PDA

View Full Version : Late 1st half punt

Vine
01-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I thought kicking the 57 yard FG was the obvious choice.

How can you not show confidence in your kicker to make that?

How can you not show confidence in your defense in the event of a Prater miss, there would only be 25 seconds left?

oubronco
01-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Yea should've tried the FG

GreatBronco16
01-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Fox was too affraid that Tebow would have ran out there, took the ball, and tried to run for a first down. Duh.:giggle:

DBroncos4life
01-01-2012, 05:35 PM
This is your third thread about us punting lol

GreatBronco16
01-01-2012, 05:37 PM
This is your third thread about us punting lol

Well, we did have a lot of punts today.:giggle:

maher_tyler
01-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I thought kicking the 57 yard FG was the obvious choice.

How can you not show confidence in your kicker to make that?

How can you not show confidence in your defense in the event of a Prater miss, there would only be 25 seconds left?

While people are losing confidence in Tebow, i'm losing just as much if not more in this coaching staff!

WolfpackGuy
01-01-2012, 05:43 PM
I was kind of neutral on the decision.

I chalked it up to them not wanting to give the Cheaps good field position with a miss and put themselves possibly down two scores going into the half.

Lycan
01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
How do you have anything but supreme confidence in Prater though?

The guy is money on anything longer than 49 yards.

Pontius Pirate
01-01-2012, 05:46 PM
How do you have anything but supreme confidence in Prater though?

The guy is money on anything longer than 49 yards.

Symptoms of an over-achieving team: your kicker gets serious consideration as the MVP.

broncosteven
01-01-2012, 05:49 PM
I thought they could have tried going for it on one of the 4th and 5/7's on KFC's side of the field but the way Tebow was throwing I can see why they didn't try it.

Cito Pelon
01-01-2012, 05:56 PM
That was one of the most poorly-coached 2 minute drives in Bronco history. 2:07 to go starting the drive, and they run with no urgency between plays, still get into FG range and don't try to score. Jebus.

Cito Pelon
01-01-2012, 06:00 PM
While people are losing confidence in Tebow, i'm losing just as much if not more in this coaching staff!

Yeah, that was a horribly coached drive to end the half. Just horrible.

gyldenlove
01-01-2012, 06:11 PM
I understand that decision, if you score you still need a TD to catch up, if you don't you give the Chiefs every opportunity to get ahead by 2 scores right before half time.

Armchair Bronco
01-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Fox has no balls. It's that simple.

He doesn't trust his D and he doesn't trust Tebow. At all.

We'll go into the game next week with the same game plan, too. And the results will be the same. McCoy is an absolute joke at OC. And Fox is probably the most conservative and stupidly stubborn head coach in the last 25 years.

Seriously, the guy is even more conservative than "Ground" Chuck Knox, and that's saying a lot.

Cito Pelon
01-01-2012, 06:18 PM
I understand that decision, if you score you still need a TD to catch up, if you don't you give the Chiefs every opportunity to get ahead by 2 scores right before half time.

Nah, you try the FG every stinking time at home. You try to score to end the first half and getting the ball first in the 3rd Q. You can even try a fake FG, you don't punt. The staff f'd up that entire 2-minute drive from start to finish.

Vine
01-01-2012, 06:23 PM
That was one of the most poorly-coached 2 minute drives in Bronco history. 2:07 to go starting the drive, and they run with no urgency between plays, still get into FG range and don't try to score. Jebus.

This.

I mean seriously. It is quite depressing to know that the head coach of my favorite professional football team is a complete douche.

Armchair Bronco
01-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Nah, you try the FG every stinking time at home. You try to score to end the first half and getting the ball first in the 3rd Q. You can even try a fake FG, you don't punt. The staff f'd up that entire 2-minute drive from start to finish.

If our coaches can't even figure out the fundamentals of a 2-minute drill, there's no hope for more complicated stuff, like developing an unorthodox QB who has untapped potential.

Pete Carroll regularly pulls the same crap in Seattle. And under Carroll, the Hawks are pretty much a .500 team.

Fox is AT BEST a .500 coach. Get ready for more years of mediocrity under Mr. Conservative.

TonyR
01-01-2012, 07:00 PM
They made a good decision. Almost a no brainer. Close, low scoring game. High odds of missing and putting he Chiefs in position to go up 2 scores. Conservative call by a conservative coach using a strategy that has worked more than not since Tebow has been under center.

Vine
01-01-2012, 07:03 PM
They made a good decision. Almost a no brainer. Close, low scoring game. High odds of missing and putting he Chiefs in position to go up 2 scores. Conservative call by a conservative coach using a strategy that has worked more than not since Tebow has been under center.

Odds of missing are real, but not high. Not with Prater. Defense was playing well enough, I think they could prevent KC from getting 15 yards to get into long Succup range if Prater misses.

Play2win
01-01-2012, 07:07 PM
One of the worst poorly executed 2 minute drives in recent Broncos history. That is on Tebow.

Vine
01-01-2012, 07:13 PM
One of the worst poorly executed 2 minute drives in recent Broncos history. That is on Tebow.

STFU bitch.

gyldenlove
01-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Odds of missing are real, but not high. Not with Prater. Defense was playing well enough, I think they could prevent KC from getting 15 yards to get into long Succup range if Prater misses.

Prater is 75% from 50+ so at least 25% chance of a miss, the defense gave up nearly 30 yards after the punt so you are looking at a 1/4 to 1/3 shot that we would have gone down by 10 by halftime, being down by 4 or down by 7 is not worth that risk.

MacGruder
01-01-2012, 07:18 PM

If the coaches don't rely on Tebow you can't blame him for not coming through.

Just like you can't blame Tebow for Foz losing with Orton early in the season.

