PDA

View Full Version : It's time for Fox to have faith in Tebow

Bronco Rob
01-02-2012, 05:04 AM
It's time for Fox to have faith in Tebow

Jen Floyd Engel
Updated Jan 2, 2012 2:49 AM ET

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted in spite of your changing moods." — C.S. Lewis.

This whole Broncos season has been about faith, "leaps of" and "keeping the" and mostly "putting theirs in," a phenomenon that defied logical football explanation, and oftentimes was done in spite of mounting evidence that such belief was folly.

Whatever you think of Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow, two incontrovertible facts remain:

1. The Broncos were a bad football team without a chance in hell of the playoffs before taking a leap of faith and starting him.

2. That faith has been rewarded in a playoff berth.*

Faith is a funny thing, though. Like a thought, it is easily lost, as was demonstrated Sunday in Denver.

Broncos coach John Fox played a coward's game in a 7-3 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. He never has seemed to particularly like the idea of Tebow as his quarterback, famously telling NFL.com "if we were trying to run a regular offense, he'd be screwed."

The wins only seemed to chip at this belief slightly. Sunday, though, with a playoff berth on the line, Fox called plays like he does not believe his quarterback can throw. He coached like his team was screwed. He coached like he did not have faith in his quarterback.

If Fox does not, he should not play Tebow in Sunday's playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

And if Fox does not believe, he is an idiot.*

My stance on Tebow has not changed all season. I do not know if he will be a great quarterback, or even a good one. What I know is he has an intangible that defies explanations. He finds ways to win. And I would not bet against him.

Let me add this to my list: If Tebow is your quarterback, you have to give him a game plan with a chance of success.

And this brings us back to faith. If Denver is to have any chance Sunday against Pittsburgh, Fox has to display faith in Tebow even though current conditions would suggest against doing so. Let's be real, Tebow was awful Sunday. They lost to an awful Chiefs team because he was somehow worse. Tebowmania became Tebowmelancholia rather quickly.

It was not new. The Broncos are losers of their past three games in large part because Tebow is 30 for 73 with one touchdown pass.

As my mom loved to say, faith isn't faith until it is all you are holding onto — which, coincidentally, is exactly where the Broncos find themselves after crawfishing into the playoffs.

The Chiefs were horrible. The Broncos were worse. And the Raiders were themselves in losing to the Chargers.

Only Oakland ineptitude allowed Denver in, and always-honest Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey properly summed up chances of success based on what was displayed Sunday.

"For us to go out there and play like we did and expect to do anything in the playoffs, it's not going to cut it," Bailey said. "We have to find a way to get better."

“What has to improve?” Bailey was asked, even though the answer was as obvious as it was unlikely to be verbalized.

"Everything," Bailey continued. "When we look at our team, we can't say 'This is our strength' because everything is mediocre. It's got to get better. If you want to make any kind of fuss in the playoffs, we have to get better."

It was at this point Broncos public relations booted the media from the locker room. The Oakland loss had just become official and Fox wanted to address his team. What he probably told them was, "Everything Champ said, do not say that," because upon our reentry there was a lot of talk about how making the tournament is a big deal and it does not matter how they got in and how they have a chance.

"Absolutely," Broncos linebacker Mario Haggan said. "If I do not believe that, then I should not play next week."

Somebody needs to tattoo this on Fox's butt. Coach like you have a chance to win.

The essence of football — sports, really — is belief that the impossible is possible. This is how the four-minute mile was run, how the Mavericks beat the Heat, how the Cardinals won the World Series.

The Broncos' problem may indeed be the quarterback. It is not the only problem or the biggest at the moment.

That is Fox himself. So Tebow has been bad lately? What are the Broncos going to do? Tuck their tails and run into eight-man fronts to no avail and lose 7-3? Or is he going to put his tee in the ground and take a whack?

