PDA

View Full Version : Public Relations 101 Tips for John Elway

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 09:26 AM
I think it's pretty clear that John Elway needs some remedial PR help when dealing with the media and making public statements.

"Public Relations" is all about spin, tact, and speaking volumes but actually saying nothing.

I'm starting this thread as a public service to our Hall of Fame VP / GM to help him from repeatedly sticking his foot in his mouth.

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Question: "John, is Tebow your quarterback of the future?"

Suggested PR Answer: "You know, since Tebow became our starter, I've had blast watching Bronco games on Sunday. Tim is an exciting player to watch, and I can't wait to see how he does against San Diego."

jhns
11-22-2011, 09:27 AM
He needs to talk to Shanahan and take notes.

go_broncos
11-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Sometimes it is good not to say anything..Elway needs to learn that.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-22-2011, 09:30 AM
When you make Brian Xanders look good in comparison, it's time to change your ways.

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 09:34 AM
He needs to talk to Shanahan and take notes.

I mentioned something similar in another thread. Here was a typical Shannyham exchange. John could learn from this:

Question: "Mike, your team has lost 4 straight and seems to be coming unglued. What are you planning to do?"

PR Answer: "You know, when you play well on offense, defense, and special teams, good things will happen."

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 09:36 AM
From Bull Durham. (By the way, can someone explain how to embed YouTube videos? I've tried all my tricks, but they don't work on this site.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeVca9MwDX8

jhns
11-22-2011, 09:39 AM
From Bull Durham (by the way, can someone explain how to embed YouTube videos? I've tried all my tricks, but they don't work on this site.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeVca9MwDX8

There is an embed button on the youtube page, that comes up after you click share. Just copy and paste what it gives you. You don't need any tags(like the image tag [IMG]).

Dr. Broncenstein
11-22-2011, 09:40 AM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KeVca9MwDX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of my all time favorite scenes. Especially the "I love winning" line....

Here you go, Armchair...

Smiling Assassin27
11-22-2011, 09:42 AM
John, if someone asks if Tebow's a god, you say YES!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E4I4OCgVAv8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DrFate
11-22-2011, 09:43 AM
I have no idea why Elway and Fox can't shut their pie-holes when it comes to this topic.

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 09:44 AM

Here you go, Armchair...

Thanks for the info, guys.

Here's one of my all-time favorite sports sites: Sports Cliche dot com

http://www.sportscliche.com/

Elway (and Fox) need to read through all the cliches on this site, and figure out what they can use during interviews.

BroncoBen
11-22-2011, 10:06 AM
I have no idea why Elway and Fox can't shut their pie-holes when it comes to this topic.

Laughing.. Because their first instinct is to just answer the question and they don't think about being tactful. They don't have a delay so they just talk.. and what comes out.. comes out.

Nothing wrong with that.. just that their words get analyzed so much they pay for it later.

At least they are not backtracking on what they say.

Shotgun Willie
11-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Well, they did very clearly state from day one that one of their goals was transparency. Good or bad, it does appear that that is what we're getting.

bronco militia
11-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Public Relations 101 Tips for John Elway:

leave the fur coat at home

...FYI, BroncoBen has awesome avatar pics

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Elway needs to recognize that when he says this:

"I want to say upfront that Tim Tebow is a football player first."

...we hear this:

"We're planning to convert Tebow into a fullback."

Rabb
11-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I would just like him to use the word "obviously" much less...it annoys the crap out of me, obviously.

bowtown
11-22-2011, 11:01 AM
I like that he is open and honest about the situation.

edog24
11-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Laughing.. Because their first instinct is to just answer the question and they don't think about being tactful. They don't have a delay so they just talk.. and what comes out.. comes out.

Nothing wrong with that.. just that their words get analyzed so much they pay for it later.

At least they are not backtracking on what they say.

Your avatar rocks

ant1999e
11-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Maybe he should take some lessons from Tim Tebow.

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Maybe he should take some lessons from Tim Tebow.

Yeah, Tim sure performed well with Skip Bayless.

Skip was asking tough question, but he wasn't baiting Tebow. He knew full well that Tebow would give thoughtful, considerate and tactful answers; I think Bayless was trying to demonstrate the huge chasm separating a genuine good person like Tebow from a self-serving fake-o-ramma like Elway and Fox.

bowtown
11-22-2011, 11:33 AM

Skip was asking tough question, but he wasn't baiting Tebow. He knew full well that Tebow would give thoughtful, considerate and tactful answers; I think Bayless was trying to demonstrate the huge chasm separating a genuine good person like Tebow from a self-serving fake-o-ramma like Elway and Fox.

http://www.ironontshirt.co.uk/images/DramaQueen.jpg

Rolandftw
11-22-2011, 11:35 AM
I still don't see what was that big of a deal with Elway's comments. He was asked if he was closer to knowing who Denver's starting QB. He's supposed to say what? Be dishonest? Say that Tebow is the unquestioned starter moving forward?

