PDA

View Full Version : Who would have thought the Defensive Line would have become our strongest unit? We need them Sat!

KevinJames
01-11-2012, 08:41 AM
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2011/12/fb_f118ab62f128b3d1dfd532fe7b9c714d.jpghttp://cdn0.sbnation.com/photo_images/4748984/95596_APTOPIX_Jets_Broncos_Football_large.jpg
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/photo_images/3828575/89030_Broncos_Defense_Football_large.jpghttp://cdn1.sbnation.com/photo_images/5036002/98477_Patriots_Broncos_Football_large.jpg

:strong: These guys have been solid all season who would of thought this would be the case? After the year started with our starting DTs doing down there was so much uncertainty and we thought DL would be our weakest area.

Elvis Dumervil - DOOM
Broderick Bunkley - "Bunknee"
Marcus Thomas - HAM
Robert Ayers - Throw your hands in the Ayers!

even McBean and Hunter who rotate in have made plays. (I think the rotation does need to be addressed with depth in the draft tho)

you could add Von Miller to this too since he plays with hand in the dirt a lot, we all know hes an outstanding pass rusher.

But the starters man you have to pleased they are having a great season all of them, and hopefully both DTs are offered contracts. To me Elvis Dumervil is the best defensive player we have, and his play on the field backs it such an amazing pass rusher, and on top of that hes good against the run.

We are going to need these guys to come up big for us Saturday night, and I have a good feeling they will because I think we will rush 3 or 4 most of the game, since Brady burned us when we rushed 5 or more last time he was like 10/12 171 yds when we rushed 5.

For some reason Brady in the playoffs facing a 4 man rush or less struggles. So lets go D Line lets have a great game!

Drek
01-11-2012, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't call them "solid". Not with how often the DTs part like the red sea before Moses and let RBs stroll into the second level.

Doom, Ayers, and Miller are worthwhile starters, everyone else should be a situational use guy and we need to add a real every down DT who can clog up the middle and crush the pocket some.

KevinJames
01-11-2012, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't call them "solid". Not with how often the DTs part like the red sea before Moses and let RBs stroll into the second level.

Doom, Ayers, and Miller are worthwhile starters, everyone else should be a situational use guy and we need to add a real every down DT who can clog up the middle and crush the pocket some.

Really? Bunk isn't a starting caliber DT? I think he proved this season he certainly is.

Smiling Assassin27
01-11-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm pretty happy with Bunk and Marcus. They've acquitted themselves well this year. It's a pretty fair rotation we have there but some DT depth is on the menu this offseason.

BroncoBeavis
01-11-2012, 09:08 AM

Just off the cuff recollection here, but it seems to me like we get burned more outside the tackles than up the middle. Not to say it doesn't happen. But call the wrong stunt on any given play and it can happen. Especially depending on what your MLB's doing.

Shotgun Willie
01-11-2012, 09:12 AM
When they can show that they can stop all these backup running backs we've been facing, I'll call them our strongest unit.

Bahshay
01-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Really? Bunk isn't a starting caliber DT? I think he proved this season he certainly is.

Agree. Throw in Ty Warren and a 1st or 2nd round DT and that position can go from weakness to strength very quickly.

MplsBronco
01-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah, they need to get tougher against the run. It seems lik they have reverted to last year in regards to the run. We can't let these scrub NE rbs gain chunks of yardage. This is just as big as getting after Brady. Gotta keep them in 2nd and 3rd and long.

Inkana7
01-11-2012, 09:42 AM
They'd look better if Mays could make a tackle.

Drek
01-11-2012, 10:08 AM

Bunkley would make a great 1/2 rotation with Thomas, as Bunkley is more reliably on running downs and Thomas is better at penetrating and getting pass rush.

We saw it last weekend against Pittsburgh, our DTs do not contain QBs in the most crucial area of the field for getting real pass rush. Doom, Miller, and Ayers will not get to finish off sacks when they get early pressure if our DTs allow wide open escape lanes directly in front of the QB.

