PDA

View Full Version : Downplaying

Peoples Champ
01-10-2012, 07:51 AM
All I have been hearing on sports radio/tv is everyone DOWNPLAYING Denvers win against the Steelers. I am hearing:

1) Unhealthy, big ben was immobile, if Ryan Clark was in that last play to Demaryous Thomas would never have happened, injuries for the steelers everywhere.

2) how did the steelers blow this game? How did they let Denvers favorite play and Tebows favorite play beat them in overtime?

3) all they had to do is take away the deep ball, and the 8-10 yards on the left side of the field for tebow to throw, and then the steelers would have won

I have heard many more then this, when will we ever get credit for a win? We were 8 point underdogs and we were up 20-6 at half, and coulda been 27-6 in the 3rd quarter without the inadvertent whistle play. If you ask me, Pittsburgh was lucky to be in the game and lucky that it was close at the end, it shoulda been a blowout.

Lets predict how they will down play Denvers win if we beat the Patriots this week, here are my guesses:

1) New Englands Defense stinks, anybody can put up numbers against them

2) .......you guys help post.

KS Bronco
01-10-2012, 07:56 AM
No one mentioned that Clark's replacement forced 2 fumbles

Kaylore
01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
I have heard mostly positive things. The only thing I hear is that infamous "but" after each compliment.

...The Steelers were depleted

...Can he do it again?

...It was at home

...It was all Demaryius

Peoples Champ
01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
All I have been hearing on sports radio/tv is everyone DOWNPLAYING Denvers win against the Steelers. I am hearing:

1) Unhealthy, big ben was immobile, if Ryan Clark was in that last play to Demaryous Thomas would never have happened, injuries for the steelers everywhere.

2) how did the steelers blow this game? How did they let Denvers favorite play and Tebows favorite play beat them in overtime?

3) all they had to do is take away the deep ball, and the 8-10 yards on the left side of the field for tebow to throw, and then the steelers would have won

I have heard many more then this, when will we ever get credit for a win? We were 8 point underdogs and we were up 20-6 at half, and coulda been 27-6 in the 3rd quarter without the inadvertent whistle play. If you ask me, Pittsburgh was lucky to be in the game and lucky that it was close at the end, it shoulda been a blowout.

Lets predict how they will down play Denvers win if we beat the Patriots this week, here are my guesses:

1) New Englands Defense stinks, anybody can put up numbers against them

2) .......you guys help post.

The Patriots were out of sync because of the 2 week off period, they were vulnerable and any team in the league could beat them coming off that long of break.

Peoples Champ
01-10-2012, 08:00 AM
I have heard mostly positive things. The only thing I hear is that infamous "but" after each compliment.

...The Steelers were depleted

...Can he do it again?

...It was at home

...It was all Demaryius

What about new england, can you think of any more "buts"

Shotgun Willie
01-10-2012, 08:03 AM
We're 2 TD underdogs to the Pats and we're on the road. The only way anyone could ever downplay this win is if it comes at the expense of Brady, Welker and Gronkowski all going down with injuries in the 1st quarter. That's it. If anyone tries to downplay it short of all those things happening, then they are clearly too stupid to breathe.

Kaylore
To be fair, if they had Mendenhall, a healthy Ben and their starting safety, I do think we lose this game.

CEH
IMO, this was a pure football win for Denver. THey made the plays and had calls and stuff go against them as well.

Great football game against a playoff proven tough team. We lined up against the bully who dared us to punch them in the face and Denver knocked the bully out.

Peoples Champ
01-10-2012, 08:05 AM
To be fair, if they had Mendenhall, a healthy Ben and their starting safety, I do think we lose this game.

Packers won the superbowl with 15 guys on IR, including starting running back and starting probowl tight end and starting safety, didnt hear excuses from those guys.

Plus, Big Ben's injury and Ryan Clark/ Pouncey being out was all announced during the week, and the spread was still at 8 points. Vegas adjusted the spread to 8 points after all of the injuries were takin into account.

