PDA

View Full Version : If Oaklnd loses, do we clinch regardless?

BroncoInferno
12-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Obviously, we would all prefer to beat KC and go into the playoffs on a winning note. But, if we lose and Oakland loses, do we win the West regardless? Or does it depend on how other teams perform? I tried a few different scenarios with ESPN's playoff machine, and all had us clinching if Oakland loses. But there are so many different combinations, I wasn't sure if it was set in stone. anyone know for sure?

kdissette
12-26-2011, 05:43 PM
well since only us or OAk can win the west if we both lose then we are in

OABB
12-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes.

BroncoInferno
12-26-2011, 05:48 PM
well since only us or OAk can win the west if we both lose then we are in

Well, we will be tied, obviously, but the tie-breakers get kind of complex if you are tied with a team for both division record and conference record as well (this would be the case if we both lose Sunday). I was just wondering if there was any scenario, any combination of teams winning/losing that would result in Oakland taking the tie-breaker from us.

canadianbroncosfan
12-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Well, we will be tied, obviously, but the tie-breakers get kind of complex if you are tied with a team for both division record and conference record as well (this would be the case if we both lose Sunday). I was just wondering if there was any scenario, any combination of teams winning/losing that would result in Oakland taking the tie-breaker from us.

No. We would both lose to divisional teams so nothing would change from this week.

Can this please be the last thread this week that gets started on this topic?

Just so it's clear to everyone:

Broncos make the playoffs if
1) We win or
2) Oakland loses

It's that simple.

BroncoInferno
12-26-2011, 05:58 PM
No. We would both lose to divisional teams so nothing would change from this week.

Can this please be the last thread this week that gets started on this topic?

Just so it's clear to everyone:

Broncos make the playoffs if
1) We win or
2) Oakland loses

It's that simple.

Cool. Sorry, I haven't popped in in a couple of days, so I didn't realize there were other threads about this.

BroncoMan4ever
12-26-2011, 09:47 PM
i don't want to back into the playoffs. that's the NFL equivalent to making out with a cousin. sure you made out with a girl and maybe she was hot, but really it is nothing to brag or be happy about.

i would rather win and take care of business instead of relying on the sucking of others

Archer81
12-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Den and Oak play at the same time...I'd prefer to win and not rely on someone else ****ing up.

:Broncos:

theAPAOps5
12-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Is there going to be a thread a day about this? Just curious.

tsiguy96
12-26-2011, 10:45 PM
dont care how denver gets to the playoffs, just want them to get in. even if they get blown out, they need to know what its like to be a playoff team and not a team that their season annually ends after 16 weeks.

ZONA
12-27-2011, 12:09 AM
i don't want to back into the playoffs. that's the NFL equivalent to making out with a cousin. sure you made out with a girl and maybe she was hot, but really it is nothing to brag or be happy about.

i would rather win and take care of business instead of relying on the sucking of others

backing into the playoffs is better then not getting in at all. Once you're in, anything can happen. Greenbay was a wildcard last year. We were a wildcard in 1997.

Borks147
12-27-2011, 01:41 AM
backing into the playoffs is better then not getting in at all. Once you're in, anything can happen. Greenbay was a wildcard last year. We were a wildcard in 1997.

I understand your point. but both of those teams came into playoffs on a hot streak, and those Broncos had been the #1 seed the year before and had ridiculous talent on offense. Just sayin...

go_broncos
12-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Obviously, we would all prefer to beat KC and go into the playoffs on a winning note. But, if we lose and Oakland loses, do we win the West regardless? Or does it depend on how other teams perform? I tried a few different scenarios with ESPN's playoff machine, and all had us clinching if Oakland loses. But there are so many different combinations, I wasn't sure if it was set in stone. anyone know for sure?

It will not matter as Chiefs are going to lose to us this week.

Punisher
12-27-2011, 05:47 AM
http://savingthefamilymoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cat_reading_newspaper.gif

MagicHef
12-27-2011, 08:37 AM
I hope we both win, and Cin and (Mia or Ten) lose. That way we win the division and Oak gets a wildcard. It would be pretty fun if we both made it far enough to play each other again.

Broncoman13
12-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Is there going to be a thread a day about this? Just curious.

Ntil Boob mojo is accepted by Poops, yes. I can't believe he complained. No respect for that pussy now.

theAPAOps5
12-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Ntil Boob mojo is accepted by Poops, yes. I can't believe he complained. No respect for that p***Y now.

Accepted is a very open ended word my friend...:)

Peoples Champ
12-27-2011, 12:54 PM
I understand your point. but both of those teams came into playoffs on a hot streak, and those Broncos had been the #1 seed the year before and had ridiculous talent on offense. Just sayin...

I am on his side. It will be good to be in the playoffs regardless. We are on a 6 year drought, and this slumpbuster will be awesome even if we get trampled in the first round. I would still consider the season a success and an unbelievable ride with all of the crazy wins.

Its like if your on a slump with hooking up with chicks. Its good to score a hookup even if the girl isn't that goodlooking.

