PDA

View Full Version : weird feeling this AM

mwill07
01-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Normally after big losses, I am grumpy for a whole week. I settle into a bit of a depression I suppose...bad losses tend to effect me in ways I'm not proud to admit. However, I don't feel that way today. it's weird. It took me a few hours to diagnose why I'm not pissed, and it's something I haven't felt since 2005 - optimism.

The last time I felt that this team was on the right track headed into an an off-season was when we lost in the AFCCG w/ Plummer. The D was still solid, and we had a good core of players in Lelie and Tatum Bell (lol).

2006: I would have feld good about the off-season after cutlers rookie year and seeing some glimpses from Marshall, but then Darrent Williams was shot and that ended any optimism pretty quickly. 1/1/07 was the darkest day of this franchises history.

2007: we finished 7-9, defense was really starting it's slide. cutler looked good, but he was throwing too many picks and I really didn't have much hope for the running game.

2008: defense was absolutely terrible - so bad that Shanahan had to finally be held accountable. Reset button ad to be pushed.

2009: ended on a 2-6 slide.

2010: we don't need to talk about last year.

So here we are in 2011: I see an improving defense. We aren't good enough yet, but I've seen flashes of greatness here. I've seen a D come up with critical stops more than once this season; something that hasn't happened in quite some time. On O, we have a young QB going through some growing pains. We have a young line that doesn't feel quite complete yet. We have some young WR's, that need reps with the QB. We have young TE's that need to develop. We also look to have some stability at OC and DC for the first time in years.

Folks, the cubbords are not bare. Thing s are looking up. All yesterday did was highlight how much work needs to be done to get to where we need to be...EFX cannot rest on their heels, Tebow must improve; that much is clear. However, I think that we have a nice foundation that we can build on, and that's not something that I think we've had for a really long time.

TheReverend
01-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Cupboards aren't bare, but they're in dire need of serious stocking.

Let's hope we open the coffers for some interior remodeling :)

Bronx33
01-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Yes next season sits squarely on pats wallet.

g00fyfoot
01-15-2012, 11:28 AM
broncs just finished the season 1-4. mentioned.

mwill07
01-15-2012, 11:29 AM

yeah, I think we have to. The success this season should really raise the level of expectations for 2012. At this point, I'm expecting us to seriously compete for the division crown... without seeing free-agency and the draft, I'm going to expect an 11 win season next year.

I can understand not hitting free-agency early in "re-build" mode, but when you are in "get over the hump" mode, it's time to open it up.

mwill07
01-15-2012, 11:34 AM
broncs just finished the season 1-4. mentioned.

2010: 1-6
2009: 0-4
2008: 2-4
2007: 2-4
2006: 2-5

ColoradoDarin
01-15-2012, 11:43 AM

Pat got extra $$$ for the 2 playoff games, right? Hopefully that goes into a few F/As

Mile High Mojoe
01-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Normally after big losses, I am grumpy for a whole week. I settle into a bit of a depression I suppose...bad losses tend to effect me in ways I'm not proud to admit. However, I don't feel that way today. it's weird. It took me a few hours to diagnose why I'm not pissed, and it's something I haven't felt since 2005 - optimism.

The last time I felt that this team was on the right track headed into an an off-season was when we lost in the AFCCG w/ Plummer. The D was still solid, and we had a good core of players in Lelie and Tatum Bell (lol).

2006: I would have feld good about the off-season after cutlers rookie year and seeing some glimpses from Marshall, but then Darrent Williams was shot and that ended any optimism pretty quickly. 1/1/07 was the darkest day of this franchises history.

2007: we finished 7-9, defense was really starting it's slide. cutler looked good, but he was throwing too many picks and I really didn't have much hope for the running game.

2008: defense was absolutely terrible - so bad that Shanahan had to finally be held accountable. Reset button ad to be pushed.

So here we are in 2011: I see an improving defense. We aren't good enough yet, but I've seen flashes of greatness here. I've seen a D come up with critical stops more than once this season; something that hasn't happened in quite some time. On O, we have a young QB going through some growing pains. We have a young line that doesn't feel quite complete yet. We have some young WR's, that need reps with the QB. We have young TE's that need to develop. We also look to have some stability at OC and DC for the first time in years.

Folks, the cubbords are not bare. Thing s are looking up. All yesterday did was highlight how much work needs to be done to get to where we need to be...EFX cannot rest on their heels, Tebow must improve; that much is clear. However, I think that we have a nice foundation that we can build on, and that's not something that I think we've had for a really long time.

Co-sign

The lost to the Steelers in the AFC Championship in 2006 was way worse. That one soured in my gut big time until Plummer finally lost his job a year later. This season as has been said was played with house money. No one could have predicted this 2nd half surge and for the all the criticism this offense did take down the best D in the AFC last week.

We have to get some help on D; we need more depth and talent at every position. It's been the worst part of the team since the last Super Bowl win. The biggest talent gap on D is our DB’s they played horrible yesterday. But shoot the LB's couldn't tackle and DL couldn't get any up the field push on Brady either.

There’s work to do on both sides of the ball but I feel a real optimism too.

