PDA

View Full Version : Bad Officiating Thread? Bad Officiating Thread.

Drek
12-04-2011, 03:27 PM
A few of the horrible calls I can think of off the top of my head:

Turf monster = Vikings 12th man and can cause fumbles.

Ponder calling second consecutive timeout =/= play clock violation. Instead give him 10 seconds extra and wait for them to line back up before you start counting THAT down.

Ponder can't intentionally ground if he isn't "under pressure" despite throwing a football from the pocket to the back corner of the end zone with no one on either team within an acre of where he put it. And no, that apparently wasn't Jason Hunter about two steps away from sacking Ponder, you just imagined that.

Clady's open hand against Allen's mask while Allen's fingers are wrapped up in Clady's = Hands to the face on Clady.

Only one holding call for Doom. If Doom was a minor Loadholt would have more instances of abuse than Sanduski.

Post your "refs ate some *****!" moments here.

Rohirrim
12-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Facemask on the kick return.

Agamemnon
12-04-2011, 03:29 PM
The way refs refuse to call holding on linemen blocking Dumervil continues to baffle my mind...

SonOfLe-loLang
12-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Yeah, i dont usually complain about refs calls, but today was bad. And do we just not know the rule on fumbles? How did the ground not cause tim's fumble?

Ratboy
12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
You pretty much nailed them.

Bronx33
12-04-2011, 03:33 PM
It was yet another poor day from the officials i am just glad we over came it and won the damn game i would like to see mike pereira answer some more questions like he does with tripplet officiated games.

mwill07
12-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Harvin tossing harris to the ground on one of his TD catches? Goodman getting the PI when his dude literally tried to run through him?

IDK, today seemed like the most lopsided referee jobs I've seen in a while.

Williams
12-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Clady's open hand against Allen's mask while Allen's fingers are wrapped up in Clady's = Hands to the face on Clady.

This one really killed me... maybe the worst of the bunch. The fact that it was called on a beautiful 3rd & long conversion and they called the defender later in the game in a very similar scenario. Only Denver was on D that time. Go figure.

Swedish Extrovert
12-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Harvin tossing harris to the ground on one of his TD catches? Goodman getting the PI when his dude literally tried to run through him?

IDK, today seemed like the most lopsided referee jobs I've seen in a while.

That was the one that killed me... instead of a penalty, they get a TD.

DrFate
12-04-2011, 03:43 PM
This one really killed me... maybe the worst of the bunch. The fact that it was called on a beautiful 3rd & long conversion and they called the defender later in the game in a very similar scenario. Only Denver was on D that time. Go figure.

Friend of mine said Allen's helmet came off on the previous play and he talked to the ref. So when there was anything close to an illegal move from Clady - here came the flag.

Williams
12-04-2011, 03:45 PM
A few of the horrible calls I can think of off the top of my head:

Turf monster = Vikings 12th man and can cause fumbles.

Ponder calling second consecutive timeout =/= play clock violation. Instead give him 10 seconds extra and wait for them to line back up before you start counting THAT down.

Ponder can't intentionally ground if he isn't "under pressure" despite throwing a football from the pocket to the back corner of the end zone with no one on either team within an acre of where he put it. And no, that apparently wasn't Jason Hunter about two steps away from sacking Ponder, you just imagined that.

Only one holding call for Doom. If Doom was a minor Loadholt would have more instances of abuse than Sanduski.

Post your "refs ate some *****!" moments here.

Harvin blatantly shoving his defender & knocking him down on one of his TD receptions was another big one. Even Billick was like Wtf?

Dagmar
12-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I am STUNNED by the consecutive TO call on Ponder, it was utter bull****.

Williams
12-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Whoops... already mentioned. Disregard.

lolcopter
12-04-2011, 03:46 PM
there was some bad officiating today

oubronco
12-04-2011, 03:47 PM
The non holding call on McBean and when Harvin threw Harris to the ground

Come on man

Bronx33
12-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Friend of mine said Allen's helmet came off on the previous play and he talked to the ref. So when there was anything close to an illegal move from Clady - here came the flag.

Officials should be wise enough to ignore pleas for penalties.

Wes Mantooth
12-04-2011, 03:57 PM
DT had a facemask on him on his second TD. Right after Royal.

Drek
12-04-2011, 03:59 PM
I am STUNNED by the consecutive TO call on Ponder, it was utter bull****.

Yeah, that was absurd. "Sorry, you can't have a TO. Tell you what though, go line up and we'll give you a free 10 seconds!"

On the Vikings last TD anyone else notice when they spotted the ball from the defensive "hands to the face" penalty they called on the interior of the line that they initially walked it out as a 15 yarder and put the ball on the 10? Damn near went live with that too until at the last second they fixed it as Broncos players were screaming at 'em.

