PDA

View Full Version : OT TD — Just like they drew it up... at halftime

OCBronco
01-11-2012, 06:06 PM
http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/01/11/ot-touchdown-was-just-like-broncos-drew-it-up-at-halftime/

Great read up on the MaxDenver site. I was surprised to learn that the game winning play was drawn up by McCoy during halftime.

McCoy gets a lot of flack for his play-calling, but you gotta give him some props on this one.

vancejohnson82
01-11-2012, 06:14 PM
bout time he got some credit around here

Archie
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Kind of like the Elway to Smith TD in the SB against the Falcons!! But, to win it all in OT, very sweet!

maher_tyler
01-11-2012, 06:18 PM

If we would throw more on 1st down and changed it up a little bit i wouldn't be so critical of him...we're pretty predictable.

KO5K
01-11-2012, 06:29 PM
The fact he has to draw that play up halfway through a playoff game isn't exactly inspiring.

To me it speaks volumes about his lack of creativity and the predictability of this offense out of certain formations.

Inkana7
01-11-2012, 06:44 PM
The fact he has to draw that play up halfway through a playoff game isn't exactly inspiring.

To me it speaks volumes about his lack of creativity and the predictability of this offense out of certain formations.

He adjusted to what the defense was doing.. is he supposed to hire a soothsayer before games to figure out how they're gonna play us?

Swedish Extrovert
01-11-2012, 06:46 PM

They were running it on first down.... and winning. So McCoy drew up a play that would catch the Steelers off guard when we needed it the most.

McCoy has done a great job this year.

Play2win
01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Bah... McCoy sucks.

vancejohnson82
01-11-2012, 06:51 PM
If we would throw more on 1st down and changed it up a little bit i wouldn't be so critical of him...we're pretty predictable.

I think the criticism to a point is quite warranted....however, he is playing to our strength. It would be like the Saints deciding that they needed to run more, even though its not what they do best

and dont be surprised if we start to incorporate more passing on different downs in the upcoming week....we've played it very tight to the vest since the Vikings game

barryr
01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
As I have mentioned, the Bronco offense could be very complex next year if they go away from so much of the conservative play calling next season. With a full training camp and maybe another weapon or 2, I can imagine the dilemma for defenses wondering about regular run plays, zone read, option, deep balls, screens, reverses, and the intermediate passes, which need the most work IMO. Defenses can't possibly prepare well for everything, so some things will be available in games. So I am interested to see what McCoy, assuming he is back, comes up with next season with more time to do more with this offense.

Butterscotch Stallion
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Im glad it only took 17 games for mccoy to try PA on first down when many people on internet message boards had been asking for it for ten weeks.

he is revolutionary. soon, he will break out a screen. I think he is up to page 65 of football 101 now.

ZONA
01-11-2012, 07:20 PM
He's great or he sucks. One of you two is a complete idiot because he can't be both. Or he might just be somewhere in the middle. Not as good as the one guy thinks and not as bad as the other guy thinks. I'll take somewhere in the middle for $500 Alex.

OCBronco
01-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I also thought this part was interesting:

"Such adaptability has become routine for McCoy, who acknowledged in December that the unique nature of the Broncos’ read-option-heavy run game — and the ensuing inability to gauge anything about a defense’s potential reaction from film review — forced the Broncos to make in-game tactical tweaks."

"“With Tim (Tebow) playing quarterback, they’ve got to defend more than just your traditional offense,” McCoy said. “There’s a lot of things we’re going to do. Going into each week’s game plan, what you see on film the three or four weeks previously is probably not going to be what you see for the entire game.”"

This would seem to explain why they often look so vanilla at the beginning of the game. You run the conservative offense as a kind of trial balloon, see what the defense is going to give you, then make adjustments.

I also thought this was interesting because it seems to be quite different from what NFL offenses usually do: script the first 15 plays, etc.

Popps
01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
McCoy hasn't gotten any crap from me. He's done a brilliant job.

It's been stated before, and it's very simple... people on a football message board base play-calling purely on results. ("Did it work? No. Must have been a bad play-call.)

Meanwhile, we ran just as many times on first down Sunday as we have in past games.

