PDA

View Full Version : Did NE expose the option?

Lolad
01-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Twice now it seems like NE has figured out how to stop the option, big defensive lineman and outside LB's that are discipline and can react.

Selling out to stop the run when you have no threat of passing the ball on 1st and 2nd down might be the problem too.

Will the option be back next year, with more plays added?

peacepipe
01-15-2012, 06:06 AM
it's been exposed for a little while now. watch the 1st game against NE. hell watch the game against the chiefs.

go_broncos
01-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Twice now it seems like NE has figured out how to stop the option, big defensive lineman and outside LB's that are discipline and can react.

Selling out to stop the run when you have no threat of passing the ball on 1st and 2nd down might be the problem too.

It was exposed long time back..Remember, we scored only 3 points against Chiefs that have lot of injuries.

I would be shocked if we reach playoffs with the way we play( too conservative)

Spider
01-15-2012, 06:14 AM
and when we had a more aggressive offense , we got exposed by the colts ...........

go_broncos
01-15-2012, 06:16 AM
Coaches game planning is great against average teams..We suck against quality QBs.

HughC
01-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Lurking over at some of their fan sites this past week I noticed these. They're pretty technical so it's not the easiest thing in the world to follow, but the bottom line is that if some armchair quarterback can figure out a way to stop the Broncos offense then most NFL defensive coordinators are going to be able to do the same.

A Look at Denver's Bread and Butter Option - The Midline Read (http://atp.patsfans.com/2012/01/14/a-look-at-denvers-bread-and-butter-option-the-midline-read/)

Gap Integrity: the very simple tale of the Pats defense versus Denver (http://atp.patsfans.com/2012/01/11/gap-integrity-the-very-simple-tale-of-the-pats-defense-versus-denver/)

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Getting behind by a wide margin exposes it.

Dukes
01-15-2012, 06:25 AM
Lurking over at some of their fan sites this past week I noticed these. They're pretty technical so it's not the easiest thing in the world to follow, but the bottom line is that if some armchair quarterback can figure out a way to stop the Broncos offense then most NFL defensive coordinators are going to be able to do the same.

A Look at Denver's Bread and Butter Option - The Midline Read (http://atp.patsfans.com/2012/01/14/a-look-at-denvers-bread-and-butter-option-the-midline-read/)

Gap Integrity: the very simple tale of the Pats defense versus Denver (http://atp.patsfans.com/2012/01/11/gap-integrity-the-very-simple-tale-of-the-pats-defense-versus-denver/)

Nice first post lurker.

Bigdawg26
01-15-2012, 06:30 AM
it's been exposed for a little while now. watch the 1st game against NE. hell watch the game against the chiefs.

This

barryr
01-15-2012, 06:30 AM
The option should not be designed to be your offenses' best play or the play you use most often. It should just be a wrinkle that teams have to prepare for and don't know what it is coming.

Unfortunately, this coaching staff on both sides of the ball spent too much time being predictable this year. It worked against the bad teams, but the good teams will eat that up all game long and that was pretty much the result.

Whoever plays whatever positions, the key for this team heading forward is being less predictable and conservative on both sides of the ball and only time will tell if that happens or not.

go_broncos
01-15-2012, 06:47 AM
you are doomed to fail when option is the first "Option".It's like Wild cat..

peacepipe
01-15-2012, 06:59 AM
The option should not be designed to be your offenses' best play or the play you use most often. It should just be a wrinkle that teams have to prepare for and don't know what it is coming.

Unfortunately, this coaching staff on both sides of the ball spent too much time being predictable this year. It worked against the bad teams, but the good teams will eat that up all game long and that was pretty much the result.

Whoever plays whatever positions, the key for this team heading forward is being less predictable and conservative on both sides of the ball and only time will tell if that happens or not.

catch 22,in the beginning when tebow first started the coaching staff were idiots for running a conventional offense with tebow. so they change the system for tebow,cause he can't run a pro-style offense. now they're idiots because the offense has become predictable running the option. when the QB is limited in what he can do throwing the ball,your offense becomes predictable.

