PDA

View Full Version : CB Cortland Finnegan (Titans CB Free Agent)

Taco John
01-11-2012, 10:09 AM
CB Cortland Finnegan Says He Likely Won’t Be Back in 2012

Though the Titans remain alive in the AFC playoff hunt, cornerback Cortland Finnegan believes that next week could be his final home game as a member of the team, Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean reports.

“The last home game (next week) is going to be emotional for me because that could very well be the last time I put on a powder blue uniform,” Finnegan said. “It is finally starting to hit home that this is a business.”

Finnegan, who turns in 28 in February, is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in March after his current three-year, $15.4 million extension from 2008 expires.

A 2006 seventh-round pick out of Samford, Finnegan became a full-time starter in 2007 and received his multi-year extension during the training camp before a 2008 season where he picked off five passes, returning one 99 yards for a touchdown, and went to the Pro Bowl. Finnegan had another five interceptions in 2009 and three interceptions and 19 passes defensed in 29 games over the 2010-11 seasons.

http://www.titansgab.com/2011/12/16/cb-cortland-finnegan-says-he-likely-wont-be-back-in-2012/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iBcIXGohj04" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taco John
01-11-2012, 10:11 AM
I'd like to see us go after this guy. I love his attitude on the field, his agressiveness, his ability to play the run, and most of all his willingness to make a hit. He's known for his agressiveness, for sure. Some would even say he's "dirty." I think I could live with that.

I think he'd fit right in with our scrappy bunch and make things happen.

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 10:13 AM
And he wants to fight Orton so that's a plus.

TonyR
I'd like to see us go after this guy. I love his attitude on the field, his agressiveness, his ability to play the run, and most of all his willingness to make a hit.

He's a complete pr*ck, but much like Bill Romanowski (just to name one example) we'd love him because he'd be our pr*ck. At the end of the day it's the jersey that's most important. I'd be all for it!

The Joker
Didn't he have that unbelievably cheap shot on Kuper a few years back?

Borks147
01-11-2012, 10:14 AM
He's a douche, not a prick.

Taco John
01-11-2012, 10:15 AM
He's a complete pr*ck, but much like Bill Romanowski (just to name one example) we'd love him because he'd be our pr*ck. At the end of the day it's the jersey that's most important. I'd be all for it!

Amen.

I'm so excited for Broncos football. In a sense, I don't even care about what happens this Saturday, I can't remember going into an offseason THIS excited about the Broncos it's been so long that there's been this kind of excitement.

I'll be disappointed if we lose this week, but the feeling of optimism for the future and excitement over what we do this offseason will drown out any disappointment. This is awesome.

Taco John
01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Didn't he have that unbelievably cheap shot on Kuper a few years back?

Yeah, that was Finnegan:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5663525

I'm certainly not saying Finnegan is a choir boy.

vancejohnson82
01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
although I hate this guy (or at least playing against him) I wouldn't mind seeing him in orange next year, locking down the corner opposite of CHamp

plus, Tebow will make him a better person

Taco John
01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
although I hate this guy (or at least playing against him) I wouldn't mind seeing him in orange next year, locking down the corner opposite of CHamp

The thing I love about Finnegan is that he plays with his emotions the same way a guy like Tebow and Dawkins do. I think he could be a real asset for the style of football we play.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-11-2012, 10:19 AM
I'd seen a few pieces about Finnegan growing up and becoming a good leader this past season. These guys can change a grow up for whatever reason (kids, money, family, responsibilities in the locker room) and I'd have no problem with giving him a shot in Denver.

razorwire77
01-11-2012, 10:21 AM
The guy plays aggressively and is a decent CB, but I'd prefer that the team drafts a CB high in the draft.

Garcia Bronco
01-11-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't want that ****bag anywhere near our team. He plays with no honor.

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-11-2012, 10:22 AM
http://www.nashvilleledger.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=56652

Armchair Bronco
01-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't like the guy at all. He's a cheap shot artist.

He reminds me of Dale "Cancer" Carter, albeit without all the illegal drug use baggage that Carter brought along with him.

I'd look elsewhere...although I'll admit that good corners are always in demand.