It's not Elway's job to say what fans WANT to hear. It's Elway's job to surround the most talent possible on the Denver Broncos.

ant1999e
11-22-2011, 11:36 AM

I just wish our front office would be half as tactical as Tebow is when answering questions. Don't air your dirty laundry out in public.
I believe the front office Elway will tarnished the image of Elway the football player.

bowtown
11-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I still don't see what was that big of a deal with Elway's comments. He was asked if he was closer to knowing who Denver's starting QB. He's supposed to say what? Be dishonest? Say that Tebow is the unquestioned starter moving forward?

It's not Elway's job to say what fans WANT to hear. It's Elway's job to surround the most talent possible on the Denver Broncos.

"Tim Tebow is the Denver Bronco QB for life. I am publicly announcing right now that I am tying my entire career and the future of this franchise to his big heart and shaky arm. We are already working on a 80 million dollar extension. He's a swell guy."

That would have been a good start.

ant1999e
11-22-2011, 11:41 AM
;)I still don't see what was that big of a deal with Elway's comments. He was asked if he was closer to knowing who Denver's starting QB. He's supposed to say what? Be dishonest? Say that Tebow is the unquestioned starter moving forward?

Elway had been putting his foot in his mouth from day one. These comments are just the latest.
It's not Elway's job to say what the fans want to hear but it is his job to keep the dumb ass comments that may affect the way his players play to a minimum.

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 11:43 AM
I just wish our front office would be half as tactical as Tebow is when answering questions. Don't air your dirty laundry out in public.

I believe the front office Elway will tarnished the image of Elway the football player.

I think the front office Elway has *already* tarnished his image. We have enough fodder to start making accurate predictions about what's likely to happen. I now think there's a good chance Tebow won't be around here in 2012. And this will fall 100% on Elway.

His apparent infatuation with a first round "sure thing" QB is laughable considering that the best quarterback in the post-Elway era is Tom Brady, a 6th round pick and 199th overall.

Vine
11-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Maybe these PR statements are tactics just to keep continuing to fuel Tebow's fire. And maybe they are secretly intrigued by the prospects of going forward with Tebow into the 2012 season.

ant1999e
11-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Maybe these PR statements are tactics just to keep continuing to fuel Tebow's fire. And maybe they are secretly intrigued by the prospects of going forward with Tebow into the 2012 season.

I really hope this is the case. Draft distraction.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-22-2011, 11:54 AM
I like that he is open and honest about the situation.

Which is what he promised when he took over.

He was called a liar this summer for not being honest by the Interwebz GMs because say why he wouldn't spend money or tell everyone why Tim wasn't the starter.

Now he gives an honest opinion about Tim and he needs PR help, he's an idiot, etc.

Gotta love the consistency on this site.

ant1999e
11-22-2011, 12:11 PM

He was called a liar this summer for not being honest by the Interwebz GMs because say why he wouldn't spend money or tell everyone why Tim wasn't the starter.

Now he gives an honest opinion about Tim and he needs PR help, he's an idiot, etc.

There are ways of honestly answering questions without really saying anything.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-22-2011, 12:13 PM
There are ways of honestly answering questions without really saying anything.

And if he didn't say anything of substance, people would still be bitching here.

Let's just be honest, until John acts like the people on the Interwebz do about Tebow, people will not be happy.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-22-2011, 12:16 PM
It's not Elway's job to say what the fans want to hear but it is his job to keep the dumb ass comments that may affect the way his players play to a minimum.

What if Fox were to say he wasn't happy with someone's play? How would that affect someone's feelings?

Oh noes!!!! A professional athlete's self-esteem might be hurt and it could affect his play. They need to grow a thicker skin if that's the case.

jhns
11-22-2011, 12:17 PM
And if he didn't say anything of substance, people would still be b****ing here.

Let's just be honest, until John acts like the people on the Interwebz do about Tebow, people will not be happy.

Whatever you say clown. Go ahead and try to claim he is treating Tebow as well as Orton.

4-1 = you are week to week and need to improve

1-4 = you are the starter and give the team the best chance to win

Yeah, Elway is sure proving to be qualified for his job...

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 12:17 PM
And if he didn't say anything of substance, people would still be b****ing here.

I think it's already too late. John has shown us his hand. Even if he gets all touchy-feely with us, the die is cast and the speculation about Tebow's long-term future with this franchise has already started.

And if Tebow ends up somewhere else, the ironic thing is that Denver will have chewed up and spit out TWO franchise QB's in under 5 years.

Hercules Rockefeller
11-22-2011, 12:21 PM
And if Tebow ends up somewhere else, the ironic thing is that Denver will have chewed up and spit out TWO franchise QB's in under 5 years.

Who is the second franchise QB, because #15 isn't anywhere close to a franchise QB yet.

ant1999e
11-22-2011, 12:21 PM
What if Fox were to say he wasn't happy with someone's play? How would that affect someone's feelings?

