PDA

View Full Version : Bailey: Tebow needs to learn how to read defenses

Ratboy
01-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Asked if Tebow will ever be a quarterback who stands in the pocket and reads defenses, Bailey said Tebow has no choice in that matter if he wants to make it in the NFL.

I think at some point hell have to be if he wants to play a long time, Bailey said. Thats one area hes going to have to improve to be elite in this league. But the things he does running the ball he can make some throws, its just being comfortable doing it. Hes got to get better at it, and when he does, the skys the limit for him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/18/champ-bailey-tim-tebow-has-to-learn-to-throw-from-the-pocket/

Jay3
01-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Agreed.

Has anyone ever noticed that most quarterbacks look like garbage when they first get out there?

Tebow looks odd because his other abilities are so far above most QB's. But very few guys have it figured out when they first get out there.

Archer81
01-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Title is a bit of a stretch, isnt it?

:Broncos:

Ratboy
01-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Title is a bit of a stretch, isnt it?

Hate away =)

SoCalBronco
01-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Accuracy.

The title is lacking it.

Soul-Bronco
01-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Asked if Tebow will ever be a quarterback who stands in the pocket and reads defenses, Bailey said Tebow has no choice in that matter if he wants to make it in the NFL.

I think at some point hell have to be if he wants to play a long time, Bailey said. Thats one area hes going to have to improve to be elite in this league. But the things he does running the ball he can make some throws, its just being comfortable doing it. Hes got to get better at it, and when he does, the skys the limit for him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/18/champ-bailey-tim-tebow-has-to-learn-to-throw-from-the-pocket/

that title sums up baileys quote exactly.............not

peacepipe
Agreed.

Has anyone ever noticed that most quarterbacks look like garbage when they first get out there?Tebow looks odd because his other abilities are so far above most QB's. But very few guys have it figured out when they first get out there.enough with the excuses.

Archer81
Hate away =)

Well if you added ... after, it would be ok. Then people would know there is a but coming.

It appears you came up with the thread title to create a new troll thread. For shame, sirah. For shame.

Ratboy
01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Bailey nailed it though. Tebow can run and do a decent job at managing an offense, but if we want to get to the next level. Tebow needs to stand in the pocket, read a defense, and make that throw.

Jay3
01-18-2012, 06:57 PM
enough with the excuses.

It's not an excuse, it's a relevant piece of information in evaluating a quarterback.

If I thought Tebow would never play better than we saw this year, I'd get rid of him. But based on the fact that new quarterbacks take time to figure it out, I'd bring him back for another season next year.

And that's what the Broncos are going to do, so . . . .

Ratboy
01-18-2012, 07:01 PM
It's not an excuse, it's a relevant piece of information in evaluating a quarterback.

If I thought Tebow would never play better than we saw this year, I'd get rid of him. But based on the fact that new quarterbacks take time to figure it out, I'd bring him back for another season next year.

And that's what the Broncos are going to do, so . . . .

We don't have much of an option either.

TonyR
01-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Champ is clearly a hater...

Mogulseeker
01-18-2012, 07:07 PM
All I'm saying is, Bailey never said that Tebow wont last in the NFL. Just sayin'

Archer81
01-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Tebow is not any different than any other young player. He did some things well this past season. There is nothing to suggest that Tebow will not work hard to overcome the deficiencies in his game.

Next year should be pretty damn exciting.

Turd_Ferguson
01-18-2012, 07:15 PM
This thing is going to be 12 pages by the time Epic and MacGruder get done with it.

myMind
01-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Hate away =)

The title actually makes you sound like the hater.

gunns
01-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Agreed.

Has anyone ever noticed that most quarterbacks look like garbage when they first get out there?

Tebow looks odd because his other abilities are so far above most QB's. But very few guys have it figured out when they first get out there.

Wow, just when I thought I'd heard it all.

DHallblows
01-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Terrible thread title

montrose
01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Everybody knows Tim needs to get better, hell Tim knows he has to get better. Nothing shocking here.

gyldenlove
01-18-2012, 07:33 PM
http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/129118955003654402.jpg

errand
01-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Wow, just when I thought I'd heard it all.

I agree....... kind of like sayin a woman looks ugly because she is so much more beautiful than any other woman in the pageant

BroncoDoom
01-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Nice deceptive thread title a*s. There is a lot more to this article too where Champ says nothing but good stuff and how he is behind Tim 100%.

Ratboy
01-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Taco John supports SOPA.

theAPAOps5
01-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Lame title is hating! :)

cmhargrove
01-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Just had to join in. Thread title sucks and is clearly off track. Champ would probably throat punch you for posting such a "dooshy" title.

