PDA

View Full Version : Anyone concerned about McGahee's health?

LetsGoBroncos
12-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Doesn't seem like he has been healthy since the Kansas City game. I'm very worried about him being able to play consistently for the rest of the year

Garcia Bronco
12-19-2011, 07:44 AM
He's old. This is why we need to draft a bruiser if there is one out there this April.

LetsGoBroncos
12-19-2011, 07:50 AM
He's old. This is why we need to draft a bruiser if there is one out there this April.

Right, I'm more talking about this season and getting into the playoffs. Agree on needing to draft someone

DrFate
12-19-2011, 07:58 AM
As much credit as he deserves for this season, either he's not healthy or he's out of gas. Either way, I don't think he can be counted on any more this season.

long beach bronco
12-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Jeremiah Johnson should get alot of carries, he's a diamond in the ruff, and we should use him.

Dedhed
12-19-2011, 08:05 AM
What's more concerning to me is that they keep grinding on a clearly unhealthy McGahee when Johnson looks to have extremely fresh legs and adds some speed to the offense.

We need McGahee, but at 75% healthy there are better options. Using those options would allow him to get healthy and help the team, imo.

Smiling Assassin27
12-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Sure would be nice to have Hillis back there about now.

vancejohnson82
12-19-2011, 08:07 AM

is this sarcastic?

TonyR
12-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Except for the fact that he can't stay healthy, either. But maybe you're kidding?

jhns
12-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Ive been concerned for a while now. Maybe they need to just sit him the last two weeks and use him in the playoffs. He hasn't been helping much while playing injured anyways. We will need him if we want to compete with playoff teams.

Dedhed
12-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Sure would be nice to have Hillis back there about now.lulz

Kaylore
12-19-2011, 08:14 AM
He's right at the age where RB's start to show wear and tear. We'll need to draft his replacement this offseason. Knowshon is pretty much done, so using a second or third round pick on a running back, while unpopular, would be good.

Shotgun Willie
12-19-2011, 08:18 AM
When was the last time we actually made it through a season without at least one starting running back missing half the season or more with injuries? Seems like every year we draft at least one and pick at least one up in FA and somehow have nothing but scraps left at the end of the year. Even when we pick up guys like Moreno who made it through college without any history of injuries. Is this some kind of TD Curse or something?

DrFate
12-19-2011, 08:19 AM
He's right at the age where RB's start to show wear and tear. We'll need to draft his replacement this offseason. Knowshon is pretty much done, so using a second or third round pick on a running back, while unpopular, would be good.

I'm not sure it would be unpopular. Props to McGahee for what he's done this year, but the guy is an older back with not much tread on the tires. Ball and Johnson are both UFA and neither one is going to be confused with Adrian Peterson anytime soon. If the future of Foxball is a run-heavy game and defense, that position must be upgraded. TBH, I was never a fan of the Shanahan, 'we'll find a guy in the parking lot after the game' approach to the running back position. You need talent at that position, just like anywhere else.

rmsanger
12-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Willis stubbs his vagina on every other play... comes in busts a 30 yarder and checks himself out. Sits out an entire half and comes back for a 6 yarder and sits the remainder of the game.

go_broncos
12-19-2011, 08:23 AM
We would have won the game if McGahee played the complete game.

jhns
12-19-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure it would be unpopular. Props to McGahee for what he's done this year, but the guy is an older back with not much tread on the tires. Ball and Johnson are both UFA and neither one is going to be confused with Adrian Peterson anytime soon. If the future of Foxball is a run-heavy game and defense, that position must be upgraded. TBH, I was never a fan of the Shanahan, 'we'll find a guy in the parking lot after the game' approach to the running back position. You need talent at that position, just like anywhere else.

Excellent post. Why would it be unpopular to fix a weak position? I would take a RB in the first if he is the BPA. This is a run first team with a weak RB position...

