mythology major, but I'm pretty sure The Immortals took a big dump on the actual story of Theseus (a story that could have made a great movie if they hadn't f'ed it up by changing the story).

The folks from Relativity Media sponsored a dinner at our annual GM conference last year, and were presenting a sneak peek at this movie this past summer. When they were introducing it, the person hosting the dinner described it as "a movie called the Immortals, much like 300". Immediately I thought "sweet, they're going to do a 'prequel' of sorts with those guys with the silver masks from 300."

Then I found out what it was really about. I am Jack's raging bile duct.

"No thanks, they'll ruin it," I said.

houghtam
01-19-2012, 02:30 PM

If by "something to do with" you mean "absolutely everything to do with", then yeah. Disney's all over this.

Archer81
01-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I read somewhere that John carter has been a movie in preproduction for close to 70 years. Long ass time to wait for an obscure science fiction story.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-19-2012, 02:35 PM
I read somewhere that John carter has been a movie in preproduction for close to 70 years. Long ass time to wait for an obscure science fiction story.

Thats the worst part about the development process...**** stays around for eons

houghtam
01-19-2012, 02:35 PM
I think they felt they had to stick with the original storyline, as much as possible. The sequel, however, can go wherever they want to take it...

That's kind of the problem I have with it. It would be like taking a famous person and story that everyone knows, and just going "well what would happen if we had him do THIS instead?"

Like, what if we turned Abraham Lincoln...into...a VAMPIRE hunter?

Archer81
01-19-2012, 02:40 PM
That's kind of the problem I have with it. It would be like taking a famous person and story that everyone knows, and just going "well what would happen if we had him do THIS instead?"

Like, what if we turned Abraham Lincoln...into...a VAMPIRE hunter?

Actually, the book was interesting. A new twist. Its like adding Zombies to Sense and Sensibility.

houghtam
01-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Actually, the book was interesting. A new twist. Its like adding Zombies to Sense and Sensibility.

Yeah my wife read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Those sorts of things just really grind my gears. I hate steampunk/guns in medieval-type genres (how I've played WoW for 6 years I don't know). I thought the idea behind Reign of Fire was ridiculous. Call me a wet blanket, I guess.

edog24
01-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Lucas should be sued for subjecting people to Phantom Menace again. That's insane.

Archer81
01-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Yeah my wife read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Those sorts of things just really grind my gears. I hate steampunk/guns in medieval-type genres (how I've played WoW for 6 years I don't know). I thought the idea behind Reign of Fire was ridiculous. Call me a wet blanket, I guess.

I know what you mean. My brother is the same way. He hates it when genre's are mixed just for the hell of it. If he is watching something about Rome, it cannot have wizards or vampires or anachronisms in the flick. It ruins it for him.

Pick Six
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Lucas should be sued for subjecting people to Phantom Menace again. That's insane.

Supposedly, all 6 movies will be converted to 3-D. As much of a Star Wars geek that I am, I STILL don't need to see them in 3-D...LOL

Jay3
01-19-2012, 04:00 PM
I put Batman. Closely followed by John Carter and Avengers.

houghtam
01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Supposedly, all 6 movies will be converted to 3-D. As much of a Star Wars geek that I am, I STILL don't need to see them in 3-D...LOL

As much of a Star Wars geek as I am, I'll watch anything he puts out that's Star Wars related. Yes, I realize Episode 1 is a steaming pile of dog excrement. Yes, I realize that Episode 2 isn't much better. But it's the freaking Star Wars universe, and therefore, I will find something to fap to about it.

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 06:27 PM
I wish they would do Full Metal Jacket in 3D this movie is great... Private Pyle reminds me of MacGruder..

Honestly though I HATE 3D... Its like watching the damn movie with sunglasses on...

houghtam
01-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I wish they would do Full Metal Jacket in 3D this movie is great... Private Pyle reminds me of MacGruder..

Honestly though I HATE 3D... Its like watching the damn movie with sunglasses on...

I love it when it's done well, hate it when it's not. Most films that are shot in 3D (Avatar) or digitally composited (Pixar) do a pretty good job of it. Films that are 3D-ized in post-production (Clash of the Titans, Thor) are awful.

Obviously the Star Wars movies will be conversions, but if anyone can get it right, I'll put my money on Lucasfilm.

The good news/bad news is that sooner or later, Hollywood is going to have to **** or get off the pot. Consumers have spoken, and 3D films do not generate enough income to offset the cost, in most cases. At some point, Hollywood is going to either have to make everything in 3D and raise film rental fees for the movie theater chains, or do away with it entirely.

The extra bad news in that situation is that movie theater chains have already sunk so much money into 3D and digital conversions that they'll want to get as much money as they can for their investment. This is all not even mentioning that some companies like AMC and Regal have disproportionately jacked up the 3D upcharge cost, so I'm sure that movie theater chains, if their voice is heard, would rather there be more 3D than less.

