PDA

View Full Version : Tebow the next Micheal Jordan?

Vine
12-05-2011, 04:54 PM
If Tebow goes on to become a very successful NFL quarterback...

Tebow will transcend the NFL in much the same way that Micheal Jordan transcended the NBA. The media firestorm around Tebow will only grow exponentially if Tebow continues his success, and the more he continues his success, the more exponentially the media firestorm will increase.

Imagine if Tebow goes on to win a Super Bowl... Win a couple Super Bowls.... At this point, Tebow will approach Micheal Jordan in fame and popularity and become a worldwide icon and also spread popularity of American football throughout the world much in the same way Jordan did for basketball.

I am thrilled he is a member of my favorite football team!

Dr. Broncenstein
12-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Prepare your anus.

Chris
12-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Micheal.

But yea. Totes bra.

maher_tyler
12-05-2011, 05:09 PM

Tebow will transcend the NFL in much the same way that Micheal Jordan transcended the NBA. The media firestorm around Tebow will only grow exponentially if Tebow continues his success, and the more he continues his success, the more exponentially the media firestorm will increase.

Imagine if Tebow goes on to win a Super Bowl... Win a couple Super Bowls.... At this point, Tebow will approach Micheal Jordan in fame and popularity and become a worldwide icon and also spread popularity of American football throughout the world much in the same way Jordan did for basketball.

Considering he hasn't accomplished much as of yet and he is as popular as he is, i don't see why not if he wins even 1 SB.

TDmvp
12-05-2011, 05:11 PM
As someone who lived through the Jordan era , and had friends on the MJ bandwagon hardcore the answer is yup ...

If this guy somehow ends up being a great NFL qb long term he is going to be Jordan like in the amount of coverage he gets...

:peace:

Victor
12-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Prepare your anus.

LO f'ing L

cmhargrove
12-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Maybe the next Tiger Woods? whoops.....

hambone13
12-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Prepare your anus.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mr.Meanie
12-05-2011, 05:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dy9E1.gif

SonOfLe-loLang
12-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I actually was thinking something similar, but its more a function with how the media works today than anything.

The craziest thing about Michael is that, in context, all you needed was his first name (despite it being the most popular name in america)...and EVERYONE knew who you were talking about. And, right now, if you just say "Tim" in a sports discussion....everyone will know who youre talking about

Vine
12-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Prepare your anus.

Clever

Vine
12-05-2011, 05:56 PM
As someone who lived through the Jordan era , and had friends on the MJ bandwagon hardcore the answer is yup ...

Thank you. Someone mentioned this the other day (you), and at first, I thought this notion is outlandish, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

So, another Tebow thread is the result!

extralife
12-05-2011, 05:58 PM
this is the thread that people that root for other teams will link to to make fun of Broncos fans

TDmvp
12-05-2011, 06:01 PM
this is the thread that people that root for other teams will link to to make fun of Broncos fans

It's still a fair question/statement.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I think Bron is probably the better comparison (in regards to hype)...lets hope Timmy has some better success!

Jay3
12-05-2011, 06:04 PM
I think the better comparison is Magic Johnson -- breaks all the conventional rules for what his position is supposed to look like, wins at every level, there's only one.

TDmvp
12-05-2011, 06:16 PM
And lets get one thing straight I wasn't comparing him to Jordan as far as what he's achieved , If you look back through my post you'll see I think Jordan is on a level only titles gets you to....

I was more talking about IF Tebow has long term success being the face / one of the faces of his sport for his era and having a M.J. type feel to it because of all the drama surrounding it.

There was a Ahhhh/aura around M.J. ... Tebow has some of that going and if it last long term it could be similar. I'll say this ... Watching Tebow highlights sure has that same Jordan type feeling , the winning on drive and heart , and in ways you didn't think he could.

And I rooted against Jordan and didn't want us to draft Tebow , so think it through before you flame me as a Teboner...

