PDA

View Full Version : OrangeMane Podcast - Episode 13 - vs. NY Jets

Taco John
11-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Download Episode 13 - Week 11 vs. NY Jets (http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/6z4d9qcz12/111122_orangemanepodcast_13.mp3)
(right click - save as)

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/6z4d9qcz12/111122_orangemanepodcast_13.mp3

KevinJames
11-22-2011, 11:25 PM
you guys just made my night :D

TDmvp
11-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Yea I've been going through PC withdraw...

TheReverend
11-22-2011, 11:29 PM
I have regrets about this one:

1. I wanted to RANT about the option after SoCal went into depth explaining it and what we're doing. I wanted to expand on that by dispelling the misnomer of this being a dumbed down offense and people referring to it as a college offense and 1930s etc, but in reality how difficult it is to run and execute as a QB with so many split reads after the snap. Much difficult than a standard passing progression.

2. I also wanted to answer the 3rd down play calling question from the podcast questions thread since it was a good one. We had only TWO 3rd downs less than 3rd and 5 in the Jets game (both 3-2) and one of them was bumped to a 3-7 thanks to a Decker false start. That's the primary contributor to poor 3rd down conversion rate. We averaged 3-8 on 3rd down which is unacceptable. Out of those, most were STILL called run plays or short screen/flat passes. That's not an opportunity to succeed on a consistent basis. Used sparingly, those are extremely valuable 3rd down plays, but absolutely not with regularity when consistently placing yourself in 3rd and long situations. That just won't cut it.

We had TOO much to get to and frankly just not enough time, but was a great time having a full house tonight for the first time ever for sure!

TheReverend
11-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Bottom line, imo, is that some people take the time to listen to something we genuinely have fun doing (evidenced by Khan being distraught over your comp reboot temporarily ending our BS convo) and also took the time to pose some legitimate questions so I feel I did a poor job not ensuring the legitimate and better ones were answered in the show.

Yes, we had a ton to discuss and little time, but that was my failure and I'll do my best to make sure it gets addressed ON THE SHOW in the future when I'm on if I have to interrupt conversation and stall Chris and TJ from Dancing with the Stars after hours or not :)

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
11-23-2011, 12:57 AM
thank you

Archer81
11-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Listening now.

I do have to say that none of you guys sound like you sound in my head. Which, oddly enough sounds like members of the A team.

:Broncos:

Bronco Yoda
11-23-2011, 03:04 AM
Great show everyone.

That's really concerning that agents are already calling the FO and backing us away from their (WR's?). Can't stop thinking on that one... :(

DrFate
11-23-2011, 05:40 AM
2. I also wanted to answer the 3rd down play calling question from the podcast questions thread since it was a good one. We had only TWO 3rd downs less than 3rd and 5 in the Jets game (both 3-2) and one of them was bumped to a 3-7 thanks to a Decker false start. That's the primary contributor to poor 3rd down conversion rate. We averaged 3-8 on 3rd down which is unacceptable. Out of those, most were STILL called run plays or short screen/flat passes. That's not an opportunity to succeed on a consistent basis.

This and this and this and this

jsco70
11-23-2011, 06:12 AM
2. I also wanted to answer the 3rd down play calling question from the podcast questions thread since it was a good one. We had only TWO 3rd downs less than 3rd and 5 in the Jets game (both 3-2) and one of them was bumped to a 3-7 thanks to a Decker false start. That's the primary contributor to poor 3rd down conversion rate. We averaged 3-8 on 3rd down which is unacceptable. Out of those, most were STILL called run plays or short screen/flat passes. That's not an opportunity to succeed on a consistent basis. Used sparingly, those are extremely valuable 3rd down plays, but absolutely not with regularity when consistently placing yourself in 3rd and long situations. That just won't cut it.

My question is why they don't simply QB sneak on the short yardage third downs? There were at least a couple that I recall in the Jets game.

Tebow has fullback size and a knack to find seams. I can't understand why they would bother handing the ball of to Lance Ball? That alone would have led to at least two or three additional conversions.

Powderaddict
11-23-2011, 08:10 AM
LOL @ "The Neckbeard" :D

Listening right now to the problems with the entire passing game, great points.

broncogary
11-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Listening now.

I do have to say that none of you guys sound like you sound in my head. Which, oddly enough sounds like members of the A team.

:Broncos:

You're right. They do sound a lot smarter than I thought they were. :D

MileHighMagic
11-23-2011, 09:34 AM
This podcast has made my boring work day bearable. Good stuff yet again guys.

Thank you!

DrFate
11-23-2011, 10:38 AM
I wish you guys could get Rev to come out of his shell and really tell us how he feels...

:wiggle:

TheReverend
11-23-2011, 10:57 AM
I wish you guys could get Rev to come out of his shell and really tell us how he feels...

