PDA

View Full Version : Why We Will go RB Early

Ronnie Tsunami
11-23-2011, 04:45 AM
And why Chris Polk should be our guy if he declares and falls to round 2. Watch his highlights starting at 3:00. They are not the product of an o-line, they are self made.

http://www.nwsportsbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Chris-Polk-UW-vs.-Arizona.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEafHF0IwqU

I'll admit, Trent Richardson is a hell of a back who packs more of a punch. This guy, however, has a lot of lateral quickness (in the mold of a Matt Forte), and can make defenders miss as they hone in on him.

Richardson will likely be gone by the time we pick, keep in mind that is why I revert to the next guy.

Polk is very good in space. He almost always makes the right decison, and has great balance, unlike another player we recently drafted (who was supposedly great in space).

He does not have "breakaway speed" going by the definition of the word. But if you give him open space, essentially any defender who can't run a 4.3 won't catch him, or they will have to at the very least dive at his feet from behind. You won't be catching up to him, like with Knowshon or perhaps McGahee.

What I like about this guy's highlights is that they aren't a product of his offensive line. You don't see him burst through any holes and run down the field untouched. That's the product of a great o-line. Almost all of his plays were self created. He just makes guys miss, or runs them over. That's the sign of a back that can do well in any system.

He played with Price in his last year at Washington, and Locker the year before. What this means is that he has PLENTY of experience with the read option, which we probably will run a bit next year. Not only is he quite good at it, but many of his best runs came out of the read.

Added bonus: Willis McGahee has crossed the dreaded 30 year old line for a runningback. Whether or not you agree with me that he only has a few years left, you have to agree with this: Fox loves having a 2nd RB worked in. The only reason it wasn't being done more is because after Slowshon went down, our reserves just weren't that great.

Polk is somewhere in between Deshaun Foster/DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart. All backs that Fox picked up on the first day of the NFL Draft. So if you think defense is a more pressing need, consider Fox's priorities.

LEafHF0IwqU will someone freaking embed this?

Armchair Bronco
11-23-2011, 04:47 AM
Chris Polk is awesome. I get to see him each week here in Seattle. Too bad he's on a permanently rebuilding team.

ol#7
11-23-2011, 04:49 AM
I agree that we need another back, but round 1 or 2 would be too early. Too many other areas of immense need and I think we can do just as well in FA or a later round flyer.

Ronnie Tsunami
11-23-2011, 04:49 AM
Too bad he's on a permanently rebuilding team.

That's what makes him all the more impressive, IMO.

Ronnie Tsunami
11-23-2011, 04:54 AM
I agree that we need another back, but round 1 or 2 would be too early. Too many other areas of immense need and I think we can do just as well in FA or a later round flyer.

I disagree and think we need to go BPA. Having that said, how do you expect this team to continue their offensive strategy if all we have next year is a 31 year old back? Do you think we can afford to run the ball 60% of the time with just Willis "I've played 3 complete seasons in my entire career" McGahee?

We need a second back. It's time to dump this notion that we are going to solve all of our problems with a single draft. We need to go BPA (Polk) and just get a guy that we know will be a great one, especially since hey, RB will be an immense need the year after!

We have the 17th ranked D in the NFL, the only ones going anyhwhere are Champ and Dawkins.

The champ thing can be addressed in the first round or FA, as can our LB situation. What you can't find in FA often, is a young, very talented running back.

Armchair Bronco
11-23-2011, 04:59 AM
I disagree and think we need to go BPA. Having that said, how do you expect this team to continue their offensive strategy if all we have next year is a 31 year old back? Do you think we can afford to run the ball 60% of the time with just Willis "I've played 3 complete seasons in my entire career" McGahee?

We need a second back. It's time to dump this notion that we are going to solve all of our problems with a single draft. We need to go BPA (Polk) and just get a guy that we know will be a great one, especially since hey, RB will be an immense need the year after!

Yep, we need to start stockpiling RB's if we stick with Tebow. But the secondary is also getting old. That's a priority too.

