PDA

View Full Version : Rafael Bush comes from out of nowhere and plays a lot, who is this kid?

KevinJames
01-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Went back and watched the game focused in on him a lot you, he played a lot of snaps and he was pretty decent and at times he really stood out.

so that got me searching you tube and google about some more info on this kid and maybe some more footage because I never heard of him before last week.

<object height="315" width="420">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dJYwfR_XWSs?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="315" width="420"></object>

looks like we might have stumbled on to some decent secondary depth with him he appears to be a good aggressive tackler so that helps on special teams.

anyone heard of this kid before this year?

jhns
01-11-2012, 06:57 AM
I had never heard of him. I looked him up during the game because I kept seeing him.

Paladin
01-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Add him to Harris, and the Broncos may have found the secondary help they've needed for some time, Squid comes back, and the competition for playing time can be tough next year.

Peoples Champ
01-11-2012, 07:02 AM
was he undrafted free agent?

Rascal
01-11-2012, 07:06 AM
His lack of aggression was noticed when he didn't tackle/hit Cotchery while he was bobbling his TD reception. And what he did is not something I would consider a hit.

Vine
01-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Copied and Pasted on his page from the Broncos website....

Quickly: Bush signed with Denver on October 18, 2011. He is a second year safety who signed with Atlanta in 2010 as an undrafted free agent. He was called up to the Falcons’ active roster for the last game the 2010 season but was inactive. Bush served as a member of Atlanta’s practice squad for the first six weeks of the 2011 season.

Chris
01-11-2012, 07:24 AM
More like he hugged Cotchery, waited until he had firm possession and then gave him a love tap.

Dedhed
01-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Well, we'll see what he's made of if Dawkins and Bruton are both out Saturday. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a Roc Alexander situation.

dbfan21
01-11-2012, 07:39 AM
More like he hugged Cotchery, waited until he had firm possession and then gave him a love tap.

I don't know why defenders aren't coached to bring their arm up through the receiver's hands on a play like that. He could have easily knocked the ball out if he did.

MplsBronco
01-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Agreed, the play on Cotchery was pathetic. Where is the desire, the effort with these guys in a game that big on a play that critical? Color me not impressed at all.

Peoples Champ
01-11-2012, 08:17 AM
was he undrafted free agent?

or did we sign him from practice squad or someone elses practice squad?

jhns
01-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Agreed, the play on Cotchery was pathetic. Where is the desire, the effort with these guys in a game that big on a play that critical? Color me not impressed at all.

Wouldn't that have been a late hit if he smashed him? I seem to remember the receiver catching it and taking a couple steps before the "hit" and it looked like Bush was stopping himself. My memory could be off.

jhns
01-11-2012, 08:21 AM

Wouldn't that have been a late hit if he smashed him? I seem to remember the receiver catching it and taking a couple steps before the "hit" and it looked like Bush was stopping himself. My memory could be off.

vancejohnson82
01-11-2012, 08:24 AM
or did we sign him from practice squad or someone elses practice squad?

he was in Atlanta, but I'm pretty sure he was cut

Steve Prefontaine
01-11-2012, 08:30 AM
He runs well without pads.

Rafael Bush may not be one of the premier names from SC State, but he certainly has caught the eyes of NFL teams with his late efforts as an NFL prospect. Bush stole the show at SC State’s pro day with the fastest 40 time of a 4.44, a 37” vertical, and a 6.75 three-cone drill. Bush accounted for two of SC State’s defensive touchdowns last season and was named Second Team All-MEAC as a safety.

MplsBronco
01-11-2012, 08:33 AM

Who cares about a late hit at that point? Mark it off on the kickoff. Plus the replays showed Cotchery did not catch it cleanly. It just lacked a lot agressiveness on his part in my eyes. Again, it was such a big play and I feel like he had a chance to make some impact and pulled up instead.

KevinJames
01-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Who cares about a late hit at that point? Mark it off on the kickoff. Plus the replays showed Cotchery did not catch it cleanly. It just lacked a lot agressiveness on his part in my eyes. Again, it was such a big play and I feel like he had a chance to make some impact and pulled up instead.