McCoy deserves a medal for switching gears midseason and grinding out an offensive game plan that has allowed Tebow to win games.

errand
01-11-2012, 08:00 PM

Yes...which is exactly why the play worked so well.

Vegas_Bronco
01-11-2012, 08:07 PM
There are some OCs that make it too complex others that go for all technique and positional blocking strategies...I prefer the ones who like to pound down your throat till your sick of it and can't stand it anymore...you just want it to end like 85%a of the teams in the nfl. The playoffs add a win or die mentality to the game and mccoy did a great job disguising this last week. I like the grit and makes the game controllable from the player position (do your job and we win perspective) and turnovers are much more substantial. Nothing more beautiful than a team that has won in the minds of their opponents and tebow along with mccoy have orchestrated this to near perfection against an impressive number of teams this year.

Armchair Bronco
01-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Im glad it only took 17 games for mccoy to try PA on first down when many people on internet message boards had been asking for it for ten weeks.

he is revolutionary. soon, he will break out a screen. I think he is up to page 65 of football 101 now.

Yeah, it only took us running on 22 of 23 first down opportunities against the Steelers to set up the pass in OT.

"OK, guys. Here's the game plan: we're gonna run the damn ball 95.6% of the time on 1st down, OK? We'll do that the entire game, see, and play for Overtime. Then, we'll win the coin toss in OT when Pittsburgh calls "Tails", and then we're gonna bust out our secret play - a pass on 1st down. Who's wit me?"

24 first down plays in the game...22 runs. That's really sad.

KO5K
01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Yes...which is exactly why the play worked so well.

What if the game never went to overtime and the Steelers won it when it looked like they were setting up for the winning field goal?

McCoy doesn't get a pass because of the end result. Running the ball on 21 of 22 first downs is rarely acceptable and considering how pathetic our first down yardage was in that game, it was bad play calling.

The fact that that play out of that formation isn't even in the playbook is pretty worrying. That playbook must be incredibly short, maybe one play per formation which we can then repeat over and over again.

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2012, 09:04 PM
http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/01/11/ot-touchdown-was-just-like-broncos-drew-it-up-at-halftime/

Great read up on the MaxDenver site. I was surprised to learn that the game winning play was drawn up by McCoy during halftime.

McCoy gets a lot of flack for his play-calling, but you gotta give him some props on this one.

he had this play lined up at halftime, but held it back for the entire 2nd half. what the **** was he waiting for? had the defense not come up big at the end this play doesn't even matter because the Steelers would have won in regulation.

McCoy seemingly has a decent grasp on how to coordinate an offense and seems to possibly know how to draw up plays pretty well, but in the words of John Elway "pull the trigger!"

damn the guy needs to call some of these plays. you can draw up the most perfect plays in the world, but if you never call them, who gives a ****.

ScottXray
01-11-2012, 09:09 PM
he had this play lined up at halftime, but held it back for the entire 2nd half. what the **** was he waiting for? had the defense not come up big at the end this play doesn't even matter because the Steelers would have won in regulation.

McCoy seemingly has a decent grasp on how to coordinate an offense and seems to possibly know how to draw up plays pretty well, but in the words of John Elway "pull the trigger!"

damn the guy needs to call some of these plays. you can draw up the most perfect plays in the world, but if you never call them, who gives a ****.

Drawing up the play = good. Waiting til OT to try it = DUMB.

For that matter why the hell didn't they think of it BEFORE the game?

The fact that this is being brought up as a positive point for McCoy is very worrisome. Honestly?

Play2win
01-11-2012, 09:15 PM

It's been stated before, and it's very simple... people on a football message board base play-calling purely on results. ("Did it work? No. Must have been a bad play-call.)

Meanwhile, we ran just as many times on first down Sunday as we have in past games.

McCoy deserves a medal for switching gears midseason and grinding out an offensive game plan that has allowed Tebow to win games.