Jekyll15Hyde
01-15-2012, 07:02 AM

I wonder if we can get MHM to take some notes here...:wave:

Spider
01-15-2012, 07:06 AM
catch 22,in the beginning when tebow first started the coaching staff were idiots for running a conventional offense with tebow. so they change the system for tebow,cause he can't run a pro-style offense. now they're idiots because the offense has become predictable running the option. when the QB is limited in what he can do throwing the ball,your offense becomes predictable.

no kidding , but everyone fell for that Tebow has unique set of skills so build an offense to fit him crap ...... I think this offseason we need to make Tebow better suited to run a more pro style offense ..... Note didnt say anything about making him a drop back passer , but he needs to be more comfortable in the pocket ....

Vegas_Bronco
01-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Options are easy to stop...tebow was slow on his reads, held the ball too long, and made poor choices...it was like he was 1-2 seconds too slow all night long. His passes were late which didn't help and he looked like he had no help from those lame excuse of an offensive line.

Under these conditions you abandon the option altogether. Major fail not teaching this team how to run a screen or using out TEnds in the passing game. Even a wheel pass play works when you have a rb that can catch.

Jekyll15Hyde
01-15-2012, 07:10 AM
no kidding , but everyone fell for that Tebow has unique set of skills so build an offense to fit him crap ...... I think this offseason we need to make Tebow better suited to run a more pro style offense ..... Note didnt say anything about making him a drop back passer , but he needs to be more comfortable in the pocket ....

I dont think this can be successful. If they are all in and want the best chance of success, you have to continue this unique offense and it really needs to open up more to move closer to what he did at Florida. That is probably good for an 8-8 to 10-6 type team. But going more pro-style, IMO, is going to ensure a 5-11 type of year on a fairly consistent basis.

barryr
01-15-2012, 07:13 AM
I dont think this can be successful. If they are all in and want the best chance of success, you have to continue this unique offense and it really needs to open up more to move closer to what he did at Florida. That is probably good for an 8-8 to 10-6 type team. But going more pro-style, IMO, is going to ensure a 5-11 type of year on a fairly consistent basis.

What need to happen is for receivers to be able to run shorter routes and can beat man coverage consistently otherwise you just have the old Raider offense of run the ball and throw deep, which if the Broncos want to use that, then get receivers with great speed then.

peacepipe
01-15-2012, 07:16 AM
I dont think this can be successful. If they are all in and want the best chance of success, you have to continue this unique offense and it really needs to open up more to move closer to what he did at Florida. That is probably good for an 8-8 to 10-6 type team. But going more pro-style, IMO, is going to ensure a 5-11 type of year on a fairly consistent basis.what this tells me is that we need a better QB.

Spider
01-15-2012, 07:17 AM

but the style of offense we have now just wont cut it , Tebow has to adapt , he is no longer in College , I believe Tebow can adapt , he is very coachable , Right now tebow biggest problem is making reads as it is with any young QB .....But you have to at least give him the opportunity to become a legit NFL QB

cutthemdown
01-15-2012, 07:18 AM
We have to dump the option as a the main offense. Tebow has to get better at running a regular offense, and have the option be a look the defense never knows when they will get.

Kid A
01-15-2012, 07:20 AM
The outside option plays haven't looked good all season, really. And Tebow has never honestly looked that good on any of the traditional option-pitch plays.

I think the read-option look where it's either him keeping or immediately handing to McGahee from the gun still has some staying power. We let the DT blow that up a lot, but in better circumstances I still like it as a part of the run game.

barryr
01-15-2012, 07:23 AM
The outside option plays haven't looked good all season, really. And Tebow has never honestly looked that good on any of the traditional option-pitch plays.

I think the read-option look where it's either him keeping or immediately handing to McGahee from the gun still has some staying power. We let the DT blow that up a lot, but in better circumstances I still like it as a part of the run game.

Agreed, there are more variations they could use with the zone read, like with some receiver reverses thrown in there from time to time. The option thing for me is not something they should do much since as you say, they never looked good doing it anyway.

Jekyll15Hyde
01-15-2012, 07:24 AM
but the style of offense we have now just wont cut it , Tebow has to adapt , he is no longer in College , I believe Tebow can adapt , he is very coachable , Right now tebow biggest problem is making reads as it is with any young QB .....But you have to at least give him the opportunity to become a legit NFL QB

I am saying it needs to continue in its basis but needs to open more to give full spread option looks like there was at Florida. That means more depth at WR.

