PDA

View Full Version : Survival Gear for 2012

broncolife
01-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Im starting to stock up on survival gear just in case some disaster happens in the future. Just wondering if anybody else here has done this and what type of stuff are your getting? I just got a Ka-bar knife and thinking on getting a couple of guns.Any recommendations on guns. Also anybody know of a good emergency radio, I see alot of mixed reviews on those.

Baba Booey
01-18-2012, 11:21 PM
http://www.gerbergear.com/var/gerber/storage/images/frontpage/apocalypse/gear/apocalypse-kit_30-000601/400205-38-eng-US/Apocalypse-Kit_fulljpg.jpg

All you're gonna need, brother.

broncocalijohn
01-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Ask Chiefs fans what they have done to survive for the last 40 plus years. Obviously Bob got fat for the harsh football winters.

Learn morse code. Comes in very handy when all all **** breaks down.

Archer81
01-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Condoms. I dont know why...but I forsee alot of f'ing when they declare the world is ending.

:Broncos:

Dexter
01-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Condoms. I dont know why...but I forsee alot of f'ing when they declare the world is ending.

:Broncos:

Why would you need condoms if the world is ending? :wave:

broncocalijohn
01-19-2012, 03:42 AM

LOL! Game, set, match.

alkemical
01-19-2012, 07:04 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-FatMax-Xtreme-55-120-FuBar/dp/B000VSSG3O

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31v05xlOf5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

alkemical
01-19-2012, 07:05 AM
http://www.kelty.com/images/Product/medium/417.jpg

Ray Finkle
01-19-2012, 07:06 AM

haven't you seen the disaster movies? Only skanks and ho's survive....

alkemical
01-19-2012, 07:07 AM
I also have a line of urban combat tools that can be made quickly, easily, and deadly.

bowtown
01-19-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm told these work pretty well:

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4b22df89d14.jpg

cmhargrove
01-19-2012, 07:11 AM
So, just to be sure here. Do we need the proper gear to defend against asteroids, world econimic collapse, zombies, or just Raider's fans?

At least there is no lockout, so there will be football right up to the glorious end...

bowtown
01-19-2012, 07:12 AM
So, just to be sure here. Do we need the proper gear to defend against asteroids, world econimic collapse, zombies, or just Raider's fans?

At least there is no lockout, so there will be football right up to the glorious end...

I heard we have to defend against the Mayans.

cmhargrove
01-19-2012, 07:15 AM
I heard we have to defend against the Mayans.

Well then, I think you have to consider the atlatl as part of your gear.

bowtown
01-19-2012, 07:17 AM
Well then, I think you have to consider the atlatl as part of your gear.

I was just going to use a stick with some fire on it.

cmhargrove
01-19-2012, 07:23 AM
I was just going to use a stick with some fire on it.

Dude, Mayans will whip your ass with just a fire stick. That only works against wolves, bears, and the occasional sabre toothed tiger.

bowtown
01-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Dude, Mayans will whip your ass with just a fire stick. That only works against wolves, bears, and the occasional sabre toothed tiger.

Crap. Back to the drawing board... maybe a trap pit with spikes.

Peoples Champ
01-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Im starting to stock up on survival gear just in case some disaster happens in the future. Just wondering if anybody else here has done this and what type of stuff are your getting? I just got a Ka-bar knife and thinking on getting a couple of guns.Any recommendations on guns. Also anybody know of a good emergency radio, I see alot of mixed reviews on those.

If you do survive the disaster, you can just loot a sporting goods store, havent you seen zombie land?

Just blow your money on liquor and strippers in case you dont survive the disaster, at least you had a fun last year.

Rohirrim
01-19-2012, 07:39 AM
I'm ready.
http://mychinaconnection.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/armed-to-the-teeth.jpg

Pony Boy
01-19-2012, 08:13 AM

The girl in your Avatar for starters

DarkHorse
01-19-2012, 08:41 AM
We have a stockpile of guns n ammo - we'll be taking whatever else we need.

That One Guy
01-19-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm ready.
http://mychinaconnection.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/armed-to-the-teeth.jpg

What rifle is he holding there? I don't think I've seen the low barrel like that. Seems like it'd cause accuracy problems.

Broncbow
01-19-2012, 08:44 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ajWCXdRwhDA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That One Guy
01-19-2012, 08:47 AM
I have a 30/30, 12 gauge, .40 S&W, .380, and 2 .22s. The important thing is to have a gun you can afford to shoot. The .17s are becoming more popular but I just didn't get it, I guess. A bit too wimpy for me.

