PDA

View Full Version : Other teams running the Option

tsiguy96
11-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Bengals run the option, Andy Dalton pitch fumbled to the ground. He's no Tim Tebow

-Ravensinsider

interesting...

theAPAOps5
11-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Unanticipated Tebow Effect. Except for real this time.

Jetmeck
11-20-2011, 01:37 PM
wish tim could pass like this guy though

theAPAOps5
11-20-2011, 01:38 PM
:strong:wish tim could pass like this guy though

Agreed

Bronx33
11-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Tebow haters will surely hate even more cause tebow is clearly pushing his football on the rest of the NFL first religion and now this.

theAPAOps5
11-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Tebow haters will surely hate even more cause tebow is clearly pushing his football on the rest of the NFL first religion and now this.

Lol

McDman
11-20-2011, 01:40 PM
This will be exactly like the wildcat.

tsiguy96
11-20-2011, 01:42 PM

so many more dimensions to a read option than the wildcat. direct snap to a RB who runs it up the guy every time isnt very imaginative.

sinuous sausage
11-20-2011, 01:54 PM

I keep reading that, but I have no idea why anyone believes it. Anyone with a brain cell can see that the option does not = the wildcat.

enjolras
11-20-2011, 01:58 PM
I keep reading that, but I have no idea why anyone believes it. Anyone with a brain cell can see that the option does not = the wildcat.

Yep. I've yet to see one team run the wildcat as their base offense at any level (except possibly high school).

You can find zone-read teams at every collegiate level.

McDman
11-20-2011, 02:03 PM
There is a reason it is not run int he pros. As of right now it is a gimmick. Maybe Tebow is just that special to where he can make it work but I just don't see it.

This is a passing league now. Last year something like only one top ten rushing team made the playoffs. If we can only pas it 15 times a game and have to have these miraculous fourth quarter comebacks every week then it isn't going to last long.

TheReverend
11-20-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't think people understand how complicated the offense we're running now actually is for a QB to do it properly...

DBroncos4life
11-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't think people understand how complicated the offense we're running now actually is for a QB to do it properly...

This is why I laugh everytime someone says something about the coaching staff. I have my issues with McCoy but what they are doing on the fly is pretty darn impressive.

Gort
11-20-2011, 02:21 PM
There is a reason it is not run int he pros. As of right now it is a gimmick. Maybe Tebow is just that special to where he can make it work but I just don't see it.

This is a passing league now. Last year something like only one top ten rushing team made the playoffs. If we can only pas it 15 times a game and have to have these miraculous fourth quarter comebacks every week then it isn't going to last long.

it's not a gimmick. it gives the O an extra blocker. if you have an athletic QB, it gives you an edge. maybe you can't run it all game, but there are times when you can break it out that make sense. if i were anybody playing the Raiders the rest of the season, i'd put in a package of those plays just for that game if i had an athletic QB.

Gort
11-20-2011, 02:23 PM

they really don't. the blabbering heads on ESPN and NFL Network don't really understand what they're seeing and can't get beyond the snarky headlines about Tebow. right now, Tebow is a rookie as a passer, but he's a vet at running the spread. it makes sense to run the plays that he's really good at while he gets better with the passing.

FISH
11-20-2011, 03:16 PM
they really don't. the blabbering heads on ESPN and NFL Network don't really understand what they're seeing and can't get beyond the snarky headlines about Tebow. right now, Tebow is a rookie as a passer, but he's a vet at running the spread. it makes sense to run the plays that he's really good at while he gets better with the passing.

Absolutely. Also...bonus points for using "snarky"

Dagmar
11-20-2011, 03:28 PM
wish tim could pass like this guy though

373 yards, td and 3 picks for a loss. That would be so much better.

sinuous sausage
11-20-2011, 04:04 PM

wasn't it once a rushing league? because most teams are heavily reliant on the pass doesn't mean we all should do it. Listen to your mother when she talks about your friends and cliffs and walking.

There's so many reasons why it's looney to label the option a gimmick and near its expiration date. As to why it hasn't been run before in the NFL really has not much to do with its efficacy as compared to the injury risk to the QB. Those gays cost $$,$$$,$$$. Then there's the whole consideration of why it's different than the Wildcat, with a slew of issues ranging from the likelihood of pass/run plays from a running QB compared to a RB, the complexity of the play design, oh, and the fact it's an OPTION, which takes the mental toll on the defense to a whole new level. Add in the fact we have the consummate perfect QB to run this offense, and I find myself willing to give it a shot.

Vine
11-20-2011, 04:06 PM
With continuing evolving, tinkering, modifying of this new option offense, along with Tebow improving all aspects of his game, I think the Broncos offense can become the most feared offense in the NFL.

LaneLosh2
11-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Cam Newton can run the option way better than tebow

UberBroncoMan
11-20-2011, 04:40 PM
With continuing evolving, tinkering, modifying of this new option offense, along with Tebow improving all aspects of his game, I think the Broncos offense can become the most feared offense in the NFL.

