PDA

View Full Version : Why don't our receivers get any separation?

Doggcow
12-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Why don't our receivers get open at all? Tebow is having tons of time, and for the most part noone was open downfield.

Is it bad playcalling? Do they just not make good breaks or what?

TDmvp
12-24-2011, 01:22 PM
It's like no one on this team can get open in the first 5 seconds.

Doggcow
12-24-2011, 01:23 PM
It's like no one on this team can get open in the first 5 seconds.

I know, it's not Tebow making bad reads for the most part, it's none of his reads being open.

barryr
12-24-2011, 01:24 PM
That is why finding a WR with speed would help stretch the field since Royal is pretty uesless and can't do it.

enjolras
12-24-2011, 01:25 PM
That's just simply not true. Spend the money on NFL game rewind and watch the coaches tape portions. You'll see receivers that have separation all over the place.

What you'll also see is that Tebow is VERY tentative. He doesn't trust his arm or his accuracy. He has receivers breaking open early and he holds the ball. Tebow wants his receivers to be open the same way they were in college, and that just doesn't happen in the NFL. This isn't the receivers issue, this is Tim Tebows issue.

Defenses know this. They are playing bump coverage and blitzing 5 or 6 on most plays. They're taking advantage of the fact he won't throw it early, and getting after him. On the scramble drill Tebow is still tentative.

It's a really big problem...

lolcopter
12-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I know, it's not Tebow making bad reads for the most part, it's none of his reads being open.

in all fairness, there were quite a few instances where guys were open but tebow completely missed them

on that first INT to decker, fells was WIDE OPEN to the right

same thing with his second INT to, i think it was royal open this time

a lot of times our receivers cannot get seperation or, heaven forbid, catch the ball when it hits their hands... but a lot of the inneffectiveness in the passing game falls on tebow too. he just isn't at a point right now where he can dissect the defense and know where the open guy is going to be. he's still a little panicky back there, and he tends to lock onto his primary target, which unfortunately has been butterfingers decker way too much

Jetmeck
12-24-2011, 01:27 PM
That's just simply not true. Spend the money on NFL game rewind and watch the coaches tape portions. You'll see receivers that have separation all over the place.

What you'll also see is that Tebow is VERY tentative. He doesn't trust his arm or his accuracy. He has receivers breaking open early and he holds the ball. Tebow wants his receivers to be open the same way they were in college, and that just doesn't happen in the NFL. This isn't the receivers issue, this is Tim Tebows issue.

Defenses know this. They are playing bump coverage and blitzing 5 or 6 on most plays. They're taking advantage of the fact he won't throw it early, and getting after him. On the scramble drill Tebow is still tentative.

ignorant rant................

lolcopter
12-24-2011, 01:28 PM
.What you'll also see is that Tebow is VERY tentative. He doesn't trust his arm or his accuracy. He has receivers breaking open early and he holds the ball. Tebow wants his receivers to be open the same way they were in college, and that just doesn't happen in the NFL. This isn't the receivers issue, this is Tim Tebows issue.

yep. he is not to a point yet where he can throw with anticipation

Jay3
12-24-2011, 01:29 PM

It's both, though. Tebow does what you say, but the receivers also aren't reliably getting separation. It makes it hard for him to form good habits. It makes it hard on the recievers to not get any reinforcement.

Stuck in a negative feedback loop.

Broncos4tw
12-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Actually, our receivers get open quite often. There is a reason most of the playbook consists of running plays, and our passing game is very limited. Phil made a point to mention every time against the Pats, when receivers were open that Tebow never saw. It's quite often.

When "none" of your receivers are ever getting open... either that's true or it's the QB not finding them. Which is more likely?

Broncomutt
12-24-2011, 01:30 PM
I saw alot of guys open today. Tebow either ignored them, missed them or threw it to the other team.

