PDA

View Full Version : The Denver Broncos, your #1 rushing team in the NFL

Inkana7
11-28-2011, 12:23 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Awesome. If there's one area where Tebow has had an unquestioned, quantifiable impact it's the rushing game. It feels good to dominate the line of scrimmage again for the first time since 2005.

KO5K
11-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Hell yeah!

Wasn't so long ago I was laughing about Fox's comments on having the #1 sophisticated running game in the NFL. Way to go!

TheReverend
11-28-2011, 12:30 PM
With 5 games to go it's not without reason to crack 3k (especially with the Chiefs left on the schedule :) )

Agamemnon
11-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Hell yeah!

Wasn't so long ago I was laughing about Fox's comments on having the #1 sophisticated running game in the NFL. Way to go!

I still find it pretty funny. Running option plays and having a dominant scrambler at QB doesn't make the run game particularly sophisticated.

cutthemdown
11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
I still can't figure out why people say the offense can't work if you can be number 1 running the ball. When teams like the Packers are number 1 throwing it but still have a crappy run game they never say well you can't win like that.

Truth is balance is always best but if you can be number 1 in any stat that isn't fumbles, giving up tds, losing etc you are doing something really well.

RhymesayersDU
11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Sophisticate deez nuts!

Agamemnon
11-28-2011, 12:32 PM
With 5 games to go it's not without reason to crack 3k (especially with the Chiefs left on the schedule :) )

We'd need need to average close to 250 yards per game from here on out to pull that off...

Agamemnon
11-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I still can't figure out why people say the offense can't work if you can be number 1 running the ball. When teams like the Packers are number 1 throwing it but still have a crappy run game they never say well you can't win like that.

Truth is balance is always best but if you can be number 1 in any stat that isn't fumbles, giving up tds, losing etc you are doing something really well.

We'd still have the best running game in the league without running on 3rd and long all the time. That part of this offense isn't working at all. I'll say that much.

SureShot
11-28-2011, 12:34 PM
We'd need need to average close to 250 yards per game from here on out to pull that off...

And?

cutthemdown
11-28-2011, 12:35 PM
I still find it pretty funny. Running option plays and having a dominant scrambler at QB doesn't make the run game particularly sophisticated.

I disagree. In the NFL sophisticated means theories that take a lot of thought presnap, and while play is in progress, to make adjustments.

Peyton Manning having to call out routes and blocking assingments at the LOS was super complex. People said he would never win because a coach needs to be doing all that. Probably a coach that said that while he won a Superbowl.

Tebow has to read the defensive end? then decide to keep, give, or even pitch sometimes. The RBS are also reading cues to know what to do. I guess they change which foot to run towards? as in the defender doing this you run towards the right foot of the guard and other crazy stuff? its all about reducing the angles the defenders have? I don't really get it yet, and half the time i don't know who has the ball.

Not saying it's sophisticated only because I don't understand it yet, just saying there is a lot going on.

hookemhess
11-28-2011, 12:36 PM
and 31st in passing.... ಠ_ಠ

cutthemdown
11-28-2011, 12:38 PM
We'd still have the best running game in the league without running on 3rd and long all the time. That part of this offense isn't working at all. I'll say that much.

It is working, let me try and give you my opinion on that. What those runs that go no where accomplish is keeping the defense honest. They are afraid to bail on the middle to attack Tebow on the edges because we do run up the gut so many times. Even if we fail 3 times in a row.

How many first down dive plays did we run? You would think defense would be ready for it, nope, McGahee ripped one right up the gut to put us in field goal range to win the game.

So my response is all the running plays are working. They all fit together and the end result seems to be some big runs at the end of the games. I think Broncos are wearing defenses out having to play the run 50 times a game.

The NFL has gotten soft and the Broncos are proving it.

BroncoDoug
11-28-2011, 12:39 PM

which is weird because that puts us at 25th in total offence... I would think it would average out a little higher then that, but hey when you don't gain a lot through the air...

TheReverend
11-28-2011, 12:42 PM

Average: 208 with no Jets D left on the schedule.

Average since zone read: 219 also with no Jets D left on the schedule.

Like I said, the possibility isn't outside of reason.

