PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to avoid update until Sunday morning?

brncs_fan
01-12-2012, 07:27 PM
So, long story short, after our wonderful game against Buffalo, I made some family plans to go see a hockey game (an annual event). Lots of plans have been made and people are driving hours to be apart of the festivities.

Well...turns out that I just happen to pick out the exact moment that The Broncos will be playing the Patriots, in Foxboro, in a nationally televised playoff game, with the AFC Championship Game just one win away, and Tebow coming off his first ever playoff victory (Which I believe gives him a better winning percentage than Brady).

So I already have the DVR set, removed my Twitter feed from my phone, ignoring all text messages and phone calls, and staying away from anything showing the game or flashing scores.

So my question then is ... is it possible to avoid finding out anything until I can get the game watched Sunday morning?

RhymesayersDU
01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
No way, I've tried.

Chris
01-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Totes, brah.

Sunglasses and earmuffs
Earmuffs and sunglasses

I was in Hong Kong over xmas and was able to watch the NE, Buff and KC games without anyone telling me didleedoo. That said, it's another part of the world. The trick is to not turn on the TV (or go to any general websites) and tell everyone around you they're dead if they speak of the broncos. Worked really well around the holidays.

Turd_Ferguson
01-12-2012, 07:34 PM
So, long story short, after our wonderful game against Buffalo, I made some family plans to go see a hockey game (an annual event). Lots of plans have been made and people are driving hours to be apart of the festivities.

Well...turns out that I just happen to pick out the exact moment that The Broncos will be playing the Patriots, in Foxboro, in a nationally televised playoff game, with the AFC Championship Game just one win away, and Tebow coming off his first ever playoff victory (Which I believe gives him a better winning percentage than Brady).

So I already have the DVR set, removed my Twitter feed from my phone, ignoring all text messages and phone calls, and staying away from anything showing the game or flashing scores.

So my question then is ... is it possible to avoid finding out anything until I can get the game watched Sunday morning?

I coach a high school hockey team and wouldn't you know it we have a game that night. So im debating watching the game on the bench on my Droid or counting on DVRing it and hoping some jack wad doesnt come bumbling up at the game and ruin it.

brncs_fan
01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I coach a high school hockey team and wouldn't you know it we have a game that night. So im debating watching the game on the bench on my Droid or counting on DVRing it and hoping so jack wad doesnt come bumbling up at the game and ruin it.

****ty fans of the world UNITE!

El Guapo
01-12-2012, 07:44 PM

I feel your pain. Although I was planning on hosting a freakin party at my house on the east coast and then I found out a few hours ago that I will be unable to be anywhere near a TV due to work related reasons 1 hr prior until sunday morning. I am turning off all electronic leashes at kickoff and watching the dvr as soon as I get home from my 18 hr day. ugh.

Best of luck to you. haha

ColoradoDarin
01-12-2012, 07:45 PM
No.

In fact, I would bet they show the score of the game at the hockey game. Good luck with that though.

teknic
01-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Watch it on your smartphone?

brncs_fan
01-12-2012, 07:47 PM
No.

In fact, I would bet they show the score of the game at the hockey game. Good luck with that though.

I thought about that as well. My plan is to keep my eyes focused squarely on the ice and on my beer and nachos.

Armchair Bronco
01-12-2012, 07:47 PM
If you're in North America or maybe even in the UK, then you're screwed.

Sorry, man.

brncs_fan
01-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Watch it on your smartphone?

Not the same and pretty anti-social.

Agamemnon
01-12-2012, 07:57 PM

You'll probably need to avoid all human contact as well.

Jay3
01-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I would just bail on everybody and let them down.

Armchair Bronco
01-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I would just bail on everybody and let them down.

Yeah, tell them you aren't feeling well. Say that you had some bad Mexican food and let them draw their own conclusions.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2012, 08:03 PM
I would just disappoint your family!

Armchair Bronco
01-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Is there a sports bar need the hockey game? Just drop 'em off at the arena, then head over to a sports bar and have some drinks.

Jay3
01-12-2012, 08:07 PM
As you leave the hockey game, say loudly that you have explosive diarrhea.

maher_tyler
01-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Don't wear any Broncos gear anywhere...i've had random people start talking to me about our win on Sunday almost every day since our win when i wore any of my gear...ditch your family man, just tell them you feel like ****. If they know you're a huge Broncos fan, they prolly wont have to think to hard to figure out what is going on. Good Luck!

delany
01-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Not possible. You are screwed.

gunns
01-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Somebody nearby will say something, they'll show the score, you'll have to check it out. Unless you OD on some drugs there is no way you can avoid it.

