PDA

View Full Version : Denver SUPPOSEDLY lined up illegally on the game winning OT play

ColoradoBuff
01-10-2012, 01:31 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d825e12a4/article/nfl-spokesman-broncos-lined-up-legally-on-ot-play-vs-steelers?module=HP11_headline_stack

haters gonna hate!ROFL!

Jason in LA
01-10-2012, 01:36 PM
The so called illegal formation must have directly led to the bomb. Only six men on the line of scrimmage for the Broncos? I guess before the play Demaryius Thomas lined up 20 yards down field, behind the Steelers DBs. ;D

Bronco Rob
01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
what about the early whistle on the obvious fumble? Kind of funny how they glossed over that. The Broncos would have the ball deep within Steelers territory.

:sunshine:

MplsBronco
01-10-2012, 01:38 PM
That's a reach. Looks more like the o-line just wasnt' lined up straight with the line of scrimmage.

bronco militia
01-10-2012, 01:39 PM
yawn....

optical illusion

Vine
01-10-2012, 01:44 PM
This is why horrible officiating infuriates me. If the game would have been called fairly, we wouldn't be hearing this ****. Of course none of the so called experts never mention a damn thing about the inadvertent whistle, but the fact is the game is a BLOWOUT if that play would have been allowed to go on.

BroncoBen
01-10-2012, 01:44 PM
What is saying.. 'you win some and you lose some'.. its the job of the Refs to make calls. If this indeed the case, then maybe a ref should have thrown the flag.

Mogulseeker
01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Actually, I heard someone say this before the snap... someone said "if stays on the line, that's an illegal formation."

Tebow snapped it and as soon as DT caught it, I looked for a flag. Then I saw DT score and forgot all about it.

Mogulseeker
01-10-2012, 01:47 PM
What is saying.. 'you win some and you lose some'.. its the job of the Refs to make calls. If this indeed the case, then maybe a ref should have thrown the flag.

I counted three missed facemask penalties on the Steelers. There is the returning a fair caught punt, and several missed holds on both sides. I was getting pissed at the game.

WolfpackGuy
01-10-2012, 01:47 PM
I saw some illegal facemask pulling and a live ball blown dead.

You would think the NFL would be trying to bury a story about the officiating on Sunday.

Kid A
01-10-2012, 01:48 PM
This came up on Twitter. Mike Pereira dismissed it as something that goes uncalled all the time:

https://twitter.com/#!/MikePereira/status/156582983162281984

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7762/screenshot20120110at248.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/screenshot20120110at248.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Shotgun Willie
01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
What am I missing? The headline of the article says "legal", not "illegal". And the article itself confirms this:

The NFL said the Broncos played within the rules on the play in question.

"There is nothing to this," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told NFL.com on Tuesday. "This is a legal formation. This should not have been flagged."

Mike Pereira, the NFL's former vice president of officiating and current "rules expert" for Fox, agreed no flag should have been thrown.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2012, 01:52 PM
"bummer!"

--Steve Mariucci

Rohirrim
01-10-2012, 01:54 PM
What am I missing? The headline of the article says "legal", not "illegal". And the article itself confirms this:

"There is nothing to this," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told NFL.com on Tuesday. "This is a legal formation. This should not have been flagged."

Mike Pereira, the NFL's former vice president of officiating and current "rules expert" for Fox, agreed no flag should have been thrown.

There's a line judge in the picture, looking straight down the line.

Agamemnon
01-10-2012, 01:57 PM
And it's not like the formation was the reason it went 80 yards anyway. Give me a break...

BroncoBeavis
01-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Semi-unrelated but who was it that DJ laid out on that reception attempt over the middle?

The ref who threw that flag from deep in the secondary when it was clear he had absolutely no way to see the hit actually take place... that guy should get ****canned.

Thankfully, the refs who were closer must've given him the WTF? treatment, so they picked it up.

But I don't want officials in these games flagging people based on things they imagine.

BroncoBeavis
01-10-2012, 02:03 PM
There is the returning a fair caught punt,

Yeah, and what was up with that? I always thought that was an automatic flag.

LetsGoBroncos
01-10-2012, 02:04 PM
what about the early whistle on the obvious fumble? Kind of funny how they glossed over that. The Broncos would have the ball deep within Steelers territory.

Exactly. Nothing that happened after that point in the game is even worth discussing. Game was over if the refs don't blow that call. Worst case for us would have probably been 23-6 with 4 minutes left in the third

Drek
01-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Just because Rosario isn't in a good stance doesn't mean he isn't within a yard of the LOS. Hell, he's in line with Clady on the play.

Talk about a bunch of cry babies looking for a way to take something away from a guy they can't stomach making them look so bad.

strafen
01-10-2012, 02:23 PM
WTF?!
End of story.
Dang, you guys love a b!tch fest don't ya'?

"Watch on any Sunday. This is a good formation compared to many," Pereira said. "They are not technical with this."

Shotgun Willie
01-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Beat ya to it strafen. :)

Popps
01-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Oh cool, that will make up for the 19 goddamned facemask calls the refs have ****ed in the past coupe of games.

Lestat
01-10-2012, 02:31 PM
hey, it's not a crime unless you get caught. it's not a penalty unless you get called for it.

Lestat
01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
19? where did you only see 19? they grab Tebow's mask about 6 times a game and have been for multiple weeks now.
Oh cool, that will make up for the 19 goddamned facemask calls the refs have ****ed in the past coupe of games.

strafen
01-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Beat ya to it strafen. :)And they're still b!tchin' about it ROFL!

chickennob2
01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
And it's not like the formation was the reason it went 80 yards anyway. Give me a break...

