PDA

View Full Version : QB of the future?

Broncoman13
11-22-2011, 04:36 AM
So I have a theory regarding our direction in the draft. I think the Broncos enjoy the direction they are going with the offense. I think they like what Tebow brings as a running QB. I also think they love what he brings as a competitor. But, they know they are missing a dynamic in their offense and don't believe Tebow can be that guy. When they admitted that they would consider using a different QB in passing situations it got me to thinking. I think they will take a QB in next year's draft... If they can land RGIII. Not only can they maintain their current office with Tebow, they can run the same exact plays with RGIII. Tebow will be the starter and will have the opportunity to improve in the passing game, Broncos will have a QB that can stay on schedule and run the unconventional plays as well. The downside is obviously we have other needs, but this is how I see it going... Especially when Elway won't come close to giving Tebow any love for his QBing after the games. If the Broncos draft RGIII it is b/c they like this offensive philosophy and realize, at the very least it forces opposing defenses to work on something out of the norm in preparation. If they go outside of RGIII then they are looking to permanently replace Tebow. That would be another major distraction to this team...

The Joker
11-22-2011, 04:47 AM
I genuinely don't think they know yet.

The next six games will tell us, and them, a lot.

We'll be drafting a QB in the next draft for sure. If Tebow doesn't look good down the stretch it could be with our first rounder, but regardless expect us to spend a 4th or 5th on a developmental guy to sit behind Tebow and take over if he doesn't progress as a passer over the next couple of years.

KO5K
11-22-2011, 04:58 AM
I don't think they keep Tebow around if they go QB early (eg RG3).

fontaine
11-22-2011, 05:02 AM
So I have a theory regarding our direction in the draft. I think the Broncos enjoy the direction they are going with the offense. I think they like what Tebow brings as a running QB. I also think they love what he brings as a competitor. But, they know they are missing a dynamic in their offense and don't believe Tebow can be that guy. When they admitted that they would consider using a different QB in passing situations it got me to thinking. I think they will take a QB in next year's draft... If they can land RGIII. Not only can they maintain their current office with Tebow, they can run the same exact plays with RGIII. Tebow will be the starter and will have the opportunity to improve in the passing game, Broncos will have a QB that can stay on schedule and run the unconventional plays as well. The downside is obviously we have other needs, but this is how I see it going... Especially when Elway won't come close to giving Tebow any love for his QBing after the games. If the Broncos draft RGIII it is b/c they like this offensive philosophy and realize, at the very least it forces opposing defenses to work on something out of the norm in preparation. If they go outside of RGIII then they are looking to permanently replace Tebow. That would be another major distraction to this team...

So the purpose of creating a new thread is to say the Broncos either:

1. Draft RG
or
2. They don't draft RG

Thanks for clearing that up and creating a new thread to explain. I'm sure a lot of people here were having trouble with that because we definitely need more QB related threads on the front page.

cmhargrove
11-22-2011, 06:18 AM
It seems that Denver has been a massive soap opera ever since the 11th pick of the 2006 draft. I mean it has just been ridiculous. One one hand, our team is never boring, but on the other hand it has been a huge dysfunctional mess.

The old axiom goes - "winning cures everything," but in this case it just inflames the whole soap opera. On one hand, you have the ultimate Denver Bronco ever running the show. We all want Elway to do well, right? On the other hand, we have the most interesting and enigmatic football player that I can ever remember in the history of the sport. Every "professional" in the business (including his employers) are expecting him to fail, but he just won't. He refuses. He fights. He bleeds. He wins.

I have had more fun watching Tebow finish games in the fourth quarter than I can remember. The last time I really had that much fun watching football was when the Broncos beat the Packers in SB XXXII. I mean during the Jets game, my kids and I were jumping around, throwing pillows, and screaming at the TV kind of fun. My heart is thumping at the end of every game, and I just believe. Its that easy, I just believe...

So John Elway, you are the reason I became a Broncos fan - but you can suck it. Get behind the kid and stop being an asshole. If you want to replace him in next year's draft, do it. However, this season, we need you to step up and give the kid every chance to win.

/end

Play2win
11-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Get Matt Barkley and be done with it. Pro running game with a pro passing game and a pro, opportunistic defense, and we will be back in the big dance within the next few years.

edog24
11-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Get Matt Barkley and be done with it. Pro running game with a pro passing game and a pro, opportunistic defense, and we will be back in the big dance within the next few years.

Shoot we should dump Tebow now and start Adam Weber against the Chargers so we have a better pick.

