PDA

View Full Version : OT: USMC posters

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 01:50 PM
First of all: TEBOW.

Secondly, for those of you from the USMC (Dukes, mr007, etc):

So recently I got a contract offer for my book on USMC boot camp so that's swell. More importantly and involving you... If you want to be in print, you can write and send me a funny/memorable story from your own boot camp experience and/or a paragraph on the USMC in general and if it's good I'll try to tack it on in a separate section on the end.

I know it doesn't apply to many but there's more than a handful of guys who post that it does along with who knows how many lurkers so wanted to throw that option out there.

Thanks and sorry for posting this under "General"

SureShot
12-06-2011, 01:56 PM
If Tebow was a Marine who would he be?

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 01:58 PM
If Tebow was a Marine who would he be?

Do you have to ask?

Chesty Puller

SureShot
12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Do you have to ask?

Chesty Puller

http://www.oocities.org/eaglezfan.geo/chesty2.jpg

Dukes
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
I'll contribute Rev. Don't know if it will be any good but you never know.

Boobs McGee
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
What's the name of your upcoming book? Congrats by the way!

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
I'll contribute Rev. Don't know if it will be any good but you never know.

Thanks, bud. Take your time. Nothing formal, think of it as bull****ting around with bootcamp stories. Just write one down instead of saying it out loud

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
What's the name of your upcoming book? Congrats by the way!

Thanks, but not looking for any personal attention right now. Just wanted to share an opportunity to be in print with some guys that deserve it if they want to take the time to do that.

kamakazi_kal
12-06-2011, 02:42 PM
he'd be in the army cmon.....

RECON!!!!

SleepingTiger
12-06-2011, 02:51 PM
i got some airforce boot camp stories... lol

bronco militia
12-06-2011, 02:54 PM
yep, I've only got Chair Force stories....

vonqkilla
12-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Sgt Maj told me he had a blank as a di in nam era, 1st day on parade deck, has a di pose as recruit in formation, he bolts from formation like going ua, di loads blank, fires, poser recruit running drops on parade deck.

Di ” anyone else?”

I got a books worth too.

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Sgt Maj told me he had a blank as a di in nam era, 1st day on parade deck, has a di pose as recruit in formation, he bolts from formation like going ua, di loads blank, fires, poser recruit running drops on parade deck.

Di ” anyone else?”

I got a books worth too.

Good for you.

vonqkilla
12-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Good for you.

Thanks, were you a hat?

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks, were you a hat?

No

Cleo McDowell
12-06-2011, 04:09 PM
what about Mighty Smurf's tales of "i almost got laid"

McDman
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM

So recently I got a contract offer for my book on USMC boot camp so that's swell. More importantly and involving you... If you want to be in print, you can write and send me a funny/memorable story from your own boot camp experience and/or a paragraph on the USMC in general and if it's good I'll try to tack it on in a separate section on the end.

I know it doesn't apply to many but there's more than a handful of guys who post that it does along with who knows how many lurkers so wanted to throw that option out there.

What books have you written? What will be the title of this one?

ghwk
12-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I have my fathers story of having narrowly missed getting hit in his Sherman tank by a German 88 shell. His friends in the tank ahead of him weren't so lucky. Wrong war and not boot camp but the story has wlways stayed with me.

cutthemdown
12-06-2011, 06:17 PM

I don't mind at all, but I always laugh when people do something at the same time they apologize for it. I mean how sorry can you really be. In fact, your personality, you have probably never been sorry before. More likely you think you are awesome and never do anything wrong.

Mogulseeker
12-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Navy stories.... not the same

broncocalijohn
12-06-2011, 06:24 PM
what about Mighty Smurf's tales of "i almost got laid"

He was already 0 for 17 by the time boot camp came around for him. It was old news by then. He can, though, tell you about the first time he almost got laid after square dancing for PE in Junior High.

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't mind at all, but I always laugh when people do something at the same time they apologize for it. I mean how sorry can you really be. In fact, your personality, you have probably never been sorry before. More likely you think you are awesome and never do anything wrong.

For my own curiosity:

Do you think that opening this very specifically labeled thread, isolating that sentence and then taking the time to post this says more about me or you...?

SureShot
12-06-2011, 06:35 PM
There better be a chapter on Sgt Slaughter.

oubronco
12-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Good for you Rev

That One Guy
12-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I once got stuck on a ****ty Marine base in Iraq so we ate a bunch of their snacks and drank all their Gatorade.

That's at least one time Marines have been good for something. Probably the only time.

cutthemdown
12-06-2011, 06:41 PM
For my own curiosity:

Do you think that opening this very specifically labeled thread, isolating that sentence and then taking the time to post this says more about me or you...?

Things I do always say more about me then they would anyone else. What it says about me is I find little things people reveal about themselves interesting. I could have said sorry for being an ass, then wrote what I did, but i wasn't sorry. If I was sorry for something before I did it I would not do it.

That One Guy
12-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Things I do always say more about me then they would anyone else. What it says about me is I find little things people reveal about themselves interesting. I could have said sorry for being an ass, then wrote what I did, but i wasn't sorry. If I was sorry for something before I did it I would not do it.

The rest of his line was probably something like "sorry for posting this under general [but if I put it elsewhere, it probably wouldn't get seen so I figured it wouldn't hurt to be on the main board for a few minutes so all interested parties could participate]"

You took your stand against the mighty Rev. Now smile for the camera and move off stage.

cutthemdown
12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
The rest of his line was probably something like "sorry for posting this under general [but if I put it elsewhere, it probably wouldn't get seen so I figured it wouldn't hurt to be on the main board for a few minutes so all interested parties could participate]"

You took your stand against the mighty Rev. Now smile for the camera and move off stage.

I totally get it. But what if every member of the board decided he had something important enough to put on the main board, because he wanted it to get attention. Besides I could see Rev doing the same thing to say, GAFFNEY if he posted his book news on the main page.

It's great, I am happy for him, but if he can break the rules and post to the main board, I can make fun of him saying sorry at the same time he does it.

