PDA

View Full Version : ILB Dan Connor (Carolina Free Agent)

Taco John
01-11-2012, 10:49 AM
LB Connor will test market for 2012

By Joseph Person

Posted: Thursday, Dec. 29, 2011

Panthers middle linebacker Dan Connor has started 18 games the past two years and ranks third on the team this season with 81 tackles.

But with Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason expected to return from Achilles surgery next season, Connor isn't sure whether he'll be back with the Panthers. Connor, who will be an unrestricted free agent for the first time, plans to see if there is a team interested in him as a full-time starter.

"That would be a different situation. Here, I was behind Jon from Day One," said Connor, a third-round pick in 2008. "It'll be interesting to see how it plays out and maybe getting into a situation where they want me to be the guy. I'm kind of excited about it. It's exciting to see how it shakes out.

"Obviously, I'd love to stay here. I like it here and I think this team's going to be really good next year. It's something I want to be a part of."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/12/29/2882647/lb-connor-will-test-market-for.html

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pm3fQwkx10A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taco John
01-11-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm not saying this guy is necessarily my pick - but what I am saying is that I believe he would be an upgrade at MLB, and John Fox is familiar with the guy and what he can do. I would be surprised if he doesn't get a look this offseason.

Smiling Assassin27
01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
I'd spend a little extra money and get d'qwell jackson.

Taco John
01-11-2012, 10:59 AM

I love that idea, but I have my doubts that we're going to spend that kind of money.

Kaylore
01-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Yeah. I appreciate what Mays has done, but he really shouldn't be starting. We need a more versatile player.

razorwire77
01-11-2012, 11:10 AM
A lot of it is going to depend on Irving's development. It would be nice if he grabs the starting MLB spot next season, Mays sticks around as a goaline backer and the team can address other needs via the draft and FA (like RB, DT, CB # 2, SS and WR depth). If not, Connor would be a decent and relatively affordable option.

Jekyll15Hyde
01-11-2012, 11:11 AM

I would LOVE this... Jackson is one bad mofo :strong:

oubronco
01-11-2012, 11:12 AM
I would rather have Curtis Lofton

Ratboy
01-11-2012, 11:14 AM
I would take any upgrade available.

Mays is awful.

ColoradoBuff
01-11-2012, 11:23 AM
let's see what Iriving can do first...but I would for sure bring in a veteran MLB.

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
OMG DANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNY

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 11:29 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P3ALwKeSEYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Killericon
01-11-2012, 11:31 AM
When we passed on Connor, I might've cried.

This would be stellar.

DenverBroncosJM
01-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Jackson or Conner is an immediate and great upgrade. It would allow us to go DT and RB in first and second. (Or CB if we so choose not going to have a lot of ammo sitting at 32..)

houghtam
01-11-2012, 12:16 PM
If he can get on the field and stay there. I'm not sure I'd be sold on him even being on the field, considering he's had 19 starts in 4 years.

gyldenlove
01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
I prefer Connor over Jackson - Connor is a true 4-3 MLB, Jackson is much more of a 3-4 ILB.

Ray Finkle
01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
is Connor injury prone?

Archer81
01-11-2012, 12:41 PM
is Connor injury prone?

I dont think he is. He plays behind Jon Beason.

:Broncos:

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
I would rather have Curtis Lofton

i'd piss my pants if we made that happen, it would be so awesome.

fontaine
01-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I'd rather spend the money on Cliff Avril for the DL who's a young terror at DE.

Smiling Assassin27
01-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Isn't Hawthorne from Seattle also a UFA?

Taco John
01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
OMG DANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNY

I should have known you'd like this pick... lol

Agamemnon
01-11-2012, 02:18 PM
If we don't address MLB in the draft, this would be a solid Bunkley-type move to improve a major position of need. We'd go from having a D+ MLB to a C+ MLB, and I could live with that if we draft other positions like CB and RB early.

Popps
01-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Taco, start some draft threads if you really want to run this mojo-angle. Try a "post your 1st round mock" thread.

Ray Finkle
01-11-2012, 02:36 PM
I dont think he is. He plays behind Jon Beason.