I'd argue that Broncos fans are mistaking solid utilitarian DTs for good DTs because they just haven't seen a good DT in over half a decade now.

ColoradoDarin
01-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Bunkley would make a great 1/2 rotation with Thomas, as Bunkley is more reliably on running downs and Thomas is better at penetrating and getting pass rush.

We saw it last weekend against Pittsburgh, our DTs do not contain QBs in the most crucial area of the field for getting real pass rush. Doom, Miller, and Ayers will not get to finish off sacks when they get early pressure if our DTs allow wide open escape lanes directly in front of the QB.

I'd argue that Broncos fans are mistaking solid utilitarian DTs for good DTs because they just haven't seen a good DT in over half a decade now.

THIS!

Drek
01-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Agree. Throw in Ty Warren and a 1st or 2nd round DT and that position can go from weakness to strength very quickly.

This is what I'm saying. I'd have preferred Mebane myself, but a healthy Warren or another solid vet FA if he won't be (following his release) and an early draftee to develop, coupled with some later round depth signings to push the Unrein/McBean types in camp.

We have potential to have a very good front seven if Irving or a draftee can turn MLB into a position of every down strength and we can add one every down impact DT. At the same time we need to guard against age related decline if we're betting on Warren or another older vet to fill that role, because the rest of the front seven have a lot of football left to play.

BroncoMan4ever
01-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Bunkley has been a really good pickup for us. I would very much like us to re-sign the guy in the offseason and hopefully pair him with a more dominant DT. also i would like us to bring back Thomas, he has been a god rotational guy for us. probably not as a starter but as a guy who plays a fair amount of snaps in the rotation.

Archer81
01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Considering what we are used to seeing on the defensive line this group has done solidly. Good building blocks for the future, and if we are going to get further than the divisional round they are going to have to play out of their minds.

:Broncos:

OrangeSe7en
01-11-2012, 01:22 PM
We need 2 of them to come through this weekend. I'm really hoping that Ayers has found the perfect time to come into his own. We need at least two legitimate threats bringing the heat on Brady, whether thats Doom and Ayers, Doom and Von,...or whoever.

Broncbow
01-11-2012, 01:28 PM

No Doubt.

Agamemnon
01-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Our run defense issues are much more the result of Mays being a backup pretending to be a starter and Miller constantly failing at contain than our DTs. You should pay closer attention.

Truthfully, our #1 issue in run defense is the fact that we have a depth player starting at Mike, when pretty every run D needs a true playmaker at the position to really be successful. It's a pretty massively glaring issue.

Now that I think of it, safety play has also been a glaring issue at times. When it comes to DT, our biggest issue is depth. It isn't an elite unit, but it also isn't a problem area presently.

Popps
01-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Love the strong play up front. Imagine when Von's hand is back to 100%.

Still hope we commit to both lines this offseason. Depth and more talent needed.

I said at the beginning of the season Ayers was the key player for us. If he develops into even a steady B+ linemen, we're going to be very dangerous for some time to come.

Kaylore
01-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Where is that gif of Marcus Thomas?

razorwire77
01-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Bunkley and Thomas are both solid rotational guys. The team needs to retain them hope that Warren comes back relatively healthy (big if), add another decent FA rotational guy and draft another DT in the first 3 rounds. If that happens, absolutely it becomes a strength position.

Agamemnon
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM

Bunkley is actually very close to being an elite run-stuffing NT. We lack any real playmaking UTs, but Bunkley is pretty much a complete stud at his job.

ColoradoDarin
01-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Where is that gif of Marcus Thomas?

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/dhaus5650/gifs/MarcusThomasDancegif.gif

Play2win
01-11-2012, 04:32 PM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/dhaus5650/gifs/MarcusThomasDancegif.gif

Kung-fu Panda Hilarious!