PDA

View Full Version : Halftime: We should try this new "forward pass" thing I've been hearing about!

DomCasual
12-24-2011, 12:36 PM
I've heard about it. I wonder if it could work.

Kaylore
12-24-2011, 12:38 PM
very, very frustrated with the game.

go_broncos
12-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I was afraid this thing will happen..We somehow screw up late in the season.

Jay3
12-24-2011, 12:39 PM
That seemed easy enough.

DomCasual
Wow. It really does work. Weird.

go_broncos
I am frustrated to see it happening every year.

DomCasual
12-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Revolutionary!

cabronco
12-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Coaching staff seems Bi-Polar. Predictable running all 1st half, and have to play catch up leading to predictable passing for the 2nd half. Any positive plays get negated by flags or the refs.

enjolras
12-24-2011, 01:48 PM
We're finding out why Tebow doesn't get to throw the ball much. Two pick-6's in a row.

The second was caused by his horrendous windup.

So here we are. We are terrible at the QB position. We are falling apart on defense. Yet were going to draft in the bottom half of the first round. How do you get better?

Hercules Rockefeller
12-24-2011, 01:49 PM
This is probably why they don't pass a lot.

Shocker that McCoy probably has a better grasp on what Tim can/can't do than the people here.

DBroncos4life
12-24-2011, 01:50 PM
This thread has all the makings of something that will become epic.

BroncoBeavis
12-24-2011, 01:53 PM
We spend 99% of the game having the defense know EXACTLY what we're going to do. We run until we have no choice but to pass, down multiple scores.

Tebow's worst game, no argument. But he's consistently put in the worst possible situations. Eventually it was going to melt down.

I don't have any idea how an NFL level coordinator doesn't understand that both the pass and the run work better when the defense isn't sure which is coming.

cabronco
12-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Bad throw into the end zone.

TonyR
12-24-2011, 01:58 PM
And now you know why we don't pass more than we do...

theAPAOps5
12-24-2011, 01:59 PM
No, no we shouldn't

HAT
12-24-2011, 02:04 PM
We are terrible at the QB position. We are falling apart on defense. Yet were going to draft in the bottom half of the first round. How do you get better?

You keep building on D and hope Tebow can improve going forward with a traditional off-season. Not just him improving but the coaching staff installing an actual offense.

Defense, defense & more defense.

anon
12-24-2011, 02:07 PM
The thing people forget is that the guy is still essentially a rookie QB with no training camp reps, and he was raw to begin with. We were on a nice little run, but there will still be adversity. It's really interesting how people fall back to "well, obviously the coaches see something that we don't" when we keep making fun of the fact that they tried to tell us that "Kyle Orton gives us our best chance to win."

Did anybody in here realistically believe we would contend for the division at the beginning of the season? I'm just trying to enjoy a surprising season. Frustrating at times, sure... but while I can't say that Tebow is the least of my worries, I can't pin this loss just on him -- to quote the staff, we need to see the "body of work".

Jetmeck
12-24-2011, 02:08 PM
We're finding out why Tebow doesn't get to throw the ball much. Two pick-6's in a row.

The second was caused by his horrendous windup.

So here we are. We are terrible at the QB position. We are falling apart on defense. Yet were going to draft in the bottom half of the first round. How do you get better?

Actually the first pick 6 was a perfectly thrown deep ball that the safety made a perfect play on. Regardless the defense new we had to throw because the defense sucked balls today and couldn't stop a pathetic Bill's team and the OC didn't pass till it was already decided.

Lot of blame to go around but I damn sure would put our defense as the worst offender.................

DBroncos4life
12-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Actually the first pick 6 was a perfectly thrown deep ball that the safety made a perfect play on. Regardless the defense new we had to throw because the defense sucked balls today and couldn't stop a pathetic Bill's team and the OC didn't pass till it was already decided.

Lot of blame to go around but I damn sure would put our defense as the worst offender.................

He had the TE wide open on that play. He didn't even look off the saftey that is why he picked the ball off.

TerrElway
12-24-2011, 02:24 PM
You know how this all ends right? KC beats them next week at home they miss the playoffs and get a mid round pick and the ridicule from all the Tebow AND Bronco haters will be unbearable.