I didn't mind Shanahans way sometimes. There were multiple seasons where it worked great. I loved the Bell/Anderson combo. It did hurt the team some years though. The thing is, we don't have Shanahan, his line, or his assistants now.

razorwire77
12-19-2011, 09:16 AM
McGahee is a tough SOB, and he's shown a lot more than I thought he would, but as it was pointed out earlier he's at that RB age where the body starts to break down. I think he's going to be the perfect goaline/10-12 carry back for us for the next couple of years. The problem is the team is using him as the 20-30 carry guy. Drafting a RB and a CB have to be high priority in 2012's draft. And I don't mean tee hee 5th round project draft picks. Take a CB and a RB within the first 3 rounds.

TheChamp24
12-19-2011, 09:20 AM
What confuses me is Jeremiah Johnson breaks off a 30 yard run, and then is pretty much done for the rest of the game.

Tombstone RJ
12-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Jeremiah Johnson is another Oregon RB who ran out of the spread option in college. They really need to feed him the ball and get him on the same page with Tebow.

Also, I wouldn't mind if the Broncos just said fuggit and drafted another RB out of Oregon because for whatever reason the RBs coming out of Oregon are pretty darn and consistently good.

DBroncos4life
12-19-2011, 09:44 AM
We should have called Tatum Bell the second Moreno got hurt. Our back up RBs suck.

TheChamp24
12-19-2011, 09:47 AM
We should have called Tatum Bell the second Moreno got hurt. Our back up RBs suck.

I actually wouldn't say Ball/Johnson suck, its just they shouldn't be relied on for a whole game.

DBroncos4life
12-19-2011, 09:56 AM
I actually wouldn't say Ball/Johnson suck, its just they shouldn't be relied on for a whole game.

I'm not that impressed with them. I think we could do much better just looking at the people that are out there IMO.

BroncoBen
12-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Doesn't seem like he has been healthy since the Kansas City game. I'm very worried about him being able to play consistently for the rest of the year

Well McGahee is Denver's best running back and when he is out is shows. The wear and tear is starting to show on him now at the end of the season.

The Broncos need to sign a quality free-agent running back to complement him next season.
Matte Forte from the Bears, Peyton Hillis - Browns, Tashard Choice - Dallas.. to name a few will be free agents.

Save the draft picks for the defense.

SpringStein
12-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Another reason to cheer for the Broncos to beat the Bills and Chiefs to beat the Raiders this week. Then let McGahee have a week off before hosting the first playoff game.

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Another reason to cheer for the Broncos to beat the Bills and Chiefs to beat the Raiders this week. Then let McGahee have a week off before hosting the first playoff game.

Much needed, let's hope we can have a first quarter like we did this week and pull far enough AHEAD of the Bills (at this point in the season they can't come back like Brady) and give McGahee less second half reps. Both Ball and JJ37 showed they can get up positive yards. Not too mention, I heard Tebow can rush.

Dedhed
12-19-2011, 10:30 AM
McGahee shouldn't even suit up this week, imo.

canadianbroncosfan
12-19-2011, 10:33 AM

I agree however, McCoy doesn't seem to like the other options at RB as much. I reference JJ37 who has shown some brilliance at times (don't throw to him, he doesn't have hands) however has seen next to nothing as far as reps.

Pick Six
12-19-2011, 10:56 AM
When is Von Miller getting his cast off? He's just not the same guy, out there...

teknic
12-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Ive been concerned for a while now. Maybe they need to just sit him the last two weeks and use him in the playoffs. He hasn't been helping much while playing injured anyways. We will need him if we want to compete with playoff teams.

The games against the Bills and Chiefs might as well be playoff games. The Broncos aren't guaranteed a spot yet, so it would be crazy to sit a productive player at the most important point of the season.

TheChamp24
12-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Well McGahee is Denver's best running back and when he is out is shows. The wear and tear is starting to show on him now at the end of the season.

The Broncos need to sign a quality free-agent running back to complement him next season.
Matte Forte from the Bears, Peyton Hillis - Browns, Tashard Choice - Dallas.. to name a few will be free agents.