Houshyamama
01-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Well I knew they were trying to make it, but last I heard it was under MGM and they went bankrupt or something so they werent sure it was going to get made.

2008 wants its comment back

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 07:00 PM
2008 wants its comment back

Burn.

Houshyamama
01-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Burn.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz20/GDM426/Burn-02.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
01-19-2012, 07:07 PM
I love it when it's done well, hate it when it's not. Most films that are shot in 3D (Avatar) or digitally composited (Pixar) do a pretty good job of it. Films that are 3D-ized in post-production (Clash of the Titans, Thor) are awful.

Obviously the Star Wars movies will be conversions, but if anyone can get it right, I'll put my money on Lucasfilm.

The good news/bad news is that sooner or later, Hollywood is going to have to **** or get off the pot. Consumers have spoken, and 3D films do not generate enough income to offset the cost, in most cases. At some point, Hollywood is going to either have to make everything in 3D and raise film rental fees for the movie theater chains, or do away with it entirely.

The extra bad news in that situation is that movie theater chains have already sunk so much money into 3D and digital conversions that they'll want to get as much money as they can for their investment. This is all not even mentioning that some companies like AMC and Regal have disproportionately jacked up the 3D upcharge cost, so I'm sure that movie theater chains, if their voice is heard, would rather there be more 3D than less.

That's too bad... The only movie I have seen in 3D that I was impressed with, was The Last Avatar (not the movie so much, but the 3D looked good i thought). I wear glasses, but I always make sure to wear my contacts to the movies, specifically because I don't like wearing glasses to the theater.. Not to mention after years of watching the scratchy theater screens they have finally gone to a crystal clear digital presentation, only to switch to 3D so things are a little blurry and hard to see...

Goobzilla
01-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Wanderlust, just for the full on Aniston boobs. Oh and it looks pretty funny too..I guess.

houghtam
01-19-2012, 08:00 PM
That's too bad... The only movie I have seen in 3D that I was impressed with, was The Last Avatar (not the movie so much, but the 3D looked good i thought). I wear glasses, but I always make sure to wear my contacts to the movies, specifically because I don't like wearing glasses to the theater.. Not to mention after years of watching the scratchy theater screens they have finally gone to a crystal clear digital presentation, only to switch to 3D so things are a little blurry and hard to see...

I'm the same way, I used to wear glasses, so I would go scope out the perfect seat by arriving 20 minutes early. I switched to contacts right around the time we switched to digital presentation, so it's not that big of a deal anymore. With 3D I try to find a seat where the frames of the glasses frame the masking of the screen, usually about 2/3 of the way back. Obviously, that's the same place most people want to sit in the theater, so you still gotta get there early.

Meh, what're you gonna do?

ZONA
01-19-2012, 10:18 PM
You forgot to add "THE HOBBIT" - yesssirree, the prequel to the Lord Of The Rings.

As much as I am going to love the new Underworld, Batman and Incredibles, this will be the best movie of the year.

Agamemnon
01-20-2012, 03:08 AM

Did you actually watch those movies? Two-Face wasn't in the first one.

Pick Six
01-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Did you actually watch those movies? Two-Face wasn't in the first one.

I openly admitted my mistake, in post #34. It's been awhile since I've seen either Batman...:olddude:

BroncoBeavis
01-20-2012, 06:48 AM

The digital conversion was going to happen anyways 3D or no. Film was too fragile and labor intensive. 3D might've sped it up. I think studios need to figure out a 3D film needs to be made from the ground up. And theaters need to tone down the price differential. They picked a bad time to find another excuse to jack prices so much.

Dutch
01-20-2012, 11:01 AM

I have to agree with this. My wife and I just went to see MI4 on Monday. This is the first movie we actually went to the theater for since Captain America (we also saw "The Help", but that was at a special screening where they had obviously made sure that all aspects of the theater were at their best). In both cases the sound was terrible. No base, no depth, no punch at all. I've got a 20 year old surround processor non-DTS system at home that absolutely kills both of our local multiplexes (Georgia Theater Company, all digital) for sound quality. We don't do 3D much (Avitar, yes...but that has been about it), but the picture quality of the 2D movies at both Multiplexes is weak as well. Fuzzy and dark. That said, we'll be there for Prometheus (my wife is a total geek for the Alien franchise), anything Pixar does, Batman, Avengers, Bond (she's a geek for those as well), and we're both really looking forward to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (glad Jackson is back at the helm...the trailer certainly "feels" right, hope he gets over the constant use of super-slowmo to infer drama this time around). It really is shaping up to be a great movie year and an even better 2013 on Blu-ray!

Beantown Bronco
01-20-2012, 01:13 PM
my wife is a total geek for the Alien franchise...............Bond (she's a geek for those as well

I don't even care what she looks like......I'm pretty sure you've outkicked your coverage on this info alone.

bronco militia
01-20-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't even care what she looks like......I'm pretty sure you've outkicked your coverage on this info alone.

