PDA

View Full Version : Is Demaryius Thomas about to break out?

footstepsfrom#27
12-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Is Demaryius Thomas about to break out? It was tough to tell from the Vikings game because he was so wide open on most of those catches but what a HUGE boon it would be to this offense if this guy suddenly starts living up to his potential and providing Tebow a truly legit #1 receiver. I like Decker but he's really mainly a possession guy who finds ways to get open. Thomas on the other side playing at a high level would make Decker even more effective.

SureShot
12-06-2011, 10:05 AM
If anyone should be comfortable in this offense it should be DT. I hope he keeps it up.

oubronco
12-06-2011, 10:07 AM
We can only hope so at this point

Turd_Ferguson
12-06-2011, 10:10 AM
I sure hope so. All the Tebow lovers have thrown this guy under the bus in the process of sucking off Tebow. I would love it if him and Tebow became a dynamic duo, and all the assholes that had talked trash about him while defending Tebow could listen to Tebow talk about how amazing Thomas is in all his interviews.

footstepsfrom#27
12-06-2011, 10:10 AM
I was also wondering if Julian Thomas might have more opportunity to get on the field if DT starts to perform. Having another go-to guy would make the passing option more viable for Fox to allow to Tebow the opportunity to throw it a bit more, and that would make JT's blocking deficiencies less of a factor. If Tebow does start throwing it more, having a nice TE target would be a significant boost and I see him as a level or more above their other options if he can just get some playing time.

BowlenBall
12-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Agree with your opinion on Thomas, disagree with the statement about Decker. Homeboy is 6'2", runs a 4.5 40, and has had several deep catches for us this year. He's much more than just a possession receiver, IMO.

If Thomas keeps improving, we've got a lethal #1 and #2 receiver for the next three years at least.

Crushaholic
12-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Let's just hope he is able to stay on the field. It was great to see him emerge, last week...

Kaylore
12-06-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm inclined to say no. Given his refusal to block, despite coming from a read option offense, and the fact that we just played one of the crappiest secondaries in the NFL, this last performance seems more anomalous than trending.

Smiling Assassin27
12-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Man, it sure would be nice. The flashes he's shown really remind me of an Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson in terms of the mismatch he creates.

Of course, with a qb who is as poor a thrower as Tebow... ;)

broncocalijohn
12-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Is Demaryius Thomas about to break out? It was tough to tell from the Vikings game because he was so wide open on most of those catches but what a HUGE boon it would be to this offense if this guy suddenly starts living up to his potential and providing Tebow a truly legit #1 receiver. I like Decker but he's really mainly a possession guy who finds ways to get open. Thomas on the other side playing at a high level would make Decker even more effective.

I guess since Decker is white, he is labeled a "possession receiver". Seems he got some nice space for those deep catches. DT needs to be a #1 guy. We got rid of two receivers ahead of him and he is our #1 draft pick at better half of the draft. I believe he had a nice block in the Viks game but that is something that has bothered me. In this system, receivers need to be able to lay the wood on these DBs. Remember, he has been injured and off the field than on the field.

Deuce
12-06-2011, 10:19 AM
I hope so, but he looked awfully slow. There was one catch that he should have easily ran away from the defender but he seemed to lack explosiveness. He may still be recovering from the achilles but I had the same injury and never got back to where I was before.

BroncoBeavis
12-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I sure hope so. All the Tebow lovers have thrown this guy under the bus in the process of sucking off Tebow. I would love it if him and Tebow became a dynamic duo, and all the a-holes that had talked trash about him while defending Tebow could listen to Tebow talk about how amazing Thomas is in all his interviews.

I'd say DT's play is what put him under the bus. Hopefully it was injury-related and he'll get past it.

And as for him being wide open, if he's a #1 guy he should be getting wide open the way defenses play us. If he can build on last Sunday, we will scare teams ****less.

bronco militia
12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
the word Break, and the name Demaryius Thomas go hand and hand....

(knocks on wood)

footstepsfrom#27
12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Agree with your opinion on Thomas, disagree with the statement about Decker. Homeboy is 6'2", runs a 4.5 40, and has had several deep catches for us this year. He's much more than just a possession receiver, IMO.

If Thomas keeps improving, we've got a lethal #1 and #2 receiver for the next three years at least.
Frankly, the term "possession receiver" is a compliment IMO...remember Ashley Leleigh? A guy who goes over the middle and absorbs the punishment is a necessity. NFL defenses will still spend more time trying to double a guy like Thomas than they will a 4.5 guy...but my primary point is that Decker could be even better if DT steps up his game on the other side.

BroncoBeavis
12-06-2011, 10:24 AM
From watching the few replays I got a good look at, it looked like the Vikes were more concerned about covering Decker than DT. Which would help explain the breakout.

BroncoBeavis
12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Frankly, the term "possession receiver" is a compliment IMO...remember Ashley Leleigh? A guy who goes over the middle and absorbs the punishment is a necessity.

I think you remember a different Ashley than I do. :)

OBF1
12-06-2011, 10:27 AM
It was 1 single game... even slowshon had 1 good game.