While Tim is certainly coachable, the one thing that will slow him down is that at every level of football he has been coached to rely on his legs is he doesnt like what he sees. That is where his instincts are and when you basically tell someone to ignore the instincts, you arent going to get consistent play.

Vegas_Bronco
01-15-2012, 07:26 AM
We couldn't even get a wr to block last night...they just did some tit grabbing and stood around watching Tim and the bull run into their guy. This was the worst team effort I have seen in a playoff game...veterans need to hold the newbs accountable and we def were missing our leader Bdawk. Champ is amazing but def not vocal or in their grill enuff. He was pissed last night but you can't motivate stupidity and our backups obviously have not been coached in a looong time.

barryr
01-15-2012, 07:28 AM
I am saying it needs to continue in its basis but needs to open more to give full spread option looks like there was at Florida. That means more depth at WR.

While Tim is certainly coachable, the one thing that will slow him down is that at every level of football he has been coached to rely on his legs is he doesnt like what he sees. That is where his instincts are and when you basically tell someone to ignore the instincts, you arent going to get consistent play.

Exactly, if they want Tebow to just be a stationary QB, then I don't see success here. More variations of zone read would be nice, as well as receivers running more slants and screens with the occasional deep ball. Basically, less predictability.

Spider
01-15-2012, 07:29 AM
I am saying it needs to continue in its basis but needs to open more to give full spread option looks like there was at Florida. That means more depth at WR. there is a reason why the option doesnt work in the NFL , mainly the speed of the defense ....

not saying take that away from him , but teach him to look down field until he crosses the LOS ........ there are things you can do to accommodate Tebows instincts ,and still keep him in a pro style offense , and lets be honest here , the coaching staff didnt have much time to work with tebow so they changed the O to better suit him , this year they will have time , and tebow will be better off switching

peacepipe
01-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Exactly, if they want Tebow to just be a stationary QB, then I don't see success here. More variations of zone read would be nice, as well as receivers running more slants and screens with the occasional deep ball. Basically, less predictability.

He doesn't need to be a stationary QB,& I don't think that is what elway wants. but he needs to be able to throw from the pocket on a consistent basis. look at aaron rodgers, he's not a stationary QB,but is consistent with throwing the ball.

Lolad
01-15-2012, 08:31 AM
McCoy just started to figure out that he could move the pocket. I wish we can get the offense Plummer was running, simple reads, lots of variations of PA bootlegs, and WR's crosses and slants and the occasional bomb

Dedhed
01-15-2012, 08:36 AM
The Patriots exposed Mays, Goodman, and DJ far more than they exposed the option.

I don't understand why we ran so much option yesterday when we've been having so much success running the ball in a fairly conventional style. Is was absurd to me.

strafen
01-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Tebow's still two good solid years away from being a good pocket passer QB
Let's face it, our scoring was low this year.
The Pats were bringing the house on defense. They knew that Tebow was not going to beat them passing the ball.
I've been a Tebow supporter and I know a lot of you have been also, but you've got to realize, right now he's slowing down our offense

His tendency to move out of the pocket is too strong. That's the first thing he's got to overcome.
Now, some may argue that we should play him to his strength; well that didn't quite work that great either, while it worked at times, it was easily shut down...

In order to help Tebow become a pocket passer, we need to solidify the OL to afford him the time to go thru his reads. That also means we need to implement a more conventional NFL offense.
It's going to be a challenge. If we're going with Tebow next year, we've got to have a plan B already in place.
After seeing all I wanted to see, I'm convinced he's got ways to go to the point I'm concerned about it.
Let's see what this off-season does for him...

Circle Orange
01-15-2012, 09:30 AM
To be blunt, the Broncos got blown out repeatedly this year by teams with a good starting qb and offense. That was the pattern during the whole win/loss streak. Scratch out close wins against marginal teams with rookie qbs, or an arrogant Steelers team caught up in their "manliness history against the run" and riddled with injuries, or get waxed utterly. The Bears gift wrapped one. All an opposing team has to do is score early and often, making the option offense all but useless and exposing Tim's limitations. Now everyone is overrating NE based on a blowout game where everything went their way.

The AFC is full of incomplete teams. That the Pats should be in the title game proves the conference is a joke right now.

TheDave
01-15-2012, 09:46 AM
The read option part of our offense works great... but it needs to be paired with a consistent passing game to remain effective.

