PDA

View Full Version : John Elway appreciation thread

mwill07
12-05-2011, 10:44 AM
He hired the right guy in Fox. That much is clear. This team needed a steady hand and improvement on defense - Fox brought all that, and more.
Coaching Staff - Dennis Allen has been tremendous... we all see that. let's also consider the improved OL play - credit to Magazu? How about the special teams - credit to Rodgers? Yes, this is Fox's staff, I'm assuming Elway was involved in the interview/approval process.
Draft - Von Miller was the pick of the draft for sure. He almost single-handedly turned around this defense. Outside of Von, Franklin has been solid, we have had improved safety play from Moore/Carter.
Free-agency - We did not make any big free/agency splashes. We didn't get the DT we wanted, but right now, I think it's pretty clear that Bunkley/ Thomas / McBean have been adequate. We didn't get the expensive DeAngelo Williams, McGahee has been great. Chris Harris has been outstanding for a rookie, I've been pleased with Cosby, and even Wilhite has shown some flashes.
dealing with the media: Elway has ushered in a new era of openness with the media, for better or worse. I loved seeing some of the interview stuff on denverbroncos.com during the coaching search. I loved the telephone conference calls they had before the pre-season. I love that he breaks stuff directly to twitter. I think it's great. I do wish he would keep some stuff a little closer to the vest though...

Elway has become more than a historic hero and he is more than a figure head. He is the catalyst for this entire turnaround, taking a team from 4-12 into the drivers seat for the division title. I think it's been a fantastic job so far.

Spider
12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
He hired the right guy in Fox. That much is clear. This team needed a steady hand and improvement on defense - Fox brought all that, and more.
Coaching Staff - Dennis Allen has been tremendous... we all see that. let's also consider the improved OL play - credit to Magazu? How about the special teams - credit to Rodgers? Yes, this is Fox's staff, I'm assuming Elway was involved in the interview/approval process.
Draft - Von Miller was the pick of the draft for sure. He almost single-handedly turned around this defense. Outside of Von, Franklin has been solid, we have had improved safety play from Moore/Carter.
Free-agency - We did not make any big free/agency splashes. We didn't get the DT we wanted, but right now, I think it's pretty clear that Bunkley/ Thomas / McBean have been adequate. We didn't get the expensive DeAngelo Williams, McGahee has been great. Chris Harris has been outstanding for a rookie, I've been pleased with Cosby, and even Wilhite has shown some flashes.
dealing with the media: Elway has ushered in a new era of openness with the media, for better or worse. I loved seeing some of the interview stuff on denverbroncos.com during the coaching search. I loved the telephone conference calls they had before the pre-season. I love that he breaks stuff directly to twitter. I think it's great. I do wish he would keep some stuff a little closer to the vest though...

Elway has become more than a historic hero and he is more than a figure head. He is the catalyst for this entire turnaround, taking a team from 4-12 into the drivers seat for the division title. I think it's been a fantastic job so far.
:thumbs:

bendog
12-05-2011, 10:55 AM
He's obviously in way over his head, and his failure to give Tebow the keys to the ... Lada ... show that he's a small insecure man.

footstepsfrom#27
12-05-2011, 10:56 AM
The jury on Elway the GM is still far from in. If he dumps Tebow in the off season he will be under enormous pressure to find a guy who wins very very quickly and demonstrates he is "the guy" to lead this team to the promised land or we will see how fickle this fan base will become towards him as a front office guy even if they love him as a player/hero/god for his exploits on the field.

Play2win
12-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Here's to the Duke!! :thumbsup:

barryr
12-05-2011, 11:06 AM
They had a good first draft, well assuming Moore gets his stuff together. But they need another good draft, maybe 2, and make some nice hits in free agency before they become a true contender.

Drek
12-05-2011, 11:09 AM
I agree with points 1 and 2 wholeheartedly.

Point #3: Not missing on the 2nd overall pick is nice. Franklin has been solid. Moore and Carter are up and down. The draft has basically nothing else to show for it at this point. Green and Julius Thomas are nice long term plays but we'll wait and see. He needs to hit on a higher number of players in next year's draft and he'll be doing it with much less value (no 2nd overall pick, no pair of 2nds).

