PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the NFL quarterbacks

Gutless Drunk
12-08-2011, 10:45 AM
1, Aaron Rodgers, Packers: The efficiency he's displaying is jaw-dropping. Rodgers is completing 70.6 percent of his passes, has thrown for multiple touchdowns in every game and can tie the league record for consecutive games with at least two scoring passes if he accomplishes the feat Sunday against Oakland.

Efficiency? He has thrown for 37 touchdowns while being picked off just five times. A perfect passer rating for a game is 158.3; Rodgers' mark is 125.3 for the season. No wonder Green Bay has scored TDs on an NFL-best 34.6 percent of its possessions and, at 12-0, is a legitimate threat to become just the second team to go undefeated en route to a Super Bowl win.

2, Drew Brees, Saints: Brees has thrown 11 touchdowns and only one pick over his last four games, marks that surpass every full-time QB during that time, save Rodgers. You know a QB is playing at an elite level when he's on pace to break Dan Marino's single-season mark for yards passing and also has games in which he throws more touchdowns (five) than incompletions (four), as Brees did against Indianapolis on Oct. 23. Still wondering why New Orleans trails only Green Bay in scoring?

3, Tom Brady, Patriots: He throws three touchdowns for every interception -- 30-10 overall -- and has posted a passer rating above 100 in all but three games. He is interception-free in his last five games and has New England tied with the Ravens, Steelers and Texans for the AFC's best record, at 9-3. More impressive: He has the Patriots 17 points from being undefeated despite playing with the league's last-ranked defense.,

4, Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: All Roethlisberger does is find ways to lead his team to victories. Pittsburgh has won seven of its last eight in part because its burly passer is playing with great discipline and coming up with key plays in pressure situations. His stats aren't overwhelming -- 19 TDs, 10 INTs -- but the Steelers would not be challenging for the AFC's top seed without him.

5, Tim Tebow, Broncos: He looked so completely lost as a passer after his first two starts this season, I put him 31st in my midseason rankings. But Tebow is a different QB today. He has flourished since the Broncos adjusted their offense to take advantage of his read-option skill set.

Overall, he is 6-1 as a starter, with 11 touchdowns (nine passing) and only two turnovers (one fumble, one INT). But his incredible rise up the rankings is due to him coming up biggest when games matter most: at the end. Review the Broncos' last six wins and you will see Tebow was an integral factor in the outcome, particularly down the stretch. Will it last? Who cares? The rankings are about today, not tomorrow.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jim_trotter/12/07/quarterback.ratings/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a1

TheReverend
12-08-2011, 10:47 AM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Epic.

Awesome.

Somuchwin.jpeg

jhns
12-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Tebow should be at least four spots higher. This guy is clearly a hater.

FISH
12-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Thats the "Week 13" rankings....not overall

as I read it anyway..

wait...no....thats that guys overall ranking isnt it?

wow

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Clearly, he reads the bible.

I have Timmy down near about #10 if we're purely talking about rating.

For all the glue the Tebowmaniacs are huffing, he's not any better than Alex Smith. Soak on that for a minute.

BroncoMan4ever
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
does anyone really think Brees likely breaking Marino's passing record is noteworthy?

i mean Marino set that record when the league hadn't bitched itself up to where the QB is untouchable, receivers got mugged, and passing the ball wasn't made so easy. if Marino could have had that passing season in today's NFL, that number would probably be over 6000 passing yards and no one would sniff that record.

honestly almost any record or season mark set before the last decade would more than likely be 20% higher had it been played in the current NFL.

Broncbow
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
4, Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers: All Roethlisberger does is find ways to lead his team to victories. Pittsburgh has won seven of its last eight in part because its burly passer is playing with great discipline and coming up with key plays in pressure situations. His stats aren't overwhelming -- 19 TDs, 10 INTs -- but the Steelers would not be challenging for the AFC's top seed without him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jim_trotter/12/07/quarterback.ratings/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a1

Last I checked they went 3-1 without him last season. Add to that he has a team that was in the Super Bowl last season. Great receiving corp, great defense, give me a break. I can't stand this overrated hack.

Broncos4tw
12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I just love that he is over Phillip Rivers. Bwaha! Ha!