:rofl:

yeah, it sounds like he's over chicked

Dutch
01-20-2012, 02:09 PM

yeah, it sounds like he's over chicked

Not sure exactly what you mean by that?8') We've been married for 18 years now and I just consider myself lucky to have one that actually enjoys these types of movies. She's not big on the flicks that are geared to the 18-20 something male crowd or sports, so I catch those on my own. However, she also doesn't expect me to sit through the endless supply of crap chick flicks that hollywood produces every year. She is about as low maintenance a person as I know. Not boring, just an adult with a refreshing lack of drama about her. Honestly, I hope you all are lucky enough to have as good a complimentary partner as I have in her to spend your life with. I've been on the other side of that coin, and it sucked.

Agamemnon
01-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean by that?8') We've been married for 18 years now and I just consider myself lucky to have one that actually enjoys these types of movies. She's not big on the flicks that are geared to the 18-20 something male crowd or sports, so I catch those on my own. However, she also doesn't expect me to sit through the endless supply of crap chick flicks that hollywood produces every year. She is about as low maintenance a person as I know. Not boring, just an adult with a refreshing lack of drama about her. Honestly, I hope you all are lucky enough to have as good a complimentary partner as I have in her to spend your life with. I've been on the other side of that coin, and it sucked.

Way to rub it in all our faces. Seriously you might as well have said I found a unicorn that craps out golden eggs, I hope you all find one too. Ha!

BroncoBeavis
01-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Just about neg-repped you for this. Dick. :)

bronco militia
01-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean by that?.

it's just's means some how you married someone better than you deserve and we are a bunch of jealous b****es

houghtam
01-20-2012, 03:18 PM
The digital conversion was going to happen anyways 3D or no. Film was too fragile and labor intensive. 3D might've sped it up. I think studios need to figure out a 3D film needs to be made from the ground up. And theaters need to tone down the price differential. They picked a bad time to find another excuse to jack prices so much.

Of course the digital conversion was going to happen...my point was once it started, it incentivized the 3D format for both the studios and the theater chains. 3D on film is not only expensive but also more difficult to do from an operations standpoint.

Theaters do need to tone down the 3D upcharge prices, although to be honest, there's not a whole lot they can do about it to a point...like everything else, film companies charge a higher rental fee on 3D movies than on 2D, and then often pull a power play if a location doesn't want the 3D version of a film, saying "if you don't take the 3D, you don't get the 2D either."

The first company I worked for had only 12 locations, and we had a $2.75 upcharge for 3D films. In addition to the extra film rental, this covers the cost of a $6,000-$9,000 silver screen (plus installation), and several thousands of dollars in digital projector conversion...although digital projectors can be made capable of 3D, they don't come that way, so it's an additional cost for the conversion.

The last theater chain I worked for was one of the Top 5 in the US, and it was $3.50 per ticket. AMC and Regal charge $5 per in some places. An upcharge is necessary to recoup the cost of the 3D conversion, but $5 per ticket? It's price gouging.

The thing is though, with VOD (Video on Demand) becoming more prevalent, movie theaters will become a niche entertainment market within 10-15 years, is my guess. There will still be plenty around, but nowhere near as ubiquitous as they are now, or were 15 years ago. You can already see it happening. A perfect example of this would be the Cincinnati, OH and Flint, MI markets. Right now Cincinnati has I believe 8 movie theaters in the area, 15 years ago there were twice as many. In Flint in the 90's there were 7 theaters that I know of, now there are 3.

It used to be an unwritten rule that studios would not release most movies on DVD, etc. until 90 days after the film left theaters. Now with things like Netflix, Flixster, and satellite, just recently they moved that window up to 45 days. Their foot is in the door, and soon it will be 30, 15, and then "see it here first!"

Why pay an arm and a leg to have to sit next to people on their cellphone, when you can watch Moneyball 2: Why Didn't We Ever Win A Championship in the privacy of your own home?

To respond to Dutch, it angers me that theaters have given you such a bad experience. The reality is that the theaters you attend have made a conscious choice, by either trying to cut costs or just being plain lazy, to make your viewing experience ****ty, because believe me...there's no home system that can match the capacity a movie theater has, if it's run right.

BroncoBeavis
01-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Of course the digital conversion was going to happen...my point was once it started, it incentivized the 3D format for both the studios and the theater chains. 3D on film is not only expensive but also more difficult to do from an operations standpoint.

Theaters do need to tone down the 3D upcharge prices, although to be honest, there's not a whole lot they can do about it to a point...like everything else, film companies charge a higher rental fee on 3D movies than on 2D, and then often pull a power play if a location doesn't want the 3D version of a film, saying "if you don't take the 3D, you don't get the 2D either."

The first company I worked for had only 12 locations, and we had a $2.75 upcharge for 3D films. In addition to the extra film rental, this covers the cost of a $6,000-$9,000 silver screen (plus installation), and several thousands of dollars in digital projector conversion...although digital projectors can be made capable of 3D, they don't come that way, so it's an additional cost for the conversion.

