PDA

View Full Version : Offseason predictions

Ratboy
01-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Make them here, folks!

What do you think will happen this offseason? Do you see anyone getting fired? Will EFX draft a QB? Who gets cut?

Let's hear it.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-14-2012, 07:54 PM
No one gets fired because EFX understand that this team overachieved and it's not near as talented as the Interwebz GMs think it is, and the coaching staff did a great job with what they had.

They'll address the defense, especially up the middle at all 3 levels.

The offense will be allowed to grow without many additions with its current youth being used as the reason why.

They'll take a QB in the middle of the draft and sign one in FA.

Goodman and Dawkins won't be back.

Houshyamama
01-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Same QB. Keep the youthful core on offense, except for on the offensive line. Beadles and Walton need to go.

New MLB. New safeties. We need at least two good DL for rotation.

I wouldn't be against taking a RB high in the draft.

Rolandftw
01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
They need to add another weapon at WR. Hopefully another RB, at least for depth.

MLB and CB are the other major concerns for the team.

A veteran QB. If they see QB worth taking in the 4th-7th rounds, I'd be okay picking one there too.

Jetmeck
01-14-2012, 08:05 PM
wr, te and defense. defense and more defense

Ratboy
01-14-2012, 08:05 PM
I want a new offensive coordinator, but I think we're stuck with McCoy for 1 more season. He will have a full offseason with Tebow.

We're going after a top running back in Free Agency.

Cornerback in the first round.

I agree with Goodman and Dawkins. Neither will be in Denver next season.

bpc
01-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Herc is spot on. This team overachieved vs. the talent it has.

We are aging at HB and DB. We lack talent and depth at TE, DT, and LB. We need a speed WR and somebody at HB who can stretch the defense laterally.

We just need to keep adding players. I would love to make some moves in FA. If there is a Darren Sproles type available, i would jump on him. We also need a speed threat WR who can stretch the defense and keep them honest. I don't have a problem with Decker or Thomas, but both are possession guys.

After watching the SF and NE divisional playoff games... look at how big an impact TE's are having on the game. We're so bad at the position, Sharpe could come out of retirement and start over the guys we have.

On defense we need to keep getting better. I think we're good with Doom and Miller. Ayers has rounded out nicely at DT under Fox, Bunkley played well but it's hard to count on him long term. DJ Williams has had a nice season but he's getting older. Woodyard/Mays are solid part time role players but not really starters. We're horribly thin at CB.

Lots of moves to make. I'm eager to see how EF approach the offseason. Hopefully they have some money to play with.

bombay
01-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Weeden or Flynn, or another NFL calibre QB. Demarious Thomas, now that he's healthy, could be as good as the other GT receiver. Need a middle linebacker and a good DB, along with a younger running back to go with the More depth at receiver. A big DT. Damn, we need everything.

BroncosSR
01-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Flynn

Rascal
01-14-2012, 08:12 PM
No one gets fired because EFX understand that this team overachieved and it's not near as talented as the Interwebz GMs think it is, and the coaching staff did a great job with what they had.

The offense will be allowed to grow without many additions with its current youth being used as the reason why.

Add a WR/RB and I would agree with this.

Rascal
01-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Weeden or Flynn, or another NFL calibre QB. Demarious Thomas, now that he's healthy, could be as good as the other GT receiver. Need a middle linebacker and a good DB, along with a younger running back to go with the More depth at receiver. A big DT. Damn, we need everything.

We have a good punter/kicker, no?

Ratboy
01-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I don't see us getting rid of Tebow, but let me add this. If we could get a QB like Matt Flynn (and he plays like what we've seen).

This offense could be elite.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I disagree about TE, no one knows what they have. Tim rarely, if ever, looks at the middle of the field at this point. Until he does that, it's hard to judge the unit as a whole.

Rascal
01-14-2012, 08:18 PM
I disagree about TE, no one knows what they have. Tim rarely, if ever, looks at the middle of the field at this point. Until he does that, it's hard to judge the unit as a whole.

I agree.

dsmoot
01-14-2012, 08:23 PM

If we had a good pass catching TE, we would have been using him. We didn't and we need one.

NFLBRONCO
01-14-2012, 08:29 PM

I agree but, also we have so many holes to fix to address everything. I'd like Denver to strengthen our biggest weaknesses. DT MLB CB RB WR

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't see us getting rid of Tebow, but let me add this. If we could get a QB like Matt Flynn (and he plays like what we've seen).

Have you seen our offensive players? Have you seen Green Bay's?

You're killing me. Hilarious!

snowspot66
01-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Offensive line.

Fifteen negative plays and countless plays for 0 is not the sign of a good offensive line no matter what anybody says about our running game.

Agamemnon

Have you ever actually watched our tight ends? For that matter have you ever looked at their history with other teams? We don't have good receiving tight ends, and therefore we don't feature them. It's pretty simple.

