PDA

View Full Version : We must win no matter what

vonqkilla
12-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Bengals won, @ 9-7 with a loss next week, they go, we must win regardless.

frerottenextelway
12-24-2011, 01:35 PM
This is incorrect.

Blart
12-24-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't think any AFC West team was ever at risk of being a wildcard. :p

Broncos are in if:

SD loses now, wins next week
OR
Broncos win

vonqkilla
12-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Yep, no wildcard possible.

Bring on Orton.

WE GOT THIS

vonqkilla
12-24-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't think any AFC West team was ever at risk of being a wildcard. :p

Broncos are in if:

SD loses now, wins next week
OR
Broncos win

I forgot about that. Could happen....

Vine
12-24-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't think it matters what the Chargers do. Denver has to win next week. Period. I just went over the tiebreaking procedures. I will doublecheck them and post them here.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

To Break a Tie within a division:

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

I will post a complete breakdown of how each of these steps look later in the thread based on the assumption that Denver loses to KC next week, San Diego loses to Detroit today and beats Oakland next week, so that Denver, Oakland and San Diego all finish 8-8, and KC finishes 7-9.

LetsGoBroncos
12-24-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't think it matters what the Chargers do. Denver has to win next week. Period. I just went over the tiebreaking procedures. I will doublecheck them and post them here.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

To Break a Tie within a division:

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

I will post a complete breakdown of how each of these steps look later in the thread based on the assumption that Denver loses to KC next week, San Diego loses to Detroit today and beats Oakland next week, so that Denver, Oakland and San Diego all finish 8-8, and KC finishes 7-9.

Correct, we must win. Since Cincinnati and whoever finishes second in the north already have 9 wins we cannot lose and still get the wild card (we would finish 8-8). Win and we win the division, lose and we are done

oubronco
12-24-2011, 02:05 PM
We will lose

Vine
12-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Tiebreaker 1: Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).

Assuming Denver loses to KC, Denver splits all of their head-to-head games.

San Diego beats Oakland next week, and San Diego and Oakland will both split all of their division games. On to tiebreaker #2.

Vine
12-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Tiebreaker #2: Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

AFC WEST W L T PCT HOME ROAD DIV CONF PF PA DIFF STRK
Denver 8 7 0 .533 3-4-0 5-3-0 3-2-0 6-5-0 306 383 -77 Lost 2
Oakland 8 7 0 .533 3-4-0 5-3-0 3-2-0 6-5-0 333 395 -62 Won 1
San Diego 7 7 0 .500 5-3-0 2-4-0 2-3-0 6-5-0 358 313 +45 Won 3
Kansas City 6 9 0 .400 3-5-0 3-4-0 2-3-0 3-8-0 205 335 -130 Lost 1

I bolded division record. Denver losing to KC puts Denver at 3-3. San Diego beating Oakland puts both of them at 3-3.

On to tiebreaker #3.

extralife
12-24-2011, 02:11 PM
so where would this one rank on the list of numerous collapses over the last five years, if we were knocked out of playoff contention by the guy that started the first five games at QB for us?

bombay
12-24-2011, 02:13 PM
The coaching staff has done a tremendous job of hiding Tebow's deficiencies, but I think the cat is out of the bag now. I'll be surprised if the Broncos win next week.

houghtam
12-24-2011, 02:15 PM
so where would this one rank on the list of numerous collapses over the last five years, if we were knocked out of playoff contention by the guy that started the first five games at QB for us?

To me, nowhere close. I was thinking 4 wins this season. Although I am excited about the prospect of going to the playoffs, if it doesn't happen I will still look back on this season with a smile.

...and then I will move right on to rooting for my Spartans and Tigers.

vonqkilla
12-24-2011, 02:16 PM

It would be the worst one for sure, Elway and cheap ass Bowlen would be to blaim as well.

Horrible decision, we could have even gotten a conpensatory pick.

Soooooo stupid.

Vine
12-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Tiebreaker #3- Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

The AFC West played the NFC North and the AFC East. So this is where you will find the common opponents.

Denver: 4-4 (wins over Minn, Chi, NYJ, Mia, Losses against Det, GB, NE, Buf)

Oak: 3-5 (wins over NYJ, Min, Chi, Losses against Buf, NE, Mia, GB, Det)

SD: 3-5 (wins over Minn, Mia, Buf, Losses against Chi, Det, GB, NE NYJ

Hmmm, after doing a thorough double check, I think Denver can win the AFC west even with a loss against KC next week, as long as SD loses today and beats Oakland next week.

Would like to see this confirmed by a reliable source however.

go_broncos
12-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Tiebreaker #4- Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

The AFC West played the NFC North and the AFC East. So this is where you will find the common opponents.

Hmmm, after doing a thorough double check, I think Denver can win the AFC west even with a loss against KC next week, as long as SD loses today and beats Oakland next week.

:yayaya:

OrangeSe7en
12-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Blart was right.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=96&c=738&f=323671

Go to 4:20 of part 1.

houghtam
12-24-2011, 02:22 PM
It would be the worst one for sure, Elway and cheap ass Bowlen would be to blaim as well.

Horrible decision, we could have even gotten a conpensatory pick.

Soooooo stupid.

Where the hell would we have gotten a compensatory pick from?

broncosteven
12-24-2011, 02:25 PM

In reality we shouldn't be in the position we are. Look at all the luck and execution that needed to happen to win those miracle comebacks.

I think Playoffs would be an unexpected plus this year but if we tank next week it is not the worst thing to happen to the franchise. We are a couple onside kicks or Barber plays away from being a 1-2 win team.

Dagmar
12-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Tiebreaker #3- Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

Perhaps if you read the other threads on the front page you would see that I posted that an hour ago.

