PDA

View Full Version : Denver can clinch playoffs next week

Vine
12-19-2011, 07:11 AM
It has been said that Denver can win the AFC West with a victory in week 17 at home against KC, regardless of what happens next week.

However, if Denver beats Buffalo next week, they can clinch the AFC West if Oakland loses at Kansas City!

55CrushEm
12-19-2011, 07:15 AM
It's too bad the order of our last 2 games isn't reversed......if we played KC this week, and beat them.....we could rest our starters vs. Buffalo in the final week.

As it is.....we still have to try to beat Buffalo....IN CASE we lost to KC.....and still hope for some help.

GreatBronco16
12-19-2011, 07:16 AM
It has been said that Denver can win the AFC West with a victory in week 17 at home against KC, regardless of what happens next week.

However, if Denver beats Buffalo next week, they can clinch the AFC West if Oakland loses at Kansas City!

Nice. However, I would prefer if they win out. KC might be tuff if they play the inspired ball like they did against the Pack.

Kid A
12-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Would we have tiebreakers against SD if we beat Buffalo but lose to KC? Could leave us both at 9-7, and 3-3 in the division.

55CrushEm
12-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Would we have tiebreakers against SD if we beat Buffalo but lose to KC? Could leave us both at 9-7, and 3-3 in the division.

Yes....according to Yahoo generator. OP is right. If we beat Buffalo this week, and Oakland loses (again) @ Kansas City.....then we win the division.

I hope this happens.....I'd like to see us rest our players, at least part of the game vs. KC, as long as it's a meaningless game.....health is more important, especially since we won't have a bye.

long beach bronco
12-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Exactly, I wan't to win this game on Saturday at Buffalo and will be rooting for KC. I would love to go in to that final game with our division wrapped up.

55CrushEm
12-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Exactly, I wan't to win this game on Saturday at Buffalo and will be rooting for KC. I would love to go in to that final game with our division wrapped up.

Yup. Not that I want to lose to KC in front of the home crowd.....but rest for our dinged up players would be nice.....I can put pride aside for a meaningless regular season game...

Let KC win their "superbowl"....if it means getting our guys healthier.

Steve Prefontaine
12-19-2011, 07:41 AM
We get to root for Orton and Tebow on Sunday.

Finally, the Bronco fans are united!

MacGruder
12-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Spekaing of which.. is Kyle Orton the anti-christ?

He puts the Broncos in a hole with his 4-1 start and then goes to a another team to come back and try to keep them out of the playoffs..

And since he just needs to play in a couple games his terrible durability isn't an issue.. he's cherry picking..

And he also is playing with balls on another team for once.. something he never did when he was simply trying to protect his stating job.

Rabb
12-19-2011, 07:54 AM

He puts the Broncos in a hole with his 4-1 start and then goes to a another team to come back and try to keep them out of the playoffs..

And since he just needs to play in a couple games his terrible durability isn't an issue.. he's cherry picking..

And he also is playing with balls on another team for once.. something he never did when he was simply trying to protect his stating job.

actually Orton did yesterday what he was so enamored for here, drove them between the 20's, putting up nice stats and never really doing much else

sorry, but KC's D won that game for them, although I do love that he will continue to start for them based on the same crap that kept him starting here

55CrushEm
12-19-2011, 08:00 AM
And I think the only way for San Diego to win the division....if for them to win out AND Denver to lose out AND Oakland to lose out.

San Diego is hanging by a thread.

TheChamp24
12-19-2011, 08:08 AM
So, I was looking, and I think the Broncos actually have a decent shot at the #3 playoff seed, although it would require a bit of luck.
Texans could very well lose to Indy and the Titans to fall to 10-6. We win out, and go 10-6, we're the #3 seed and looking at a rematch between either the Bengals, Jets, Titans, Raiders.

55CrushEm
12-19-2011, 08:11 AM
So, I was looking, and I think the Broncos actually have a decent shot at the #3 playoff seed, although it would require a bit of luck.
Texans could very well lose to Indy and the Titans to fall to 10-6. We win out, and go 10-6, we're the #3 seed and looking at a rematch between either the Bengals, Jets, Titans, Raiders.

Yeah, you're right.....we win out and Houston loses out....we get the 3 seed.

I just don't see Houston losing to both Indy and Tennessee......

SpringStein
12-19-2011, 08:17 AM

Make that Saturday. ;)

Spider
12-19-2011, 08:18 AM

:spit: ok that was good

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 08:32 AM

1-4

OrangeSe7en
12-19-2011, 11:23 AM

Yeah, I can see Orton getting up for the game against us in a way that he didn't do while he was here. And then people will try to play it off like some mistake was made but we all know he stunk when he was here. It's more like, "you got traded because you played like garbage and this is on you, Kyle".