Seems to me, McCoy has played a masterful chess game so far. :thumbsup:

mwill07
01-11-2012, 09:22 PM
how about the bootleg that Fells took vertical when 43 recognized it? According to Profootballfocus.com,

Sometimes true genius in terms of play design is in being able to take a play that is already an NFL staple because it usually works, and tweaking it ever so slightly so that it exploits the fact that defenses are used to recognizing and defending it. This is one such example, and easily ranks as one of my favorites of the season for the subtlety of its design.

link (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/11/analysis-notebook-wild-card-round/)

Jetmeck
01-11-2012, 11:25 PM
They were running it on first down.... and winning. So McCoy drew up a play that would catch the Steelers off guard when we needed it the most.

No they weren't winning anything on first down running plays and McCoy's play calling has sucked most of the year !

broncocalijohn
01-11-2012, 11:59 PM

'Bout time he actually did a play action pass on 1st down.

broncocalijohn
01-12-2012, 12:04 AM

I would expect this comment from Popps. Nothing is ever wrong with Broncos' coaching staffs....eva!

Funny he gets credit for this play as he drew it up in the locker room at halftime while we were yelling for it on the message board all game....for the last 12 weeks! We almost didnt get to see OT because of his first down plays is what almost killed us. I dont hate the guy but there are times where he deserves the criticism we post about at the Mane.

cutthemdown
01-12-2012, 03:00 AM

It could have been as simple as changing the depth they run a crossing pattern. Im sure it wasn't some totally new design but more a tweak. The Broncos fans around here crack me up. You all think you know soooo much about football. These coaches forget more football then you know.

Broncbow
01-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Yeah, it only took us running on 22 of 23 first down opportunities against the Steelers to set up the pass in OT.

"OK, guys. Here's the game plan: we're gonna run the damn ball 95.6% of the time on 1st down, OK? We'll do that the entire game, see, and play for Overtime. Then, we'll win the coin toss in OT when Pittsburgh calls "Tails", and then we're gonna bust out our secret play - a pass on 1st down. Who's wit me?"

24 first down plays in the game...22 runs. That's really sad.

Add that to the two passing attempts per quarter in half the game, and being 0-3 prior to the play-offs makes comeplete sense.

jmz313
01-12-2012, 05:43 AM
I'm sure McCoy and the coaches draw up tons of plays before and during the game... Like Popps said, you can't base play calling only on results. Execution by players on both sides of the ball has to be accounted for. The Steelers game was the Best called game of the season offensively... Maybe everything is just progressing in Denver?

1-0 in the Playoffs. The 2011 Broncos are already a Success. Calling the right play at the right time, OT or not, is the reason.

BroncoBeavis
01-12-2012, 06:09 AM

Yeah on all those 3rd and 8's and 9's and 12's, McCoy had the Steelers right where he wanted 'em.

Fact is, if Tebow doesn't start connecting on improbable long-shot bombs- we lose that game.

go_broncos
01-12-2012, 06:54 AM
I am glad that our OC finally realized that passing on first down is legal in NFL.

Kaylore
01-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Love all the resentment for McCoy. He coaches a brilliant game, the players execute and everyone's still suspicious of him.

BroncoBeavis
01-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Love all the resentment for McCoy. He coaches a brilliant game, the players execute and everyone's still suspicious of him.

10 3rd down plays. Average ytg was 8.2. Yes, 8.2.

If Tebow misses even one of those 3rd and long bombs to make up mostly for very lackluster 1st down performance... we lose and all the "McCoy's a genius" guys instantly turn and start blaming Tebow for low completion percentage for why we lost the game.

No QB's completion percentage looks good on 3rd and long. Calling a gameplan that constantly puts him there (by NEVER passing on 1st down) is not a winning gameplan. We're lucky this week that Tebow overcame it.

BroncoBeavis
01-12-2012, 07:25 AM
I am glad that our OC finally realized that passing on first down is legal in NFL.

"Guys, it's getting late. I think the refs may be getting tired because they missed that 'illegal pass on 1st' call against Ben on that last drive.

I'm still not 100 percent sure, but it's OT in a playoff game now and I say, why not give it a rip.