Oh noes!!!! A professional athlete's self-esteem might be hurt and it could affect his play. They need to grow a thicker skin if that's the case.

Announcing to the world that you don't have.faith in your starting qb isn't the smartest thing to do.

Garcia Bronco
11-22-2011, 12:26 PM
I think it's pretty clear that John Elway needs some remedial PR help when dealing with the media and making public statements.

"Public Relations" is all about spin, tact, and speaking volumes but actually saying nothing.

I'm starting this thread as a public service to our Hall of Fame VP / GM to help him from repeatedly sticking his foot in his mouth.

No thanks. I would rather deal with an honest person than some kind of ****bag liar.

Garcia Bronco
11-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Announcing to the world that you don't have.faith in your starting qb isn't the smartest thing to do.

debatable.

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Who is the second franchise QB, because #15 isn't anywhere close to a franchise QB yet.

Not yet, but his day will come.

bronco0608
11-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Who the freak cares what elway says about tebow right now. It doesnt matter. Jesus you tebowites are like a cult.

For all the **** you know elway might be saying these things to motivate tebow. That kid seems to thrive off of it.

ant1999e
11-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Who the freak cares what elway says about tebow right now. It doesnt matter. Jesus you tebowites are like a cult.

For all the **** you know elway might be saying these things to motivate tebow. That kid seems to thrive off of it.

Why would you plant a seed of doubt of your starting QB in your organization? It makes no ****ing sense.
And either say freak or say ****. Consistency is the key my friend.

DBroncos4life
11-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Our fans should grow up. Scratch that Tebow fans shouldn't pretend to be Broncos fans.

bronco0608
11-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Why would you plant a seed of doubt of your starting QB in your organization? It makes no ****ing sense.
And either say freak or say ****. Consistency is the key my friend.

Quit transfering your own insecurities to tebow. Ever figure he is not a mental midget like yourself? Everybody has been doubting him since grade school. Maybe that is what motivates him and elway knows it.
Dont cry it will be alright. Tebow is a big boy. He can handle it.

TheReverend
11-22-2011, 01:32 PM

"We've seen a lot of good things out of Tebow and a lot that we want to see improvement on, like all young quarterbacks. We want to see improvement in those areas before we're reading to make a long term commitment, but we look forward to watching and helping him develop as a quarterback."

Was that so ****ing hard?

extralife
11-22-2011, 01:33 PM
why in the world are fans of the broncos actively encouraging the people in our organization to operate under the guise of "spin, tact, and speaking volumes but actually saying nothing"?

all of a sudden I understand why people watch political debates and vote

like, you watch this **** right? and you want to sit there and be like YEAH when someone says something that you outright admit is complete bull****? you seek the bull****? are you broken? who stole your soul?

TheReverend
11-22-2011, 01:36 PM

Okay, Herc, seriously?

You can't see that he was WRONG on both accounts?

How much better would this team be off if they'd started Tebow from camp on and had a few more young play makers on the offense and defense?

Answer: We'd be running away with the division right now.

You justified this away as "we're not contending for anything this year anyway" but guess what... under Tim WE ARE.

You were wrong. Just as the FO was wrong. Man up and accept it finally.

extralife
11-22-2011, 01:38 PM
You idiot, he wasn't commenting on the content of Elway's remarks, but the form. In the offseasn, Elway lies: he should man up and tell the truth. During the season, Elway tells the truth: UR TEARING THIS TEAM APART!! ;_;

one got to go, son

ant1999e
11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Quit transfering your own insecurities to tebow. Ever figure he is not a mental midget like yourself? Everybody has been doubting him since grade school. Maybe that is what motivates him and elway knows it.
Dont cry it will be alright. Tebow is a big boy. He can handle it.

How about causing doubt in the minds of other players?

There you go, when you've been beaten you can always resort to personal attacks. Never mind actually trying to have an adult conversation with substance. What a little p***Y.

go_broncos
11-22-2011, 01:40 PM

THEN..PLEASE TELL ME WHY THE HELL HE DIDN'T SAY THESE THINGS WHEN ORTON IS THE QB.

ELWAY IS AFRAID THAT TEBOW WILL WIN MULTIPLE CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH DENVER AND HE WILL BE FORGOTTEN.

HE CHANGED AFTER MARRYING RAIDER FAN.

ant1999e
11-22-2011, 01:46 PM
THEN..PLEASE TELL ME WHY THE HELL HE DIDN'T SAY THESE THINGS WHEN ORTON IS THE QB.

ELWAY IS AFRAID THAT TEBOW WILL WIN MULTIPLE CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH DENVER AND HE WILL BE FORGOTTEN.

This!!!

SouthStndJunkie
11-22-2011, 01:49 PM
If that's how Elway feels that's fine, but he should keep his teeth shut and let Tebow play out the year.

Tebow's been busting his ass and winning games and has his teammates believing in him.