BroncoMan4ever
12-08-2011, 11:29 AM
1, Aaron Rodgers, Packers: The efficiency he's displaying is jaw-dropping. Rodgers is completing 70.6 percent of his passes, has thrown for multiple touchdowns in every game and can tie the league record for consecutive games with at least two scoring passes if he accomplishes the feat Sunday against Oakland.

Efficiency? He has thrown for 37 touchdowns while being picked off just five times. A perfect passer rating for a game is 158.3; Rodgers' mark is 125.3 for the season. No wonder Green Bay has scored TDs on an NFL-best 34.6 percent of its possessions and, at 12-0, is a legitimate threat to become just the second team to go undefeated en route to a Super Bowl win.

2, Drew Brees, Saints: Brees has thrown 11 touchdowns and only one pick over his last four games, marks that surpass every full-time QB during that time, save Rodgers. You know a QB is playing at an elite level when he's on pace to break Dan Marino's single-season mark for yards passing and also has games in which he throws more touchdowns (five) than incompletions (four), as Brees did against Indianapolis on Oct. 23. Still wondering why New Orleans trails only Green Bay in scoring?

3, Tom Brady, Patriots: He throws three touchdowns for every interception -- 30-10 overall -- and has posted a passer rating above 100 in all but three games. He is interception-free in his last five games and has New England tied with the Ravens, Steelers and Texans for the AFC's best record, at 9-3. More impressive: He has the Patriots 17 points from being undefeated despite playing with the league's last-ranked defense.,

5, Tim Tebow, Broncos: He looked so completely lost as a passer after his first two starts this season, I put him 31st in my midseason rankings. But Tebow is a different QB today. He has flourished since the Broncos adjusted their offense to take advantage of his read-option skill set.

Overall, he is 6-1 as a starter, with 11 touchdowns (nine passing) and only two turnovers (one fumble, one INT). But his incredible rise up the rankings is due to him coming up biggest when games matter most: at the end. Review the Broncos' last six wins and you will see Tebow was an integral factor in the outcome, particularly down the stretch. Will it last? Who cares? The rankings are about today, not tomorrow.

if you look at this list in terms of a QB getting the job done regardless of stat line or passing ability, it could in a way make sense to put Tebow top 5. in the NFL a QBs job is to win games and he has done that. now if you are talking passing ability and stats, Tim isn't in the top half of the league...yet. although that TD-Turnover ration is amazing.

CEH
12-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Assume Brady or Big Ben makes the Super Bowl and bow out, who are the 3 QBs to represent the AFC in the Pro Bow. Tebow has to be right there for the 3rd spot. Flacco, Dalton or Tebow?

Garcia Bronco
12-08-2011, 11:43 AM
We didn't run a bunch of read option last week. In fact...it's getting less and less each week.

cmhargrove
12-08-2011, 11:45 AM
if you look at this list in terms of a QB getting the job done regardless of stat line or passing ability, it could in a way make sense to put Tebow top 5. in the NFL a QBs job is to win games and he has done that. now if you are talking passing ability and stats, Tim isn't in the top half of the league...yet. although that TD-Turnover ration is amazing.

If Tebow is top 5, he should call Drew Rosenpenis right now and start holding out for top 5 money...

TheReverend
12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Assume Brady or Big Ben makes the Super Bowl and bow out, who are the 3 QBs to represent the AFC in the Pro Bow. Tebow has to be right there for the 3rd spot. Flacco, Dalton or Tebow?

Tim will be the one bowing out ;)

MileHighMagic
12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
He actually has two fumbles.

CEH
12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Tim will be the one bowing out ;)

And Elway will still be non commital ;)

broncocalijohn
12-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Seems the SI guy has QBs as winners for the team and just not stats. As he mentions, Big Ben is on the list with not overwhelming stats but his intangible to win. Just like Tebow has and is ranked accordingly.

lolcopter
12-08-2011, 11:58 AM
He actually has two fumbles.

but only one of them was a turnover

TheReverend
12-08-2011, 11:59 AM

He learned that trait from seeing his teeth interact with his lips.

CEH
12-08-2011, 12:02 PM
He learned that trait from seeing his teeth interact with his lips.

Can't disagree with that. :strong:

Broncbow
12-08-2011, 12:05 PM

Tebow goes to the Pro Bowl, to show off his new Ring, While Elway is on the phone with Shahid in an attempt to convince him to trade up to the Colts position for Tebow. :clown:

bendog
12-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Elway hates him and doesn't know what a qb needs to be able to do.

edit: its a conspiracy against white christians.

