PDA

View Full Version : NFL Coaching updates

tsiguy96
12-26-2011, 08:41 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/26/changes-coming-chargers-brass/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Recap:
Norv probably out, AJ Smith may be out. If AJ Smith out, he will likely go to the rams and bring Jon Gruden with him. Steve Spagnuolo will join eagles staff as DC.

NFLBRONCO
12-26-2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/dec/26/changes-coming-chargers-brass/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Recap:
Norv probably out, AJ Smith may be out. If AJ Smith out, he will likely go to the rams and bring Jon Gruden with him. Steve Spagnuolo will join eagles staff as DC.

Or Gruden in SD

DBroncos4life
12-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Gruden just signed a new 5 year contract in October. I doubt he leaves espn.

tsiguy96
12-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Gruden just signed a new 5 year contract in October. I doubt he leaves espn.

contract didnt prevent him from leaving ESPN to coach.

ScottXray
12-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Gruden is having fun being an analyst...he is not going back to coaching this year ( or probably ever).

And while he did well at Oakland, he took over a pre-built team at TB, and after the SB win proceeded to make the team worse until he was canned.
Maybe he likes having job stability and not having to live life in a bottle and work 100 hours a week?

You have to be Driven to succeed as a NFL coach....Gruden doesn't have the drive anymore.

tsiguy96
12-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Gruden is having fun being an analyst...he is not going back to coaching this year ( or probably ever).

And while he did well at Oakland, he took over a pre-built team at TB, and after the SB win proceeded to make the team worse until he was canned.
Maybe he likes having job stability and not having to live life in a bottle and work 100 hours a week?

You have to be Driven to succeed as a NFL coach....Gruden doesn't have the drive anymore.

honest question, how do you know this? we as fans see him for a few hours tops on ESPN, you dont know what he secretly aspires to do.

bendog
12-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I just don't see the fire angle for Gruden. Elway and Shanny don't need money, but Elway has always wanted the challange of being in the front office, and shanny want's to win one w/o Elway. Gruden has nothing to prove, and he's got a gig that is pretty impossible to beat.

bowtown
12-27-2011, 10:45 AM
honest question, how do you know this? we as fans see him for a few hours tops on ESPN, you dont know what he secretly aspires to do.

Gruden loves being in the booth. He's a lifer there. Gruden will be the next Madden.

TonyR
12-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Steve Spagnuolo will join eagles staff as DC.

That would be huge for the Eagles. A lot of talent on that defense but the current DC is clueless and they haven't used it correctly.

Archer81
12-27-2011, 11:04 AM
That would be huge for the Eagles. A lot of talent on that defense but the current DC is clueless and they haven't used it correctly.

I thought the eagles signed alot of guys to 1 year deals?

:Broncos:

bendog
12-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Gruden loves being in the booth. He's a lifer there. Gruden will be the next Madden.

yeah, he's the best of the guys who hand out candy like it's information. Just enough football information to make it seem like they're giving real stuff. Madden early on with his crayon thing was not terribly horrible. I remember hearing Walsh try to do play by play ... the color guy was even confused.

TonyR
12-27-2011, 11:18 AM
I thought the eagles signed alot of guys to 1 year deals?

Your comment made me curious so I looked up their 4 biggest D acquisitions:

Nnamdi Asomugha 5 yr. $60 million
Cullen Jenkins 5 yr. $25 million
Jason Babin 5 yr. $28 million
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie isn't an FA until 2014

mustangtoby
12-27-2011, 05:08 PM
I betting Jeff Fischer to Sandy Eggo, and it's gonna make our life hell.
Maybe we'll get lucky and Jerry Jones will get pist and goes after Fischer, maybe Chucky will go to SD and suck it up like most coaches who have been out of the game for awhile...