You don't say **** like that during the season in the middle of trying to win the division.

All he is doing is kicking the hornet's nest and giving the media something to talk about all damn week.

They already dissect every word anyone says about Tebow and Elway knows this.

Shut your teeth and make your evaluations for next year without talking so much.

Blart
11-22-2011, 01:50 PM
I for one don't require euphemisms or spin, and prefer honesty.

SouthStndJunkie
11-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I wonder if Elway simply doesn't like Tebow as a person sometimes, as there are a lot of people that don't.

I also wonder if he might be a tad bit jealous when he sees Tebow coming back late in games and hearing the same crowd that used to chant his name over and over chanting Tebow's.

Athletes tend to be the jealous type and John Elway is the King of Bronco QBs and it might give him a twinge of jealousy seeing someone else getting cheered and doing what he used to do.

I was a huge Elway fan when he played and hope he does well and builds a winner, but those questions are something that I've been wondering about this week.

bronco0608
11-22-2011, 01:56 PM
why in the world are fans of the broncos actively encouraging the people in our organization to operate under the guise of "spin, tact, and speaking volumes but actually saying nothing"?

all of a sudden I understand why people watch political debates and vote

like, you watch this **** right? and you want to sit there and be like YEAH when someone says something that you outright admit is complete bull****? you seek the bull****? are you broken? who stole your soul? They yern
for the doublespeak because they cant handle the truth.

Wow this is sad.

BabyTO
11-22-2011, 01:59 PM

****ing THIS^^

elway that asswipe didnt open his mouth ONE time or make a SINGLE negative comment on orton who was arguably the worst QB in the entire NFL when he played and largely responsible that this team was heading towards that #1 pick

now we have a winner in tebow and elway opens his stupid mouth every damn week to tell people that he's not sold on tebow.

he's sold on a piece of **** QB that can't win but he's not sold on a winning QB who gets the job done. somebody send this retard to oakland, im sure he would love having a classic dropback QB like palmer to work with. ****head.

jhns
11-22-2011, 02:03 PM
****ing THIS^^

elway that asswipe didnt open his mouth ONE time or make a SINGLE negative comment on orton who was arguably the worst QB in the entire NFL when he played and largely responsible that this team was heading towards that #1 pick

now we have a winner in tebow and elway opens his stupid mouth every damn week to tell people that he's not sold on tebow.

he's sold on a piece of **** QB that can't win but he's not sold on a winning QB who gets the job done. somebody send this retard to oakland, im sure he would love having a classic dropback QB like palmer to work with. ****head.

Pretty much. 1-4 is the QB and gives us the best chance to win. 4-1 is week to week and needs lots of work. He isn't exactly making a strong case that he is qualified for his job. What frightens me the most is that he may actually be saying what he thinks.

bendog
11-22-2011, 02:29 PM
When you make Brian Xanders look good in comparison, it's time to change your ways.

Seriously, what's your complaint about the FO telling fans the truth about Tebow and his current inability to play the qb in the NFL at a championship level? Is the team somehow better off by letting the tebowites fantasy continue? Tebow may learn to convert 3rd and 5 by passing from the pocket, but it's obvious he can't now. So, why lie about it or ignore that's the situation?

bendog
11-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I wonder if Elway simply doesn't like Tebow as a person sometimes, as there are a lot of people that don't.

I also wonder if he might be a tad bit jealous when he sees Tebow coming back late in games and hearing the same crowd that used to chant his name over and over chanting Tebow's.

Athletes tend to be the jealous type and John Elway is the King of Bronco QBs and it might give him a twinge of jealousy seeing someone else getting cheered and doing what he used to do.

I was a huge Elway fan when he played and hope he does well and builds a winner, but those questions are something that I've been wondering about this week.

projecting.

ant1999e
11-22-2011, 03:03 PM
If that's how Elway feels that's fine, but he should keep his teeth shut and let Tebow play out the year.

Tebow's been busting his ass and winning games and has his teammates believing in him.

You don't say **** like that during the season in the middle of trying to win the division.

All he is doing is kicking the hornet's nest and giving the media something to talk about all damn week.

They already dissect every word anyone says about Tebow and Elway knows this.

Shut your teeth and make your evaluations for next year without talking so much.

Thank You!

bendog
11-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Thank You!

Or it could be pre-empting another "they sort of pulled the job out from underneath me" moment.

TheReverend
11-22-2011, 03:06 PM
I for one don't require euphemisms or spin, and prefer honesty.

and penis.

jhns
11-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Seriously, what's your complaint about the FO telling fans the truth about Tebow and his current inability to play the qb in the NFL at a championship level? Is the team somehow better off by letting the tebowites fantasy continue? Tebow may learn to convert 3rd and 5 by passing from the pocket, but it's obvious he can't now. So, why lie about it or ignore that's the situation?

He completed a 56 yarder to put the game away, from the pocket, on third and long. He has brought this team back multiple times while passing. You are an idiot. We already knew this though.

