PDA

View Full Version : A sober look at what I've seen as the regular season comes to a close.

TDmvp
01-01-2012, 05:28 PM
I'll open with I wasn't a Tebow fan while he was in college. I don't follow much college ball ,didn't understand the Tebow hype. He killed Ohio St. and the Uc Bearcats in bowls from my home state not that I cared and I didn't even want us to draft him.

That being said I've become a fan of the guy and the player but wont go into that much.

But from my point of view win or lose next week you go into next season with Tim as the starter and don't draft a QB high in the draft. You DO tho look for a solid free agent you think you could win with to push Tim in camp but you let Tim start opening day next year.

You give him a typical off season going into a camp as the starter , learning things other than just how to pass but when to pass rather and when the ball needs to come out on certain plays and when to try to make something out of nothing and when not to. I don't want him to abandon running but don't always try to win it all on one play and hurt yourself... Which a lot of young players have to learn.

But as a Broncos fan with no preconceived attachment to Tim Tebow other than him as a Bronco I think if for none other than this run from 1-4 to a playoff birth you give the kid a chance to go through a standard offseason with a capable back up and more talent around him.... And if he wins and shows improvement at the start of the season you go with it. If you go 4-12 or some crap like that you may have to look another direction unless he showed real prototypical qb improvements and it's a team fail.....

I'll close with I really like Tim and hope he shows improvements over the next year and be the franchise qb we all want.

I'd like to thank the entire team for after starting 1-4 not closing up shop and making the most of a bad start by getting a home playoff game be it due to math or tie breakers or voo doo , I don't care and am just happy to have had football that mattered from the team I like during the holidays and onward...

Go Broncos...Go Tebow !!!

TDmvp
01-01-2012, 05:29 PM
http://erroraccessdenied.com/files/images/tldr%20cat.preview.jpg

Lycan
01-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Tim still struggles with reading defenses, but that is something that improves with time.
Give him an off-season stuffed with game film and good coaching and lets see what happens.

That's after we win the super bowl this year of course. Go Broncos.

rugbythug
I like Tebow and really want him to succeed.

We need to go out and get the best QB's available this off season. If Tebow is good he will beat them out.

Pontius Pirate
http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/did%20not%20read/grand/59456292did_not_read.gif

barryr
01-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Unless the offense changes and stops being so predictable, it doesn't matter who plays QB.

broncosteven
01-01-2012, 05:40 PM
We aren't going to be in a draft position where we can get an elite QB so I like the idea of using the 1st round pick on BPA and filling some holes on D or O and then look at drafting the second tier QB's and pickup a FA QB for TC depth.

I give Tebow next year to prove he can play and win in this league. If he can't do it then we will likely have a high round pick to get a QBOTF next year.

ScottXray
01-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Agreed that our offense is TOO predictable.

We need to build the team in other areas than QB, although
picking up a very late round or FA QB is obvious. Tebow ran a more conventional offense last Preseason, so his regression is ?????

Maybe he has been coached to ball security no turnovers mode so much he just won't pull the trigger. You have to let him fail sometimes to show progress later. The off season will be interesting for sure.

But for now we have a playoff game to play next week.

There is no tomorrow in the playoffs, so hopefully the coaches can come up with something different than the SAFE plans we have been following. They are not going to work against playoff level Defenses.

maher_tyler
01-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Unless the offense changes and stops being so predictable, it doesn't matter who plays QB.

I'm not putting all the blame on Tebow like some people are. He has been hesitating to pull the trigger even when he has guys open for some reason. There are other times where the play calling is flat out terrible. We don't seem to call any plays for Tebow to get into any type of rhythm. All the routes the WR's run seem to be at least 10 yards past the sticks.

barryr
01-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm not putting all the blame on Tebow like some people are. He has been hesitating to pull the trigger even when he has guys open for some reason. There are other times where the play calling is flat out terrible. We don't seem to call any plays for Tebow to get into any type of rhythm. All the routes the WR's run seem to be at least 10 yards past the sticks.

Yep, agreed, this offense has no plays designed to get quick completions? The receivers can not get open quickly, so takes longer routes to ever get open?

The coaching staff on offense needs to be evaluated since I don't remember Orton completing many short throws either other than to maybe Lloyd. A WR coach that can teach technique on how to get open quickly would be nice.

milehighJC
01-01-2012, 06:18 PM
When the season is REALLY over, it will really be time for the hard evaluation of where the Broncos stand. I believe you have to look at the ENTIRE body of work to make a fair evaluation.

As far as Im concerned, they finished the regular season better than I thought they would (I figured 6-10 was where they would be, 8-8 would be a stretch). They ended the season better than I thought they would but many of the wins came from weak teams.

Tebow got more of the credit for the wins than he deserved, and now I suspect he will take more blame for the last three losses than he deserves. He is one player on a TEAM - that did better than I thought they would, but finished worse than I would have hoped.

Buffalo was hard to take. Today was not a whole lot better, in no small part thanks to the injury to Kuper.

Unfortunately, I wont get to go to the Pittsburgh game - our playoff tickets got screwed up. So Ill be watching on the big screen at home - a better seat anyway I guess, but Ill miss the crowd.

jc

Pontius Pirate
01-01-2012, 06:24 PM
This thread needs some epic boob mojo.

BroncoBen
01-01-2012, 06:27 PM
I like Tebow and really want him to succeed.

We need to go out and get the best QB's available this off season. If Tebow is good he will beat them out.

Yeah , but what about the argument about Tebow not being a practice player. I think that hurts a team as well , if you dont practice well how do you Develope your WRs and TEs.

Vine
01-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Yep. As a full Tebow supporter, I don't know if I want Tebow as the Broncos starting QB if they will continue with this uber-conservative offensive mindset going into next season and staying the course with it.