Ronnie Tsunami
11-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Yep, we need to start stockpiling RB's if we stick with Tebow. But the secondary is also getting old. That's a priority too.

Rahim Moore. Quinton Carter. Safety is set for another year or two.

CB= Sydquan. We need someone else, maybe a second guy, but we can address that in round 1 or in FA.

barryr
11-23-2011, 05:09 AM
If a really good RB is there when the Broncos pick in the 1st round, I think they would have to seriously consider him. Granted good RB's can many times be had later, but they do need to go BPA when they pick.

In fact, I really think trading down a couple times is the path to go. They need RB and another WR since I don't see Royal coming back, and likely will draft a QB at some point in the draft too. On defense, more DL, LB, and CB help and trading down could net some very solid prospects in most of those positions. I think drafting 2 CB's is a need since Champ is older and I am not sold the CB's currently on the team are going to be starting types long term and you can never have too many DL. Plus, possible 2 RB's could be taken in the draft at some point as well since that position is not solid right now either.

ColoradoDarin
11-23-2011, 06:09 AM
I could see this. I originally thought we'd go with Trent Richardson, but we've won our way our of the top 10 draft slot that he will go. We definitely need another RB, Knowshon can't be counted on to stay healthy and McGahee has been dinged in addition to being old. We need to draft a RB next year and probably another one probably in a later round in 2013.

cmhargrove
11-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Um....

If we stick with Tebow and want to re-create the explosive Gators offense, you need explosive players. Also, maybe pick a kid who has tons of experience with Read Option and all of its intricacies (including a pretty advanced passing game). I present to you, our second round running back... (we need a CB or DT in the first round).

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iud42Q7Qf1g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iud42Q7Qf1g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

maher_tyler
11-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Rahim Moore. Quinton Carter. Safety is set for another year or two.

CB= Sydquan. We need someone else, maybe a second guy, but we can address that in round 1 or in FA.

Harris has looked pretty good. I agree, take BPA!

maher_tyler
11-23-2011, 06:24 AM
Um....

If we stick with Tebow and want to re-create the explosive Gators offense, you need explosive players. Also, maybe pick a kid who has tons of experience with Read Option and all of its intricacies (including a pretty advanced passing game). I present to you, our second round running back... (we need a CB or DT in the first round).

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iud42Q7Qf1g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iud42Q7Qf1g?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

He'll prolly have the same type of career as Sproles. James is pretty small at 5'9 185 lbs.

peacepipe
11-23-2011, 06:31 AM
considering EFXs lack of confidence in tebow,it will be a QB that they draft in the 1st. IMO they have no real interest in running this offense any further than this season.

Kaylore
11-23-2011, 06:32 AM
I am confused by the thread. We are going to go RB early and then select Chris Polk? He is not an early round running back.

Ronnie Tsunami
11-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Um....

John Fox does not draft running backs who will have a hard time running through the tackles, at least from what history has proven.

spdirty
11-23-2011, 07:15 AM
We have Jeremiah Johnson. As soon as EFX gives him a legit shot he will erase any thoughts of drafting a running back high. All he needs is a shot. Because he is awesome.

elsid13
11-23-2011, 07:25 AM
I am confused by the thread. We are going to go RB early and then select Chris Polk? He is not an early round running back.

He mostly likely will be early second rounder. The only RB going in the first is Richardson.

WolfpackGuy
11-23-2011, 07:28 AM
So what positions are considered deep in the 2012 draft?

I can't see them taking a RB high with needs at DT, CB, TE, and maybe QB depending on what impression Tebow leaves on Elway.

Kaylore
11-23-2011, 07:31 AM
He mostly likely will be early second rounder. The only RB going in the first is Richardson.

I think it depends on his 40 time. He looks 4.6-ish to me which is definitely not high second round.

elsid13
11-23-2011, 07:38 AM
I think it depends on his 40 time. He looks 4.6-ish to me which is definitely not high second round.

He remind me a lot Miami's Daniel Thomas, who was high second rounder with 4.6 forty. I think Polk is better cutter then Thomas but they are comparable players. If Shanahan was still here I wouldn't go with him, but they zone system we are running now he is decent fit.