Point #4: McGahee instead of Deangelo Williams was a smart move for sure. I liked the Daniel Fells signing when we made it and still like it. But we were otherwise far too inactive with a team that still has holes that need to be filled. Betting on Warren in order to save a million a year as opposed to getting the younger, healthier Mebane is still a bad move. Harris has been solid as a nickel option but why wasn't any competition for Goodman put on this roster? He's old, slow, and is obviously a weakness on this defense. I know the team likes Joe Mays' high motor style of play but we're shuffling him and Woodyard because they're both only half a real starting linebacker. Paul Posluszny or Kirk Morrison would both be big improvements and were available. We've gotten lucky that our OL has generally been very healthy, but we're dodging bullets there with almost no quality depth to speak of behind the first string.

I could go on but we didn't actually help ourselves much in FA and are sitting on a mountain of cap room. Now maybe this is a decree from on high where Bowlen is unwilling to spend the money (VERY likely if you ask me). But we were cheap for even our historically cheap record on spending. I can see giving the players a year to sort the wheat from the chaff and so I won't view this first year too harshly, but we need to be extremely pro-active in FA next year, especially with a full pre-season and no top tier pick to get a difference maker handed to us in the draft.

Point #5: Bunkney says hello.

He's got a ways to go before I start heaping praise on him as a front office man. He's made some good first steps and he's been very complacent with regards to other needs of this club. Its up to him now to show us that it was a get your feet wet/learn what you have trial and that he will be on the ball to give our young core the additional help they need for 2012, when we should be taking over this division long term.

24champ
12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Yeah, Elway has a ways to go before I start getting impressed with this FO. This team still lacks depth (which we ignored to get in FA) and we've been really lucky with regards to injuries.

I just hope they are smart enough build around Von Miller on the defense, because Dennis Allen would do great things for us if he had a one or two more playmakers.

Smilin Assassin
12-05-2011, 12:04 PM
In Elway I Trust

broncocalijohn
12-05-2011, 12:09 PM
In before Baby TO posts and you guys quote him.
Is the FO tied down from Bowlen? Some suggest it and we have a lot of money on the table this season that was not spent. They hit big on Bunkley and so far have missed on Warren. Now that we seem to have a winner, does Bowlen have confidence we can make a deep run for next season and spend to the cap? I know the NFL agreement is up to 90% of the cap and he does have to spend the money of those that we waived. So far I think their vision has been good for the team. Only big one to wait on is what they think of Tebow long term and what type of QB will be backing him up, a middle round draft (or even higher) pick or veteran FA?

gyldenlove
12-05-2011, 12:16 PM
He is basicly in the same boat as Tebow, he has made some good moves and some less good moves but it is still way too early to annoint him the king of all GMs despite some positive early trends and improvements.

Drek
12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
In before Baby TO posts and you guys quote him.
Is the FO tied down from Bowlen? Some suggest it and we have a lot of money on the table this season that was not spent. They hit big on Bunkley and so far have missed on Warren. Now that we seem to have a winner, does Bowlen have confidence we can make a deep run for next season and spend to the cap? I know the NFL agreement is up to 90% of the cap and he does have to spend the money of those that we waived. So far I think their vision has been good for the team. Only big one to wait on is what they think of Tebow long term and what type of QB will be backing him up, a middle round draft (or even higher) pick or veteran FA?
The first couple years of the new CBA do no require us to be at 90% compliance yet. I'm hoping that Bowlen is just living up his grace period to build a war chest and not just letting all this extra wealth go out the back door, but we'll see.

This next off-season is the first one where Elway really needs to earn his stripes though. Get the guys needed for another solid step forward and I'll start to buy on on this FO group. If he does that we should be in position to take over the division for a long time to come.

BroncoMan4ever
12-05-2011, 01:21 PM
only draft pick that has been disappointing is Moore. yes he started earlier this season, but was replaced and yesterday wasn't even active. long fall for the 2nd rounder we were led to believe would be a mainstay in the secondary for years to come

Broncos_OTM
12-05-2011, 01:32 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M3ZSxDdENPA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

24champ
12-05-2011, 01:41 PM
only draft pick that has been disappointing is Moore. yes he started earlier this season, but was replaced and yesterday wasn't even active. long fall for the 2nd rounder we were led to believe would be a mainstay in the secondary for years to come

Moore just needs to work on tackling and he will be fine.

broncocalijohn
12-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Moore just needs to work on tackling and he will be fine.

That is a huge problem! I dont think we say to one of our receivers is all he needs to work on is holding onto the ball.

Shotgun Willie
12-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I dont think we say to one of our receivers is all he needs to work on is holding onto the ball.