Orton gives us the best chance to win!

Dr. Broncenstein
11-22-2011, 03:08 PM

The problem I have is the front office picking who they tell the truth about. "Best chance to win" and "unquestioned locker room leader" for example.

Play2win
11-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Chatter, chatter, and more chatter... :)

BroncoMan4ever
11-22-2011, 03:14 PM

a guy who was in the media spotlight his entire career, and remained an extremely popular figure in local sports talk needs PR help?

jhns
11-22-2011, 03:16 PM
a guy who was in the media spotlight his entire career, and remained an extremely popular figure in local sports talk needs PR help?

Nope. He just needs to learn how to do his job. 1-4 gives us a better chance to win than 4-1? He is about as smart as you when it comes to evaluating talent.

bendog
11-22-2011, 03:21 PM
The problem I have is the front office picking who they tell the truth about. "Best chance to win" and "unquestioned locker room leader" for example.

Well, he does give them a better chance to win than Orton. Franklin hasn't gotten much better in pass protection that I see, not that I'm surprised to see a rook RT get abused by speed rush, and the interior line wasn't so hot at it either. They have NO tailback besides a broken down guy with a busted hand and bad hammy. The WRs arent' that good. Tebow does have the lockerroom a happier place. And it's the defense making more a difference than Tebow.

But I don't see it in the team's best interests to have all the tebowites chanting that timmy's gonna win them the superbowl. He's not, at least not at the level he is executing now. Elway's right for making it clear where the team's going, so that these bandwagon/christianfundynotfans don't have the vapors if Tebow can't play the position.

the fans forced them to put tebow in. If fox didn't put in the read option, Tebow would look even worse than Orton. Half of me wishes they'd done that, but players aren't stupid, and if the lockerroom doesn't see the coaches busting balls to get wins, neither will they. If Fox loses the lockerroom, he'll never get it back, and then we're even worse off than just having a college qb who didn't make the transition and a worse draft position.

I just think Elway is accurately assessing the situation, and telling fans where it stands is a GOOD, and not a bad, thing. These idiot tebowites need to be told.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Well, he does give them a better chance to win than Orton. Franklin hasn't gotten much better in pass protection that I see, not that I'm surprised to see a rook RT get abused by speed rush, and the interior line wasn't so hot at it either. They have NO tailback besides a broken down guy with a busted hand and bad hammy. The WRs arent' that good. Tebow does have the lockerroom a happier place. And it's the defense making more a difference than Tebow.

But I don't see it in the team's best interests to have all the tebowites chanting that timmy's gonna win them the superbowl. He's not, at least not at the level he is executing now. Elway's right for making it clear where the team's going, so that these bandwagon/christianfundynotfans don't have the vapors if Tebow can't play the position.

the fans forced them to put tebow in. If fox didn't put in the read option, Tebow would look even worse than Orton. Half of me wishes they'd done that, but players aren't stupid, and if the lockerroom doesn't see the coaches busting balls to get wins, neither will they. If Fox loses the lockerroom, he'll never get it back, and then we're even worse off than just having a college qb who didn't make the transition and a worse draft position.

I just think Elway is accurately assessing the situation, and telling fans where it stands is a GOOD, and not a bad, thing. These idiot tebowites need to be told.

I just don't even know where to start here....

jhns
11-22-2011, 03:23 PM

Tebow played in that offense. The offense scored more points and the team had a better win percentage. Your spin is terrible. Just accept that you were completely wrong, as Tebow has proven many times over, and move on.

epicSocialism4tw
11-22-2011, 03:25 PM

Yes.

The goobrish way that this season has been handled from post-draft through 4:23 PM CST has been amateur hour in dove valley.

If Elway is trying to best McDaniels in head scratchers and moves that are so odd that some people perceive them as subterfuge, then he's doing a great job.

bendog
11-22-2011, 03:25 PM

then don't, because it's lost on you

SouthStndJunkie
11-22-2011, 03:26 PM
projecting.

Not projecting....thinking aloud.

I've got no idea if it's true or not.

epicSocialism4tw
11-22-2011, 03:27 PM

http://images.ddccdn.com/images/pills/mmx/t103288f/antabuse.jpg

Dr. Broncenstein
11-22-2011, 03:27 PM
then don't, because it's lost on you

"Best chance to win" and "unquestioned locker room leader" were FO references to Orton, which were obviously untrue. You f--king moron.

jhns
11-22-2011, 03:31 PM
"Best chance to win" and "unquestioned locker room leader" were FO references to Orton, which were obviously untrue. You f--king moron.

Best chance to win to out the door in the same season. Bendogwas arguing in favor of 1-4. Of course he has to act this way now. Elway needs to learn how to do his job.

bendog
11-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Not projecting....thinking aloud.

I've got no idea if it's true or not.