DENVERDUI55
11-23-2011, 07:44 AM
All I know we need to do is cut SLOWSHON.

Shotgun Willie
11-23-2011, 07:46 AM
All I know we need to do is cut SLOWSHON.

Depends on who else we can sign. The guy's only making just above league minimum money next year, and you can't underestimate how important that is to Bowlen. :contract:

Agamemnon
11-23-2011, 08:38 AM

With how heavily Fox and Co. rely on the run, they pretty much have to draft a back in the first two rounds next draft. The days of Shanny making do with scraps are long over...

BroncoMan4ever
11-23-2011, 10:28 AM

i think too many are worried about when we will take a back. look at FOx's record. First rounder in Williams a couple seasons later another first rounder on Stewart. in his offense that lives and dies on the run, it makes perfect sense to take the best available backs.

DBroncos4life
11-23-2011, 10:36 AM
We have Jeremiah Johnson. As soon as EFX gives him a legit shot he will erase any thoughts of drafting a running back high. All he needs is a shot. Because he is awesome.

He sucks lol

Carmelo15
11-23-2011, 11:34 AM
The best RB from this draft class will be Lamar Miller
http://eyeofthehurricane.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/lamar-miller-beast.jpg

CEH
11-23-2011, 11:40 AM
http://eyeofthehurricane.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/lamar-miller-beast.jpg

Might be I was just thinking of Miller today I would take him in the 2nd. Clinton Portis type ability

Ronnie Tsunami
11-23-2011, 01:13 PM

I disagree. Trent Richardson will be far and away a better running back. Richardson may not have the 5th gear that Miller has, and he may not be your stereotypical home run threat, but he does EVERYTHING else better. He can stop on a dime better, IMO, which is remarkable considering his extra weight He is a much better blocker. He is better receiving out of the backfield. He is better between the tackles. He is better in short yardage.

I do not like the Clinton Portis comparison. Both went to Miami, have similar builds, and are fast. After that, the comparisons end. Portis never relied that much on his speed. He was 10 times the pass blocker coming out of college.

Prospect wise, he is more of a Tatum Bell. Bell could outrace Portis, but he was a terrible blocker.
Miller and Bell share these traits:
They hit wide open holes and then, more often than not, go down on first contact against strong competition. Against weaker teams, Miller will break poor arm tackles and then go down.

He, like Bell, doesn't create much for himself. He will have a few highlight reel cutbacks here and there, but doesn't have "it" as a runner. He doesn't have a sixth sense of where to go next.

One thing I am not sold on is that Miller is this great blend of power and speed. Despite his weight, the dude just simply isn't a power back. He plays like he is 10 pounds lighter than he really is. (Like Tatum Bell) Doesn't use his 212 pounds as much as he should.

I know there are people who have a huge affinity for guys who can run 4.35's. And I know there's this affinity for guys like that who carry a bit of weight. That's really easy to get caught up in. When you look at the film, he isn't the same back as Chris Polk of Washington.

Also, Miller doesn't fit our current system as much as Chris Polk. He has little to no experience with the read option, and hey, he can't catch out of the backfield like Polk can. Once again though, I'm sure y'all want him really badly so you can use him in Madden. But I'm telling you, he's not going to be as good as Polk. Or Richardson. Or Cyrus Gray, if you want a speed guy. Or Robert Turbin. Or Vick Ballard.

Give me any of those guys any day over Lamar Miller. All will have better careers in the NFL. Especially Turbin with his late round value, and the fact that he plays much faster than he will clock in.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/news.hjnews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/78/878a674c-cddf-11e0-8e55-001cc4c002e0/4e543780448b0.preview-300.jpg

SimonFletcher73
11-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Any of these guys going to help us beat San Diego?

Ronnie Tsunami
11-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Any of these guys going to help us beat San Diego?