:Broncos:

He's played 4 seasons and been on IR for 2 of them....

Aftermath
01-11-2012, 05:35 PM
I was a huge fan of him in college, was hoping we would have drafted him.

cutthemdown
01-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Jackson or Conner is an immediate and great upgrade. It would allow us to go DT and RB in first and second. (Or CB if we so choose not going to have a lot of ammo sitting at 32..)

Bunkley, Vickerson coming back, don't be surprised if Broncos dont go DT early in draft once again.

gyldenlove
01-11-2012, 07:44 PM
Bunkley, Vickerson coming back, don't be surprised if Broncos dont go DT early in draft once again.

I would say MLB, CB and RB are the most likely picks in round 1 and 2.

ZONA
01-11-2012, 10:53 PM

I would bet money the Broncos take an ILB before round 3 starts, absolutely for sure, unless they add a great ILB in FA. We gotta get an absolute stud at MLB. Right now, IMO, that is the weakest link in the defense (injuries aside). Mays is solid for backup duty in a pinch but he's definitely not starting material. Hagan is about the same. I'm not convinced on Irving at all and I don't think a smart GM would result to "hoping" he turns out. Keep him on the team another year on ST's and let him compete. If he gets better, awesome, you lose Hagan or Mays and you go from there.

Everybody can talk about adding a RB, or a CB, TE, Safety another OL but we absolutely have to address ILB and right NOW.

cutthemdown
01-11-2012, 10:56 PM

Not a bad guess. CB for sure because you really look for those super fast guys who seem to be able to play, not a lot of them in the draft. You just never know because FA comes first. Broncos have Woodyard, Mays both FA. I'd like to see Woodyard stay. My point being that if the Broncos think they want to upgrade the WSL spot by letting Woodyard split, we could even see them draft an outside LB to take over for DJ in a couple yrs and add depth behind him.

cutthemdown
01-11-2012, 10:58 PM
I would bet money the Broncos take an ILB before round 3 starts, absolutely for sure, unless they add a great ILB in FA. We gotta get an absolute stud at MLB. Right now, IMO, that is the weakest link in the defense (injuries aside). Mays is solid for backup duty in a pinch but he's definitely not starting material. Hagan is about the same. I'm not convinced on Irving at all and I don't think a smart GM would result to "hoping" he turns out. Keep him on the team another year on ST's and let him compete. If he gets better, awesome, you lose Hagan or Mays and you go from there.

Everybody can talk about adding a RB, or a CB, TE, Safety another OL but we absolutely have to address ILB and right NOW.

With Woodyard a FA and nothing else behind DJ we could take outside and inside linebacker in the draft or FA. I'd like to see him stay but you never know. He may want to start and DJ had his best yr in a long time.

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Poz
Cameron Wake
Sean Lee
Tamba Hali

Can't miss with a PSU linebacker :)

Baba Booey
01-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Connor would come pretty cheap and would allow us to spend high draft picks on greater needs.

theAPAOps5
01-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Why are we looking at FAs like the season is over? Come on, we are better than that. Besides we have plenty of time to talk this after the Superbow and end of our season :)

ol#7
01-12-2012, 03:16 AM
Why are we looking at FAs like the season is over? Come on, we are better than that. Besides we have plenty of time to talk this after the Superbow and end of our season :)

True, but even SB champions can get better.

I don't have alot of confidence in Irvin, would like to see us address the MLB spot, we also have to find another Safety to replace Dawk and a corner for Goodman, or 2 if Champ is about ready to move to Safety. Either way we need two DB's coming from somewhere. I dont think a healthy Squid is an every down player, nor is Harris.

extralife
01-12-2012, 03:40 AM
With Woodyard a FA and nothing else behind DJ we could take outside and inside linebacker in the draft or FA. I'd like to see him stay but you never know. He may want to start and DJ had his best yr in a long time.

we have to keep woodyard. he's on the field too much to just let walk, especially given the amount of money we have to spend. sure, he might leave if some other team decides to name him a starter, but he basically plays starter snaps for us anyway.

fontaine
01-12-2012, 04:53 AM
No thanks, Connor is a limited player.

Nate Irving has far more potential and he should be developed.