OrangeSe7en
12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
And lets get one thing straight I wasn't comparing him to Jordan as far as what he's achieved , If you look back through my post you'll see I think Jordan is on a level only titles gets you to....

I was more talking about IF Tebow has long term success being the face / one of the faces of his sport for his era and having a M.J. type feel to it because of all the drama surrounding it.

There was a Ahhhh/aura around M.J. ... Tebow has some of that going and if it last long term it could be similar. I'll say this ... Watching Tebow highlights sure has that same Jordan type feeling , the winning on drive and heart , and in ways you didn't think he could.

And I rooted against Jordan and didn't want us to draft Tebow , so think it through before you flame me as a Teboner...

n/m

ScottXray
12-05-2011, 06:26 PM

I wouldn't mind this...if he wins one SB then the hype will buy us some of those favorable calls that keep going to other teams all the time becasue of who thye are. Just think if Doom actually started to get some holding calls that are currently ignored. And Push offs by WR against our secondary were looked at ..

MJ traveled ALL the time and never got it called because...well he was MJ....and could do no wrong.

Victor
12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
I think Tebow is more like Gandhi, except Gandhi was right-handed.

Kaylore
12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Tebow is like Charlemagne, except Tebow doesn't suck as much as Charlemagne did.

broncocalijohn
12-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Tebow is more like Pontius Pilate but without being so mean and brutal.

KevinJames
12-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Vine we all like Tebow but this isn't a competition of who loves him the most. You making posts like this over and over is just making you look like a joke thats here for the Tebow and not the Broncos....

Lev Vyvanse
12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Jordan didn't win much and put up 30+ points per game early in his career. More like Tim's inverse.

Armchair Bronco
12-05-2011, 06:49 PM
We'll know Tebow is as big as Jordan once he starts making Fruit of the Loom underwear commercials.

Vine
12-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Vine we all like Tebow but this isn't a competition of who loves him the most. You making posts like this over and over is just making you look like a joke thats here for the Tebow and not the Broncos....

No, not all of us like Tebow. There are still many Broncos fans that will still claim that he can't play qb in the NFL.

Broncbow
12-05-2011, 06:52 PM
I was just watching Sea Biscuit and it dawned on me how Tebow was more like Seabiscuit than Jordan, then I found this article written just today.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Seabiscuit_workout_with_GW_up.jpg/723px-Seabiscuit_workout_with_GW_up.jpg

Is Tim Tebow (Christian QB) the new Seabiscuit (a racehorse)?

Well, they both have equine lineages -- Seabiscuit's is from the stable, Tim Tebow as a controversial first-round pick by the Broncos of the NFL.

Now Jim Daly, head of the Christian ministry Focus on the Family, just down the road from Denver, is arguing that Tebow and his "underdog-and-under-God" status make him a national inspiration just as much as the unlikely racing champion Seabiscuit (that's him at the right) was for Depression-era America:

People pulled for that horse for no other reason than because the horse gave them hope. It gave them something to cheer about when things in the country looked bleak. It reminded them that success is not just about victory but also persistence and attitude.

Which is why I think Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow is today's version of Seabiscuit. The public is particularly hungry for a good guy to root for and eager to see an underdog defy his critics.

To be sure, they've found an affable and honorable hero in the former Heisman Trophy-winning player.

It's also refreshing to see a guy who gets paid to play football remind reporters that there are more important things in life than football, namely his faith in Jesus Christ and his care and concern for his fellow man.

So take that, Kurt Warner, who recently suggested Tebow tone down all the "Tebowing."

And Daly was writing a week ago after Tebow led the Broncos over the Chargers to go 5-1 since taking over as the starting quarterback. With another win yesterday, over Minnesota, he is 6-1, and has all those supposed enemies in the media singing his praises:

•“If there’s been a story like Tebow’s in the 27 years I’ve covered the NFL, I’m having a hard time recalling it," said SI's Peter King.
•"Tebow is the NFL’s Most Valuable Player," says Greg Couch of Fox Sports.
•"Sorry, Denver. This love affair is bigger than any one city. The Broncos are America's team now," writes Mike Kiszla of The Denver Post.
Okay, fine. Anything to knock Dallas off that pedestal.

