PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't this in the playbook?

Vine
11-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Now here is a good play to run from under center...

Tebow takes the snap and acts as if he is going to hand the ball off up the middle, defense caves into the middle, cause the Broncos ALWAYS hand the ball off up the middle, but instead of handing it off, Tebow keeps and BOOTLEG'S out wide, preferably to his left. This can be done with a TE dragging across the middle about 12 yards down field. Or Decker going deep on a sideline post. But most of all, Tebow will likely have a wide open field ahead of him to tuck the ball in and take off if he so chooses.

It boggles my mind that Denver has not ran this play not even once since Tebow took over as qb in the last 6 1/2 games.

Agamemnon
11-27-2011, 07:18 PM
So your question is why don't we have naked bootlegs in our playbook?

Because our offensive coaching staff is brain dead. Pretty simple.

Bronx33
11-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Any play book over 6 pages is dangerous.

Ronnie Tsunami
11-27-2011, 07:22 PM
It wouldn't work. There's always supposed to be a contain guy. Assuming KC's OLB's are doing their job correctly, a man would be there.
edit: contain guy would need to pick up the TE in a zone... so it could work in a zone.

Agamemnon
11-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Here's another question. Why don't we implement a passing element into Tebow's option read plays. Same answer I gave before...

Vine
11-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Here's another question. Why don't we implement a passing element into Tebow's option read plays. Same answer I gave before...

Yes. They do this and Denver will go from scoring 13 points a game with Tebow to 31 points per game.

Broncoman13

Tebow takes the snap and acts as if he is going to hand the ball off up the middle, defense caves into the middle, cause the Broncos ALWAYS hand the ball off up the middle, but instead of handing it off, Tebow keeps and BOOTLEG'S out wide, preferably to his left. This can be done with a TE dragging across the middle about 12 yards down field. Or Decker going deep on a sideline post. But most of all, Tebow will likely have a wide open field ahead of him to tuck the ball in and take off if he so chooses.

It boggles my mind that Denver has not ran this play not even once since Tebow took over as qb in the last 6 1/2 games.

Sorry bud, they have run it... a few times. Seems to me that the TD vs the Jets was that exact play, complete with two receivers running clearing routes.

The problem today was the discipline the Chargers DEs and OLBs played with. They played the hit'em all game and were able to effectively cover all aspects of the option and they did it quite effectively. Once Tebow really started running it opened up the middle a bit more. players start to cheat to where the runs have been coming, that is a by-product of the zone read/option offense.

Agamemnon
It wouldn't work. There's always supposed to be a contain guy. Assuming KC's OLB's are doing their job correctly, a man would be there.
edit: contain guy would need to pick up the TE in a zone... so it could work in a zone.

A contain guy doesn't prevent Tebow from hitting a receiver that is left open due to the rest of the defense playing run. And honestly that is what you could say about Tebow running the option as well. Hasn't seemed to help that much...

cabronco
I kept thinking they were setting up just to do that. There was so much open field if he fakes it up the middle turn around and bootleg it around the end...but they did not. Sometimes I think playcalling is stuck on dumb. We went to that same well, over & over where Bronx 33 has dubbed it his favorite play. ;D

Kaylore
11-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Vine, please do another list.

Vine
11-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Sorry bud, they have run it... a few times. Seems to me that the TD vs the Jets was that exact play, complete with two receivers running clearing routes.

The problem today was the discipline the Chargers DEs and OLBs played with. They played the hit'em all game and were able to effectively cover all aspects of the option and they did it quite effectively. Once Tebow really started running it opened up the middle a bit more. players start to cheat to where the runs have been coming, that is a by-product of the zone read/option offense.

Don't remember them running this ever. I say that they go all out into showing the defense a run to the right, with the whole O'line cheating right, and Tebow taking two steps to the right as he fakes the handoff, then, even IF the defense does have a defender attempting to contain Tebow, wouldn't you like Tebow's chances in the open field against one defender?

Vine
11-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Vine, please do another list.

Nice intelligent reply to the topic at hand...