I put a lot of this one on the coaching staff and their unbelievable lack of any sort of adjustment whatsoever.

DomCasual
12-24-2011, 02:37 PM
I would argue that the passing game would go better if we tried a little harder to avoid the 3-and-outs in the first half. I'm not suggesting they become the 1980 Chargers, or anything. But part of why we are sucking so bad in the 2nd quarter is because the defense is adjusting to the running game, and we're not adjusting to their adjustments.

The thing that happened frequently during the winning streak was a lot of 2nd and 5-or-less. The last two games, we're been getting stuffed on 1st down - especially in the 2nd quarter. Then, more often than not, we'll try running again on 2nd down. Now, it's 3rd and long - hardly Tebow's strength.

anon
12-24-2011, 02:44 PM
I agree here. If they are going to be pass happy in the late 3rd and early 4th quarter, might as well mix it up. But Fox is a conservative coach, so perhaps he'd rather throw a game away (forgive the pun) late in the game when pressing or playing catch-up, rather than lose it early in the first half due to turnovers.

Tebow would be more dangerous as a threat to run when the defense is guessing more. If he really puts more of a burden on the defense by being a true dual threat, we're probably not taking maximum advantage with the way we are using him right now.

That being said, I think I do see that they are trying to bring him along slowly. If they are still playing this way next season, then I might be more concerned. Our defense isn't good enough yet to play this kind of ball.

But maybe Fox-ball is as real as Marty-ball... hopefully for us, it will be with better postseason results.

I would argue that the passing game would go better if we tried a little harder to avoid the 3-and-outs in the first half. I'm not suggesting they become the 1980 Chargers, or anything. But part of why we are sucking so bad in the 2nd quarter is because the defense is adjusting to the running game, and we're not adjusting to their adjustments.

The thing that happened frequently during the winning streak was a lot of 2nd and 5-or-less. The last two games, we're been getting stuffed on 1st down - especially in the 2nd quarter. Then, more often than not, we'll try running again on 2nd down. Now, it's 3rd and long - hardly Tebow's strength.

Agamemnon
12-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Not letting Tebow throw early, only to turn around and put it all on his arm when the game is getting out of hand really doesn't seem fair to the kid. Those comebacks were amazing, but expecting him to do that every week is retarded.

TheChamp24
12-24-2011, 02:50 PM
What irks me is we try two straigth runs up the middle to Buffalo's strength, and get nothing. Its 3rd and long and obvious passing down. We played right into their strengths.
More screens are needed, with short slants, quick hitches, etc.

TheChamp24
12-24-2011, 02:56 PM
What irks me is we try two straigth runs up the middle to Buffalo's strength, and get nothing. Its 3rd and long and obvious passing down. We played right into their strengths.
More screens are needed, with short slants, quick hitches, etc.

broncosteven
12-24-2011, 03:05 PM
I much prefer running the ball every down.

Buffalo took the edge on both sides of the ball and forced Tim to throw. Forcing Tim to throw is like being on an airplane when the pilot has a grabber and someone who never has been behind the controls has to fly the plane.

bombay
12-24-2011, 03:50 PM

Shocker that McCoy probably has a better grasp on what Tim can/can't do than the people here.

Amazing but true.

barryr
12-24-2011, 03:55 PM
A passing offense needs rhythm and time together to be effective. A training camp together is one step, but any QB can tell you hard to complete passes when rarely passing during games, especially in the beginning of games and only passing when have to, and doing so without an elite WR to boot. Look at what happened to Bradford and Sanchez this year.

elsid13
12-24-2011, 04:28 PM
The thing people forget is that the guy is still essentially a rookie QB with no training camp reps, and he was raw to begin with. We were on a nice little run, but there will still be adversity. It's really interesting how people fall back to "well, obviously the coaches see something that we don't" when we keep making fun of the fact that they tried to tell us that "Kyle Orton gives us our best chance to win."

Did anybody in here realistically believe we would contend for the division at the beginning of the season? I'm just trying to enjoy a surprising season. Frustrating at times, sure... but while I can't say that Tebow is the least of my worries, I can't pin this loss just on him -- to quote the staff, we need to see the "body of work".