Turd_Ferguson
12-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I'd say DT's play is what put him under the bus. Hopefully it was injury-related and he'll get past it.

I'd say his injuries have. Last I checked he didn't go out of his way to play in a way that would cause injuries.

BroncoBeavis
12-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I hope so, but he looked awfully slow. There was one catch that he should have easily ran away from the defender but he seemed to lack explosiveness. He may still be recovering from the achilles but I had the same injury and never got back to where I was before.

Don't remember who it was, but he told us he had an achilles tear and made it back to form in slow pitch just fine.

So there is hope. :)

SureShot
12-06-2011, 10:30 AM

He did?

Turd_Ferguson
12-06-2011, 10:31 AM

Your thinking of Ashley Lelie kind of a sissy, played ball like a girl. . . Apparently this Leleigh guy was a force over the middle though.

ludo21
12-06-2011, 10:31 AM
guy has the size and speed to be an awesome WR.

Hope he puts it together if he can stay healthy. Im betting he can, seems like a good guy

TonyR
12-06-2011, 10:32 AM
All the Tebow lovers have thrown this guy under the bus in the process of sucking off Tebow. I would love it if him and Tebow became a dynamic duo, and all the a-holes that had talked trash about him while defending Tebow could listen to Tebow talk about how amazing Thomas is in all his interviews.

They were killing him after failing to get his second foot in bounds on that near catch on in the first half, as if it was an easy play and this proved that he was a bust. It was ridic.

footstepsfrom#27
12-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I guess since Decker is white, he is labeled a "possession receiver". Seems he got some nice space for those deep catches. DT needs to be a #1 guy. We got rid of two receivers ahead of him and he is our #1 draft pick at better half of the draft. I believe he had a nice block in the Viks game but that is something that has bothered me. In this system, receivers need to be able to lay the wood on these DBs. Remember, he has been injured and off the field than on the field.
I think he's a possession receiver, but not because he's white (so was Rod Smith.) He still got open deep didn't he? It's the 4.3 guys who scare defenses into double coverage for the most part (Jerry Rice and a few other excetions excluded) but Decker is gonne be a stud I have no doubt. We need two threats though, and this kid should be that threat at some point. I say "should"...I hope it's soon.

BowlenBall
12-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Wow... I had forgotten all about Moreno being on our team until just now... what a long, strange season it's been!

footstepsfrom#27
12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
No...same guy, the one who wouldn't go over the middle but liked the deep post and the fly pattern. Decker is the guy you want on 4th and 9 down 4 with time running out in the 4th quarter, Leleigh wasn't.

Broncbow
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
I sure hope so. All the Tebow lovers have thrown this guy under the bus in the process of sucking off Tebow.

Really?

Dedhed
12-06-2011, 10:58 AM

Absolutely. Decker was pivotal on every one of DTs catches; holding the safety inside, and leaving the outer part of the field wide open.

Seeing that on film, I wouldn't be surprised if Decker is open on the post next week when the S gets sucked out to cover DT.

bronco militia
12-06-2011, 10:59 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4Ve0qJvveUax_VnHIZ2J-W9MrOv77H2kQhPMjdOzzo8cowKV6C17hJOe8FA

cmhargrove
12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
At this point, we need receivers that understand the "expiration" of the play as much as anything. If you ran your route and the ball isn't in your face, time to improvise and find a soft spot in the coverage, because our QB is about to pull a big play out of his ass.

Our run game will lead to some good deep opportunities and some wide open play action, but many of our best plays might just be "busted plays." I have been saying from the beginning that I saw this team headed towards a Rapliesburger/Steelers style of play, where the QB extends the plays with his feet, then finds guys wide open. I think that is what we started seeing with the pocket flush / sideline play and DT touchdown last week in Minnesota. I think it is a recipe for success, and I hope we continue to build a compliment of receivers/running backs that will help us with this style of play.

DrFate
12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I'd vote no (I hope yes)

Bronco Boy
12-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I think he's a possession receiver, but not because he's white (so was Rod Smith.) He still got open deep didn't he? It's the 4.3 guys who scare defenses into double coverage for the most part (Jerry Rice and a few other excetions excluded) but Decker is gonne be a stud I have no doubt. We need two threats though, and this kid should be that threat at some point. I say "should"...I hope it's soon.

Are you saying Thomas is a "4.3 guy?" Not so sure about that.

vonqkilla
12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm inclined to say no. Given his refusal to block, despite coming from a read option offense, and the fact that we just played one of the crappiest secondaries in the NFL, this last performance seems more anomalous than trending.

Check out dts interview on pft, talks about blocking.

LittleFloyd
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
He's gonna break something, I'm thinking a hand. Left hand.

Requiem
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
He has all the potential in the world. Hopefully we will see similar success to last week as the season progresses. Let Tim unwind and make some throws. Thomas can go up and get it.

BroncoMan4ever
12-06-2011, 01:53 PM

like i have been saying since sunday, Decker is viewed as the threat in the Denver passing game. DT was wide open because he faced 1 on 1 and beat a weak corner, because Safety help over the top was focused on Decker.