By that logic, our scouts shouldn't start scouting college talent until the season is over. But to answer your question, yes, one of these guys might help us beat them next year. It is never too early to start talking about the draft and how to improve this team.

broncocalijohn
11-23-2011, 01:46 PM
All goes to show how we ( I mean McD) screwed up a 1st rounder in Moreno when we could have had a 3 year starter somewhere on defense. You get excited by a skill guy but also realize our rebuilding of the defense still needs to be a priority. We won't know how FA will go next season but I think first two picks should be defense unless a stud QB is there for us and F.O. wants another young QB in camp. (Oh ****, did I just downplay Tebow?)

Doggcow
11-23-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm a WSU Cougar fan, and I think Polk would be AWESOME in the 2nd round.

Dude is a complete back, and a beast.

Ronnie Tsunami
11-23-2011, 01:59 PM
All goes to show how we ( I mean McD) screwed up a 1st rounder in Moreno when we could have had a 3 year starter somewhere on defense. You get excited by a skill guy but also realize our rebuilding of the defense still needs to be a priority. We won't know how FA will go next season but I think first two picks should be defense unless a stud QB is there for us and F.O. wants another young QB in camp. (Oh ****, did I just downplay Tebow?)

I just don't think it's fair to use that Moreno example. McDaniels probably would have drafted... I dunno... Larry English. Even Orakpo, best case.. McD woulda found a way to mess that up and he'd still be out of a job. And then Rak would be out of position in this new 4-3. He just... He woulda found a way to mess it up. And you never know, we could be saying "Man, we coulda have had a 3 year starter somewhere on offense."

I don't think there's an area of our team that can't do without talent and youth outside of maybe Safety and Tackle. BPA or bust, IMO.

I just don't see why defense is this huge priority. Sure, we need to improve. But it's not god-awful like it was a year ago at this time. Thomas and company have really shored up that DT spot. We have a 30 year old RB, a need for interior depth on the o-line, and with Royal likely gone in FA, we could certainly use another WR.

OrangeSe7en
11-23-2011, 02:09 PM

Not if Lamar Miller enters the draft.

OrangeSe7en
11-23-2011, 02:12 PM
I disagree. Trent Richardson will be far and away a better running back. Richardson may not have the 5th gear that Miller has, and he may not be your stereotypical home run threat, but he does EVERYTHING else better. He can stop on a dime better, IMO, which is remarkable considering his extra weight He is a much better blocker. He is better receiving out of the backfield. He is better between the tackles. He is better in short yardage.

I do not like the Clinton Portis comparison. Both went to Miami, have similar builds, and are fast. After that, the comparisons end. Portis never relied that much on his speed. He was 10 times the pass blocker coming out of college.

Prospect wise, he is more of a Tatum Bell. Bell could outrace Portis, but he was a terrible blocker.
Miller and Bell share these traits:
They hit wide open holes and then, more often than not, go down on first contact against strong competition. Against weaker teams, Miller will break poor arm tackles and then go down.

He, like Bell, doesn't create much for himself. He will have a few highlight reel cutbacks here and there, but doesn't have "it" as a runner. He doesn't have a sixth sense of where to go next.

One thing I am not sold on is that Miller is this great blend of power and speed. Despite his weight, the dude just simply isn't a power back. He plays like he is 10 pounds lighter than he really is. (Like Tatum Bell) Doesn't use his 212 pounds as much as he should.

I know there are people who have a huge affinity for guys who can run 4.35's. And I know there's this affinity for guys like that who carry a bit of weight. That's really easy to get caught up in. When you look at the film, he isn't the same back as Chris Polk of Washington.

Also, Miller doesn't fit our current system as much as Chris Polk. He has little to no experience with the read option, and hey, he can't catch out of the backfield like Polk can. Once again though, I'm sure y'all want him really badly so you can use him in Madden. But I'm telling you, he's not going to be as good as Polk. Or Richardson. Or Cyrus Gray, if you want a speed guy. Or Robert Turbin. Or Vick Ballard.

Give me any of those guys any day over Lamar Miller. All will have better careers in the NFL. Especially Turbin with his late round value, and the fact that he plays much faster than he will clock in.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/news.hjnews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/78/878a674c-cddf-11e0-8e55-001cc4c002e0/4e543780448b0.preview-300.jpg

Actually, Richardson has ran the 100 m. in around 10.3 (but to me he seems more like a 10.4/5 guy) and the 40 in 4.3s.