Love Tebow, but he holds the ball way too long.

teknic
12-24-2011, 01:33 PM

This. Tebow had receivers open all day long. He either didn't see them, or was under pressure and had to scramble around. Blitz Tebow all game long, and you don't give him the time to find the open man. The other problem is that Tebow is looking for the deep receiver to come open, which is why the play takes longer to develop. That's fine if you have the protection, otherwise you run into problems.

The offensive line is outstanding at run blocking, but below average at pass blocking. Even a 4 man rush was generating significant pressure against the Broncos o-line.

Hercules Rockefeller
12-24-2011, 01:33 PM
ignorant rant................

No it's not. Tim's hesitance is massively obvious, especially if you're actually at the games. He has open WRs, he either doesn't throw the ball when he's supposed to (i.e. 3 step drop and out) or he locks onto 1 WR and doesn't see the open ones.

GreatBronco16
12-24-2011, 01:34 PM
yep. he is not to a point yet where he can throw with anticipation

Very correct with this. Well he has done it before, but probably more by accident. I'm hoping with a complete offseason to work with coaches and the team, we will see much improvement from Tebow in the passing game.

I really hate how he doesn't step up in the pocket most of the time. He's allways drifting backwards.

cutthemdown
12-24-2011, 01:36 PM
It's because all the Broncos WR only sort of ok players. None of them the type a defense has to account for. Broncos need a true number 1 WR to lead the group. Then guys like Decker and Demarius can contribute more.

Jetmeck
12-24-2011, 01:36 PM
No it's not. Tim's hesitance is massively obvious, especially if you're actually at the games. He has open WRs, he either doesn't throw the ball when he's supposed to (i.e. 3 step drop and out) or he locks onto 1 WR and doesn't see the open ones.

BS open receivers..........in your dreams

GreatBronco16
12-24-2011, 01:37 PM
The offensive line is outstanding at run blocking, but below average at pass blocking. Even a 4 man rush was generating significant pressure against the Broncos o-line.

Every team they play that has good defensive tackles, the Oline fails more than not on protection. Our interior line is very weak with pass protection. I would very much love to see us get a true RT and move Franklin over to guard next to Clady.

DBroncos4life
12-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Ask the Phins, Skins, and Rams.

peacepipe
12-24-2011, 01:44 PM
wow,another thread dedicated to blaming everyone but tebow thread.

cutthemdown
12-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Tebow needs work also but i don't see a lot of dominance from Broncos WR. DT looks slower then before the injury, Decker can play, but he isn't special, the TE are not special etc etc.

Broncos should look for playmakers, especially since they let Lloyd go to Rams.

lolcopter
12-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Decker can play.

could have fooled me

oubronco
12-24-2011, 01:57 PM
There were WR's running wide open on crossing routes and Tebow would only throw it deep

He needs alot of work

oubronco
12-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Exactly

Agamemnon
12-24-2011, 01:59 PM
The receivers' ability to get separation isn't the problem. The problem is that we have a completely predictable passing game that fails to utilize half the tools of our offense. Only running deep and semi-deep routes constantly leaves our passing game exposed to various strategies, especially when our o-line is being exploited in pass pro.

lolcopter
12-24-2011, 02:00 PM
The receivers' ability to get separation isn't the problem. .

yes, it most definitely is a problem. the QB struggles to make the right reads at times, but often times our WRs are completely locked up by average DBs

our WR corps is average at best, below average when compared to the rest of the league imo

oubronco
12-24-2011, 02:04 PM
The receivers' ability to get separation isn't the problem. The problem is that we have a completely predictable passing game that fails to utilize half the tools of our offense. Only running deep and semi-deep routes constantly leaves our passing game exposed to various strategies, especially when our o-line is being exploited in pass pro.

BS Tebow had wide open WR's on shallow crossing routes on two of his INT's and he threw it deep both times it's not all the WR's fault

teknic
12-24-2011, 02:09 PM
BS Tebow had wide open WR's on shallow crossing routes on two of his INT's and he threw it deep both times it's not all the WR's fault

This.