Smiling Assassin27
01-11-2012, 10:24 AM

He wants to fight everyone.

Smiling Assassin27
01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
The guy plays aggressively and is a decent CB, but I'd prefer that the team drafts a CB high in the draft.

This.

The guy walks the edge of dirty but takes his role seriously and is a bulldog on the field. I think there are better options, though.

bowtown
01-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't want that ****bag anywhere near our team. He plays with no honor.

^^

Least favorite player in the league.

ColoradoDarin
01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/579488/nooooo-o.gif

chanesaw
01-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Overrated.

Drek
01-11-2012, 10:35 AM
I'd like to see us go after this guy. I love his attitude on the field, his agressiveness, his ability to play the run, and most of all his willingness to make a hit. He's known for his agressiveness, for sure. Some would even say he's "dirty." I think I could live with that.

Finnegan is the last kind of player we need on this team. He isn't just dirty, he's also absolutely stupid and commits dumb penalties. Last thing we need to add to our young D.

HILife
01-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Pass

Taco John
01-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Finnegan is the last kind of player we need on this team. He isn't just dirty, he's also absolutely stupid and commits dumb penalties. Last thing we need to add to our young D.

I understand his negatives and why people wouldn't like him. But I believe that he'd be a net positive both on and off the field and fit right on this team.

He's not as bad a character as you might believe (http://www.ark31.org/aboutus).

Popps
01-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Agree with Drek. Interesting but I think we need smarter players. Guys like Dawkins and Bailey, etc.

Even Ray Lewis plays smart 99% of the time. You can be aggressive and smart.

Turd_Ferguson
01-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Or maybe he will make Tebow a bad boy.

bronco militia
01-11-2012, 10:42 AM

THIS!!!

yeah, the broncos definitely need to an upgrade for Goodman

TonyR
01-11-2012, 10:42 AM

I understand the sentiment but you could apply the exact same thing to Romanowski before he came to Denver. I don't think anybody regrets his time with the team.

Spider
01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
bring him in .... I would want him here , yeah he does stupid things , but with his take no shiat attitude , we need some mean streak on our D

gyldenlove
01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
I understand the sentiment but you could apply the exact same thing to Romanowski before he came to Denver. I don't think anybody regrets his time with the team.

It is a risk, New England took a chance on Randy Moss and several other players, some panned out, some didn't. It is not hard to find examples of these chances working or failing so there is no solid example that can held up either way.

I would hate to see him in Denver, he is going to be expensive, he is an asshole, he is a dirty player and he lacks discipline.

Drek
01-11-2012, 10:59 AM
I understand his negatives and why people wouldn't like him. But I believe that he'd be a net positive both on and off the field and fit right on this team.

He's not as bad a character as you might believe (http://www.ark31.org/aboutus).

I don't care about his character. I care about him picking a fight with Andre Johnson mid-game because Johnson was eating his lunch all afternoon, which resulted in a penalty.

That was far from the first time his "play tough" attitude has toppled over the edge into the realm of stupidity. Personal fouls are 15 yards on top of the play, FYI. The entire league has been getting more brazen with booting 55+ yard FGs in Denver this season, that trend isn't likely to stop. The last thing we need is a guy who gives up free yardage to make those FG opportunities all the more likely.

Romanowski was an elite talent who played dirty and at times out of control. The gap between Romanowski as a LB and Finnegan as a DB is bigger than the gap between Finnegan and guys who play high school JV football (and that is only mild hyperbole).

Also, adding a character concern to a defense with Atwater, Crockett, Alfred Williams, etc. is far less risky than adding a character concern to a D that will likely lose Dawkins after this season and have only Champ as the voice of veteran authority, who is well known as a low key guy. Not to mention the kind of locker room presence you had in a veteran John Elway and his offensive crew with experienced starters in Zim, Stink, and Sharpe.

The future of the Broncos will be decided by the very young core we now have. A mediocre talent like Finnegan isn't worth his baggage.

bronco militia
01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
he'll end up following Fisher to the Rams or Dolphins

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 11:08 AM

Rodney Harrison.

bronco militia
01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
I wonder if Shanny regrets not ever calling Rodney Harrison when he left San Diego....