Once he becomes a consistently accurate passer with a long ball that defenders fear, yes.

GreatBronco16
11-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Cam Newton can run the option way better than tebow

LOL

DenverBrit
11-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Once he becomes a consistently accurate passer with a long ball that defenders fear, yes.

Exactly!

Vine
11-20-2011, 04:51 PM

Long ball helps, but a medium passing range (10-25 yards) would go a long way to helping this offense become feared.

I am not as much worried about Tebow's ability to throw a deep ball. He has connected on a few that has shown that he can hit the deep ball. It is those medium passing routes that will do some serious damage to defenses when he improves with those types of passes.

Jetmeck
11-20-2011, 05:31 PM
373 yards, td and 3 picks for a loss. That would be so much better.

don't be a dick. You know I meant in general Dalton is having a great season.

broncolife
11-20-2011, 06:34 PM
I remember Cutler doing a couple option plays for us

Broncoman13
11-20-2011, 06:38 PM

Exactly! I was actually wondering last night/this morning how long it would be before other teams start putting in some plays that are working for the Broncos right now. Definitely a copycat league, figure to see some similar plays in the future. May not be true options as they will likely be designed pitches that look like an option.

I did see a lot of unbalanced line today. Vikings ran it against the Faid as did the Bears against the Chuggers.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Tebow is ramming his option down the throats of offensive coordinators.

Steve Prefontaine
11-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Vince Young just ran a read option play.

cutthemdown
11-20-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm watching all there average passers try to be Rodgers and mostly they just throw 2-3 picks a game.

Chris
11-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Vince Young just ran a read option play.

this, though it wasn't very successful.

ZONA
11-20-2011, 10:54 PM

You can't go buy that single stat alone (top 10 rushing teams) didn't make the playoffs. The could have had horid defenses, lousy special teams and frankly, their so called top rushing game could have been very moderate.

I think alot of it comes down to which teams have avoided the most key injuries. And I also think one of the reasons why you don't see many running teams as you did say 10 years ago is because it's a copycat league. With Brady and Manning do what they have been doing for 10+ years, everybody else wants to go that route also.

But somewhere in that mix, I think you have to throw in the Steelers. Who I don't consider a standard pocket passing team. They are a physical team with a great defense and a QB who makes clutch plays when it counts the most. They also ran the ball well.

I'm not at all trying to say the Broncos, the way we are playing have a good chance to win the Superbowl. I think Tebow has to clearly improve his passing game. But if he can do that, and we can also keep alot of this heavy run and option stuff, witch a defense that has the ability to sack and put heavy pressure on QB's almost at will, in a few years I could definitely see the Broncos with this style (again, with an improved passing game) be in the mix of things.

rock
11-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Want an example of how effective the triple option type of offense is? I mean besides the Broncos winning with it.

Alabama allowed something like 300 yards on offense in the last three games. This was SEC caliber teams.

Georgia Southern came in and dropped 341 yards on them. Why? Because it's effective when run properly.

sinuous sausage
11-21-2011, 06:48 AM
how do you gays think teams like Air Force and Navy keep it from being a laugher every week? I have the skill-set to probably start for Air Force.

CEH
11-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Question is going forward with Tebow, where does LaMicheal James fit in. I would draft him 3rd or 4th round. Hell we have Royal back there and James is a master in this offense

broncogary
11-21-2011, 07:03 AM
how do you gays think teams like Air Force and Navy keep it from being a laugher every week? I have the skill-set to probably start for Air Force.

Blart? Chris Kenney? Anyone? ???

cmhargrove
11-21-2011, 07:10 AM
Question is going forward with Tebow, where does LaMicheal James fit in. I would draft him 3rd or 4th round. Hell we have Royal back there and James is a master in this offense

I have been saying this (to my friends and kids) for weeks. If we really wanted to move forward with a Tebow led offense, trade down in the first - pick up some extra second and third round picks.

In the bottom of the second round / top of the third round - pick up LaMichael James, and Coby Fleener (TE from Stanford). That would give the offensive weapons we need for this "system."

ol#7
11-21-2011, 07:23 AM

One of the bigger mistakes made at CU was McCartney going away from the option I-bone offense to the Pro-set. For one, they had finally added enough wrinkles that they could pass out of it (even having some pro caliber WR's) and two as was pointed out at the time, you dont lose to inferior competition when you master this offense. McCartney's argument was that you cant shoot it out with the Miami's and Florida State's of the world, but the problem is its so much harder to recruit/stay successful in the Pro-set offense. Plus, weather issues (the thing I think will catch up to GB in the playoffs since they cant run it a lick.)

That said, Teebs might be the only QB with the size and speed to pull it off for any length of time. The key is being able to get to the edge which he can, but also being durable enough to take the hits. Still, you have to be able to pass out of it for it to really be as effective as it can be.