[as Eddie Royal cries in a corner somewhere]

24champ
12-05-2011, 02:00 PM
That is a huge problem! I dont think we say to one of our receivers is all he needs to work on is holding onto the ball.

Moore is a ballhawking safety, I trust Allen's coaching abilities to make Moore into a complete player as he has secondary coaching experience. I think Carter can replace Dawkins and Moore can move back to his position once he improves.

BroncoBeavis
12-05-2011, 02:09 PM
I'd give John a solid B, grading on the rookie curve. As soon as he figures out that a FO's job is mostly done in the offseason and maintains a very low profile for the other 17 weeks, we might start looking at an A.

Shotgun Willie
12-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Moore is a ballhawking safety, I trust Allen's coaching abilities to make Moore into a complete player as he has secondary coaching experience. I think Carter can replace Dawkins and Moore can move back to his position once he improves.

Yup. I refuse to grade rookies after the whole lockout thing essentially screwed them out of their entire offseason. It's hard enough to make an impact as a rookie in a normal year. This year? Awesome if you can, but I'm not going to write you off if you don't.

Broncbow
12-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Regarding Tebow Elway gets a big phat F.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QiLXtu7gCLc/TadF7Bw3jmI/AAAAAAAABOs/8_RkF9odlrc/s1600/ConfidenceFail.jpg

OBF1
12-05-2011, 02:19 PM
The jury on Elway the GM is still far from in. If he dumps Tebow in the off season he will be under enormous pressure to find a guy who wins very very quickly and demonstrates he is "the guy" to lead this team to the promised land or we will see how fickle this fan base will become towards him as a front office guy even if they love him as a player/hero/god for his exploits on the field.

I thought he was the Vice President of operations... Xanders is the GM ???

strafen
12-05-2011, 02:22 PM
I appreciate that, Duke!

24champ
12-05-2011, 02:23 PM
I thought he was the Vice President of operations... Xanders is the GM ???

He may be referring to the fact Elway has final say (even though Ellis holds that power) on personnel decisions.

jonny1
12-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Prople are still crying over Mebane, after HE decided to stay where he was.

Amazing, I guess its the 'Madden' thing, people think that just because a free agent is out there, the team can automatically get him.

The player has to sign with you, its not like drafting someone.

Edit: just looked at stats, Mebane has 4 more tackles than Bunkley . . . what a failure (sarcasm)

i4jelway7
12-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Elway has done a fantastic job in the short time he has been VPO

Agamemnon
12-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Here's hoping he's smarter than that...

mwill07
12-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Regarding Tebow Elway gets a big phat F.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QiLXtu7gCLc/TadF7Bw3jmI/AAAAAAAABOs/8_RkF9odlrc/s1600/ConfidenceFail.jpg

get the eff out of here with this crap. This thread does not concern you. This thread is for the folks who endured the Travis Henry years. Marlon McRee. Niko Koutivitas. Boss Bailey. Bob Slowick. Jim Bates. Dewayne Robertson. Jarvis Moss. Willie Middlebrooks. Deltha O'Neil. Marcus Nash. and on and on and on...

I'm not going to stand idly by while johnny come lately gator fans come around and sully the name of the man who put all of today's pieces in place after the disaster of last year.

Broncbow
12-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm not going to stand idly by while johnny come lately gator fans come around and sully the name of the man who put all of today's pieces in place after the disaster of last year.

Are you out of your god damn mind? You will let Elway sully Tebows name?
Further more you need to do your homework and when you do you will realize Elway had virtually nothing to do with this compared to what McDaniels did.

mwill07
12-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I agree with points 1 and 2 wholeheartedly.

Point #3: Not missing on the 2nd overall pick is nice. Franklin has been solid. Moore and Carter are up and down. The draft has basically nothing else to show for it at this point. Green and Julius Thomas are nice long term plays but we'll wait and see. He needs to hit on a higher number of players in next year's draft and he'll be doing it with much less value (no 2nd overall pick, no pair of 2nds).

Point #4: McGahee instead of Deangelo Williams was a smart move for sure. I liked the Daniel Fells signing when we made it and still like it. But we were otherwise far too inactive with a team that still has holes that need to be filled. Betting on Warren in order to save a million a year as opposed to getting the younger, healthier Mebane is still a bad move. Harris has been solid as a nickel option but why wasn't any competition for Goodman put on this roster? He's old, slow, and is obviously a weakness on this defense. I know the team likes Joe Mays' high motor style of play but we're shuffling him and Woodyard because they're both only half a real starting linebacker. Paul Posluszny or Kirk Morrison would both be big improvements and were available. We've gotten lucky that our OL has generally been very healthy, but we're dodging bullets there with almost no quality depth to speak of behind the first string.