Almost turned a 5 yard ticky tack penalty into a 15 yarder that put them in the red zone.

I generally assume NFL refs suck at their job because the league is taking away the strict definitions and telling them to make judgement calls on a sport that moves far too fast for them to keep up with every second of every play. But today wasn't just bad officiating, it was stupidly lopsided.

Smilin Assassin
12-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Of the bunch, I felt the "Unintentional Grounding" was the worst.

There was a DE about a foot behind him.

Turd_Ferguson
12-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Dear NFL,

Hire full time Refs you A holes. The Reffing is terrible. Even when they had the chance to review the Tebow fumble that still ****ed it up.

Signed
Every NFL fan Everywhere

PS fine refs when they totally **** up calls.

OBF1
12-04-2011, 04:08 PM
We watched the game at out hotel and kept seeing the same BS call after call.... Glad we are not alone seeing this.

gyldenlove
12-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Offensive PI on Harvin on the first TD, he runs head first into Harris, bowls him over deliberately to run free.

strafen
12-04-2011, 04:17 PM
There were some blatantly bad calls made

Popps
12-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I swear I try to refrain from being the stereotypical "refs are against us" fan. I'm not even saying that's the case. I'm just saying that these past two weeks... we've beaten 4 opponents.

****ing redecules.

i4jelway7
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
refs deserve a F for this game.. trying to home cook the Tebow

WolfpackGuy
12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Downfield "pick" on Bailey led to one Harvin TD.

Where was the call on facemask on Crosby's long return?

I don't know how they overturned that one Thomas catch from the view angle they kept showing?

I thought the punt that landed on the 1 inch line was a closer call than the Tebow "fumble".

Swedish Extrovert
12-04-2011, 04:24 PM
There were some blatantly bad calls made

Really? Which ones?

OrangeSe7en
12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
I agree with most of what's been said in this thread but there's another glaring one. The fact that it isn't getting much discussion just goes to show how bad some of the calls were today. I'm referring to the toedrag on the DT's catch early in the game. It was called a catch on the field and, sorry, but there was no conclusive evidence that he didn't get the second foot in. At best, it looked like his toe was probably (or might have been) out...but that's not "conclusive". There were no camera angles to conclusively show that he was out of bounds.

The more I think about it, the more I'm amazed that we won. So much happened where it looked like it was Minnesota's game.

Bronx33
12-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Really? Which ones?

Are you really asking him to list them? look at the OP.

Vine
12-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Also, don't forget the safety on Denver's first offensive play. It looked like McGahee might have got that ball out of the endzone.

Vine
12-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I agree with most of what's been said in this thread but there's another glaring one. The fact that it isn't getting much discussion just goes to show how bad some of the calls were today. I'm referring to the toedrag on the DT's catch early in the game. It was called a catch on the field and, sorry, but there was no conclusive evidence that he didn't get the second foot in. At best, it looked like his toe was probably (or might have been) out...but that's not "conclusive". There were no camera angles to conclusively show that he was out of bounds.

The more I think about it, the more I'm amazed that we won. So much happened where it looked like it was Minnesota's game.

I 100% thought this as well. They never showed a camera angle to conclusively show that Thomas' second foot was on the line.

oubronco
12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Also, don't forget the safety on Denver's first offensive play. It looked like McGahee might have got that ball out of the endzone.

That was a good call the entire ball did not get across the line

DHallblows
12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
That was a good call the entire ball did not get across the line

Yeah that call was the least of my worries

razorwire77
12-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I didn't think the officials were that bad in the first half. McGahee's carry was ruled a safety on the field, which I think was the right call. I think it was Fells, who completely whiffed on the block. I thought DT's foot was pretty clearly on the line and there wasn't enough evidence on the field to overrule the Tebow fumble. It appeared that he lost the ball simultaneously as his knee touched.

The second half was rancid though. Harvin got away with a lot of pushing, the Crosby face mask and the illegal hands to the face penalty that wiped out the first down were all terrible.

Vine
12-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I didn't think the officials were that bad in the first half. McGahee's carry was ruled a safety on the field, which I think was the right call. I think it was Fells, who completely whiffed on the block. I thought DT's foot was pretty clearly on the line and there wasn't enough evidence on the field to overrule the Tebow fumble. It appeared that he lost the ball simultaneously as his knee touched.

The second half was rancid though. Harvin got away with a lot of pushing, the Crosby face mask and the illegal hands to the face penalty that wiped out the first down were all terrible.

They never showed any camera angle to show that there wasn't any green between Thomas' toes and the sideline.

Archer81
12-04-2011, 05:22 PM
They never showed any camera angle to show that there wasn't any green between Thomas' toes and the sideline.

Probably because there wasnt.

