PDA

View Full Version : DT

jhns
01-12-2012, 12:24 PM
This is a good read. There is a lot more in the link.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825ee60a/article/thomas-overcame-rocky-upbringing-to-become-broncos-hero?module=HP11_cp

Thomas overcame rocky upbringing to become Broncos hero

DENVER -- With a black sharpie in his right hand, Denver Broncos receiver Demaryius Thomas turned over his left arm before Sunday's game against the Steelers and began writing the names of two women.

He started on the backside of his wrist, working toward the inside of his elbow, one name inked next to the other: Katina and Minnie. For the next five hours, Thomas looked down at that arm often, a vivid reminder of relentless love and loyalty.

"It made me remember who I was doing this for," Thomas said Wednesday during a private interview in a back hallway at the Broncos' training facility.

It was the most important day of Thomas' young career, and he went on to score on an 80-yard, game-winning overtime touchdown that shocked the sports world. But his mother and grandmother weren't able to experience the moment from inside Mile High Stadium.

That's because Katina and Minnie Thomas instead watched from the same place they've spent each day since Thomas began playing football in the 10th grade: in prison.

Gator20134
01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Both women have been housed here since 2000, when they were convicted of trafficking cocaine.

They have been incarcerated for half of his life.

Both women were convicted in February 2000, when Demaryius was 12 years old. Smith was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison. Because Minnie Thomas had two prior drug convictions, she was given two life sentences, with the possibility of parole after 40 years.

gyldenlove
01-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Remarkable how he has been able to break the negative social inheritance and use it as motivation and strength.

broncocalijohn
01-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Good to see he was brought up by someone who cared and had strong values in their life and shared it with DT. As for his Mom and Grandma, nice piece of ****s to DT and society.

Mogulseeker
01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Remarkable how he has been able to break the negative social inheritance and use it as motivation and strength.

It says a lot about his resolve. Many people blame a lot of the bad behavior of athletes on two things: poor upbringing, and getting a lot of money at a young age.

DT has had both of these disadvantages, yet he seems very grounded.

oubronco
01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
You play You pay

crush17
01-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Good to see he was brought up by someone who cared and had strong values in their life and shared it with DT. As for his Mom and Grandma, nice piece of ****s to DT and society.

Woah woah woah. Easy there. You may want to educate yourself before you go assuming things.

You dont know their side of the story.

R8R H8R
01-12-2012, 01:40 PM
I had forgotten this part of his life. There was a story about these two ladies when DT was drafted, but I had completely forgotten this. Good to see he had strong guidance and love when they were inprisoned.

Also, it would be a great story to read this off-season if Tebow and DT go to the prison to talk to all the ladies there. Maybe they can turn-around a life or two.

In fact, they can bring Dawkins with them. I know that Tebow did this regularly when he was a Gator, so he may be open to it.

Broncoman13
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
I know that DT has overcome a lot of hardship in his life, but I still wonder what happened with him and Parrish Cox and that girl that night. We'll probably never know, but the stories of him being worried about the baby being his still make me wonder.

Agamemnon
01-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I know that DT has overcome a lot of hardship in his life, but I still wonder what happened with him and Parrish Cox and that girl that night. We'll probably never know, but the stories of him being worried about the baby being his still make me wonder.

Dude, come on. DT left before anything illegal happened. It's well-documented.

Broncoman13
01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Dude, come on. DT left before anything illegal happened. It's well-documented.

Then why was there talk about him being worried that the baby was his? I'm not saying he did something wrong... not by any means Just saying that I still wonder what happened.

KO5K
01-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Per the report, the woman remembers kissing and being fondled by Thomas. However, the former first-round draft pick said he left the apartment after she had passed out.

Thomas and Vaughn were ruled out as potential fathers through DNA testing.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Broncos-CB-Perrish-Cox-allegedly-drugged-raped-impregnated-woman.html

Thomas did have some sort of contact with the girl which is why he must've been worried, considering he was probably drunk perhaps he couldn't remember how far he had gone with her.

But since...