Drunk Monkey
11-28-2011, 12:44 PM

As long as you have a dominant D it can work. If you don't and get behind early you are screwed. As long as the D keeps stepping up this can work. The Patriots game will be interesting. If anyone will force us out of this conservative approach it will be them.

cutthemdown
11-28-2011, 12:48 PM

Notice how a team can be great passing, ****ty running, and people don't care. But flip that around and the NFL and the fans are like CRAPPOLLA. They want to see a long drawn out game with tons of passing. Lots of room for commercials.

Think about it what do you do in Broncos game where they possess the ball, and take their time every drive. Hard to show commercials when teams run the ball, the clock always running.

Maybe I am crazy but if I ran the NFL, and i was in charge of commercials, i would say to myself the longer the games, the more clock stoppages, the more commercials i can fit in, the more money we make.

It seems pretty simple.

It's why the NFL cares so much about a qb getting hurt but could care less about anyone of the defense.

Thats why they still let WR crack back on defenseless players like Carter got yesterday.

cutthemdown
11-28-2011, 12:49 PM
I'd like someone to ask the comish what have you done to protect defenseless defensive players from low blocks, crack back blocks. The answer would be nothing if he is honest.

Agamemnon
11-28-2011, 12:49 PM
I disagree. In the NFL sophisticated means theories that take a lot of thought presnap, and while play is in progress, to make adjustments.

Peyton Manning having to call out routes and blocking assingments at the LOS was super complex. People said he would never win because a coach needs to be doing all that. Probably a coach that said that while he won a Superbowl.

Tebow has to read the defensive end? then decide to keep, give, or even pitch sometimes. The RBS are also reading cues to know what to do. I guess they change which foot to run towards? as in the defender doing this you run towards the right foot of the guard and other crazy stuff? its all about reducing the angles the defenders have? I don't really get it yet, and half the time i don't know who has the ball.

Not saying it's sophisticated only because I don't understand it yet, just saying there is a lot going on.

It's the read option. It's predicated on misdirection. That doesn't make it sophisticated. If it was truly sophisticated do you think they could just implement it in the middle of the season? It's actually one of the simplest types of option runs.

cutthemdown
11-28-2011, 12:50 PM
As long as you have a dominant D it can work. If you don't and get behind early you are screwed. As long as the D keeps stepping up this can work. The Patriots game will be interesting. If anyone will force us out of this conservative approach it will be them.

Also I think it's overlooked by some, not all of us, but some, that you have to have a great kicker, punter, returner and good coverage.

Broncos cant afford to give up a defensive td or a punt return.

cutthemdown
11-28-2011, 12:52 PM

It's getting cold, weather rolling in, it's prime time for a running team to catch passing teams on cold windy days Rev.

A lot of fans seemed to have jumped of the Bronco bandwagon recently as the team struggled. I don't get that because if i stopped caring about Broncos, I stop caring about football and never watch again. They are the only reason for me, I love my Broncos!

I think the bandwagon from the superbowl now light enough for us to get moving again with real Bronco fans.

It's not about whether we say the team stinks, or are negative, it's about undying loyalty to one team. Us true fans are going to be rewarded once again.

dictionary
11-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Awesome! The reddit scowl.

Agamemnon
11-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Don't the Bears have a good run D though?

cutthemdown
11-28-2011, 12:56 PM
It's the read option. It's predicated on misdirection. That doesn't make it sophisticated. If it was truly sophisticated do you think they could just implement it in the middle of the season? It's actually one of the simplest types of option runs.

Not sure what sophisticated means when talking football then. You hand ball off, your lineman knock the other guy in the mouth, and rb plows into a whole with reckless abandon for his health.

What is sophisticated about that?

As far as implementing in the season it would not work with any other team. It's Tebows vast experience running it that makes it work. Try getting Brady to run this running game and he might say it's too sophisticated for him lol. Likewise Tebows head would be spinning trying to look at 4-5 options every passing down.

Without Tebows mastery of it, i doubt it would look so simple. Newton run the read option well also and they scored with it in the redzone.

OrangeSe7en
which is weird because that puts us at 25th in total offence... I would think it would average out a little higher then that, but hey when you don't gain a lot through the air...

Yeah, but thats skewed because there are fewer possessions in our games because Denver is running more clock. It's also not a coincidence that we're allowing fewer points on defense.

cutthemdown

Yep, going to be a huge test for Tebow to take on Briggs and Urlacher. No doubt about that.