You can't put it all on the receivers. The Broncos failed on offense as a team.

Tebow had receivers open all game long, but he either didn't see them, or was under pressure and trying to avoid the sack. If the offensive line was competent in pass protection, and Tebow had the time to make the reads, the offense would look significantly better. Tebow seems to look for the deep route first (which is a good thing if you can contain the pass rush), so when the pass rush gets to him quickly, he wasn't able to find the open guy underneath. Teams are going to continue to blitz Tebow on almost every down until he proves that he can throw consistently against the blitz.

Tebow missed some plays, pass protection was terrible, and the receivers dropped a few that hit them right in the hands. A complete team failure.

Jetmeck
12-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Wow really because no one calling the game mentioned wide open receivers ???

WTF cause they always call those out especially when Tebow screws up.......BS

teknic
12-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Wow really because no one calling the game mentioned wide open receivers ???

WTF cause they always call those out especially when Tebow screws up.......BS

Please go back and watch the game. I'm not trying to be an ass, but it is a fact that Tebow had receivers open and didn't throw to them.

I like Tebow, and I don't put the poor offensive performance entirely on him, but to claim that he is without fault because the receivers had no separation is retarded.

barryr
12-24-2011, 02:28 PM
This game, as well as last week, goes to show what I and others have stated, even during the win streak. The Broncos still lack play makers, on offense and on defense. You have to be able to turn small plays into big ones since you can't expect to go 10-15 play, 80 yards that many times in a game. Right now, the Broncos do not have such players on offense right now.

On defense, when Miller is not a factor, it has the same look as it did the previous few seasons. Nobody making any plays, no pass rush, not stopping the run, and not causing any turnovers.

It is why I stated some time ago, this team in reality is at least another one more good draft and free agency away from being a true contending team. But if they don't get more speed on this team, it will be much longer than that.

lolcopter
12-24-2011, 02:31 PM
^
one more draft? i think we're further than that, tbh

our defense never seems to get those gamechanging turnovers. like, never. if we had multiple pick 6's like buffalo did today i might have a heart attack on the spot

barryr
12-24-2011, 02:33 PM
^

our defense never seems to get those gamechanging turnovers. like, never. if we had multiple pick 6's like buffalo did today i might have a heart attack on the spot

Maybe so, that is why I stated at least one more draft and why I have stated more than once, trading down would be a good option, with more chances to find some impact players.

OEII
12-24-2011, 02:41 PM
^

Dude did you not watch the Jets, Vikings, and Bears games? You retarded? You Tebow sycophants are amazing. What is becoming quite clear is that the Broncos won earlier because the defense was playing over thier heads and that covered up for the shortcomings of Tebow at QB. Now they have come back to earth, and the reality is we get blown out by the hapless Bills. I think Tebow time in the NFL has been figured out, and Tebow doesn't have the skills to adjust to the NFL game. This is going to get very ugly but what's evident, Tebow isn't an NFL qb and Merril Hodges is redeemed. He warned us, and we didn't listen.

teknic
12-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Dude did you not watch the Jets, Vikings, and Bears games? You retarded? You Tebow sycophants are amazing. What is becoming quite clear is that the Broncos won earlier because the defense was playing over thier heads and that covered up for the shortcomings of Tebow at QB. Now they have come back to earth, and the reality is we get blown out by the hapless Bills. I think Tebow time in the NFL has been figured out, and Tebow doesn't have the skills to adjust to the NFL game. This is going to get very ugly but what's evident, Tebow isn't an NFL qb and Merril Hodges is redeemed. He warned us, and we didn't listen.

Hilarious!

Are you trying out a new comedy routine?

McDman
12-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Tebow missed plenty of wide open receivers all day.

vonqkilla
12-24-2011, 02:47 PM
How about Decker's drop...

Was a 12 pt game with 10 min to go @ Buffalo 20.