Still, the stats are still dubious. And a QB isn't like a race horse, even if Tebow runs like one; there are lots of other players helping Tebow out.

But he's leading, and still a good guy. But Seabiscuit? Who will play Tebow in the movie?

http://www.religionnews.com/index.php?/gibson/2011/12/is_tim_tebow_christian_qb_the_new_seabiscuit_a_rac ehorse/

broncocalijohn
12-05-2011, 06:52 PM
No, not all of us like Tebow. There are still many Broncos fans that will still claim that he can't play qb in the NFL.

So is it your job to put threads like this so they will happen to love Tebow? Be forced to love Tebow? There is a ton of people that like him but can't stand the new "Broncos" fan from Northern Florida. I wish some of these "fans" will act like we have been there before but in reality, last time we had hype was our 6-0 start in 2009 and we know what happened. Probably why some are even cautious about it and want to do the Wait and See approach.

DBroncos4life
12-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm sure Nike will be launching the Air TT's any moment.

yerner
12-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I hate you.

Steve Prefontaine
12-05-2011, 07:00 PM
:rofl:Prepare your anus.

Broncbow
12-05-2011, 07:01 PM
This blog was written after the Chargers game.

Tim Tebow is Today's Seabiscuit

He arrived at a time when the nation was fearful and fighting malaise, hungry for a hero to root for, eager to find hope amidst the dark clouds of uncertainty.

That the "he" was a three-year-old thoroughbred racehorse made no difference. After all, Americans enjoy rooting for the little guy, especially when that little guy is criticized and counted out by so-called experts.

Do you remember the story?

It was 1938, smack in the middle of the Great Depression. Seabiscuit was a three-year-old horse from Kentucky. Analysts thought him too small and too wobbly to be a real contender and his performance in his first few races seemed to confirm the corporate consensus. But something clicked, or better yet, somebody gave the horse a chance. In time he didn't just win, but was declared the best horse in America. He lifted people's spirits and helped to remind them that with heart and hard work good things can happen...

http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/jim-daly/tim-tebow-is-todays-seabiscuit.html

Rohirrim
12-05-2011, 07:13 PM
And after every victory he would neigh, "I just want to thank my lord and saviour, Wilbur."

Popps
12-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Again, ban with the following parameters:

-Insta
-Perma
-IP
-Friends and Family

theAPAOps5
12-05-2011, 08:10 PM
God this is pathetic

ghwk
12-05-2011, 08:12 PM

Imagine if you stopped posting here. Yah That would be cool, go for it!

theAPAOps5
12-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Tebow was Arabic but converted to Caucasian because he wanted to remain left handed.

ghwk
12-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Tebow is today's fig newton. I don't know why.

ZONA
12-05-2011, 08:18 PM

Jordan did not transcend the NBA. There were guys around who could do what he could do (Dr. J, etc.) just not quite as well and ddidn't win as much. Micheal just happened to win alot and that helped propel him to greatness.

chanesaw
12-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Like Tim, if I could be like Tim.

BroncoBen
12-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Cool your Jets dude... Tebow has only started 10 games.. your already crowning him the greatest QB to ever play the game of football.

Vine
12-05-2011, 08:46 PM
So is it your job to put threads like this so they will happen to love Tebow? Be forced to love Tebow? There is a ton of people that like him but can't stand the new "Broncos" fan from Northern Florida. I wish some of these "fans" will act like we have been there before but in reality, last time we had hype was our 6-0 start in 2009 and we know what happened. Probably why some are even cautious about it and want to do the Wait and See approach.

Fair enough. I agree with this. It's just so damn hard to tone down the excitement because of that disproportionately irrational analysis from nearly all members of the media, local and national. I am basking in the glory of Tebow proving all these types wrong, but excited about the rest of the team (Von Miller!) and being in a real playoff race in December at the same time.