The last theater chain I worked for was one of the Top 5 in the US, and it was $3.50 per ticket. AMC and Regal charge $5 per in some places. An upcharge is necessary to recoup the cost of the 3D conversion, but $5 per ticket? It's price gouging.

The thing is though, with VOD (Video on Demand) becoming more prevalent, movie theaters will become a niche entertainment market within 10-15 years, is my guess. There will still be plenty around, but nowhere near as ubiquitous as they are now, or were 15 years ago. You can already see it happening. A perfect example of this would be the Cincinnati, OH and Flint, MI markets. Right now Cincinnati has I believe 8 movie theaters in the area, 15 years ago there were twice as many. In Flint in the 90's there were 7 theaters that I know of, now there are 3.

It used to be an unwritten rule that studios would not release most movies on DVD, etc. until 90 days after the film left theaters. Now with things like Netflix, Flixster, and satellite, just recently they moved that window up to 45 days. Their foot is in the door, and soon it will be 30, 15, and then "see it here first!"

Why pay an arm and a leg to have to sit next to people on their cellphone, when you can watch Moneyball 2: Why Didn't We Ever Win A Championship in the privacy of your own home?

To respond to Dutch, it angers me that theaters have given you such a bad experience. The reality is that the theaters you attend have made a conscious choice, by either trying to cut costs or just being plain lazy, to make your viewing experience ****ty, because believe me...there's no home system that can match the capacity a movie theater has, if it's run right.

I agree with every point you make, but that last part is why I don't see the theater industry dying to the extent you do. Obviously I don't have the hands-on experience you do. But there's a ton of revenue to be had in the 'theater' experience. Most people don't have the time, money, or facilities to recreate something to compete with that at home. And like you say even then it's nearly impossible to recreate a commercial theater (if done right) unless you've got 6 figures to throw around.

In my mind, the problem is mostly overpricing the product at a time when expendable income is suffering. And like you say, many theaters don't seem to take the quality of their product seriously, which is not smart because their competition in the consumer electronic segment does nothing but get better every year. Then you have the studios trying to have their cake and eat it too... doing their part to inflate the price of the theater experience while simultaneously pressuring that same market by releasing to home earlier and earlier.

I'm fairly confident though that someone will figure this out at some point and do a better job changing the box office model to fit the times.

houghtam
01-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I agree with every point you make, but that last part is why I don't see the theater industry dying to the extent you do. Obviously I don't have the hands-on experience you do. But there's a ton of revenue to be had in the 'theater' experience. Most people don't have the time, money, or facilities to recreate something to compete with that at home. And like you say even then it's nearly impossible to recreate a commercial theater (if done right) unless you've got 6 figures to throw around.

In my mind, the problem is mostly overpricing the product at a time when expendable income is suffering. And like you say, many theaters don't seem to take the quality of their product seriously, which is not smart because their competition in the consumer electronic segment does nothing but get better every year. Then you have the studios trying to have their cake and eat it too... doing their part to inflate the price of the theater experience while simultaneously pressuring that same market by releasing to home earlier and earlier.

I'm fairly confident though that someone will figure this out at some point and do a better job changing the box office model to fit the times.

I wish I had your positive outlook, because I LOVE going to the movies. However, the company I used to work for (Top 5) fired their CEO last March and hired a new guy...from one of the Top 3 companies. New CEO comes in and starts turning everything into numbers numbers numbers. It used to be "if it's broke, fix it, take care of the guests over everything else", and now it's "any item on your P&L that's over $150 needs district approval, and as long as you're hitting your numbers, customer complaints can wait." Oh and did I mention that if the company sells for X or more, he gets a huge bonus?

Suffice it to say I GTFO'd and am now happily a stay at home dad.

What happens in the movie theater industry is the Top 10 or so chains have lost a lot of market share due to the things I outlined above, so what they're doing is buying out the smaller chains, shutting down the locations that need too much renovation or don't have enough business, and consolidating market share. The smaller chains have next to no negotiating power with Hollywood. When a film buyer for a smaller company negotiates, Hollywood says "you get X and you'll like it". When the big guys negotiate, they have the leverage of saying "we don't want X, and if you don't agree, we won't show that movie on any of our 500 screens...say hello to a 20% drop in sales." Add all that up and the table is unfortunately set for the little guy to fail, much like everything else in America.

I'm not confident that movie theaters in their current incarnation will survive for long. To me, if I had to just guess, I would be willing to wager that over the next 15 years, we'll lose over 50% of the current number of active screens.

Dutch
01-20-2012, 08:25 PM
it's just's means some how you married someone better than you deserve and we are a bunch of jealous b****es

Whoa, sorry Dudes. Missed that one completely. 1600 in the afternoon is like 0300 in the morning for me lately. My bad. Probably better than I deserve at times, but that goes both ways. Plus with what I put up with from the last one, I'm not making any apologies. Did I mention she is a red headed former Marine? Better shot with a handgun than I am (and I qualified expert 7 times out of 7). No one she works with would ever guess she was in the military, let alone a Marine.