The truth is Bailey was wrong. The Broncos are not mediocre at everything. It was hard to tell from Sunday, but this defense is damn good. They came up with big plays in what everybody calls TebowTime to give Tebow a chance for his patented magic. And Broncos running back Willis McGahee has been in absolute beast mode despite facing eight men in the box.

The cheap second guess is to say "What if Denver had a better quarterback?" Which is funny because the Broncos did, or at least one many like to pretend is better in Kyle Orton, and they were worse. You cannot explain it, but this team got better under Tebow. Orton was across the line of scrimmage Sunday, playing for KC, thus leading to comparisons. The accuracy and look of the passes were better, as were his numbers: 15 of 29 for 180 yards, vs. Tebow's 6 of 22 for 60 yards.

But the Broncos have won with Tebow. The players know this, too, as crazy as it probably is to them as well.

"We have to believe in Tim Tebow," defensive end Elvis Dumervil said.

Belief is not easy. Oh sure, it is easy when the Broncos were winning and during the fourth-quarter comebacks and when the W's rolled up. It is not as easy now as he struggles to complete even the safe stuff, as his usual magic runs were swallowed by a patient Chiefs defense that had the good sense just to wait for him to come to them.

It is not easy to believe. Cynicism is our religion. Mocking tweets began as soon as the game ended.

The cynicism that is killing them is coming from their coach. You cannot win in this league if you do not have faith in your quarterback. You certainly cannot if you coach like a coward.

You have to coach like you believe your team is capable of greatness. And if you cannot do that, you need to try just having a little faith.

*Two quick addendums:

(1) Making the playoffs is not a small thing. It is an accomplishment however you get in because not everybody does. It is easy to dismiss the Broncos and they may indeed get rolled. But they have a chance, which is more than a lot of other teams can say.

(2) Idiot may seem harsh. But if Fox does not appreciate that Tebow is a big reason why the Broncos are in the playoffs, this applies. The reality is they became a playoff team with him. They started winning once he played. To dismiss this as a coincidence is idiotic and reeks of an agenda.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tim-Tebow-Denver-Broncos-John-Fox-must-have-faith-in-quarterback-010112

KevinJames
01-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Its time for Tebow to have faith in Tebow, he looks scared to throw it down the field after those INTs.

I do think we will give him more throws because Pitt is going to make it hard to run. He is going to have to have more faith in himself and more confidence throwing the football because he seems lost at times, and the playcalling has to get more creative.

We got a chance to beat the Steelers hopefully we can come up with a good gameplan because Pitt does have issues.

Bronco_Beerslug
01-02-2012, 05:10 AM
He never has seemed to particularly like the idea of Tebow as his quarterback, famously telling NFL.com "if we were trying to run a regular offense, he'd be screwed.
Can't argue with that considering he can't run any offense the last few weeks.

Jesterhole
01-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Look, with the play calling as terrible as it was yesterday, what did you expect? Guys like Tebow need to get into a groove to play well. How many offensive series would he go out there and not even get a pass play called? They didn't let him throw it in the 4th quarter until the very last drive. By then, it was too late.

McCoy deserves most of the blame for the loss yesterday. If he remains on the staff, we might as well trade Tebow, because McCoy's middle school style offense isn't going to let him develop.

Oh, and Decker and Willis completely let down Tebow AGAIN, and no one mentions it.

Inkana7
01-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Look, with the play calling as terrible as it was yesterday, what did you expect? Guys like Tebow need to get into a groove to play well. How many offensive series would he go out there and not even get a pass play called? They didn't let him throw it in the 4th quarter until the very last drive. By then, it was too late.

McCoy deserves most of the blame for the loss yesterday. If he remains on the staff, we might as well trade Tebow, because McCoy's middle school style offense isn't going to let him develop.

Oh, and Decker and Willis completely let down Tebow AGAIN, and no one mentions it.

Yeah no one here ever blames the receivers. Cmon man. Tebow played like dog**** yesterday. It doesn't matter how conservative a game plan is if the quarterback can't complete a pass.