Shananahan
Anybody seriously hoping for Matt Flynn needs to have their goddamn brains examined for tumors.

Denver724
01-14-2012, 08:43 PM

My gut tells me we sign Jason Campbell and he starts Week #1. Not an upper tier, super expensive starter, but a player who will do better than most think.

Ray Finkle
01-14-2012, 08:50 PM
My gut tells me we sign Jason Campbell and he starts Week #1. Not an upper tier, super expensive starter, but a player who will do better than most think.

Jason Campbell is Orton with more mobility...no thanks.

TD30
01-14-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm a Tebow guy....We need a QB

snowspot66
01-14-2012, 08:52 PM

Why the hell would we do that? Next year is all Tebow. He'll sink or swim and that will determine where we go from there.

TDmvp
01-14-2012, 08:52 PM

Your gut is stupid ... Stop posting from the gut.

Ratboy
01-14-2012, 08:53 PM

Probably smarter than his brain.

broncogary
01-14-2012, 08:55 PM

ROFL! That's pretty funny. Hilarious!

oubronco
01-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Anybody seriously hoping for Matt Flynn needs to have their goddamn brains examined for tumors.

9/26 136 yds and a fumble that was fun

Denver724
01-14-2012, 08:57 PM

Elway is going to sign a veteran. I think its Campbell. I know it wont be Flynn or another high priced QB.

Hey TDmvp, what veteran do you think the Broncos will sign? You probably think resigning Quinn is a good idea.

BleedingOrange
01-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Flynn is the next Cassel. He looked good on a loaded GB team for one game. We've seen how well Cassel has done in KC.

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Thank you. Having a great game with that offense does not mean he would succeed with the garbage heap of an offensive roster that we have.

The truth is that very few, if any QB's are going to look very good in our offense right now. Yes they may complete a higher percentage of passes than Tebow, but at the same time they won't be able to run like him or make the same types of clutch plays. We need to fix our lack of offensive talent on the line and with the skill positions, and then if Tebow is still struggling, replace him. Replacing him without any players in place to help the new QB is just stupid.

For Tebow's sake, I almost hope they trade him, as this coaching staff and offensive system are a joke, but as a Bronco fan, losing Tebow would be a catastrophe.

ScottXray

In most cases we have had to keep the TEs in to block. Very few opportunities to use them as receivers. Tonight None because NE was playing five yards behind our line all night. Most plays No one was open until Tebow was running. They doubled DT and Willis and and Royal were not getting open even with Tebow running for his life most times.

We need to fix the O line ( RT , move Franklin inside) , get MLB , safeties and or CB, and get another WR in the DT mold. also nmeed a RB , as we are merely average there and McGahee needs a stud replacement, and speed back also.At QB we have Tebow and Weber, and no one is going to come here as a FA with Tebow here...and he is NOT going anywhere next year.

Look for UDFA QB that can also run and maybe pick one late in the draft.
Build around what we have that is positive.

Mogulseeker
I think the offense will be identical to what we've got.

Dawkins retires... probably Goodman, too, or at least he gets cut.

Denver724
01-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Elway is going to sign a veteran. I think its Campbell. I know it wont be Flynn or another high priced QB.

Hey TDmvp, what veteran do you think the Broncos will sign? You probably think resigning Quinn is a good idea.

Oh, and by the way, here's the list.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/39667/59/nfl-free-agent-master-list

Quarterbacks

Drew Brees *
Matt Flynn *
Kyle Orton
Chad Henne
Alex Smith
Jason Campbell
David Garrard
Vince Young
Josh Johnson
Shaun Hill
Byron Leftwich
Sage Rosenfels
Brady Quinn
Drew Stanton
Donovan McNabb
Chad Pennington
Rex Grossman
Dennis Dixon
Chris Redman
Josh McCown
Charlie Whitehurst
Luke McCown
Charlie Batch
Jake Delhomme
J.P. Losman
Dan Orlovsky
Derek Anderson
A.J. Feeley
Caleb Hanie
David Carr
Kellen Clemens
Kyle Boller
Mark Brunell
Jeff Garcia
Kevin O'Connell

* = likely will be franchise tagged.

snowspot66
01-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Seeing as how Tebow was sacked 5 times (after avoiding at least three more) I'm not sure what Mr. Flynn would have done differently.

Oh and we also have just one receiver that would even make the Packers roster.

MrPeepers
01-14-2012, 09:02 PM
rules are built for offenses, and I want us to go D. I would LOVE to pickup a solid DT, replace goodman with Harris, move goodman to a dime package, and draft some CB help. We seriously need some hands and ferociousness in the backfield. Need a Safety that doesn't lead with crown and commit flagrant fouls. We need WR depth, and need a RB to fill in as McGahee gets worn down. Tim is rough, but he's not the biggest need. I'd love a big TE target that gets check downs consistantly. A Sproles type in the backfield to complement McGahee and Tebow would be awesome.