:wiggle:

I get that a lot. I'm far too reserved. :(

DrFate
11-23-2011, 11:05 AM
I get that a lot. I'm far too reserved. :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan :notworthy

When Taco wants to cover for the front office for bungling the QB situation for the first 5 games, you really don't have a choice but to drop the REVHAMMER!

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/medium/DMC10273.jpg

Taco John
11-23-2011, 12:46 PM
I still think the Broncos handled it as well as they could.

TheReverend
11-23-2011, 01:18 PM

Really?

We just waived him to receive no compensation and paid him 7 million dollars of his 9 million contract to lose 4 games out of 5 and ride the bench and cause some locker room division.

Quite frankly I don't think they could have handled it worse.

Powderaddict
11-23-2011, 01:18 PM

I agree, I think getting the vets on board was critical at that point. It would have been best if 8 could have been traded, but that fell through.

I'd also like to say yo the point of the lack of big FA signings, how do we know Denver didn't offer contracts, but with the state of the franchise at that point the free agents didn't want to come here?

Hopefully we can get the QB situation stabilized, once that happens maybe we can become an attractive destination for free agents once again.

Steve Prefontaine
11-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Great episode. It got me through a long afternoon at work.

Good point by Montrose (and maybe Rev?) towards the end talking about 3rd and short play calling. One time I'd like to see a bootleg and get Tebow outside after a fake handoff.

SureShot
11-23-2011, 01:20 PM
First one I have listened to. Not bad for a bunch of mouth breathers.

TonyR
11-23-2011, 01:21 PM
I also wanted to answer the 3rd down play calling question from the podcast questions thread since it was a good one. We had only TWO 3rd downs less than 3rd and 5 in the Jets game (both 3-2) and one of them was bumped to a 3-7 thanks to a Decker false start. That's the primary contributor to poor 3rd down conversion rate. We averaged 3-8 on 3rd down which is unacceptable. Out of those, most were STILL called run plays or short screen/flat passes. That's not an opportunity to succeed on a consistent basis. Used sparingly, those are extremely valuable 3rd down plays, but absolutely not with regularity when consistently placing yourself in 3rd and long situations. That just won't cut it.

Agree Rev. But it bears saying that while blaming 3rd and long for the low 3rd down conversion rate you also have to blame the offense for getting into those situations. So the excuse for the offense on the one hand is really the fault of the offense on the other. Put more simply: the offense needs to do a better job on 1st and 2nd down.

DrFate
11-23-2011, 01:37 PM

I know you do, Taco. And that's cool.

I said it at the time (feel free to verify), I don't think they could have handled it worse. (I'm not even using the hindsight of Orton being cut loose yesterday for zero compensation.)

I was yelling from the rooftops (as was a good section of this board) - Orton wasn't coming back, it made no sense to give him any playing time.

Trade Orton, Cut Orton, Trade Tebow, Cut Tebow - the worst way to mismanage the situation was to keep both, play Orton, and lie to everyone about a supposed QB competition. The had at least FIVE options, and they chose 'Q - the worst option possible'. On that score, the FO gets an F.

Overall, I think the front office gets a higher grade than Rev gave. They took a 4 win team and right now are 5-5. If results are what counts, those are the results.

Great job on the podcast. :egbgb:

Kaylore
11-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Great show everyone.

That's really concerning that agents are already calling the FO and backing us away from their (WR's?). Can't stop thinking on that one... :(

That was a rumor from a station where 3/4ths of the staff hate Tebow. It's completely bogus for several reasons.

1. Seniors <s>don't</s> can't have agents right now per NCAA rules, so who exactly contacted the team? "Hi I may or may not be an agent for a receiver who may be on your board at some time. Please don't draft them because right now your passing games sucks and it might still next year." ::)
2. When has this ever happened? An agent is responsible for getting their player drafted as high as possible regardless of the quality of the passing team they go to. Was Calvin Johnson stoked to catch passes from Dan Orlovsky?

Montrose has fed me a few rumors his station and several stink to high heaven and you have to consider the sources. My favorite was when someone at the Ticket told him Bowlen was going to hire Dennison and bring back Ted Sundquist just for the nostalgia factor. We all know how that turned out.

DrFate
11-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Agree Rev. But it bears saying that while blaming 3rd and long for the low 3rd down conversion rate you also have to blame the offense for getting into those situations. So the excuse for the offense on the one hand is really the fault of the offense on the other. Put more simply: the offense needs to do a better job on 1st and 2nd down.

I didn't think he was trying to defend the offense. I think he was trying to defend Tebow. (which I agree with)

If the offense get into 3rd and 12 and we run a draw - it goes on the Tebow 'scorecard', but it's not really Tebow's 'fault'.