BroncoBeavis
12-08-2011, 12:08 PM

The shine is going to be off the Dalton by the time he finishes up their backloaded-meatgrinder schedule.

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Clearly, he reads the bible.

I have Timmy down near about #10 if we're purely talking about rating.

For all the glue the Tebowmaniacs are huffing, he's not any better than Alex Smith. Soak on that for a minute.

The 49ers with Tebow would be undefeated right now. Get that **** out of here...

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 04:22 PM
The 49ers with Tebow would be undefeated right now. Get that **** out of here...

I used to make unhinged irrational posts like you.

But then I took an arrow in the knee.

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Tebow is 6-1 with a team that was in shambles when he took over. On the 49ers he's easily the difference in their two close losses. The only irrational thing I see here is you acting like Alex Smith is equal to Tebow in any way.

rbackfactory80
12-08-2011, 04:35 PM
QB=leader
Tebow=Great Leader
Conclusion
Tebow=Great Quaterback

Great QB's are defined by how they handle the big moments. Nobody handles the pressure like Tim. That alone makes him a top 5 QB!

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Tebow is 6-1 with a team that was in shambles when he took over. On the 49ers he's easily the difference in their two close losses. The only irrational thing I see here is you acting like Alex Smith is equal to Tebow in any way.

Yeah, I'm sure all SF needs is a QB who can't throw and ALL TEH PROBLEMZ DEY R SOLVED.

Tebow has an 87 rating. Not bad. Only issue is he throws less than 14 passes per game - the NFL doesn't even consider his rating statistically valid. BUT HE WINZ! Yep, he sure has won. All by himselfs. He has gone 5-1 against Miami, Oakland, KC, Minnesota...and a couple good teams. Hey, there was another Denver QB who started out 6-0 a couple years ago. What happened to him?

Alex Smith has a 95 rating. Just, ya know - can't argue with a higher rating and the fact that he actually throws AND winz. And they beat the one team that both Alex and Tebow both faced (Detroit).

So, no. Tebow is basically doing what Miami tried to do for awhile which is basically have a RB at the QB position and have him occasionally throw. Very exciting stuff. And NFL defenses will catch on quick and then Tebow will just be Ronnie Brown.

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I'm sure all SF needs is a QB who can't throw and ALL TEH PROBLEMZ DEY R SOLVED.

Tebow has an 87 rating. Not bad. Only issue is he throws less than 14 passes per game - the NFL doesn't even consider his rating statistically valid. BUT HE WINZ! Yep, he sure has won. All by himselfs. He has gone 5-1 against Miami, Oakland, KC, Minnesota...and a couple good teams. Hey, there was another Denver QB who started out 6-0 a couple years ago. What happened to him?

Alex Smith has a 95 rating. Just, ya know - can't argue with a higher rating and the fact that he actually throws AND winz. And they beat the one team that both Alex and Tebow both faced (Detroit).

So, no.

Wow, you're comparing Tebow's stats to Alex Smith's on two completely different teams, and you think that means something? You think Tebow can be measured by stats? Seriously dude you are a moron. The "QB who can't throw" comment leaves no doubt of that. Seriously all I can do is look on in awe at your idiocy. It's truly impressive.

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 04:57 PM
And NFL defenses will catch on quick and then Tebow will just be Ronnie Brown.

:spit: Hilarious!

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Wow, you're comparing Tebow's stats to Alex Smith's on two completely different teams, and you think that means something? You think Tebow can be measured by stats? Seriously dude you are a moron. The "QB who can't throw" comment leaves no doubt of that. Seriously all I can do is look on in awe at your idiocy. It's truly impressive.

Wait, are you telling me Tebow and Alex Smith ARE ON TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAMS?!

Sh*t. I need to adjust my calculations. I may have carried the decimal and forgot to round up.

Also, this is priceless: "You think Tebow can be measured by stats?"

That is soo good. I am going to use that sometime. It will be very useful. For eg.:

COP: Sir, you were going 55mph over the speed limit
ME: YOU THINK MY SPEED CAN BE MEASURED BY STATS?!

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Wait, are you telling me Tebow and Alex Smith ARE ON TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TEAMS?!