Broncos_OTM
01-10-2012, 08:05 AM
i agree with you kaylore but winning inspires. Never underestimate the underdog in the fight. .. New England had better not look to the confernce championship game ...

jhns
01-10-2012, 08:08 AM
The injuries didn't stop them before the playoffs, unless they took them all in week 17. Also, this team has a ton of injuries too.

That safety isn't a good excuse, as he can't ever play here. It will be like that for a while as Tebow brings us more home playoff games.

3) How is that an excuse? You could say something similar about every game ever played. "If you played better defense, they wouldn't score so much!"

But no, I have actually heard many giving this team credit for beating a top defense. That defense remains good because they have depth. They had injuries in each of their latest SB runs, and overcame them. Even injured, they are still one of the better defenses.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2012, 08:09 AM
I don't want to jinx anything with the NE game.

But I did find it annoying that Denver's as injured as anyone and apparently the only injuries that matter were Pittsburgh's.

Peoples Champ
01-10-2012, 08:11 AM

But I did find it annoying that Denver's as injured as anyone and apparently the only injuries that matter were Pittsburgh's.

Right, we are without our leader on Defense in Dawkins, and missing a running back in Knowshon.

How many yards did the Steelers back up running back have? 115 plus?

What, mendenhall would have had 200?

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Packers won the superbowl with 15 guys on IR, including starting running back and starting probowl tight end and starting safety, didnt hear excuses from those guys.

Plus, Big Ben's injury and Ryan Clark/ Pouncey being out was all announced during the week, and the spread was still at 8 points. Vegas adjusted the spread to 8 points after all of the injuries were takin into account.

Vegas adjusts the spread to try to get people to vote on both sides. If money is going on one side, Vegas adjusts the spread to balance out the betting. It's a function of where the money is goiing.

Rohirrim
01-10-2012, 08:13 AM
I just hope Allen isn't distracted by this crap with the Rams. He needs to come up with a plan to contain Brady. If the Broncos play against the Pats with the same intensity they brought against the Steelers, they will find it easier to score, especially on the ground. Look for McGahee to chew up some yardage. But we must cool down Brady. He's their whole game.

WolfpackGuy
01-10-2012, 08:14 AM
The Broncos drafted SECOND overall less than a year ago.

They're not even supposed to be where they are.

jhns
01-10-2012, 08:14 AM

And we still win with Kuper, Decker, Moreno, Dawkins, etc...

Peoples Champ
01-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Vegas adjusts the spread to try to get people to vote on both sides. If money is going on one side, Vegas adjusts the spread to balance out the betting. It's a function of where the money is goiing.

Right, but do you think if Mendenhall, clark, Pouncey, and 100 percent big ben the spread would be higher? I think it would have been 11 or 12.

Peoples Champ
01-10-2012, 08:16 AM
The Broncos drafted SECOND overall less than a year ago.

They're not even supposed to be where they are.

exactly, thats why this win was so meaningful and amazing.

HAT
01-10-2012, 08:17 AM
I'll never understand why you guys get so worked up with what this or that talking head says or how much credit they give. Denver won & gets to play again....Pitt lost and went home. The msm can discredit Denver until the cows come home for all I care.

I swear this is more of a sports media discussion board than a Broncos one.

BroncoBeavis
01-10-2012, 08:18 AM

Yeah, they never talk about this season's leading receiver going down early in the game, leaving DT as the only true threat on the field.

The funny thing is these are the same punks who spent the last month saying 'all you have to do is put 9 in the box, and Tebow can't throw'

This is the natural consequence of putting 8 or 9 in the box, and the known benefit of having a run/pass threat QB.

WolfpackGuy
01-10-2012, 08:18 AM
If they want to downplay something, downplay the meaning of the Pats three Super Bowl wins because they were proven to be a bunch of cheating batches.

WTF did that get swept under the rug?

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Right, but do you think if Mendenhall, clark, Pouncey, and 100 percent big ben the spread would be higher? I think it would have been 11 or 12.

Initially. I think the initial spread is an assessment of analyzing the two teams combined with expected betting patters. Then subsequent spread adjustments are reactions to betting, which is sometimes affected by injury updates. Injury updates have an indirect effect.

CEH
01-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Kuper, Decker, Moreno and Dawkins out.