DarkHorse
01-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Awesome title, helps with the credibility. Thanks for the waste of time.

Ratboy
01-18-2012, 07:56 PM
More accurate now.

strafen
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
This thing is going to be 12 pages by the time Epic and MacGruder get done with it.In before agamememeneon, MacGruder and Epic!

Ray Finkle
01-18-2012, 08:07 PM
In before agamememeneon, MacGruder and Epic!

Don't forget Rev....

TDmvp
01-18-2012, 08:15 PM
I think some of the 4 mentioned (Rev,Epic,and so on) think Rat is so stupid they won't even bother.

Ratboy
01-18-2012, 08:24 PM
I think some of the 4 mentioned (Rev,Epic,and so on) think Rat is so stupid they won't even bother.

Another Teblower.

TDmvp
01-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Another Teblower.

Yea retard , considering I never wanted us to draft him but don't let facts get in the way of you being a complete and utter moron. It never has before.

Boobs McGee
01-18-2012, 08:48 PM
soooo, what was the OLD thread title?

Vegas_Bronco
01-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Ratboy gave in to sensationalism...how dare you...this is the internet and we have only one truth here.

It basically inferred that champ stated that tebow wasn't gonna make it in the nfl...and that champ could pick off tebow on any given throw.

Ratboy
01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
soooo, what was the OLD thread title?

"Bailey: Tebow won't last in the NFL"

MacGruder
01-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Bailey nailed it though. Tebow can run and do a decent job at managing an offense, but if we want to get to the next level. Tebow needs to stand in the pocket, read a defense, and make that throw.

How are you supposed to stand in the pocket when there is no pocket? There was no pocket for Orton either...

Also, why isn't Bailey's leadership questioned? The D is supposed to be the strength of the team and they were awful against the Pats. They were awful the season before too.

Ratboy
01-18-2012, 11:17 PM
How are you supposed to stand in the pocket when there is no pocket? There was no pocket for Orton either...

Also, why isn't Bailey's leadership questioned? The D is supposed to be the strength of the team and they were awful against the Pats. They were awful the season before too.

Hilarious!

Crow
01-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Tebow looks odd because his other abilities are so far above most QB's.

0.o

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Taco John supports SOPA.

say what??!!!
how did you come to that conclusion ?

Ratboy
01-18-2012, 11:25 PM
say what??!!!
how did you come to that conclusion ?

He is the one who made the first edit to my thread title. It was just a joke, for the day.

KO5K
01-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Thread title is almost as much of a stretch as referring to TGN as a Broncos fan.

ThirtyDegrees
01-19-2012, 06:47 AM

He leads by example. With the exception of Elway (and possibly Shannon Sharpe) no Bronco player has ever been as dominant at their position as Bailey has been for us during his career.

Ever since the injuries to Mobley, Gold, and Wilson the front seven has been absolutely horrible for most of his time here and he has never been anything other than a consumate professional. Nothing he said about Tebow was out of line.

To question Champ Bailey's performance in any facet of the game is ridiculous, but to question his leadership is really out of line.

bendog
01-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Just had to join in. Thread title sucks and is clearly off track. Champ would probably throat punch you for posting such a "dooshy" title.

clearly champ did not say Tebow needs to learn to play in the pocket and read defenses. He most certinaly did not say that!!!!

Dedhed
01-19-2012, 08:00 AM
More accurate now.

Not really. Slightly less overt on the trollness, but still not accurate.

Bailey:"Sky's the limit if Tebow can learn to read defenses" would reflect the actual take and tone of what Bailey said.

Dedhed
01-19-2012, 08:01 AM
clearly champ did not say Tebow needs to learn to play in the pocket and read defenses. He most certinaly did not say that!!!!

Clearly the title does not match the tone and fullness of what Champ said.

alkemical
01-19-2012, 08:01 AM
So most people just don't like the phrasing, regardless of the content? I'm having problems understanding what the problem is with the thread title.

bendog
01-19-2012, 08:03 AM
So most people just don't like the phrasing, regardless of the content? I'm having problems understanding what the problem is with the thread title.

It doesn't praise tebow and it doesn't ignore the fact champ said the kid had to learn to play in the pocket and read defenses to win a championship.

Smiling Assassin27
01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Bailey: The sky is blue, Al Davis is still dead, and Tom Brady's got a purdy mouth.

Butterscotch Stallion
01-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Champ is clearly a hater...

Not at all. objective critique is welcome here. now if he said he quit on the tebow experiment after 6 bad quarters he would not only be a hater, but also a bitch.

Powderaddict
01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Tebow does need to get better at reading and reacting to defenses if he wants to be a starter in the NFL.

He's a young QB, how is this different than any other QB?