:Broncos:

Archer81
12-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Its not just Denver games. Some calls you see and its like...really? There is no consistency in calls from game to game or from crew to crew. It really says something when going into any game the biggest factor in determining a winner is not the teams playing but what crew they pull to officiate.

:Broncos:

snowspot66
12-04-2011, 05:36 PM

They ruled the throw to Thomas as a catch and Tebow's fumble as down by contact. You're right that there wasn't enough evidence to over turn the call. But they did.

canadianbroncosfan
12-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I typically never complain about officiating because we have to remember at time that it's human nature to miss things from time to time. Today was however that exception. The illegal hands to the face on Clady when Allen did the exact same thing is garbage. No way he saw Clady and not Allen. The two consecutive time outs is another, like WTF? It's not like he would have even had to think about that being a penalty. And the bull **** conference on the "intentional grounding". 5 idiots having a discussion weren't able to figure that out? Very, very, very poorly officiated. I am shocked that we were able to come out with the win and incredibly happy. I really do think the FO should file a complaint with the league and have them held accountable for their ****ty actions.

iforgotmypassword
12-04-2011, 06:03 PM
The worse by far was the Tebow fumble, just a complete fail at knowledge of the rules by the officials.

Br0nc0Buster
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Officiating was beyond awful

I had the volume muted and could not hear what was said about picking up the intentional grounding flag, but I have no idea why they did that

and the "illegal use of hands" call on Clady while Allen is pushing Clady's helmet off was an absolute joke

back to back weeks of terrible officiating

TheChamp24
12-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Good lord bad calls all over.
I chuckled on the hands to the face when both Clady and Allen had their hands in each other's faces.
Then the Vikings trying to call back to back timeouts, and the officials saying "its okay you didn't know the rule, here's an extra 10 seconds so you don't have to take a penalty."
The complete push off by Harvin on his 2nd TD that Billick even questioned.
Facemask on one of Crosby's returns.

sinuous sausage
12-04-2011, 06:34 PM
yeah. I'm honestly baffled by the Tebow fumble: the only justification for that call would be the little-known "ground-can't-cause-fumble-for-the-QB" clause. That paired with the back-to-back TO kerfuffle honestly made me accepting of a loss if it came to that: no one can beat inane and incompetent reffing.

Jekyll15Hyde
12-04-2011, 06:50 PM
yeah. I'm honestly baffled by the Tebow fumble: the only justification for that call would be the little-known "ground-can't-cause-fumble-for-the-QB" clause. That paired with the back-to-back TO kerfuffle honestly made me accepting of a loss if it came to that: no one can beat inane and incompetent reffing.

No such thing anymore. Once upon a time that was a rule. It was an unfortunate situation where the video was so marginal you had to go with the call on the field. And that was a fumble. It wasnt overturned. It was booth reviewed for being under 2 min. Had it not been called a fumble, the booth wouldnt have overturned it.

There were many other missed called though.

bronco militia
12-04-2011, 06:56 PM

yeah, WTF....to add, I thought the two calls the vikes had to challenge were easy calls the refs missed

TotallyScrewed
12-04-2011, 07:06 PM
For me, the placement of the ball was very one-sided. And I can't name the guilty player but a Viking was blocking a defender on bubble screen to Harvin, before Harvin caught the ball.

It would be interesting to see how this officiating crew grades out on this game.

That One Guy
12-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Two timeouts back to back is an unsportsman like conduct penalty. Happens all the time at the end of games. To not know that call is silly.

I mentioned it in the gameday thread but just the other day a QB was going to clock the ball but then was going to do a fake and play instead. His receiver didn't play along so the guy pumped then threw it at the ground. He got called for grounding despite his RB being a valid receiver clearly within 5 yards. There was clearly no pressure there. The rules are, again, applied different depending on the crew.

The fumble call was valid. Any player stupid enough to try to brace his fall with the ball deserves to lose it.

The DT throw overturned was valid. His toe was on the line. I didn't notice the issue with either of the hands to the face calls but I believe those who noticed them.

This thread is about 50% valid complaints and 50% crying.

NUB
12-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Ticky tacky BS calls aside, I was mostly irritated by Minny running picks and knocking defensive backs over and not a single ref seemed able to see that happening.

KipCorrington25
12-04-2011, 07:31 PM
The 2 time outs in a row thing happened in the Washington game and they called delay of game on them, not sure why Minnesota wasn't penalized???

That One Guy
12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
The 2 time outs in a row thing happened in the Washington game and they called delay of game on them, not sure why Minnesota wasn't penalized???

Hmm.. I coulda swore it was Unsportsmanlike Conduct but maybe it's delay of game. I know it's a commonly called scenario. To not know that rule is inexcusable.

sinuous sausage
12-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Two timeouts back to back is an unsportsman like conduct penalty. Happens all the time at the end of games. To not know that call is silly.