Open or not, we need a wr bad. Our td to open 3rd, every completion was to a te.

ghwk
12-24-2011, 02:51 PM
BS open receivers..........in your dreams

Seriously you need to take off the Tebow glasses and actually watch the game

barryr
12-24-2011, 02:57 PM
There isn't a QBM especially a young one, who misses open receivers, not to mention one with no training camp with young receivers and no ability to get any kind of rhythm to start games since run so much to begin every game.

zdoor
12-24-2011, 02:57 PM
This game, as well as last week, goes to show what I and others have stated, even during the win streak. The Broncos still lack play makers, on offense and on defense. You have to be able to turn small plays into big ones since you can't expect to go 10-15 play, 80 yards that many times in a game. Right now, the Broncos do not have such players on offense right now.

On defense, when Miller is not a factor, it has the same look as it did the previous few seasons. Nobody making any plays, no pass rush, not stopping the run, and not causing any turnovers.

It is why I stated some time ago, this team in reality is at least another one more good draft and free agency away from being a true contending team. But if they don't get more speed on this team, it will be much longer than that.

I agree... Tebowing looked like a young flustered QB today and we have no other go to playmaker, especially with Willis gimpy... I liked when we mixed in TE's but we do not do at near enough. And, Tebow did have open guys and a couple of the picks but choose the long ball. IMO, he panicked too soon and tried to force th big play. Our play calling , especially before the half, did our entire O, no favors.

Cito Pelon
12-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Tebow looks long all the time, he won't or can't take any short pass. That's a problem. A big problem.

OrangeSe7en
12-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Trade Decker and a 3rd for Harvin.

lolcopter
12-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Trade Decker and a 3rd for Harvin.

gonna take a lot more than that

ghwk
12-24-2011, 03:09 PM
I like Tebow but Cam is a better QB right now.

TD4HOF
12-24-2011, 03:09 PM
I think the coaching strategy from earlier in the season is coming back to bite Fox a bit. First we kept Tebow under serious wraps. Then we started winning and it became a "thing." By the time we're forced to throw, the natural tendency for a young QB is to look deep every time. We need balance from the opening gun and some one on the staff or in the administration needs to tell Tebow, "hell with that, the training wheels are off, let it rip."

I am fully on board Tebow as QOTF but this much is crsystal clear to me: we must, must have a good running game. Probably an obvious comment here.

As for the Defense, where are the mutha****** turnovers?!?!?!

OrangeSe7en
12-24-2011, 03:10 PM
gonna take a lot more than that

"A lot"...? Like what? A 1st and Decker? Get real.

swaiy
12-24-2011, 03:19 PM

I bet you were moist when you typed that.

NFLBRONCO
12-24-2011, 03:19 PM

I agree 100% just not sure how easy it will be adding wr's to this offense and shape of the D right now. A playmaker wants the ball alot more then this offense will provide tough sell imo.

RB with speed would help soo much to help Willis M.

Cito Pelon
12-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Tebow missed plenty of wide open receivers all day.

He's still learning.

lolcopter
12-24-2011, 03:22 PM
"A lot"...? Like what? A 1st and Decker? Get real.

decker has no trade value. none. zero. and if you think you're getting harvin for a 3rd, i hate to be the bearer of bad news...

elsid13
12-24-2011, 03:23 PM
He's still learning.

to throw??? (;D)

Bigdawg26
12-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't know what happened but Decker has started dropping the ball. It has changed from Bay Bay to Royal now Decker. I think it may be a timing and trust issue. Tebow really is holding the ball WAY TO LONG and didn't have enough reps with the guys to get a feel for them. I think (and hope) the offseason will help Tebow get more of a feel for antipication of how the throw the WR's open, and vice versa for them.

barryr
12-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I agree 100% just not sure how easy it will be adding wr's to this offense and shape of the D right now. A playmaker wants the ball alot more then this offense will provide tough sell imo.

RB with speed would help soo much to help Willis M.