I know some are going to say they're overrated but a simple M16/ar15 variant is probably the best all around gun. With practice you can shoot further than my 30/30 could ever dream but I can't speak for the price of ammo on them.

If you want a good gun for a lady or a guy who doesn't like kick, try a 7mm rifle. :)

Pony Boy
01-19-2012, 08:54 AM
One the serious side, I think it totally depends on where you live. I live on a lake on the Oklahoma Arkansas border so water will never be a problem and plenty of timber for firewood if needed. I have plenty of fishing gear to last for years and small game is abundant. The only thing I have stock piled in case of a national disaster is bricks of 22 ammunition (boxes of 500 shells). I still have all my old RCBS reloading supplies packed away in a box from when I lived and hunted in Colorado days if need for larger game.

All of this stuff would be worthless if I lived in a large urban city.

Dukes
01-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Lot's of useful information on this thread. Check it out.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/185417-any-fellow-survivalists-utilize-their-truck.html

DarkHorse
01-19-2012, 09:35 AM
We have:

S&W M&P 15/22
Marlin 60 .22
Savage .22
Ruger Mark II 22/45

870 12 gauge
870 20 gauge
Mossberg .410
Mossberg 500 .410

Glock 19 (my CCW weapon)
Bersa Thunder CC (wifes CCW weapon)
Ruger P95DC
Taurus .357

Building a new AR with Slidefire stock for the coming Zombie Wars :strong:

That One Guy
01-19-2012, 09:44 AM
We have:

S&W M&P 15/22
Marlin 60 .22
Savage .22
Ruger Mark II 22/45

870 12 gauge
870 20 gauge
Mossberg .410
Mossberg 500 .410

Glock 19 (my CCW weapon)
Bersa Thunder CC (wifes CCW weapon)
Ruger P95DC
Taurus .357

Building a new AR with Slidefire stock for the coming Zombie Wars :strong:

Just thought of something after seeing your list.

Make sure you have brand name stuff if you actually want it to last. Any variant of a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 will have parts that you can usually get replaced. The Mossberg 500, in particular, seems like it's been manufactured under a LOT of names but the gun is always the same. They're reliable and common guns. Don't go and pick up a Vietnam era Nagant at a gun auction because it's cheap and think it'll be a staple of a useful gun collection.

DarkHorse
01-19-2012, 09:54 AM
I prefer 870's over 500's all day long - both are great guns but the safety on the 500's are ****ing garbage. Plastic from the factory and prone to breaking, I replaced the safety on my wifes 500 (squirrel gun) to an aftermarket metal unit.

The other Mossberg .410 is the very first gun I got when I was 12 - it's an old 60's model 183 bolt action, that thing has popped more squirrel over the 26 years i've had it than I can remember :)

Never buy junk, completely agree. Firearms hold their value and that's one area that I would never skimp - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR - and when your life may depend on it you want top quality items.

Pony Boy
01-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Just thought of something after seeing your list.

Make sure you have brand name stuff if you actually want it to last. Any variant of a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 will have parts that you can usually get replaced. The Mossberg 500, in particular, seems like it's been manufactured under a LOT of names but the gun is always the same. They're reliable and common guns. Don't go and pick up a Vietnam era Nagant at a gun auction because it's cheap and think it'll be a staple of a useful gun collection.

I would add a Winchester 30/30 lever action or a Marlin 336C 30/30 lever action, ammo is cheap and available.

That One Guy
01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
I would add a Winchester 30/30 lever action or a Marlin 336C 30/30 lever action, ammo is cheap and available.

I loves me my Winchester 30/30. I made sure to get the angle eject as the straight top eject makes the scope too weird for me. The only problem with them is the shorter range but unless you really work at it, you're not taking any >150 yd shots anywhere, anyways.

Totally agreed, though. What is it... $13 bucks a box for the shells at Wal-Mart? Something like that. I did a lot of shooting it a year or two ago and while my Wal-Mart always had ammo, it seemed like there was a shortage elsewhere. Can't hurt to stock up on a few extra boxes, anyways.

Pony Boy
01-19-2012, 11:06 AM
I loves me my Winchester 30/30. I made sure to get the angle eject as the straight top eject makes the scope too weird for me. The only problem with them is the shorter range but unless you really work at it, you're not taking any >150 yd shots anywhere, anyways.

Totally agreed, though. What is it... $13 bucks a box for the shells at Wal-Mart? Something like that. I did a lot of shooting it a year or two ago and while my Wal-Mart always had ammo, it seemed like there was a shortage elsewhere. Can't hurt to stock up on a few extra boxes, anyways.