Pick Six
01-11-2012, 11:17 AM

It's a different era. The NFL is attempting to crack down on dirty play. Hell, they fine players for ticky-tack things, these days...

DomCasual
01-11-2012, 11:19 AM

I'd rather see us try and resign Dale Carter than go after Cortland Finnegan.

I'm just saying.

Ratboy
01-11-2012, 11:19 AM
No.

Popps
01-11-2012, 11:21 AM
I think the takeaway here is that we are going to have a good free agent crop of CBs to choose from. I hope we bring in a top option and still give Harris the chance to compete for a starting spot.

Would rather not draft CB early if we can help it. Too many other needs IMO.

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 11:30 AM
I think the takeaway here is that we are going to have a good free agent crop of CBs to choose from. I hope we bring in a top option and still give Harris the chance to compete for a starting spot.

No we won't.

Killericon
01-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Nope. Nope, nope, nope. Stupid penalties, bad attitude, a trade demand waiting to happen.

No, no, no.

razorwire77
01-11-2012, 11:31 AM

I like Harris as a dime/nickel back, but I don't see him as a starting caliber NFL CB. The team needs a 6'1" or 6'2" sub 4.4 kid with good hips and body control. A first round graded kid that Champ can mentor over the next year or two.

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM

God now that I had a chance to read past the ridiculously awful first sentence, I see the entire post is a standard piece of Popps horse**** and wrong in literally every single facet.

ColoradoDarin
01-11-2012, 11:40 AM
I would bring him in if we already had an established veteran leadership on defense, the only guys we have are Dawkins (likely gone) and Champ (quiet leader), Finnegan likely needs several people watching him at all times so he doesn't pull stupid stuff he normally does - we'd need a few Stokelys to his Marshall...

broncocalijohn
01-11-2012, 11:45 AM

another words, he is a complete asshole and disrespected us last season when we played the Titans (or year before). He isnt named FineAgain for nothing. I would like to see who else is available before going after that jerkoff.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-11-2012, 11:58 AM
http://www.entertainmentordie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Wanda-Sykes.jpg

Show me the money, biatches.

lolcopter
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
He's a little bitch

Pass

Rather get grimes from atl

Vine
01-11-2012, 12:24 PM
No thanks. I love tough physical scrappy guys but I don't want any pricks of his type on my team.

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
He's a little b****

Pass

Rather get grimes from atl

Won't sniff FA

Rolandftw
01-11-2012, 12:44 PM
No we won't.

Finnegan (TEN), Carr (KC), Grimes (ATL), Webb (BAL) are all free agents and would be very good in a #2 corner role. Carr and Webb could be #1 corners rather easily.

Course all of these players could be retained by their team, which would then make it a weaker free agent class for CB. I'm betting a couple switch teams. Finnegan and Grimes are most likely to leave.

I'd be ok with Denver overpaying to get Webb or Carr tho.

Chris
01-11-2012, 12:46 PM
I think we have room for one asshole on our team.

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2012, 12:48 PM
i would be fine with this signing. the guy plays rough, it pushes buttons. i like his intensity and think he would be a good signing to play oppositie of Champ....if the price is right.

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Finnegan (TEN), Carr (KC), Grimes (ATL), Webb (BAL) are all free agents and would be very good in a #2 corner role. Carr and Webb could be #1 corners rather easily.

Course all of these players could be retained by their team, which would then make it a weaker free agent class for CB. I'm betting a couple switch teams. Finnegan and Grimes are most likely to leave.

I'd be ok with Denver overpaying to get Webb or Carr tho.

Finnegan is the only one I see hitting FA. And maybe still wont.

fontaine
01-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Brandon Carr is a better player in every regard.

He's also used to playing press coverage which Allen uses sometimes. We already have depth at nickel with Harris who's only going to get better and Syd'Quan Thompson.

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Brandon Carr is a better player in every regard.

He's also used to playing press coverage which Allen uses sometimes. We already have depth at nickel with Harris who's only going to get better and Syd'Quan Thompson.

I would be THRILLED if we landed Carr. That being said, I don't see how KC possibly lets him go.

fontaine
01-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I would be THRILLED if we landed Carr. That being said, I don't see how KC possibly lets him go.