DBroncos4life
12-06-2011, 01:55 PM

He is.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/465698-denver-broncos-wr-demaryius-thomas-the-nfls-best-kept-secret

Thomas reportedly was running a 40 yard dash in the 4.36-4.38 range prior to his foot injury. At 6'3" 229 pounds, the only other receivers in the NFL who might possess that kind of size/speed ratio are Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Calvin Johnson. It's almost unheard of.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16129521

The Broncos never officially timed Thomas in the 40-yard dash (his foot injury kept him out of the combine and pro day), but coach Josh McDaniels​ said Monday that Thomas is among the fastest players on the team. Thomas said his fastest 40-yard dash was a 4.38 he clocked while training in Arizona before breaking his foot. That would compare favorably with the fastest players in the game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/02/17/thomas/index.html

According to observers at Athletes Performance, where Thomas has been training, the 6-foot-3, 227-pound receiver had been turning in sensational workouts in preparation for the combine. He recently ran a verified 4.38 in the 40, which was recorded on film and will be sent to every team in the league, France told SI.com.

Rolandftw
12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
He has ideal size and speed. Will see if he can put together a couple good games before calling him a breakout tho.

footstepsfrom#27
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Not sure what he runs now post-injury but I think he clocked under 4.4 in the combine if I remember, and his size/speed combo was part of what made hiim a highly reguarded player coming out. If he can live up to his initial billing Tebow would have a nice new toy to play with and keep the heat off just one guy for a change.

BroncoBeavis
12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
No...same guy, the one who wouldn't go over the middle but liked the deep post and the fly pattern. Decker is the guy you want on 4th and 9 down 4 with time running out in the 4th quarter, Leleigh wasn't.

Ohhhh. I thought you were saying Lelie WAS that guy. :)

TheReverend
12-06-2011, 02:16 PM

(knocks on wood)

break

demaryius

hand

All 3 key words. Repped. :thumbsup:

Inkana7
12-06-2011, 02:43 PM
If it means getting Eddie Royal off the field, I hope so.

Agamemnon
12-06-2011, 02:52 PM
I sure hope so. All the Tebow lovers have thrown this guy under the bus in the process of sucking off Tebow. I would love it if him and Tebow became a dynamic duo, and all the a-holes that had talked trash about him while defending Tebow could listen to Tebow talk about how amazing Thomas is in all his interviews.

People haven't been throwing him under the bus. He's just looked so slow and lazy out there most of the time, and so he has brought a lot of criticism on himself. And rightfully so. I think we would all love to see him turn that around and start playing up to his potential. That would be awesome. We have too many other needs on this team to have to worry about WR too. DT breaking out would take care of that to a great degree. Last game was certainly a good sign...

Cleo McDowell
12-06-2011, 03:12 PM
http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/r8/6p/treat-pseudofolliculitis-barbae-800x800.jpg

Agamemnon
12-06-2011, 03:20 PM
http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/r8/6p/treat-pseudofolliculitis-barbae-800x800.jpg

Someone really shouldn't shave...

McDman
12-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Meh. When he has a couple big games against good secondaries I will believe it. The Vikings have the worst secondary in the league.

strafen
12-06-2011, 03:49 PM

For some reason, never liked the guy...
Everybody can see he's got talent. The only way he can help this team is if he stays healthy, and we all know he's gotten hurt too much.

I was impressed with his performance last Sunday.
I like to see him finish up the season in good health and that will be a huge plus for us when everything is said and done...

Agamemnon
12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Meh. When he has a couple big games against good secondaries I will believe it. The Vikings have the worst secondary in the league.

You do of course understand that a young, developing QB is going to have good games against bad secondaries before he starts doing well against good secondaries, yes? That's just simple logic.

Houshyamama
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM

(knocks on wood)

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jfq3c4Cf1Fs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jfq3c4Cf1Fs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Memento
12-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Cryogenics is the key here. DT needs to be frozen during the early off-season this year. He can be unfrozen around the beginning of OTAs.

Popps
12-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Yea, did anyone get a chance to see if he blocked this week?

All I know is, I saw some things in past weeks that I literally had to rewind a few times to see if they were real. Not just the one high-profile non-block, but a bunch of other times when he looked to be avoiding contact at all costs.

He knows this isn't basketball, right? You can hit guys?

EDIT: Bball players actually set picks, etc. Insert Soccer.

BroncoBen
12-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Lets hope Demaryius is ready to break out, after all the Broncos passed over drafting Dez Bryant.

bronco militia
12-11-2011, 03:42 PM
discuss

DBroncos4life
12-11-2011, 03:54 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/DemaryiusT

let him know how great he played

Our fans suck.

bronco militia
12-11-2011, 04:21 PM
SWEET REDEMPTION!!!

way to got DT!!

Lestat
12-11-2011, 04:29 PM
if he can be as good as or better than Brandon Marshall then we're set at WR with him and Decker. do need a wiggly playmaking slot though.

Inkana7
12-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Lots of drops but also lots of great plays. Let's hope that the drops are just rust and development.