I'm sorry dude you are too polite. The smartphone is antisocial? Doesn't your family know your passion? My family works around the Broncos. They know. Yours should see what a great guy you are while your team is playing you are at a hockey game with them. Check the smartphone.

fwf
01-12-2012, 08:36 PM
try and talk them into watching the broncos game with you instead. offer free beer and catering.

Armchair Bronco
01-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Get to the game, hand out the tickets, and just as you're at the turnstile, you realize that you've misplaced your ticket!

Damn! What a shame. Assuming the hockey game is a sellout, you'll have no choice but to watch the hockety game at the nearest sports bar.

Go there, and watch the Broncos game instead. Problem solved.

RhymesayersDU
01-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Speaking of being impolite, I'm totally blowing off a birthday dinner on Saturday and I don't feel bad about it in the least. Told the people I would meet up with them after the game.

myMind
01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
God speed my friend, I was in the same boat for a few seasons while working down in Florida. I made it work most weekends, but it meant cutting off any conversation with anyone who might know anything before it started. Typically with a" Dont tell me anything about the Broncos."...its only a minor hinderance...

Mogulseeker
01-12-2012, 08:58 PM

It's impossible for any game...

Heck in the 2006 world cup I missed the Sweden-England game (big Sweden fan) and had it on my comp. I couldn't even go one day in the Navy - when I first walked in on the ship and a friend who knew I was into Sweden came in with a huge grin "you want me to tell you what happened" .... "no" .... "well it's good." Literally 20 minutes later another coworker came into the office and said "isn't it amazing how Sweden tied it up for the upset in stoppage time."

There you go.

ScottXray
01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Speaking of being impolite, I'm totally blowing off a birthday dinner on Saturday and I don't feel bad about it in the least. Told the people I would meet up with them after the game.

My family knows better than to expect me to miss ANY Bronco game ( including pre-season usually). I have skipped weddings, birthdays, and many other social events for the last 40 years due to a game being on. My friends know that if the Broncos are on they may as well just not even ask me to do anything, or go anywhere else, during the game, or to turn it on in a spare room if they want me to attend. That's where I'll be, making appearances during halftime and some breaks.

I have even delayed travel for work and taken red-eyes going back east and arrived a bit late rather than miss games. It about drove me nuts when I had to go to europe for work because I absolutely had to go by Saturday morning to arrive in time to work Monday.

Anyway in time my wife adjusted to my obsession and has even become almost as much of a fan as I am. She knows Bronco football season is sacrosanct to me, so we watch together.

The last few years have been pretty miserable, as the games have generally not been very much fun. So she sometimes doesn't sit and watch it all the way through. This year has been really amazing, as TEbow and the Broncos have pulled out a few miracles. I am one that watches it all, right up to the final gun, even in most blow outs.

Maybe that is my penance for being kind of an ass about it. But it is my one real passionate thing.

Rigs11
01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
God will smite you if you don't watch.relax...I kid

Meck77
01-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Do what you gotta do man. I had to rent a satellite phone in 2005 to get updates of the AFC championship game while floating the Amazon river. I almost considered cancelling the trip but glad I didn't in the end.

Hotrod
01-12-2012, 09:19 PM
I wouldnt sweet it man you can watch them beat the Texans next week on the way to a showdown with the cheese heads.

spdirty
01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't let anything get in the way of watching this game. And be honest with em. Tell em this game is too important to miss.

Vegas_Bronco
01-12-2012, 10:36 PM
No don't worry about this game...its nothing...just another playoff game...go spend time with the family while you mentally try to guess what is happening in the game and it drives you nuts trying to avoid it...and then you log on and find the opposite result has occurred...then your family asks what is wrong or why your in such a good/bad mood...

No, I tell you, its well worth the enjoyable family time!

t-diddy
01-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Easy. Fake seizure. Watch the game in the hospital room while under "observation". Problem solved, you're welcome.

brncs_fan
01-13-2012, 04:01 AM
So to some it up, I am a schmuck/hero with 0 chance of finding out about the game.

Well ****.

theAPAOps5
01-14-2012, 09:10 PM
DON'T WATCH DON'T WATCH DON'T WATCH

ant1999e
01-14-2012, 09:13 PM
DON'T WATCH DON'T WATCH DON'T WATCH

This!!!

Pick Six
01-14-2012, 09:18 PM
If there is ever a game to miss, this is it...