MacGruder
01-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Don't people understand that the defense and run game look great BECAUSE of Tebow?

The run game looks good because of the pressure Tebow creates running the ball.

So this allows Fox to run the ball so successfully. Fox running the ball is what allows the Broncos D to rest and also takes the opposing offense out of rhythm.

So if Fox let's Tebow open it up.. guess what... then the Broncos D dramatically deteriorates. And because the Broncos have such a weak offense they end up getting screwed again because they don't have the fire power for a shoot out.

It's not the Tebow that has been exposed.. it's the whole offense. Tebow just masked that.

But imagine if Tebow actually had some really good runningbacks.. imagine if McGahee could play like he did earlier in the season all season without getting injured. Imagine if the Broncos had a better 1st string runner with someone like McGahee as backup... The Broncos run game would be unstoppable with Tebow. And this would open the passing game.

Bronco Rob
01-02-2012, 07:05 AM

:strong:

strafen
01-02-2012, 07:09 AM
It's time to realize Tebow is not going to make is as a QB in the NFL.
I'm a big fan of his, but what I've seen so far, tells my guts that he's not what I thought he would be.

Unless you've seen something different all season, then explain to me why I may be wrong...

Broncbow

^This

barryr
Receivers dropping balls might be a result of them not into any kind of rhythm offensively either. Teams like the Packers, Lions, and the Pats who use the passing game more than the run usually do not have a big problem with dropped balls, especially late in games.

MacGruder
01-02-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm a big fan of his, but what I've seen so far, tells my guts that he's not what I thought he would be.

Unless you've seen something different all season, then explain to me why I may be wrong...

You are wrong because Fox makes all QBs look terrible.. add that to the fact that Tebow LOOKS bad but is highly effective and you have Tebow LOOKING terrible yet has his team in the playoffs.

Look at Vince Young's stats his first season.. it was a lot like Tebow... Now yes Vicne isn't a QB.. but he also isn't Tebow. Vince's problems were his mental issues and lack of work ethic and leadership.

Rohirrim
01-02-2012, 07:21 AM
I think if we get a new coach, Tebow will start connecting on all of his passes.

Bronco Rob
01-02-2012, 07:25 AM
I think if we get a new coach, Tebow will start connecting on all of his passes.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oShTJ90fC34" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:sunshine:

MacGruder
01-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Hell.. Tebow was much better even under Studesville.

If McD was still coach Brandon Lloyd probably wouldn't have asked to be traded... If Tebow had Lloyd Lloyd would demand double teams which would open the entire offense..

Rohirrim
01-02-2012, 07:31 AM
I agree with the OP; Fox is not showing enough faith in Tebow. Sure, he gave him the starting spot, changed the entire offense to suit Tebow's game in midseason, and then waived Orton, but is that really enough? Tebow was great in college.

MacGruder
01-02-2012, 07:34 AM
I agree with the OP; Fox is not showing enough faith in Tebow. Sure, he gave him the starting spot, changed the entire offense to suit Tebow's game in midseason, and then waived Orton, but is that really enough? Tebow was great in college.

This is a total myth..

All Fox changed was the run game.. which is all Fox wants to really use offensively.

Fox made Orton look his worst for the same reason.

Fox's entire philosophy is to rely on the defense and run game even though they aren't good enough to rely on. Probably because he has no clue how to coach offense.. why do you think he never has a decent QB?

The only thing that made this work was Tebow's stellar running ability.

Bob's your Information Minister
01-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Never let women write about sports.

Christ.

elsid13
01-02-2012, 07:35 AM

SEC > NFL

01-02-2012, 07:39 AM
What a dumb broad. I'm laughing my ass off over here.

Spider
01-02-2012, 07:39 AM

^5

Ironlung
01-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Receivers dropping balls might be a result of them not into any kind of rhythm offensively either. Teams like the Packers, Lions, and the Pats who use the passing game more than the run usually do not have a big problem with dropped balls, especially late in games.

To be fair, those teams have nfl caliber receivers.