They already committed $22 mill last year guaranteed to Flowers, and Bowe might be tagged instead.

I can't see them dropping another $15 million plus with all the money they've already committed to Berry/Flowers and pressing needs on offense starting with Bowe.

MrPeepers
01-11-2012, 02:03 PM
no no no

Agamemnon
01-11-2012, 02:05 PM

Pretty much. He's undisciplined and gets stupid penalties constantly. No thanks.

Agamemnon
01-11-2012, 02:08 PM

Our most glaring need is corner and you don't want us to draft one? Err...derpty derp?

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 02:09 PM
They already committed $22 mill last year guaranteed to Flowers, and Bowe might be tagged instead.

I can't see them dropping another $15 million plus with all the money they've already committed to Berry/Flowers and pressing needs on offense starting with Bowe.

Out of their 22 prospective FAs, Bowe, Carr and Richardson are the only ones worth a ****. They'll have PLENTY of money to get it done.

Ray Finkle
01-11-2012, 02:24 PM

True and the Poili/NE model never features spending heavily on 2 corners....

lolcopter
01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Our most glaring need is corner and you don't want us to draft one? Err...derpty derp?

MLB

Agamemnon
01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
MLB

Probably a tie honestly, but this draft has much better quality at corner. Goodman is old and bad and Champ is old while still being good. Corner is a massive need.

Rolandftw
01-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Out of their 22 prospective FAs, Bowe, Carr and Richardson are the only ones worth a ****. They'll have PLENTY of money to get it done.

It's why I said I would be okay overpaying to try to get someone like Carr. Worst case scenario, you drive up the price the Chiefs pay. Some of what Carr gets in free agency is going to be based on his ability to continue to improve as a CB too.

Rolandftw
01-11-2012, 02:55 PM
MLB

Best player on the board. I'd love to trade down, if we could get a package similar to what the Ravens got for Tebow.

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 03:02 PM
It's why I said I would be okay overpaying to try to get someone like Carr. Worst case scenario, you drive up the price the Chiefs pay. Some of what Carr gets in free agency is going to be based on his ability to continue to improve as a CB too.

What I'm saying is he won't hit free agency...

DarkHorse
01-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Dirty player - but one hell of a cornerback. Very scrappy. I'd take him.

Mogulseeker
01-11-2012, 03:31 PM

You know I hated him in Tenn... but it's a Romo thing. I wan't him on our roster.

ColoradoDarin
01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
You know I hated him in Tenn... but it's a Romo thing. I wan't him on our roster.

??

Random apostrophe strikes again! :wave:

Rolandftw
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
What I'm saying is he won't hit free agency...

Why wouldn't he? It's only in his better financial interest to test the market. Free agency tends to overpay talents in general, even more so for such a premium position as CB.

Only way I see him not testing the free agent market, would be if Pioli gives him an offer that is around a Brandon Flowers rate. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it hasn't happened yet. They were not willing to offer a multi-year extension last offseason that was to Carr's liking as well.

Now, could the Chiefs offer him a 5 year $51 million deal? Certainly. Is it likely? No.

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2012, 03:43 PM

i agree. he is one of those guys that just seems like such a prick that you hate him when you play against him, but you just know he could potentially wind up as a fan favorite in a Denver uniform.

Broncobiv
01-11-2012, 04:01 PM
I hate that little prick.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SBT6MygnKKw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jetmeck
01-11-2012, 04:03 PM

Yep :strong:

goldengopher1976
01-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Amen.

I'm so excited for Broncos football. In a sense, I don't even care about what happens this Saturday, I can't remember going into an offseason THIS excited about the Broncos it's been so long that there's been this kind of excitement.

I'll be disappointed if we lose this week, but the feeling of optimism for the future and excitement over what we do this offseason will drown out any disappointment. This is awesome.

My sentiments exactly.

bowtown
01-11-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm hoping we pick up Carr when he hits free agency.

errand
01-11-2012, 04:07 PM
The thing I love about Finnegan is that he plays with his emotions the same way a guy like Tebow and Dawkins do. I think he could be a real asset for the style of football we play.

yeah, or he could blow his stack, and start a fight and put some other team into scoring position or extend a drive with his personal foul penalty.