DNA tests show Denver Broncos cornerback Perrish Cox impregnated a woman that he said he didn't have sex with and two other Denver Broncos were present during the night she was raped, according to an arrest affidavit released Friday.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28636930/detail.html

Thomas is in the all clear. I just read an article about the whole story, apparently the girl involved was Wesley Woodyard's girlfriend not all that long before the incident took place, what a mess.

Agamemnon
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Then why was there talk about him being worried that the baby was his? I'm not saying he did something wrong... not by any means Just saying that I still wonder what happened.

There was talk? By whom? Seriously dude, there was absolutely no evidence of DT doing anything, and all witnesses stated he left before the alleged rape took place.

Jason in LA
01-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Woah woah woah. Easy there. You may want to educate yourself before you go assuming things.

I tend to agree with John. What's their side of the story? They sold crack rock to pay the rent?

Drugs has negatively affected many communities of all races, and it destroyed a lot of black communities. When crack hit LA in the '80s, just like in other parts of the country, the death rate shot way up. Gangs out here were already a problem, but when drugs came in those fools went out and got machine guns and were shooting up everybody.

I don't feel bad for anybody who is locked up for years for selling hardcore drugs (I don't have an issue with weed, even though I don't smoke it), or anybody who had anything to do with that drug game.

I think it is a great story that DT over came that, but his mother and grandmother are exactly where they should be. I feel bad for him, but not for them.

Broncoman13
01-12-2012, 03:04 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Broncos-CB-Perrish-Cox-allegedly-drugged-raped-impregnated-woman.html

Thomas did have some sort of contact with the girl which is why he must've been worried, considering he was probably drunk perhaps he couldn't remember how far he had gone with her.

But since...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28636930/detail.html

Thomas is in the all clear. I just read an article about the whole story, apparently the girl involved was Wesley Woodyard's girlfriend not all that long before the incident took place, what a mess.

I just read the complete police report (13 pgs), DT was not out of the picture. If you can read that report and think that he had nothing to say, nothing to add then you're just purposely looking away. Not saying he did anything illegal, but he certainly knew what happened that night. And he didn't leave, not until the following morning when he had to go to therapy at 0600.

Anyhow, that whole situation may be a blessing in disuguise for DT. He is completely innocent and was still trapped in a bad situation. Probably really minds his company and business now.

Not trying to making a mountain out of a molehill. Just for me personally, I see character questions with the circumstances of that whole Cox incident.

Broncoman13
01-12-2012, 03:06 PM
There was talk? By whom? Seriously dude, there was absolutely no evidence of DT doing anything, and all witnesses stated he left before the alleged rape took place.

You should try reading the police report then. He didn't leave. Not until he had to go to therapy the next morning.

BTW, I'm not accusing him of anything... just saying that a person that puts himself in that kind of situation is probably not as crystal clear in character as I had hoped.

Life goes on.

Agamemnon
01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
I just read the complete police report (13 pgs), DT was not in the clear. If you can read that report and think that he had nothing to say, nothing to add then you're just purposely looking away. Not saying he did anything illegal, but he certainly knew what happened that night. And he didn't leave, not until the following morning when he had to go to therapy at 0600.

Anyhow, that whole situation may be a blessing in disuguise for DT. He is completely innocent and was still trapped in a bad situation. Probably really minds his company and business now.

Not trying to making a mountain out of a molehill. Just for me personally, I see character questions with the circumstances of that whole Cox incident.

Just stop. This kind of **** is how people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time have their reputations ruined for no good reason--because people like to jump to conclusions and pass judgment based on nothing but conjecture. There is no evidence he did anything wrong. None. So just knock it off. Every guy who is at a party where a rape takes place is not a rapist, does not necessarily know it happened simply because he was there, and does not necessarily have anything wrong with his character.

Hell, the rape itself is still yet to be proven...

Agamemnon
01-12-2012, 03:16 PM
You should try reading the police report then. He didn't leave. Not until he had to go to therapy the next morning.

BTW, I'm not accusing him of anything... just saying that a person that puts himself in that kind of situation is probably not as crystal clear in character as I had hoped.

Life goes on.

What kind of situation? The guy was partying with his teammates, and one of those teammates allegedly did something illegal when he wasn't around.

This thread is about DT's perseverance in the face of a ****ty family situation, and you want to make it about this ****? Come on man...