Ratboy
01-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Not a prediction, but a wet dream list of players I'd love to see in denver.

RB:
Ray Rice
Arian Foster
Matt Forte

WR:
Vincent Jackson
Desean Jackson

CB:
Carlos Rogers

Denver724
01-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Thank you. Having a great game with that offense does not mean he would succeed with the garbage heap of an offensive roster that we have.

The truth is that very few, if any QB's are going to look very good in our offense right now. Yes they may complete a higher percentage of passes than Tebow, but at the same time they won't be able to run like him or make the same types of clutch plays. We need to fix our lack of offensive talent on the line and with the skill positions, and then if Tebow is still struggling, replace him. Replacing him without any players in place to help the new QB is just stupid.

For Tebow's sake, I almost hope they trade him, as this coaching staff and offensive system are a joke, but as a Bronco fan, losing Tebow would be a catastrophe.

Didn't Phil Simms say we had the best OL in the NFL tonight?

Tom Brady
01-14-2012, 09:07 PM
I'll keep it short: Lamichael James.

oubronco
01-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Hopefully it includes Trent Richardson and alot of D-linemen

Agamemnon

Phil Simms a lot of things that are the complete opposite of correct. That would be a prime example.

The fact that he said it right before they put up one of the worst all-around games by an o-line I've ever seen just makes it hilarious really.

Denver724
Not a prediction, but a wet dream list of players I'd love to see in denver.

RB:
Ray Rice
Arian Foster
Matt Forte

WR:
Vincent Jackson
Desean Jackson

CB:
Carlos Rogers

I can't see any decent WR wanting to come to the Broncos unless we overpay by a mile. Their ego will get in the way (because they wont catch near enough balls to be considered elite).

Ratboy
01-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Phil Simms a lot of things that are the complete opposite of correct. That would be a prime example.

The fact that he said it right before they put up one of the worst all-around games by an o-line I've ever seen just makes it hilarious really.

Everyone sees that our offensive line is pretty good and still young. Everything is wrong but your boyfriend Tim Tebow.

snowspot66
01-14-2012, 09:18 PM

And?

We were at less than 100 ypg rushing with Orton. Tebow is the reason we turned that around.

The lack of a passing game is as much on the receivers and linemen as it is on Tebow. Orton only averaged 217 ypg in his 4.5 games with us this year. Tebow averaged 150 in his 11.5 games. Considering all that went on during the season and the significantly smaller number of opportunities to throw (about 23 per game on average for Tebow compared to 34 for Orton) it looks to me like the passing game didn't really regress at all under Tebow. It was poor to begin with. Poor blocking, poor receiving options, poor everything.

Denver724
01-14-2012, 09:23 PM
And?

We were at less than 100 ypg rushing with Orton. Tebow is the reason we turned that around.

The lack of a passing game is as much on the receivers and linemen as it is on Tebow. Orton only averaged 217 ypg in his 4.5 games with us this year. Tebow averaged 150 in his 11.5 games. Considering all that went on during the season and the significantly smaller number of opportunities to throw (about 23 per game on average for Tebow compared to 34 for Orton) it looks to me like the passing game didn't really regress at all under Tebow. It was poor to begin with. Poor blocking, poor receiving options, poor everything.

Disagree. We will never, ever, ever win a Super Bowl when our QB completes 3 passes in a half. We need a QB who can throw the damn ball.

Shananahan
01-14-2012, 09:25 PM
I'll keep it short: Lamichael James.
I appreciate the pun, and I completely agree.

I've stated my opinion about Michael Bush, but if they can draft James without dropping a top pick I'd be all for it.

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Everyone sees that our offensive line is pretty good and still young.

Who is everyone? Because everyone must have missed the game tonight. Or most games this year where they faced any kind of serious pass rush for that matter.

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Disagree. We will never, ever, ever win a Super Bowl when our QB completes 3 passes in a half. We need a QB who can throw the damn ball.

So his receivers dropping 25% of his passes and his line failing to block anybody all day had nothing to do with that? Is that what you are saying?

snowspot66
01-14-2012, 09:29 PM

The numbers don't lie. He can throw it just fine. The "accuracy" card is a dead argument. It's obvious to anybody that watches the game that the major reason his completion percentage is so low is receiver drops and a ****load of throw aways. He doesn't have the experience he needs to be consistent and efficient hitting the right reads and check downs thus the large number of throwaways. That's entirely mental and we'll have to wait until next year to see if that will get better or not.

Even Brady, for all his greatness, had a couple get away from him tonight, just like Tebow. Of course Brady was getting actual blocking from his linemen.

NFLBRONCO
01-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Whatever happens with Tebow in Denver. I have to see Denver actually even make an honest effort to bolster O enough to even help him to cover up his flaws.

yerner
01-14-2012, 09:32 PM
One way or another they have to get rid of this option garbage. Tebow is going to have to make consistent plays for inside the pocket in a more traditional offense or this team isn't going anywhere.

snowspot66
01-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Whatever happens with Tebow in Denver. I have to see Denver actually even make an honest effort to bolster O enough to even help him.