CEH
11-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Woulda coulda shoulda . Not a big fan of reviewing the season after game 11. JMO

TheReverend
11-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Woulda coulda shoulda . Not a big fan of reviewing the season after game 11. JMO

If it makes you feel better most of the podcasts have had the same thing to varying degrees and the stances haven't really budged with hindsight.

TheReverend
11-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Somebody's gotta turn their computer speakers down. The skype drip noise from us chatting like girls is out of control in this one lol.

ScottXray
11-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Enjoyed the cast again this week. thanks for putting this on every ( almost) week guys.

TheReverend
11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GaoLU6zKaws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TonyR
11-23-2011, 02:51 PM
I didn't think he was trying to defend the offense. I think he was trying to defend Tebow. (which I agree with)

If the offense get into 3rd and 12 and we run a draw - it goes on the Tebow 'scorecard', but it's not really Tebow's 'fault'.

Agree. But what I'm saying is that as the leader of that offense Tebow isn't blameless in being in that 3rd and 12 situation to begin with. But as with all such things there are multiple variables.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-23-2011, 05:00 PM
I really enjoy listening to this. I wound up listening to this podcast on the road today instead of Moving the Chains. By choice.

EzBronco715
11-24-2011, 02:43 AM
I don't post too often but had to say, I've listened to all of these and there great
Keep it up fellas

DrFate
11-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Agree. But what I'm saying is that as the leader of that offense Tebow isn't blameless in being in that 3rd and 12 situation to begin with. But as with all such things there are multiple variables.

I try to avoid terms like 'blameless' (because of concepts such as complimentary football). But if it's McGahee up the middle on 1st and 2nd down, how is Tebow to blame for 3rd and 12?

You and I are pretty much agreeing (again) but I feel I've been consistent across threads that the playcalling isn't helping the 3rd down conversion numbers that seems to be the focus.

CEH
11-24-2011, 08:16 AM
I try to avoid terms like 'blameless' (because of concepts such as complimentary football). But if it's McGahee up the middle on 1st and 2nd down, how is Tebow to blame for 3rd and 12?

You and I are pretty much agreeing (again) but I feel I've been consistent across threads that the playcalling isn't helping the 3rd down conversion numbers that seems to be the focus.

This is where I'm at. I wish Elway would just shut the heck up or someone have the stones to counter his "we got to get better on 3rd downs" with you ran the dive play 8 consective drives for zero or one yard. How do you expect a team to convert 3rd downs when it's 2nd and 10 and you yourself said publicly they let Tim loose in the 4th quarter inferring we are playing some sort of stone age offense up until that point

Elway has already backtracked on his Monday comments saying last night the team is "hopeful" Tim is our QBOTF. Dumbass should have said that to begin with. It's not "rocket surgery" especially when you are dealing with the pneonomn known as "Tim Tebow"

broncosteven
11-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Lovin Socal's breakdown of the option among other things!

Great job keep it up boys!

broncosteven
11-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Followed up by an OL breakdown by Kahn, only hearing you guys read the Kranz Dictum next could make this episode better!

Dr. Broncenstein
11-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Whar this week's podcast whar?

TheReverend
11-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Whar this week's podcast whar?

Finishing

Dr. Broncenstein
11-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Finishing

Oh thank god I thought I'd have to listen to my wife talk about tile and granite all night.

TheReverend
11-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Oh thank god I thought I'd have to listen to my wife talk about tile and granite all night.

....Are you saying you ran out of duct tape?

Dr. Broncenstein
11-29-2011, 10:24 PM
....Are you saying you ran out of duct tape?

Lol she knows her way around a scalpel as well, so I can only use that trick once.

broncosteven
11-29-2011, 10:26 PM

That is why I keep a DVD copy of "The Notebook" near by and just tell her I am beat, "why don't we have a drink (winecooler for her and handfull of Goofballs to get Hepped up on for me with Applejuice [I can't drink booze on all these nerve meds/ goofballs]) and go after it again in the am. If you snuggle right you can be asleep soon after hitting play and she will never know.

Good luck with the Tile and Granite stuff, we had to redo the master bath which is tiny but it was the hardest part of the whole thing.! ARggg!

Dr. Broncenstein
11-29-2011, 10:29 PM
That is why I keep a DVD copy of "The Notebook" near by and just tell her I am beat, "why don't we have a drink (winecooler for her and handfull of Goofballs to get Hepped up on for me with Applejuice [I can't drink booze on all these nerve meds/ goofballs]) and go after it again in the am. If you snuggle right you can be asleep soon after hitting play and she will never know.

Good luck with the Tile and Granite stuff, we had to redo the master bath which is tiny but it was the hardest part of the whole thing.! ARggg!

I don't know who Ann Sacks is, but my wife unfortunately does. Who the f--k makes tile out of turquoise?

broncosteven
11-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Finally a week late I am caught up!

Great show to all, wish all of the podsters would post in the thread so I can rep you all!

Keep up the great work boys!