That's not quite true. When asked about the play in his post-game press conference, Demaryius Thomas said that a big part of the effectiveness of the play was the fact that he was lined up off of the line of scrimmage, and that this prevented Pittsburgh from jamming him. That clean release, combined with the safety moving up, allowed DT to get wide open with no one between himself in the endzone.

Kaylore
01-10-2012, 03:03 PM
"That backwards pass was incomplete, not fumble."

-Big Ben's armpit hair

BroncoBeavis
01-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I"m kind of enjoying mighty Stealer Nation soiling themselves whining about losing because of a borderline illegal formation of all things.

Is there a bigger b**** penalty in the game to whine about? What's next, they going to whine that one of Clady's shoes were untied so there should've been an equipment time out? :)

UberBroncoMan
01-10-2012, 03:13 PM

If that called went our way we would have won in regulation. It was a 10-14 point swing in their favor.

Would have been 23-6 or 27-6 instead of 20-13.

They also forget about Doom jumping offsides costing us an INT. Granted that was his fault.

Punisher
01-10-2012, 03:21 PM

What about the miss facemask calls

Dr. Broncenstein
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this.... but the Steelers were saved from a blatantly obvious backward pass / fumble deep in their own territory. Also, they scored a touchdown on the very drive that was sustained by this incredible injustice. Just in case it hasn't been mentioned yet.

canadianbroncosfan
01-10-2012, 03:27 PM

I need to bump your comment.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM

To be fair... grasping the back of the helmet and separating it from the head it's protecting is technically not facemasking.

Armchair Bronco
01-10-2012, 03:48 PM
The article is self-contradictory. First, it implies that we may have been in an illegal formation. Then it quotes 2 NFL officials who say that the formation was fine.

Dumb article.

errand
01-10-2012, 03:49 PM

Exactly..... the steelers problem wasn't whether not the broncos had the right amount of guys on the line of scrimmage.... it was because the steelers had too many guys at the line of scrimmage

chrisp
01-10-2012, 03:49 PM

"Watch on any Sunday. This is a good formation compared to many," Pereira said. "They are not technical with this."

With this knowledge in hand, Steelers fans can officially can go back to blaming poor Ike Taylor.

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious! Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

canadianbroncosfan
01-10-2012, 03:56 PM
The article is self-contradictory. First, it implies that we may have been in an illegal formation. Then it quotes 2 NFL officials who say that the formation was fine.

Dumb article.

How is it contradicting itself, the title is "NFL spokesman: Broncos lined up LEGALLY on OT play vs. Steelers"

Dedhed
01-10-2012, 04:16 PM

Dumb article.The article is in response to whiny Steelers fans and media hacks who can't stand that Tebow and the Broncos won. There were grumblings that the play should have been flagged because they need to delegitimize [sic] the victory.

Agamemnon
01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
That's not quite true. When asked about the play in his post-game press conference, Demaryius Thomas said that a big part of the effectiveness of the play was the fact that he was lined up off of the line of scrimmage, and that this prevented Pittsburgh from jamming him. That clean release, combined with the safety moving up, allowed DT to get wide open with no one between himself in the endzone.

So you're saying the Steelers were stupid enough to play press coverage on DT on 1st down with no safety help up top? Okay...

Agamemnon
01-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Exactly..... the steelers problem wasn't whether not the broncos had the right amount of guys on the line of scrimmage.... it was because the steelers had too many guys at the line of scrimmage

And the fact that even the guys not on the line of scrimmage were playing the run as well...

Mogulseeker
01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious! Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

Ike Taylor didn't have the best game, but he didn't have a whole lot of help with 9 in the box.

Archer81
01-10-2012, 05:34 PM
I think it is a little ridiculous that even with 9 guys in the box we still had 130 yards on the ground.

:Broncos:

Agamemnon
01-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Ike Taylor didn't have the best game, but he didn't have a whole lot of help with 9 in the box.

The Steelers pretty much never played with 9 in the box, especially on the downs we threw on (read any down other than 1st). They played a lot of Cover 1, which requires two corners on the outside and one safety deep. That leaves no more than 8 in the box.

cutthemdown
01-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Sorry but you have to be further off the line for them to call that. The let the outside guy be a little further back. That would only get called 1 out of 100 IMO.

cutthemdown
01-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Most times Steelers left a safety deep IMO. Sure they came up fast on the snap but they didn't play the whole game with safety's in the box. Even with a cover 1 though we can get a wr deep 1 on 1. No offense in the NFL can get as many 1 on 1 out of there 2 wr set as the Broncos can. Most teams spread the field to get those matchups, which kills the run game. In Denver we get them, and keep the run game. I'm starting to think that this college style offense can be deadly in the NFL.

barryr
01-10-2012, 06:27 PM
I have seen plenty of times in games around the NFL where it appears the OT is lined up too far away from the line of scrimmage, but it rarely called. Calling attention to this is simply grasping at straws. I bet if looking at some Steeler drives, their tackles are not right on the LOS either.

Mogulseeker
01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
There were 9 guys in the box on most first downs. I saw it... you're right about the cover-1, but thhey were still playing close to the line with Polomalu and their linebackers...

ant1999e
01-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Someone tell the Denver Post to STFU.

eddie mac
01-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Someone tell the Denver Post to STFU.

Exactly. Why on earth would a hometown paper even consider bringing this up in the first place. Are they that low on sales they have to try and somehow dampen the victory by attempting to portray it as unfairly gained???

I think their sales may drop a wee bit after that.