Dutch
01-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Houghtam, I understand and agree with pretty much everything you've stated reguarding the industry, and it does suck. However I also think BroncoBeavis makes a couple of valid points. I know that my home setup cannot compare to a great theater experience. I am a guy who grew up with the Cooper Theater in Denver. Jaws, Star Wars (opening day, it was my 11th birthday weekend), Close Encounters....I was hooked, and a movie junkie for life. The Cooper was the "Great Theater" back then in Denver (front row, balcony). We still try to see the movies that deserve to be seen on a big screen every chance we get, and it pisses me off too that our experience has been diluted by substandard attention to detail. Frankly, I think our problem around here is due more to apathy on the part of the theater employees than anything, and that too is depressing.

houghtam
01-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Houghtam, I understand and agree with pretty much everything you've stated reguarding the industry, and it does suck. However I also think BroncoBeavis makes a couple of valid points. I know that my home setup cannot compare to a great theater experience. I am a guy who grew up with the Cooper Theater in Denver. Jaws, Star Wars (opening day, it was my 11th birthday weekend), Close Encounters....I was hooked, and a movie junkie for life. The Cooper was the "Great Theater" back then in Denver (front row, balcony). We still try to see the movies that deserve to be seen on a big screen every chance we get, and it pisses me off too that our experience has been diluted by substandard attention to detail. Frankly, I think our problem around here is due more to apathy on the part of the theater employees than anything, and that too is depressing.

Absolutely, and that **** cheeses me more than anything. It's quite possible that their hands are tied due to their corporate office not being willing to part with a few bucks to fix things, but in my experience, it's 99% the people you hire. I've worked every position from usher to district manager, and I can't wrap my mind around how, in an economy and a country where the unemployment rate is as high as it is, good work is still so hard to find.

When I hired people, I made it very clear that if you're not giving me 100% 100% of the time, you won't last. I wish more people ran their businesses that way. It really is a shame that my company turned out the way it did, because that was a fun job. I really liken it to being a football coach having to prepare for a new team every week, because every week without fail, you've got a new group of movies, new showtimes, and new challenges.

Money grubbin' bastards.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Holy hell was "We Need To Talk About Kevin" depressing. Great birth control. I didn't like the book much, but i was affected by the movie

long beach bronco
01-21-2012, 08:23 AM
The money makers this year will be:

Batman
Avengers
Prometheus (Alien)
The Hobbit
Amazing Spiderman
John Carter of Mars
Twilight (women only)

TheReverend
01-21-2012, 08:26 AM
ITT: Everyone is jealous of Dutch's wife's movie taste (me included)

Chris
01-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Houghtam do you envision the cost of the home theatre going down? Because right now for most Americans it seems like the choice is either "spend all your money on the setup and never go out" or "go out and have to go movie theatres"? I work with guys that live in the burbs and spend all their cash on their mancave but then that's their life.

I have to say I have a Bravia XBR3 from about four or five years back and sometimes when I'm watching things on Blu Ray they actually look sharper to me than I suspect they would in the theatre.

houghtam
01-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Houghtam do you envision the cost of the home theatre going down? Because right now for most Americans it seems like the choice is either "spend all your money on the setup and never go out" or "go out and have to go movie theatres"? I work with guys that live in the burbs and spend all their cash on their mancave but then that's their life.

I have to say I have a Bravia XBR3 from about four or five years back and sometimes when I'm watching things on Blu Ray they actually look sharper to me than I suspect they would in the theatre.

I can't say that I really know a whole lot about home theater anymore, but I do know that no matter how much the price goes down, the technology at home will never be able to match that in the theater. Even those that spend thousands of dollars on man caves (I wish I had the money to blow) are running 1080p. Every digital projector I've worked with has 2160 resolution, and some theaters have 4k now. Movie theaters have always been ahead of what's available at home, and I don't ever see that changing.

I'm sure overall the prices of home theater systems will go down over time, just like anything else...8 years ago my parents spent $1800 on a 32" Sony Bravia. 4 years ago, my wife and I bought a 42" LG on closeout for $800. Now you can buy a 42" for less than $500.

Agamemnon
01-25-2012, 03:03 PM
After seeing the trailer yesterday for the first time, this is the movie I'm most looking forward to this year:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sftuxbvGwiU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Turd_Ferguson
01-25-2012, 03:08 PM
After seeing the trailer yesterday for the first time, this is the movie I'm most looking forward to this year:

Still wanna see Batman the most, but I agree this looks awesome. Aliens is my favorite but I like this whole series.

Agamemnon
01-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Still wanna see Batman the most, but I agree this looks awesome. Aliens is my favorite but I like this whole series.

