PDA

View Full Version : Incomplete Pass (Backward Pass)

BoiseBluTurf
01-11-2012, 06:54 PM
I apologize if this has already been pointed out… but… I was just watching the game replay on NFL network and realized something about that infamous play that really jump started the Steelers come back.

Like most of you… I thought it was wise for Fox to leave the red flag in his pocket once he found out there wouldn’t be a change of possession regardless of the fact that it was a lateral because of the whistle and the signal for incomplete… BUT… After re-watching it minus the instant anger factor that he should have challenged.

Let me start by saying that the way I understand the rule is as follows… They can’t give the ball back to Denver but they can re-spot… Assuming that is correct… The line of scrimmage was around the 23… the lateral landed around the 18… If Denver Challenges and the ball is moved back you now have a third and 15 or 16… AND.. it would have been the second time Fox won on a challenge... correct me if I’m wrong… but… after you win two in a row you get a third… right? So… if that’s the case it was a win, win to challenge!

I’m not coming down on Fox here… just found that once I watched with an objective eye instead of a red ass... It was much clearer!

By the way… if I’m wrong about the ball being re-spotted… this whole post is mute! And another perfect example of why I should just lurk and not post!

That is all,

Spider
01-11-2012, 06:59 PM
;D steelers have a history of this , the immaculate reception , for example

BoiseBluTurf
01-11-2012, 07:01 PM
;D steelers have a history of this , the immaculate reception , for example

True... but this is more on the Denver coaching staff than on the Steelers getting a gift.

As to the immaculate reception... I have seen every angel (I'm sure you have seen the same) and to this day I still can't make a determination!

barryr
01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
But it was close enough of a play that I could see them saying not enough evidence to overturn, especially since it would show they blew the whistle too early and missed a call that could have been a difference maker in a playoff game. They usually aren't too eager to admit that.

BoiseBluTurf
01-11-2012, 07:11 PM
But it was close enough of a play that I could see them saying not enough evidence to overturn, especially since it would show they blew the whistle too early and missed a call that could have been a difference maker in a playoff game. They usually aren't too eager to admit that.

I'm not 100 percent on this but I think that they can respot the ball... I also thought the video was pretty clear... he threw it at the 19... the ball hit the ground at the 18. But I hear ya.

maher_tyler
01-11-2012, 07:13 PM

It was definitely a lateral if that is what you mean by what is in bold.

Spider
01-11-2012, 07:18 PM
True... but this is more on the Denver coaching staff than on the Steelers getting a gift.

As to the immaculate reception... I have seen every angel (I'm sure you have seen the same) and to this day I still can't make a determination!

LOL I cant either , but it is ok it screwed the Raiders so to me it was a catch ;D

SimonFletcher73
01-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Should have challenged it at least for the spot. Even if they were going to screw us out of possession. It was a big 5 yards at the time.

barryr
01-11-2012, 07:20 PM
It was definitely a lateral if that is what you mean by what is in bold.

Sure, but I have seen plenty of times where it looked one way on the replay, but the refs kept their call and like I said, it was close enough I think that they would have kept the call since they would be admitting they blew the call by blowing the whistle too soon and could only change the spot of the ball and not give the ball to the Broncos, which should have been the ball in the first place. In a close playoff game, they don't want to admit a mistake like that if they have a way out.

Marshall Dumervil
01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Sure, but I have seen plenty of times where it looked one way on the replay, but the refs kept their call and like I said, it was close enough I think that they would have kept the call since they would be admitting they blew the call by blowing the whistle too soon and could only change the spot of the ball and not give the ball to the Broncos, which should have been the ball in the first place. In a close playoff game, they don't want to admit a mistake like that if they have a way out.

Here's something I don't get, the whistle blew. Isn't this the Ed Hochuli rule? I thought they changed this after the Cutler fiasco. So that even if the whistle blew the call could be reversed? ???

Deuce
01-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Moot, not mute

vancejohnson82
01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
my worry would have been that the refs would have said since the whistle was blown as an incomplete, that the play was dead...you lose the challenge and lose that timeout