Dagmar
01-02-2012, 08:07 AM

So are we, how is your off season loser?

Br0nc0Buster
01-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Perhaps Tebow should believe in himself and actually throw the ball

Instead of running around waiting for someone to break wide open

As awful as McCoy is, there are guys open at times
Tebow just refuses to throw it to them

KevinJames
01-02-2012, 08:15 AM
You are wrong because Fox makes all QBs look terrible.. add that to the fact that Tebow LOOKS bad but is highly effective and you have Tebow LOOKING terrible yet has his team in the playoffs.

Look at Vince Young's stats his first season.. it was a lot like Tebow... Now yes Vicne isn't a QB.. but he also isn't Tebow. Vince's problems were his mental issues and lack of work ethic and leadership.

Fox made Jake Delhomme look pretty damn good for awhile.

Bronco Rob
01-02-2012, 08:33 AM
So are we, how is your off season loser?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qn2S7fq_p1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hilarious!

theAPAOps5
01-02-2012, 08:38 AM

Sir, being rational and realistic is not allowed with these kiddies.

riiiiick
01-02-2012, 09:03 AM

It seems to me, TT has beaten every pro defense they have thrown at him until this contain rush, keep him in the pocket D. There must be a play he can run to perfection against this D??? Find it and the future looks good, don't and his days are numbered in denver.

01-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Lowest completion percentage for an 11-game starter since 1963.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/408034_318112401545011_116476271708626_1095784_529 121900_n.jpg

Peoples Champ
01-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Lowest completion percentage for an 11-game starter since 1963.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/408034_318112401545011_116476271708626_1095784_529 121900_n.jpg

Until the last few games it didnt matter about the completion percentage. It was an overrated stat because tebow was still efficient with 11 passing TDs and only 2 picks. He could go 2 of 8 and still win, as long as one of those TDs was a clutch 50 yard bomb TD.

Now that Tebow is really struggling, he is not efficient. He isnt throwing TDs like he was in the win streak, and now he has thrown 4 picks. He needs to fix this or he is gone.

BroncoBeavis
01-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Fox made Jake Delhomme look pretty damn good for awhile.

Steve Smith might've had a little something to do with it. We have nothing resembling Steve Smith in his prime.

Vine
01-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Perhaps Tebow should believe in himself and actually throw the ball

Instead of running around waiting for someone to break wide open

As awful as McCoy is, there are guys open at times
Tebow just refuses to throw it to them

I 100% agree. Tebow is allowed to throw so rarely that when he finally is allowed to throw, he looks totally lost. It is the coaches that must allow Tebow an opportunity to get into a rhythm. Which is why Denver will lose to Pittsburgh probably by a score of 13-3.

MacGruder
01-02-2012, 09:57 AM
27.3: Tim Tebow’s completion percentage Sunday, the lowest for any quarterback with at least 20 attempts in a game (per Pro-Football-Reference.com) since Carolina’s Jake Delhomme completed only seven of 27 passes for a touchdown and four interceptions at Oakland on Nov. 9, 2008.

Peoples Champ
01-02-2012, 10:04 AM
27.3: Tim Tebow’s completion percentage Sunday, the lowest for any quarterback with at least 20 attempts in a game (per Pro-Football-Reference.com) since Carolina’s Jake Delhomme completed only seven of 27 passes for a touchdown and four interceptions at Oakland on Nov. 9, 2008.

i get it, he had a bad game. He has had 3 bad games in a row. He needs to turn it around or he could be gone next year.

barryr
01-02-2012, 10:08 AM

Fox was the coach for that game too. Coincidence?

MacGruder
01-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Exactly!

Only DelHomme doesn't have the impact on the running game Tebow does. That makes it even tougher on Tebow because you know fox will ride thatrun game until the wheels fall off.

NFLBRONCO
01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
This offense is exactly what Fox wants to run period. If you want more offense beg for a new HC.

ChampJesusBailey
01-02-2012, 11:09 AM
This is Foxball.