In all fairness hes a bubble player the last thing he wants is a late hit penalty against him.

strafen
01-11-2012, 08:41 AM

He will learn.
You can't expect somebody who's seen limited action in the NFL play at a high level right off the bat.
He's going to make his share of mental mistakes, but those are correctable.
I also think he can also make some plays as well, and hopefully one that would be a huge one for us...

t-diddy
01-11-2012, 08:44 AM
He chopped his steps! Chopped his ****in steps!

ScottXray
01-11-2012, 08:48 AM

In real time it looked like the play was already a done deal....
Sure Cotchery was bobbling , and yes MAYBE he could have punched it out
but lets remember that he's not exactly been in a lot. 2nd year with no game experience that I know of til now.

He seems to be a good player....and lets not throw him under the bus for ONE play that he might have made, when he did make several others. I think we have to use the 6 DB defense we did against Pittsburgh this week also.

Lets just hope he plays well going forward.

MplsBronco
01-11-2012, 09:00 AM
In real time it looked like the play was already a done deal....
Sure Cotchery was bobbling , and yes MAYBE he could have punched it out
but lets remember that he's not exactly been in a lot. 2nd year with no game experience that I know of til now.

He seems to be a good player....and lets not throw him under the bus for ONE play that he might have made, when he did make several others. I think we have to use the 6 DB defense we did against Pittsburgh this week also.

Lets just hope he plays well going forward.

Yeah, I am not throwing him under the bus. That's a penalty I'd be willing to accept from a player. I just want to see the guy try to make the most of his opportunity and not choose to lay up instead. That's all.

razorwire77
01-11-2012, 09:01 AM
He will learn.
You can't expect somebody who's seen limited action in the NFL play at a high level right off the bat.
He's going to make his share of mental mistakes, but those are correctable.
I also think he can also make some plays as well, and hopefully one that would be a huge one for us...

That's not the mane way. What you do is when a young guy who's seen limited action gets thrown into playoff action against a HOF QB, if he misses any tackle or makes any mistake you automatically declare that he's sucks ass. The kid has the measurables without pads, and I didn't think he was terrible last week given the circumstances.

MplsBronco
01-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I want some aggressive, smash mouth players. Lets send a message without being stupid, you know? I want that to be the culture and what the coaches communicate to the players. Again, a late hit penalty there just sets up the other team to kickoff from the 50. He could have prevented a TD is the upside.

TonyR
01-11-2012, 09:08 AM
I had never heard of him.

Okay, it wasn't just me. Every time his name was mentioned I was like, "who?" The first time I assumed they just made a mistake and said the wrong name. Like when Simms said DT went to Central Florida (mistaking him with BM I assume).

razorwire77
01-11-2012, 09:13 AM
I want some aggressive, smash mouth players. Lets send a message without being stupid, you know? I want that to be the culture and what the coaches communicate to the players. Again, a late hit penalty there just sets up the other team to kickoff from the 50. He could have prevented a TD is the upside.

I think Fox and Allen have done a pretty good job of creating that culture. Especially, when you compare it to the Jamie Wiborn (cross your arms and swagger after giving up a 9 yard run) era of Bronco defense.

What the team lacks right now is the talent at CB, MLB and DT to play both aggressively and effectively. The perfect storm next year would be Bowlen opening up the purse strings in FA, Ty Warren returns from injury and has something left, Irving puts on some weight and takes over for Mays, and the team drafts CB round 1 or 2 in the draft.

TheReverend
01-11-2012, 09:28 AM
He chopped his steps! Chopped his ****in steps!

:rofl:

Nice obscure reference! Repped.

cmhargrove
01-11-2012, 09:33 AM

It wouldn't have been a late hit for him to punch the ball, or rip on the receivers arms. The kid was in the right position, and ready to dislodge the ball - for some reason he had no killer instinct. I think the coaches will green light him to smack the ball and/or the receiver next time.

He looks like he could be a good player, and was certainly "close" to making several big plays. The rest can be taught/learned.

jhns
01-11-2012, 09:35 AM
It wouldn't have been a late hit for him to punch the ball, or rip on the receivers arms. The kid was in the right position, and ready to dislodge the ball - for some reason he had no killer instinct. I think the coaches will green light him to smack the ball and/or the receiver next time.

He looks like he could be a good player, and was certainly "close" to making several big plays. The rest can be taught/learned.