Right, the Winchester model 94ís were designed to eject fired cases up and over the shooter's shoulder when the lever is operated so mounting a scope has to be from the side. That's why the Marlin 336C has become so popular with the side ejection. I prefer the Winn 94 with no scope, it's a great short-range option. I would love to get my hands on a pre 64 in good condition but they are getting hard to find and priced too high. I have a pre 64 model 88 lever action with a scope in a rare 358 caliber and have stock piled several boxes of ammo. The 358 was a 308 cartridge necked out to a 35 cal. If you can find a Winn model 88 lever in a 308 it would be worth adding to your collection.

alkemical
01-19-2012, 11:07 AM
www.rareseeds.com

Chris
01-19-2012, 11:31 AM
http://www.marieclaire.com/cm/marieclaire/images/Pk/msandmrs-Working-Girls-Survival-Kit-MC-WorkingGirl-fb.JPG

http://s4.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/C8089B1C.jpg

gyldenlove
01-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Sell the little car, fill the big car with beer and cans of beans - you will be okay.

strafen
01-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Having guns is nice, but that won't feed you.
What you need to do is assess what you think it might happen.
Nobody knows obviously, but if you think about it, the most common thing(s) during wars, natural disasters and what have you is how quickly people run out of water and food.
Make sure you stock up on food, portable heaters, electric generators, propane gas, burning wood, batteries, have a stash of fuel (diesel or gasoline) in a secured place that can resist extreme temperature, water, cans of food, seeds to grow vegetables indoors, lots of plastic bags and trash bags.

you need to picture yourself being in a situation where you may not have running water. What are you going to do to keep your hygiene?
How are you preparing to deal with your own waste?
Enter plastic bags and trash bags. You need 5-gallon buckets that you can put a plastic bag in it to use as your portable toilet ;)

Also, if you have set yourself up, realize that many people may not be as fortunate, therefore that makes you a target. Have ready dark drapes to cover your windows, extra plywood, some basic construction tools and materials, first aid equipment and medicine.

Just prepare for the worse and hope for the best. You don't know if something was to happen that it may take years for the surviving people to rebuild, or how long it will take for you to survive with what you have.

And yes, guns...

Chris
01-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Let's be real people in America watch a lot of movies that freak them out about **** that is extremely unlikely to ever happen.

cabronco
01-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Lot's of useful information on this thread. Check it out.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/185417-any-fellow-survivalists-utilize-their-truck.html

Thx for the link, some good info in there. Reminds me I need to gather some stuff and keep together, like my leatherman & gerber tool. Duct tape is essential multipurpose item too.

strafen
01-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Let's be real people in America watch a lot of movies that freak them out about **** that is extremely unlikely to ever happen.

As long as there are al-Qaeda, Iran and nuclear material in the hands of terrorists, you can't never let your guard down.
I'm one of those people that believe in the bible. If the bible doesn't say anything about Dec 21, 2012 then, I'm not going to worrry too much.
i do still consider what they're saying about the alignment of the planets during that date and some other stuff that are set to occur that nobody knows with certainty the effects that it will have on earth...

Beantown Bronco
01-19-2012, 12:06 PM

And the one common theme, at least to me: better to die in the initial event, whatever it is. The survivors never have it easy when all is said and done. It's too much work to "survive", fight off whatever zombies or enemies are attacking, and rebuild everything. Best to just die and go to heaven or wherever.

DenverBrit
01-19-2012, 12:07 PM
What rifle is he holding there? I don't think I've seen the low barrel like that. Seems like it'd cause accuracy problems.

It looks like an early L1A1 Self-Loading Rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L1A1_Self-Loading_Rifle

DenverBrit
01-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Essential for survival. Just ask for each order to come 'filled' :D

http://waiversharks.com/files/2008/12/victorias-secret-catalog-cover.jpg

DarkHorse
01-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Having guns is nice, but that won't feed you.
What you need to do is assess what you think it might happen.
Nobody knows obviously, but if you think about it, the most common thing(s) during wars, natural disasters and what have you is how quickly people run out of water and food.
Make sure you stock up on food, portable heaters, electric generators, propane gas, burning wood, batteries, have a stash of fuel (diesel or gasoline) in a secured place that can resist extreme temperature, water, cans of food, seeds to grow vegetables indoors, lots of plastic bags and trash bags.

you need to picture yourself being in a situation where you may not have running water. What are you going to do to keep your hygiene?
How are you preparing to deal with your own waste?
Enter plastic bags and trash bags. You need 5-gallon buckets that you can put a plastic bag in it to use as your portable toilet ;)

Also, if you have set yourself up, realize that many people may not be as fortunate, therefore that makes you a target. Have ready dark drapes to cover your windows, extra plywood, some basic construction tools and materials, first aid equipment and medicine.