Vine
12-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Again, ban with the following parameters:

-Insta
-Perma
-IP
-Friends and Family

Too stupid to ignore and too ****ing stupid to follow my advice to ignore. But okay.

Vine
12-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Cool your Jets dude... Tebow has only started 10 games.. your already crowning him the greatest QB to ever play the game of football.

I should have clarified in the original message that I was not claiming Tebow to be a great qb (talentwise, anyway) but just has the ability to become an icon that will grow to mass proportions beyond anything comprehensible.

Rohirrim
12-05-2011, 09:14 PM
I should have clarified in the original message that I was not claiming Tebow to be a great qb (talentwise, anyway) but just has the ability to become an icon that will grow to mass proportions beyond anything comprehensible.

Like Kim Kardashian.

Steve Sewell
12-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Holy cow I didn't know that people your age would still be living. You must be up there in your 30's or 40's! I tell ya, soon people will be living into their 50's. Crazy when you think about it.

Kaylore
12-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Tim Tebow is like the tube worm.

TDmvp
12-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Holy cow I didn't know that people your age would still be living. You must be up there in your 30's or 40's! I tell ya, soon people will be living into their 50's. Crazy when you think about it.

:spit: Well played Steve . Well played...

Yea it did come of like I was talking about Babe Ruth or something from 80 years ago LOL .

And I'm 36 .

hookemhess
12-05-2011, 11:12 PM

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/lol/grand/michael-jordan-lol.gif

Miss I.
12-05-2011, 11:16 PM
who the **** is Michelle/Micheal/Michelin Jordan? Did you mean Michael?

And really? This is a question? I mean I suppose it's better than asking if he's better than Elway, but for the love of media hype, Miguel won a lot of championships so he got his hype for a reason other than being really neat. let's give Tim sometime before crowning him the Mikael Jordan of Football.

I normally don't go full out on typos, but in this case, getting Michael Jordan's name right isn't that difficult a task if you are going to compare Tim to a legend, at least get the legend's name correct.

BTW, Chuck Norris wears Tim Tebow pajamas. Not entirely relevant, but what the heck. ;D

MacGruder
12-06-2011, 12:38 AM
I think the better comparison is Magic Johnson -- breaks all the conventional rules for what his position is supposed to look like, wins at every level, there's only one.

I see a lot of similarities to Jordan because Jordan needed to develop his jumper going into the NBA.. yet he was still a clutch shooter.. like Tebow still makes clutch passes when he has to.

I also think Tebow and Jordan are psychotic about winning.. where as Magic was smiling while he killed guys and was flashier.

Also.. both Jordan and Tebow were youngest brothers who were owned by older brothers which made them psychotic winners. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger..

extralife
12-06-2011, 12:54 AM
also.. both Jordan and Tebow have two arms and two legs.. just saying..

MacGruder
12-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Good point.. Tebow won two championships in college.. MJ only won one.. Not really fair to Tebow to put Jordan in his league at this point.

BowlenBall
12-06-2011, 03:38 AM
I think Tebow is more like Mother Teresa, except M.T. could throw a prettier spiral than T.T.

Rohirrim
12-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Tim Tebow could pick up Tedy Bruschi and use him like a club to beat Chuck Norris to death.

Spider
12-06-2011, 08:08 AM

Take your ****ing meds and get back to the quit room , Crazier then a Chithouse mouse

Rohirrim
12-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Tebow could have beat the entire Bulls team in their prime, one on five.

He could dunk on Shaq.

Kaylore
12-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Tim Tebow is like Franklin Roosevelt, but Tebow has better vision and legs that are receiving a signal from his brain.

SureShot
12-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Tebow or Ditka?

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Tim Tebow is like Franklin Roosevelt, but Tebow has better vision and legs that are receiving a signal from his brain.

Motor neurons are gay.

broncoblue
12-06-2011, 08:43 AM
tebow could be the second coming of god!!!

footstepsfrom#27
12-06-2011, 10:36 AM
http://web.hcsps.sa.edu.au/projects/heroes/josh/ali%205.jpg

Rohirrim
12-06-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has called Tebow to settle this economic crisis.