No QB will have any major success with the talent we have on offense. We have two decent receivers with a case of the occasional drops, tight ends in name only, a solid but aging running back, and an offensive line that can't block for a drop back pass regardless of how well the QB can execute it.

We need a lot more talent.

snowspot66
01-14-2012, 09:36 PM
One way or another they have to get rid of this option garbage. Tebow is going to have to make consistent plays for inside the pocket in a more traditional offense or this team isn't going anywhere.

I like having it in the playbook but if we're going to run 60% or more of the plays it just won't work.

Rohirrim
01-14-2012, 09:38 PM

I agree. We have a strong foundation. That's obvious given how far they took this season against all the opinions of the "experts." This is a tight, focused lockerroom. That's worth something alone, and one of the hardest intangibles to get right. I hope our first draft pick is MLB or CB. It will be too bad to lose Dawkins leadership, but it can't be helped. Adios Goodman.

I'm hoping that the team is active in free agency. Look what Sproles did for the Saints? It would be great to get that kind of impact player, on offense or defense. Maybe the best target for an impact FA would be at WR. A good FA S would work too. I feel good about the core of this team. We need to find the right pieces to add in.

Denver724
01-14-2012, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=Agamemnon;3466502]So his receivers dropping 25% of his passes and his line failing to block anybody all day had nothing to do with that? Is that what you are saying?[/

Are we watching the same games? The games where the receivers are wide open and he misses them? The games where the receivers are wide open and he doesn't even see them? Our current QB is a great person, but, in my opinion, a horrible QB.

dsmoot
01-14-2012, 09:45 PM
I agree. We have a strong foundation. That's obvious given how far they took this season against all the opinions of the "experts." This is a tight, focused lockerroom. That's worth something alone, and one of the hardest intangibles to get right. I hope our first draft pick is MLB or CB. It will be too bad to lose Dawkins leadership, but it can't be helped. Adios Goodman.

I'm hoping that the team is active in free agency. Look what Sproles did for the Saints? It would be great to get that kind of impact player, on offense or defense. Maybe the best target for an impact FA would be at WR. A good FA S would work too. I feel good about the core of this team. We need to find the right pieces to add in.

If we are going to turn it all the way around, it will have to be draft and FA success. I am concerned how we will make the transition in the secondary from aging cornerbacks and young but not convincing safeties. At the same time, I only see Von at LB past two years from now. I don't see anyone currently on the roster that is a step away from supplanting DJ, Mays or Woodyard. It will be interesting.

Denver724
01-14-2012, 09:45 PM

Then we better get a new QB now. Tebows best attribute is his running skills. He has shown that he can't be a pocket passer.

Turd_Ferguson
01-14-2012, 09:47 PM

I pretty much agree. DB and DT aren't as big a problem as they are made out to be IMO. Good safeties tend to hide average corners... I'd say QB (whether Tebow improvement or finding a new one), Safety, MLB, and RB are the biggest needs.

Denver724
01-14-2012, 09:47 PM
No QB will have any major success with the talent we have on offense. We have two decent receivers with a case of the occasional drops, tight ends in name only, a solid but aging running back, and an offensive line that can't block for a drop back pass regardless of how well the QB can execute it.

We need a lot more talent.

I don't think we are as bare as most people think. I would love to see this offense run with a traditional drop back passer that can actually play the QB position (not Orton).

NFLBRONCO
01-14-2012, 09:49 PM
I think Denver needs speed on O period RB WR would be awesome.

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Are we watching the same games? The games where the receivers are wide open and he misses them? The games where the receivers are wide open and he doesn't even see them? Our current QB is a great person, but, in my opinion, a horrible QB.

Oh I think we are watching the same games, it's just that I actually know what I'm looking at and you clearly don't.

You see I see the things you are referring to, and I know that Tebow makes plenty of mistakes most games. But those mistakes are all magnified by the fact that his o-line often fails to protect him and his receivers have terrible hands. Seriously, by my count his receivers flat-out dropped about 20% of his passes in this game, and his o-line couldn't keep anyone out of the backfield all day.

Tebow is a young player who needs time to develop, and he's played on a very bad offense all year long. Seriously you need to learn how the game of football works before judging the guy as a QB.

barryr
01-14-2012, 09:51 PM
The DL never does anything against good passing teams this year and people think the Broncos just need better players in the secondary. I don't care if you have 4 Pro Bowlers back there, you can not give a good QB in the NFL all day to throw the ball and let him feel comfortable. Until the DL gets at least one really good player, this will never be a great defense.

barryr
01-14-2012, 09:53 PM
I think Denver needs speed on O period RB WR would be awesome.

No question more speed is needed on offense, someone at least able to consistently be a threat to take a short pass and go the distance anytime he touches it.