That One Guy
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
I totally get it. But what if every member of the board decided he had something important enough to put on the main board, because he wanted it to get attention. Besides I could see Rev doing the same thing to say, GAFFNEY if he posted his book news on the main page.

It's great, I am happy for him, but if he can break the rules and post to the main board, I can make fun of him saying sorry at the same time he does it.

Yeah, Rev and Gaffney are the exact same. Come on, man.

If Rev did it every day or even if SOMEONE did it everyday, that'd be one thing. He doesn't, they don't, and the Mane moves on. Heck, people having kids gets stickied. Are you leading this revolution into their threads too?

cutthemdown
12-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah, Rev and Gaffney are the exact same. Come on, man.

If Rev did it every day or even if SOMEONE did it everyday, that'd be one thing. He doesn't, they don't, and the Mane moves on. Heck, people having kids gets stickied. Are you leading this revolution into their threads too?

Nope. I didn't even say much about it being on the main board. I pointed out that I find it amusing when someone apologizes for something at the same time they do it.

cutthemdown
12-06-2011, 07:08 PM
I didn't realize Rev's wife was on the board to defend him.

That One Guy
12-06-2011, 07:14 PM
I didn't realize Rev's wife was on the board to defend him.

I actually catch myself telling people they're jackasses all the time around here. With honest sincerity, I don't know why I bother. It's just in my nature.

Archer81
12-06-2011, 07:18 PM
My brother busted his ankle showing Toby Maguire how to dive into a foxhole when he was in boot at Pendleton. Raining like crazy, guys are running up and down this ridiculous hill. Maguire says he can't see what they are doing, my brother is then asked to run this hill again, slips on a rock, ****s up his ankle.

So now my brother holds a grudge against spiderman.

:Broncos:

Tim
12-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Bootcamp was uneventful for me, but the stories I have from going on float, jacksonville's 18 and up 'shacks' and combat tours are the ones that make me laugh everytime I think about them. Good luck on the book

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 07:29 PM

I'm sorry... did you not get or just decide to completely ignore that this thread is about giving an opportunity to OTHER people. I'm going to be in print again regardless. I've also avoided several opportunities for self-congratulation or promotion by ignoring posts pertaining.

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Bootcamp was uneventful for me, but the stories I have from going on float, jacksonville's 18 and up 'shacks' and combat tours are the ones that make me laugh everytime I think about them. Good luck on the book

No worries. If it's something you want, feel free to write it down. It certainly doesn't have to be formal or even well structured. Think of it as BSing with buddies but written instead of spoken.

cutthemdown
12-06-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm sorry... did you not get or just decide to completely ignore that this thread is about giving an opportunity to OTHER people. I'm going to be in print again regardless. I've also avoided several opportunities for self-congratulation or promotion by ignoring posts pertaining.

Don't try and change the subject. All I did was say it's funny when people apologize at the same time they do something. I have no problem with your book, congratulations.

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Don't try and change the subject. All I did was say it's funny when people apologize at the same time they do something. I have no problem with your book, congratulations.

I'm pretty sure the subject is that you're being a major douche bag and that you're the only one missing it, but good on you. :thumbs:

cutthemdown
12-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm pretty sure the subject is that you're being a major douche bag and that you're the only one missing it, but good on you. :thumbs:

I can live with that, as long as you can admit you are a narcissist.

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I can live with that, as long as you can admit you are a narcissist.

...and the world is round? No ****, Sherlock. Just not being one in this thread.

TailgateNut
12-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I once got stuck on a ****ty Marine base in Iraq so we ate a bunch of their snacks and drank all their Gatorade.

That's at least one time Marines have been good for something. Probably the only time.

This^

I used to drop them off in no-mans-land to pound ground.:~ohyah!:

Marines=Military mule. :giggle:
Army Aviation-Above the rest.:yayaya:

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 08:02 PM
This^

I used to drop them off in no-mans-land to pound ground.:~ohyah!:

Marines=Military mule. :giggle:
Army Aviation-Above the rest.:yayaya:

::)

TailgateNut
12-06-2011, 08:18 PM
::)

What-evah my butt.

Ground-pounders do have a place in the scheme of things, just like a mule has value. One is just easier to train.:~ohyah!:

Hamrob
12-06-2011, 09:15 PM
I've got lots of them. Let's see, I was stationed in Okanawa at Camp Hanoko up north. Life on the rock in general pretty much sucks, but there's nothing to do up north. So, you end up hanging out at the e-club getting to know your fellow Marines and drinking a lot of cold ones.

At the time, there were quite of few young guys who escaped the streets via enlistment. Two such kids, used to like to spar a little. They couldn't stand each other. One was a blood and the other a crypt. Both were o.k. guys when you separated them, but togehter they used go to blows. Each of them weighed about a buck-60, so they weren't hurting anyone. I never gave them much time, although we hung out in similiar circles.

When my time was up on the Rock, I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, in CA. A few months later the kid or was the Crypt showed up at base, we used to call him LA. He was a pretty good Basketball player, even dunked on me one (as much as I hate to admit that). I've always been pretty atheletic. Anyway, LA started to hang out with us, my friends and I. We would go to TJ or the clubs in Riverside or LA and cause trouble.

I remember one time, my best friend and I took LA to his mom's house in Long Beach, two white guys driving a Honda Prelude dropping off a black dude in the hood. My freind and I are sitting in the car, waiting for LA to come out of his Mom's house, and a group of guys in shower caps with their pants hanging down start crossing the street coming towards us. Guys had dreads, tanks tops etc. We were starting to get a little nervous, when LA came out and greeted the guys. He introduced us to these gentlemen and said that they were pretty darn good Bball players and that one day we would need to come play ball with them. One guy was really tall and lanky, looked kind of funny. We left Long Beach and head back to Pendleton.

About a year or so later, most of us shipped out to Desert Shield. LA remained behind until the second wave of folks were set to ship out. When the second wave got over to Saudi Arabia, LA was nowhere to be found. Evidently, he had gotten into a fist fight with the first sargent on the parade deck right before they loaded the buses to ship out. We later found out, that they had stuck LA in the brig and issued him a big chicken dinner right out of the Corp. That was the last I heard of LA.