They will have to draft their playmakers not get in free agency anyway IMO.

elsid13
12-24-2011, 03:30 PM
They are getting separation, problem is that Tebow thinks this is college and doesn't understand this is as open as players get in the NFL. He needs to throw the ball, and let them make plays.

Cito Pelon
12-24-2011, 03:32 PM
to throw??? (;D)

Yeah, he still has a lot to learn. But he's an apt pupil. He'll learn and be better.

Orange4Life
12-24-2011, 03:34 PM
We have too many problems on offense to blame one group. Our receivers are all average.
They show signs of being good with experience but they are not their yet. We could use a real burner that we just don't have right now. We are lacking speed in our WR and RB's.
Tebow is inconstant at best. He can throw a good or bad ball at any time. Hopefully a full off season will help eliminate some of these problems.
Our O-Line is below average in pass protection and above average running. They are very young tho and I'm not willing to give up on them yet.
We have one legitimate RB who is banged up.
Our play calling is pathetic. When you take the whole second quarter of and run every time its not helping anything. You have to let them play at least a little bit. No need to be the Packers but come on man!
The common denominator is we are extremely young on offense which is going to lead to inconsistent play, I think we have a chance to get much better.

OrangeSe7en
12-24-2011, 03:34 PM
decker has no trade value. none. zero. and if you think you're getting harvin for a 3rd, i hate to be the bearer of bad news...

And I hate to break it to your but you're the bearer of nothing. Seriously, what are you basing this on? The truth is, teams overvalue draft picks all the time. We got 2 seconds for Marshall straight up and he was far more productive than Harvin has been.

Stop making stuff up if you dont know.

lolcopter
12-24-2011, 03:36 PM
They are getting separation, problem is that Tebow thinks this is college and doesn't understand this is as open as players get in the NFL. He needs to throw the ball, and let them make plays.

actually, the problem is tebow has never had to throw with anticipation and it's obvious he still has a long way to go in that regard.

we've had wide open WRs, and i mean WIDE OPEN... he either doesn't see them, or panics too soon to make it through the progression.

and often times, they're not getting seperation at all. NE, the worst secondary in the league, effectively locked us down most of last week.

vonqkilla
12-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Deckers drop killed the comeback.

Special teams led to 17 pt differential.

Bad playcalling on 3rd and 1 & 3rd and 2 killed two drives.

Tebow missed a wide open Deck in 1st qtr.

Only 1 sack today I counted.

Spiller killed us. Bad run D all around.

Team loss for sure. Lost all phases.

Drew A. Blank
12-24-2011, 03:41 PM

They don't make plays. Period. Bay Bay has been showing much more lately but Decker and Royal do not make plays. They may, MAY, catch it if it hits them in the skillets but even then it is only a 50-50 chance.

Archer81
12-24-2011, 03:55 PM
I think its obvious that Denver needs a threat in the middle of the field. I am not asking for the second coming of Shannon sharpe, but someone to pull coverages off of our WR's would be nice.

:Broncos:

SonOfLe-loLang
12-24-2011, 04:00 PM

There's a lot of truth to this. I think Thomas is probably our only receiver capable of it, but Tim needs to "throw his receivers open." Obviously on many plays, receivers will be very open, but look what tom brady does. Often times he trusts his guys to go and make plays.

KO5K
12-24-2011, 04:03 PM
I wish McCoy would call some quick passes, I swear pretty much every attempt Tebow attempted today was over 10 yards. These slow developing routes just make things too complicated for a guy like Tebow.

Look at a guy like Joe Flacco, he just dumps the ball of to Ray Rice every play and they pick up nice yardage. When was the last time McCoy called a screen pass? Or a bubble screen? We hated them with a passion when McDaniels was constantly calling them but every now and again would be nice.

It's just set up to fail.

Inaccurate, young QB + Awful receivers + Incompetent playcaller = A cluster**** of epic proportions.

lolcopter
12-24-2011, 04:04 PM
And I hate to break it to your but you're the bearer of nothing. Seriously, what are you basing this on? The truth is, teams overvalue draft picks all the time. We got 2 seconds for Marshall straight up and he was far more productive than Harvin has been.