Just prepare for the worse and hope for the best. You don't know if something was to happen that it may take years for the surviving people to rebuild, or how long it will take for you to survive with what you have.

And yes, guns...

Spot on post - however....

When the SHTF the first thing that is going to happen is complete anarchy, rapes, murders, looting, etc......

Look at some of the reactions in California after court cases - they go completely nuts and start burning down their own cities.

Think about the animals that will hit the streets if something big were to ever happen.

Guns first - take whatever you need after you're safe from animals. But yeah your post is spot on.

bowtown
01-19-2012, 01:20 PM
And the one common theme, at least to me: better to die in the initial event, whatever it is. The survivors never have it easy when all is said and done. It's too much work to "survive", fight off whatever zombies or enemies are attacking, and rebuild everything. Best to just die and go to heaven or wherever.

^This

And welcome back. You've been missed.

Chris
01-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Based on this thread if I watch less movies and don't read the bible I will be fine.

Plus, my uncle looks like Macgyver (not modern fat Macgyver either).

broncolife
01-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Tebow:.....O-line......

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM

I'm pretty sure thats an FAL .308LR or a variant of said rifle.

I'm building an AR10 which is also a .308. I've already got my Armalite lower receiver which is the only part of the rifle that has to go through a licensed dealer. Gonna build my own rifle!

I also have an SKS semi auto rifle and an Springfield Armory XDM .40 SW. I've also got a 30.06 hunting rifle, a 16 gauge bird gun and a .22 rifle.

That One Guy
01-19-2012, 05:26 PM

I'm building an AR10 which is also a .308. I've already got my Armalite lower receiver which is the only part of the rifle that has to go through a licensed dealer. Gonna build my own rifle!

I also have an SKS semi auto rifle and an Springfield Armory XDM .40 SW. I've also got a 30.06 hunting rifle, a 16 gauge bird gun and a .22 rifle.

I think that's the weirdest thing ever. The grooves in the barrel are the fingerprint to the bullet yet the barrel isn't regulated.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 05:47 PM
loling hard at this thread.

DenverBrit
01-19-2012, 05:56 PM

Correct. The L1A1 SLR is a variant of the FAL. And that's what's he's carrying.

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/8/81/HFL1A1SLR-4.jpg

Meck77
01-19-2012, 06:03 PM
I get a kick out of when people talk about "survival". My family has been calling it farming/ranching for 5 generations. Americans call it survival. Most of the world calls it living.

That One Guy
01-19-2012, 06:15 PM
I get a kick out of when people talk about "survival". My family has been calling it farming/ranching for 5 generations. Americans call it survival. Most of the world calls it living.

Uhh... no. Survival is about making it when things start to go wrong. Anyone farming on a large scale scene would be so inundated with thieves that they wouldn't even be able to call themselves farmers afterward.

That One Guy
01-19-2012, 06:16 PM
loling hard at this thread.

It's always a good time to talk guns.

orinjkrush
01-19-2012, 07:25 PM
you can go practice TEOTWAWKI. pack your backpack, take your guns/ammo/survival gear with your significant other and go hike for a week in the wilderness.

then come back and rethink.

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Correct. The L1A1 SLR is a variant of the FAL. And that's what's he's carrying.

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/8/81/HFL1A1SLR-4.jpg

that's a great rifle. I went with the AR10 platform because my friend has all the tools to build the AR platform as apposed to an FAL platform.

Tombstone RJ
01-19-2012, 07:32 PM
It's always a good time to talk guns.

guns are cool.

GoHAM
01-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Guns and Gold* will be the 2 commodities when society goes south, and...

if you have the Guns, you can get the Gold*.

*Or clean water, or food, or etc. Society will revert to basic survival and that always comes down to who's the baddest (or best armed) MF on the block.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 09:54 PM

*Or clean water, or food, or etc. Society will revert to basic survival and that always comes down to who's the baddest (or best armed) MF on the block.

People have been preparing for post-apocalyptic times for literally thousands of years.

So good luck with that, guys.

GoHAM
01-19-2012, 09:56 PM
People have been preparing for post-apocalyptic times for literally thousands of years.

Of course often times, the guys with the Gold* have Guns too. :peace:

broncolife
01-19-2012, 10:16 PM

Its not just about preparing for the post apocalpyse but being prepared for any disaster. Last year we had a big power outage and everybody cleaned out all the stores. I think of the LA riots and know people look for any excuse to loot and destroy. I pretty sure that trucker wish he had a gun on him instead of having his head bashed in by a brick.