Sh*t. I need to adjust my calculations. I may have carried the decimal and forgot to round up.

Also, this is priceless: "You think Tebow can be measured by stats?"

That is soo good. I am going to use that sometime. It will be very useful. For eg.:

COP: Sir, you were going 55mph over the speed limit
ME: YOU THINK MY SPEED CAN BE MEASURED BY STATS?!

Keep digging that stupid hole. This is getting amusing...

myMind
12-08-2011, 05:02 PM
he's not any better than Alex Smith. Soak on that for a minute.

Wait, what? Numbers never lie or something?

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 05:04 PM

Just have to quote this again. So ridiculous... Hilarious!

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Keep digging that stupid hole. This is getting amusing...

I'm glad we're both amused! Often times these Tebow debates end with emotion and vitriol and someone feeling hurt because they were made fun of for making silly statements like YOU THINK TEBOW CAN BE MEASURED IN STATS?

I would SO love for this statement to turn into a meme BTW.

I heard Tebow bench-presses 650 lbs. YOU THINK TEBOW CAN BE MEASURED IN STATS?!

I heard Tim Tebow is 5-1 as a starter. YOU THINK TEBOW CAN BE MEASURED IN STATS?!

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Just have to quote this again. So ridiculous... Hilarious!

Yes, because NFL defenses will not ultimately catch on to a gimmick offense. Nope. Never happened.

Say, what ever happened to the single-wing formation?

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm glad we're both amused! Often times these Tebow debates end with emotion and vitriol and someone feeling hurt because they were made fun of for making silly statements like YOU THINK TEBOW CAN BE MEASURED IN STATS?

I would SO love for this statement to turn into a meme BTW.

I heard Tebow bench-presses 650 lbs. YOU THINK TEBOW CAN BE MEASURED IN STATS?!

I heard Tim Tebow is 5-1 as a starter. YOU THINK TEBOW CAN BE MEASURED IN STATS?!

LOL

So special. Keep it up. This is getting good...

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Yes, because NFL defenses will not ultimately catch on to a gimmick offense. Nope. Never happened.

Merril Hoge? Is that you?

Jay3
12-08-2011, 05:14 PM
does anyone really think Brees likely breaking Marino's passing record is noteworthy?

i mean Marino set that record when the league hadn't b****ed itself up to where the QB is untouchable, receivers got mugged, and passing the ball wasn't made so easy. if Marino could have had that passing season in today's NFL, that number would probably be over 6000 passing yards and no one would sniff that record.

honestly almost any record or season mark set before the last decade would more than likely be 20% higher had it been played in the current NFL.

That record is in jeopardy more every year.

We had to listen last year about Orton's precious yardage total as he chased the record for a solid 5 games.

That was when I was most down about the losing culture that was settling in.

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 05:16 PM

If you think that's where the flaw in your statement is you truly are beyond hope. "Tebow will just be Ronnie Brown." Classic. :rofl:

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 05:23 PM
LOL

So special. Keep it up. This is getting good...

yawwwwn

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 05:24 PM
If you think that's where the flaw in your statement is you truly are beyond hope. "Tebow will just be Ronnie Brown." Classic. :rofl:

You have enlightened me with your wisdom. I have seen the light now. Tebow is an amazing QB who just WINZ WINZ WINZ! HE CAN NOT BE MEASURED BY STATS!

Garcia Bronco
12-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Last I checked they went 3-1 without him last season. Add to that he has a team that was in the Super Bowl last season. Great receiving corp, great defense, give me a break. I can't stand this overrated hack.

Ben Extends plays for gains and is tough to bring down. He's successful. Just like Tebow.

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 05:47 PM
You have enlightened me with your wisdom. I have seen the light now. Tebow is an amazing QB who just WINZ WINZ WINZ! HE CAN NOT BE MEASURED BY STATS!

"Tebow will just be Ronnie Brown." Ha!

HooptyHoops
12-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Ben Extends plays for gains and is tough to bring down. He's successful. Just like Tebow.

True, I don't like him, but this is fact these days.

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 05:54 PM
"Tebow will just be Ronnie Brown." Ha!

I guess you're right. That's offensive to Ronnie Brown.

Rohirrim
12-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Used to be, you post anything on the Mane from SI and everybody laughs. They must have hired better writers. ;D

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 05:57 PM
I guess you're right. That's offensive to Ronnie Brown.