If the refs throw the flag just say 'Sorry, Jim, we thought it was like 3rd and 17 again" If they don't throw a flag just make sure not to make eye contact. Timmy's the worst liar I've ever met!"

dsmoot
01-12-2012, 07:26 AM

It is truly amazing how many 30,000 foot offensive football gurus we have on this site. Halftime has always been a perfect time to make adjustments away from the flow of game where two way communication can be clearly be understood by all parties involved. You have no clue what goes on during the game, at halftime, during the week game planning but you sure have a great opinion about a coaches ability to adjust looking at your flat screen.

With all the criticism that has gone on this year around this team, you have to give Fox credit for not blowing a gasket. It sure makes the blowups like Ditka, Mora, Denny Green etc more understandable.

There has been way too much criticism of players, coaching, front office and even the training staff by people who are lucky enough to find their way out of their house each morning. Much less provide input about a subject that they are unqualified themselves to even comment intelligently about. You know what they say about opinions, everyone has one ......

Smiling Assassin27
01-12-2012, 07:35 AM

This is silly. You can't draw some things up until you see what kind of look the other guys are showing and how often. Just because they show it once doesn't mean they'll show it again, nor does it mean that the situation is right to run the play. To me, it's VERY inspiring that they installed a play based on adjustments that took advantage of what the defense was doing. That tells me the guy is getting more comfortable with what his personnel can do, which means he has more to choose from going forward. The basic idea behind that play wasn't new, I'm sure so making personnel specific adjustments and pulling it out at the right time are absolutely things he should get credit for.

jhns
01-12-2012, 07:43 AM
10 3rd down plays. Average ytg was 8.2. Yes, 8.2.

If Tebow misses even one of those 3rd and long bombs to make up mostly for very lackluster 1st down performance... we lose and all the "McCoy's a genius" guys instantly turn and start blaming Tebow for low completion percentage for why we lost the game.

No QB's completion percentage looks good on 3rd and long. Calling a gameplan that constantly puts him there (by NEVER passing on 1st down) is not a winning gameplan. We're lucky this week that Tebow overcame it.

What is funny is Tebow actually has done better on third and 11+ than he has done on third and short. This is just better completion percentage though.

BroncoBeavis
01-12-2012, 07:43 AM
This is silly. You can't draw some things up until you see what kind of look the other guys are showing and how often. Just because they show it once doesn't mean they'll show it again, nor does it mean that the situation is right to run the play. To me, it's VERY inspiring that they installed a play based on adjustments that took advantage of what the defense was doing. That tells me the guy is getting more comfortable with what his personnel can do, which means he has more to choose from going forward. The basic idea behind that play wasn't new, I'm sure so making personnel specific adjustments and pulling it out at the right time are absolutely things he should get credit for.

Are you telling me McCoy needs to flip through overheads, x's and o's it out, then deliberate on it for 2 quarters (while we blow a 14 point lead) in order to arrive at the conclusion that a slant on 1st down into single man coverage, might be a good idea?

Those are the adjustments most OC's make EVERY SERIES. Most QB's would be told to audible to something like that if they saw the Steelers playing that way. You can say McCoy deserves credit for finally making a competent play call. But that play was there most of the game. And using it earlier would've meant forcing the Steelers to play the run more honestly.

BroncoBeavis
01-12-2012, 07:47 AM
What is funny is Tebow actually has done better on third and 11+ than he has done on third and short. This is just better completion percentage though.

Might just get Timmy in the right mindset where he knows he has to make a decision down field so he lets it fly.

But nonetheless, those situations are never a good thing. And if running on 20 of 21 1st downs gets you into those situations... that's on the playcalling.

If you're not routinely getting 3-4 yards on 1st down, you'd better do something different.

CarneAsadaFries
01-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Here's the thing. Mike McCoy is completely playing to the strengths of our team. It would be foolish to consider that the strongest part of our team is our passing game. We are still running route trees that are easy for Tebow to read, because the fact is that he's still learning to read defenses. The number one thing that I think everyone sees is that Tebow is hesitant on his throws, and he's hesitant because he's not positive a receiver is going to be open on his break.

Knowing this McCoy is focusing on the running game. Now I know that people are complaining about 21 for 22, running on first down. But what people fail to realize is that not every run is the same.