OrangeSe7en
12-19-2011, 11:25 AM
And I think the only way for San Diego to win the division....if for them to win out AND Denver to lose out AND Oakland to lose out.

San Diego is hanging by a thread.

What about making it as a wild card?

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 11:26 AM
What about making it as a wild card?

I don't believe they can because Cincy and Jets hold tie breakers over them.

eddie mac
12-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm surprised there weren't any strange betting patterns discovered after that result yesterday because Aaron Rodgers played like a **** and so did the majority of his receivers. I'd have the NFL double checking their big bank accounts right about now.

OrangeSe7en
12-19-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't believe they can because Cincy and Jets hold tie breakers over them.

But what if they both lose out (looking it up)?

OK, yeah, if SD wins out, they end up at 9-7. If the Jets and Bengals lose out, they end up at 8-8.

Cincy: Arizona, Baltimore
NYJ: NYGiants, @Miami

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah I guess, they'd be 9-7 and the other two would be 8-8. I guess yes it is possible however they need four teams for lose out.

OrangeSe7en
12-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah I guess, they'd be 9-7 and the other two would be 8-8. I guess yes it is possible however they need four teams for lose out.

Yeah, but none of them can be considered "easy" games. I agree that it's unlikely theyll go 0-4 combined. That NYG-NYJ game is going to be a bloodbath this weekend. They're both in the same situation.

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Yeah, but none of them can be considered "easy" games. I agree that it's unlikely theyll go 0-4 combined. That NYG-NYJ game is going to be a bloodbath this weekend. They're both in the same situation.

Actually just saw that Titans are ahead of them too so they must hold a tie breaker. So they need five teams to go 0-2 the last two weeks.

OrangeSe7en
12-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Actually just saw that Titans are ahead of them too so they must hold a tie breaker. So they need five teams to go 0-2 the last two weeks.

But Tennessee wouldnt need to lose out. Tennessee is only in the discussion with San Diego (assuming SD wins out) if Tennessee also wins out. Tennessee has to play Houston still.

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 11:51 AM
But Tennessee wouldnt need to lose out. Tennessee is only in the discussion with San Diego (assuming SD wins out) if Tennessee also wins out. Tennessee has to play Houston still.

Yeah, I was only going through possibilities for San Diego to make the playoffs.

On a side note, **** was it awesome to see how much it will take for Rivers to make the post season. I hate him more than the Chiefs/Raiders combined.

BroncoBen
12-19-2011, 11:54 AM

I am hoping the Broncos win both games.. next Saturday at the Bills then at home against the Chiefs. Hosting a wildcard game with some momentum, yes it would be nice to rest some starters like McGahee and Dawkins if the Broncos can, but building up some speed would be good going in.

OrangeSe7en
12-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I am hoping the Broncos win both games.. next Saturday at the Bills then at home against the Chiefs. Hosting a wildcard game with some momentum, yes it would be nice to rest some starters like McGahee and Dawkins if the Broncos can, but building up some speed would be good going in.

I watched the post game interview with Tebow yesterday. He spoke with a sense of resolve to not let the same thing happen again and a commitment to have extreme focus this week. He also talked like the team as a whole felt this way.

It seems like it was only a few years ago that we lost to Buffalo late in the season. I think that was a home game when Cutler was still here. This is a chance to exorcise the recent past. But at this point, I don't even care about style points.

OrangeSe7en
12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
BTW, I just looked it up. Buffalo scored 17 pts in the last 6 minutes against Miami.

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 12:31 PM
BTW, I just looked it up. Buffalo scored 17 pts in the last 6 minutes against Miami.

So when the game was out of reach? The Bills have blown actual Buffaloes since week 5

OrangeSe7en
12-19-2011, 12:35 PM
So when the game was out of reach? The Bills have blown actual Buffaloes since week 5

Miami went up 30-13 at 5:41. So, probably at 5:41.

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Miami went up 30-13 at 5:41. So, probably at 5:41.

Yeah, I for one welcome the No Skills Bills.

maher_tyler
12-19-2011, 12:50 PM
If we can't win both these last 2 games we don't deserve the playoffs, simple as that!

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 12:54 PM
If we can't win both these last 2 games we don't deserve the playoffs, simple as that!

*Unless we clinch next week and play Quinn and Co. against the Chefs in Week 17.