Stubborn and stupid I see. A winning combination...

lolcopter
12-08-2011, 05:59 PM

so you didn't watch the minnesota game then

Broncbow
12-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Hey Pirate,

The reason you really can't go by stats, is because it has to do with the scheme Tebow is forced to execute. Come on Pirate even you can admit that Smith was all washed up until a real coach came along. The difference is that Tebow is actually carrying his loser coach who had a 1-4 team, and took both and turned them into winners.

Comparing Tebows stats to Smith is like trying to compare Smiths results last season compared to this season, same team/different team.

10-2 this season and only one win last season?

2011 15/5 TD/INT
2010 14/10 TD/INT

2010 95 attempts when ahead 202 passing attempts when behind
2011 146 attempts when ahead 121 passing attempts when behind

Tebow only has 10 passes while team is ahead. 129 passing attempts when behind, which is more passes than Smith has had to throw while the team was behind.

Tebows 6.3% TD percentage is much better than Smiths 4.7%

Smith has 16 Td's in 12 games
Tebow has 13 TD's in 7.5 games

Smith has 5 times the Int's despite a much better passing scheme.

3 int's in each of the three gaes out of the last 4? Really? Is this a sign of decline considering he has had only 5 ints this season??

Smith is going to fold like a deck of cards once crunch time of the play-offs come along. 4 TD's and 4 ints against the 4 winning teams Smith faced this season speaks volumes as to just how far he is over his head in the playoffs.

He may have split those games, as far as wins goes, great thing to be a carried game manager, if only Tebow had that luxury.

For the record Tebow is averaging over 21 passes a game.
Tebow also has a better winning percentage than smith this season.

Armchair Bronco
12-08-2011, 06:20 PM

You numbskulls have been saying this since after the Miami game. So, when is this going to happen? Next week? Next month? Next year?

Because so far, none of our opponents have been able to "catch on".

SureShot
12-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Wow Les Shapiro posts here.

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Stubborn and stupid I see. A winning combination...

What did you learn on the OM today Pontius?

Well, Professor Agamembrane taught us that 1) you can't compare Tebow to another QB on a different team and 2) you can't measure Tebow with stats and if you do these two things then your argument = invalid

Br0nc0Buster
12-08-2011, 07:52 PM

lol what does this mean?

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 07:57 PM
What did you learn on the OM today Pontius?

Well, Professor Agamembrane taught us that 1) you can't compare Tebow to another QB on a different team and 2) you can't measure Tebow with stats and if you do these two things then your argument = invalid

And today the Professor learned that some students simply can't be taught, and need to go back to the special ed class...

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 08:01 PM
You numbskulls have been saying this since after the Miami game. So, when is this going to happen? Next week? Next month? Next year?

Because so far, none of our opponents have been able to "catch on".

Like all good fans they are sitting at home with their fingers crossed waiting for their team to lose. Didn't you know?

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 08:43 PM
lol what does this mean?

It's a skyrim meme. Its a pretty good meme but it pales in comparison to Tim TEBOW BECAUSE TEBOW CAN NOT BE MEASURED BY STATS

BOW YOUR HEADS!

Agamemnon
12-08-2011, 08:56 PM
It's a skyrim meme. Its a pretty good meme but it pales in comparison to Tim TEBOW BECAUSE TEBOW CAN NOT BE MEASURED BY STATS

BOW YOUR HEADS!

You really have no clue how stupid you make yourself look by acting like Tebow's stats tell the whole story do you? It's kind of sad...

Pontius Pirate
12-08-2011, 09:02 PM
You really have no clue how stupid you make yourself look by acting like Tebow's stats tell the whole story do you? It's kind of sad...

You and Trent Dilfer both agree with the above statement.

But then again, I shouldn't bring up another QB to compare Tebow to because they are on totally different teams and such an argument totally falls apart because, I mean, well, they're on different teams for pete's sake! Totally different circumstances!

HighCountryBronco
12-08-2011, 09:17 PM

i mean Marino set that record when the league hadn't b****ed itself up to where the QB is untouchable, receivers got mugged, and passing the ball wasn't made so easy. if Marino could have had that passing season in today's NFL, that number would probably be over 6000 passing yards and no one would sniff that record.

100% correct.