It's been confirmed by multiple sources. Jeez.

ol#7
12-24-2011, 02:28 PM
So then, after being Detroit fans this week we are SD fans next week...Cause the Broncos cant keep from end of season collapses. Effing figures.

Vine
12-24-2011, 02:36 PM
The coaching staff has done a tremendous job of hiding Tebow's deficiencies, but I think the cat is out of the bag now. I'll be surprised if the Broncos win next week.

Complete bull****. At one point in the first half Denver had 5 passing plays vs 22 running plays. Denver had several 3 n outs during this stretch. This is why Denver lost the game.

Vine
12-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Perhaps if you read the other threads on the front page you would see that I posted that an hour ago.

It's been confirmed by multiple sources. Jeez.

Well, jeez then.

vonqkilla
12-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Where the hell would we have gotten a compensatory pick from?

Had cheapass Bowlen and Co just paid him to show up and eat at the cafeteria and play catch, we wouldn't be here. Then, after he leaves as a FA, we'd have gotten a pick.

OEII
12-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Dont hold your breath brother. That looked like a team that has already packed it in.

houghtam
12-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Had cheapass Bowlen and Co just paid him to show up and eat at the cafeteria and play catch, we wouldn't be here. Then, after he leaves as a FA, we'd have gotten a pick.

I think you (and everyone else who keeps bringing up comp picks) need to actually research how they're awarded. You don't just "get" picks for losing someone.

"Compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor."

So banking on the comp pick is a bit of a pipe dream in both the Orton and Lloyd instances, as you're still betting on us losing more players than we gain. On a team with as many holes as this one has, do you REALLY think that's going to happen? In addition, what kind of contracts were Orton (29 year old journeyman) and Lloyd (30 year old with exactly one good season) going to get in free agency? What team would make him a starter, and what's the likelihood he would start many games? And what kind of postseason success would they likely have? Finally, you're talking about potentially getting a pick in 2013, or saving $2.5 million now. As a businessman that's a decision I make every time.

Please learn a little more about the comp pick process before spouting off about it.

tsiguy96
12-24-2011, 02:58 PM
this weeks game meant essentially nothing since OAK won. its all about next week, and denver needs a win.

vonqkilla
12-24-2011, 03:01 PM
I think you (and everyone else who keeps bringing up comp picks) need to actually research how they're awarded. You don't just "get" picks for losing someone.

"Compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor."

So banking on the comp pick is a bit of a pipe dream in both the Orton and Lloyd instances, as you're still betting on us losing more players than we gain. On a team with as many holes as this one has, do you REALLY think that's going to happen? In addition, what kind of contracts were Orton (29 year old journeyman) and Lloyd (30 year old with exactly one good season) going to get in free agency? What team would make him a starter, and what's the likelihood he would start many games? And what kind of postseason success would they likely have? Finally, you're talking about potentially getting a pick in 2013, or saving $2.5 million now. As a businessman that's a decision I make every time.

Please learn a little more about the comp pick process before spouting off about it.

Whether we get a pick or not is the last thing to worry about, two teams needed a qb, both of whom we play. It was a horrible decision, just beyond stupid.
Im not spouting of, im repeating what has been reported.

Its been widely reported that KC would get a pick.

It was an extremely stupid and unnecessary risk to take. Especially at that point in time!!!!

Soooo fing stupid.

You are just as stupid if you think facing Orton is better than that left handed girl scout.

houghtam
12-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Whether we get a pick or not is the last thing to worry about, two teams needed a qb, both of whom we play. It was a horrible decision, just beyond stupid.

Its been widely reported that KC would get a pick.

It was an extremely stupid and unnecessary risk to take. Especially at that point in time!!!!

Soooo fing stupid.

Link?

vonqkilla
12-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Link?

Stfu about the pick, im not digging for a link. Denverpost.com

Bottomline, it was stupid to give an opponent a significant upgrade at the most important position.

So fing stupid.

houghtam
12-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Stfu about the pick, im not digging for a link. Denverpost.com

Bottomline, it was stupid to give an opponent a significant upgrade at the most important position.

So fing stupid..

vonqkilla
12-24-2011, 03:15 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Broncos-Bet-with-House-Money.html

It was stupid on every level.

Elway should have put him on paid leave if he was showing up late being a jackass at practice.

OrangeSe7en
12-24-2011, 03:20 PM
this weeks game meant essentially nothing since OAK won. its all about next week, and denver needs a win.

Wrong. If San Diego loses to Detroit, it means something since all that needs to happen is for SD to win next week.

tsiguy96
12-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Wrong. If San Diego loses to Detroit, it means something since all that needs to happen is for SD to win next week.

definitely wrong.

san diego loses to detroit but beats OAK next week. denver is in without even playing. san diego is no longer a threat to win AFCW without winning today.

BroncoBen
12-24-2011, 03:25 PM

To me this Bills loss is more at the feet of the Coaches. The Broncos came out running and scored.. the Bills adjusted to stop the run. The Broncos kept trying to run, they didn't adjust until the 2nd half.

The Broncos had some success... but the Bills keep the pressure.. Tebow had his worst game.. no magic this time.

OrangeSe7en
12-24-2011, 03:39 PM
To me this Bills loss is more at the feet of the Coaches. The Broncos came out running and scored.. the Bills adjusted to stop the run. The Broncos kept trying to run, they didn't adjust until the 2nd half.

The Broncos had some success... but the Bills keep the pressure.. Tebow had his worst game.. no magic this time.

This is pretty accurate. In previous games, Denver could fall back on its pass rush. But this week and last week, Denver has faced QBs who get rid of the ball quickly while Von has been less effective with his injury...not to mention a lot of rookies in the secondary.

Hopefully, next week, Orton turns into a statue and holds on to the ball too long like he did when he was in Denver. Either that or he needs to hit the deck...another staple of his time here.