He was one interesting dude. He could hoop it up, that was for sure...but the ladies really liked him as well, because LA could sing like a bird. He used to sing Luther Vandrose and Teddy Pendegrass and darned if he was extremely talented.

We came back from Desert Storm, exited the Corp and went about our lives. Then one day, I'm listening to the radio, and I hear this song....that started off, "Regulators...mount up..."

I had to pull my car over. I just knew I had heard that voice somewhere. Long story short, the voice on that song (singing voice) was LA (Nathan Hale)...A.K.A (Nate Dogg). The guys we met in Long Beach were Snoop Dogg and a bunch of other soon to be famous rap stars.

Last year, Nate Dogg past away. We didn't always get along...but, we certainly had some good times together as Marines and I'll always remember him.

For me, the people I met while in the Corps and the life lessons I learned during that time will always be special to me.

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 09:17 PM
^ Sorry bud I think you should re-read the OP... this doesn't apply

Hamrob
12-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Shucks...

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Shucks...

If you have some good boot specific stories, PM me.

McDman
12-06-2011, 09:33 PM
I've got lots of them. Let's see, I was stationed in Okanawa at Camp Hanoko up north. Life on the rock in general pretty much sucks, but there's nothing to do up north. So, you end up hanging out at the e-club getting to know your fellow Marines and drinking a lot of cold ones.

At the time, there were quite of few young guys who escaped the streets via enlistment. Two such kids, used to like to spar a little. They couldn't stand each other. One was a blood and the other a crypt. Both were o.k. guys when you separated them, but togehter they used go to blows. Each of them weighed about a buck-60, so they weren't hurting anyone. I never gave them much time, although we hung out in similiar circles.

When my time was up on the Rock, I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, in CA. A few months later the kid or was the Crypt showed up at base, we used to call him LA. He was a pretty good Basketball player, even dunked on me one (as much as I hate to admit that). I've always been pretty atheletic. Anyway, LA started to hang out with us, my friends and I. We would go to TJ or the clubs in Riverside or LA and cause trouble.

I remember one time, my best friend and I took LA to his mom's house in Long Beach, two white guys driving a Honda Prelude dropping off a black dude in the hood. My freind and I are sitting in the car, waiting for LA to come out of his Mom's house, and a group of guys in shower caps with their pants hanging down start crossing the street coming towards us. Guys had dreads, tanks tops etc. We were starting to get a little nervous, when LA came out and greeted the guys. He introduced us to these gentlemen and said that they were pretty darn good Bball players and that one day we would need to come play ball with them. One guy was really tall and lanky, looked kind of funny. We left Long Beach and head back to Pendleton.

About a year or so later, most of us shipped out to Desert Shield. LA remained behind until the second wave of folks were set to ship out. When the second wave got over to Saudi Arabia, LA was nowhere to be found. Evidently, he had gotten into a fist fight with the first sargent on the parade deck right before they loaded the buses to ship out. We later found out, that they had stuck LA in the brig and issued him a big chicken dinner right out of the Corp. That was the last I heard of LA.

He was one interesting dude. He could hoop it up, that was for sure...but the ladies really liked him as well, because LA could sing like a bird. He used to sing Luther Vandrose and Teddy Pendegrass and darned if he was extremely talented.

We came back from Desert Storm, exited the Corp and went about our lives. Then one day, I'm listening to the radio, and I hear this song....that started off, "Regulators...mount up..."

I had to pull my car over. I just knew I had heard that voice somewhere. Long story short, the voice on that song (singing voice) was LA (Nathan Hale)...A.K.A (Nate Dogg). The guys we met in Long Beach were Snoop Dogg and a bunch of other soon to be famous rap stars.

Last year, Nate Dogg past away. We didn't always get along...but, we certainly had some good times together as Marines and I'll always remember him.

For me, the people I met while in the Corps and the life lessons I learned during that time will always be special to me.

That's amazing. Nate Dogg was awesome.

strafen
12-06-2011, 09:37 PM
If you have some good boot specific stories, PM me.

PM?
Why?
I enjoy reading them.
I think it's quite interesting to hear people's experiences.
I'm cool with that... :thumbsup:

vonqkilla
12-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Cool story

SureShot
12-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Definitely cool story bro. Nate Dogged a marine.

Dutch
12-06-2011, 10:17 PM
I've got a couple that are pretty funny, but also pretty long. I'll PM you. If you get a laugh and think they are worth tossing up here, I'll let you decide. I'll get them to you in the AM. Working tonight.

vonqkilla
12-06-2011, 10:52 PM
My rackmate was such a clown, he filled out his photo order form, jose cuervo 6969 liquor virginia.

Dis use process if elimination to figure out who it is.

They had him in front of a mirror for hours repeating ”I am a waste of 18 of parenting”

Donk
12-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Why do Marines drink beer so fast?
You only have four seconds after pulling the pin before the grenade explodes.

cutthemdown
12-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Funny because Nate Dogg is from my hometown. Around yr 2000 I was at a friends house a city over in Lakewood CA and we noticed smoke rising from about 3 blocks away. Turned out some enraged boyfriend set his girls car on fire. Guess who? Yep Nate Dogg. Not sure how he stayed out of jail on that one but i remember him getting popped for it.

TheReverend
12-07-2011, 07:48 AM
My rackmate was such a clown, he filled out his photo order form, jose cuervo 6969 liquor virginia.

Dis use process if elimination to figure out who it is.

They had him in front of a mirror for hours repeating ”I am a waste of 18 of parenting”

Is this story any better in English...?

mr007
12-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I can definitely dig up some good stories. This just made me think of what a great influence the Marine Corps was in my life - most of my really good friends were from my USMC days.

Nice to hear you're getting something published Rev, congrats!

TheReverend
12-07-2011, 09:35 AM
I can definitely dig up some good stories. This just made me think of what a great influence the Marine Corps was in my life - most of my really good friends were from my USMC days.