I'll argue that no RB is ever worth the money in the FA market.
I say spend the money to get a DB/LB and take a RB in round 2/3.

Shotgun Willie
12-19-2011, 10:59 AM
When is Von Miller getting his cast off? He's just not the same guy, out there...

He said last week that he'd probably need it through the post season even.

ColoradoDarin
12-19-2011, 11:38 AM

Didn't we have enough fumbles already?

Drew A. Blank
12-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Except for the fact that he can't stay healthy, either. But maybe you're kidding?

I suspect a multimillion $ contract is just the salve to soothe his wounds. That and who wants to be in Cleveland? Really?

teknic
12-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Matt Forte from the Bears, Peyton Hillis - Browns, Tashard Choice - Dallas.. to name a few will be free agents.

It will never happen, but I would love to see the Broncos get Forte in free agency! Not only is Forte a great rusher, he is great at receiving too. If you add a truly elite RB that is also a threat as a checkdown, this Broncos offense would be scary.

Garcia Bronco
12-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Right, I'm more talking about this season and getting into the playoffs. Agree on needing to draft someone

He's exactly what I would expect him to be given his age and injury history.

BroncoMan4ever
12-19-2011, 12:17 PM

yes, he could sit on the bench with a sore throat and then a hamstring injury all the while crying about his contract. exactly what this team needs.

maher_tyler
12-19-2011, 01:31 PM
What's more concerning to me is that they keep grinding on a clearly unhealthy McGahee when Johnson looks to have extremely fresh legs and adds some speed to the offense.

We need McGahee, but at 75% healthy there are better options. Using those options would allow him to get healthy and help the team, imo.

I'd rather they let him rest these last two games and have him ready for hopefully the playoffs.

jhns
12-19-2011, 01:37 PM
The games against the Bills and Chiefs might as well be playoff games. The Broncos aren't guaranteed a spot yet, so it would be crazy to sit a productive player at the most important point of the season.

While I somewhat agree, I would still sit him. He has not been consistent since getting injured the first time. He has been injured multiple times since. I would have him active and only play him if we really needed him. I doubt we even need him to beat the two weak teams left on the schedule. Even Moreno has no problem breaking off 100 yard games against the chiefs. Ball and Johnson should be ok.

sgbfan
12-19-2011, 02:14 PM
McGahee hasn't been healthy since high school. Not very many RB's can stay healthy, look at Forte, Peterson, Gore, McFadden. All have missed significant PT this year. This is why I don't want to draft a RB in round 1, or even round 2 for that matter. Also, Moreno isn't bad as a 3rd down back. Who cares at this point when he was drafted.

mkporter
12-19-2011, 02:41 PM
I'll argue that no RB is ever worth the money in the FA market.
I say spend the money to get a DB/LB and take a RB in round 2/3.

That's an interesting take given how well we've done with McGahee this year.

cutthemdown
12-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Mcgahee is old and we are lucky we got what we did out of him this yr. We need a better starting RB.

ICON
12-19-2011, 04:07 PM
I'd rather they let him rest these last two and have him ready for hopefully the playoffs.

I hope he can play in the next 2 games IMO its going to be that much harder to make the playoffs without him .

cabronco
12-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Isn't it a bad hamstring that he keeps on aggravating ?

Clinton Portis to the courtesy phone plz.. Heck if the pats brought CP in for a look and passed, he must be damaged goods. I think overall we made out on the Portis/Bailey trade. CP never really seemed like the same back as a Redskin. Ya we need to get a good rb in the draft, need at least one corner too imo, as Champ & Goodman are both 33.

Drew A. Blank
12-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Any RB would wear down with the work load we've put on McGahee this year. He's been a beast. We need solid depth at RB. Hell, a number 2 back could come in here and reasonably expect to tote the rock 15 times/game on a regular basis.

Shotgun Willie
12-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Any RB would wear down with the work load we've put on McGahee this year.

218 combined rushing and receiving touches this year. That doesn't even put him in the top 15 of running backs.