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Why wouldn't he?

Why don't the vast majority of young talented players?

Jekyll15Hyde
01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
no thanks. pass

Taco John
01-11-2012, 05:30 PM

I do. He's going to look for a 5 year 50 million dollar deal with $20 million guaranteed like Brandon Flowers just got. I have a hard time believing that the Chiefs are going to want to invest $100 million in their cornerbacks given the state of their team right now.

Taco John
01-11-2012, 05:34 PM
yeah, or he could blow his stack, and start a fight and put some other team into scoring position or extend a drive with his personal foul penalty.

I agree that this is the challenge with Finnegan, but I believe that we have the leadership on both sides of the ball to keep Finnegan working for us, not against us.

My faith in Finnegan is that at the core of his character, he's a good guy (the foundation he founded speaks a lot about what he finds important), and that between Tebow, Bailey, Dumervil, and Miller, we have the leadership to keep Finnegan in check. I think that with Dawkins (presumably) on his way out, Finnegan could even turn into an emotional leader for our squad.

Agamemnon
01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I agree that this is the challenge with Finnegan, but I believe that we have the leadership on both sides of the ball to keep Finnegan working for us, not against us.

My faith in Finnegan is that at the core of his character, he's a good guy (the foundation he founded speaks a lot about what he finds important), and that between Tebow, Bailey, Dumervil, and Miller, we have the leadership to keep Finnegan in check. I think that with Dawkins (presumably) on his way out, Finnegan could even turn into an emotional leader for our squad.

I think you're kind of delusional when it comes to the guy...

Armchair Bronco
01-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Enough said.

http://www.nflpassers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/cortbeingcort.jpg

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/20-do-not-want.jpg

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 06:52 PM
I do. He's going to look for a 5 year 50 million dollar deal with $20 million guaranteed like Brandon Flowers just got. I have a hard time believing that the Chiefs are going to want to invest $100 million in their cornerbacks given the state of their team right now.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/1/10/2696735/chiefs-free-agents-dwayne-bowe-brandon-carr

lolcopter
01-11-2012, 07:31 PM
http://cdn.nextround.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/johnson-finnegan.gif

RhymesayersDU
01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
I'd love Cortland. We could use a bit of nasty, we've been s-o-f-t as toilet paper for years.

lolcopter
01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
He was hitting Johnson in the face the entire game before that blowup

**** this guy. seriously

cutthemdown
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
I'd rather go after Grimes from Atl.

barryr
01-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Porter from the Saints is another possibility, especially if Allen stays at DC.

ZONA
01-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Overrated.

This. I think because he's so aggressive he gets talked about more then he should. He's definitely not the worst CB in the league but I wouldn't say he's a sure fire improvement over Hill so what's the point. I prefer to bring in a better CB in FA or wait and see how the draft unfolds.

broncswin
01-11-2012, 08:40 PM
NO

Taco John
01-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I'd rather go after Grimes from Atl.

I don't think there is any way ATL lets him get away, but I'd love that to happen.

Taco John
01-11-2012, 09:04 PM
He was hitting Johnson in the face the entire game before that blowup

**** this guy. seriously

dude, your tag line is "denver smashmouth broncos." Curious what that means to you.

DarkHorse30
01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
No.

Taco John
01-11-2012, 09:07 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/1/10/2696735/chiefs-free-agents-dwayne-bowe-brandon-carr

KC wanted to keep both Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas happy, and we saw how that turned out. Neil got disgruntled when Thomas sucked up all the money and he got left with the scraps.

Rolandftw
01-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Why don't the vast majority of young talented players?

Because they are given a contract that fits their self-perceived/agent perceived worth both in length and in compensation. Unfortunately for the Chiefs, they likely set Carr's perceived market value in the slightly above $10 million annual salary that they gave Brandon Flowers.

Now, it's obvious the Chiefs would want him back.. but I do not see them offering him what his market value is, prior to free agency. And I do not see him accepting a deal that is less then that, unless the market dictates he is not worth that amount.

I think it's likely KC will end up heavily paying Carr, or someone else will. I agree that many young players sign prior, but most of the players in that situation and certainly those in KC that have signed early did so long before this point. Only Hali signed later, and he was franchised. KC likely won't have that option available with Carr.

