PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Mailbag: Can Broncos beat the Patriots? Sure, here's the gameplan

Bronco Rob
01-12-2012, 05:24 AM
Woody's Mailbag: Can Broncos beat the Patriots? Sure, here's the gameplan

By Woody Paige​The Denver Post
Posted: 01/12/2012 01:00:00 AM MST

Do you really think for one moment that the Broncos will win in New England? No home field advantage. No hobbled quarterback. No five starters missing from the lineup. I respect the fact that the Broncos beat the Steelers, but Tebow Time is over.---DA Cassidy, Pittsburgh]

DA, Sorry about the Steelers. Not really. But, as I wrote before the game, the Steelers have the best franchise, one of the best teams and the best fan following in the NFL. There will be many more years for the Steelers, and maybe the Broncos someday can be the Steelers, or the old Broncos of the 1980s and 1990s.

And if this was such a fluke, why are the Broncos 4-3 against the Steelers in playoff games? Four flukes. I don't think so. End of infomercial.

Do I think for a moment that the Broncos will win in New England? For a moment, yes. For hours, no. I'll give you a heads-up: in our Sunday column predictions, I am picking the Broncos to win by one point, but that's more whimsical thinking than anything else. If they have an outstanding game, and the Patriots play awful, the Broncos can win. The Patriots have lost their last two playoff games... at home, and to teams they drummed in the regular season.

So, anything is possible in the Year of the Miracle for the Broncos. BTW, I checked the Chinese calendar to see if this is the year of the Horse. No. I think it's 2014. So that should be the Broncos' year and right on John Elway​'s initial schedule when he took over the team.

Unlike the Steelers, the Patriots are healthy. That injury excuse is lame (pun intended). The Broncos had just as many important guys out of
the lineup, and lost Decker right away. The most important loss for the Steelers was Ryan Clark, who wasn't there to have Ike Taylor's back, or allow Troy Polamalu to roam freely. But get over it. The Broncos turned out to be just a bit better, and the Steelers' game plan was good on paper, but not on the field when Tebow was able to pass so well. Mike Tomlin said he would use the gameplan. Well, that's not very smart. That gameplan stunk.

Bill Belichick​ will have a better gameplan. But that 13 1/2 point spread for the Patriots is out of line (pun intended). The Broncos were up 16-7 before they fumbled the game away with three bang-bang-bang in the second quarter. Everybody says the Broncos were blown out and Tim Tebow played poorly. That was Tebow's best game (about 300 yards passing and running) before the Steelers game. The Patriots might have won, but it would have been close without the fumbles.

These are not the Patriots of Super Bowl years. Their defense is mediocre. So, who knows honestly? I have a moment here and there during which I think the Broncos can win. But about 23 hours of each day I'm sure the Patriots will win.

for the rest...............http://www.denverpost.com/woodysmailbag/ci_19723673?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

Vegas_Bronco
01-12-2012, 05:31 AM
All I know is that I have to check my toilet and shower each morning for hidden cameras just bc its patriots week. Its a reel pain in the azz.

Bronco Rob
01-12-2012, 05:43 AM
All I know is that I have to check my toilet and shower each morning for hidden cameras just bc its patriots week. Its a reel pain in the azz.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Rumor has it that Bill Belichick hired Steven Spielberg to film the Denver Broncos practices this week.

33 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

fontaine
01-12-2012, 06:20 AM
I think this is an easier game for the Broncos to win compared to the Pittsburgh matchup.

Our strength on offense is still running the ball and the Pats defense is not going to stop it. They don't have the secondary to go one on one like Pittsburgh tried.

I expect NE to score 24+ points in this game, but I also expect our offense to churn out yards on the ground and take their shots downfield if they stack up against the run. As long as we don't turn over the ball then I expect the game to be close. The Patriots are without their best pass rusher in Andre Carter and they're not good enough to dominate at the line of scrimmage against our OL and power run game.

orinjkrush
01-12-2012, 06:33 AM
ummm, ok woody, WHERE is that gameplan?

on D bellicheat will try to take away DT (Willis HAS to step up) and keep TT in the pocket with his mush rush. And he will pass at Goodman, Mays, our Safeties and run at Doom.

we HAVE to put pressure up the middle in Brady's face. we have to figure out how to take the Gronk AND Hernandez AND Welker out of the equation. (gulp) i guess the best way is to keep all of them on the bench and run and run and run and run. but this will have to be like a game of tennis and we MUST keep serve (i.e. score TDs not FGs every possession.)

Kid A
01-12-2012, 06:45 AM
ummm, ok woody, WHERE is that gameplan?

He gets into that a few questions down.

Agapeman
01-12-2012, 07:42 AM
I like Woody's take on the game, maybe it's our history with the Pats but I feel better about this game than I did about the Stillers.

rbackfactory80
01-12-2012, 07:53 AM
The best thing we have going for us is the weather. Should be in the teens at kickoff.

Crushaholic
01-12-2012, 09:59 AM
If they have an outstanding game, and the Patriots play awful, the Broncos can win.

Brilliant analysis, Woody...Hilarious!

BroncoBen
01-12-2012, 12:53 PM
If they have an outstanding game, and the Patriots play awful, the Broncos can win.

Brilliant analysis, Woody...Hilarious!

Well the game may come down to turnovers.. The Broncos can't match the Pats 'Hurry Up' score for score. Hopefully the Broncos get a few turnovers and play on a short field like the Pats did the last time they played.

barryr
01-12-2012, 05:58 PM
It isn't that hard to figure out what the Broncos need to do and have happen to win this game:

They need to be able to have balance, run and get some big plays in the passing game like against the Steelers.

Limit mistakes such as turnovers, penalties, missed assignments, missed tackles, and dropped passes.

Get pressure in Brady's face and tackle well, do not let the Pats turn small catches into long ones. Create a couple turnovers and either score a TD with one or put the offense into great position to score a TD at least.

Not much different than to win any playoff game on the road, but being able to control the ball longer than the Pats have it would also be a good thing. Break the timing of the Pat offense is key and either getting a good pass rush or limiting their possessions are the ways to do it.