Nice to hear you're getting something published Rev, congrats!

Thanks and really looking forward to it.

I think this will make for a cool supplementary section after the book is "done".

Bronx33
12-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Let me know when it comes out rev i am an avid reader of military books.

Archer81
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Let me know when it comes out rev i am an avid reader of military books.

x2.

:Broncos:

TheReverend
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I promise I'll be plenty loud enough so that EVERYONE here will know when it comes out.

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Update: the stories provided from Dutch and Dukes were so damn good they lead off the bonus section over IRL friends of mine (including my best friend) and everyone else's submissions.

Amazing work guys. Hope this section makes it!

EmpireOrange
01-27-2012, 02:43 PM
No thanks they are my stories, why would I want them in some idiot teboner's book so he can make money off of it? Jarhead teboner, hmpf...must be a Clinton Marine.

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
No thanks they are my stories, why would I want them in some idiot teboner's book so he can make money off of it? Jarhead teboner, hmpf...must be a Clinton Marine.

Ok

Dutch
01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Update: the stories provided from Dutch and Dukes were so damn good they lead off the bonus section over IRL friends of mine (including my best friend) and everyone else's submissions.

Amazing work guys. Hope this section makes it!

Looking forward to picking up a copy, Rev and thanks for the nice words. I want to read Dukes'. Shoot 'em to my Email, if you don't mind.

Semper Gumby, Bro'
(Always Flexible)
Dutch

bowtown
01-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Rev pretending he has IRL friends again I see.

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Looking forward to picking up a copy, Rev and thanks for the nice words. I want to read Dukes'. Shoot 'em to my Email, if you don't mind.

Semper Gumby, Bro'
(Always Flexible)
Dutch

Actually if you want I should have the entire "bonus section" finished up next week (still cleaning some things up... even yours :P ). When I do that I'll just email you the whole thing so you can check some variety and see how superior your work is haha.

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Rev pretending he has IRL friends again I see.

If only :(

Dukes
01-27-2012, 03:32 PM

Semper Gumby, Bro'
(Always Flexible)
Dutch

Same here Rev.

Dukes
01-27-2012, 03:37 PM
How's the title coming? Decide on one yet?

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
How's the title coming? Decide on one yet?

Haha funny you should ask. This was a several month, three-way BATTLE between myself, my agent and the publisher.

End result: "From Pain to Pride"

I don't love it but it was my favorite "compromise" option.

Dukes
01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
I like it

Dutch
01-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Haha funny you should ask. This was a several month, three-way BATTLE between myself, my agent and the publisher.

End result: "From Pain to Pride"

I don't love it but it was my favorite "compromise" option.

I like it as well. What did you want it to be? (If you don't mind my asking.)

And yeah, I'd love to catch the whole "Bonus Section". That would be cool.

Cito Pelon
01-27-2012, 07:51 PM
I've got a couple that are pretty funny, but also pretty long. I'll PM you. If you get a laugh and think they are worth tossing up here, I'll let you decide. I'll get them to you in the AM. Working tonight.

Go ahead and post 'em here. I like to hear stories from boot camp.

Dutch
01-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Go ahead and post 'em here. I like to hear stories from boot camp.

I'll toss one of them out as I used Email to get it directly to Rev. The other one Rev will have to post up as it was a PM and I can't figure out how to get back and see what I sent. Keep in mind I was replying to an E-mail and am not posting the first portion of it as it isn't needed:

A little background: I went to Boot Camp in San Diego, CA. Yep, I'm a Hollywood Marine. A quick over-view of the surroundings is in order here for those who have not attended MCRD, San Diego. On the backside of our Barracks there was a "Practice Grinder" (parade deck) where we conducted close order drill everyday. On the other side of that Grinder was a row of WWII era Quonset Huts used for Recruit Training (hereafter refered to as "ovens", because by noon, that is what they were). These were running out longways like fingers from the practice deck. On the far end of the ovens was a road that we used to run on for PT that ran all the way down the row of ovens. On the other side of the road ran a five foot deep ditch with a twelve foot fence on the other side topped by Concertina wire. Most important to the story though, is the runway for San Diego International Airport on the other side of said fence. All day, every five to ten minutes of every day, Freedom Birds leaving SDIA.

The Platoon was at the end of our final week of the "First Phase" of training, about week five. We would be departing for Camp Pendleton for our two weeks of rifle range training and then two weeks of field training in a couple of days. Things were beginning to settle into a rhythm. One of the patterns that emerged was the regular assignment of myself and my fellow squad leader, recruit Helmich, to rifle guard duty during classroom time. These classes were held in the "Ovens". Leave it to the Corps to try and hold classes right next to a runway! There wasn't enough room in the "Ovens" for all of the recruits to take their M-16A2s in with them, so platoons would "stack arms" outside in a column. Rifle guards were then posted at each end of the column, facing each other, and were supposed to guard the weapons with their faces stuck in their Marine Corps Knowledge (the recruit Bible of all things Marine Corps). Helmich and I each had a couple of years of college and were among the older members of our platoon, so I guess they figured we could read and catch up. As luck would have it, I had my back to the runway that afternoon. Helmich wasn't so lucky. About fifteen minutes into a one hour class, I glanced up to see Helmich....watching airplanes taxi and take off......and over his shoulder, just coming into view at full quickstep...A Hat. "Hat"s are what Drill Instructors are called by the Marines of MCRD that are not DIs. The Hat refers to the distinctive "Smokey the Bear" campaign covers worn by DIs and shooting coaches in the Corps. This was no coach, and he was sporting Gunnery Sgt stripes as well. Not good. Have you ever tried to yell with nothing but your eyes? I did. I tried. Not a chance in hell that Helmich would have heard me over the 747 he was fondly watching take off. Not a chance in hell I was going down with him either. The last thing I saw was Helmich, eyes right, watching that big old bird banking left...with a pair of elbows sticking out from right behind him as the Hat had assumed the classic hands on hips, chin out, light up recruit stance. A quick couple of notes to assist the visual here. Recruit Helmich: 6'7" and skinny as a bean pole. Series Chief Drill Instructor, Gunnery Sgt Hernandes: 5'6" and built like a member of the Mexican Mafia with a voice that sounded exactly like Cheech Marin.

