PDA

View Full Version : David Binn

MABroncoFan
01-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Longtime Chargers LS signed to replace Paxton tomorrow. Sylvester waived.

Armchair Bronco
01-14-2012, 02:21 AM
OK. That's a bit of good news at least. Hope we don't have to mention Binn's name again today, except to say, "Hey, I forgot all about Binn. Guess he did OK."

illbroncsfn
01-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Good move going w/the 17 year vet- he's been here before....

needSomeCoffee
01-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Binn has always kept himself in great shape. His age likely means it is too risky to put him on the season's roster, but for a short run of games.... likely no problemo. His snaps are a thing of beauty for sure. Rumor is that he can snap it to the holder in a way that the laces always end up facing the right direction. A fan favorite in Chargerdom for sure.

Gort
01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
if the Patriots were allowed to hire McD after the Rams season ended, just in time for their playoff run... that raises a question for me.

every team not in the playoffs is now done for the year. their players who were under contract only through 2011 automatically become free agents after the conclusion of their final game, right? if so, why can't a team like the Broncos go out and sign somebody who just became a free agent in time for the Broncos playoff run? seems a bit unfair if coaches can move around like that but players can't, right?

briane
01-14-2012, 10:08 AM
if the Patriots were allowed to hire McD after the Rams season ended, just in time for their playoff run... that raises a question for me.

every team not in the playoffs is now done for the year. their players who were under contract only through 2011 automatically become free agents after the conclusion of their final game, right? if so, why can't a team like the Broncos go out and sign somebody who just became a free agent in time for the Broncos playoff run? seems a bit unfair if coaches can move around like that but players can't, right?

Yeah, McD being able to work for the team at this time seems a bit unfair, but would you expect anything less from BeliCheat and the patties?

Drek
01-14-2012, 10:59 AM

No one becomes a free agent until after the SB, regardless of team. The only reason NE could hire McDaniels is because the Rams fired their entire staff.

A team releasing a player would be the appropriate analogy here. If a team did release someone the final week of the season we would be able to sign that player.

Gort
01-14-2012, 11:04 AM
No one becomes a free agent until after the SB, regardless of team. The only reason NE could hire McDaniels is because the Rams fired their entire staff.

A team releasing a player would be the appropriate analogy here. If a team did release someone the final week of the season we would be able to sign that player.

the Rams didn't fire McD. he was the only one not fired during that purge. they "let" him leave and go to the Patriots, which doesn't seem appropriate to me.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/51929/why-rams-let-mcdaniels-land-with-patriots

i don't think McD is going to make a difference in today's game, but i would rather have an overstressed Pats OC trying to gameplan while also working out the details of his move to Penn State, than to let the Pats basically have 2 OCs doing the same job though.

Drek
01-14-2012, 11:13 AM
the Rams didn't fire McD. he was the only one not fired during that purge. they "let" him leave and go to the Patriots, which doesn't seem appropriate to me.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/51929/why-rams-let-mcdaniels-land-with-patriots

i don't think McD is going to make a difference in today's game, but i would rather have an overstressed Pats OC trying to gameplan while also working out the details of his move to Penn State, than to let the Pats basically have 2 OCs doing the same job though.

They released McDaniels from his contract, that is the same as being fired. The only difference is that they knew he had another job lined up to free them of the contract obligations, so they did it post-haste.

Gort
01-14-2012, 11:27 AM
They released McDaniels from his contract, that is the same as being fired. The only difference is that they knew he had another job lined up to free them of the contract obligations, so they did it post-haste.

and my point stands. why can't a team "release" a player from their contract after the regular season, but before the SB? for example, Lloyd's contract in STL is done. their season is over. technically, he's still under contract according to what you posted above, but why couldn't Denver, STL, and Lloyd work the same deal to let him come to Denver for the playoffs now that we've lost Decker? i'm not saying we SHOULD do that, just that the league rules seem to be a bit "loose" in this area if coaches are allowed to do something that players can't.