DENVERDUI55
01-15-2012, 11:55 AM
2010: 1-6
2009: 0-4
2008: 2-4
2007: 2-4
2006: 2-5

Late seasons slides are because of one thing only. Lack of talent and playmakers. You can win in first third of season by schemes. Then teams adjust and you get a change in scheming for another third and by the time the last third comes around it's all about talent because the film and tendancies of a team are exposed.

We need a QB, CB's, MLB, RB and an OL or two next offseason.

sisterhellfyre
01-15-2012, 12:07 PM
At this point, I'm expecting us to seriously compete for the division crown... without seeing free-agency and the draft, I'm going to expect an 11 win season next year.

My hopes for next year are not that high (11 wins). Along with winning the division this year comes the division winner's schedule for next year.

I think it's real possible we'll see the same record next year, or maybe even a bit lower (7-9, even 6-10 again) while still making progress in players, execution and strategy. It's going to take time for all that to come together.

But I'm still looking forward to next year and seeing what happens.

Kaylore
01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm disappointed. I wish the game was closer, obviously. Had some gripes about the playcalling. But......

So happy to win the division and win a home playoff game. We were never supposed to do that this year and it was so much fun. That steelers game will be rewatched until my dVR hard drive burns out.

Sad about last night.

Thrilled about last season.

mwill07
01-15-2012, 12:48 PM
My hopes for next year are not that high (11 wins). Along with winning the division this year comes the division winner's schedule for next year.

I think it's real possible we'll see the same record next year, or maybe even a bit lower (7-9, even 6-10 again) while still making progress in players, execution and strategy. It's going to take time for all that to come together.

But I'm still looking forward to next year and seeing what happens.

yeah, you are right...11 is too high of an expectation. last year i said 8 +/-2. lets set expectations for 9 +/- 2. But your right - as long as we see progress, I won't be disappointed with fewer wins.

broncocalijohn
01-15-2012, 01:03 PM
As I get older, I am much more calm after big losses. Family with kids and other worries of life get me grounded during these times. Before and during the game, it is football but I can separate the two in most instances.

broncocalijohn
01-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Late seasons slides are because of one thing only. Lack of talent and playmakers. You can win in first third of season by schemes. Then teams adjust and you get a change in scheming for another third and by the time the last third comes around it's all about talent because the film and tendancies of a team are exposed.

Funny your second part of this post describes coaching yet you didnt mention our coaching as part of the problem. It went with Shanny, McDaniels and even Fox. Only differences is that Fox improved the team and got in the playoffs (and one win).

R8R H8R
01-15-2012, 01:08 PM
I am with you mWill07. The future is bright for this team. There is a good core of young players on this team that just need developing.

EFX has said on more than one occasion that they are ahead of schedule on their so-called 3yr plan, and I believe them. Last night was not a choke or an indictment on Tebow, the coaches, etc., as it was simply a mis-match in talent and experience.

We will get better in both over the next couple of offseasons, no doubt in my mind.

Chidoze
01-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm disappointed. I wish the game was closer, obviously. Had some gripes about the playcalling. But......

So happy to win the division and win a home playoff game. We were never supposed to do that this year and it was so much fun. That steelers game will be rewatched until my dVR hard drive burns out.

Sad about last night.

Thrilled about last season.
I agree. The Steeler game was great, the Patriot game was just demoralizing & crushing.

Karenin
01-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Pat got extra $$$ for the 2 playoff games, right? Hopefully that goes into a few F/As

haha, good one. you realize we have one of the lowest payrolls in the league right? that's not likely to change.

broncobum6162
01-15-2012, 04:46 PM
I agree except I don't believe we are set at OC and DC.

The last time I felt that this team was on the right track headed into an an off-season was ywhen we lost in the AFCCG w/ Plummer. The D was still solid, and we had a good core of players in Lelie and Tatum Bell (lol).

maher_tyler
01-15-2012, 04:52 PM
I am with you mWill07. The future is bright for this team. There is a good core of young players on this team that just need developing.

EFX has said on more than one occasion that they are ahead of schedule on their so-called 3yr plan, and I believe them. Last night was not a choke or an indictment on Tebow, the coaches, etc., as it was simply a mis-match in talent and experience.

We will get better in both over the next couple of offseasons, no doubt in my mind.

I disagree on the coaching part. There is no excuse for running 95% of the time on 1st down..i don't care where we rank in the league at rush offense. They need to get much less predictable and change up the play calling. I thought they did a little bit against Pittsburgh and it worked out pretty well. Then they went back to their old ways against NE and we got killed!!

go_broncos
01-15-2012, 04:55 PM

If we have the same coaches, we will not win many games.
Need to get good OC next year.

mwill07
01-15-2012, 05:41 PM
I disagree on the coaching part. There is no excuse for running 95% of the time on 1st down..i don't care where we rank in the league at rush offense. They need to get much less predictable and change up the play calling. I thought they did a little bit against Pittsburgh and it worked out pretty well. Then they went back to their old ways against NE and we got killed!!
Yeah, I hear ya on that. All I can say is that if its tjat obvious to us, its obvious to them too, amd so there is probably a damn good reason for it. I would like to hear the justification for the lopsided run/pass ratio, especially towards the end of the season.

Popps
01-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Yea, I said this in my other thread... but we took some momentum into the off-season for the first time since 2005.

We didn't finish the regular season strong, but we bounced back... won a playoff game and showed that we have some core players to build around.