"Sooooooooooo, you like those there Freedom Birds do you Recruit?" Bellowed Gunny. I swear I saw Helmichs feet jump a full foot in the air. "Sir, No Sir!" yelped Helmich. "Oh, so now I am a liar...eh, Recruit?" Dead man. Helmich is a dead man...and he knew it too. Gunny was smiling. "Sir, No Sir" Helmich yelled out over another jet taking off. "I tell you what I'm going to do for you, Recruit. I like you," (bad, bad, bad sign) "in fact I like you so much, I'm going to help you out." smiled Gunny. "I'm going to let you chase those Freedom Birds, and if you can catch one...I'll let you leave and I won't tell no-one!" Gunny roared above another jet preparing to take off. "Sir?" a puzzled Helmich replied."GO! RUN! GO! GO!" Gunny ordered (grinning from ear to ear the whole time). Off Helmich flew. Across the parade deck, past the Ovens, and down the road. The plane roared down the runway and was airborn. "Too slow, too slow, get back, get back, get back!" Gunny called to Helmich. So back to us Helmich ran. "Oh, look. Here comes another one!" laughed Gunny, and off Helmich went again....and again....and again. All told recruit Helmich chased five Jumbo Jets that afternoon, and didn't catch a one. After returning from the fifth one, Gunny looks up at Helmich...who is standing at attention, soaked in sweat, and trying not gasp for air and says "Damned recruit, I thought you had it in you to catch you a Freedom Bird. Too bad, but hey...I got an idea. We're headed up to Camp Pendleton next week. I'll come and find you and we'll see how you do with Helicopters! They aren't as fast as them damned Freedom Birds, but they are sneaky bastards. They'll jump right straight up in the air on you! But I like you Recruit, and I think you just might have it in you to catch one of them! Now get your face in your Knowledge where it belongs!". "Sir, Yes Sir" barked out Helmich and Gunny Hernandes left us trying not to laugh out loud.

Later that night as we were getting ready for lights out, Helmich was laughing so hard he had tears coming out of his eyes, "Two months ago I was a Junior with a 3.5 GPA in Electrical Engineering at Purdue, today I am a Marine recruit chasing airplanes!". We cracked up about it for the next couple of weeks and forgot all about it. Gunny did not. On the morning we were to Hump (force march) 20 miles to Mount Mother****er, as we were gearing up to get online....came a voice."Where is my Mother****ing Freedom Bird Recruit?!" Helmich's face went white, then he stood up, grabbed his gear, asked me to keep an eye on his squad while he was "playing games with Gunny", grinned and called out, "Sir, here Sir!" and he was gone. We could hear Gunny laughing and talking to everyone about how they were going to hunt Helicopters. About three quarters of the way to Mount MoFo, at our bivouac area for chow and training we heard the unmistakable sound of a UH1 Huey helicopter coming in and it landed in a field a quarter of a mile from us...who gets out of it? None other than recruit Helmich, grinning ear to ear. Helmich would later tell us that Gunny drove him quite a ways in a HMMV explaining to him how you catch a Helicopter the whole time. As they rounded a corner, there they sat....a whole row of them....and one of them was starting up! Helmich looked at Gunny, who grinned back, told him "Be careful, remember they are sneaky Bastards!" and sent him off to catch the one spinning up the rotors. When he got there, the crew strapped him in and took off!

As Helmich made his way from the LZ to our Platoon, Gunny Hernandes joined us from out of nowhere. "GODDAMNED Recruit, You got no luck whatsoever!" Gunny roared, "I get you on a perfectly good Helicopter, I don't tell no one you are gone, and the Goddamned thing brings you right back to your ****in' platoon!" "Ain't that about the worst luck you ever heard of, Platoon?" "Sir, yes Sir" we all barked, trying not to laugh. "I think God is trying to tell you something, recruit. I think God wants you right here with your Brothers, so they can take care of your sorry ass.....because your Karma stinks, Recruit!" He laughed."Sir, yes Sir" croaked Helmich with a grin......and with that, Gunny was gone.

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 09:13 PM
^ Loved that one. Cleaned it up here and there... example: changed all your extended ellipses and two spaces instead of one after periods :)

Dutch
01-27-2012, 09:23 PM
^ Loved that one. Cleaned it up here and there... example: changed all your extended ellipses and two spaces instead of one after periods :)

Heh heh, yeah.....It makes me laugh everytime I think of it. Do me a favor and toss that other one out here if you would, I'd like to have that one saved some where as well, or you could E-mail it to me if you'd rather. Forgive my formatting sins as it was done conversationally and typed as quickly as poss with 4 fingers and two thumbs!:yayaya:

Dukes
01-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Nice Dutch.

Feel free to post mine if you'd like Rev.

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Heh heh, yeah.....It makes me laugh everytime I think of it. Do me a favor and toss that other one out here if you would, I'd like to have that one saved some where as well, or you could E-mail it to me if you'd rather. Forgive my formatting sins as it was done conversationally and typed as quickly as poss with 4 fingers and two thumbs!:yayaya:

No problem!