You know where Decker would have paid dues. Down near the end zone blocking. Go watch Willis's lame attempts to block and replace him with Decker and we score a TD instead of settling for a FG

Plus where was the in game adjustments by LeBeau right up to the last play of the game.

This was a total disrepect game played by Pittsburgh

Peoples Champ
01-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Initially. I think the initial spread is an assessment of analyzing the two teams combined with expected betting patters. Then subsequent spread adjustments are reactions to betting, which is sometimes affected by injury updates. Injury updates have an indirect effect.

So if Tom Brady injures himself in practice this week and is declared out against the broncos, they wont bring the spread down from 13?

WolfpackGuy
01-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Kuper, Decker, Moreno and Dawkins out.

You know where Decker would have paid dues. Down near the end zone blocking. Go watch Willis's lame attempts to block and replace him with Decker and we score a TD instead of settling for a FG

Don't forget the pass in the end zone that bounced right off Willis' numbers in the first half.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Yeah, they never talk about this season's leading receiver going down early in the game, leaving DT as the only true threat on the field.

The funny thing is these are the same punks who spent the last month saying 'all you have to do is put 9 in the box, and Tebow can't throw'

This is the natural consequence of putting 8 or 9 in the box, and the known benefit of having a run/pass threat QB.

Or what about losing Kuper? Him and Dawkins were probably the biggest losses. There is a big dropoff from Kuper to Hochstein. Suh has called Kuper the best lineman he's gone up against. Denver is a run heavy team that runs a lot at Kuper and they were going against the top ranked run defense in the NFL. You don't think going from Kuper to Hochstein mattered?

Or what about Dawkins? He's the QB of the defense and is one of the best tacklers in the NFL. He can be a liability on defense at times against the pass but once the started to get the hang of the defense, those instances were less and less. Bruton has stabilized the situation but still, losing Dawkins still hurts a lot.

Another loss that hurts Denver is Cassius Vaughn. He had his good moments and bad moments but when you watch Pittsburgh lineup in multiple WR sets constantly, I actually thought to myself it would have been nice to have Vaughn still...for depth, if nothing else. Bush and the other fill ins actually seemed to do a decent job...but you'd prefer to have guys who were higher on the depth chart.

Then for all the talk about Bens ankle, almost no mention is made of Von's thumb. Von probably would have had around 15 sacks if not for the injury. He went from that to being almost non-existent. If Ben and Von are both healthy, Von's athleticism can easily chase down Ben.

There was also one play where Green (the TE) missed a block on a Pittsburgh interior defensive lineman. You can't tell me that Larsen being out didn't hurt on that play and probably others.

...you could go on and on. It's all pretty stupid.

Another thing is, it's funny how Ryan Clark is suddenly talked about as if he's a great. He has his share of problems. Denver ran on first down 23 out of 24 time before that pass on 1st down in OT. The Steelers safeties were hardwired to help stop the run. They were around the LOS all game. The 23 out of 24 runs on 1st downs justifies this. There's no way you should assume Clark wouldn't have come up to help on the run given this.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2012, 08:36 AM
So if Tom Brady injures himself in practice this week and is declared out against the broncos, they wont bring the spread down from 13?

It would affect how people are betting, which, in turn, affects how they adjust the spread.

CEH
01-10-2012, 08:38 AM
How many ppl here before the game would say Big Ben will throw a pass into the end zone at the end and you can have one Bronco player (regardless of position be it a WR or DB) there to intercept it and most if not all would say I want it to be Champ and he flat out drops it

I think Champ makes up for it this week if they throw at him

Peoples Champ
01-10-2012, 08:38 AM
It would affect how people are betting, which, in turn, affects how they adjust the spread.

Exactly, injuries affects the betting, which affects the spread, so injuries affect the spread.

jhns
01-10-2012, 08:41 AM
How many ppl here before the game would say Big Ben will throw a pass into the end zone at the end and you can have one Bronco player (regardless of position be it a WR or DB) there to intercept it and most if not all would say I want it to be Champ and he flat out drops it

I think Champ makes up for it this week if they throw at him

It will be interesting to see how much Brady tests that this time around. Champ was key in endind a pretty epic playoff run by the Pats. He ended the dynasty.