It's not part of the 'Alien' franchise. It's connected, sort of, but it's reportedly not about the 'xenomorphs' of those other films.

Kid A
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM

Definitely geeked out first time I saw the trailer when the ALIEN style titles start slowly forming over the screen. Looks amazing visually, too. Excited to see where Scott takes it.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-25-2012, 03:39 PM

I actually really dont like that trailer...im concentrating too much on the forming word and not whats going on behind it.

Agamemnon
01-25-2012, 03:44 PM
I actually really dont like that trailer...im concentrating too much on the forming word and not whats going on behind it.

Ridley Scott doing sci-fi horror once again, and that is what stands out to you? Hilarious!

houghtam
01-25-2012, 03:45 PM

Yeah, it's pretty poorly done. If you can get past the text, it looks pretty neat, but it's way too distracting.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Ridley Scott doing sci-fi horror once again, and that is what stands out to you? Hilarious!

As someone who does this **** for a living, yes, thats what stood out.

Chris
01-25-2012, 03:57 PM

I agree. Ridley Scott is doing sci fi because he hasn't had that much success of late so it's an attempt to pseudo revive his brand (he's not exaclty in dire straits either).

myMind
01-25-2012, 04:01 PM

The trailer is awesome. If you cant look past the letters, then keep trying.
Maybe this (http://io9.com/5870560/frame+by+frame-breakdown-of-the-prometheus-trailer-who-is-that-man/gallery/1) will help.

Oh, and I think its only proper that the name Prometheus appears as it does.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LjLamj-b0I8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SonOfLe-loLang
01-25-2012, 04:23 PM
The trailer is awesome. If you cant look past the letters, then keep trying.
Maybe this (http://io9.com/5870560/frame+by+frame-breakdown-of-the-prometheus-trailer-who-is-that-man/gallery/1) will help.

Oh, and I think its only proper that the name Prometheus appears as it does.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LjLamj-b0I8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

didnt realie it was a nod to Alien, but still...when the word "Alien" forms, you arent missing any images underneath. If youre giving me one shot to watch the Prometheus trailer, i found the forming letters distracting.

Bronco Yoda
01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
The new theater that recently went up near us has those new D-box motion seats. Anyone ever try these yet? Can't wait to try them out this season for some of the action movies.

Agamemnon
01-25-2012, 04:44 PM
didnt realie it was a nod to Alien, but still...when the word "Alien" forms, you arent missing any images underneath. If youre giving me one shot to watch the Prometheus trailer, i found the forming letters distracting.

Do you generally have trouble filtering out visual noise or foreground and background imagery? The reason I'm asking is that I barely even noticed the words on the screen unless I focused on them, while you seem to be having trouble seeing past them.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Do you generally have trouble filtering out visual noise or foreground and background imagery? The reason I'm asking is that I barely even noticed the words on the screen unless I focused on them, while you seem to be having trouble seeing past them.

At first i thought it was a glitch with the clip, then i figured out what was happening and was distracted by it. Its not like it was ALLL i could see, but i was def. distracted by it.

Archer81
01-25-2012, 04:51 PM
I liked the Prometheus trailer. The title was a tiny bit distracting but nothing serious. I dont remember the planet the alien came from being that earth-ish though.

Agamemnon
01-25-2012, 04:51 PM
At first i thought it was a glitch with the clip, then i figured out what was happening and was distracted by it. Its not like it was ALLL i could see, but i was def. distracted by it.

Hmm...guess different people process visual information differently. Good thing that won't be happening in the actual movie eh?

Agamemnon
01-25-2012, 04:53 PM
I liked the Prometheus trailer. The title was a tiny bit distracting but nothing serious. I dont remember the planet the alien came from being that earth-ish though.

It looked Earth-ish to you?

Chris
01-25-2012, 04:53 PM
The new theater that recently went up near us has those new D-box motion seats. Anyone ever try these yet? Can't wait to try them out this season for some of the action movies.

Quit being a d-box and tell us what they do

SonOfLe-loLang
01-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Anyone else excited for the Hunger Games or is it just me?

Agamemnon
01-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Anyone else excited for the Hunger Games or is it just me?

Haven't read the book (books?) and the trailer did nothing for me, but I do find the premise kind of interesting.

Archer81
01-25-2012, 04:57 PM
It looked Earth-ish to you?

From what I remember, the planet looked like a wasteland in the first flick. The prometheus trailer had waterfalls. Kinda earth-ish.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Haven't read the book (books?) and the trailer did nothing for me, but I do find the premise kind of interesting.

I loved the first book, but didn't care for the next two (though i think it suffers from matrix syndrome...the most interesting part is learning about how the world works, not the revolution of it). It's a very cinametic book, and the story is pretty gripping (even if it involves a hackneyed love plot).

Agamemnon
01-25-2012, 05:04 PM
From what I remember, the planet looked like a wasteland in the first flick. The prometheus trailer had waterfalls. Kinda earth-ish.