Boot Camp was honestly three of the funniest months of my life. The creativity the DI's showed in messing with people was hilarious… as long as you weren't the target of that creativity.
The end of the first week with our permanent Drill Instructor Team, on our first Friday night, fire-watch for 0400 was assigned to two little guys from Portland, OR. I can't remember their names as the DI's just called them "Frick and Frack". They looked like they were twelve. These two had signed up on the "Buddy Program" and both needed height wavers to get in. Five foot even, the both of them. The 0400 watch had the dubious responsibility of waking the DI on duty at 0430 so he in turn can have the platoon up at 0500.
It didn't happen.
"Frick" went to the Duty hut hatch and barely knocked on the wall and squeaked, "The time on deck is 0430, Sir".
He did it again at 0445… and again 0500.
At 0510 the Duty hut door exploded open, and Sgt Hartman (our DI… in PT shorts) proceeded to explode himself as he informed us, in no uncertain terms that it was time to "GET THE **** UP!!!!!" then vanishes into the Duty hut and re-appears in about 5 min fully dressed and looking like he'd just been standing inspection (how DID they do that?). He calls for the offending Frick (who is by now shaking like a leaf and looking even younger than a twelve year old). Sgt Hartman snatches the fire-watch's cheap Timex from Frick and barks, "Can you not ****ing tell time?"
"Sir, yes Sir" came the reply.
"Well not loudly enough! Get in that ****-can! NOW!"
Well, Frick wasted no time hopping into the trashcan. Sgt Hartman gives him the upside down lid and proclaimed that he is now a "****-bird Coo Coo Clock".
He bellowed "Recruit, I want you down in that can with that lid over you like you got a spring hooked to your ass… NOW!"
BANG! Down goes Frick. Then Hartman booms, "Anytime I hit this can, you will explode up and they better hear the time on deck at the main gate! You will then get your bird ass back down in that can like you still have that ****ing spring on your ass!" He then hauls off and kicks the **** out of the can. Frick explodes into view and informs the world that it is now 0535 at a much more enthused volume and, WHAM, he's back in the can. Sgt Hartman kicks the ****-bird Coo Coo clock at least 4 times in the next 5 min, chuckling to himself every time he does so. At 0550 Sgt Hartman bellows, "Get on the road for chow" and whoosh, out the hatch we fly and form up in platoon formation for head count. The end result? One missing and you guessed it... Frick.
Just as Hartman is sending Frack to "collect the Coo Coo of our ****-bird clock" there comes a sound from the squadbay. Clang! "SIR THE TIME ON DECK IS 0600, SIR!" It turns out that the Series Chief DI was wandering through to start inspecting the squad bays and bumped the can. Time froze for a heartbeat. Frick then comes flying out and gets online red faced as a beet. Hartman didn't hesitate, gave us a right face, and we stepped off for the Chow hall and never looked back to see Gunny come out of the squadbay white as a ghost! We all heard Hartman telling the story to the rest of the DI team that night in the Duty Hut and they were laughing their asses off!

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Nice Dutch.

Feel free to post mine if you'd like Rev.

Say if you want me to? Otherwise I'm just assuming for you and making extra work for myself lol

Dukes
01-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Say if you want me to? Otherwise I'm just assuming for you and making extra work for myself lol

Ha, figured your edited version would be easier to read than my jibberish

Dukes
01-27-2012, 09:46 PM
No problem!

So much win

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Ha, figured your edited version would be easier to read than my jibberish

Wasn't much to adjust for yours that I remember. Here:

There are so many boot camp memories it's difficult to concentrate on just a few.

I spent my time at MCRD San Diego during the summer of 2002, which was right around the time Austin Powers was at its peak. We had a big guy in my platoon, probably 6'3" 260 lbs. He wasn't fat though, just a home grown farm kid. In another platoon in my company there was a guy who was maybe 5' tall with boot on and 110lbs soaking wet. The drill instructors made the big recruit chase the smaller recruit around just like Fat Bastard was trying to eat Mini Me in the movie yelling, "Get in my Belly" and Mini Me squealing "eee, eee". The entire platoon got a kick out of it, but the DI's always get the last laugh.

Our first week up north (Camp Pendleton) where our DI's would say, "You're mine up north bitches," one recruits parents thought it would be a wonderful idea to send the platoon seventy-seven candy bars in the mail. The Senior DI passed out the candy bars while we were all on line. They gave us fifteen seconds to get as much of the candy bar in our mouths as fast as we could. What he didn't say was that after the fifteen seconds we had to spit every drop of that candy bar out. I doubt a handful of recruits even got to swallow anything at all.

Ahh sleep… that one thing that you never got. I was so tired one day after having fire-watch the previous night I feel asleep marching on the parade deck. I know that will be hard for many people to believe, but it happened.

Desperate times call for desperate measures right? Well what do you do when you’re at boot-camp, bored with no alcohol? You get drunk off of Listerine, duh. That's what four recruits in my platoon did. Yes, they were rolled back the following day (Author note: Guess we lucked out)

"Let my **** not get done bitches. Let my **** not get done," were the famous words of Sgt. Gomez every night right before taps was played. His list of chores for us overnight makes me laugh at my wife’s honey-do list.

Who puts their wallet in their pants pocket during final drill, seriously?

The last week of boot-camp the entire company went to a San Diego Padres game. Each recruit was able to take out $40 to use at the concession stands. This was no accident. For two plus hours every recruit in the company ate everything they could. Krispy Kreme's, pizza, hot dogs, nachos... etc. Before we even left the stadium guys were throwing up from gorging themselves. Once we returned back to base where do you think the first place the DI's took us?
The chow hall.
Every recruit got a plate, and of course it had to be full. Nobody got up until their plate was empty. I can't remember anyone not throwing up.

Honestly when I was going through it today I was going to ask you if you'd mind expanding on the:

"Who puts their wallet in their pants pocket during final drill, seriously?"

part. Sounds like the makings of a great story.

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 09:47 PM
So much win

Did you know Dutch is older than Moses?

Dutch when you were boot, I was 4 years old :)

Dukes
01-27-2012, 09:50 PM

I don't remember any WWII style Quanset huts at MCRD San Diego..... ;D

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't remember any WWII style Quanset huts at MCRD San Diego..... ;D

They were still there actually. His barracks sounds EXACTLY like where mine was, actually. I reference that and explain that "Mount Mother****er" is the older term for the Crucible era "Reaper".

Cito Pelon
01-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Did Hernandes perchance call his recruits his "Juevos"? Sounds a lot like an Army drill sergeant I ran into.

Dukes
01-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Wasn't much to adjust for yours that I remember. Here:

Honestly when I was going through it today I was going to ask you if you'd mind expanding on the:

"Who puts their wallet in their pants pocket during final drill, seriously?"

part. Sounds like the makings of a great story.