BowlenBall
12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has called Tebow to settle this economic crisis.

November Jobs Report: Unemployment Rate Drops To Lowest Level Since March 2009 (http://www.citytowninfo.com/career-and-education-news/articles/november-jobs-report-unemployment-rate-drops-to-lowest-level-since-march-2009-11120202)

The little-known Tebow Effect....

OEII
12-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I've been on this board for less than three week and its essentially unreadable any more. I really, really, really do not like Tebow fans

Dr. Broncenstein
12-06-2011, 11:33 AM
I've been on this board for less than three week and its essentially unreadable any more. I really, really, really do not like Tebow fans

You'll get over it.

MacGruder
12-06-2011, 01:06 PM

Probably because you're a snob.

Vine
12-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Take your ****ing meds and get back to the quit room , Crazier then a Chithouse mouse

I take it that English is not your first language.

Vine
12-06-2011, 04:02 PM

I agree this board is unreadable at times, but not for the same reasons that you think it's unreadable.

fontaine
12-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Tebow is like Vine in that they are both mammals, except for the part where Vine is a loony dumba$$.

fontaine
12-06-2011, 05:38 PM
inafterVineJustmadeMyignoreList.

Popps
12-06-2011, 07:18 PM

It's amazing how you could like something, and yet be so repulsed by others who like the same thing. It's an odd phenomenon.

But, here we are.

theAPAOps5
12-06-2011, 07:41 PM
I agree this board is unreadable at times, but not for the same reasons that you think it's unreadable.

You are one of the primary reasons.

Vine
12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
You are one of the primary reasons.

The feeling is mutual.

theAPAOps5
12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
The feeling is mutual.

Yeah most the board agrees with me. Especially with pathetic threads like this one.

SoCalBronco
12-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Vine reminds me of KnowMo from Chiefsplanet.

BroncoMan4ever
12-07-2011, 02:21 AM

if Tebow turns into an elite NFL player he can achieve icon like status of a Michael Jordan.

but while watching the Minnesotta game, i got to thinking. Tebow is in a way a less polished, more likeable and minus the rape face, version of Rothlesberger.

great in late game situations, typically throws limited number of passes in a game playing for a team that wants to run the ball and play really good defense, ability to improvise and stretch out plays to make something happen.

OEII
12-07-2011, 08:06 AM
It's amazing how you could like something, and yet be so repulsed by others who like the same thing. It's an odd phenomenon.

But, here we are.

It really is. It’s like these people are in a trance. It’s unsettling, and although I enjoy the winning, I can’t help but feel that something really not about the Broncos, threatens any long term success as the organization is held hostage by this “Tebow thing”. Tebow goes 10 for 15 passing (10! for 15 passing attempts in an NFL game) and I am posting in a thread comparing Tebow to Michael Jordan. The whole “tebowmania” has me a bit turned off. The manner of the influx of new Bronco fans is unbelievable. I liken them to Black Friday Wal-Mart shoppers - somewhat sad, empty people with little class and even less grip on reality - Kool-Aid drinkers, who run the gamete from news paper columnist (like Klis) to wack jobs who normally have nothing to do with football. Their relentless, lock-step, attacks on anybody not entirely in love with Tebow the football player; is unreal, not to mention the biggest contradiction in sports. They conduct themselves in a manner that is not even remotely becoming of the player they seemly proclaim to support. It seems that the ONLY one in the whole “tebowmania” that shows any sense or class is Tebow himself. Amongst this winning streak, Elway, the only guy who truly deserves the loyalty of Bronco fans, gets attacked relentlessly. As do the coaches, WRs, and anybody except Tebow (who himself makes many mistakes and has many limitations). So it really is a dilemma. Yes, the winning is nice, love the way the coaching staff is coming together, and Von Miller (I can’t even begin to describe my excitement for him in a Bronco uniform); but if you ask me amongst all these very good thing, “Bronco fans” attacking Elway has really brought Bronco fandom to its lowest point ever. And the saddest part is the dark-age is not caused by true Bronco fans. Tebowmania not only holds the organization hostage, it also has Bronco fans unnerved. Anybody who felt the joy of the being on top of the football world with back-to-back superbowl championships can’t possibly be completely comfortable with what’s going on right now. Elway has a real tough job.