I think it's more 50/50 in regards to blame between Tebow and the play calling. The offensive scheme puts him in bad spots a lot of time to have to throw the ball, but Tebow also has not been nearly good enough when he has to throw it. So if I am McCoy/Fox, do I really want to open the offense up more?

What I would like to see is more early down passes, even short ones just to open defenses up and get the receivers/Tebow into a rhythm. But it always seems to be run run run punt or run run pass punt. Why not something a little less predictable? It's a lot easier for teams to defend the pass when it's 3rd and long and they know a pass is probably coming.

Also, personnel is an issue. We have a very average group of receivers. Thomas is young and inconsistent and Decker just seems to give up a lot of times.

Smilin Assassin
01-02-2012, 11:19 AM
A four game win streak.

That's what we need.

"Not with THAT QB!" (Bah. He's already won 6 in a row)

"We never played defenses like this!" (Chicago, NY and even Minny had solid D's)

"We needed miracle KRs, INTs and FGs to beat those teams!" (and we got them, any given sunday..)

The 2011 season is over. The playoffs are a whole other animal. Yes, it would have been nice to storm into the playoffs, dominating everyone in our path.

We didn't, but the earlier wins got us in the tourney.

A four game win streak.

That's what we need.

peacepipe
01-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Receivers dropping balls might be a result of them not into any kind of rhythm offensively either. Teams like the Packers, Lions, and the Pats who use the passing game more than the run usually do not have a big problem with dropped balls, especially late in games.having a legitiment QB has alot to do with that.

Agamemnon
01-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I don't give a **** what Fox does. I just want him gone. I don't see the Tebow thing working with him as the coach so that whole thing is moot at this point. But as long as Fox is our head coach we are ****ed. Period.

Bronco Rob
01-02-2012, 01:22 PM
A four game win streak.

That's what we need.

"We never played defenses like this!" (Chicago, NY and even Minny had solid D's)

"We needed miracle KRs, INTs and FGs to beat those teams!" (and we got them, any given sunday..)

The 2011 season is over. The playoffs are a whole other animal. Yes, it would have been nice to storm into the playoffs, dominating everyone in our path.

A four game win streak.

That's what we need.

:sunshine:

barryr
01-02-2012, 01:35 PM
having a legitiment QB has alot to do with that.

Yeah, dropped balls only happen because of the QB :giggle:

Dagmar
01-02-2012, 01:36 PM
A four game win streak.

That's what we need.

A four game win streak.

That's what we need.

:strong:

Bronco Rob
01-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah, dropped balls only happen because of the QB :giggle:

booooooooooo

Bronx33
01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
A four game win streak.

That's what we need.

A four game win streak.

That's what we need.

Your ok for a dirty rotten wings fan.

Jetmeck
01-02-2012, 10:51 PM

I laughed myself silly watching your pathetic team writhe in pain all year long, thoroughly enjoying their discomfort and total embarassment.

You'd trade positions in a minute so roll your opinion up and shove it straight up your fat ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronx33
01-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Never let women write about sports.

Christ.

What was your excuse then?

Archer81
01-02-2012, 11:00 PM
The staff does need to trust Tebow with more in the passing game. That said, Tebow has to display he is worthy of the trust by getting whatever is called completed. They need to develop a rythm, know the situation and what play fits it best.

Until then, we will be pulling our hair out.

:Broncos:

Bronx33
01-02-2012, 11:03 PM
The staff does need to trust Tebow with more in the passing game. That said, Tebow has to display he is worthy of the trust by getting whatever is called completed. They need to develop a rythm, know the situation and what play fits it best.

Until then, we will be pulling our hair out.

I really think the play calling lacks rhythm and it rubs off on the players and their execution.

Archer81
01-02-2012, 11:08 PM
I really think the play calling lacks rhythm and it rubs off on the players and their execution.