Vine
01-01-2012, 06:34 PM
When the season is REALLY over, it will really be time for the hard evaluation of where the Broncos standd I believe you have to look at the ENTIRE body of work to make a fair evaluation.

As far as Im concerned, they finished the regular season better than I thought they would (I figured 6-10 was where they would be, 8-8 would be a stretch). They ended the season better than I thought they would but many of the wins came from weak teams.

Tebow got more of the credit for the wins than he deserved, and now I suspect he will take more blame for the last three losses than he deserves. He is one player on a TEAM - that did better than I thought they would, but finished worse than I would have hoped.

Buffalo was hard to take. Today was not a whole lot better, in no small part thanks to the injury to Kuper.

Unfortunately, I wont get to go to the Pittsburgh game - our playoff tickets got screwed up. So Ill be watching on the big screen at home - a better seat anyway I guess, but Ill miss the crowd.

jc

Allen stays. McCoy out.

Pontius Pirate
01-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah , but what about the argument about Tebow not being a practice player. I think that hurts a team as well , if you dont practice well how do you Develope your WRs and TEs.

Maybe Coach Fox can get out there and throw to him. It'll be like Pop Warner. It'll be great!

Seriously though Elway: trade up and get RG3. Something tells me Tebow wouldn't come CLOSE to beating out RG3 in the off season.

myMind
01-01-2012, 06:38 PM
After seeing that Tebow can succeed, and win, the late collapse I put on coaching.
Straight up...I watched first hand a very less than ispiring performance. It is NOT just Tebow.

Play2win
01-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Get another QB in here, and BENCH Tebow. Maybe after a couple of years riding the pine, he will be an actual NFL-level QB.

ghwk
01-01-2012, 06:57 PM

You fool. The offense is what it is because it's what Tebow can execute. And judging by the incredible number of blown reads today I'm not sure he can execute what he has.

ghwk
01-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Yep, agreed, this offense has no plays designed to get quick completions? The receivers can not get open quickly, so takes longer routes to ever get open?

The coaching staff on offense needs to be evaluated since I don't remember Orton completing many short throws either other than to maybe Lloyd. A WR coach that can teach technique on how to get open quickly would be nice.

I think others have said it better but our receivers are NFL open in cases when Tebow won't throw. NFL open and college open are too different things, and while some might tout his completion percentage in college he wasn't playing against NFL talent every week.

His fumble killed us today and missed reads killed us today.

ghwk
01-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Yep. As a full Tebow supporter, I don't know if I want Tebow as the Broncos starting QB if they will continue with this uber-conservative offensive mindset going into next season and staying the course with it.

You keep blaming the coaches and nothing will change your mindset I'm sure, but we should have won today and that is on Tebow.

WolfpackGuy
01-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Tebow can't throw running right.

I didn't really notice it until the last few weeks as teams have started to flush him that way more often.

Pontius Pirate
01-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Tebow can't throw.

fixed.

lolcopter
01-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Get it in with Flynn imo

Tombstone RJ
01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Until Tebow learns how to throw the friggen ball this team is not going anywhere. NFL defenses have already figured out how to stop him.

He holds onto the ball way too long. In this last game against KC Tebow was absolutely gun shy too. He was too scared to throw the ball and when he did he was inacurate.

broncocalijohn
01-01-2012, 09:21 PM

dsmoot
01-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I'll open with I wasn't a Tebow fan while he was in college. I don't follow much college ball ,didn't understand the Tebow hype. He killed Ohio St. and the Uc Bearcats in bowls from my home state not that I cared and I didn't even want us to draft him.

That being said I've become a fan of the guy and the player but wont go into that much.

But from my point of view win or lose next week you go into next season with Tim as the starter and don't draft a QB high in the draft. You DO tho look for a solid free agent you think you could win with to push Tim in camp but you let Tim start opening day next year.

You give him a typical off season going into a camp as the starter , learning things other than just how to pass but when to pass rather and when the ball needs to come out on certain plays and when to try to make something out of nothing and when not to. I don't want him to abandon running but don't always try to win it all on one play and hurt yourself... Which a lot of young players have to learn.

But as a Broncos fan with no preconceived attachment to Tim Tebow other than him as a Bronco I think if for none other than this run from 1-4 to a playoff birth you give the kid a chance to go through a standard offseason with a capable back up and more talent around him.... And if he wins and shows improvement at the start of the season you go with it. If you go 4-12 or some crap like that you may have to look another direction unless he showed real prototypical qb improvements and it's a team fail.....

I'll close with I really like Tim and hope he shows improvements over the next year and be the franchise qb we all want.

I'd like to thank the entire team for after starting 1-4 not closing up shop and making the most of a bad start by getting a home playoff game be it due to math or tie breakers or voo doo , I don't care and am just happy to have had football that mattered from the team I like during the holidays and onward...

Go Broncos...Go Tebow !!!

Loved your post. Can't see anything I would disagree with. I wish Tim had sustained his improvement the last two weeks - that was my biggest disappointment.

One thought that has been rattling around in my head is what does Tim and the coaching staff do to break down his play week to week. Or do they wait until the season is over? His media interviews are just so positiive that I don't have a feel for how much self or staff critical assessment he goes through.

I don't think Tim should take much time off after this season ends before he and the staff goes through that play by play breakdown. I don't care so much about the physical portion of his game as I do about the cerebral part about finding the second or third receiver and knowing when he has been too conservative in not throwing the ball. I really believe his lack of success has been a result of decision making not inaccurate passing.

The KC game confirmed one thing to me today, we would not have been better off keeping Orton in the starting lineup. As you suggested, lets fix other issues on this team in 2012 before we consider going after another QB.