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 12:55 PM
*Unless we clinch next week and play Quinn and Co. against the Chefs in Week 17.

And even that isn't a guaranteed loss :thumbsup:

Crushaholic
12-19-2011, 01:23 PM

I HOPE we don't treat the Chiefs game like a preseason game. They can't be pissing off the home fans. EFX just got them back on their side...Ha!

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 01:28 PM
I HOPE we don't treat the Chiefs game like a preseason game. They can't be pissing off the home fans. EFX just got them back on their side...Ha!

True, that being said any real fans know that we can't afford to lose any of our banged up starters for the playoffs. Willis, Von, Doom, Clady, Dawkins, etc could all use an extra week rest.

Vine
12-19-2011, 02:45 PM
If the Broncos clinch next week (and Houston wins, so there would be no chance of catching them for the #3 seed), it will be VERY interesting to see what kind of approach Denver would take in the last game.

I fully expect Willis McGahee to take a week off, because he seems to need the rest more than anyone else. I also would think that most of the starters might play only about a half. Finally, I find extremely ironic (and unbelievable) that Brady Quinn could finally get some playing time, in a role that we couldn't possibly have imagined 9 weeks ago.

PaintballCLE
12-19-2011, 07:59 PM
If we win this week, and the giants beat NYJ...... arent we at least guaranteed a wild card?

Also as far as SD, they lose tie breakers on most teams, but if several teams are tied at 9-7, they actually win it because head to head is ruled out then.......... at least thats what i ehard today

BroncoFox
12-19-2011, 08:16 PM
If the Broncos clinch next week (and Houston wins, so there would be no chance of catching them for the #3 seed), it will be VERY interesting to see what kind of approach Denver would take in the last game.

I fully expect Willis McGahee to take a week off, because he seems to need the rest more than anyone else. I also would think that most of the starters might play only about a half. Finally, I find extremely ironic (and unbelievable) that Brady Quinn could finally get some playing time, in a role that we couldn't possibly have imagined 9 weeks ago.

I don't know about that honestly. Champ was pretty fired up after the loss. He said the team is in no way ready for the playoffs the way they are playing right now, and they have to fix a lot of things in two weeks. From that alone, I don't think they are going to take it easy one week. I think they go all out to get as good as possible in the quickest amount of time. Because even a one win playoff run would be huge for the team.

ICON
12-19-2011, 08:22 PM
If we win this week, and the giants beat NYJ...... arent we at least guaranteed a wild card?

Also as far as SD, they lose tie breakers on most teams, but if several teams are tied at 9-7, they actually win it because head to head is ruled out then.......... at least thats what i ehard today

Yes ..Wow go NYG that looks right nice find.

TheChamp24
12-19-2011, 08:29 PM

No, because Cincinnati could still go 10-6.
If we beat Buffalo, lose to KC
Oakland wins out
Then we would need Cincy to lose 1 game and the Jets to lose 1 game
If it ends up in a four way tie between us, the Jets, the Titans, and the Bengals, we win the tiebreaker.
Same rule would apply for the Chargers if they end up 9-7 with everybody else and we win the division, they'd be in.
The playoff seedings are exciting this year. So many possibilities.

ICON
12-19-2011, 08:51 PM
No, because Cincinnati could still go 10-6.
If we beat Buffalo, lose to KC
Oakland wins out
Then we would need Cincy to lose 1 game and the Jets to lose 1 game
If it ends up in a four way tie between us, the Jets, the Titans, and the Bengals, we win the tiebreaker.
Same rule would apply for the Chargers if they end up 9-7 with everybody else and we win the division, they'd be in.
The playoff seedings are exciting this year. So many possibilities.

Your right seedings are exciting this year. So many possibilities.

with a win at Buffalo coupled with an Oakland loss or tie at Kansas City on Saturday, which would clinch the AFC West title.

A Denver win combined with losses or ties by Tennessee (vs. Jac.), New York Jets (vs. NYG) and Cincinnati (vs. Ari.) would clinch at least a Wild Card berth for the Broncos.

Regardless of the Week 16 results, Denver can clinch a place in the postseason with a win in Week 17 at home against Kansas City.

55CrushEm
12-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Yes ..Wow go NYG that looks right nice find.

Wow....yes. Missed that one too.

So we clinch a wildcard this week, with a win over Buffalo and a NY Jets loss to the Giants.

We clinch the division this week with a win over Buffalo, and an Oakland loss to KC.

Edit: Sorry....should have read all first. Yes, a Jets AND Cincy loss, with the win would clinch the WC.

