PDA

View Full Version : What are the playoff scenarios for Buffalo?

Armchair Bronco
12-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Is Buffalo toast? Is next weekend's game meaningful for them, or are they just spoilers at this point?

Amazing I'm asking this because they looked like a shoe-in a few weeks ago.

OBF1
12-18-2011, 05:05 PM
In the time it took you to post this, you could have found the answer by yourself.

theAPAOps5
12-18-2011, 05:06 PM
nfl.com

then click standings.

There not really that hard was it

Armchair Bronco
12-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Well, I'm asking if they've been mathematically eliminated. NFL.com doesn't show squat - they're more into annoying 30 second ads. And espn.go.com isn't showing teams that have been mathematically eliminated, either.

I looked in 2 places but couldn't find an answer.

theAPAOps5
12-18-2011, 05:08 PM
They are 5-9

They can't win their division and that is what it would take to get in because Wild Card is either going to be Baltimore or Pittsburgh for one and the others have too good a record.

They were eliminated last week or the week before.

Armchair Bronco
12-18-2011, 05:09 PM
OK, CBS has its act together. Buffalo is just a spoiler.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

theAPAOps5
12-18-2011, 05:10 PM
http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

MortonToMoses
12-18-2011, 05:12 PM
The important game is against the Chiefs. If we win that game, we're in regardless of what happens in Buffalo.

Armchair Bronco
12-18-2011, 05:13 PM
The important game is against the Chiefs. If we win that game, we're in regardless of what happens in Buffalo.

Yeah, I didn't realize that if we go 1-1 at the end but lose to the Chiefs, and Oakland wins out, then we lose the division.

theAPAOps5
12-18-2011, 05:13 PM

But wouldn't it be better to not have it in question? Take care of business on Christmas Eve and leave no room for questions.

go_broncos
12-18-2011, 05:16 PM

We need to win against Bills to have a chance in Wild card.

Kid A
12-18-2011, 05:16 PM
If we beat Buffalo and KC beats Oakland on Christmas weekend, the division is locked up heading into week 17.

MortonToMoses
12-18-2011, 05:19 PM
But wouldn't it be better to not have it in question? Take care of business on Christmas Eve and leave no room for questions.

The point is that we can't take care of things against Buffalo with a win if Oakland beats the Chiefs. At least for winning the divison. Obviously, it would help in the wild card scenario.

theAPAOps5
12-18-2011, 05:21 PM
If we beat Buffalo and KC beats Oakland on Christmas weekend, the division is locked up heading into week 17.

This

The Broncos can do their part and then if need be do it again a week later. Don't leave it to chance.

Bronco_Beerslug
12-18-2011, 05:21 PM
We need to win against Bills to have a chance in Wild card.
I don't think the odds of a "wildcard" coming out of our division is very good.

It looks like.....
If we beat Buffalo and lose to KC and the Raiders win both of their games, they go to the playoffs.

If we lose to Buffalo and beat KC and the Raiders win both of their games, we go based on common opponent records.

---------------------------------------------
TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION (http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures)

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

Ratboy
12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Win out and who gives a **** what everyone else does?

Armchair Bronco
12-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I wonder what the long-term weather forecast is...the shots from Buffalo today looked like slushy rain that really, really wanted to turn into slushy snow.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Snow Bowl next week.

EDIT: 30% chance of snow on Friday, 20% on Saturday, with a high of 36 degrees on Saturday. (Still no predictions for Sunday.)

ElwayMD
12-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Win out and who gives a **** what everyone else does?

I like this option better. It's something this franchise hasn't done in ages.

go_broncos
12-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Why are we forgetting SD?..They still have a chance..correct?

Armchair Bronco
12-18-2011, 05:29 PM

According to the CBS site, both SD and KC are mathematically alive and "in the run".

SonOfLe-loLang
12-18-2011, 05:29 PM

Yes, but i think if we just beat KC, thats it. Thats all we need.

Broncomutt
12-18-2011, 05:31 PM
So we clinch next week with a win and an Oakland loss? Sweet!

Kid A
12-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Yeah, but that chance involves us losing out, at which point I think KC or Oakland would also be moving in front of us. So I think all the listed scenarios remain the same.

razorwire77
12-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Win two games against two beatable teams and you finish a respectable 10-6 and win the west. Simple and much more preferable than any other back door scenario.

Mogulseeker
12-18-2011, 06:03 PM
http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

I mean, it's simple math. They have nine losses, their division leader has 11 wins.

16-11 = 5

5 < 9

Yes, they are mathematically eliminated.

theAPAOps5
12-18-2011, 06:07 PM
I mean, it's simple math. They have nine losses, their division leader has 11 wins.

16-11 = 5

5 < 9

Yes, they are mathematically eliminated.

Yeah I would think too. Last year Seahawks made it in as division winners because their whole division was horrid.