Agamemnon
11-27-2011, 07:28 PM

It's also the product of not properly implementing the pass into their gameplan. If defenders have to account for the option and the pass it becomes nearly impossible. They refuse to do that. They prefer to only throw with Tebow in clear passing situations. For reasons I can't begin to comprehend.

CEH
11-27-2011, 07:33 PM
A naked bootleg requires the Dends to crash down on the fake run play. The DEs are not crashing down as teams will now give up the dive play. I bet if they tried to run it Tebow would find a DE waiting for him and impede him or his passing lane requiring Tebow to slide backwards to avoid the DE and at that point he would just be throwing it up off his back foot. If you watch the old Shanny boots, he always had 3 crossing routes. One short, one intermediate and one deep route to the same side of the field

extralife
11-27-2011, 07:38 PM
to do a boot you have to take snaps from under center. we don't do that. problem solved

Steve Prefontaine
11-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Nice intelligent reply to the topic at hand...

But seriously though. Please, start another thread comparing Tebow to...anything.

Kaylore
11-27-2011, 07:40 PM
It's also the product of not properly implementing the pass into their gameplan. If defenders have to account for the option and the pass it becomes nearly impossible. They refuse to do that. They prefer to only throw with Tebow in clear passing situations. For reasons I can't begin to comprehend.

I can. He obviously hasn't mastered what little they give him. On passing situations he's a deer in headlight's. Throwing in a tripple run/pass option is probably too much for him.

Agamemnon
to do a boot you have to take snaps from under center. we don't do that. problem solved

We actually do. You should pay more attention.

Vine
A naked bootleg requires the Dends to crash down on the fake run play. The DEs are not crashing down as teams will now give up the dive play. I bet if they tried to run it Tebow would find a DE waiting for him and impede him or his passing lane requiring Tebow to slide backwards to avoid the DE and at that point he would just be throwing it up off his back foot. If you watch the old Shanny boots, he always had 3 crossing routes. One short, one intermediate and one deep route to the same side of the field

If they sell of this play as a run to the center-right side, the right DE is supposed to go toward the middle. I do agree that he could be a problem if he isn't fooled by the fake run, but I would take my chances.

At least once or twice a game.

Vine
11-27-2011, 07:41 PM

Do you watch football?

Vine
11-27-2011, 07:41 PM
But seriously though. Please, start another thread comparing Tebow to...anything.

You are a tool.

extralife
11-27-2011, 07:42 PM
nah, I'm in it for the commercials

Dedhed
DERP!

broncosteven
I can. He obviously hasn't mastered what little they give him. On passing situations he's a deer in headlight's. Throwing in a tripple run/pass option is probably too much for him.

I think it would would be progress if he started finding Willis wide open in the middle of the field doing jumping jacks but I will take the wins.

Vine
11-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I think it would would be progress if he started finding Willis wide open in the middle of the field doing jumping jacks but I will take the wins.

I think throwing strikes to your receivers all over the field and two crucial drops by your receivers on 3rd downs is making progress, wouldn't you think?

maher_tyler
11-27-2011, 07:45 PM

That's why you do it on first down. We rarely pass on first down and when we do, it hasn't been a PA pass. There really isn't much creativity going on with this offense. They figure we keep winning games doing it the way they have, why change it approach. As long as we keep the game to a 7-10 point game, it's obvious they have no plans changing what they're doing.

broncosteven
11-27-2011, 07:47 PM
I think throwing strikes to your receivers all over the field and two crucial drops by your receivers on 3rd downs is making progress, wouldn't you think?

Then what is the point of starting a thread about installing a play-action boot?

Kaylore
11-27-2011, 07:56 PM

Your eyes are deceiving you! Just like the tree that makes no sound when it falls in the forest with no one to hear, if Tebow doesn't see him open, he wasn't there. The coaching staff sucks!

/Agamemnon/Vine

Agamemnon
11-27-2011, 07:59 PM

He's a deer head lights now? Oh brother...

Agamemnon
11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Your eyes are deceiving you! Just like the tree that makes no sound when it falls in the forest with no one to hear, if Tebow doesn't see him open, he wasn't there. The coaching staff sucks!

/Agamemnon/Vine

I'm not saying he was or wasn't open. I'm saying that receivers waving their hands does not mean they are open. Receivers often think they are open when the QB knows better.