Run on first, run on second, pass on third is predictable. Any QB would have a hard time making that work. We are told constantly that its easier to pass on first downs, simply because defenses are usually more simple on that down. Yet we run. Or running it 7 straight times and no PA or bootlegs on the 8th play. Be sudden, mix things up. Shanahan was able to make offense happen with nearly any QB and WR's he had here. He schemed to put them in the best position to make plays and he schemed to protect offensive weaknesses. Our offensive line is not great at the traditional pass protection. That was true with Orton and remains so with Tebow...so move the ****ing pocket.

Gawd...

MacGruder
01-02-2012, 11:16 PM
This issue I think is that the Oline can not protect the QB.. they couldn't protect Orton and they can't protect Tebow.

This is the real reason why I think Fox said Tebow would be screwed in a conventional offense...

The running game probably isn't as good as it looks either.. it's just they run all game like Jay3 said I believe.

Bronx33
01-02-2012, 11:16 PM
I see so many times where the opposing D is prime for a sweep or a screen a bootleg and we opt to run up the middle its frustrating to watch or coaches do this game after game.

MacGruder
01-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I see so many times where the opposing D is prime for a sweep or a screen a bootleg and we opt to run up the middle its frustrating to watch or coaches do this game after game.

But see.. this gets back to the other issue.. Fox is playing a style that caters to his defense.. I honestly don't think he WANTS to score or move the ball too fast. I think he wants to eat clock and slow the game down to slow the opposing offense down to help his defense and force turnovers.

Mouth
01-02-2012, 11:25 PM
But see.. this gets back to the other issue.. Fox is playing a style that caters to his defense.. I honestly don't think he WANTS to score or move the ball too fast. I think he wants to eat clock and slow the game down to slow the opposing offense down to help his defense and force turnovers.

Welcome to foxball. It won us 8 games, and we'll see how far it gets us. If you want to be honest about it, our D really DOES need the help.

Mouth

MacGruder
01-02-2012, 11:28 PM
This is why I think it's crazy to judge Tebow by his stats.. he's only playing aggressive in very small portions of the game.. and in those situations he is in no win situations because he and the offense have no rhythm and the offense is so predictable.

Mouth
01-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Hopefully the steelers will play zone against us. I am not sure they have the CB's to play man to man.

Mouth

Archer81
01-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Hopefully the steelers will play zone against us. I am not sure they have the CB's to play man to man.

Mouth

I'm more worried about Polamalu than any other Steeler defender. He guesses right an awful lot. It puts alot of pressure on Clark, especially when we uncap our single play action pass.

Mouth
01-02-2012, 11:44 PM
I'm more worried about Polamalu than any other Steeler defender. He guesses right an awful lot. It puts alot of pressure on Clark, especially when we uncap our single play action pass.

I agree Troy is a problem....... upon being unable to find anything good to say about playing against him ....... that is all.

Mouth

Armchair Bronco
01-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Fox has never and will never believe in Tebow. So EFX should trade him in the offseason and move on.

MacGruder
01-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Fox has never and will never believe in Tebow. So EFX should trade him in the offseason and move on.

I also think that Fox is unwilling or unable to adapt to Tebow.. so it's not so much he doesn't believe in him.. it's that he just has no idea what to do with him. But you will never hear these NFL people admit it has anything to do with them.. it's Tebow's problem not theirs.

The only thing Foz adapted to was the run portion of what Tebow did in college because that is conducive to what Fox wants to do and doesn't disrupt it or make his defense look bad.

Fox even forced Orton to try to adapt to his system even though it wasn't successful.

Armchair Bronco
01-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Folks, our head coach was 1-15 last year and he started off 1-4 in Denver. He's an ultra conservative retread with no imagination whatsoever, at least on offense. He so conservative that he'd rather punt at the end of the half than let the best kicker in the NFL try a 57 harder.

A coach like this is incapable of retooling anything to take full advantage of Tebow...or any other player with a unique skill set.

Shotgun Willie
01-03-2012, 06:16 AM

3 and outs running the ball burns a whole lot less clock than passing for first downs does......just sayin.