Elway didn't sound too jealous on tv, and he always says he wants the kid to do well. The guy is an NFL mvp, superbowl mvp, went to 5 superbowls, won two and was a first ballot HOFer, and is mentioned in the top five of nearly ever "greatest ever qb" thread. He doesn't have anything left to prove as a player. He's now got the job he's wanted since he retired. His best intersts are Tebow being the guy.

I haven't seen anything from Tebow suggesting he's a guy who can win a superbowl. He can't convert 3rd and 6's. I'm not saying throw him under the bus, and I'm really not saying draft III in the first. If Tebow can be a little less than average picking up 3rd and 6, but balls' down best in league on 3rd and 4, with an ass kicking defense and top 3 rushing offense ... maybe he can be "the guy." But I am saying that the franchise's best interests are tellign the fans the brutal truth. Tebow fans emotions, and the tebowites are not rational human beings.

jhns
11-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Elway didn't sound too jealous on tv, and he always says he wants the kid to do well. The guy is an NFL mvp, superbowl mvp, went to 5 superbowls, won two and was a first ballot HOFer, and is mentioned in the top five of nearly ever "greatest ever qb" thread. He doesn't have anything left to prove as a player. He's now got the job he's wanted since he retired. His best intersts are Tebow being the guy.

I haven't seen anything from Tebow suggesting he's a guy who can win a superbowl. He can't convert 3rd and 6's. I'm not saying throw him under the bus, and I'm really not saying draft III in the first. If Tebow can be a little less than average picking up 3rd and 6, but balls' down best in league on 3rd and 4, with an ass kicking defense and top 3 rushing offense ... maybe he can be "the guy." But I am saying that the franchise's best interests are tellign the fans the brutal truth. Tebow fans emotions, and the tebowites are not rational human beings.

The truth = Kyle Orton gives this team the best chance to win.

What is the old saying? It is better to let others think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

BroncsCheer
11-22-2011, 03:37 PM

That's actually pretty funny dude

BroncsCheer
11-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Elway is applying the patented Orange Mane Reverse Mojo to the Teebs . ..

He feeds off the negative vibe and goes all HAM in games.

Mark it down. . ..

bendog
11-22-2011, 03:41 PM

don't start with me. we have a history. you play smartmouth with me, bitch, I'm up for it.

I'll try again. Both statements are true. Tebow and the read option and a happier lockerrom and tebow's "personality" give Den a better chance to win games in 2011 than Orton. However, the offense actually scored less pts than the woeful Jests offense. Nothing Tebow's shown thus far shows he is the guy to play qb for Den (or any other team) in a superbowl

Popps
11-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Question: "John, is Tebow your quarterback of the future?"

Suggested PR Answer: "You know, since Tebow became our starter, I've had blast watching Bronco games on Sunday. Tim is an exciting player to watch, and I can't wait to see how he does against San Diego."

:spit:

Popps
11-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Honestly... this forum reaches new levels of stupid on an almost daily basis. Just when I think it can't get worse...

John Elway has taken the front office position in order to sabotage the club so no one shadows his legacy.

This forum is rapidly becoming funnier than Coast to Coast AM.

jhns
11-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Honestly... this forum reaches new levels of stupid on an almost daily basis. Just when I think it can't get worse...

John Elway has taken the front office position in order to sabotage the club so no one shadows his legacy.

Says the McFan.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-22-2011, 03:52 PM
don't start with me. we have a history. you play smartmouth with me, b****, I'm up for it.

I'll try again. Both statements are true. Tebow and the read option and a happier lockerrom and tebow's "personality" give Den a better chance to win games in 2011 than Orton. However, the offense actually scored less pts than the woeful Jests offense. Nothing Tebow's shown thus far shows he is the guy to play qb for Den (or any other team) in a superbowl

History? That's news to me. But you keep that flame burning if it helps you get through your day.

Orton neither gave the team the "best chance to win," nor was he the "unquestioned locker room leader" that the FO wanted us to believe. Guess how I know? These were straight up lies that went right along with the "Orton was the clear cut winner of an open competition for the starting job."

Suddenly, they are up front and telling their honest opinion about Tebow.

So on one hand, they blatantly lie about one guy (Orton, so you don't get confused) in a show of support. On the other they give their honest opinion about Tebow in something that is approximately the exact opposite of support.

chrisp
11-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Oh. My. God.

Newsflash - a qb who completes less than 50 percent of his passes and has gone 3-13 on 3rd down hasn't quite sewn up the starting job for the next 10 years yet

Perspective people. Some of you suck at it.

as 4-1 seems to be all you need to be anointed for some of you, how were you all feeling about McDaniels when he was 5-0 the season before last. Sainthood?

The FO and coaching staff defended Orton in the face of massive hostility from the fanbase because they honestly thought he was better than Tebow. But when the team got to 1-4 Fox benched him. Do you get that? They actually did put Tebow in there. And guess what? They actually like that he's winning and will keep him in there as long as he does that. But he'll have to improve if he wants to lock up the position for the long term.