Kaylore
11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm not saying he was or wasn't open. I'm saying that receivers waving their hands does not mean they are open. Receivers often think they are open when the QB knows better.

Watch it again. He had a passing lane and was indeed open. Tebow has the arm strength to get it to him.

Look, Tebow is playing great. He's a better passer every game. Why don't you just admit he sucks at passing right now, but is a better "QB" and will get better in that area with a full offseason to work on it? You don't need to make crap up about how all his problems are purely the result of a coaching staff/front office/bad receivers. There are issues we need to address, I do think we could use another receiver but you can still like Tebow and accept he has major issues. In my opinion, minimizing those qualities minimizes the epicness (my word) of what he's doing.

Atwater His Ass
11-27-2011, 08:08 PM

This is also one of my main frustrations. I understand they are protecting Tebow and I get that. I'm still having patience with it as they are bringing Tebow along and really, he is improving every game.

As much as I'd like to see Tebow throwing more in favorable conditions, I'll continue to let this go until the coaches truly have an off-season to work with Tebow and actually develop him, instead of running the fire drill week to week preparing for each game.

No excuse the lack of bootlegs though. It could be such a huge weapon for us.

broncosteven
11-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Watch it again. He had a passing lane and was indeed open. Tebow has the arm strength to get it to him.

Look, Tebow is playing great. He's a better passer every game. Why don't you just admit he sucks at passing right now, but is a better "QB" and will get better in that area with a full offseason to work on it? You don't need to make crap up about how all his problems are purely the result of a coaching staff/front office/bad receivers. There are issues we need to address, I do think we could use another receiver but you can still like Tebow and accept he has major issues. In my opinion, minimizing those qualities minimizes the epicness (my word) of what he's doing.

I bet even Jesus stubbed his toe.

Bronx33
11-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I bet even Jesus stubbed his toe.

Talk like that will get you smited!

Agamemnon
11-27-2011, 08:12 PM

I don't have tape of the play. I believe you though. It's still generally risky to throw over the middle late though, and right now I think it's becoming clear that Tebow is very careful with the ball. Anyway, my point was more that receivers waving at their QB doesn't necessarily mean anything. I wasn't specifically referring to that play.

Atwater His Ass
11-27-2011, 08:15 PM
The reason I try not to harp on this too much, is that although frustrating to me as a fan, you can easily tell that after Tebow gets through his first/second read and it's not there, he doesn't know what to do. So in reality how can you expect a more intrique passing gameplan when the QB is still so raw that you can't yet make all the reads in real time?

This is why I'm hoping a regualr off-season will help him so much.

USMCBladerunner
11-27-2011, 08:38 PM

Really? You are so in the tank for Tebow that you can't even acknowledge a Matt Willis so open he was sending smoke signals? That receivers often think they are open isn't the point of that discussion.

Matt Willis was absurdly open and Tebow missed him at a crucial moment. Not the end of the world, but it is reality.

If you can't acknowledge reality, no one will want to play with you...oh wait...

Inkana7
11-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Hire this man

broncosteven
11-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Talk like that will get you smited!

I have already been smote but I will gird up my loins and move on.

GreatBronco16
11-27-2011, 09:07 PM

Sucks at passing? Not exactly the word I would use. He threw some good passes today, and had the guys not dropped 3 of them that hit them in the hands, his completion % looks a lot better for you guys.

Vine
11-27-2011, 09:12 PM

Because he doesn't suck at passing right now. I can't believe that people are still buying into this **** myth!

BroncoMan4ever
11-27-2011, 09:48 PM
this team needs the old Plummer playbook for Tebow. i wish Kubes would get fired in Houston so that Elway could get rid of McCoy and install Kubes as our OC/QB Guru. dude would add some horsepower to this offense and turn Tebow into a top 10 QB.

Popps
11-27-2011, 09:55 PM

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/4/28/youwillburnfo128539018993125000.jpg

vonqkilla
11-27-2011, 09:58 PM

We ran it, the oline almost pancaked the entire front seven, teebs got 14, backtracked, got 12. It was out of the gun though.