Requiem
01-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Gonna head out to Californie Way, get me some good Internets out there after SOPA legislation passes.

broncolife
01-20-2012, 12:37 AM

I can see porn being just as good as gold :)

Just replace Paper with porn or boobies
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/515-EfhXne0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/515-EfhXne0?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Vegas_Bronco
01-20-2012, 06:08 AM
http://beprepared.com/

That One Guy
01-20-2012, 06:17 AM
http://beprepared.com/

I can't click that link until you promise it wont take me to that terrible song by Scar's minions in Lion King.

BroncsRule
01-20-2012, 07:02 AM
If things go south, you really don't want to be one of the a$$hats out on the street, competing for rapidly disapearing resources with a brand new gun you've only practiced with once. That will only end badly.

If you can afford several thousand dollars for guns & ammo, you can afford another couple thousand for emergency rations and water jugs.

Hunker down - stay off the streets. Let the dip$hits thin themselves out. See which way the wind is blowing after a few weeks.

BroncsRule
01-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Oh, and get the f#$k out of the city. Beforehand.

alkemical
01-20-2012, 10:48 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-8013618-Pocket-Water-Microfilter/dp/B0007U00YE

Pony Boy
01-20-2012, 10:55 AM

Or you could just boil your water

DenverBrit
01-20-2012, 10:56 AM
that's a great rifle. I went with the AR10 platform because my friend has all the tools to build the AR platform as apposed to an FAL platform.

It really is. When NATO switched caliber to 5.56. the L1A1 lost out and was replaced with a bullpup design that's still unloved by many.

Good luck with your build.

alkemical
01-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Or you could just boil your water

If you have to travel on foot for a bit - you might not always have a pot to boil water with.

Pony Boy
01-20-2012, 11:08 AM
If you have to travel on foot for a bit - you might not always have a pot to boil water with.

I see your point but I backpacked a lot in Colorado when I was a young pup and the first 2 things I attached to my pack was a water bottle and a pot. I always packed matches in a waterproof box and flint with fire starter as a back up if needed.

alkemical
01-20-2012, 11:10 AM
I see your point but I backpacked a lot in Colorado when I was a young pup and the first 2 things I attached to my pack was a water bottle and a pot. I always packed matches in a waterproof box and flint with fire starter as a back up if needed.

Where I live, we also have a lot of fracking & ag - so i'm weird about the water "only being boiled".

Chris
01-20-2012, 11:12 AM
I will offer full insurance to any of you in the event of the apocalypse. How does that sound?

El Guapo
01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
The girl in your Avatar for starters

Agreed on Misa Campo. Mmmm.

You know its not all about weapons, right? I mean, I have my fair share, but you need camping supplies, food, ways to clean water for hydration, etc. Lookup "bugout bags," theyre designed to keep you alive the first (and critical) 72 hours.

That One Guy
01-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Agreed on Misa Campo. Mmmm.

You know its not all about weapons, right? I mean, I have my fair share, but you need camping supplies, food, ways to clean water for hydration, etc. Lookup "bugout bags," theyre designed to keep you alive the first (and critical) 72 hours.

First and foremost, an appropriate mindset is most important. That's why I don't mind indulging my imagination at times. What would you do if the water stopped running? Power went out? Grocery stores ran out? Most people would freak out, riot, and we'd see New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. It's those who know how to problem solve, stay calm, and be smart with resources that'd be in the best circumstances to survive.

I won't necessarily get a tinfoil hat nor build a nuclear bunker but stocking up on food, ammo, etc. is plenty reasonable for real life and some "what if...?" scenarios.

Pony Boy
01-20-2012, 12:41 PM
First and foremost, an appropriate mindset is most important. That's why I don't mind indulging my imagination at times. What would you do if the water stopped running? Power went out? Grocery stores ran out? Most people would freak out, riot, and we'd see New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. It's those who know how to problem solve, stay calm, and be smart with resources that'd be in the best circumstances to survive.

I won't necessarily get a tinfoil hat nor build a nuclear bunker but stocking up on food, ammo, etc. is plenty reasonable for real life and some "what if...?" scenarios.

In a real life disaster that went on for a year or so a 22 shell would spend like a dollar bill, my guess would be about 5 shells for a can of soup.

Broncos4tw
01-20-2012, 08:56 PM
What you are looking for is a bug out bag (or bail out bag) - BoB. Example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug-out_bag

However, the reality is in a disaster situation, this probably won't do squat for someone. And if everyone is heading for the hills, it behooves you to stay behind, where there will be plenty of resources. How many people in Japan recently had time to grab their bags, or how useful where they, really? Probably not much.