Right now the kid has one pitch, hopefully he develops a couple more before camp.

lod01
01-15-2012, 09:56 AM

It will go the way of the wildcat and if tebow doens't work on his passing skills and ability to read a D, he will go with it.

Dedhed
01-15-2012, 09:59 AM
What I don't get is why people are still calling this an option offense and pretending like we built our success this year on the option.

strafen
01-15-2012, 10:02 AM
It will go the way of the wildcat and if tebow doens't work on his passing skills and ability to read a D, he will go with it.Come on, man.
I'm old fashion when it comes to football perhaps, and a times I will be for some innovative game plan to an extent, but wildcat, or option crap, that's not in my book.
If it worked consistently, everybody will be using it in the same fashion, the fact it hasn't, let alone anyone winning with it, just tells me no thanks...

NFLBRONCO
01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Maybe the problem really is Tebow stinks at running the option. If you let that slide its tough to run it with no speed on offense.

DENVERDUI55
01-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Well there is a reason the option isn't in the NFL. It is a gimmick that doesn't work when the talent spread from worst team to best is narrow.

Bronx33
01-15-2012, 10:32 AM
I got so ****ing tired of seeing it ran last night it got to the point where it was a joke every time they ran it they could have used it as desquise but sadly they were to freaking stupid ..

oubronco
01-15-2012, 10:37 AM
They better bring in this guy to teach Tebow how to run it

http://www.6magazineonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/barry-switzer.jpg

errand
01-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Coaches game planning is great against average teams..We suck against quality QBs.

And we got many on here that wanna fire the coach...

Well when you fire the coach, the new guy wants to do things his way....and for you Tebowites, that could mean the end of an era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWyLHU4ZaN0

errand
01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
It will go the way of the wildcat and if tebow doens't work on his passing skills and ability to read a D, he will go with it.

If Tebow doesn't work on his areas of weakness, then Fox will go with a different QB....

DenverBrit
01-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Yep. It was exposed in college in the 80's when Miami repeatedly shut down Oklahoma's wishbone.

DenverBrit
01-15-2012, 11:24 AM
They better bring in this guy to teach Tebow how to run it

http://www.6magazineonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/barry-switzer.jpg

Then counter with this guy. ;D

http://www.globalsportsfraternity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/johnson.jpg

DenverBrit
01-15-2012, 11:26 AM
He doesn't need to be a stationary QB,& I don't think that is what elway wants. but he needs to be able to throw from the pocket on a consistent basis. look at aaron rodgers, he's not a stationary QB,but is consistent with throwing the ball.

Exactly. We need a QB who is mobile but wins with his arm.

oubronco
01-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Then counter with this guy. ;D

http://www.globalsportsfraternity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/johnson.jpg

Why he didn't run the option

SoCalBronco
01-15-2012, 11:40 AM
It's not so much figuring out anything. It's that they got tremendous penetration and that will kill any running offense. The other thing is bad reads. There were several times where the read defender either crashed OR played way too wide and Tebow handed it off, or didn't take the seam that was available inside that defender. The other thing is that when the defense will commit the resources on the perimeter to stop the option, it will open up the passing game for you. As I've said before, if you are giong to stop this kind of an attack, you really can only play Cov 0, Cov 1 or Cov 3 since that extra defender is in the box (there is a way to play Cov 2 from an eight man front but its not often done in the pros). NE played some Cov 3 in this game and it just moved too fast for Tebow in the secondary and he just hesitated way too much (again). The biggest thing he needs to work on is clarifying his read quickly post-snap and getting it out. It's still moving too fast for him for the most part. There are games where he's been able to recognize things quickly (MIN, PIT), but that usually isnt the case. This is the No. 1 area for improvement.

DenverBrit
01-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Why he didn't run the option

No, he stopped it dead in its tracks.

OU had 3 loses during a 3 years span....all to JJ and Miami.

JJ knew exactly how to stop the option play and in Miami, he had the talent.

mwill07
01-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Love the read option and think there is a place for it in the NFL. Hate the pitch option; that clearly is not NFL material.

oubronco
01-15-2012, 11:55 AM
No, he stopped it dead in its tracks.

OU had 3 loses during a 3 years span....all to JJ and Miami.