DenverBroncosJM
01-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Pretty cool that Charles Barkley posts on the OM...

lolcopter
01-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Dumbass thread title

You a journalism major?

TonyR
01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Not at all. objective critique is welcome here. now if he said he quit on the tebow experiment after 6 bad quarters he would not only be a hater, but also a b****.

So saying that Tebow only had 6 bad quarters over the last 4-5 weeks of the season is "objective"? And please realize that even if Champ felt that way he wouldn't state it publicly.

Butterscotch Stallion
01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Tebow does need to get better at reading and reacting to defenses if he wants to be a starter in the NFL.

Our fans suck. thats how.

Butterscotch Stallion
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
So saying that Tebow only had 6 bad quarters over the last 4-5 weeks of the season is "objective"? And please realize that even if Champ felt that way he wouldn't state it publicly.

Yes, but only because its true.

Dedhed
01-19-2012, 10:30 AM

Because it's Tebow and every incomplete pass or misread has to be proof that he can't possibly make it in the NFL. Mel Kiper and Merril Hoge said as much, so there's really no pint in hoping he'll improve on any aspect of his game.

TonyR
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
...so there's really no pint in hoping he'll improve on any aspect of his game.

I think we're all hoping he improves on several aspects of his game. No?

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Because it's Tebow and every incomplete pass or misread has to be proof that he can't possibly make it in the NFL. Mel Kiper and Merril Hoge said as much, so there's really no pint in hoping he'll improve on any aspect of his game.

God I hate Hoge. With that seething Mormonesque style rage that Khan guy keeps talking about.

A grunt RB who spent most of his time riding the pine in maybe the worst era of Steeler football history. Barely ever sniffed the playoffs let alone a Lombardi, but he's out there lecturing proven champions on what it takes to win it all.

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 10:49 AM
It doesn't praise tebow and it doesn't ignore the fact champ said the kid had to learn to play in the pocket and read defenses to win a championship.

The thread title got changed at some point. At first it said something like:

"Bailey: Tebow will never make it in the NFL" That was superstupid.

jhns
01-19-2012, 11:16 AM

By hoping that he never plays for this team again? Riiiight...

jhns
01-19-2012, 11:18 AM

You act as though bendog can comprehend basic English. Look at him defending the current title, which is something Bailey never said. I don't get why the uneducated like message boards so much. I have always thought it would be pretty embarrassing to show that one can't read or write.

Ratboy
01-19-2012, 11:42 AM

"Bailey: Tebow won't last in the NFL"

Powderaddict
01-19-2012, 11:44 AM

Yes, he NEEDS to improve. Significantly IMO.

But show me a QB after 16 games that doesn't?

BroncoBen
01-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Tebow not only needs to improve reading Defenses... he needs to improve on throwing a ball to a spot.. or a timed throw and trust his WRs to be there, they will be if they run their route.

bendog
01-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Yes, but only because its true.

yeah but this is sort of like saying my 6 year old hasn't fallen off her bike but not noting she's got training wheels. (-P

Dedhed
01-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Don't you listen to anyone. You can't improve once you get to the NFL.

TonyR
01-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Don't you listen to anyone. You can't improve once you get to the NFL.

I'm plagiarizing what somebody else brought up yesterday but some of the same improvement needs have been mentioned about Tebow going all the way back to high school (see below). And you know this is the stuff that was said about him before and after the NFL draft. This offseason he really needs to put these things to rest.

Brings big-time athletic ability to the table for a quarterback prospect. Has a strong arm and above average speed and elusiveness. Showed positive leadership ability in quarterbacking his team to the state title as a high school senior. Physical enough player to also play linebacker or fullback should quarterback not work out. Needs to work on accuracy, touch, and gain a better grasp of the fundamentals of the passing game.http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Tim-Tebow-31436

A huge quarterback with a powerful arm, Tebow is a tremendous all-around athlete that would be being talked about at other positions if it weren't for a big league left arm. His mechanics will need to be refined on the college level, but he has more than enough physical tools.http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1735241

bendog
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I didn't post it, but I recall it. He really lost 4 years with Urban Meyer. Look at Alex Smith. He's not running a real complex offense, but he's only now becomming competent. Tebow throws a deep pass that cannot be taught. He doesn't really have much of an ability to feel pressure w/o looking at it, but he's young. The only worrisome thing to me, besides wondering just how badly he wants it and what he's willing to give up, is when I look at a guy like Sanchez who came through what was supposed to be a qb factory.

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm plagiarizing what somebody else brought up yesterday but some of the same improvement needs have been mentioned about Tebow going all the way back to high school. And you know this is the stuff that what said about him before and after the NFL draft. This offseason he really needs to put these things to rest.