And that said, there is no need for one of these in 2012, as nothing extraordinary is going to happen. How anyone could think the Mayans.. who thought it was a good idea to pierce their own dongs and burn the blood as a sacrifice to the "gods" (i.e. sun, moon, planets and stars, and the occasional comet), boggles my mind. They killed friends and family as sacrifices to make sure the crop gods didn't let them down. And people think they had an inside scoop to the distant future? I am thinking not. The ability to watch the stars and create accurate calendars doesn't make one precognizant.

Tombstone RJ
01-20-2012, 09:04 PM

However, the reality is in a disaster situation, this probably won't do squat for someone. And if everyone is heading for the hills, it behooves you to stay behind, where there will be plenty of resources. How many people in Japan recently had time to grab their bags, or how useful where they, really? Probably not much.

And that said, there is no need for one of these in 2012, as nothing extraordinary is going to happen. How anyone could think the Mayans.. who thought it was a good idea to pierce their own dongs and burn the blood as a sacrifice to the "gods" (i.e. sun, moon, planets and stars, and the occasional comet), boggles my mind. They killed friends and family as sacrifices to make sure the crop gods didn't let them down. And people think they had an inside scoop to the distant future? I am thinking not. The ability to watch the stars and create accurate calendars doesn't make one precognizant.

:rofl:

so true... but I just want to fly my freak flag and pretend that the world is ending... this way I have an excuse to build guns...

That One Guy
01-20-2012, 09:33 PM

I don't recall the exact line and I believe I read it here on the Mane but I thought it was awesome when someone said the Mayans supposedly could predict the end of the world but couldn't predict the Spaniards coming to wipe their asses out.

TheReverend
01-20-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't recall the exact line and I believe I read it here on the Mane but I thought it was awesome when someone said the Mayans supposedly could predict the end of the world but couldn't predict the Spaniards coming to wipe their asses out.

Think that's me.

TheReverend
01-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Yup

They should've focused on predicting when the Spanish were going to come and rape their civilization to it's foundation.

These guys were NOT nearly as profound as people give them credit for, and are EASILY the most overrated ancient civilization out there:

The calendar they get so much credit for? Actually founded by the Olmecs.

Their pyramids ain't got **** on the Egyptians.

To commune with the spirits their head shaman would mutilate his dick (dead serious) and bleed out from it to receive visions from the spirit world.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3135178&postcount=53

broncolife
01-20-2012, 10:38 PM

hmm. So the Japanese should have just stayed behind? As you can see different type of disaster were planning for. Disasters will happen and thats a fact. Wars will happen and thats a fact. Terrorist will attack and thats a fact. I dont see why people shouldnt be prepared for the worst, especially when you have family members to look after. Who wants to watch their kids starve or be raped and killed by some loonatic. We might not be able to save our family during the intial disaster but we have an opportunity to give them a better chance to survive in the aftermath of a disaster.

Disasters Im worried about the most:
Earthquakes
Floods
Economic Collapse
Fires
Terrorist Attack
War

No point in worrying about a tsunami because if its big enough to hit here Im dead.

TheReverend
01-20-2012, 10:42 PM
hmm. So the Japanese should have just stayed behind? As you can see different type of disaster were planning for. Disasters will happen and thats a fact. Wars will happen and thats a fact. Terrorist will attack and thats a fact. I dont see why people shouldnt be prepared for the worst, especially when you have family members to look after. Who wants to watch their kids starve or be raped and killed by some loonatic. We might not be able to save our family during the intial disaster but we have an opportunity to give them a better chance to survive in the aftermath of a disaster.

Disasters Im worried about the most:
Earthquakes
Floods
Economic Collapse
Fires
Terrorist Attack
War

No point in worrying about a tsunami because if its big enough to hit here Im dead.

I used to live in Escondido... You can basically eliminate EVERY item on that list bro.

broncolife
01-20-2012, 10:54 PM
I used to live in Escondido... You can basically eliminate EVERY item on that list bro.

Why?

Earthquakes (southern Califronia)
Floods (live next to a lake)
Economic Collapse (affect the whole country)
Fires (Southern Califronia)
Terrorist Attack (near San diego)
War (affects the whole country)

TheReverend
01-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Why?