Well honestly there's not a whole lot that I can remember to enhance the story but i'll do my best.

I don't ever remember walking around with my wallet in my pocket, and I'm pretty sure they were to be in our footlocker pretty much 24/7 (for my platoon anyway). So 11-12 weeks of bootcamp of nobody having their wallets on them, and what day does some douchebag decide to put his wallet in his blouse pocket where it's easiest to see? Final drill. We are all standing in formation, stiff as boards, waiting to be inspected. The DI walks up to this guy and immediately see's his wallet. The DI is completely flabbergasted that this recruit has his wallet in his pocket during final drill. The entire platoon knew we were royally *****ed as far as winning final drill (which was the ONLY competition we even had a mild shot at winning) The look on our bulldogs face when the inspector found it was priceless. We failed final drill because of that one **** up. Even after all these years I just cannot come up with a reason why he thought he should have his wallet in his pocket that day.

Dukes
01-27-2012, 09:59 PM
They were still there actually. His barracks sounds EXACTLY like where mine was, actually. I reference that and explain that "Mount Mother****er" is the older term for the Crucible era "Reaper".

I either can't remember those huts or they took them out right before I got there. Mount Mother****er is more appropriate for that climb.

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 10:14 PM
I either can't remember those huts or they took them out right before I got there. Mount Mother****er is more appropriate for that climb.

Hmmm... let me see if I can use my own description of where that barracks is.

"To the left of our new barracks were a row of three pull up bars, and a tall rope. Past that was a shallow area of grass, surrounded by a tall barbed-wire fence, and just beyond that fence, the San Diego airport, tauntingly close with constant airborne reminders of freedom."

Hmmmmm that doesn't help lol. Way down at the Parade Deck's end of the base, but all the way close to the airport runway. The huts were towards the backside and not towards the Chow Hall side.

Dukes
01-27-2012, 10:22 PM
I think of these kind of huts that are now permanent barracks

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/nvrsumr/MCRD1960.jpg

Dukes
01-27-2012, 10:22 PM
That was 1960.......Ha!

Dukes
01-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Actually.... damnit those aren't barracks. It's all grass where those huts are now. But you get the point. I think.

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Actually.... damnit those aren't barracks. It's all grass where those huts are now. But you get the point. I think.

Bottom right corner only a LITTLEEEEEEEEE more offscreen!

Dutch
01-27-2012, 10:26 PM

Moses? Moses........hrmph, at least you didn't say Methuselah. Yeah, Old Corps, New Corps.....same old Suck. Glad to hear they finally did away with the old ovens. The combination of heat, noise, and constant smell of jet fumes made for a unique learning experience.

Cito Pelon
01-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Did you USMC guys have "retraining" compounds in boot camp? In Army bootcamp they wouldn't discharge the hopeless fools, they'd put them into these compounds where they'd harness them to sleds full of sand and make them haul them around all day. They had logs with handles on them that they'd make them carry around all day as a team. Or try to make them do that.

Dutch
01-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Bottom right corner only a LITTLEEEEEEEEE more offscreen!

Yeppers........Is that the Chowhall about an inch and a half up from the bottom right corner?

Dukes
01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Did you USMC guys have "retraining" compounds in boot camp? In Army bootcamp they wouldn't discharge the hopeless fools, they'd put them into these compounds where they'd harness them to sleds full of sand and make them haul them around all day. They had logs with handles on them that they'd make them carry around all day as a team. Or try to make them do that.

The only "retraining" we had was the Physical Condition Platoon or PCP aka Pork Chop Platoon.

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeppers........Is that the Chowhall about an inch and a half up from the bottom right corner?

Yup I think so

Dukes
01-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Got me feeling all nostalgic now.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/nvrsumr/19292644.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/nvrsumr/YellowFootprints.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/nvrsumr/22356731.jpg

Cito Pelon
01-27-2012, 10:41 PM
The only "retraining" we had was the Physical Condition Platoon or PCP aka Pork Chop Platoon.

That might have been what it was called in the Army, physical reconditioning or something like that. Oddly enough, those areas they were reconditioning the pork chops in just happened to be where the rest of us were so we could see what happens when you don't perform. They're not gonna let you out easy was the message.

Dutch
01-27-2012, 10:45 PM

Nope, worse than that in some cases. If you were failing to complete any of the disciplines (PFT, Practicle knowledge, rifle range, excessive weight, injury, etc..)you would be recycled up to 3 times. Fail the third time, you are gone. However, if you are one of those poor unfortunate fools who decides claiming you are gay will get you out of there, bad call, bad, bad, bad call. For the remainder of the time they were to be there, it is game time every day. They make those recruits call their fathers and explain to them that they preferred cock to tail and would be coming home soon. They would then parade them from barracks to barracks, a different one every night to explain what they were to the new platoon and would be forced to sleep on a cot on the quarter deck. All were instructed NOT to speak to it, or you woould be sharing it's fate. No one did. Happened twice while I was there. The Rumor we heard from the DI's is that there were Corpsmen at the Clinic that were telling recruits who were having troubles that they could use it and be out in days. I don't know, but I wanted to feel sorry for their weak asses......Couldn't do it. Let down their platoon, good riddance. Those are the ones that cave under fire.

Cito Pelon
01-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Nope, worse than that in some cases. If you were failing to complete any of the disciplines (PFT, Practicle knowledge, rifle range, excessive weight, injury, etc..)you would be recycled up to 3 times. Fail the third time, you are gone. However, if you are one of those poor unfortunate fools who decides claiming you are gay will get you out of there, bad call, bad, bad, bad call. For the remainder of the time they were to be there, it is game time every day. They make those recruits call their fathers and explain to them that they preferred cock to tail and would be coming home soon. They would then parade them from barracks to barracks, a different one every night to explain what they were to the new platoon and would be forced to sleep on a cot on the quarter deck. All were instructed NOT to speak to it, or you woould be sharing it's fate. No one did. Happened twice while I was there. The Rumor we heard from the DI's is that there were Corpsmen at the Clinic that were telling recruits who were having troubles that they could use it and be out in days. I don't know, but I wanted to feel sorry for their weak asses......Couldn't do it. Let down their platoon, good riddance. Those are the ones that cave under fire.