We have, bar none the most complex running game in the entire NFL. We utilize packages of Tackles and Tight Ends like no other team in the NFL. We'll put our starting tackles on one side of the formation. We'll add in an extra 6th and sometimes 7th lineman. We use a complement of 2 - 3 tight ends in various running and occassional passing formations. Each run is an entirely different set up. Not all runs are equal. Even with 8 or 9 in the box, that doesnt necessarily mean that the run designed by our offensive staff will not work.

A perfect example would be Maurice Jones Drew in Jacksonville. Through good gameplanning and an effective offensive line, MJD led the league in rushing. And this is in spite of EVERYONE knows that he was their ONLY offensive threat.

It's like putting 7 or 8 in coverage against Drew Brees. Just because there are more defensive backs in coverage, doesn't mean that the defense is going to work. Its a chess game. And you can play chess with running the ball just as well as passing the ball. Receivers are outnumbered often in the passing game, yet the strategy of opposing offenses versus defenses and execution is what allows plays to succeed or fail.

Frankly, the game planning and play calling has been fantastic because it plays to the strengths of the team week in and week out. It's even more remarkable considering the entire system was installed mid-season and has been further developed week to week as the offense continues to develop and grow, and the coaching staff learns the strengths of it's players better.

The amount of thought that goes into a single running play to combat a Pittsburgh Steelers defense that could be running any number of looks (even out of 8 in the box), with any number of stunts, blitz and zone combinations, is incredible.

Honestly, people need to take a step back and actually appreciate the running game for what it is, because its tops in the NFL for a reason, because its complexity (even throwing out the option plays), is unmatched. The coaching staff is putting Tebow in a position to be able to make the big plays and still play to the team's strengths.

Yes, once we start passing more, our offense will be more formidable. But that is a combination of both playcalling, and EXECUTION. 22 throws is an acceptable number for throws per game, and you have no clue into exactly how the game plan was formulated and to what service each particular run serves. If our gameplan is to be 70% runs because of our passing game deficiencies, we set up runs to set up different runs. Similar to running to set up the pass. If we dont run to set up different runs, then we dont utilize our offense to its fullest potential

mwill07
01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Here's the thing. Mike McCoy is completely playing to the strengths of our team. It would be foolish to consider that the strongest part of our team is our passing game. We are still running route trees that are easy for Tebow to read, because the fact is that he's still learning to read defenses. The number one thing that I think everyone sees is that Tebow is hesitant on his throws, and he's hesitant because he's not positive a receiver is going to be open on his break.

Knowing this McCoy is focusing on the running game. Now I know that people are complaining about 21 for 22, running on first down. But what people fail to realize is that not every run is the same.

We have, bar none the most complex running game in the entire NFL. We utilize packages of Tackles and Tight Ends like no other team in the NFL. We'll put our starting tackles on one side of the formation. We'll add in an extra 6th and sometimes 7th lineman. We use a complement of 2 - 3 tight ends in various running and occassional passing formations. Each run is an entirely different set up. Not all runs are equal. Even with 8 or 9 in the box, that doesnt necessarily mean that the run designed by our offensive staff will not work.

A perfect example would be Maurice Jones Drew in Jacksonville. Through good gameplanning and an effective offensive line, MJD led the league in rushing. And this is in spite of EVERYONE knows that he was their ONLY offensive threat.

It's like putting 7 or 8 in coverage against Drew Brees. Just because there are more defensive backs in coverage, doesn't mean that the defense is going to work. Its a chess game. And you can play chess with running the ball just as well as passing the ball. Receivers are outnumbered often in the passing game, yet the strategy of opposing offenses versus defenses and execution is what allows plays to succeed or fail.

Frankly, the game planning and play calling has been fantastic because it plays to the strengths of the team week in and week out. It's even more remarkable considering the entire system was installed mid-season and has been further developed week to week as the offense continues to develop and grow, and the coaching staff learns the strengths of it's players better.

The amount of thought that goes into a single running play to combat a Pittsburgh Steelers defense that could be running any number of looks (even out of 8 in the box), with any number of stunts, blitz and zone combinations, is incredible.