BroncoInferno
11-22-2011, 06:42 AM
If they take a QB in round 1, Tebow is pretty much done. But I don't think they've made up their mind yet. I think the fact that Tebow will be the only QB under contract for next season gives them a little flexibility. They can maybe sign one vet and then draft a guy in round 2 or 3 under the "creating more competition and needing depth" mantra. And it will be true. Tebow will still have a legit opportunity to fight off the rookie and vet, and they will have another prospect as a fallback plan. But you don't take a QB in round 1 to create depth and competition. That's a guy you intend to be your QOTF.

edog24
11-22-2011, 06:44 AM

maher_tyler
11-22-2011, 06:44 AM
If we make the playoffs after starting the season 1-4. It'll be hard for the to justify drafting a QB in round 1 imo.

BroncoBen
11-22-2011, 06:51 AM
So John Elway, you are the reason I became a Broncos fan - but you can suck it. Get behind the kid and stop being an a-hole. If you want to replace him in next year's draft, do it. However, this season, we need you to step up and give the kid every chance to win.

This type of talk kills me, what makes you think the Broncos are not giving Tebow a chance to win ? If anything the Broncos are doing everything they can to give Tebow a chance to win. The best way to win right now, limit his throws, keep the game close, then hope Tebow can with the use of his running style score a TD or put the Broncos in a position to win with a late Field goal.

This is the NFL, the Jets had Tebow pretty much shut down. If not for Sanchez and his turnover (pick 6) and a missed angle on a tackle the Jets win.

KO5K
11-22-2011, 06:55 AM
This type of talk kills me, what makes you think the Broncos are not giving Tebow a chance to win ? If anything the Broncos are doing everything they can to give Tebow a chance to win. The best way to win right now, limit his throws, keep the game close, then hope Tebow can with the use of his running style score a TD or put the Broncos in a position to win with a late Field goal.

The post you responded to didn't mention anything about not putting Tebow in a position to win...

Broncoman13
11-22-2011, 07:15 AM
So the purpose of creating a new thread is to say the Broncos either:

1. Draft RG
or
2. They don't draft RG

Thanks for clearing that up and creating a new thread to explain. I'm sure a lot of people here were having trouble with that because we definitely need more QB related threads on the front page.

Feel free not to show your ignorance next time. The Broncos have been rumored to be interested in RGIII for weeks now. Again, you're welcome not to post if you don't agree, I generally don't read your posts but I assume you're opposed to anything that doesn't fit within your perception of this team.

Broncoman13
11-22-2011, 07:23 AM
It seems that Denver has been a massive soap opera ever since the 11th pick of the 2006 draft. I mean it has just been ridiculous. One one hand, our team is never boring, but on the other hand it has been a huge dysfunctional mess.

The old axiom goes - "winning cures everything," but in this case it just inflames the whole soap opera. On one hand, you have the ultimate Denver Bronco ever running the show. We all want Elway to do well, right? On the other hand, we have the most interesting and enigmatic football player that I can ever remember in the history of the sport. Every "professional" in the business (including his employers) are expecting him to fail, but he just won't. He refuses. He fights. He bleeds. He wins.

I have had more fun watching Tebow finish games in the fourth quarter than I can remember. The last time I really had that much fun watching football was when the Broncos beat the Packers in SB XXXII. I mean during the Jets game, my kids and I were jumping around, throwing pillows, and screaming at the TV kind of fun. My heart is thumping at the end of every game, and I just believe. Its that easy, I just believe...

So John Elway, you are the reason I became a Broncos fan - but you can suck it. Get behind the kid and stop being an a-hole. If you want to replace him in next year's draft, do it. However, this season, we need you to step up and give the kid every chance to win.

/end

Completely agree. We had practice Thursday night, ended practice and piled into the film room to watch the remaining 5 minutes of the game... A lot of fun watching Tebow and while he doesn't do it the same way, it is very reminiscent of the Reeves' era John Elway. High fives and fist pumps after every other play and then knowing the defense could survive any comeback attempt. I hope Tebow can improve the passing, b/c he is a winner...plain and simple.

BowlenBall
11-22-2011, 08:28 AM

/end

Cosign.

cmhargrove
11-22-2011, 08:49 AM

This is the NFL, the Jets had Tebow pretty much shut down. If not for Sanchez and his turnover (pick 6) and a missed angle on a tackle the Jets win.

Just a question. I know that Fox and McCoy are trying their best, but why does John keep opening his mouth and expressing doubt about his starting QB in public? These decisions and conversations should be behind closed doors. If Elway wants to tell Tebow he needs to improve, or his job is on the line week to week, do it in private at Dove valley. It's 100% Elway's fault for dragging this into the public arena because it isn't constructive for our organization or fan base.