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 09:54 PM
The DL never does anything against good passing teams this year and people think the Broncos just need better players in the secondary. I don't care if you have 4 Pro Bowlers back there, you can not give a good QB in the NFL all day to throw the ball and let him feel comfortable. Until the DL gets at least one really good player, this will never be a great defense.

Unfortunately, as good as Miller and Dumervil are a team can't just rely on two players for their pass rush. Getting more pass rushers on this team is something that would certainly help.

yerner
01-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Then we better get a new QB now. Tebows best attribute is his running skills. He has shown that he can't be a pocket passer.

I'm not sure there are many options at Qb that make sense for this team right now. They are not going to overpay in free agency and I don't think there will be a qb that deep in the 2nd that will be a viable first year starter.

ScottXray
01-14-2012, 09:57 PM

Pocket passers are supposed to have a pocket to throw from. I missed that...did you see one tonight?

barryr
Unfortunately, as good as Miller and Dumervil are a team can't just rely on two players for their pass rush. Getting more pass rushers on this team is something that would certainly help.

When Miller got hurt, the pass rush pretty much went MIA.

Agamemnon
Pocket passers are supposed to have a pocket to throw from. I missed that...did you see one tonight?

Hilarious!

barryr
01-14-2012, 10:00 PM

He thinks if just had a different QB, the OL blocks better, the WR's get open all game and make great plays all game, and even better, the defense becomes the Orange Crush of the 70's. All Tebow's fault of course, but where was he last week?

cabronco
01-14-2012, 10:02 PM

Yes. Unfortunately all night long and for the other team.

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 10:03 PM
He thinks if just had a different QB, the OL blocks better, the WR's get open all game and make great plays all game, and even better, the defense becomes the Orange Crush of the 70's. All Tebow's fault of course, but where was he last week?

And I suppose the receivers grow thumbs as well...perhaps in celebration at the coming of their new "real" QB savior.

ScottXray
01-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Yes. Unfortunately all night long and for the other team.

Well, your'e right there. But I don't think I saw one clean pocket on our side all night. Tebow threw from a pocket last week, and did it pretty well.

But that was last week and apparently imposters got on the plane to Foxboro
this week.

cabronco
01-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Well, your'e right there. But I don't think I saw one clean pocket on our side all night. Tebow threw from a pocket last week, and did it pretty well.

But that was last week and apparently imposters got on the plane to Foxboro
this week.

He had a couple rare occasions 2nite, one was a nice timing route to Royal for a first down and another to Thomas. But I agree the pocket collapsed more often than not. Towards the end of the game TT was getting pretty heated about it too, looked like he was yelling something to the lineman.

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 10:22 PM
He had a couple rare occasions 2nite, one was a nice timing route to Royal for a first down and another to Thomas. But I agree the pocket collapsed more often than not. Towards the end of the game TT was getting pretty heated about it too, looked like he was yelling something to the lineman.

You know it's bad when Tebow starts losing his cool...

Cito Pelon
01-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Why the hell would we do that? Next year is all Tebow. He'll sink or swim and that will determine where we go from there.

That will be the case. Need an MLB, and basically some LB's that get INT's. I bet Denver's LB's have about 2 INT's the past five years. The DB's aren't kicking ass getting INT's either. Minus 14 in turnovers this year, and that's not good. Lucky to make the playoffs with that ratio.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-14-2012, 10:29 PM

This offense is far from elite and has probably one or two plus players on it

Cito Pelon
01-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Royal I don't see him being resigned, so they'll have to find someone in the draft.

Denver724
01-14-2012, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=Agamemnon;3466558]Oh I think we are watching the same games, it's just that I actually know what I'm looking at and you clearly don't.

You see I see the things you are referring to, and I know that Tebow makes plenty of mistakes most games. But those mistakes are all magnified by the fact that his o-line often fails to protect him and his receivers have terrible hands. Seriously, by my count his receivers flat-out dropped about 20% of his passes in this game, and his o-line couldn't keep anyone out of the backfield all day.

Tebow is a young player who needs time to develop, and he's played on a very bad offense all year long. Seriously you need to learn how the game of football works before judging the guy as a QB.[/

Wow! An expert. I wasn't aware that you had such a pedigree.

Denver724
01-14-2012, 10:36 PM
This offense is far from elite and has probably one or two plus players on it

Agamemnon seems to think our entire team sucks except Tebow. After reading his posts I have concluded we are on the 10 year plan.

Vine
01-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Gase and McCoy out.

Strength and Conditioning coach out as well.

The only qb Denver drafts will be one to back-up Tebow, perhaps in the 5th round, or so.

So many damn holes. O'Line, D'Line, CB, Safety, and need a REAL WR to compliment DT.

sinuous sausage
01-14-2012, 10:53 PM

good god

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Wow! An expert. I wasn't aware that you had such a pedigree.

Dude learn how to ****ing quote...