I don't think any other GM in the league making the same comment about a starting QB with Tebow's numbers generates anything like the same level of fuss. Do we really think we're going to keep on winning without any improvement there? If we finish the season 11-5 then maybe Tebow has a stronger claim, but if we start losing again and struggle to an 8-8 or 7-9 record, what do you think about Tebow then?

I'm not saying he isn't or can't be the long term answer. What I'm saying is that Elway wouldn't be doing his job properly if he ignored the negatives about the guy, particularly after so few games. I don 't give a flying mokey's testicle what his PR skills are like, his job is to steer the franchise to a superbowl. That comes down to picking the right coaches and players. If you win, the PR takes care of itself.

DenverBrit
11-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Maybe Elway has some nagging doubts that option football is right offense in the NFL.

But the armchair coaches and team owners know best, so maybe Elway should pay attention to them, or at least play some Madden to see how it should be done.

maher_tyler
11-22-2011, 04:54 PM
;)

Elway had been putting his foot in his mouth from day one. These comments are just the latest.

Exactly. I honestly think its going to take us making the playoffs for him to STFU.

maher_tyler
11-22-2011, 04:58 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KeVca9MwDX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here you go, Armchair...

"I looooooove winning man, I ****in love winning, you hear what i'm sayin, it's like better than losing!"

LOL

TNF
11-22-2011, 05:50 PM
I am a Jew who thinks all right-wing Christians should move to an island, but since that's never going to happen...

Who could dislike Tebow? Who couldn't want him to succeed?

Dude is SINCERE! That matters.

I was always an Elway admirer, but he's really fuXXing up per TT PR.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-22-2011, 06:38 PM
I am a Jew who thinks all right-wing Christians should move to an island, but since that's never going to happen...

Who could dislike Tebow? Who couldn't want him to succeed?

Dude is SINCERE! That matters.

I was always an Elway admirer, but he's really fuXXing up per TT PR.

Guess what?

You're on it.

Inkana7
11-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Y'all wanted transparency after McDaniels, you're getting it.

epicSocialism4tw
11-22-2011, 06:44 PM
I am a Jew who thinks all right-wing Christians should move to an island

Wait...you want a religious group to be persecuted and removed from your country...and you're a Jew?

You might want to give that a little more thought.

Bronx33
11-22-2011, 06:58 PM
No.............. ummmmmmmm errrrrrrr i mean hes our guy until he proves otherwise.

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Question: "John, at the beginning of the season, you said that Orton gave this team the best chance to win. Now you've waived him. What's going on?"

Suggested PR Answer: "I'd like to thank Kyle for his service here in Denver. He's a quality starter and we're sure he'll get a shot with another team. But obviously with Tim, we're moving in a different direction this year."

(Notice how I worked in Elway's favorite interview term: "obviously"?)

Jay3
11-22-2011, 07:01 PM

What if Tebow were asked about the play-calling and said "Well, it could be better, but it's improving. Remember, Coach McCoy has never been an offensive coordinator before he got here, and McD called the plays last year, so at times it's obviously been puzzling to hear the predictable play-calling through that radio, but all in all it's a blessing."

It would be honest, but not a good answer in a team environment.

Fedaykin
11-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Oh no, someone being honest in an interview.

What has this world come to!

If Teebs can't handle a statement like that, why does everyone tout his intangibles so much? He seems like a honest kid, so I doubt he thinks he's got the job locked up when he's struggling so badly in the passing game.

Bronx33
11-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Elway is applying the patented Orange Mane Reverse Mojo to the Teebs . ..

He feeds off the negative vibe and goes all HAM in games.

Mark it down. . ..

This..... before i was confused by elways poor remark but his explains everything its almost super wylie coyote genius.

Fedaykin
11-22-2011, 07:04 PM
What if Tebow were asked about the play-calling and said "Well, it could be better, but it's improving. Remember, Coach McCoy has never been an offensive coordinator before he got here, and McD called the plays last year, so at times it's obviously been puzzling to hear the predictable play-calling through that radio, but all in all it's a blessing."

It would be honest, but not a good answer in a team environment.

Completely invalid comparison. What Elway said was pretty straight forward and anyone (including Teebs) who understands what they are seeing on the field knows that the QB position is not a lock right now.

It was not, as you suggest, Elway calling Teebs out publicly.

Jay3
11-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Or "we'll be looking at installing an Orton comeback package this week."

55CrushEm
11-22-2011, 07:45 PM
and penis.

:spit:

ak1971
11-22-2011, 08:06 PM

LOL Awesome ...I think I will change my name to Art Bell

gunns
11-22-2011, 09:01 PM

They complain because they say Elway has lied about Orton. They complain because what Elway says makes them think he's going to start Orton. They complain that Elway said he was going to be honest and he's not. He's honest and they complain.