Stop making stuff up if you dont know.

what? outside of AP, harvin is easily their best playmaker. if you think they're giving him up for a 3rd round pick and a WR who can't catch the ball, you're high.

i mean, harvin plays WR, RB, and return guy. he was a 1st round pick and has 20+ touchdowns in the league. 'nuff said.

Gort
12-24-2011, 04:14 PM
honestly, they could trade Tebow and draft a QB and we'd still be b****ing about Fox and McCoy. Fox wants to run the ball over and over and over, and only take shots downfield when he thinks the D is sleeping. we are not going to have a NE/NO/GB style offense with these 2 guys. if we could put away teams early by running the ball, i'd be fine with that. but this nonsense where we go 3-and-out all game until the 4th quarter has worn out its welcome with me. this is not Shanny's offense anymore. this is an offense that even Dan Reeves would call conservative.

jutang
12-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Tebow needs more work with his ability to read coverages, but he was put in a bad situation in which all new QBs would struggle. Tebow does not quite have the consistent ability to beat defenses in which they are expecting pass. He has done excellent in certain prevent and hurry up modes that gives everyone one of us hope that he can eventually excel.

The combo of the D making Spiller looks Darren Spreoles and ineffective running causing 3rd and long opportunities exposed Tebow's weaknesses.

I've been trying to give McCoy a pass this season, but I hate his predictable play calling. The offense drives right down the field for a td. I don't mind doing the same thing again until the other team can stop you, but you go 3 and out, it is time to mix some play acting passes out of first down before the second half. The lack of balance is mind boggling. First with McD it is all passing and now with Fox it is all running. You never sense that he can get defenses guessing, which is awful given how many different ways Tebow can create mismatches.

DENVERDUI55
12-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I saw alot of guys open today. Tebow either ignored them, missed them or threw it to the other team.

Love Tebow, but he holds the ball way too long.

I do too as a person but not as the QB of my favorite football team.

CEH
12-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Believe it or not we may be in good shape because really the only person through this whole season to be level headed is John Elway. He may know of what he speaks of.

Armchair Bronco
12-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Thank you spelling "separation" correctly. :thumbsup:

"There's A RAT in separate."

Popps
12-24-2011, 08:10 PM

Yea, this would have been my guess. I also just don't think we're installing enough quick, timing patterns for him to loosen the defense up. But, that's not exactly his forte as a passer. So, something has to give at a certain point. Hopefully we'll improve on this going forward.

teknic
12-24-2011, 09:20 PM
I wish McCoy would call some quick passes, I swear pretty much every attempt Tebow attempted today was over 10 yards. These slow developing routes just make things too complicated for a guy like Tebow.

Look at a guy like Joe Flacco, he just dumps the ball of to Ray Rice every play and they pick up nice yardage. When was the last time McCoy called a screen pass? Or a bubble screen? We hated them with a passion when McDaniels was constantly calling them but every now and again would be nice.

It's just set up to fail.

Inaccurate, young QB + Awful receivers + Incompetent playcaller = A cluster**** of epic proportions.

McCoy has tried calling a few screens, but they're not working. The way Tebow is being defended is more of a passive outside-contain than a rush. Watch how the defensive ends are playing against Tebow, they stay wide and let the play develop before they commit. When they have called screens, the ends have been able to stop them before any damage is done.

Overall, I don't have an issue with how McCoy is calling the games. I wish he was better at making adjustments on the fly, but he has improved as a playcaller significantly so far this year.

McDman
12-24-2011, 09:29 PM
He's still learning.

I know, I never said he was done. He can still become good or still become terrible. Everyone has a bad game.

Dedhed
12-24-2011, 09:45 PM

Hey. Welcome back! Missed your posts while the team was winning.:welcome:

Dedhed
12-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I do too as a person but not as the QB of my favorite football team.

Missed you during the winning streak as well.