Honestly, people need to take a step back and actually appreciate the running game for what it is, because its tops in the NFL for a reason, because its complexity (even throwing out the option plays), is unmatched. The coaching staff is putting Tebow in a position to be able to make the big plays and still play to the team's strengths.

Yes, once we start passing more, our offense will be more formidable. But that is a combination of both playcalling, and EXECUTION. 22 throws is an acceptable number for throws per game, and you have no clue into exactly how the game plan was formulated and to what service each particular run serves. If our gameplan is to be 70% runs because of our passing game deficiencies, we set up runs to set up different runs. Similar to running to set up the pass. If we dont run to set up different runs, then we dont utilize our offense to its fullest potential
But this would not sabotage Tebow's career!

[/broncbow]

Seriouly though, good post.

ColoradoDarin
01-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Just as I give a pass to Tebow for a lot of things because of the lockout and Orton getting most TC reps and the first 5 starts, I also give McCoy a pass this year because he's had to implement this offense since week 5 with those same limitations.

I have reservations about McCoy, but we were the 2nd worst team last year and this is a rebuilding year and we already have a playoff win - I'm on cloud 9 this post season. It was a great call and great execution.

Kaylore
01-12-2012, 12:12 PM
It's also important that offensive coordinators create game plans based on how the defense that week attacks their plays or what they do. No other teams run the read-option or really play anything like we do so the necessitates a vanilla plan until we see what they're doing.

BroncoBeavis
01-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I could buy what you were saying, Carne, if we were talking about overall run/pass balance.

There are certain games where 22 passing attempts is enough, depending on the pace of the game. I'd much rather see it in the high 20's than the low, but whatever. In this game they were ahead and probably trying to grind clock.

But we're not talking about overall balance here. We're talking about complete predictability depending on situation. You can say the Jags ran a lot (because of MJD) and Gabbert didn't throw a lot (although he threw quite a bit more than Tebow) and that's all well and good.

But can you show me someone who runs on 1st down 90% of the time and then 'balances' that by throwing on 3rd down 70% of the time? The overall balance on paper doesn't look bad. But in the real world the result is the worst of both worlds. The biggest benefit of balance is the defense not knowing whether you're going to run it out of the backfield or throw it over their heads.

We have this 'scheme' where defenses know what we're going to do 75% of the time. To the detriment of both our running and passing games. And there's no good reason for it.

Play2win
01-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Just as a lot of defenses don't have any film on Tebow, our Offense doesn't have a lot of film on how defenses play Tebow.

bendog
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
McCoy's the worst OC in the league, he's actually caused Tim to regress from the QB Meyer built, and if not for his and Fox's uber conservative, neaderthal philosopy, Tim would have reinvented the position. Really. It's the written Truth.

bronco militia
01-12-2012, 12:48 PM
throw deep over the middle when the safeties blitz?? HE'S A ****ING GENIUS!!!!!!!!!

Hilarious!

BroncoBeavis
01-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Just as a lot of defenses don't have any film on Tebow, our Offense doesn't have a lot of film on how defenses play Tebow.

That's fine. Not saying we should be conventional or anything. But can anyone show me an example in say the last 20 years of NFL history where a team ran the ball 20 out of 21 times on 1st down during a game?

Does every other coach in the NFL not know what they're doing?

And this isn't the first time we've done this. We've been doing it for weeks. Pretty sure they have that on film.

bendog
01-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Fox, “Tim, we want to talk to you about the New England game.”

Tim, “Sure Coach, but can we pray first?”

Fox, “Ahhhh, sure.”

McCoy, “Oh ****, not again.”

Fox, “Mike, let the kid pray for Christ’s sake.”

Tim, “Join hands.”

Fox’s chin sinks to his chest.

Tim, “That’s great Coach, you’re really getting the hang of this.”

McCoy grinds teeth and swallows.

“Lord we just want to thank you for this opportunity to prepare to play the New England .....”
Fox, “Ok, that’s enough.”

McCoy, “Tim, you were a great sport letting us make your throws suck for those three weeks, Tomlin and LeBeau never saw that coming.”

Fox chuckles. “Like lambs to the slaughter.... Oh, sorry, Tim.”