Elway should run this team as he sees fit, but just do it in private. He needs to learn to stop dragging the dysfunction to the press. Publicly, our young QB needs support, not constant criticism from his GM.

Play2win
11-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Just a question. I know that Fox and McCoy are trying their best, but why does John keep opening his mouth and expressing doubt about his starting QB in public? These decisions and conversations should be behind closed doors. If Elway wants to tell Tebow he needs to improve, or his job is on the line week to week, do it in private at Dove valley. It's 100% Elway's fault for dragging this into the public arena because it isn't constructive for our organization or fan base.

Elway should run this team as he sees fit, but just do it in private. He needs to learn to stop dragging the dysfunction to the press. Publicly, our young QB needs support, not constant criticism from his GM.

Keep up chatter about the organization?

DrFate
11-22-2011, 08:54 AM
If anything the Broncos are doing everything they can to give Tebow a chance to win. The best way to win right now, limit his throws

This is entirely off target, post wise. While winning is the ultimate goal, determining if a player has a future with the team is also of great importance.

People get all caught up in Tebow's completion percentage without looking at the actual playcalling. They need to let Tebow throw more, but also include some screens, some planned dump-offs, some short stuff, etc.

Yes, he's under 50%. And yes, he needs to improve certain routes. But simply saying 'he completed 2 of 5' is disingenuous when those 5 are all 40+ yard heaves to Decker.

rbackfactory80
11-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Hate to say it but he will be gone. Love Tim and wish this wasn't the case.

It will be hard to get rid of him though if we keep winning. Fans outcry would be too much for the FO to deal with. If we go 9-7 and he is replaced, Dove Valley will be a disaster area.

Then we will draft some late first round project who throws the ball beautifully in shorts but doesn't have the heart or will to stand up in the NFL when it matters.

I would rather keep the guy who knows how to get it done and thrives on it and let him progress naturally where he will get better at throwing the ball.

Sickest thing about all this is Elway should know how to treat a QB especially with his relationship with Reeves. I had more faith #7 than I do now.

DrFate
11-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Hate to say it but he will be gone. Love Tim and wish this wasn't the case.

It will be hard to get rid of him though if we keep winning. Fans outcry would be too much for the FO to deal with. If we go 9-7 and he is replaced, Dove Valley will be a disaster area.

Then we will draft some late first round project who throws the ball beautifully in shorts but doesn't have the heart or will to stand up in the NFL when it matters.

I would rather keep the guy who knows how to get it done and thrives on it and let him progress naturally where he will get better at throwing the ball.

Sickest thing about all this is Elway should know how to treat a QB especially with his relationship with Reeves. I had more faith #7 than I do now.

I think this is the most likely outcome (and adding a young, vet backup to compete with the rookie)

bronclvr
11-22-2011, 09:24 AM
I wonder if we could get the Billboard guy on I-25 to post a message to Elway-;D

Seriously, did anyone watch "The John Elway Show" last night? I did, and the woman who co-hosts asked Elway specifically about his quote, and he said "we will evaluate our position at the end of the Year" and "Tim is progressing, and he is working on his passing every day"-

I dunno-I am a Elway homer, but I think he's not playing this very intelligently-I would rather lose with a character guy like Tebow than to win with a mopey, me-first guy like Cutler or Raplisburger-but that's just me-

montrose
11-22-2011, 09:30 AM
If the Broncos were to take a QB in the draft RG3 would be an intriguing option for them although its looking like he'll be gone by their pick, as will be Luck, Barkley and Jones. Per keeping Tebow around, highly unlikely. If a QB is taken in the 1st round, I'd be stunned if Tebow remained on the roster- especially inlight of the media circus now circulating around Elway the last two days.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I just can't wait until the draft, when we have one quarterback under contract, we spend a 5th rounder on a developmental guy, and this board explodes with "WHY DOES JOHN ELWAY HATE THE BRONCOS AND TEBOW AND EVERYTHING THATS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?"

Gonna be rad.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-22-2011, 09:34 AM

/end

Great post.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Great post.

Yes, except for the end. Where he calls John Elway an asshole.

What makes John Elway an asshole again? Saying Tebow needs to improve? Yeah, what an asshole.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Yes, except for the end. Where he calls John Elway an a-hole.

What makes John Elway an a-hole again? Saying Tebow needs to improve? Yeah, what an a-hole.

'ppreciate that

montrose
11-22-2011, 09:49 AM

What makes John Elway an a-hole again? Saying Tebow needs to improve? Yeah, what an a-hole.