I mentioned it in the gameday thread but just the other day a QB was going to clock the ball but then was going to do a fake and play instead. His receiver didn't play along so the guy pumped then threw it at the ground. He got called for grounding despite his RB being a valid receiver clearly within 5 yards. There was clearly no pressure there. The rules are, again, applied different depending on the crew.

The fumble call was valid. Any player stupid enough to try to brace his fall with the ball deserves to lose it.

The DT throw overturned was valid. His toe was on the line. I didn't notice the issue with either of the hands to the face calls but I believe those who noticed them.

This thread is about 50% valid complaints and 50% crying.

stupid or not, I didn't think the ground could cause a fumble: once Allen shoestringed him and the ball hit the turf with him in possession of it, shouldn't the play be dead?

That One Guy
12-04-2011, 07:49 PM
stupid or not, I didn't think the ground could cause a fumble: once Allen shoestringed him and the ball hit the turf with him in possession of it, shouldn't the play be dead?

Ground is inconsequential these days. It all comes to when you're down. If the ball comes out before something hits to denote you "down", it's a fumble. End of story.

There used to be an adage to the "ground can't cause a fumble" effect but now they can actually pinpoint when a ball comes out. If you're hit, fall to the ground, and the ball comes out then it's not a fumble because you hit down as the ball came out usually. Tebow extended the ball to brace himself and tried to stay up so it was no more down than if he used his hand to keep himself standing.

gyldenlove
12-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Ground is inconsequential these days. It all comes to when you're down. If the ball comes out before something hits to denote you "down", you're down. End of story.

There used to be an adage to that effect but now they can actually pinpoint when a ball comes out. If you're hit, fall to the ground, and the ball comes out then it's not a fumble because you hit down as the ball came out usually. Tebow extended the ball to brace himself and try to stay up so it was no more down than if he used his hand to keep himself standing.

The rule comes to some extend from college ball where you are down by contact as soon as any part of your body other than hands of feet touch the ground, so when you hit the ground you are down before the ground can jolt the ball free.

In the NFL the ground could always force a fumble, really just comes down to wether or not you are down by contact and Tebow wasn't although it was close.

gyldenlove
12-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Downfield "pick" on Bailey led to one Harvin TD.

Where was the call on facemask on Crosby's long return?

I don't know how they overturned that one Thomas catch from the view angle they kept showing?

I thought the punt that landed on the 1 inch line was a closer call than the Tebow "fumble".

The pick on Bailey on the 2nd TD was a solid block, Harvin had the ball at the time so it was a perfectly legal and nicely thrown shoulder block.

There was a bit of hands to the face on the Crosby return, not enough for a personal foul but the guy definitely got his hands on the mask.

I saw 2 angles of the Thomas catch and it was clear from both of them that his shoe touched the line - that was a good overturn in my book, in fact all 3 reviews came up correct, the fumble was a fumble. I didn't see the ball touch the goal line in any shot even the one from the sideline by the goal line showed it staying in the green and I checked the guy who downed it didn't go into the end zone.

That One Guy
12-04-2011, 07:59 PM
The rule comes to some extend from college ball where you are down by contact as soon as any part of your body other than hands of feet touch the ground, so when you hit the ground you are down before the ground can jolt the ball free.

In the NFL the ground could always force a fumble, really just comes down to wether or not you are down by contact and Tebow wasn't although it was close.

Tebow was very close. I remember the rule really being prominently discussed in the late 90s before review came to be. It was common because the ball carrier usually got the benefit of the doubt, probably.

Either way, you are correct. I think it's mostly a simple rule folks can follow easier than the technical rules.

Vine
12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
The pick on Bailey on the 2nd TD was a solid block, Harvin had the ball at the time so it was a perfectly legal and nicely thrown shoulder block.

There was a bit of hands to the face on the Crosby return, not enough for a personal foul but the guy definitely got his hands on the mask.

I saw 2 angles of the Thomas catch and it was clear from both of them that his shoe touched the line - that was a good overturn in my book, in fact all 3 reviews came up correct, the fumble was a fumble. I didn't see the ball touch the goal line in any shot even the one from the sideline by the goal line showed it staying in the green and I checked the guy who downed it didn't go into the end zone.

Fair enough about the reviews. Still, the refs were utter crap the rest of the game.

maher_tyler
12-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Dear NFL,

Hire full time Refs you A holes. The Reffing is terrible. Even when they had the chance to review the Tebow fumble that still ****ed it up.

Signed
Every NFL fan Everywhere

PS fine refs when they totally **** up calls.

This!

maher_tyler
12-04-2011, 08:18 PM

That was a safety. The entire ball has to get out of the end zone..if Clady or whoever was over there gets even a hand on Allen, there is no safety.