PDA

View Full Version : SS Tyvon Branch (Oakland Free Agent)

Taco John
01-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Here's my FA pick for replacing Dawkins at SS.

Tyvon Branch is a very solid Safety who is solid in run support - is a bit of a liability in man coverage (similar to Dawkins).

Here is a scouting report on him coming out of the draft:

Tyvon Branch Scouting Report

Written by Rob Tribbett
Apr 09, 2008 at 10:55 PM
UConn CB Tyvon Branch Scouting Report
Height: 5-11, Weight: 204, 40 Yard Dash: 4.31

Strengths: Solid NFL ready frame with great bulk for a corner...elite long speed…excellent special teams player…hard working player…team leader who can make on the field calls…naturally strong…willing in run support…

Weaknesses: Some off the field concern after an arrest at UConn…lacks quick twitch agility to consistently cover speedy WRs…upright in backpedal…academic concerns at UConn…stiff through the hips…maybe a bit of a tweener…ball skills are simply average…does not always play up to his triangle numbers…

Overall: Branch jumped on the radar of many after a strong combine performance. He has terrific natural speed numbers including a high school national championship. However he lacks the fluidity you desire in a man corner and probably projects best to a zone scheme despite his speed. He may be a fit at safety rather than corner. There is a great chance for Branch to go to high in the draft as he simply does not play up to his workout numbers.

http://warroomreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=244&Itemid=1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/57cH1mFDHjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ColoradoBuff
01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
no thanks....pass on Branch!

bpc
01-11-2012, 09:47 AM
I feel like we'be devoted a lot of resources to the safety position.

We need some speed on offense at wr and hb. We need a better option at TE. Depth is always a concern. Up the middle of our front seven we are weak. Need to strengthen.

RhymesayersDU
01-11-2012, 09:52 AM

We need some speed on offense at wr and hb. We need a better option at TE. Depth is always a concern. Up the middle of our front seven we are weak. Need to strengthen.

Matt Millen, is that you?

Taco John
01-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I would personally prefer that we draft a top safety in the first two rounds, but right now I'm more focused on Free Agents than draftees.

BroncoInferno
01-11-2012, 09:53 AM
We drafted two safeties last year. I don't think it's wise to go out and sign a guy every time you ostensibly have a hole. We need to give the guys we drafted a chance to develope. Carter has had some good moments. Moore has been a disappointment, but it's too early to throw in the towel. I don't think he's a sunk cost yet.If Dawkins retires or can't return, I'd prefer we draft another guy in the mid-rounds or sign a lower profile vet to replace his roster spot. You've got to give your draft picks more than a year. I suspect that's the approach EFX will take.

Popps
01-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Ban OP.

SleepingTiger
01-11-2012, 10:32 AM
I would personally prefer that we draft a top safety in the first two rounds, but right now I'm more focused on Free Agents than draftees.

didn't we do that last year? give Moore time to develop. I would prefer we use the first 2 picks on MLB and DT. We got killed again in the run game against the Steelers and a back up RB.

BroncoBeavis
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM

Without Dawk, I think we want to find a vet safety somewhere. Here's to hoping Dawk can make it another year or two until it's time for Champ to move over.

bowtown
01-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Taco, I'm not sure about this whole Free Agent Mojo thing.

Maybe we can have some boobs to counter act?

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2012, 11:53 AM

we need a veteran guy back there to lead our young guys. Moore is obviously not ready to step up and take the spot. Bruton has done an ok job playing, Bush is an out of nowhere guy who has looked decent. Carter has begun to come into his own, but that is a very young group with no one to lead them.

ScottXray
01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Without Dawk, I think we want to find a vet safety somewhere. Here's to hoping Dawk can make it another year or two until it's time for Champ to move over.

If Dawk can't go this week or the rest of the way this year I think we need to assume that, even if he comes back next year, he will only be available for a short while until he goes down again. And if the neck issue might be a dangerous one for his health he is likely done. Age and hits have caught up with him. With Moore not panning out ( likely) a strong FA veteran will be a good move. If we can find a better MLB than Mays in FA also that will help solidify the defense. We should look at drafting CB, DT, OG/OT, and probably WR ( since Lloyd/Gaffney are gone), then QB ( to backup Tebow and Weber) as Champ probably only goes one more year before a move to safety for 2-3 more years. And since we will be possibly drafting at 32 but no lower than 25, we might consider moving down for more picks.

We still have holes to fill on this team, and we aren't getting any younger. The division is getting more competitive and we play a first place schedule next year. SD is still the most talented team, but KC and Oakland are both improving ( Oakland coaching change will possibly set them back again, and KC needs to find a offense but is pretty good on D). We must make the changes needed to take another step up,and that means better D and more offensive weapons. The rule of the NFL is stand pat and die., fall back.

Lestat
01-11-2012, 12:37 PM
so we want to bring in a S from the most undisciplined team in the NFL? hmm, that can only end well.

Taco John
01-11-2012, 12:38 PM
didn't we do that last year? give Moore time to develop. I would prefer we use the first 2 picks on MLB and DT. We got killed again in the run game against the Steelers and a back up RB.

Two things:

1) I'm looking for someone to compete with Bruton as a replacement for Dawkins, not replace Moore. (addressing the SS position, not the FS)
2) Quinton Carter is probably going to keep Moore from seeing the light of day at the FS position.