Earthquakes (southern Califronia) - I lived at Pendleton and surrounding areas (San Marco, Carlsbad, Escondido) for 5 years and I FELT one tremor the entire time
Floods (live next to a lake) - Oh the humanity! Wohlford? And what exactly has you concerned with floods?
Economic Collapse (affect the whole country) - There was barely any violence during the great depression so living in a super safe suburb like Escondido what would possibly lead to higher concern?
Fires (Southern Califronia) - Legit
Terrorist Attack (near San diego) - 30 miles away, thatd be one hell of a terrorist attack
War (affects the whole country) - And who are you expecting to invade Southern California? Not to mention considering the proximity of Pendleton and Coronado and Edwards might even be the safest spot on the planet from any invasion

In bold. Some paranoid people ITT for sure.

Cito Pelon
01-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Crossbow and longbow to back up my firearms and ammo stockpile. My neighbor McGyver I'm keeping as a good buddy, he's a solid pal. Resourceful dude.

broncolife
01-21-2012, 12:39 AM
In bold. Some paranoid people ITT for sure.

Earthquakes (southern Califronia) - I lived at Pendleton and surrounding areas (San Marco, Carlsbad, Escondido) for 5 years and I FELT one tremor the entire time

Well I lived in Escondido for 34 years. I guess you missed the one in L.A. Also according to some predictions the west coast is next up on the ROF.

Floods (live next to a lake) - Oh the humanity! Wohlford? And what exactly has you concerned with floods?

One of my friends on my high school football team died in a flood in Esco. The one im worried about would be much bigger like the one in the early 1900s.

Economic Collapse (affect the whole country) - There was barely any violence during the great depression so living in a super safe suburb like Escondido what would possibly lead to higher concern?

Hahahaha you must not have been here for awhile. The illegals have taken over Escondido. Our house has been broken into 6 times and 1 was while we were still in it. Luckly they didnt have a gun or the outcome would have been different.Plenty of gang violence here. A couple people close to me have been carjacked and shot. The other day my mom saw some guy pull up to the car in front of her and point a gun at them. The list could go on. People are capable of many things especially when they are desparate.

Fires (Southern Califronia) - Legit

Terrorist Attack (near San diego) - 30 miles away, thatd be one hell of a terrorist attack

People paniced about the radiation from japan. How do you think people would react with a dirty bomb in there own backyard.

War (affects the whole country) - And who are you expecting to invade Southern California?

I never said I expected California to be invaded.But if we did get invaded I think it would be a world war. China,Russia,Iran,N.Korea and not all necessary working together.I believe they could do enough destractions by attacking other countries to leave our borders open to attack.S.Korea, Tawain, Japan, Israel all countries we would have to defend. Which could allow a country like Russia to hit us. Not saying they would win but could probably set foot on our land. Also It doesnt have to be S.California, it could be anywhere in United states and I think it would cause alot of panic especially with all this doomsday stuff going around.

Not to mention considering the proximity of Pendleton and Coronado and Edwards might even be the safest spot on the planet from any invasion

Being around Military bases is the last place I would want to be when bombs are dropping.

Man its not like Im building a fricken bomb shelter and stocking up on 10 years supplies. I just want to be able to defend my family and have enough supplies to last a couple weeks. And if we run out of supplies and cant live off the land I guess I will be the one Looting :)

alkemical
01-21-2012, 03:54 AM
a boyscout handbook would be handy too.

TheReverend
01-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Man its not like Im building a fricken bomb shelter and stocking up on 10 years supplies. I just want to be able to defend my family and have enough supplies to last a couple weeks. And if we run out of supplies and cant live off the land I guess I will be the one Looting :)

I think you're a littttttttttttttttttttle crazy but have at it!

broncolife
01-21-2012, 02:21 PM

I could turn this into a name calling biatch fest but I wont. I dont see how you think buying a gun to defend your family is crazy. People break into homes and kill people every day. And thats without a big disaster as an excuse. We had a power outage here and all the stores were empty. Thats was just a power outage causing panic. So it would be nice having food and water available and not rely on the last time I shopped.

Bronco Yoda
02-07-2012, 07:46 PM
One of the number one things is water filtration. No matter what the emergency you need clean water. Boiling water isn't always practical or feasible.

http://shop.monolithic.com/collections/emergency-preparedness/products/just-water-complete-pressure-bucket-system

I have this kit. you can disassemble the parts and make it into a small one man portable, keep it with the 5 gallon buckets for a full size family or you can use the parts with a couple of 55 gal. trash cans to supply an entire village.

Water filters are really cheap. This is the same thing missionaries use in 3rd world hell holes. EVERY PERSON SHOULD AT LEAST HAVE ONE OF THESE. you can store whatever in the buckets also when not in use.

For a weapon, I like my AR15. It's a versatile platform. Compact and lightweight.