JJ knew exactly how to stop the option play and in Miami, he had the talent.

What does that have to do with showing Tebow how to run the option

Jay3
01-15-2012, 11:58 AM
The whole point is that you're supposed to force teams to adjust, and then have something else you like to do when they do their thing to "stop the option." Calling it bread and butter like it can't be stopped is the height of hilarity.

All season long, McCoy didn't dial up enough "if they do this, we hit them with that." It was more like "This is a slow ballet where we gradually entangle them in our noose of death."

You gotta pop them as soon as they cheat a player anywhere. All game long. Back and forth.

DenverBrit
01-15-2012, 12:01 PM
What does that have to do with showing Tebow how to run the option

You post a pic of Switzer to show how to run the option.

I countered with a pic of JJ to show how to STOP the option.

The point is, the option is not played in the NFL for a good reason.

Good defenses will shut it down quickly. They don't have to be great defenses, just disciplined.

oubronco
01-15-2012, 12:03 PM
You post a pic of Switzer to show how to run the option.

I countered with a pic of JJ to show how to STOP the option.

The point is, the option is not played in the NFL for a good reason.

Good defenses will shut it down quickly. They don't have to be great defenses, just disciplined.

Well then get rid of Tebow then

DenverBrit
01-15-2012, 02:46 PM

Nah, just get him the reps during the OTA's and TC and see if he can be as big a threat throwing as running.

Trying to run the option has made the offense too one dimensional........that should be the job of the opposing defense, not Denver's offensive scheme. ;)

go_broncos
01-15-2012, 02:51 PM

Next season..if we continue the same play calling and similar type of play from Tebow..it will be their last season.

I hope it is not the case..players including coaches improve.

errand
01-15-2012, 03:03 PM

If he doesn't develop, they will....he's earned the chance to be our starter next season....but for ****z and giggles, what if improve his supporting cast, and he still struggles.....what will the Tebowites say then?

BroncoBen
01-15-2012, 03:08 PM

I agree the option was exposed weeks ago, it seemed to me the Pats took the Steelers/Broncos tape, studied it, made a few tweaks and just executed it.

go_broncos
01-15-2012, 03:14 PM
If he doesn't develop, they will....he's earned the chance to be our starter next season....but for ****z and giggles, what if improve his supporting cast, and he still struggles.....what will the Tebowites say then?

Well..then he needs to be cut..I hope this is not the case .

winstoncup bronco
01-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Well, it's funny to see how some are itching to cut ties with Tebow so soon.

The kid came into the league with it being universally known he needed alot of work to become an NFL QB. So after not getting the benefit of an offseason, very limited reps in camp, not being named starter until the previous QB put up a stellar 1-4 record, I'd say he did pretty damn good all things considered.

I think part of the problem is those that never intended to give him a fair shake, focused only on the bad of his game, and just wrote off the good as being a fluke every single time he did something. That Minnesota game was great, especially when he rolled out and stiff-armed the LB to hit DT for the touchdown. It takes unique talent to do that, unique talent that you don't demand to be razor sharp 16 starts into your NFL career or else!

Let's not forget, for whatever excuses people want to give, Tebow made some great throws against the #1 pass defense last week. I don't want to hear about injuries or whatever, if Tebow is the louse some make him out to be, it shouldn't have mattered anyway.

I'm anxious to see how much he grows this offseason, and even with that, there will be two sets of expectations: the realistic expectations, and the absurd expectations his critics will demand. I truly hope that doesn't mean Super Bowl and league MVP or bust for those people.

Agamemnon
01-15-2012, 05:13 PM
The only thing that got exposed was our o-line. Option or no option, running exclusively on 1st down and having a sieve for an o-line will never work.

Dedhed
01-15-2012, 09:19 PM

What's laughable is that you're still pandering to the idea that Tebow struggled despite leading this team to a playoff victory in his first year as starter after he was handicapped with a 1-4 start.

ZONA
01-15-2012, 09:45 PM
I think we will stick with some option plays next year. Tebow's the right guy for it but they do have to be tweaked. The need to be much quicker. NFL defenders are faster and read and react faster then college players so the NFL option plays need to hit fast.

Another thing I think will help is when Tebow can audible. If there is an option play called and he doesn't like the defense for it, need to get out of that play.