Agamemnon
01-12-2012, 01:28 AM
dude, your tag line is "denver smashmouth broncos." Curious what that means to you.

I'm guessing he's thinking tough hard-nosed football that's within the rules, not douchebag Raider-style bull****.

broncocalijohn
01-12-2012, 01:45 AM
For everyone that forgot how much of an ahole this guy really is, check out this thread: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=94208&highlight=Finnegan

Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan, when asked if the Broncos had the toughest receiving corps he has faced:
"Actually, they're a bunch of powderpuffs."

I'm guessing he's thinking tough hard-nosed football that's within the rules, not douchebag Raider-style bull****.

this. When did smashmouth football become temper-tantrum, personal foul jerkoffs. Rethink this one TJ. He is an a-hole and his character, especially his bad mouthing the Broncos, is enough for me to reject him.

Bronco Yoda
01-12-2012, 02:03 AM
I'd love to bring in Finnegan for a tryout. Have the boys in orange and blue use him as a tackling dummy for a day and drop his battered heap of **** off at the airport the next day. one way ticket back home.

Taco John
01-12-2012, 02:08 AM
lol!

Hey, I understand why people might not like him. I just think that he'd be a good fit for a scrappy defense that is fueled by high emotion and an "us against the world" mentality.

extralife
01-12-2012, 03:46 AM
I'll take every dirty player in the league if they can help us win. I'm with TJ on this one--good player at a position of need, physical and emotional guy, probably not too expensive. the guy knows what he has to do to be successful, and that makes him smart more than it makes him an idiot.

Broncomutt
01-12-2012, 05:10 AM
This team needs an Enforcer, what with Dawk looking to be done. I don't think Finnegan is it, but anything that makes us more smashmouth is fine with me.

But I'll take just about anybody as long as Goodman is replaced.

KevinJames
01-12-2012, 06:00 AM
I would rather see us make a run at Ike Taylor even though DT killed him, hes a solid #2 corner and Pittsburgh's game plan didn't really help the guy out. We may be able to get him since his season ended on a low note.

Also if Dennis Allen doesn't become a HC I could see us having a good jump on Tracy Porter if the Saints let him test the waters.

Ray Finkle
01-12-2012, 06:04 AM
lol!

Hey, I understand why people might not like him. I just think that he'd be a good fit for a scrappy defense that is fueled by high emotion and an "us against the world" mentality.

I'd like to think he is everything Dale Carter was supposed to be without the baggage......

Isn't he a zone corner though?

RhymesayersDU
01-12-2012, 07:33 AM
I feel like the anti-Finnegan people are the same people who argued that they wouldn't want Suh on the team when that discussion took place a month ago.

I find it absolutely crazy.

And OK, perhaps Finnegan isn't the answer, but I'll say it again: we've been soft for years, a little bit of mean wouldn't be bad for this defense.

dictionary
01-12-2012, 09:40 AM
I dont know if anyone else saw this but PFF has a 2012 Free Agent Tracker up with grades, etc.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/12/2012-free-agent-tracker/

Taco John
01-16-2012, 02:56 AM
Alright, countdown to Finnegan, here we go...

Taco John
01-16-2012, 02:57 AM
The Titans have had no contract discussions with free agent CB Cortland Finnegan since the season ended.

Finnegan interestingly appeared on ESPN 101 St. Louis on Friday and told the radio station he'd be open to following Jeff Fisher to the Rams. Other Titans free agents Fisher may look to poach from his old team include DT Jason Jones, FS Michael Griffin, OT Mike Otto, DE William Hayes, and WR Lavelle Hawkins. Jan 13 - 5:32 PM
Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4035&line=226377&spln=1

Lycan
01-16-2012, 03:00 AM
The Titans have had no contract discussions with free agent CB Cortland Finnegan since the season ended.

Finnegan interestingly appeared on ESPN 101 St. Louis on Friday and told the radio station he'd be open to following Jeff Fisher to the Rams. Other Titans free agents Fisher may look to poach from his old team include DT Jason Jones, FS Michael Griffin, OT Mike Otto, DE William Hayes, and WR Lavelle Hawkins. Jan 13 - 5:32 PM
Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4035&line=226377&spln=1

Bring this guy to Denver.