Smiling Assassin27
01-10-2012, 08:45 AM
Brady was dealing with debilitating menstrual cramps.

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Exactly, injuries affects the betting, which affects the spread, so injuries affect the spread.

Well, I had said that before.

Powderaddict
01-10-2012, 08:50 AM
I love hearing the "buts".

Keep 'em coming. Tim Tebow is trolololollling the NFL :D

Peoples Champ
01-10-2012, 09:08 AM
I love hearing the "buts".

Keep 'em coming. Tim Tebow is trolololollling the NFL :D

Denver beats new england, butttttt Tom Brady had an off day

BroncoBeavis
01-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Or what about losing Kuper? Him and Dawkins were probably the biggest losses. There is a big dropoff from Kuper to Hochstein. Suh has called Kuper the best lineman he's gone up against. Denver is a run heavy team that runs a lot at Kuper and they were going against the top ranked run defense in the NFL. You don't think going from Kuper to Hochstein mattered?

I'd go along with everything you said. But the Decker thing happened right before their eyes during the game. I'd venture to guess he was the Broncos most widely known wide receiver (even though I'd put him down as our #2) But when it comes to talking injuries, you'll still only hear about the poor Steelers. I can't remember the season where our secondary remained completely intact through the end of the season. And here they are whining about one safety (and not even the one named Polamalu)

jmz313
01-10-2012, 09:17 AM
You play the 53 Guys on the other sideline. You either beat them, or you don't.

strafen
01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
To be fair, if they had Mendenhall, a healthy Ben and their starting safety, I do think we lose this game.If we've had a healthy Dawkins, Decker, Kuper I think we win this game... ;)

OrangeSe7en
01-10-2012, 09:39 AM
I'd go along with everything you said. But the Decker thing happened right before their eyes during the game. I'd venture to guess he was the Broncos most widely known wide receiver (even though I'd put him down as our #2) But when it comes to talking injuries, you'll still only hear about the poor Steelers. I can't remember the season where our secondary remained completely intact through the end of the season. And here they are whining about one safety (and not even the one named Polamalu)

I think losing a primary WR target can sometimes actually helps if it results in the QB scanning the field more. I also dont think Tebow and Decker have a great rapport. But still, it's not ideal to lose Decker. He also is solid at blocking in the run game.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-10-2012, 09:46 AM

I honestly dont think this is true because their issue was purely schematic. Do we really think Ryan Mundy is SO bad in coverage that Tomlin/LeBeau are like "eh, **** it, lets just play him close to the line instead?" They didnt think Tim could beat them deep to they consistently played cover-1/0 and they got beat doing it. Unless Ryan Clark runs a .5 40-yard-dash, his presence would have been irrelevant.

Isaac Redman rushed for a gazillion yards and Ben, while his first half was ****, seemed back to his old self by the second. He was making some pretty throws and escaping the pocket.

Also, this game had no business being as close as it was. Huge broncos miscues:

1) Thomas drop for a first down near the goal line
2) Willis' offensive PI near the goal line
3) McGahee's fumble
4) Champ's dropped int
5) The int called back by Doom's offsides
6) The lateral that wasn't

razorwire77
01-10-2012, 09:55 AM

I agree, but once you go down the "what if" rabbit hole where does it end. What if Decker didn't get hurt. What if Kuper didn't get hurt last week? What if Von Miller was healthy and able to bull rush effectively? What if Dawkins had played?

zdoor
01-10-2012, 10:04 AM
I actually think we'd a beat whoever the Steelers put out there Sunday....

cabronco
01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
I agree, but once you go down the "what if" rabbit hole where does it end. What if Decker didn't get hurt. What if Kuper didn't get hurt last week? What if Von Miller was healthy and able to bull rush effectively? What if Dawkins had played?

This ^.

Williams
01-10-2012, 10:35 AM
And we still win with Kuper, Decker, Moreno, Dawkins, etc...

This, exactly. Both teams had key players out/injured but that's usually how it goes in postseason play.

Nevertheless, this game may have turned into a blowout if the refs get the blown lateral call correct.