And lastly, the option will work better once you don't have 8 man fronts. We need to develop quick hitting outs and slants to keep those LB's honest.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-15-2012, 09:54 PM
I didnt really bother to read any of the posts, but the zone read option remains a very viable play and at no points did the Pats stop it.

Those outside spread read options are dumb and i cant recall when they worked against anyone.

Agamemnon
01-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Those outside spread read options are dumb and i cant recall when they worked against anyone.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. We don't ever run spread formations, so spread option isn't really something we've ever done. And the read option is probably one of the main reasons McGahee has had so much success against heavy fronts, as it freezes DE's. Are you talking about the option pitches? Because yeah those are crap--and kind of dangerous in terms of ball security.

DBroncos4life
01-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Bring in turner gill.

TonyR
01-16-2012, 08:02 AM
What's laughable is that you're still pandering to the idea that Tebow struggled despite leading this team to a playoff victory in his first year as starter after he was handicapped with a 1-4 start.

LOL And yet you're doing exactly the same thing with regards to the coaching staff.

cutthemdown
01-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Only thing NE did was confirm that we need more talent, for any system we would run.

If your oline blew people off the los then you could run the ball in any system and be consistent. Broncos did well, the ran for a lot of yrds, but when it got to 3rd and short they were not consistently picking those up. We need to get better upfront still, need a FB IMO.

Toshiro Takashi
01-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Bring in turner gill.

Tommy Frazier & Scott Frost too.

ThirtyDegrees
01-16-2012, 01:27 PM
The traditional option that they ran on Saturday night needs to be thrown out completely.

Tebow should never be running horizontally to the line of scrimmage. There was one play where McCoy went full retard and called a triple option and Tebow was just completely manhandled by a DT the minute he faked the handoff to McGahee.

The read option should be the team's main running play, but this offense would be much better if Tebow actually had receivers running short routes to pass to and also had a higher percentage of QB draws called where he had ten guys blocking for him.

These pistol sets and everything else are just absolute garbage, Tebow needs the offense to rely upon straight up spread formations with at least three WRs at a time.

Peoples Champ
01-16-2012, 01:56 PM

I hope they eliminate the option with the pitchman thing, the traditional option.

I hope they keep the spread run/option with Mcgehee and Tebow, because a lot of our big runs and passes were on that play (DT play in OT against the steelers). I think if they expand on that it will be more unpredictable and hopefully more unstoppable.

Peoples Champ
01-16-2012, 01:57 PM
The traditional option that they ran on Saturday night needs to be thrown out completely.

Tebow should never be running horizontally to the line of scrimmage. There was one play where McCoy went full retard and called a triple option and Tebow was just completely manhandled by a DT the minute he faked the handoff to McGahee.

The read option should be the team's main running play, but this offense would be much better if Tebow actually had receivers running short routes to pass to and also had a higher percentage of QB draws called where he had ten guys blocking for him.

These pistol sets and everything else are just absolute garbage, Tebow needs the offense to rely upon straight up spread formations with at least three WRs at a time.

lol,

This was exactly what I was trying to say, just you beat me to it.

Circle Orange
01-16-2012, 05:14 PM
On ESPN's around the NFL radio show they were explaining why option qbs in spread offenses struggle with mechanics. It was said that footwork and balance dosen't matter as much because the field is spread and there are open/one on one matchups with few adjustments made. the speed of the defenders isn't as great either. So a qb can be "sloppy" with fundamentals and get away with it in college, often being quite successful.

Where's Mouse Davis when you need him? Run n' Shoot, sweeties, Run 'n Shoot...;)

DBroncos4life
01-16-2012, 08:12 PM
On ESPN's around the NFL radio show they were explaining why option qbs in spread offenses struggle with mechanics. It was said that footwork and balance dosen't matter as much because the field is spread and there are open/one on one matchups with few adjustments made. the speed of the defenders isn't as great either. So a qb can be "sloppy" with fundamentals and get away with it in college, often being quite successful.

Where's Mouse Davis when you need him? Run n' Shoot, sweeties, Run 'n Shoot...;)

I've been calling for the Run and Shoot for awhile now. It's major flaw is inside the 20 that is when we can use our power run style O.