Doggcow
01-16-2012, 03:04 AM
Griffin would be awesome.

I'll take Finnigan too, but I'd rather go a different route.

Taco John
01-16-2012, 03:18 AM
And therein lies the question: What do the Titans want in regards to Finnegan, who at times seems to be two different people rolled into one. There is the humble, community-minded Finnegan, who has twice been the team’s Man of the Year. The other Finnegan can be snippy and surly when a reporter’s line of questioning isn’t to his liking.

I think this story paints Finnegan fairly. I personally believe that Finnegan is an immature kid who will eventually mature into a guy who can be a team leader. But the bottom line is that he's a great cover corner who would give Dennis Allen more flexibility in scheming. Finnegan is a great bump-and-run corner, a great man-up coverage corner, and can work the zone too. He's not afraid of contact - he blitzes, he tackles well, he is a great pass defender.

I see this is an opportunity where the risk/reward factors are right for us. The team can offer him an incentive based contract to protect from his antics, but I bet he'd hit them all and end up being a solid Bronco that we can get excited about, and enjoy some solid defensive scheming for years to come with some dominant corner play.

Broncos_OTM
01-16-2012, 04:08 AM
WhTever this team can do to upgrade. Is he a guy who gets in trouble with the law? Or is he kust a thorn in peoples side on the field. How does he get along with players ... I dont care if hes rjde to the media and really dot care if he talks as long as he bacjs it up and sgays out of trouble off the field

broncocalijohn
01-16-2012, 03:35 PM
And therein lies the question: What do the Titans want in regards to Finnegan, who at times seems to be two different people rolled into one. There is the humble, community-minded Finnegan, who has twice been the team’s Man of the Year. The other Finnegan can be snippy and surly when a reporter’s line of questioning isn’t to his liking.

I think this story paints Finnegan fairly. I personally believe that Finnegan is an immature kid who will eventually mature into a guy who can be a team leader. But the bottom line is that he's a great cover corner who would give Dennis Allen more flexibility in scheming. Finnegan is a great bump-and-run corner, a great man-up coverage corner, and can work the zone too.

You realize you could have been describing Brandon Marshall. I wasnt sad to see Flava Clown leave Denver for draft picks. If there are opportunities for other CB with talent, bring them in first. If he does sign with Denver, guarantee Kuper will not be rooming with him on the road.

broncocalijohn
01-16-2012, 03:35 PM
WhTever this team can do to upgrade. Is he a guy who gets in trouble with the law? Or is he kust a thorn in peoples side on the field. How does he get along with players ... I dont care if hes rjde to the media and really dot care if he talks as long as he bacjs it up and sgays out of trouble off the field

either get smaller finger tips or bigger keyboard on your phone!

dsmoot
01-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Sounds like another Bronco I loved --- Bill Romanowski. Loved him when he was ours.

Taco John
03-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Dammit... La Canfora is saying that the Titans are going to franchise Finnegan...

@JasonLaCanfora

Grimes and Branch won't be the only DB to get tagged. 49ers plan to tag S Dashon Goldson and Titans likely to tag CB Courtland Finnegan

https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/175590489934934016

Simple Jake
03-02-2012, 01:00 PM
He's the definition of a player i'd hate unless he was on my team

bronco militia
03-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Dammit... La Canfora is saying that the Titans are going to franchise Finnegan...

@JasonLaCanfora

Grimes and Branch won't be the only DB to get tagged. 49ers plan to tag S Dashon Goldson and Titans likely to tag CB Courtland Finnegan

https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/175590489934934016

Not so fast on that report about the Titans franchising Cortland Finnegan.

At 9:36 a.m., Jason La Canfora of NFL Network wrote on Twitter that the Titans are likely to franchise Finnegan. And then at 10:41 a.m., Adam Schefter of ESPN wrote on Twitter that will not franchise Finnegan.
Schefter’s report sounds more definitive than La Canfora’s, and it also meshes with what we’ve been hearing for weeks out of Tennessee, which is that the Titans would like to keep Finnegan but won’t use the franchise tag to do it.