The standard upper shoots a .223 but I also have .22 bolt adapter. All you do is swap out the bolt (takes just a min.) and you can use cheap 22 ammo!!!!

Best of all is the .50 cal upper I have for it. (extra $900) For those times when you need to put a hole through an engine block. Just swap out the upper in a snap and go blasting. Everyone takes notice at the range when you pull the trigger on this baby:giggle:

What other gun can you go from a .22 to a .50 cal. with 30 round clips!

This is the gun you want if you can pick only one! :curtsey:

Dutch
02-07-2012, 08:18 PM

I don't know that he is too crazy, Rev. I worked with one guy who grew up next to Watts and was there when the riots went down back in the summer of '65 and another who was in LA for the Rodney King riots in '92 (35 and 50 killed and scores seriously injured in both). Both were wishing they were packing. I get the home safety thing. 12 Gauge non rifled tactical shotgun with an 18" barrel would be my recommendation. Easy access to inexpensive ammo (every gun and fishing store stocks shells with no federal restrictions on production) allowing plenty of rounds and plenty of places to get used to the weapon and how to fire it effectively. The added bonus in a pump is one of the single most recognizable sounds in firearms...the chambering of a pump shotgun shell, that sound alone will make those questioning their commitment to do malice look elsewhere. Load with alternating Low-recoil Double Ought Buckshot and Deerslugs. The Double Ought will get their heads down, and the slugs can shoot through anything in the house (fridge included) they hide behind.

Punisher
02-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Two words
Guerrilla warfare

SouthStndJunkie
02-08-2012, 01:31 AM

I've got a waterproof SAS survival handbook that covers pretty much every survival scenario out there.

alkemical
02-08-2012, 08:11 AM
One of the number one things is water filtration. No matter what the emergency you need clean water. Boiling water isn't always practical or feasible.

http://shop.monolithic.com/collections/emergency-preparedness/products/just-water-complete-pressure-bucket-system

I have this kit. you can disassemble the parts and make it into a small one man portable, keep it with the 5 gallon buckets for a full size family or you can use the parts with a couple of 55 gal. trash cans to supply an entire village.

Water filters are really cheap. This is the same thing missionaries use in 3rd world hell holes. EVERY PERSON SHOULD AT LEAST HAVE ONE OF THESE. you can store whatever in the buckets also when not in use.

For a weapon, I like my AR15. It's a versatile platform. Compact and lightweight.

The standard upper shoots a .223 but I also have .22 bolt adapter. All you do is swap out the bolt (takes just a min.) and you can use cheap 22 ammo!!!!

Best of all is the .50 cal upper I have for it. (extra $900) For those times when you need to put a hole through an engine block. Just swap out the upper in a snap and go blasting. Everyone takes notice at the range when you pull the trigger on this baby:giggle:

What other gun can you go from a .22 to a .50 cal. with 30 round clips!

This is the gun you want if you can pick only one! :curtsey:

I'm with ya on the water. :)

alkemical
02-08-2012, 08:12 AM
I've got a waterproof SAS survival handbook that covers pretty much every survival scenario out there.

Very nice!

I figured an intro into knots, lean-to's, etc would be a good start for most people.

:)

Where'd you score that?

JLesSPE
02-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Best of all is the .50 cal upper I have for it. (extra $900)

That sounds awesome! Who makes it?

Requiem
02-08-2012, 11:49 AM
There are a bunch of good resources online, even Kindle books for free on anything regarding the outdoors, camping, hunting, shelter building, etc. All aspects of survival. Check 'em out.

Bronco Yoda
02-08-2012, 02:19 PM
That sounds awesome! Who makes it?

Beowulf :strong:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0CrUARlmqso" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW, If you're on a budget or just looking for an affordable entry level AR for self defense (half the price of most others). Most gun shops have this model.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Hcr-vxP4Ec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a .22 bolt kit for your AR15

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8B85-oBbZyM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hope this was helpful for some.

elsid13
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM

I just pulled out my old one to see if it was usefully and the answer is no. But on page 436 there is nice section on family recreation.

JLesSPE
02-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Awesome, thanks man! I've built a few ARs, I shoot a few 3 gun competitions every year so they're light competition rifles. I just hadn't seen the .50 upper. Its now near the top of my list. I'm mid build on my first AR-10 also.

Bronco Yoda
02-08-2012, 02:48 PM
You can also get a suppressor (silencer) for it. :)

bronco militia
02-08-2012, 02:49 PM
thanks for the info...good stuff

~Crash~
02-08-2012, 04:30 PM
pigs