At this point of his career, he is not a rookie or like one. He has been through a complete season (last year), most of this year as a starter and knows what it is to be pro. Also before the lockout he knew what he had to work on to improve his game and didn't seem to do anything to work on his delivery or watch game film, both of which didn't need OTAs or coaches to talk to him about it. At this point it an excuses.

ghwk
12-24-2011, 04:28 PM
We spend 99% of the game having the defense know EXACTLY what we're going to do. We run until we have no choice but to pass, down multiple scores.

Tebow's worst game, no argument. But he's consistently put in the worst possible situations. Eventually it was going to melt down.

I don't have any idea how an NFL level coordinator doesn't understand that both the pass and the run work better when the defense isn't sure which is coming.

How come you aren't coaching an nfl team?

BroncoBen
12-24-2011, 04:36 PM
You know how this all ends right? KC beats them next week at home they miss the playoffs and get a mid round pick and the ridicule from all the Tebow AND Bronco haters will be unbearable.

I put a lot of this one on the coaching staff and their unbelievable lack of any sort of adjustment whatsoever.

I agree... the coaching staff needs to run laps when they get back to Denver.

RhymesayersDU
12-24-2011, 04:47 PM

I wanted to quote both of these posts because I thought they made good points. First, with Herc. Obviously, you're correct. The coaches do not want this guy passing, it's pretty clear. Whether it's his throwing motion or accuracy or ability to read defenses, there's something there they clearly don't like.

With that said, I think BB has a great point as well, and it's been a problem for years, even before this staff. For some reason, we feel the need to run the most vanilla, anybody-could-guess-them plays. And let's forget about Tebow for a second. It's not just him. Those third-and-1's we can't pick up? It's because the defense knows we're going to run up the middle, we still try and do that, and then we wonder why it gets stuffed. It was like the goal line debacle in Tennessee where we couldn't punch it in from the 1. Everybody in the stadium knew what we were going to run, and we ran it anyways.

I guess my point is, there are issues of both talent and coaching, at least IMO. I hope that a middle ground can be found. I'm not saying let Tebow throw the ball every time like it was a game of Madden, but we can't have him only throw 4 times in one half either. And we can't just have our offense consist of run up the middle, run up the middle, 3rd and long.

I realize the coaching staff has an obligation to win games, and to think of the best interest of all 53 players and not just the QB. But if the guy throws an INT (or 4) in a game, so what? The world isn't going to come to an end. I'd rather we get a little aggressive and make mistakes then just play not to lose and as vanilla as possible.

Mogulseeker
12-24-2011, 05:38 PM
I wanted to quote both of these posts because I thought they made good points. First, with Herc. Obviously, you're correct. The coaches do not want this guy passing, it's pretty clear. Whether it's his throwing motion or accuracy or ability to read defenses, there's something there they clearly don't like.

With that said, I think BB has a great point as well, and it's been a problem for years, even before this staff. For some reason, we feel the need to run the most vanilla, anybody-could-guess-them plays. And let's forget about Tebow for a second. It's not just him. Those third-and-1's we can't pick up? It's because the defense knows we're going to run up the middle, we still try and do that, and then we wonder why it gets stuffed. It was like the goal line debacle in Tennessee where we couldn't punch it in from the 1. Everybody in the stadium knew what we were going to run, and we ran it anyways.

I guess my point is, there are issues of both talent and coaching, at least IMO. I hope that a middle ground can be found. I'm not saying let Tebow throw the ball every time like it was a game of Madden, but we can't have him only throw 4 times in one half either. And we can't just have our offense consist of run up the middle, run up the middle, 3rd and long.

I realize the coaching staff has an obligation to win games, and to think of the best interest of all 53 players and not just the QB. But if the guy throws an INT (or 4) in a game, so what? The world isn't going to come to an end. I'd rather we get a little aggressive and make mistakes then just play not to lose and as vanilla as possible.

What was the game where everyone was complaining that we ran it outside on a 3rd and 1? I think it was Rev. that was saying with Tebow, it's a sure thing up the middle.