And so we’re inclined to believe that Schefter’s report is on the money, and the Titans will allow Finnegan to become an unrestricted free agent barring a deal being worked out in the next 11 days.

Rohirrim
03-02-2012, 02:34 PM
If he doesn't get the tag I'll bet he goes to the Rams.

DarkHorse
03-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Please go get him EFX!

DENVERDUI55
03-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Standard mane answer. Sign him!

Taco John
03-02-2012, 04:42 PM
If he doesn't get the tag I'll bet he goes to the Rams.

The Cowboys want him or Carr.

DarkHorse
03-02-2012, 06:54 PM
**** the Cowboys, i'd rather us snag him up. The dude is a really good corner and I think he'd fit well. Would certainly add a little fire to our defense.

Cito Pelon
03-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Finnegan would be an upgrade to the team right now, but they'll be looking to upgrade again in a couple years. Not that it's a bad move, that's what FA is good for often, get a younger guy to upgrade at a position of need and hope you can draft a better one.

iforgotmypassword
03-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I like the argument here, there's a fine line between punks and fiery players, better to flirt with that line on defense.

broncosteven
03-02-2012, 09:47 PM
He's the definition of a player i'd hate unless he was on my team

Sounds like Romo

TonyR
03-03-2012, 01:24 PM
I would list Denver as the favorite in the division to land Bush, and among the favorites in the league to sign him if he leaves Oakland. I think this is a perfect fit. The Broncos have a need at the position, and will likely draft a running back early if they don’t address the position in free agency. The Broncos were the No. 1 running team in the NFL last season. Going from one strong running offense to another would likely appeal to Bush. The Tim Tebow-led offense is best when the Broncos run the ball. Pairing Bush with Willis McGahee -- who was a star last season -- would likely be attractive to everyone involved. It would allow Bush to be the primary back, and allow McGahee to go back to a secondary role, where he might be best suited because of his age (he’ll turn 31 during the season), and because he suffered several injuries last season. http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/40565/will-michael-bush-remain-in-the-afc-west

lolcopter
03-04-2012, 10:09 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/40565/will-michael-bush-remain-in-the-afc-west

i take it

R8R H8R
03-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Sounds like Romo

That's exactly what I was thinking. We all loved Romo for his "passionate & physical style" while he was a Bronco. The second he became a raider, he was a dirty rotten cheap-shot artist.

Mogulseeker
03-04-2012, 02:58 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. We all loved Romo for his "passionate & physical style" while he was a Bronco. The second he became a raider, he was a dirty rotten cheap-shot artist.

True: we did love him in Denver.
False we all loved Romo for his "passionate & physical style" while he was a Bronco.

True: we all knew Romo was a dirty rotten cheap-shot artist while in Denver, and we didn't care.

R8R H8R
03-04-2012, 03:37 PM
True: we did love him in Denver.
False we all loved Romo for his "passionate & physical style" while he was a Bronco.

True: we all knew Romo was a dirty rotten cheap-shot artist while in Denver, and we didn't care.

I don't disagree with that, but my point is that we only cared about it, and called him what he was, after he left the team. And I put myself in that category--guilty as charged!

cmhargrove
03-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Finnegan says Titans decided not to offer contract
NFL.com
Published: March 5, 2012 at 06:13 p.m. Updated: March 5, 2012 at 07:26 p.m.
With the Tennessee Titans using their franchise tag on safety Michael Griffin, cornerback Cortland Finnegan is preparing to become a free agent on March 13 -- and he expects to be joining a new team.

Free agency looms, but don't overvalue the open market. Elliot Harrison says titles aren't won after one big offseason. Finnegan said Monday that he was interested in returning to the Titans at the right price, but the team never offered him a contract...

Terry Watson, Finnegan's agent, met with Titans representatives at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, but the two sides remained far apart in their discussions, according to The Tennessean. He turned down a four-year, $28 million contract from the Titans last August, the newspaper reported, and this offseason was looking for a contract "that makes him one of the top-paid cornerbacks in the NFL."

Read the full article here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82765e72/article/finnegan-says-titans-decided-not-to-offer-contract?module=HP11_headline_stack