Archer81
12-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Your comment made me curious so I looked up their 4 biggest D acquisitions:

Nnamdi Asomugha 5 yr. $60 million
Cullen Jenkins 5 yr. $25 million
Jason Babin 5 yr. $28 million
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie isn't an FA until 2014

Ah. I stand corrected. If Spags goes to Philly, should make the NYG games more interesting than they already were.

:Broncos:

NFLBRONCO
12-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Report Gruden to quit MNF gig Hello SD

HooptyHoops
12-28-2011, 09:06 AM

Where did you hear this?

Flex Gunmetal
12-28-2011, 09:20 AM

News tagged 'Gruden' in the past 24 hours:
"ESPN says Gruden staying put; Final MNF rating down"
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/12/espn-says-gruden-staying-put/1

BroncoInferno
12-28-2011, 09:21 AM
I betting Jeff Fischer to Sandy Eggo, and it's gonna make our life hell.

Why? Fisher is MASSIVELY overrated. Just 6 winning years in his 15 seasons with the Titans.

Broncoman13
12-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Why? Fisher is MASSIVELY overrated. Just 6 winning years in his 15 seasons with the Titans.

I think Fisher is a great coach. I think he will end up in Miami.

I think Gruden will end up in St Louis. Norv will end up as an OC, likely in NY. And the next coach of the Chargers could end up being a hot shot College Coach like what the Niners did.

bendog
12-28-2011, 09:43 AM
tsiguy, I may be wrong, and Grudog might end up in St. Louis. I'm not sold on the owner (-; but the team is better than its record, and Grudog may be sold on Bradford. That'd be his challenge. He built an offense around Gannon, won with a journeyman qb, and if he could coach Bradford to being in Brees or Rodgers level .... HOF is not out of the question.

ScottXray
12-28-2011, 09:46 PM

JMO but its pretty obvious that hes enjoying himself too much to think he wants to get back into coaching. He makes nearly as much just talikng about it as he did doing it , and it is a lot easier to critique others than actually do it. If he really wanted to coach he already would be, hence my thoughts that he is done doing so.

TonyR
12-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Like everyone else, I'm rooting for the Raiders to somehow win the AFC West (they'd need to win here, then Denver would have to lose), then somehow win a home playoff game (couldn't you see Joe Flacco falling apart in Oakland?) and getting blown out in New England in Round 2 but not before giving up their 2013 no. 1 pick because of that "If Oakland wins one 2011 playoff game, Cincy gets a second first-round pick as part of Oakland's idiotic Carson Palmer trade" clause. This would be the funniest thing that happened this season, with the possible exception of every Caleb Hanie pass and Takeo Spikes somehow ending up on another losing team.6

Meanwhile, if Jon Gruden was ever coming back to coach, wouldn't it be for that Chargers job? Phil Rivers, Malcolm Floyd and Vincent Jackson as deep threats, Ryan Mathews as the Brian Westbrook-type back it's like a West Coast offense/warm-weather nirvana, and if that's not enough, he gets to live in San Diego, the most beautiful city in America. I can't handle San Diego every time I'm there, I go into a deep funk and question every choice I ever made in my life. Why didn't I go to the University of San Diego for college or grad school? Why didn't I move there after college? Why don't I live there now? Why didn't anyone even tell me this stuff before I turned 30? San Diego is like the Fight Club of cities everyone who lives there makes a pact not to tell anyone else how great it is so they can keep the housing costs down. (Note: Didn't work. It's superexpensive.) If San Diego got an NBA team, I would move there tomorrow and that would be that.7 How can Gruden resist that job?

Here's how this needs to play out: Norv Turner becomes the Jets' offensive coordinator; Gruden grabs the Chargers job; Ray Lewis retires after an emotionally scarring playoff loss in Oakland that also netted Cincy a second first-round pick from what was already one of the best trades of the past 20 years; ESPN's new Monday Night Football team becomes Mike Tirico, Ron Jaworski and Ray Lewis; everybody wins. Well, except Raiders fans.http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7404371/breaking-week-17