Tebow won in spite of Fox.. people were too busy drinking the kool-aid to notice the coach and team stink.

Fox never even used Tebow in the red zone early in the season... If not for the failed Orton experiment getting into the playoffs never ever would have even been in doubt.

Just like if Fox let Tebow pass before he wouldn't be painted into a corner at the last minute like he is now.

Pontius Pirate
01-01-2012, 07:20 PM
STFU b****.

I just want to point out (with a lot of glee, in fact) that, just a few posts above, you said "this" to virtually the same comment that you're now telling someone else to "STFU" about. Maybe it was the second post calling out Tebow?

Anyways, your posts gave me great amusement. I love this place. Carry on.

Vine
01-01-2012, 07:25 PM
I just want to point out (with a lot of glee, in fact) that, just a few posts above, you said "this" to virtually the same comment that you're now telling someone else to "STFU" about. Maybe it was the second post calling out Tebow?

Anyways, your posts gave me great amusement. I love this place. Carry on.

What? How was that 2 min offense on Tebow?

Denver Broncos at 2:07 KAN DEN
1st and 10 at DEN 26 W.McGahee up the middle to DEN 33 for 7 yards (A.Gordon).
2nd and 3 at DEN 33 W.McGahee up the middle to DEN 45 for 12 yards (J.Houston).
1st and 10 at DEN 45 (Shotgun) W.McGahee right tackle to DEN 46 for 1 yard (J.Houston, G.Dorsey).
2nd and 9 at DEN 46 (Shotgun) T.Tebow scrambles up the middle to 50 for 4 yards (A.Bailey).
Timeout #1 by DEN at 00:54.
3rd and 5 at 50 (Shotgun) E.Royal left end pushed ob at KC 40 for 10 yards (T.Daniels).
1st and 10 at KC 40 (Shotgun) T.Tebow pass incomplete deep left to D.Thomas (B.Carr).
2nd and 10 at KC 40 (Shotgun) T.Tebow up the middle to KC 39 for 1 yard (J.Arenas).
Timeout #2 by DEN at 00:36.
3rd and 9 at KC 39 (Shotgun) T.Tebow pass incomplete short right to D.Thomas.
4th and 9 at KC 39 B.Colquitt punts 39 yards to end zone, Center-L.Paxton, Touchback.

There was the play by play. 6 running plays and 2 passes. All starting with 2:07 in the half. So yeah, it was the most putrid 2 min drill in the history of the NFL. But it was Tebow's fault?

Boomhauer
01-02-2012, 04:57 AM
Playing for field position? I don't know any other coach from HS to the NFL that would trade 3pts for 10yrds;
- Punt to pin them on the 10, or kick an easy FG followed by a touchback.

Might want to expand this thread to include all the 4th quarter punts as well, or as Woody said today, "At the outset of the fourth quarter, the Broncos apparently read the scoreboard wrong and thought they were ahead 7-3. They looked like they were trying to run out the clock and the Cheifs were thrilled to join them. ... The coach decided on punts twice in the fourth quarter on Kansas City's side of the 50 and, finally, elected to punt again with 2:37 to go."

Vine
01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
It is sick. Fox is a ****ing pussy.

sgbfan
01-02-2012, 08:58 AM
I thought the biggest problem was the use of time outs. Denver called timeouts before 3rd downs instead of letting the clock run and calling the timeouts after gaining first downs. That just left time on the clock so KC was left with 35 (or so) seconds and 2-3 timeouts left. You don't call the time out on second down and let the clock run, then either you KC has no timeouts left or there is no time left and you can try the FG. Both timeouts were very poorly used.

Vine
01-02-2012, 09:05 AM
I thought the biggest problem was the use of time outs. Denver called timeouts before 3rd downs instead of letting the clock run and calling the timeouts after gaining first downs. That just left time on the clock so KC was left with 35 (or so) seconds and 2-3 timeouts left. You don't call the time out on second down and let the clock run, then either you KC has no timeouts left or there is no time left and you can try the FG. Both timeouts were very poorly used.

I remember thinking that Fox would be content with running another running play, then let the clock run down to 3 seconds or so, and use the last timeout to kick a really long FG. Instead, they punt!?!

What a ****ing tard for a coach that we have.

sgbfan
01-02-2012, 09:07 AM
I remember thinking that Fox would be content with running another running play, then let the clock run down to 3 seconds or so, and use the last timeout to kick a really long FG. Instead, they punt!?!

What a ****ing tard for a coach that we have.

KC would have called a timeout after a 3rd down run, but after second down, they were already in FG range, and should have been playing for a FG, so no timeout was needed.

Boomhauer
01-04-2012, 01:28 AM
Yeah, that was a horribly coached drive to end the half. Just horrible.

There's been a lot of that this year. A lot of horribly coached drives, quarters, situations, halves and a lot of horribly coached games. It's not a new comment and most times its been made this season, few have disagreed.

Most everyone in the Broncosphere, and a few opinions from Carolina, new what Denver was getting when Fox was signed. But most everyone gave him the benefit of doubt in hopes he had skills, even though he hadn't shown any this century.

Halfway through this season, I compared him to a Wade Phillips without defensive acumen. Like Phillips and like Fox's predecessor, John is probably going to be 2yrs-&-done in Denver. He lacks any ability to make players or the team better and blows almost every important decision.

KevinJames
01-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Fox is a smart coach. He doesn't wanna risk missing that field goal he knows he couldn't afford to be down 2 possessions with the kind of offense we have. How can you dispute it when we finished with 3 points. It shows the confidence he has in the offense which is not much, obvious but can you blame him at this point its all we got if it continues like that into the half sunday hes making changes on offense mark my words.