Vine
01-14-2012, 10:55 PM

Elway had the same stats in one of his Super Bowl losses.

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Agamemnon seems to think our entire team sucks except Tebow. After reading his posts I have concluded we are on the 10 year plan.

I think you suck as a poster, and I'm tired of you misrepresenting my opinions.

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Royal I don't see him being resigned, so they'll have to find someone in the draft.

No loss there.

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Gase and McCoy out.

Strength and Conditioning coach out as well.

Personally I'd prefer a whole new coaching staff, but I could live with that.

epicSocialism4tw
01-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Last offseason, Denver went hard after a long-term solution at RB. They threw a lot of money at Deangelo Williams. They went with a stop-gap in McGahee. This offseason, expect them to go after another big money player at RB. I'm pretty sure that this will be a priority.

I think that the Broncos will resign Marcus Thomas and Vickerson and will go to bat next year with Warren/Vick/Bunk/Thomas at DT, and though thats not a group of cornerstone players, its a group of guys who can get the job done.

I'm not exactly sure how the Broncos will address MLB and SS. Carter will start at either SS or FS.

There are a lot of holes.

Ratboy
01-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Personally I'd prefer a whole new coaching staff, but I could live with that.

You mean the coaching staff that threw out their playbook and started a new one from scratch to help Tebow play in the NFL?

What do you think would happen if a new coaching staff came in here? Do you honestly believe Tebow would still start in Denver? Nope.

Keep wishing for new coaches and you'll be joining a different fan forum.

Agamemnon
01-14-2012, 11:48 PM
You mean the coaching staff that threw out their playbook and start a new one from scratch to help Tebow play in the NFL?

What do you think would happen if a new coaching staff came in here? Do you honestly believe Tebow would still start in Denver? Nope.

Keep wishing for new coaches and you'll be joining a different fan forum.

If you go out and hire a coach who knows how to actually use a spread option QB there's no reason to think Tebow has any trouble staying the starter.

And the redesign of the offense? Yeah anyone who has watched any college football could've managed that. It basically boiled down to adding in very basic option plays and running more shotgun formations. Whoopty ****ing do.

Ratboy
01-14-2012, 11:58 PM
If you go out and hire a coach who knows how to actually use a spread option QB there's no reason to think Tebow has any trouble staying the starter.

And the redesign of the offense? Yeah anyone who has watched any college football could've managed that. It basically boiled down to adding in very basic option plays and running more shotgun formations. Whoopty ****ing do.

You just watched the option offense fail miserably. Did more than 1 option play during NE even work? I am not sure why anyone would want a full time option offense.

NFLBRONCO
01-14-2012, 11:59 PM

This part I agree with you. Then add an option to a team with not enough speed to hope for any big plays real dumb.

Agamemnon
01-15-2012, 12:09 AM
You just watched the option offense fail miserably. Did more than 1 option play during NE even work? I am not sure why anyone would want a full time option offense.

I'm not saying they need to install a spread option offense (though it might well work). I'm saying that a spread option QB is most comfortable in spread formations, not in power formations with one or two receivers. The fact that Fox and McCoy don't seem to get that at all is pretty much a perfect example of how clueless they are when it comes to Tebow.

And when I say a spread option offense might work, you have to understand that Urban Meyer's option scheme is a hundred times more complex and unpredictable than the crap McCoy is running (simply not running on every 1st down is already a huge improvement honestly) and that it implements the passing game in a much more balanced and organic way. McCoy's option plays would get snuffed out on the college level so quick it's laughable, and his passing plays aren't even worth talking about.

That's what drives me crazy about all this talk of how McCoy adapted to Tebow. It was a weak ass adaptation in every way, and the guy had months to come up with stuff during the offseason. It pretty much shows how bad he is as an offensive mind, not how great he is.

HAT
01-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Coaching staff: Status quo

QB: Tebow named starter, + Weber & a FA (Josh Johnson?)

RB: FA + LM James in round 2.

WR: No choice but to draft. Preferably a 3rd rounder but if Jeffery is there at 25...Tempting

OL: FA or draft an RT in the 4th & kick Franklin to G

DT: Status quo or draft Fletcher Cox @ 25

MLB: FA or draft Burfict @ 25

CB: Draft Chase Minnifield @ 25

S: FA and late round draft only. They've invested too many draft picks in the position lately....4 picks in the first 4 rounds over the last 3 years.

ColoradoBuff
01-15-2012, 07:54 AM

^
THIS!!!

Jekyll15Hyde
01-15-2012, 07:57 AM

WR: No choice but to draft. Preferably a 3rd rounder but if Jeffery is there at 25...Tempting

S: FA and late round draft only. They've invested too many draft picks in the position lately....4 picks in the first 4 rounds over the last 3 years.