Broncoman13
01-12-2012, 03:26 PM
What kind of situation? The guy was partying with his teammates, and one of those teammates allegedly did something illegal when he wasn't around.

This thread is about DT's perseverance in the face of a ****ty family situation, and you want to make it about this ****? Come on man...

You obviously still haven't read the police report... pretty specific details about what DT was doing with the girl right before she passed out. The girl even said she was shocked to find out it was anyone other than Thomas. That's not made up, that's in the police report slick.

Agamemnon
01-12-2012, 03:35 PM
You obviously still haven't read the police report... pretty specific details about what DT was doing with the girl right before she passed out. The girl even said she was shocked to find out it was anyone other than Thomas. That's not made up, that's in the police report slick.

And? He was making out with a girl at a party. So?

If anything, all that really does is make the whole rape allegation seem weird. She remembered making out with a guy at a party, then blacks out and fails to remember anything else. But when she ends up pregnant, it has to be rape? Really?

And no I haven't read the police report. Nor do I intend to. That's not something I find interesting or appealing as a Bronco fan.

mkporter
01-12-2012, 04:40 PM

So two young people got drunk and made out, and that's somehow a huge black eye on DT's character?

Jetmeck
01-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Like how humble he seems. Him and TT are very good people , good role models and could turn out to be a hell of a tandem in the NFL !

g00fyfoot
01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't know enough about DT to make any pronouncements about his character.

Broncoman13
01-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I don't know enough about DT to make any pronouncements about his character.

Kind of the point I was trying to make. DT had a lot of favorable comments and then has the small gifts thing from Ga Tech and then the bigger deal with the Perrish Cox thing. All I said is it raises questions for me. Right, wrong or indifferent it makes me wonder if it is window dressing or truly just wrong place wrong time.

Jetmeck
01-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Kind of the point I was trying to make. DT had a lot of favorable comments and then has the small gifts thing from Ga Tech and then the bigger deal with the Perrish Cox thing. All I said is it raises questions for me. Right, wrong or indifferent it makes me wonder if it is window dressing or truly just wrong place wrong time.

Like any of us have never done anything wrong.

Don't get all preachy with this...................

broncocalijohn
01-12-2012, 07:55 PM

LOL! Read the article. DT saw his Mom and Grandma making crack cocaine. What else do I need to assume? That they got 20 to 40 years for making crack cocaine and just using it for personal use? GTFO!

Broncoman13
01-12-2012, 09:36 PM
LOL! Read the article. DT saw his Mom and Grandma making crack cocaine. What else do I need to assume? That they got 20 to 40 years for making crack cocaine and just using it for personal use? GTFO!

But there really good people, the interwebz says so.

Agamemnon
01-12-2012, 09:54 PM
But there really good people, the interwebz says so.

I wouldn't simply assume they are bad people because they were tempted by the money of making crack while wallowing in poverty.

Broncoman13
01-12-2012, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't simply assume they are bad people because they were tempted by the money of making crack while wallowing in poverty.

I bet you don't have a problem with Joe Patterno or anyone else at Penn St that knew what Sandusky was doing. I mean, they weren't doing anything themselves so they must be okay... right?

Vegas_Bronco
01-12-2012, 11:00 PM
We all have our vices...some ppl are just really stupid at execution...of themselves.

pikkiwoki
01-12-2012, 11:13 PM

I for one welcome our new crack dealing overlords.

Agamemnon
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
I bet you don't have a problem with Joe Patterno or anyone else at Penn St that knew what Sandusky was doing. I mean, they weren't doing anything themselves so they must be okay... right?

I'm really trying to figure out the logical connection between the above post and me refusing to judge people as "bad" because they made mistakes under negative life circumstances, but I just can't.

You seem to have the black and white moral sensibilities of a child (or a tea party nut job).

errand
01-12-2012, 11:49 PM

Doesn't matter...we all make decisions...some right...some wrong. They're in prison because of their decisions.

While Demaryius' overcoming this adversity is a helluva story....but let's talk about the many other 12 year olds whose mom or dad bought drugs from these two women whose lives are now **** as they too are facing the same adversity as DT did.....i wonder if they're living in some swanky house, or living on the streets.