The thing is he'll have to work on this stuff throughout his career to improve. It's not like he just checks them off a list one summer and they disappear. During one pregame this year, Phil Simms was talking about how much Aaron Rodgers' mechanics have changed since he was a rookie. He didn't go out one summer and 'fix' his throwing mechanics. He improved them gradually over time.

Like every QB, Tim has strengths and weaknesses. His footwork needs work... which is a widely known problem for spread option QB's. His throwing motion needs to tighten up.

He also has some great strengths, however. First, his work ethic will help him to overcome his weaknesses. As anyone will tell you, work ethic is important because improving those things is a lot of WORK. Not something you just take care of over an offseason.

He also throws a pretty good long ball. He's insanely athletic and motivated. Has a pretty developed pocket sense for a QB his age, and has a rare talent with leadership.

It's cliche stuff that's been tossed around before, but his weaknesses are things that can be improved upon. His strengths are things you can't buy.

Is he a sure thing? No. No QB prospect ever is. But the huge upside is worth giving him a very good look.

TonyR
01-19-2012, 01:04 PM
...his work ethic will help him to overcome his weaknesses...

I agree with your post for the most part but this "work ethic" thing with Tebow gets a little too much play. Most highly successful professional athletes, and most highly successful people in general, have strong work ethics. Do you really think Tebow works harder than Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning, just to name some fellow NFL QB's? These guys all work their asses off. Sure there are some lazy guys here and there that try to get by on their talent, but that's probably far more the exception than the rule. You don't make it to the NFL without working hard, and you don't succeed in the NFL without working hard.

teknic
01-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Tebow not only needs to improve reading Defenses... he needs to improve on throwing a ball to a spot.. or a timed throw and trust his WRs to be there, they will be if they run their route.

The Broncos also need receivers that are able to catch the ball consistently before Tebow starts trusting them to make the play in tight windows.

Would you trust your receivers to run the correct route/ make the correct read and make a play on the ball if your receiving corp lead the league in dropped passes?

I think the play of the receivers will improve significantly after an offseason of reps with Tebow. The whole offense should grow together, the Broncos had the second youngest offense in the league.

BroncoBeavis
01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
I agree with your post for the most part but this "work ethic" thing with Tebow gets a little too much play. Most highly successful professional athletes, and most highly successful people in general, have strong work ethics. Do you really think Tebow works harder than Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning, just to name some fellow NFL QB's? These guys all work their asses off. Sure there are some lazy guys here and there that try to get by on their talent, but that's probably far more the exception than the rule. You don't make it to the NFL without working hard, and you don't succeed in the NFL without working hard.

See, that list gives me the opposite impression. Yeah, all those guys have crazy ambition and work ethics. And they've all gone from good to elite. None of them came into the league as elite pocket passers. They worked and worked and worked to get where they are.

Outside of that group, there are plenty of NFL QB's that I'd say aren't as driven and don't work as hard as Tebow. I don't think Flacco works that hard. Big Ben seems to have a little too much spare time on his hands. I doubt Rivers is burning midnight oil. My impression of Cutler is kinda slackerish.

I could go on, but outside of the AAA Elites you listed, I can't think of a guy who works as hard or harder than Tim Tebow.

oubronco
01-19-2012, 01:59 PM
The Broncos also need receivers that are able to catch the ball consistently before Tebow starts trusting them to make the play in tight windows.

Would you trust your receivers to run the correct route/ make the correct read and make a play on the ball if your receiving corp lead the league in dropped passes?

I think the play of the receivers will improve significantly after an offseason of reps with Tebow. The whole offense should grow together, the Broncos had the second youngest offense in the league.

Link please

jhns
01-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Link please

Don't worry, it has always been obvious that you don't watch the games.

Butterscotch Stallion
01-19-2012, 03:58 PM

You are so retarded. those guys are the best. do you ever fathom what you are talking about?

too stupid for message boards.

Butterscotch Stallion
01-19-2012, 03:58 PM
yeah but this is sort of like saying my 6 year old hasn't fallen off her bike but not noting she's got training wheels. (-P

Only if doctors said she woukd never ride a bike.

Play2win
01-19-2012, 04:10 PM

You have to wonder how much of a nerd Tebow is though. Meaning, how much of his "work ethic" carries into the classroom, filmroom, studying the game, and grinding it out mentally that is so necessary at this level of the game.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 04:14 PM
You have to wonder how much of a nerd Tebow is though. Meaning, how much of his "work ethic" carries into the classroom, filmroom, studying the game, and grinding it out mentally that is so necessary at this level of the game.

Are you asking if it was ball; if it was juice?