They actually showed very little of the planet in Alien (they had a very limited budget), and seeing as Ridley Scott is going back to that world and really showing it this time, I'm going to guess this is how he imagined it. Then again Scott maintains that this movie exists independently of Alien, so who knows? Might not even be the same world.

Archer81
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
They actually showed very little of the planet in Alien (they had a very limited budget), and seeing as Ridley Scott is going back to that world and really showing it this time, I'm going to guess this is how he imagined it. Then again Scott maintains that this movie exists independently of Alien, so who knows? Might not even be the same world.

Very true. The chamber with the eggs (I think eggs...) reminded me of Alien v Predator. Kind of odd I thought to see that.

Agamemnon
01-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Very true. The chamber with the eggs (I think eggs...) reminded me of Alien v Predator. Kind of odd I thought to see that.

Those didn't look like eggs to me. Way too angular. But they were definitely laid out in such a way as to evoke the classic egg chamber thing form the 'Alien' movies.

Bronco Yoda
01-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Quit being a d-box and tell us what they do4321~4321~_i_O_i__i_O_i__

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fPY3-EEnoPk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They make stuff your man cave also.
http://www.d-box.com/en/movie-theatre/

houghtam
01-25-2012, 07:37 PM
4321~4321~_i_O_i__i_O_i__

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fPY3-EEnoPk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They make stuff your man cave also.
http://www.d-box.com/en/movie-theatre/

I never had them at any of the theaters I managed, but a few friends and co-workers of mine view them as just another additional revenue source. They're also very expensive to maintain, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them disappear entirely within the next 5 years unless the studios subsidize them.

Beantown Bronco
01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Guys, the planet they landed on in the original Alien flick wasn't the xenomorphs home planet anyway. We've never seen what they're planet actually looked like.

Archer81
01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Guys, the planet they landed on in the original Alien flick wasn't the xenomorphs home planet anyway. We've never seen what they're planet actually looked like.

How do we know the aliens are not engineered by the Predators?

myMind
01-25-2012, 08:24 PM

^this

myMind
01-25-2012, 08:27 PM
How do we know the aliens are not engineered by the Predators?

Is this a serious question?
Two seperate fictional universes that were combined to put asses in seats.

Its widely believed that the "Space Jockey" race are responsible for creating the xenomorphs.

Turd_Ferguson
01-25-2012, 08:28 PM

Ok its been awhile since I have watched the Alien movies... Does it ever explain how these little suckers get from planet to planet? I know in the Predator vs Aliens books it says the Predators infest planets with them to hunt them, but is that the only explanation?

Archer81
01-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Is this a serious question?
Two seperate fictional universes that were combined to put asses in seats.

Its widely believed that the "Space Jockey" race are responsible for creating the xenomorphs.

The nerdrage is strong with this one.

:)

myMind
01-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Ok its been awhile since I have watched the Alien movies... Does it ever explain how these little suckers get from planet to planet? I know in the Predator vs Aliens books it says the Predators infest planets with them to hunt them, but is that the only explanation?

In the original Alien and subsequent sequels, Predators did not exist.

Ill elaborate a little on the xenomorphs and space jockeys from my previous post. As stated, it is widely believed that the Space Jockeys created the Xenomorphs. Little is know about the Jockeys, (or why they created the xenomorphs) and the only real reference to them in the Alien movies is in the first one, when they fine the strange looking corpse on the ship they discover.
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/5348/spacejockey.jpg

It has been confirmed that the creature seen is actually a life support space suit, and that we really dont know what the Jockeys actually look like yet.
There are several theories as to why the aliens were on the ship running loose. My personal fav is that the xenomorphs somehow overran the Jockey race on their homeworld, and the one found in the first Alien movie was a survivor who managed to get away in a ship only to find that the xenomorphs had joined him/her/it.

Who knows though, maybe Scott will reveal that space jockeys were actually Predators, but I doubt it.

myMind
01-25-2012, 08:44 PM
The nerdrage is strong with this one.

:)

not rage, just a vested interest I suppose. ;)

Turd_Ferguson
01-25-2012, 09:11 PM
In the original Alien and subsequent sequels, Predators did not exist.

Ill elaborate a little on the xenomorphs and space jockeys from my previous post. As stated, it is widely believed that the Space Jockeys created the Xenomorphs. Little is know about the Jockeys, (or why they created the xenomorphs) and the only real reference to them in the Alien movies is in the first one, when they fine the strange looking corpse on the ship they discover.

It has been confirmed that the creature seen is actually a life support space suit, and that we really dont know what the Jockeys actually look like yet.
There are several theories as to why the aliens were on the ship running loose. My personal fav is that the xenomorphs somehow overran the Jockey race on their homeworld, and the one found in the first Alien movie was a survivor who managed to get away in a ship only to find that the xenomorphs had joined him/her/it.