Old Dude
12-20-2011, 06:09 AM
I'm surprised there weren't any strange betting patterns discovered after that result yesterday because Aaron Rodgers played like a **** and so did the majority of his receivers. I'd have the NFL double checking their big bank accounts right about now.

Green Bay took a lot of damage along their offensive line, and Rodgers was under pressure all day. Best way to stop a high-powered passing game is still a big-time pass rush.

55CrushEm
12-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Green Bay took a lot of damage along their offensive line, and Rodgers was under pressure all day. Best way to stop a high-powered passing game is still a big-time pass rush.

All of a sudden Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Green Bay don't look so intimidating.

This sucks cause I absolutely do NOT want New England to win the Superbowl.

Every year....aside from wanting (of course) Denver to win it all.......my #2 wish is that New England DOESN'T.

TheChamp24
12-20-2011, 06:17 AM
All of a sudden Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Green Bay don't look so intimidating.

This sucks cause I absolutely do NOT want New England to win the Superbowl.

Every year....aside from wanting (of course) Denver to win it all.......my #2 wish is that New England DOESN'T.

I gotta admit, a New England vs Green Bay/New Orleans Super Bowl would be crazy fun to see the shootout.

Rohirrim
12-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Unspoken fear: That the Broncos will do another end of season collapse and fall out of the playoffs. I couldn't take another one of those. Especially if they choked and gave it to the Chiefs.

SureShot
12-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Unspoken fear: That the Broncos will do another end of season collapse and fall out of the playoffs. I couldn't take another one of those. Especially if they choked and gave it to the Chiefs.

That is why I am very leery of the Bills game. Its just seems too familiar.

eddie mac
12-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Just win out, simple as that.

maher_tyler
12-20-2011, 06:49 PM
That is why I am very leery of the Bills game. Its just seems too familiar.

As crappy as they have been...it's in Buffalo! We never seem to play well on the east coast. They better come to play or we could easily lose that game.

ol#7
12-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Revenge Tour part 2.

Both the teams that effectively ended our last two playoff bids to finish out the year. Finish with San Fran in the SB for the Trifecta.

Armchair Bronco
12-20-2011, 09:59 PM
I want Denver to win out, then face Pittsburgh @ home and win that game, too.

Pittsburgh is not a great team (notwithstanding their record). They are a beatable team. But I'd rather face them with the momentum of a 2-game winning streak than tie things up next week and give our starters a week off against KC.

We didn't need no stinking "rest game" in 1997!

ZONA
12-20-2011, 10:04 PM
I think this team learned a great lesson last game. Obviously you can't beat yourself or you will lose to anybody. But if they didn't just gift wrap 17 points to NE, they were playing with the big boys. In fact, our guys were working them pretty good until the meltdown.

I think we roll the next 2 games.

Armchair Bronco
12-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Yep, turnovers are almost impossible to predict. But if you do a post-game analysis, teams with 3 turnovers almost NEVER win. Simple as that.

We man-handled NE in the first quarter, then melted down in the 2nd quarter with turnovers and horrid clock management at the end of the half.

Ignore the turnovers, and we held our own in the 1st half. Unfortunately, we *can't* ignore the turnovers 'cause they happened.

KCStud
12-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Yup. Not that I want to lose to KC in front of the home crowd.....but rest for our dinged up players would be nice.....I can put pride aside for a meaningless regular season game...

Let KC win their "superbowl"....if it means getting our guys healthier.

I wouldn't recommend taking it easy before the playoffs. It hardly ever works for teams to do that while keeping momentum. It killed the Colts in the past and it hurt the Phillies in baseball this fall.

Broncos_OTM
12-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Go Broncos! Lose Raiders! I cant bring myself to say it...

Gort
12-22-2011, 07:36 AM
I want Denver to win out, then face Pittsburgh @ home and win that game, too.

Pittsburgh is not a great team (notwithstanding their record). They are a beatable team. But I'd rather face them with the momentum of a 2-game winning streak than tie things up next week and give our starters a week off against KC.

We didn't need no stinking "rest game" in 1997!

i think Baltimore is a better matchup. come playoff time, Worthlessburger may be healed up enough to be very dangerous.

McGahee would have something to prove against the Ravens.

HAT
12-22-2011, 07:50 AM
But if they didn't just gift wrap 17 points to NE,

They only gave up 13 off of turnovers.....And really only 6 of those were 'gift wrapped'. NE drove 40 yards for the TD after Tebow's fumble.

Drew A. Blank
12-22-2011, 10:39 AM

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Screen-shot-2011-10-27-at-5.01.24-AM.png

Discount double check...derp...