I've seen him run against Demps in HS at a time when Demps was running in the 10.1s and he was only a few yards behind Demps.

BroncoBeavis
11-23-2011, 02:14 PM

I was all hyped up to see him on Thursday, then that play didn't go very well. Oh well, hard to expect much from a kid who just walked onto the field this week.

I think it's crazy to use a 1st on an RB this year. Look at most of the top rushers in the league. More 2nd rounders than 1st.

OrangeSe7en
11-23-2011, 02:15 PM
I was all hyped up to see him on Thursday, then that play didn't go very well. Oh well, hard to expect much from a kid who just walked onto the field this week.

I think it's crazy to use a 1st on an RB this year. Look at most of the top rushers in the league. More 2nd rounders than 1st.

Look at our offense and how much we run...and also at the fact that McGahee is 30 years old and will be taking a lot of wear and tear this year.

Smilin Assassin
11-23-2011, 02:17 PM
We just need someone to hold the position for 4 more years, and then....

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xu9Q04L4a7k?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xu9Q04L4a7k?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

BroncoBeavis
11-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Look at our offense and how much we run...and also at the fact that McGahee is 30 years old and will be taking a lot of wear and tear this year.

Not saying we don't need some young legs at RB. I've just never seen much evidence that (as far as RB's go) 1st round talent is necessarily much better than 2nd round.

primetime714
11-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Richardson is the only RB I'd draft early. He's the only back with elite potential in this draft. Some of the faster guys might be worth the risk since you won't find RB's with that type of speed on day 2, but a guy like Polk who is a nice RB is not worth an early round pick. You can find a similar back late in the draft. Draft a RB early only if he has a standout skill that could make him one of the better backs in the league. Otherwise you can do more by picking up a few guys later in the draft or in UDFA and find guys that work well in the system and provide nice depth.

Ronnie Tsunami
11-23-2011, 02:37 PM
You can find a similar back late in the draft. Otherwise you can do more by picking up a few guys later in the draft or in UDFA and find guys that work well in the system and provide nice depth.
The numbers say otherwise:
15 of the top 20 rushers in the NFL were selected before the 3rd round.

17 of the top 20 were drafted before the 4th.

Having that said, I politely challenge you to show me one back with as many positives, as complete a back as Polk past a projected round 3.

Also, consider this:

We don't need depth. We need a running back to replace Willis "Played in 3 complete seasons in my career" McGahee.

Draft a RB early only if he has a standout skill that could make him one of the better backs in the league.

Polk has a combination of attributes that will make him one of the better backs in the NFL. Here is a Rob Rang scouting report. Running a 4.39 40 or weighing in at 230 is not a pre-requisite for success in the NFL. Polk is a STRONG runner though at 220, so there you have his standout trait.

Inside: Strong interior runner. Quickly presses the line of scrimmage and has the burst to get through the line of scrimmage and into the second level quickly. A classic North/South runner who doesn?t waste time moving laterally. Good vision to set up cutback lanes once into the open field. Doesn?t possess eye-popping breakaway speed, but is fast enough to gain yardage in chunks when he finds a seam. Fights for extra yardage and is a reliable short yardage runner. Good forward lean. Keeps his legs churning on contact. Protects the ball with both hands.

Outside: Not truly explosive, but possesses enough speed to beat the linebacker to the edge. Looks to get upfield. Won?t rely on his speed to run around defenders. Looks for the hole and can stick his foot in the ground and cut upfield quickly. Does not possess top breakaway speed, though hes rarely caught from behind.

Breaking tackles: Unquestionably his best attribute. Very physical runner who keeps his legs churning on contact. Rarely goes down with the first hit. Lowers his shoulder into defenders and shows a variety of natural running skills to break free, including a stiff-arm, spin move and pure determination. Runs low to the ground and with good forward lean to generate the tough yards. Keeps his arms wrapped securely around the ball.