Yeah, once you're in the club so to speak there's no easy way out. Those that are in the club already don't like someone trying to slide out without paying any dues.

Dutch
01-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Yeah, once you're in the club so to speak there's no easy way out. Those that are in the club already don't like someone trying to slide out without paying any dues.

True dat. Great pics, Dukes. Brings back a boatload of memories.

Orange&BlueMohawk
01-28-2012, 05:34 PM
I was in boot camp in MCRD San Diego on Sept 11, 2001. The one day when you noticed that no planes were taking off. It wasn't until the afternoon that we were told what was happening. Crazy days.

Hit the fleet as an 0351. 1st Battlion 5th Marines Bravo Company. Did Iraq for the invasion (OIF 1) April 2004 Invasion of Fallujah (OIF 2) and then Ramadi (OIF 3).

Already made it into a book. Called 'Blood Stripes'. Two of the guys in there, CPL Howell and Dirty Steve ran the squad I was attached to. Doc Perkins was one of Corpsman. I am the picture of ' Unnamed Lance Corporal '.

I have lots of stories that are stuck in my head that need to be translated to written form. Boot Camp was actually kind of fun. The fleet has way worse hills than the Reaper. In boot it looks daunting. After a year or so in the fleet with a thousand hikes under your belt, the Reaper looks flat. :D

TheReverend
01-28-2012, 05:45 PM
^ have probably come across you irl. Second deployment is exactly where I was lol

Orange&BlueMohawk
01-28-2012, 09:42 PM
^ have probably come across you irl. Second deployment is exactly where I was lol

No kidding? Where, when, with who?

We ended up outside of Fallujah in Kharma. I want to say it was north of Camp Fullujah. We were at Camp Abu Gharab, I want to say we called it the MEK though. I spent most of my time out in ICDC compounds and on patrol.
Blood Stripes is actually a really good read, if you are into the philosophy side of how the Marine Corps works.

Congrats on the book deal. Gotta tell the stories or they get lost forever.

Los Broncos
01-29-2012, 12:04 AM
what do they fire off at Camp Pentelton? I hear them all the time at night, sounds like thunder.

TheReverend
01-29-2012, 12:13 PM
No kidding? Where, when, with who?

We ended up outside of Fallujah in Kharma. I want to say it was north of Camp Fullujah. We were at Camp Abu Gharab, I want to say we called it the MEK though. I spent most of my time out in ICDC compounds and on patrol.
Blood Stripes is actually a really good read, if you are into the philosophy side of how the Marine Corps works.

Congrats on the book deal. Gotta tell the stories or they get lost forever.

Deployed late Feb 2004 as an augment to 3rd LAAD to do base securtiy at Al Asad (nice place) then at start of Fallujah agumented with 3rd LAADs Lima Co to 2/5 and eventually making it back to Al Asad much later after Fallujah and Ramadi fun.

Dutch
01-29-2012, 05:20 PM
I was in boot camp in MCRD San Diego on Sept 11, 2001. The one day when you noticed that no planes were taking off. It wasn't until the afternoon that we were told what was happening. Crazy days.

Hit the fleet as an 0351. 1st Battlion 5th Marines Bravo Company. Did Iraq for the invasion (OIF 1) April 2004 Invasion of Fallujah (OIF 2) and then Ramadi (OIF 3).

Already made it into a book. Called 'Blood Stripes'. Two of the guys in there, CPL Howell and Dirty Steve ran the squad I was attached to. Doc Perkins was one of Corpsman. I am the picture of ' Unnamed Lance Corporal '.

I have lots of stories that are stuck in my head that need to be translated to written form. Boot Camp was actually kind of fun. The fleet has way worse hills than the Reaper. In boot it looks daunting. After a year or so in the fleet with a thousand hikes under your belt, the Reaper looks flat. :D

I can't fathom how surreal it must have been in boot on 9/11. After a couple of days you really didn't hear the jets anymore (like being based on an air station). The lack of those jets must have been deafening and must have signalled something was up well before they told you anything. I'll bet the intensity of recruit training picked up substantially afterwards as well. Thanks again to you guys who went and did the job. I get it, so do all of us who came before. Support the ones who are still there, and remember what our permanent DIs told us the day they picked us up, "If you do a 4 year hitch, the Marines will see combat before you get out". Been true for the last 200 years. Oh, and cracks me up that they PC police have changed the name of MoFo to the Reaper...heh heh heh, MoFo fit better....especially in the rain.

DivineLegion
01-29-2012, 08:42 PM
My HS history teacher who I still contact regularly (he works at the gym I work out at on the weekends), was a Marine Sniper, he told me a bunch of great stories about burying sand fleas and then having mock funerals to avoid the wrath of sentimental DIs. If you want you can PM your contact info ie. Email address and I will forward it to him.

TheReverend
02-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Update:

The ****ing title has been changed on me again. At my wits end.

That being said, there's a pretty good chance that I'm landing a back cover blurb quote from a former Commandant :)

Also, I HAVE landed a back cover quote from JP Shanley (Pulitzer, Academy, and Tony Awards Winner).

Projected release date is late spring early summer. Publisher is VERY confident this one gets pretty big :)

McDman
02-21-2012, 07:08 PM
My HS history teacher who I still contact regularly (he works at the gym I work out at on the weekends), was a Marine Sniper, he told me a bunch of great stories about burying sand fleas and then having mock funerals to avoid the wrath of sentimental DIs. If you want you can PM your contact info ie. Email address and I will forward it to him.

What is a sand flea and a DI?

TheReverend
02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
What is a sand flea and a DI?

DI is a drill instructor and a sand flea is just something the PI guys cry about to try and favorably compare themselves to the Hollywood mountains 8')