PDA

View Full Version : Time to completely re-scheme the offense (Kubiak style?)

IHaveALight
01-18-2012, 09:18 PM
After our (McDanials) offense got destroyed by New England last week and with McCoy hopefully on his way to become a head coach, it's time to get the McDanials stink out of our offense and bring in a completely different system.

I think most of us would agree that bringing in the Kubiak offense would be ideal but obviously Kubiak or Dennison won't be an option. But what about their oline coach, John Benton? http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches/john-benton/aa5a8e16-e5e0-48ad-bd9f-9f0dc824e854 He's a CSU alum from Durango to boot.

mwill07
01-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Doesn't Houston run some variant of the west-coast offense? Not sure we need to complicate things right now, nor am I sure Tebow could thrive in a precision passing offense.

IHaveALight
01-18-2012, 09:43 PM
I think Tebow would thrive in a zone blocking, run to set up the pass, play action, bootleg offense with some option added in. Kubiak offenses produce great rushing attacks yearly, imagine what that system could do adding a little option in with the Tebow run / threat. The ground game would be very effective and it would immensely open up the passing game, especially with the bootlegs.

Vegas_Bronco
01-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Take tebow and west coast offense out of your rhetoric for the next 24 months and your life will become much less complicated. This guy needs shannahan worse than any qb that has played in orange and blue. Hopefully we find him a great qb coach this offseason.

ThirtyDegrees
01-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Take tebow and west coast offense out of your rhetoric for the next 24 months and your life will become much less complicated. This guy needs shannahan worse than any qb that has played in orange and blue. Hopefully we find him a great qb coach this offseason.

That QB guru Mike Shanahan that groomed Brian Griese to superstardom!

R8R H8R
01-18-2012, 10:56 PM

If all we could do this year is find someone to run the same offense as Jake Plummer ran in his 1st or 2nd year w/us, we would be doing fine. Heck, I could see Tebow running those bootlegs, probably better than Plummer.

extralife
01-18-2012, 11:06 PM

you're really dumb

ant1999e
01-18-2012, 11:13 PM
If all we could do this year is find someone to run the same offense as Jake Plummer ran in his 1st or 2nd year w/us, we would be doing fine. Heck, I could see Tebow running those bootlegs, probably better than Plummer.

This. I think of would be successful.

theAPAOps5
01-18-2012, 11:30 PM
After our (McDanials) offense got destroyed by New England last week and with McCoy hopefully on his way to become a head coach, it's time to get the McDanials stink out of our offense and bring in a completely different system.

I think most of us would agree that bringing in the Kubiak offense would be ideal but obviously Kubiak or Dennison won't be an option. But what about their oline coach, John Benton? http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches/john-benton/aa5a8e16-e5e0-48ad-bd9f-9f0dc824e854 He's a CSU alum from Durango to boot.

Who is going to throw in kubiaks offense? Not Tebow, where he is at in his abilities.

cmhargrove
01-19-2012, 07:21 AM

Just checking here.

Why do you think the offense we ran against the Patriots had anything to do with McDaniels? It was 100% a Fox/McCoy offense, and had zero to do with McD.

We learned a great deal about our team this year, and the more I look back, the more excited I am at the prospects. All we need is a good, balanced Offensive Coordinator that commits to a balanced run attack (now that we can run), and has a more developed play action/screen/short passing game. Also, I think that getting a true #1 pass catching TE like Coby Fleener would give an amazing boost to this crew.

Just remove a little of the predictability, add a few playmakers, possibly get a true RT (if Ryan Harris isn't healthy) and our offense will be fine.

I would hope that by next year, we start Clady, Franklin, Walton (or vet replacement), Kuper, and Harris.

ThirtyDegrees
01-19-2012, 07:40 AM
you're really dumb

I'm absolutely floored with grief that you think so.

However, to put it lightly, I am not as enamored with the memory of Mike Shanahan as you are. I remember his failures with Griese, his failures to score in the red zone for years with Griese, Plummer, and Cutler, and his failure to find a way to limit Cutler's mistakes in his final few seasons.

Anyone that looks at Shanahan's tenure (especially with regard to the circus at the QB position) in Washington and dreams wistfully for his return is out of touch with reality.