I do not understand the animosity and disrespect to a guy who inherited a very damaged team, did the best he could to put a half way decent product on the field with what he had, had an excellent draft, now has a team that is winning and notice I use the term team, not Tebow alone. A guy who has not said one bad thing about Tebow, but that's what they hear because he's not saying what they want to hear. A guy who is the face of the Broncos and did more for this organization than any other person and they choose to believe, hear, read things in a way that will make him look bad, while attempting to make a guy who has done very little for the Broncos in comparison look like the all time savior of the Broncos. They talk about how Tebow, despite his unorthodox ways, has us winning and that's what's important. Sorry dudes, it's Elway, it's Miller, it's the WR's, it's the lines, it's the whole damn team Elway has put on the field for this year. So what is it, is it about the Broncos winning or you getting what you want or hearing what you want, despite having twisted it all to begin with?

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Question: "John, if Chicago claims Orton off waivers, won't you and the rest of the front office feel a bit awkward a few weeks from now when Denver plays Chicago?"

Suggested PR Response: "At the end of the day, this is a game. I don't know about you, but I think a Tebow versus Orton matchup will be interesting for the fans to watch."

(See how this works, John? You say *something* but you don't actually say *anything*! Got it?)

theAPAOps5
11-22-2011, 09:12 PM
John doesn't need tips. Honesty is the best answer. Good job John

broncocalijohn
11-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Just for those bagging on Elway, who has brought in the coach that is turning around this defense? Who made sure we went defense in the draft? What unit has shown vast improvement from the last 1/2 dozen years? Remember fans and psuedo fans, this team is more than one position. While not everything has been rosy and there is much work to do, I will take a positive approach for this front office in their first full season together. You wanted Tebow to get time then you should give Elway and company the same.

theAPAOps5
11-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Just for those bagging on Elway, who has brought in the coach that is turning around this defense? Who made sure we went defense in the draft? What unit has shown vast improvement from the last 1/2 dozen years? Remember fans and psuedo fans, this team is more than one position. While not everything has been rosy and there is much work to do, I will take a positive approach for this front office in their first full season together. You wanted Tebow to get time then you should give Elway and company the same.

Denver Broncos fans get it. Denver Tebows fans don't. The difference Broncos fans will be here long past Tebow.

Armchair Bronco
11-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Here are a few things Elway might want to consider saying after Tebow's next win. And if he makes some constructive criticism, he should still end with something positive.

I'm really proud of the way Tebow hung in there.

Tebow and the rest of the team came to play.

Tebow brought his A-game today.

Tebow knew what he had to do and he went out and did it.

We're tickled to death with Tebow's performance today.

We're glad to get out of here with the "W".

It's tough to win in a hostile environment.

We're happy we could pull this one out at the end.

We feel fortunate.

We knew this would be no cakewalk.

It wasn't pretty but we'll take it.

We managed to eke out a win.

The important thing is that we won.

A win is a win.

This was a good win for us.

(adapted from SportsCliche.com)

broncocalijohn
11-22-2011, 09:29 PM
The truth = Kyle Orton gives this team the best chance to win.

What is the old saying? It is better to let others think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Yet most of the time you dont follow the old saying. ROFL!

OrangeSe7en
11-22-2011, 09:42 PM

All that might be true but John really needs to improve at dealing with the media. You can't just go around pulling pins out of grenades when you have Elway's position, especially when things are going relatively well with the team. This is just a distraction.

broncocalijohn
11-22-2011, 10:41 PM
All that might be true but John really needs to improve at dealing with the media. You can't just go around pulling pins out of grenades when you have Elway's position, especially when things are going relatively well with the team. This is just a distraction.

Then it might just be best he stops his Elway show or lie to the listeners. I believe most are upset that Elway hasnt been sold on Tebow after he has gone 4-1. To me, it seems Elway is giving a lot more credit to the other parts of this team then he is on Tebow. Many fans are doing the exact opposite and this lies much of the problem. What we have so far in Elway is an open book. Like it or not, he is being brutally honest.

DenverBrit
11-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Here are a few things Elway might want to consider saying after Tebow's next win. And if he makes some constructive criticism, he should still end with something positive.

I'm really proud of the way Tebow hung in there.

Tebow and the rest of the team came to play.

Tebow brought his A-game today.

Tebow knew what he had to do and he went out and did it.

We're tickled to death with Tebow's performance today.

We're glad to get out of here with the "W".

It's tough to win in a hostile environment.

We're happy we could pull this one out at the end.

We feel fortunate.

We knew this would be no cakewalk.

It wasn't pretty but we'll take it.

We managed to eke out a win.

The important thing is that we won.

A win is a win.

This was a good win for us.

(adapted from SportsCliche.com)

You've posted a nice list of cliches, something that Elway should avoid at all costs.

Personally, I don't give a rat's about the usual spin that comes from a FO. Like many here, I'd like to see the team re-built via the draft and careful FA signings....not excuses, cliches or platitudes.