Agamemnon
01-17-2012, 12:49 AM

And we run two receiver sets with Tebow. ::)

BroncoBeavis
01-17-2012, 05:35 AM
And we run two receiver sets with Tebow. ::)

Hey. Do not question what clearly worked. Evil genius really. Lull the other team to sleep by running 2wr stone age sets. Fall behind 15 or 13 or 10 points. Then with 6 minutes left in the game bring out the 3rd wide receiver and flurry to tie the game.

Once overtime arrives, dazzle them with 1st down throwing.

BroncoBeavis
01-17-2012, 05:45 AM

Man this sounds eerily familiar. I once heard tell that Cam Newton was a spread option QB. I wonder what kind of formations he's throwing out of.

daeden
01-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Can someone please explain why you would ever run from a traditional running scheme and not the option?

It seems a traditional running play concedes the QB to be useless piece. Why not force the defense to account for an extra player?

n + 1 > n

Running the ball is simple math. If you can account for an extra defender by allowing your QB to be a part of the play, why wouldn't you?

ThirtyDegrees
01-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Can someone please explain why you would ever run from a traditional running scheme and not the option?

It seems a traditional running play concedes the QB to be useless piece. Why not force the defense to account for an extra player?

n + 1 > n

Running the ball is simple math. If you can account for an extra defender by allowing your QB to be a part of the play, why wouldn't you?

Are you talking about with Tebow or in general?

With Tebow, I agree that not running the read option is detrimental to your team. However, I simply have not seen Tebow run a pitch option effectively in the NFL. Most of this has to do with the defenses, but I simply do not think that Tebow makes the right decisions with the ball on pitch options on a regular basis.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Are you talking about with Tebow or in general?

With Tebow, I agree that not running the read option is detrimental to your team. However, I simply have not seen Tebow run a pitch option effectively in the NFL. Most of this has to do with the defenses, but I simply do not think that Tebow makes the right decisions with the ball on pitch options on a regular basis.

The pitch option won't work in the NFL because defenses are much too athletic and disciplined. There's nothing quick about it...it takes forever to develop and runs horizontally. When have horizontal plays ever worked in the nfl.

A zone read option is a very viable play because it's quick hitting and creates a natural numbers mismatch because you need 1-2 defenders to account for the backside QB option. Playside its a typical zone running play. Most teams don't run it because 1) they dont have a QB capable and 2) they don't want to put their million dollar investments in harms way.

ThirtyDegrees
01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
The pitch option won't work in the NFL because defenses are much too athletic and disciplined. There's nothing quick about it...it takes forever to develop and runs horizontally. When have horizontal plays ever worked in the nfl.

A zone read option is a very viable play because it's quick hitting and creates a natural numbers mismatch because you need 1-2 defenders to account for the backside QB option. Playside its a typical zone running play. Most teams don't run it because 1) they dont have a QB capable and 2) they don't want to put their million dollar investments in harms way.

I saw plenty of pitch option plays that the Broncos ran this year where Tebow pitched too early or pitched instead of keeping it himself that would have been substantial gains if he made the right play.

bendog
01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
But, but .... Tebow was going to revolutionize the way the position is played ......

oubronco
01-18-2012, 11:31 AM
But, but .... Tebow was going to revolutionize the way the position is played ......

We're still waiting

bendog
01-18-2012, 11:54 AM
I think exposed is too ... weak a word. It should be more like, holy **** did NE (and KC) rip off the jersey and pads, kick it down to the curb, break a couple of ribs with toe shots, taser it it the ass, give it a couple of baseball bat shots to the head and leave it in the dumpster.

That said, it might be a decent play to show about once every two games. Sort of like Tommy Glavine's old fastball.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-18-2012, 11:55 AM
I think exposed is too ... weak a word. It should be more like, holy **** did NE (and KC) rip off the jersey and pads, kick it down to the curb, break a couple of ribs with toe shots, taser it it the ass, give it a couple of baseball bat shots to the head and leave it in the dumpster.

That said, it might be a decent play to show about once every two games. Sort of like Tommy Glavine's old fastball.

This is incredibly wrong when it comes to our simple zone read look.

The PROBLEM is people don't respect the pass, can key in on the run, therefore shut it down. This would be true of ANY run game as long as you can't pass your way out of it.

bendog
01-18-2012, 12:00 PM
ummm, yeah. Until Tebow can hit crossing routes on time underneath, this offense is ..... dead.