Edit:

Yet this isn't the point of the thread. What I will say is that I think that the OP is fundamentally flawed for two reasons. First, the offense we ran this year and at New England had nothing to do with McDaniels other than featuring a few of his personnel selections. Second, Kubiak's offense will not work with Tebow as the type of linemen required for the zone blocking scheme are not what's needed to protect a QB in a spread system.

Shotgun Willie
01-19-2012, 08:15 AM

Except for the fact that Tebow has been horrible when passing outside the pocket, on bootlegs, etc.

As inaccurate as he has been all year, Tebow is a much better pocket passer than when he takes off downfield. His biggest struggles this season have come when he has to improvise and throw on the run.

When throwing outside the pocket, Tebow’s completion percentage dropped 13 points while his yards per attempt fell by almost two yards. He tossed nearly four times as many touchdowns as interceptions when inside the pocket, but his touchdown-to-interception ratio outside the pocket was a mediocre one-to-one.

In Week 15 the Patriots flushed Tebow outside the pocket on nine dropbacks. No other Patriots opponent was forced outside the pocket more than five times in a single week. Tebow completed only 2-of-8 passes for 42 yards and took a sack outside the pocket against New England.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/36305/how-the-patriots-can-stop-tim-tebow

55CrushEm
01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
I think Tebow would thrive in a zone blocking, run to set up the pass, play action, bootleg offense with some option added in. Kubiak offenses produce great rushing attacks yearly, imagine what that system could do adding a little option in with the Tebow run / threat. The ground game would be very effective and it would immensely open up the passing game, especially with the bootlegs.

This.

ThirtyDegrees
01-19-2012, 08:39 AM
People forget that Plummer was astonishingly accurate throwing on the run, something that I'm not sure Tebow is.

Dedhed
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM

No, that guy who groomed and rode Cutler deep into the playoffs.

bendog
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
SIGH. Tebow hasn't mastered the Chuck Noll passing scheme yet. Patience.

Dedhed
01-19-2012, 08:42 AM
People forget that Plummer was astonishingly accurate throwing on the run, something that I'm not sure Tebow is.

Tebow's proven far more accurate on the run than he has from the pocket. Which makes it utterly astounding to me that we called 2-3 designed roll outs in 13 games this year. Baffling to me.

ThirtyDegrees
01-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Tebow's proven far more accurate on the run than he has from the pocket. Which makes it utterly astounding to me that we called 2-3 designed roll outs in 13 games this year. Baffling to me.

Has he been more accurate on the run, or has he found more success with midrange passes after scrambling due to breakdowns in coverage?

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Who is going to throw in kubiaks offense? Not Tebow, where he is at in his abilities.

Dude. The guy squeezed wins out of his 3rd string QB to get into the playoffs.

McCoy's record of success as an OC?

1-5 with Kyle Orton
8-5 with Tim Tebow.

Hater conclusion? Tebow sucks and McCoy is some kind of genius.

Irrational.

theAPAOps5
01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Dude. The guy squeezed wins out of his 3rd string QB to get into the playoffs.

McCoy's record of success as an OC?

1-5 with Kyle Orton
8-5 with Tim Tebow.

Hater conclusion? Tebow sucks and McCoy is some kind of genius.

Irrational.

Wrong but you are fundamentally retarded so no need explaining. Just keep going to your "hater" excuse when people make points you don't like. :spit:

Just in case you actually have a cell of life, I am saying Kubiak is not the offense for Tebow. So don't switch to it. Find someone else who can create an offense to Tebow. You think McCoy can't, I am not so sure. Not that Tebow sucks but that his skillset isn't geared to Kubiak's style.

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Wrong but you are fundamentally retarded so no need explaining. Just keep going to your "hater" excuse when people make points you don't like. :spit:

Just in case you actually have a cell of life, I am saying Kubiak is not the offense for Tebow. So don't switch to it. Find someone else who can create an offense to Tebow. You think McCoy can't, I am not so sure. Not that Tebow sucks but that his skillset isn't geared to Kubiak's style.

My point was Kubiak's smart enough to make a system work for Tebow. He opened up Leinart with passing right off the bat when he came in. Then he got hurt and Koob started throwing right away with TJ Yates, the guy nobody heard of until Koob needed him.