Tim, “That’s OK coach, I’m shielded with the Blood of my Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.”

McCoy, “Focus, Tim. Try to focus.”

Tim, “Yes, Coach Mike.”

McCoy, “Look, we really have no clue about how Billicheat is going play defense.”

Fox, “No clue whatsoever.”

Tim, “Well, I could roll left and just sorta see what happens.”

McCoy and Fox, “NO! Don’t even think that!”

Tim, “What are we gonna do, then?”

McCoy, “OK, look at these diagrams I drew up.”

Tim, “I’m dyslexic, Coach Mike.”

McCoy grimaces. “They’re color coded, Tim.”

Tim, “Oh, right, they sure are.”

McCoy, “See, the purple O is you.”

Tim, “Is that because liturgically speaking Purple represents pain and penitence?”

Fox, “From the mouths of babes......

McCoy grinds teeth, “Yes.... Now, the blue O is McGahee or whoevever is the tailback.”

Tim, “Ok. Liturgically speaking, blue.....”

Fox, “Not now, Tim.”

McCoy, “Now look at this page. It shows you and McGahee and the offensive line.”

Tim, “I see that, Coach Mike.”

McCoy, “Ok, now look at these three pages. Each one shows the same offense, but they also show how New England could line up.

Tim, “Uh huh.”

McCoy, “Now the first one shows the two safeties playing five yards in back of the Mike and the linebacker over the tight end.”

Tim, “Ummmmmmm.”

McCoy, “The safeties are the two red X’s.”

Tim, “Got it.”

McCoy, “Now, in this diagram, one of the linebackers is up on the line, five yards wide of Clady. It’s the Green X.”

Tim, “OK.”

McCoy, “Ok, here’s the important part. If BOTH safeties are back, and there’s a linebacker in the hole, give McGahee the ball.”

Tim, “What will Willis do, Coach Mike?”

McCoy, “Don’t worry about that part. But if there’s no one where the Green X guy is, run the ball that way.”

Tim, “I get to run?”

Fox, “If there’s really a God, Tim.”

Tim, “Oh there IS.”

McCoy, “Praise Jesus, we could go another week.”

Tim jumps up and raises his hands towards the ceiling, “Praise Jesus!”

McCoy, “Now Tim, here’s the hard part.”

Tim, “wow. It gets harder? You guys are really trusting me with a lot.”

Fox grinds his teeth, and pats his pockets for the cigarettes he gave up when Reagan was President.”

McCoy, “Remember last weeks’ color pictures?”

Tim, “I think so.”

McCoy, “Good. The ones where the little red X’s were all mixed in with the linebackers.”

Tim, “Oh yeah.”

McCoy, “That’s when you pass.”

Fox crosses himself and pulls out a string with a clove of garlic pinned to it and puts it around his neck.

Tim, “Can I go run ten miles now?”

McCoy, “Sure, Tim. Have fun.”

Fox, “Don’t forget your cell phone in case you get lost again.”

teknic
01-12-2012, 02:04 PM

This.

When the running game is working, and consistently getting 3+ yards on first down, I have no problem with McCoy sticking with what's most effective. Running the ball is the strength of this offense, and is the only way to effectively manage the clock.

I'm sick of people complaining about the playcalling when we run up the middle on a third and 1 and don't get the first. A run up the middle for one yard is a high percentage play, and more safe than a pass, especially with Tebow at QB. If the offense doesn't pick up that yard, then the problem is execution, not the call. I mentioned this exact thing a couple months ago, that although the individual play calls haven't been perfect, McCoy is calling an effective overall gameplan, and a lot of the problems come down to execution.

I'm glad to see more play action passes on first and second down, but I don't want to pass just for the sake of passing. If the run is working, stick with it.

BroncoBeavis
01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
This.

I'm sick of people complaining about the playcalling when we run up the middle on a third and 1 and don't get the first.

Me too, when did it happen?

QB draw on 3rd and 7, maybe.

Run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run on 1st down? Definitely.

bronco militia
01-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Me too, when did it happen?

QB draw on 3rd and 7, maybe.

Run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run and run on 1st down? Definitely.

LOLLOLLOL