hookemhess
12-07-2011, 08:18 AM
It really is. It’s like these people are in a trance. It’s unsettling, and although I enjoy the winning, I can’t help but feel that something really not about the Broncos, threatens any long term success as the organization is held hostage by this “Tebow thing”. Tebow goes 10 for 15 passing (10! for 15 passing attempts in an NFL game) and I am posting in a thread comparing Tebow to Michael Jordan. The whole “tebowmania” has me a bit turned off. The manner of the influx of new Bronco fans is unbelievable. I liken them to Black Friday Wal-Mart shoppers - somewhat sad, empty people with little class and even less grip on reality - Kool-Aid drinkers, who run the gamete from news paper columnist (like Klis) to wack jobs who normally have nothing to do with football. Their relentless, lock-step, attacks on anybody not entirely in love with Tebow the football player; is unreal, not to mention the biggest contradiction in sports. They conduct themselves in a manner that is not even remotely becoming of the player they seemly proclaim to support. It seems that the ONLY one in the whole “tebowmania” that shows any sense or class is Tebow himself.

I agree with this part of your post. I do, however, think TT has earned the starting nod for 2012. I'm seeing steady improvement in the passing game. People forget that he's still a very young QB. We're lucky that we don't have to do what other teams with young QB's do and throw the ball 35-40 times a game and take the lumps of a young QB. Is he the QOTF? I dunno. But I do know that it's obvious we can win with him now, so we can focus on acquiring other pieces of the puzzle this off season.

OEII
12-07-2011, 08:37 AM
I agree with this part of your post. I do, however, think TT has earned the starting nod for 2012. I'm seeing steady improvement in the passing game. People forget that he's still a very young QB. We're lucky that we don't have to do what other teams with young QB's do and throw the ball 35-40 times a game and take the lumps of a young QB. Is he the QOTF? I dunno. But I do know that it's obvious we can win with him now, so we can focus on acquiring other pieces of the puzzle this off season.

Absolutely. There is no doubt about that. I like Tebow and its is clear he is getting better. To me its pretty easy to separate Tebow the Denver Bronco QB from Tebowmania. I do that. He has definately earned the opportunity to develop, and should be slotted in for 2012 if not also 2013. Without overstating his play thus far, I like what I'm seeing from the kid week to week. He is getting better and looking more comfortable.

Kaylore
12-07-2011, 08:45 AM

But, here we are.

It is what it is. You have two groups, in my opinion, who make it harder to have a normal conversation:

The Haters - This is the group of people who hate Tebow. They hate him because of any number of reasons: His religion, his politics, his happy-go-lucky nature, his play, his annoying fanboys. They dislike Tebow on almost unreasonable label going so far as to root for his failure in some instances. This group is the minority.

Then there's the Teboners - Some are just Florida transplant fans who want to keep watching their idol (there is nothing wrong with this). They don't give a crap about the Broncos or the team history. They only care about the team inasmuch as it makes Tebow look good. They rip Elway for not showing more support and I believe its also because they secretly don't like other legendary quarterbacks around stealing the limelight from their hero. This group is also the minority, but they are a vocal and annoying one.

Obviously neither leaves much room for middle ground, which makes some good conversations quickly become tedious. The haters go out of their way to point out every flaw and make a point of minimizing his accomplishments and highlighting his mistakes. The Teboners blame everything that didn't work perfectly on everyone and everything but Tebow and start stupid threads like this one.

bendog
12-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Tebow > Unitas. bank on it. It's inevitable. Written. Foretold as it were.