OrangeSe7en
11-28-2011, 12:58 PM

The Jets did a good job against the run but it should also be pointed out that McGahee was obviously bothered by his hamstring. And yes, I know this wasnt your main point.

cutthemdown
They rate offenses by yardage. Passing teams get more yrds and will always be ranked higher. Really though when Pitt went to Superbowl Roth rookie yr and won in low scoring, run heavy offenses their fans enjoyed it just as much as GB fans last yr.

Broncos don't score a lot, don't rack up 400 yrds a game, so won't be ranked highly.

It's ok the defense will thrive and probably rank really well if they keep it up.

bronco militia
Yeah, but thats skewed because there are fewer possessions in our games because Denver is running more clock. It's also not a coincidence that we're allowing fewer points on defense.

what about that part of converting only 30% of 3rd downs? it's probably not as much as you think

vonqkilla
11-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Math is cool.

With a qb running threat, now its 7 vs 7 instead of 7 vs 6 in a traditional zone read play vs sloth handing off to moreno out of the shotgun...lol

Inkana7
11-28-2011, 01:03 PM
They rate offenses by yardage. Passing teams get more yrds and will always be ranked higher. Really though when Pitt went to Superbowl Roth rookie yr and won in low scoring, run heavy offenses their fans enjoyed it just as much as GB fans last yr.

Broncos don't score a lot, don't rack up 400 yrds a game, so won't be ranked highly.

It's ok the defense will thrive and probably rank really well if they keep it up.

Pittsburgh went to the AFC Championship game Roethlisberger's rookie year, not the Super Bowl. But yes. They won that year the same way we are.

fontaine
11-28-2011, 01:04 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Awesome. If there's one area where Tebow has had an unquestioned, quantifiable impact it's the rushing game. It feels good to dominate the line of scrimmage again for the first time since 2005.

http://www.deviantart.com/download/193028736/horse_on_fire_by_ravr-d36x9xc.png

;D

Agamemnon
11-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Not sure what sophisticated means when talking football then. You hand ball off, your lineman knock the other guy in the mouth, and rb plows into a whole with reckless abandon for his health.

What is sophisticated about that?

As far as implementing in the season it would not work with any other team. It's Tebows vast experience running it that makes it work. Try getting Brady to run this running game and he might say it's too sophisticated for him lol. Likewise Tebows head would be spinning trying to look at 4-5 options every passing down.

Without Tebows mastery of it, i doubt it would look so simple. Newton run the read option well also and they scored with it in the redzone.

That's the funny thing about the whole, "most sophisticated run game" spiel. Run games just aren't that sophisticated outside of stuff like the triple option. And nothing the Broncos have done this year has really screamed "sophisticated" to me. Personally I don't care, but Fox's claim still amuses me.

broncosteven
11-28-2011, 01:16 PM

They will be tougher but they also have Haine back there which means more 3 and outs for them and more drives for us.

Agamemnon
11-28-2011, 01:24 PM
They will be tougher but they also have Haine back there which means more 3 and outs for them and more drives for us.

If they are just a bunch of run, run, run, punt possessions can they really be called drives?

OrangeSe7en
11-28-2011, 01:26 PM
what about that part of converting only 30% of 3rd downs? it's probably not as much as you think

I don't know what to think because I don't know what you're getting at. If you're condemning our low 3rd conversion %, it's worth pointing out we've run a number of times when it was 3rd and 8 so to avoid big mistakes. We've deferred to our punter and defense. It's all part of how we've been winning.

I'd like to see them throw a little more but, there's also something to be said for being a purist and staying true to what you are. For years you've heard coaches talk about the importance of not turning the ball over, stopping the run, etc...many of these old axioms have been distilled into our offense in one of the most intense forms ever seen.

One of the things that I like most about our offense is that we're doing it in a different way. We're not trying to out-GreenBay Green Bay and we're not trying to out-New England New England in a league where so many teams try to win the exact same way. Back in the 90s, Dallas was winning SBs with a superior running game that featured a great RB and massive offensive linemen knocking guys off the ball. Then here comes Denver and their undersized offensive linemen introducing the zone blocking system to go along with a great RB of their own. The net result of our revolution in blocking was a running game that was actually superior to the one Dallas had. We took a chance on a new idea and were rewarded for not trying to do the same thing everyone else was doing.