I think most fans on the surface would agree with you but we're all aware of the circumstances surrounding Tebow which magnify the comments the VP would make so by taking a very neutral stance - fans take it as a lack of support, which is understandable. Compare those comments to the ones Elway made about Von Miller being benched earlier this season and you can hear the difference not only in content but in tone. That's what I think most Broncos fans would want, for Elway to speak about Tebow's "struggles" the same way he did Von's "struggles".

The difference, Elway drafted Von and he didn't draft Tebow. Man this is just the begining, this thing is going to blow up 10 fold if the Broncos move out Tebow after making the playoffs - which could very well happen.

cmhargrove
11-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Just read the previous posts. I said that to unnecessarily drag a "controversy" into the public arena that could be handled privately is an "a-hole" move. If you have an employee that wasn't performing up to your expectations, do you keep the heat on that person behind closed doors, and replace them if necessary? Or, do you choose to call them out publicly and make a big, compound, face-saving issue instead?

If I did the latter, my employees would call me an a-hole.

I love me some Elway, that's why i hand-built a case for a signed jersey that hangs in my bedroom. However, I disagree with his handling of this part of our team.

DrFate
11-22-2011, 09:57 AM
I think most fans on the surface would agree with you but we're all aware of the circumstances surrounding Tebow which magnify the comments the VP would make so by taking a very neutral stance - fans take it as a lack of support, which is understandable. Compare those comments to the ones Elway made about Von Miller being benched earlier this season and you can hear the difference not only in content but in tone. That's what I think most Broncos fans would want, for Elway to speak about Tebow's "struggles" the same way he did Von's "struggles".

The difference, Elway drafted Von and he didn't draft Tebow. Man this is just the begining, this thing is going to blow up 10 fold if the Broncos move out Tebow after making the playoffs - which could very well happen.

rep

Pony Boy
11-22-2011, 10:01 AM
It's obvious that Tebow's days are numbered in Denver with Elway at the GM position. I love Tebow and hope he has continued success this season. Maybe Jacksonville will realize that Tebow would fill their stadium and we can get some value for him in a trade.

I've been a Bronco's fan since the Morton to Moses days and this whole situation just makes me sick and like many other Bronco fans, I need to separate Elway the perfect player from Elway the tactless GM.

Shotgun Willie
11-22-2011, 10:06 AM
It's obvious that Tebow's days are numbered in Denver with Elway at the GM position.......Elway the tactless GM.

Ummmm, wait a sec. When did that happen?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-22-2011, 10:13 AM

That's fair, and I think it's also the first honest assessment I've seen of the circumstances surrounding these interviews. I don't think Elway wants Tebow to fail; in fact, Tebow having success SHOULD make Elway's job easier. Problem is, if Elway doesn't think you can win long-term in this league without a significant presence in the passing game, he probably doesn't see Tebow as the answer.

I honestly think this is much ado about nothing. I think we'll probably keep Tebow as the starter next year, move Weber up to third, and sign a veteran QB to back up/mentor Tebow.

Now, if in 2012 we still have to run an option offense because Tim isn't completing enough of his passes, Elway will have some choices to make in 2013's draft. But the world is ending in 2012 anyway, so... See? Much ado about nothing.

fontaine
11-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Feel free not to show your ignorance next time. The Broncos have been rumored to be interested in RGIII for weeks now. Again, you're welcome not to post if you don't agree, I generally don't read your posts but I assume you're opposed to anything that doesn't fit within your perception of this team.

Why don't you create another new QB thread about it?

Because that's exactly what this board needs. More threads about how fans feel about the QB situation.

LaneLosh2
11-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Weeden was a good pick until his 3 pick performance at ISU. Still think he is the way to go

Broncoman13
11-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Why don't you create another new QB thread about it?

Because that's exactly what this board needs. More threads about how fans feel about the QB situation.

Message board... Fans post... Breaking news.

Happy Thanksgiving.

BroncoInferno
11-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Elway isn't trading Tebow if we make the playoffs. Zero chance. Even if he wanted to, the liklihood of a massive PR blow-up would prevent him from pulling the trigger.

Requiem
11-22-2011, 11:13 AM
From what I've read it doesn't seem like RGIII is going to come out. He'll finish his MA and then enroll in law school because he has another year of eligibility.

If Denver was picking today, we would be at the #18 spot. Way too far back to even think Luck. Jones and Barkley will likely go before then. QB simply isn't the best option for them at that period in time, and definitely will not be if Barkley and Griffin don't come out. Barkley could go #1 next year and win a NC after the ban is listed. They can address another need on the defensive side of the ball (or offensive) and land a top prospect in the process.

I think the Broncos best value and bang for their buck will be to ignore QB in round one and get someone like Ryan Lindley in the third round if possible and address more pertinent needs in 1 and 2, while still having an out if Tebow isn't favored or doesn't pan out.