No.... Much rather find a way to get Hightower, even if we have to move up a few pics

Denver724
01-15-2012, 08:00 AM

Yes, Yes, Yes! Make him a pocket passer or find a QB who can do it. All this talk about the running the option and spread option is foolish. There is a reason why the option isn't run in the NFL.

broncobum6162
01-15-2012, 08:11 AM
The numbers don't lie. He can throw it just fine. The "accuracy" card is a dead argument. It's obvious to anybody that watches the game that the major reason his completion percentage is so low is receiver drops and a ****load of throw aways. He doesn't have the experience he needs to be consistent and efficient hitting the right reads and check downs thus the large number of throwaways. That's entirely mental and we'll have to wait until next year to see if that will get better or not.

Even Brady, for all his greatness, had a couple get away from him tonight, just like Tebow. Of course Brady was getting actual blocking from his linemen.

Tebow also has a OC who has no concept of a rhythm passing game to get the QB into the flow of the game.

broncobum6162
01-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Methinks you quotes the truth!

I'm not saying they need to install a spread option offense (though it might well work). I'm saying that a spread option QB is most comfortable in spread formations, not in power formations with one or two receivers. The fact that Fox and McCoy don't seem to get that at all is pretty much a perfect example of how clueless they are when it comes to Tebow.

And when I say a spread option offense might work, you have to understand that Urban Meyer's option scheme is a hundred times more complex and unpredictable than the crap McCoy is running (simply not running on every 1st down is already a huge improvement honestly) and that it implements the passing game in a much more balanced and organic way. McCoy's option plays would get snuffed out on the college level so quick it's laughable, and his passing plays aren't even worth talking about.

That's what drives me crazy about all this talk of how McCoy adapted to Tebow. It was a weak ass adaptation in every way, and the guy had months to come up with stuff during the offseason. It pretty much shows how bad he is as an offensive mind, not how great he is.

broncobum6162
01-15-2012, 08:25 AM
I don't think we are as bare as most people think. I would love to see this offense run with a traditional drop back passer that can actually play the QB position (not Orton).

There should be a 1300 post rule that applies to you.

Drek
01-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Yes, Yes, Yes! Make him a pocket passer or find a QB who can do it. All this talk about the running the option and spread option is foolish. There is a reason why the option isn't run in the NFL.

That reason is because there has never been a player who can withstand the role like Tebow.

The Eagles ran effectively a spread option last season when they torched the league. This year it failed to produce results because Vick couldn't stay healthy and their defense couldn't keep opposing teams out of the end zone.

We have a similar weapon in Tebow, at a younger age, but one who is built to withstand the beating of running the ball 5-10 times a game.

The best teams in the NFL did not find their key attributes by looking at what worked in the NFL and copying that. They looked at what their personnel could do and what their coaches knew and built a system to fit it.

The Steelers have been running the same style of 3-4 defense for about three decades now. They draft guys who fit the system, they hire coaches who fit their system. While it is a system others copy (Wade Phillips for example) they run it in a uniquely Steelers way and therefore it is hard as hell to stop.

New Orleans' spread passing attack is a uniquely New Orleans trait that other steams show up and wonder where the hell they'll find enough corners to keep up as Drew Brees' pinpoint passing attacks them intermediate and deep all game long.

Green Bay has borrowed heavily from the same sources as New Orleans but McCarthy has mixed in some uniquely WCO styles with Rodgers being moved around the field to get them better shots deep. They also will go short and let WRs pick up YAC to then set up the big bombs, working you in the 0-10 and 20+ ranges while New Orleans prefers the 10-20 and 20+ ranges (since Brees throws the most accurate intermediate ball in the NFL).

New England has had two distinct offenses all their own in the last several years. One similar in area of attack to the Packers' current offense but with fewer targets added in the mix, instead relying on superior talent (Welker and Moss) to carve up the opposition. The other is the current offense, utilizing big, athletic TEs to exploit the inability of secondaries to cover targets with their combination of size and speed. Welker still controls the 0-10 range and now gets to attack deep on the outsides once the defense has been appropriately conditioned by Gronkowski and Hernandez catching bombs over the middle.

Indy when Manning was healthy ran an offense unlike anything else in the league where the QB was effectively the OC as well and could freely read and adjust to anything he saw on the fly. The end result is that an entire week of preparation could be negated by the opposition and force guys looking to play on honed instinct into having to think and react, costing valuable seconds and letting Manning have both time and room to place the football. Death to any defense.

Denver had that in our running game but an inability to maintain a reasonable talent level and coaching turnover took it away from us. It is currently on display in Houston where the Texans have brought it back to life with two of our former OCs (and the guy who should be our starting center right now).

I could go on, but I think that is enough examples. The consistently great teams in the league know what they are good at and top down make sure to never give that up if they can help it. Their styles do constantly evolve, as we see in the Saints becoming more run heavy and the Pats transition from '07 to '11. But much of the core concepts remain.