I could go on but we didn't actually help ourselves much in FA and are sitting on a mountain of cap room. Now maybe this is a decree from on high where Bowlen is unwilling to spend the money (VERY likely if you ask me). But we were cheap for even our historically cheap record on spending. I can see giving the players a year to sort the wheat from the chaff and so I won't view this first year too harshly, but we need to be extremely pro-active in FA next year, especially with a full pre-season and no top tier pick to get a difference maker handed to us in the draft.

Point #5: Bunkney says hello.

He's got a ways to go before I start heaping praise on him as a front office man. He's made some good first steps and he's been very complacent with regards to other needs of this club. Its up to him now to show us that it was a get your feet wet/learn what you have trial and that he will be on the ball to give our young core the additional help they need for 2012, when we should be taking over this division long term.

crap...can't believe I forgot to mention Bunkley.

I think we weren't all that active in FA because Elway wanted to be able to develop in-house and drafted talent. That's what you should be doing if you think you are in re-building mode. Had Elway know that we would be in 1st place in the AFCW in December, I like to think different decisions would be made...the MLB's you cited above, the Lloyd trade, etc. We played this off-season like we are in "win three years from now" mode, which is where we all thought we would be.

mwill07
12-05-2011, 03:23 PM
I'd give John a solid B, grading on the rookie curve. As soon as he figures out that a FO's job is mostly done in the offseason and maintains a very low profile for the other 17 weeks, we might start looking at an A.

I don't think it's possible for Elway to maintain a low profile.

Broncbow
12-05-2011, 03:23 PM
crap...can't believe I forgot to mention Bunkley.

I think we weren't all that active in FA because Elway wanted to be able to develop in-house and drafted talent.

Thanks for making my point. 8')

Pick Six
12-05-2011, 03:29 PM
We've found the formula to winning. All it takes is Elway coming down from the box and we win. When Elway is stalking the sidelines, good things happen...:thumbs:

mwill07
12-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Further more you need to do your homework and when you do you will realize Elway had virtually nothing to do with this compared to what McDaniels did.

you're right. Without McDaniels, we wouldn't have been position to draft Von Miller. :thumbs:

Mile High Mojoe
12-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Good post.

OEII
12-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Are you out of your god damn mind? You will let Elway sully Tebows name?

Your a pile of trash dude. I wish you fools would go back to the swamp. The Broncos fandom just feels dirty with you people around.

OEII
12-05-2011, 03:53 PM
get the eff out of here with this crap. This thread does not concern you. This thread is for the folks who endured the Travis Henry years. Marlon McRee. Niko Koutivitas. Boss Bailey. Bob Slowick. Jim Bates. Dewayne Robertson. Jarvis Moss. Willie Middlebrooks. Deltha O'Neil. Marcus Nash. and on and on and on...

Well said, sir:thumbs:

CEH
12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
EFX really needs to see how Tebow plays in the Super Bowl before committing to him long term :~ohyah!:

Broncbow
12-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Your a pile of trash dude. I wish you fools would go back to the swamp. The Broncos fandom just feels dirty with you people around.

You know what I love about Elway how he and Tim Tebow are great friends. How Elway has taken him under his wings to teach him everything he knows, to stand side by side with him on the sideline, encouraging him when the team is down with reassuring tone of confidence. He comes down to the sideline at the end of games, giving him a pat on the shoulders, goes over to look at the film with him to give him some seasoned advice, slaps him on the ass and sends him out on the field with a mile high salute. Its nothing like that is it, what a load of crap. Guy does not even want him on the team.

Elway needs to get on board now, his ambiguitous nature is not very becoming. He is still not buying in. how stupid can the guy get? Elway is a pile of trash. "Future is now" not a decade ago. Elway may have looked like a QB then but this is how he and the rest of the goons who refuse to get on board with Tebow look like now.

http://crazyfunnypics.com/gifs_Ace_Ventura_dancing.gif

mwill07
12-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Oof.

gunns
12-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Couldn't agree more. Many have compared him to Millen. Stupid. The glaring difference is the love Elway has for the Broncos. I have never for one minute thought he has done anything without the success of the Broncos utmost in his mind. This really has turned into a magical season and once again Elway is at the helm.