I kind of see this in a similar way. I cringe when people tell me we should do what someone else is doing because it's working for someone else. I'd rather that we're the innovators and that others are the one who respond to what we're doing.

OrangeSe7en
11-28-2011, 01:27 PM

I didn't think Hanie looked that bad. People are foolish assuming that we'll win just because he's playing QB.

Shotgun Willie
11-28-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't know what to think because I don't know what you're getting at. If you're condemning our low 3rd conversion %, it's worth pointing out we've run a number of times when it was 3rd and 8 so to avoid big mistakes. We've deferred to our punter and defense. It's all part of how we've been winning.

He brought that up to debunk your prior statement that there are fewer opponent possessions in our games because we run the ball and the clock down so much. In reality we don't. Opponents are running just as many plays against us now as they were when Orton was QB. We're really not chewing as much clock as you'd think, due to the number of 3 and outs we now have. That's his point.

Bronx33
11-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Most susfrizticated running game eva

Drunk Monkey
11-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Fox strategaried the hell out of that run game.

bronco militia
11-28-2011, 02:07 PM

my point is that the offense isn't helping out the defense as much as every one thinks. props to the defense for carrying the load until the two minute warnings.

now start throwing the ball more, for ****s sakes!

OrangeSe7en
11-28-2011, 02:09 PM
He brought that up to debunk your prior statement that there are fewer opponent possessions in our games because we run the ball and the clock down so much. In reality we don't. Opponents are running just as many plays against us now as they were when Orton was QB. We're really not chewing as much clock as you'd think, due to the number of 3 and outs we now have. That's his point.

Do you actually have data? Because we had a lot of 3 and outs when Orton was the starting QB too.

OrangeSe7en
11-28-2011, 02:11 PM
my point is that the offense isn't helping out the defense as much as every one thinks. props to the defense for carrying the load until the two minute warnings.

now start throwing the ball more, for ****s sakes!

If you can run the ball 40 or 50 times in a game, you're obviously possessing the ball enough to run a lot of clock. Sorry, there's just no getting around it.

Armchair Bronco
11-28-2011, 02:19 PM
If you're looking for a "smoking gun" stat, that would have to be first downs by rushing. Teams that rush for a lot of first downs will win lots of games, it's as simple as that.

And since Tebow became our starter, most of our first downs come from the run.

Teams that pass for most of their first downs are either: A) behind, so they're winging the ball on every down desperately trying to catch up; or B) unbalanced.

Shotgun Willie
11-28-2011, 02:23 PM
If you can run the ball 40 or 50 times in a game, you're obviously possessing the ball enough to run a lot of clock. Sorry, there's just no getting around it.

Running the ball out of bounds stops the clock all the same.

Shotgun Willie
11-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Do you actually have data? Because we had a lot of 3 and outs when Orton was the starting QB too.

I looked at it last week. There's no easy link for me to give you. Just look at offensive plays run by the opposition at nfl.com game centers. The last two years, our defense has been on the field an average of 65-66 plays regardless of our QB. There was literally less than a one play per game difference between the two.

Smilin Assassin
11-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Love it.

Insane when you consider the offense McDaniels had here when Fox arrived.

Just, insane.

Crushaholic
11-28-2011, 02:35 PM

We have two tough run defenses with which to deal. The Bears are #8 against the run, but the Vikings (next opponent) are #9 against the run.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&season=2011&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Agamemnon
11-28-2011, 02:37 PM
We have two tough run defenses in which to deal. The Bears are #8 against the run, but the Vikings (next opponent) is #9 against the run.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&season=2011&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

The obvious answer to this would be to start opening it up a bit, but I'm pretty sure Fox and McCoy will just keep chugging along...

WoodMan
11-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Says something for the O-line. Alot of attempts on the ground give a big edge in TOP, so the defense is off the field alot. I thinks opposing defenses are built to stop the passing game these days and it is tough for them to man up and stop the run with little chance of adding to their sack stats or interception totals. It is exhausting to stop the run all day long. Running games and defense win championships. Ask TD and Atwater.

Mile High Mojoe
11-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Thanks in part to Tebow's 367.

broncocalijohn
11-28-2011, 03:14 PM
So I guess "breaking off 2k in this system" is kind of average for us now. I will be the first to say,

"Tebow and crew can break off 3k in this system !"