Gort
12-27-2011, 12:59 PM

true. not quite a year ago, the 7-9 Seahags toppled the 11-5 New Orleans Breeses, so there is a solid argument that everyone starts with a clean slate in the playoffs...

however, i think this Broncos team needs to make a statement against KC that they deserve to be in the playoffs at 9-7. there might be 4 teams in the playoffs this year with 9-7 records (OAK/DEN/CIN/NYG/DAL/ATL/NYJ/TEN all have a chance to make the playoffs at 9-7). backing in at 8-8 just means we suck a little bit less than the other 3 AFC West teams.

if McCoy and Fox think that the stupid gameplan of theirs from the past several weeks is going to work this weekend, we are in for a long day. they need to let Tebow run wild. Tebow needs to throw early and we need a mix of passes... short passes too! they need to be creative with playcalling. they need to confuse KC with blitzes and pressures. they need their special teams to show up. if not, these Broncos are in trouble. oh, and the receivers need to run something other than stop-and-go routes. Decker, i mean you.

Gort
12-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Ntil Boob mojo is accepted by Poops, yes. I can't believe he complained. No respect for that p***Y now.

to be fair, it's Popps' world. he just lets us live in it.

Boobs McGee
12-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I am on his side. It will be good to be in the playoffs regardless. We are on a 6 year drought, and this slumpbuster will be awesome even if we get trampled in the first round. I would still consider the season a success and an unbelievable ride with all of the crazy wins.

Its like if your on a slump with hooking up with chicks. Its good to score a hookup even if the girl inst that goodlooking.

You have to get the smell of p***y on you, and then it's game on.

Once we have the smell of playoffs on our franchise again, we'll be there consistently for a while.

BroncoMan4ever
12-27-2011, 08:37 PM

wild card is one thing when you are 12-4 like Denver was in 97 or 10-6 like GB was last season. but to be a backdoor entry with an 8-8 record because you play in a **** division is pathetic. i will root for the team without question if they make the playoffs, but as a fan i would rather see them earn the playoffs instead of back in.

BroncoMan4ever
12-27-2011, 08:43 PM
true. not quite a year ago, the 7-9 Seahags toppled the 11-5 New Orleans Breeses, so there is a solid argument that everyone starts with a clean slate in the playoffs...

however, i think this Broncos team needs to make a statement against KC that they deserve to be in the playoffs at 9-7. there might be 4 teams in the playoffs this year with 9-7 records (OAK/DEN/CIN/NYG/DAL/ATL/NYJ/TEN all have a chance to make the playoffs at 9-7). backing in at 8-8 just means we suck a little bit less than the other 3 AFC West teams.

if McCoy and Fox think that the stupid gameplan of theirs from the past several weeks is going to work this weekend, we are in for a long day. they need to let Tebow run wild. Tebow needs to throw early and we need a mix of passes... short passes too! they need to be creative with playcalling. they need to confuse KC with blitzes and pressures. they need their special teams to show up. if not, these Broncos are in trouble. oh, and the receivers need to run something other than stop-and-go routes. Decker, i mean you.

i want to see Tebow allowed to throw on 1st downs more often. i understand wanting to protect him from making mistakes, but this run, run, run and pass only when absolutely necessary is not working anymore.

this offense is seemingly playing a Dan Reeves with Elway style. keep it close the 1st 3 quarters and hope that an unleashed Elway can win it in the end. we saw against Buffalo, that isn't going to always work. when we have a lead we need to build on it. by running the stagnant offense through the 2nd and 3rd quarters with 3 and outs and a non existant passing game we allowed Buffalo to stay in the game and then destroy us. that was a team that just needed a little nudge and they were going down early, instead they hung around and momentum shifted.

ward63
12-27-2011, 08:44 PM

This

Shotgun Willie
12-28-2011, 06:48 AM
wild card is one thing when you are 12-4 like Denver was in 97 or 10-6 like GB was last season. but to be a backdoor entry with an 8-8 record because you play in a **** division is pathetic. i will root for the team without question if they make the playoffs, but as a fan i would rather see them earn the playoffs instead of back in.

Of course everyone would rather win than back in. NOBODY, including those who say they'd be happy getting in regardless of record, is saying otherwise.

Just ask Seattle if it's possible to make some noise in the playoffs with a crappy record.

Dagmar
12-28-2011, 07:40 AM

It didn't bother Seattlt when they beat the Saints after going 7 and 9.

What you are saying, no matter what is you'd rather Oakland reached the playoffs on Sunday if we lose. Cannot and will never agree with that.

Smiling Assassin27
12-28-2011, 09:18 AM
Somebody send Rivers an email posing as a sick child on the verge of a dirtnap. Let's give the Bolts some motivation.

BroncoMan4ever
12-28-2011, 05:19 PM
It didn't bother Seattlt when they beat the Saints after going 7 and 9.

What you are saying, no matter what is you'd rather Oakland reached the playoffs on Sunday if we lose. Cannot and will never agree with that.

my personal standpoint is teams that are deserving should go to the playoffs, and i am sorry, but an 8-8 team is not deserving. i hate the way the playoffs are set up that division winners automatically go to the playoffs and host a playoff game when many times there are other more deserving teams that have to sit at home because they have the misfortune of playing in stronger divisions.

i will root for the Broncos regardless of how they get to the playoffs, but i will feel a lot better about it if they win the division instead of get handed the division.