Boogerboots
12-20-2011, 08:01 AM
It will never happen, but I would love to see the Broncos get Forte in free agency! Not only is Forte a great rusher, he is great at receiving too. If you add a truly elite RB that is also a threat as a checkdown, this Broncos offense would be scary.

All I gotta day is... its Tikki time oh yeah!
Kidding. Let's not forget Marshawn Lynch. Gotta think that the upper crust ufas would jump at a shot to get their stats padded with the broncs.

CrucialMax
12-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Agreed, Ball and JJohnson should be able to carry the load for two weeks. Keep McGahee for that first playoff game! :strong:

Pony Boy
12-20-2011, 04:18 PM

Michael Bush is a bruiser and a free agent, he would be a perfect fit.

Hulamau
12-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Quality RBs ought to be lining up to come to Denver now!

teknic
12-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Yes please. I wanted Bush this off season until the Raiders tendered him.

Draft a speed back in the later rounds to pair with Bush and the Broncos would be in good shape for RBs.

Armchair Bronco
12-20-2011, 11:12 PM

This. We should make signing Bush one of our priorities. Well...Elway should!

Armchair Bronco
12-20-2011, 11:14 PM
I like McGahee as much as the next guy, but he's over 30...and for most backs, that's when health problems start happening. Willis is no different from any other 30-something back: he has a hard time staying healthy.

But don't blame him...blame mother nature.

LongDongJohnson
12-21-2011, 01:16 AM

He just turned 30 like 2 months ago. That isnt that old.

Nwp-Apap
12-21-2011, 03:13 AM

As far as RBs go, 30 is the tail end of most of their careers.

That being said, I agree with the previously noted statements on Jeremiah Johnson. He seemed to be playing well in his limited touches last sunday, but after the first quarter was hardly allowed on the field.

I feel like he is a little bit better than Ball, and is uncountably faster. But then again, maybe I'm projecting my hopes onto reality.

Either way, I'd like to see him get more touches this week, especially in an effort to rest McGahee.

cutthemdown
12-21-2011, 03:41 AM
McGahee not too old to be part of the attack, just too old to count on 100%, or past really next yr etc etc. We should look to add a young talented back with the hopes he becomes the starter. But we saw how that worked out with Moreno.

crowebomber
12-21-2011, 07:00 AM
You guys are crazy if you think McGahee isn't going to play against the team that drafted him and dumped him. He'll play and dominate the game for 200 yards.

teknic
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
You guys are crazy if you think McGahee isn't going to play against the team that drafted him and dumped him. He'll play and dominate the game for 200 yards.

This. Buffalo is in shambles on offense and defense.

For those saying McGahee has lost a step because of his age, look at his number of carries the past few years. He's had below average carries for a starter, so he should still have something in the tank. He's just banged up right now, so I hope he gets to 100% for the playoffs. That being said, I don't think the Broncos should consider resting him until we have our playoff spot wrapped up.

ZONA
12-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Jeremiah Johnson should get alot of carries, he's a diamond in the ruff, and we should use him.

DIDDO

cutthemdown
12-21-2011, 05:14 PM

Good point.

Garcia Bronco
12-21-2011, 05:17 PM

In running back years it is.

ScottXray
12-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Age is relative. He has had to sit out a couple of those years due to INJURY.

And even pro athletes hit a point where the injuries just start to be cumulative. He should probably be able to go a year or two more, but beyond 30 the body just doesn't heal as fast, and reinjuries become more severe with each occurrence.

I'mall for giving Ball and Johnson some carries to spell McGahee. We are going to need McGahee to both secure a playoff spot and to perform IN the playoffs.

So if we get this game in hand early I would continue to play McGahee sparingly, with heavy doses of Ball and Johnson so that he doesn't run himself into injury. We will also need him to beat the Chiefs , and if Houston loses this week that may be a chance to clinch the #3 seed. Not sure if it really means anything, unless the other 1st round home team loses to the number 6. But I know you don't want to BACK into the playoffs coming off a loss in week 17.