Yeah, he really needed to put his arms up. If he didn't look down to hit the guy, he had a good chance at knocking it out of his hands.

razorwire77
01-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Good point. He closed on the ball well, especially for a guy thrown into the fire. He just didn't know what to do when he got there. Hopefully, they keep him around, coach him up and see what they've got.

cabronco
01-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I recall thinking at the time of the play, who the hell is Bush. Point two I was glad to see him in the picture frame, where we have tendency of leaving players wide open. So maybe next time he's a step sooner and picks or knocks the ball away.

boppool
01-11-2012, 09:54 AM
He runs well without pads.
Rafael Bush may not be one of the premier names from SC State, but he certainly has caught the eyes of NFL teams with his late efforts as an NFL prospect. Bush stole the show at SC State’s pro day with the fastest 40 time of a 4.44, a 37” vertical, and a 6.75 three-cone drill. Bush accounted for two of SC State’s defensive touchdowns last season and was named Second Team All-MEAC as a safety.

Why was he not picked up by Faiders. Sounds like a perfect Faider candidate...

BroncoBen
01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Copied and Pasted on his page from the Broncos website....

Quickly: Bush signed with Denver on October 18, 2011. He is a second year safety who signed with Atlanta in 2010 as an undrafted free agent. He was called up to the Falcons’ active roster for the last game the 2010 season but was inactive. Bush served as a member of Atlanta’s practice squad for the first six weeks of the 2011 season.

I remember when the Broncos signed Bush I peeked in on the falcons message board and a lot of thouse fans were pissed the Falcons didn't do more to keep him.

t-diddy
01-11-2012, 01:18 PM
:rofl:

Nice obscure reference! Repped.

Glad somebody got it!LOL

UberBroncoMan
01-11-2012, 04:56 PM
he was in Atlanta, but I'm pretty sure he was cut

We stole him from their PS by signing him to our roster. Very much the same way the Jets took Eron Riley from us.

extralife
01-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Hopefully it doesn't turn into <b>a Roc Alexander situation</b>.

oh man, please don't :(

Que
01-11-2012, 06:06 PM

This. He should have Atwatered his ass.

Hamrob
01-11-2012, 10:02 PM
I thought he stunk up the place. I was much more impressed with how well Bruton played.

pricejj
01-11-2012, 10:41 PM
1. Raphael Bush can run - If you remember from the game, Bush was in position to knock the ball away from Pittsburgh receivers (fastest group in the league) throughout the game. With a 4.44 forty-time, Bush has the sub-4.5 forty time that you want to see in a safety (unlike Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter who are 4.5 guys).

2. In an interview on 104.3 the FAN, Dmac asked Champ Bailey, how he felt about the young guys in the secondary, he said "Raphael Bush played great", and went on to say how impressed he was (also mentioned Carter). The last time I remember Champ mentioning a safety other than Dawkins was Calvin Lowry, whom Champ said was, "The worst player I've ever played with".

3. Raphael Bush will get his opportunities against the Patriots - Tom Brady will test the Broncos secondary all day long. I'm actually excited to see how Carter and Bush perform. I don't want to be forced to draft Mark Barron in the first round if Dawkins retires. Mark Barron is not an elite safety prospect (4.5 forty). If our secondary shows up, we have a good chance to win the game. I like David Bruton, and Chris Harris...the jury is still out on Quinton Carter, we'll see if he can get guys in the proper position this time against New England. Add Raphael Bush to the equation, and we're in business. Who knows about Rahim Moore.

theAPAOps5
01-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I can tell you who he is not....... Raheem Moore

TerrElway
01-12-2012, 09:05 AM
You guys all going to pay his big fine when he makes that hit? Undrafted free agent takes the fine for a big hit and it hurts. He's not making the scratch that some of these other clowns are and he doesn't have a contract in place either.

The NFL has tried so hard to make the game touch football that guys are pulling up on this kind of play all the time.

Everyone but James Harrison. His thuggery level exceeds his worry about fines and hurting people.

Having said all that, I wish he would have Steve Atwatered him into next week.

Crushaholic
01-12-2012, 09:47 AM
I had never heard of him. I looked him up during the game because I kept seeing him.

I had to do the same thing with Quinton Carter. I had to find out who that was, having a monster game...:strong: