PDA

View Full Version : McCoy's playcalling

broncobum6162
01-01-2012, 06:58 PM
My thoughts exactly as I watched this poor excuse of a game today....
A good read from Mile High Report! (yea, I know he's a snowboarding coach but I think a lot of the parallels are the valid)

http://www.milehighreport.com/2012/1/1/2675162/coaches-corner-mike-mccoy-is-a-freaking-idiot

Another good play by play breakdown of the game

http://www.milehighreport.com/2012/1/1/2675710/where-the-playcalling-went-wrong-week-17-kc-edition

Jetmeck
01-01-2012, 07:13 PM
A good read from Mile High Report!

http://www.milehighreport.com/2012/1/1/2675162/coaches-corner-mike-mccoy-is-a-freaking-idiot

this

ghwk
01-01-2012, 07:14 PM
That was a joke. This guy is a SNOWBOARD coach which translates as an absolute ZERO to football. Hey I'm a little league coach let me tell these guys how to call plays and run an organization.

Want to know why he's a joke? Because snowboarding is an individual sport, it's not a team sport. HUGE difference. This guy knows nothing about the strengths and weaknesses of each individual and how that affects a play or the team or how they try to design plays to hide weaknesses or use strengths. His opinion is relevant to his sport only.

Vine
01-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Great article. I'm bookmarking it, as it clearly sums up how I feel about this fiasco.

Spider
01-01-2012, 07:26 PM
A good read from Mile High Report!

what in the hell did I just read ? did this guy compare snowboarding to the NFL ?

ghwk
01-01-2012, 07:26 PM
what in the hell did I just read ? did this guy compare snowboarding to the NFL ?

Yeah and Vine is all in! Hilarious!

Requiem
01-01-2012, 07:27 PM
As soon as Tebow ran the ball on 3 & 7 on our first drive, I knew we were in for a long day. Shameful.

Bronx33
01-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Snowboarding coach but he has good points concerning mcCoy our guys are playing like they dont believe in the system..

Spider
01-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah and Vine is all in! Hilarious!

LOL well Vine buying that doesnt surprise me .........

OrangeSe7en
01-01-2012, 07:31 PM

You shouldn't even be reading that anyway. You should stick to childrens books.

GreatBronco16
01-01-2012, 07:33 PM

No he didn't compare the two. It was a bad reference as to why he thinks he's qualified to say what he said. He would have been better off just leaving that out of the article IMO.

BUT, he does make some valid points about coaching and the lack thereof from McCoy.

Spider
01-01-2012, 07:35 PM
You shouldn't even be reading that anyway. You should stick to childrens books.

oh Jeez butt hurt teboner is lashing out ..... you sure got me good Hilarious!

Spider
01-01-2012, 07:37 PM
No he didn't compare the two. It was a bad reference as to why he thinks he's qualified to say what he said. He would have been better off just leaving that out of the article IMO.

BUT, he does make some valid points about coaching and the lack thereof from McCoy.

well if football was an individual sport , maybe , I get the gist of what he is saying , but it just doesnt fit in a team sport , specially with timing routes and a qb that is hesitant .......

Lestat
01-01-2012, 07:43 PM
his play calling was interesting but it wasn't as if the players were adeptly executing the plays with significant efficiency either.

BroncoMan4ever
01-01-2012, 11:26 PM
i don't understand how McCoy doesn't think to use play action passing a lot more often.

good things would come from it. Tebow throws better on the move, defenses are dropping 7, 8, 9 guys in the box to stop the run so our receivers are riding single or no coverage on a lot of these plays. by getting Tebow on the move making these types of throws he builds up his confidence. Tebow has shown improvement until the last few weeks passing the ball, but he is not going to become a prototype pocket passer this season. so work to his strengths in the passing game.

McCoy needs to pull his head out of his ass or, we are going to get embarassed next week, just like against, Detroit, Green Bay, New England and Buffalo.

Doggcow
01-01-2012, 11:30 PM
i don't understand how McCoy doesn't think to use play action passing a lot more often.

good things would come from it. Tebow throws better on the move, defenses are dropping 7, 8, 9 guys in the box to stop the run so our receivers are riding single or no coverage on a lot of these plays. by getting Tebow on the move making these types of throws he builds up his confidence. Tebow has shown improvement until the last few weeks passing the ball, but he is not going to become a prototype pocket passer this season. so work to his strengths in the passing game.

McCoy needs to pull his head out of his ass or, we are going to get embarassed next week, just like against, Detroit, Green Bay, New England and Buffalo.

Because he's NOT a good OC.

SoCalBronco
01-01-2012, 11:38 PM

We're running some PA, but Tebow is hesitating too much with his read. It's a bang-bang thing, you've got to make the read quickly and accurately for the timing to match up and the window will only be there momentarily. The plays aren't going to change the hesitation. It's about information recognition and the time it takes to recognize and decide.

Now there are still some issues with playcalling regardless of that, and I think that's mainly formationing problems. We've got to have tendency breakers in our offense. I've been b****ing about this for awhile. You can't come out in a formation and the defense can automatically know, down to 2 or 3 plays what's coming. The shotgun formations they use to run option out of are almost always the same. There's someone DIRECTLY BEHIND Tebow in the gun(a semi-pistol look almost) and one offset. That tips the defense off to the option and they also know the strongside. You can determine which possible option plays are likely depending on which side the offset guy lines up on and they can adjust their front to make sure they've covered each assignment.

Same deal on 3rd and short to medium. When its empty we know almost to a certainty that its going to be a draw play, because they don't run bubble screens to force LB's to vacate the box and cover down on slot recievers. Same thing in the 4 X 1 shotgun formation, we know almost always its going to be an isolation play to the 1 WR side.

Same deal on 2 TE 1 back under center formations. We know its going to be a dive right or dive left behind one of the guards. So if the defense went with a Bear front against this with both guards and the center covered, they'd eat up the run everytime.

Same deal on any under center formation generally. There is a very high percentage of run. Now that's partly out of necessity since we can't dropback pass even if we wanted to, but you've got to find some core dropback passes when you self-scout your offense that you execute well and go to them from these sets. There simply HAS to be some certain passes he is comfortable with. You go back and self-scout, count the passes you've thrown, the specific combos, and see which you've thrown relatively well and you go with that against PIT. We don't have the luxury of picking out passes that would work well against the coverages they run most often. We've got to self scout and find out what we've done even remotely well this year in the pass game and go with that and we've got to mix up formations.

BroncoMan4ever
01-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Because he's NOT a good OC.

even a ****ty OC would see that though.

i watched today's game with my girlfriend who knows nothing about football. and even she seriously asked me, "why doesn't he throw it?" she didn't know the proper terminology, but she saw that almost the entire KC Defense was stacked 8 or 9 deep in the box and that passing the ball would be a good idea.

GreatBronco16
01-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Defenses are stacking the box, and going man press coverage against our WR. The problem is, our WR can't break free in a timely manner most of the time. Ofcourse Tebow is missing WRs at times when they do get open, but most of the time they are breaking open because Tebow has to scramble out because of the protection breakdown.

Our WRs are getting beat to death at the line, and any timing routes that are set up, are no longer timing because of the corners completly knocking them off their marks. Normally the TEs would be used to soften that coverage up, but our TEs are mostly staying in to help block.

Look at the one play where Tebow found Fells today in the middle of the field. He found the hole in the coverage quickly since he wasn't staying in to block, and Tebow found him with ease. After that, the TEs stayed in to block.

Royal is too small to break out of press coverage. Decker seems like he isn't strong enough for it, and Thomas just isn't quick enough.....could be his injury, or maybe not. But our WR suck at press coverage, and the Chiefs, Bills and Pats have all done that the last three weeks. And Pitt will do it next Sunday.

Kaylore
01-01-2012, 11:53 PM
We need to call more pass plays so we can see Tebow drop back, stare blankly down field, do some spin moves and then get sacked. Those are the things that move an offense down the field.

GreatBronco16
01-01-2012, 11:57 PM
We need to call more pass plays so we can see Tebow drop back, stare blankly down field, do some spin moves and then get sacked. Those are the things that move an offense down the field.

::)

NUB
01-02-2012, 12:10 AM
About six years ago we had a mobile QB, a good run game, a mobile perhaps undersized offensive line, and one-trick receivers.

How did Shanahan deal with these assets?

He cut the field in half. He ran playaction bootlegs left and right, had fullbacks/TEs doing underneath crosses and receivers going long or intermediate. Very simple, very easy to execute, very hard to defend.

Denver was, at some points, running 5+ yards clips today, but our receivers had defensive jerseys glued to their backs. What's the answer? Have Tebow do the same fake he always does, duck his head forward, and then go looking for someone on the fly route or the occasional cross. Sure, sometimes he has someone open, but a lot of the times he doesn't. A lot. Over and over. To the point where I do not understand how a rational human being can call these plays repeatedly and expect a different result.

And what's really horrific is, ironically, when something works. Say, a QB-draw on 3rd down. Oh jeez. Then we will be doing that play repeatedly and getting stuffed. Or a running-back toss. Hey it worked. Let's do it again! And again! And into next week! And into next week!

I cannot put into words how much I dislike McCoy's playcalling. Him and McDaniels are cut from the same cloth when it comes to gameplanning. The one thing I miss about Shanahan more than anything was his ability to be unpredictable and take average players and make them look great. McCoy... ... ... .. ..

GreatBronco16
01-02-2012, 12:22 AM
About six years ago we had a mobile QB, a good run game, a mobile perhaps undersized offensive line, and one-trick receivers.

How did Shanahan deal with these assets?

He cut the field in half. He ran playaction bootlegs left and right, had fullbacks/TEs doing underneath crosses and receivers going long or intermediate. Very simple, very easy to execute, very hard to defend.

Denver was, at some points, running 5+ yards clips today, but our receivers had defensive jerseys glued to their backs. What's the answer? Have Tebow do the same fake he always does, duck his head forward, and then go looking for someone on the fly route or the occasional cross. Sure, sometimes he has someone open, but a lot of the times he doesn't. A lot. Over and over. To the point where I do not understand how a rational human being can call these plays repeatedly and expect a different result.

And what's really horrific is, ironically, when something works. Say, a QB-draw on 3rd down. Oh jeez. Then we will be doing that play repeatedly and getting stuffed. Or a running-back toss. Hey it worked. Let's do it again! And again! And into next week! And into next week!

I cannot put into words how much I dislike McCoy's playcalling. Him and McDaniels are cut from the same cloth when it comes to gameplanning. The one thing I miss about Shanahan more than anything was his ability to be unpredictable and take average players and make them look great. McCoy... ... ... .. ..

Well you are talking about someone who was an offensive mastermind compared to Fox/McCoy. One of Shannys problems was not making adjustments. Allthough his offensive scheme was way better than this crap we run now, he still never changed it up very much. It worked against sub-par to good defenses......but it wouldn't hold up to the very good ones. Pitt/Balt.

Still, we need an offensive mind on this coaching staff.

Doggcow
01-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Well you are talking about someone who was an offensive mastermind compared to Fox/McCoy. One of Shannys problems was not making adjustments. Allthough his offensive scheme was way better than this crap we run now, he still never changed it up very much. It worked against sub-par to good defenses......but it wouldn't hold up to the very good ones. Pitt/Balt.

Norv Turner :approve:

NFLBRONCO
01-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Norv Turner :approve:

like the idea but, Fox is too loyal to McCoy

NUB
01-02-2012, 12:29 AM

I think that's a case of where the talent simply meets the end of its own rope. Shanahan got the most out of what he had, but at a certain point a super-talented team like Pittsburgh is just gonna run you over regardless of what you do. His schemes changed a lot with Cutler getting experience. And then Denver nuked what was going on there so it's hard to say what would have happened (I have high confidence it would have been good).

Shanahan might be a bad comparison as he could get Danny Kannell to tango with Tom Brady, but still. If he's at one end of the spectrum then McCoy is at the very tip of the other side. And I have a bad feeling that the relationship between he and Fox will keep his playcalling around for another year. And it's like Slowik all over again except on offense...

SPORTSWRITER
01-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Great article. I'm bookmarking it, as it clearly sums up how I feel about this fiasco.

A friggin' MEN!! I told my wife that it was the worst play-calling by an OC that I had ever seen! The dude actually seemed scared and extremely tentative, to say the least, about letting Tim pass the ball! What a joke! McCoy must GO!!!

Blart
01-02-2012, 12:41 AM
As a top-rated, elite, Mario Kart Time Trials expert who once coached his brother on how to win the local Gamestop championship, I think this article sucked.

GreatBronco16
01-02-2012, 12:47 AM
A friggin' MEN!! I told my wife that it was the worst play-calling by an OC that I had ever seen! The dude actually seemed scared and extremely tentative, to say the least, about letting Tim pass the ball! What a joke! McCoy must GO!!!

It's not so much as them not letting Tebow throw, but it's the way they do it.

Run, run, Tebow run middle, punt. Run, PA no options, run, punt. Run, run, run, punt. Run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, PA no options, run, run, punt.

Then put Tebow in the middle of this. Hmm, WR1 locked up, WR2 locked up......oh crap here comes the rush, let me run left, spin right, back pedal......WR1 is still locked up.......oh crap, sack.

Then you get the occasional throw it deep down the sideline to Willis to have him not catch a ball that hits him in both hands. Then Phil Simms says it was a good defensive play by the Corner playing behind him that didn't get any hands on the ball.

GreatBronco16
01-02-2012, 12:48 AM
As a top-rated, elite, Mario Kart Time Trials expert who once coached his brother on how to win the local Gamestop championship, I think this article sucked.

Yeah, but you're gay so you don't count.:flower:

Blart
01-02-2012, 12:51 AM
As a gay man, I think this article sucked poorly.

Kaylore
01-02-2012, 12:51 AM

This might have something to do with the fact that when we did pass, or tried to, Tebow had all the field awareness of a catatonic mole, and when he did actually muster the presence of mind to throw, it was largely off the mark.

I love the revisionist history too. There were multiple replay's showing receivers getting open and Tebow either over-threw them or didn't even see them at all. They showed the coverage in slow motion with commentary, and yet here we are talking about how McCoy is to blame and it was ALL the playcalling.

http://chzderp.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/hurr-durr-derp-face-friday-derp.jpg

Dexter
01-02-2012, 01:05 AM
This might have something to do with the fact that when we did pass, or tried to, Tebow had all the field awareness of a catatonic mole, and when he did actually muster the presence of mind to throw, it was largely off the mark.

I love the revisionist history too. There were multiple replay's showing receivers getting open and Tebow either over-threw them or didn't even see them at all. They showed the coverage in slow motion with commentary, and yet here we are talking about how McCoy is to blame and it was ALL the playcalling.

Obviously Tebow deserves a lot of the blame, but you can't deny our play calling is pretty predictable and poor can you?

Jetmeck
01-02-2012, 02:02 AM

Sometimes I tell ya. Everyone here admit TT could read quicker and force some balls into very tight coverage and maybe have a few more picks ? Happy then. ??? Pull yer head. We know TT needs work yet how many games has he played ? Yes , not many.

But anyone with eyes can see the lame ass unimaginative playcalling and mediocre receiving corps and no TEs at all ????

Eddie Royal needs to go. Decker, DT and Willis are just ok right now.
NO TE AT ALL WHICH ARE A YOUNG QBs BEST FRIEND.

But **** it the almighty Kaylore says its all on TT so there it is.

Hilarious!

The irony is that someone who I knows goes to TC and should know something about football but like all the early haters reverts back to their earlier stance putting all the blame on TT instead a healthy dose for everyone on offense like we all know is true.

tsiguy96
01-02-2012, 02:24 AM
it all depends who you wnat to blame. tebow is missing guys running free down the right side of the field consistently, im not exactly sure where hes looking to be honest, i think hes staring down his guy down the left sideline that he is rolling out to. however, mccoy needs to do a better job of playing to this weakness of tims and try turning it into something they can play with.

GreatBronco16
01-02-2012, 02:59 AM

Like I said, that happend about 3-4 times in that game today. What about all the other times? Is it Tebows fault that the WRs can't seperate off the line from press coverage? Is it Tebows fault that our guards get man handled and pushed back in his face? Is it Tebows fault that McCoy waits to call a pass after we have ran the ball for 50 yards and got into a 3rd and long? Or better yet, calls a QB keeper on 3rd and long?

Tebow needs a lot of work, NOBODY is denying that, and I'd like him to get 1 complete offseason of work with this staff and next season to improve. However, the playcalling has become very stale and has actually gotten worse since the Pats game.

But wtf do I know. I don't have the luxury of going to TC. I don't sit on my ass and talk on a podcast giving an opinion like any Joe Dirt could do.

BabyTO
01-02-2012, 03:42 AM
RUN
RUN
QB DRAW
PUNT

McCoy = Bill Walsh coaching tree

OrangeSe7en
01-02-2012, 03:44 AM

This was after he threw it. They weren't open. As much time as they're given to get open, they should be wide open...as someone should be all alone.

broncobum6162
01-02-2012, 04:51 AM
Another article breaking down the playcalling. Tebow isn't blameless he definitely need to improve on everything from the defensive reads to being flushed from the pocket to his accuracy. Anyone w/ 1/2 a brain could see he looked totally deflated on the sidelines yesterday. He's lost his cockiness and fire. Why? Even tho he may be the 2nd coming of Christ to some he is only human and I think the run heavy predictable offensive game planning coupled w/ the constant mantra of don't screw up because you're not very good being whispered in his ear is finally getting to him. Good gosh, you run the ball every play and then expect him to complete a deep pass into tight coverage while never giving him a chance to get his rhythm going. He's not good enough to pull games out his arse right now because the defenses have adjust to to same offensive game plan over and over again. It's up to McCoy to keep the offense fresh and add new wrinkles and he's not doing it.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2012/1/1/2675710/where-the-playcalling-went-wrong-week-17-kc-edition

broncobum6162
01-02-2012, 04:55 AM
This was after he threw it. They weren't open. As much time as they're given to get open, they should be wide open...as someone should be all alone.

This......

Broncbow
01-02-2012, 05:02 AM
Tebow averaged just 2 passing attempts per quarter in 7 quarters, that is nearly two games worth, out of the last 3 games.

When you slam your foot on the gas of the rushing offense, and you slam your other foot on the break of the passing offense, what you get is a burn out that has led to the three blowouts the past three games.

This is not McCoys offense, this is Fox and Elway trying to make tebow look like a laughingstock in this league, by their refusal to Unleash Tim Tebow until it too late.

Fox and Elway absolutely refuse to execute a high percentage passing scheme in order to allow Tebow take the Glory off the field. So intstead of rythm and chemistry being built with the gameplan, all Fox and Elway are building is a lack of confidence in Tebow by placing him in one spuradic high risk passing play after another.

Run Run Run
Pass
Run
Pass
Run
Pass
Run Run Run Run Run
Pass
Run Run Run Run Run
Pass Pass
Run Run Run Run Run
Pass Pass
Run Run Run Run Run
Pass
Run
Pass
Run Run Run
Pass
Run
Pass
Run
Pass
Run Run Run Run
Pass
Run Run Run Run Run
Pass Pass
Run Run Run Run Run Run Run
Sack
Run Run Run
Run
Sack
Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass

Lolad
01-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Tebow averaged just 2 passing attempts per quarter in 7 quarters, that is nearly two games worth, out of the last 3 games.

When you slam your foot on the gas of the rushing offense, and you slam your other foot on the break of the passing offense, what you get is a burn out that has led to the three blowouts the past three games.

This is not McCoys offense, this is Fox and Elway trying to make tebow look like a laughingstock in this league, by their refusal to Unleash Tim Tebow until it too late.

Fox and Elway absolutely refuse to execute a high percentage passing scheme in order to allow Tebow take the Glory off the field. So intstead of rythm and chemistry being built with the gameplan, all Fox and Elway are building is a lack of confidence in Tebow by placing him in one spuradic high risk passing play after another.

I wouldn't call it high risk, but low percentage passing plays. Against the Patriots and the Bills, we had rhythm both games early by running and mixing in passing plays that doesn't require Tebow to throw for 30 yards down the field.

The TO's in both games although more than half of them were fumbles has caused Fox, and Mccoy to rethink their philosophy and instead they have reverted even further back to the piss poor play calling they employed in Tebow's 1st start (Miami)

broncobum6162
01-02-2012, 05:21 AM

I'm not buying into that theory.......We just have a OC that is in way over his head and head coach isn't sure what to do with the QB situation. Elway has already said he would work w/ T2 in offseason. Question is....is that really Elways job? He's a VP not a QB coach, I guess if he really has time I don't have a problem w/ it but we need to get an OC who knows how to mix things up and Fox needs to continue to improve the Defense and stay out of the offenses way....

fwf
01-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Yeah this guy is an embarrassment to the city and the team. Lets change his wiki to let the world know how awful he is.