Armchair Bronco
01-03-2012, 07:08 AM
3 and outs running the ball burns a whole lot less clock than passing for first downs does......just sayin.

Good point!

A 3 and out with a punt uses, what? Maybe 1 minute and 40 seconds, give or take?

Get a first down with a pass, and you'll chew up at least 2:30.

Obviously, this bit of mental math is beyond the abilities of John Fox and proves that his conservative philosophy is just a smoke screen.

Mouth
01-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Good point!

A 3 and out with a punt uses, what? Maybe 1 minute and 40 seconds, give or take?

Get a first down with a pass, and you'll chew up at least 2:30.

Obviously, this bit of mental math is beyond the abilities of John Fox and proves that his conservative philosophy is just a smoke screen.

An incompletion on 1st down, 2nd down and 3rd down takes about 0:25 off the clock. Three 1 yard runs take off 1:45.

Mouth

dbfan4life
01-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Someone said it already but Tebow looked scared everytime he dropped back to pass. For once, I would like to see a well executed pass play. All I see is Tebow dropping back, look lost in his reads and scramble while his receivers are forced to adjust their routes. There is no continuity in the offense because Tebow can't execute. Tebow's lack of attempts is not because Fox doesn't want Tim to throw, it's because everytime Tim drops back to throw, he looks lost.

Armchair Bronco
01-03-2012, 07:17 AM
An incompletion on 1st down, 2nd down and 3rd down takes about 0:25 off the clock. Three 1 yard runs take off 1:45.

Mouth

Who said we need to pass on every down? A 5 yard pass on 1st down in the middle of the field takes up as much time as a run up the gut for 2 yards.

Mouth
01-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Who said we need to pass on every down? A 5 yard pass on 1st down in the middle of the field takes up as much time as a run up the gut for 2 yards.

Right, but it isn't a guarantee that it will be a completion. Every run is 35 seconds off the clock all day every day and 70 times on Sunday. BTW this is not me agreeing with the gameplan, just trying to explain it.

Mouth

oubronco
01-03-2012, 07:29 AM
This issue I think is that the Oline can not protect the QB.. they couldn't protect Orton and they can't protect Tebow.

This is the real reason why I think Fox said Tebow would be screwed in a conventional offense...

The running game probably isn't as good as it looks either.. it's just they run all game like Jay3 said I believe.

Tebow took the pitch back from running back Willis McGahee​ and saw a deep safety helping to cover wide receiver Demaryius Thomas​. Tebow held the ball for a few moments before tossing it out of bounds to the right sideline. Meanwhile, Decker was uncovered to the left.

"They did a good job of eliminating that play," Decker said of the Chiefs. "I don't know what (Tebow) saw."

Read more: Broncos running into trouble without a passing game - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19663151#ixzz1iPPsWimX
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

edog24
01-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Tebow took the pitch back from running back Willis McGahee​ and saw a deep safety helping to cover wide receiver Demaryius Thomas​. Tebow held the ball for a few moments before tossing it out of bounds to the right sideline. Meanwhile, Decker was uncovered to the left.

"They did a good job of eliminating that play," Decker said of the Chiefs. "I don't know what (Tebow) saw."

Read more: Broncos running into trouble without a passing game - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19663151#ixzz1iPPsWimX
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Decker probably would have just ran out of bounds after acting like he tried to catch and then shaking his head in front of the camera. That seems to be his routine now.

The Steelers can cover Royal with Mendenhall at corner probably, he has one good knee so that is all he needs to keep up with Eddie, plus all you have to do is check Eddie at the line and he is done.

If they have a pretty cheerleader that is probably enough to distract Decker from one stepping the catch college style. DT may have a big game but they can put the best talent on him so I am not positive on that front either.

That leaves us with 7 yard deep swing passes to Jeremiah Johnson and Willis falling into the pile on 1st and 2nd down. I think I will switch to coffee instead of beer for the first half of this game.