Denver is on to something defensively with Miller as a linebacker we target all over the field to get after the QB. It lets us bring more of a stacked zone blitz than 4-3 defenses are normally able to feature. But we've got a ways to go if we're going to fully develop that system and some real personnel needs to make it happen.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for that same advantage on offense, especially with a QB like Tebow. I'd agree that we need to tone down the option plays and instead make greater use of Tebow's ability to put the ball in good position deep down field. But it is a wrinkle we should retain as long as Tebow is capable of doing it. More importantly, we need to find a way to incorporate spread principles into the passing offense in general.

peacepipe
01-15-2012, 10:06 AM
That reason is because there has never been a player who can withstand the role like Tebow.

The Eagles ran effectively a spread option last season when they torched the league. This year it failed to produce results because Vick couldn't stay healthy and their defense couldn't keep opposing teams out of the end zone.

We have a similar weapon in Tebow, at a younger age, but one who is built to withstand the beating of running the ball 5-10 times a game.

The best teams in the NFL did not find their key attributes by looking at what worked in the NFL and copying that. They looked at what their personnel could do and what their coaches knew and built a system to fit it.

The Steelers have been running the same style of 3-4 defense for about three decades now. They draft guys who fit the system, they hire coaches who fit their system. While it is a system others copy (Wade Phillips for example) they run it in a uniquely Steelers way and therefore it is hard as hell to stop.

New Orleans' spread passing attack is a uniquely New Orleans trait that other steams show up and wonder where the hell they'll find enough corners to keep up as Drew Brees' pinpoint passing attacks them intermediate and deep all game long.

Green Bay has borrowed heavily from the same sources as New Orleans but McCarthy has mixed in some uniquely WCO styles with Rodgers being moved around the field to get them better shots deep. They also will go short and let WRs pick up YAC to then set up the big bombs, working you in the 0-10 and 20+ ranges while New Orleans prefers the 10-20 and 20+ ranges (since Brees throws the most accurate intermediate ball in the NFL).

New England has had two distinct offenses all their own in the last several years. One similar in area of attack to the Packers' current offense but with fewer targets added in the mix, instead relying on superior talent (Welker and Moss) to carve up the opposition. The other is the current offense, utilizing big, athletic TEs to exploit the inability of secondaries to cover targets with their combination of size and speed. Welker still controls the 0-10 range and now gets to attack deep on the outsides once the defense has been appropriately conditioned by Gronkowski and Hernandez catching bombs over the middle.

Indy when Manning was healthy ran an offense unlike anything else in the league where the QB was effectively the OC as well and could freely read and adjust to anything he saw on the fly. The end result is that an entire week of preparation could be negated by the opposition and force guys looking to play on honed instinct into having to think and react, costing valuable seconds and letting Manning have both time and room to place the football. Death to any defense.

Denver had that in our running game but an inability to maintain a reasonable talent level and coaching turnover took it away from us. It is currently on display in Houston where the Texans have brought it back to life with two of our former OCs (and the guy who should be our starting center right now).

I could go on, but I think that is enough examples. The consistently great teams in the league know what they are good at and top down make sure to never give that up if they can help it. Their styles do constantly evolve, as we see in the Saints becoming more run heavy and the Pats transition from '07 to '11. But much of the core concepts remain.

Denver is on to something defensively with Miller as a linebacker we target all over the field to get after the QB. It lets us bring more of a stacked zone blitz than 4-3 defenses are normally able to feature. But we've got a ways to go if we're going to fully develop that system and some real personnel needs to make it happen.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking for that same advantage on offense, especially with a QB like Tebow. I'd agree that we need to tone down the option plays and instead make greater use of Tebow's ability to put the ball in good position deep down field. But it is a wrinkle we should retain as long as Tebow is capable of doing it. More importantly, we need to find a way to incorporate spread principles into the passing offense in general.

in the beginning but as the season went on teams adjusted & it went flat.

Denver724
01-15-2012, 10:25 AM

I think you bring up a lot of good points. The offense should have things that Tebow can take advantage of (option, spread option, etc.), but it also has to be based on sound, basic principles so that when another QB has to come in he can also run the offense. I wonder how much of the offense Brady Quinn could have run if Tebow would have gotten hurt.

peacepipe
01-15-2012, 10:29 AM

The Steelers have been running the same style of 3-4 defense for about three decades now. They draft guys who fit the system, they hire coaches who fit their system. While it is a system others copy (Wade Phillips for example) they run it in a uniquely Steelers way and therefore it is hard as hell to stop.New Orleans' spread passing attack is a uniquely New Orleans trait that other steams show up and wonder where the hell they'll find enough corners to keep up as Drew Brees' pinpoint passing attacks them intermediate and deep all game long.

steelers system is based on all players on defense. all the players are easily replaced. just like a shanahan running game. what seems your suggesting is to change a system for 1 player. it never works.

gtown
01-15-2012, 11:03 AM

Agree with all of this, especially Burfict who can give our D some leadership and emotion like BDawk.