Who knows though, maybe Scott will reveal that space jockeys were actually Predators, but I doubt it.
Well that does it, I been reading about the space jockeys and xenomorphs online for like 20 minutes now... I am officially pumped for this movie to come out.

Agamemnon
01-26-2012, 01:10 AM

Who said it was?

And again 'Prometheus' is reportedly not an 'Alien' movie.

Old Dude
01-26-2012, 06:27 AM
I think it may be time to put my copy of Avengers #1 in a safety deposit box. Also issues 2-100.

Beantown Bronco
01-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Who said it was?

And again 'Prometheus' is reportedly not an 'Alien' movie.

In the discussion of the planet in the Prometheus trailer being the supposed "original alien home planet" that started two pages ago.

Beantown Bronco
01-26-2012, 07:24 AM
technology at home will never be able to match that in the theater. Even those that spend thousands of dollars on man caves (I wish I had the money to blow) are running 1080p. Every digital projector I've worked with has 2160 resolution, and some theaters have 4k now. Movie theaters have always been ahead of what's available at home, and I don't ever see that changing.

To be fair, 1080p on a screen at home (anwhere from 42-100 inches) technically has better resolution than 2160 or 4K on a big movie theater screen that is 100 times the size of my home screen. It's simple math.

TheReverend
01-26-2012, 08:47 AM
I think it may be time to put my copy of Avengers #1 in a safety deposit box. Also issues 2-100.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/38687/851153-avengers2_super.jpg

That one?!?!?

Interested in selling :)

???

Flex Gunmetal
01-26-2012, 01:26 PM

LV-426? Surely you jest good sir, for that was just a moon of an unmentioned world.

/nerd

Archer81
01-26-2012, 02:01 PM
In the discussion of the planet in the Prometheus trailer being the supposed "original alien home planet" that started two pages ago.

I should have been more clear. The moon/planet/whateve that the original alien was picked up on; not their homeworld.

jhns
02-08-2012, 08:57 AM
I just saw this trailer and heard Bobcat pimping it on the radio. I now want to see this, which comes out in April. I like his movies.

NSFW

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GEFj0Pngu_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bronco Boy
02-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I just saw this trailer and heard Bobcat pimping it on the radio. I now want to see this, which comes out in April. I like his movies.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GEFj0Pngu_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That looks awesome.

oubronco
02-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Kickass

Archer81
02-08-2012, 03:07 PM
That looks awesome.

We must have wildly different definitions of the word awesome.

HAT
02-08-2012, 03:35 PM
We must have wildly different definitions of the word awesome.

:yayaya:

That goes without saying.....
Vagina=awesome

Archer81
02-08-2012, 03:38 PM
That goes without saying.....
Vagina=awesome

Surprise buttseks is not a bad surprise.

Just sayin.

BroncoBeavis
02-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Surprise buttseks is not a bad surprise.

Just sayin.

We must have different definitions of the phrase "bad surprise" :)

Beantown Bronco
02-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Who's got a boner? This guy.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jSzy9qQ3mDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bronco Yoda
02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
I predict a couple of trips to Nemo-3D ..... Damn it!

It's those evil happy meals! You can't keep anything from these kids these days. All those advertising toys. And my kids are hip to it.

baja
02-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Best movie of the year is hands down 'The Rum Diary"

Great casting, great acting, great lines, great music, great chick.

Rohirrim
02-10-2012, 07:21 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jSzy9qQ3mDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bourne without Damon? No thanks.

Bronco Yoda
02-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Hey Baja, where you been hiding?

baja
02-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Hey Baja, where you been hiding?

tired of the romper room

Turd_Ferguson
02-10-2012, 10:51 PM

CAN'T WAIT!! Jeremy Renner will be just as good as Damon.

Heyneck
02-10-2012, 11:11 PM

That actually look really good. I was on the fence with that franchise with Damon out of the picture. But Renner clan flat out play the spy role...

Heyneck
02-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Speaking of Bourne....I know this aint 2012 (2011), but Hanna was awesome!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dj6zCJyTq2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dutch
02-29-2012, 01:58 PM
<object width='524' height='374'><param name='movie' value='http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='wmode' value='transparent'></param><param name='bgColor' value='#ffffff'></param><param name='flashvars' value='vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/ads/postrolls/Prometheus/Prometheus-450k.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/Prometheus-TED-embed.jpg&vw=512&vh=288&ap=0'/><embed src='http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf' pluginspace='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' bgColor='#ffffff' width='524' height='374' allowFullScreen='true' flashvars='vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/ads/postrolls/Prometheus/Prometheus-450k.mp4&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/Prometheus-TED-embed.jpg&vw=512&vh=288&ap=0'></embed></object>

New TED Talk teaser for Prometheus....can't wait.:)

Pick Six
02-29-2012, 03:00 PM

I hope he will be much better. I never bought Matt Damon as a spy...

houghtam
02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
I hope he will be much better. I never bought Matt Damon as a spy...

Maybe that's why it was so believable...it's always the one you least expect.