Did Kubiak change the offense for the two backups? Sure. But did he put them on ice for the first half and then expect them to pull off miracle comebacks. Nah. That wouldn't be smart.

DivineLegion
01-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Mike Martz!!!...err...nm

bronco militia
01-19-2012, 09:28 AM
kubiak is not available, so Mccoy is probably the next best thing.

dammit

cutthemdown
01-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Bad idea. Just keep working on our own offense and then people will copy us. We don't have Arian Foster so the texans offense wouldn't be all that great. Oh we don't have Andre Johnson and that oline either.

uplink
01-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Tebow's proven far more accurate on the run than he has from the pocket.

When he rolls left but not to the right I think.

uplink
01-19-2012, 09:48 AM
I think the biggest things the broncos can do: 1) get an OC that can come up with a creative potent offense using Tebow's skill set. It should allow for Tebow's continuing progression as a passer. 2) get in some engineers to see if there is a way to make the home stadium louder to improve the home field advantage as in the old days.

Popps
01-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Yeah, well... it was the "McDaniels" offense that destroyed us last week.
(i.e. spread, New England offense.)

What we ran against NE last week had zero to do with McDaniels system. It's been completely revamped to cater to a young QB who runs well and doesn't throw very well yet.

The kid needs a full offseason, with the same OC and head coach. Hopefully he'll be lucky enough to get it. We don't need to rip up the playbook and confuse the kid further, again.

Just leave **** alone. We won a playoff game. How about just leaving **** alone for once?

Popps
01-19-2012, 10:07 AM
I think the biggest things the broncos can do: 1) get an OC that can come up with a creative potent offense using Tebow's skill set. It should allow for Tebow's continuing progression as a passer. 2) get in some engineers to see if there is a way to make the home stadium louder to improve the home field advantage as in the old days.

We already have one. Tebow's skill set involves mostly running, eluding rushers and throwing occasional deep balls.

Check.
Check.
Check.

Our OC and coach utilized those skills the best they could, and were extremely successful.

Now, it's time for Timmy to learn to make some basic NFL throws. He has all offseason to do so. If he can, the staff will implement them.

Shotgun Willie
01-19-2012, 11:09 AM

You couldn't be more wrong.

Please provide some evidence. My link provided earlier shows the EXACT opposite is true.

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Yeah, well... it was the "McDaniels" offense that destroyed us last week.
(i.e. spread, New England offense.)

What we ran against NE last week had zero to do with McDaniels system. It's been completely revamped to cater to a young QB who runs well and doesn't throw very well yet.

And by 'cater to' you mean taking a guy used to running and throwing in a wide open spread and instead crowding every person on the field around him in a tight box, his only outlet being 2 wide receivers who had 400 yards combined last year, even though he's used to 4 WR's on the field pretty much all the time.

Sounds like we need a new caterer. :)

BroncoBen
01-19-2012, 01:07 PM

I think the Broncos want Tebow to be more of Pro-Style QB.. reading defenses, stepping up in the pocket and making throws. The Option Read is going to be in the playbook, but I don't think it gets used that much.

Elway did say the other day that when he was young and starting in the NFL, he used his legs too much by running the ball. And that is one thing he would have changed, not run so much.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Not that Tebow sucks but that his skillset isn't geared to Kubiak's style.

NotSureIfSrs

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I think the Broncos want Tebow to be more of Pro-Style QB.. reading defenses, stepping up in the pocket and making throws. The Option Read is going to be in the playbook, but I don't think it gets used that much.

Elway did say the other day that when he was young and starting in the NFL, he used his legs too much by running the ball. And that is one thing he would have changed, not run so much.

I think he forgets that early in his career conservative playcalling probably took away a lot his options until running with the ball was the only thing left available to him.

It's funny for me to think that people believe that you can constantly send two wideouts out against the other team's best DB's and expect them to get open every play. Elway never became an elite pocket passer until he had enough weapons to spread a defense thin. Shannon Sharpe changed everything.

HumbleNJH
01-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I want Dennison. I don't know if that is possible, but that would be ideal.

2KBack
01-19-2012, 03:11 PM

Cutler, Shannahan and playoffs....not a combination that was ever experienced