PDA

View Full Version : Early trade deadline ill-conceived

TDmvp
11-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Yea I wish the Nfl would try to move the deadline back to like week 10... not sure If any later would somehow make for trouble but if not maybe even week 12...

Early trade deadline ill-conceived

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10spot-11week11/timing-trade-deadline-hurts-houston-texans-kansas-city-chiefs-adam-schefter-10-spot

A team's success should be determined by its performance, not a date. Yet a simple date, Oct. 18, helped influence how this entire season would play out.

The Oakland Raiders lost quarterback Jason Campbell to injury two days before the NFL's trade deadline. Due to the timing of the injury and the trade deadline, Oakland was able to deal for former Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer.

The Houston Texans lost quarterback Matt Schaub to a season-ending injury and the Kansas City Chiefs likely lost quarterback Matt Cassel for the remainder of the season one month after the NFL's trade deadline. Due to the timing of those injuries and the trade deadline, Houston must lean on Matt Leinart and Kansas City must turn to Tyler Palko.

In a sport designed to be fair, this is an unfair part that is hard to get around. A simple arbitrary date dictated that Oakland could acquire an upgrade but that Houston and Kansas City cannot.

Teams are compromised, fans are shortchanged and TV networks are affected by a trade deadline that easily could be pushed back for the good of the game.

If the trade deadline were Nov. 18 instead of Oct. 18, then Denver would be able to unload quarterback Kyle Orton and his weekly salary of more than $450,000. Houston and Kansas City would be able to add another qualified quarterback to help them with their playoff push. Everyone, including the sport itself, would be better off.

Read rest at the link ...

RhymesayersDU
11-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Saw this. I really wonder what a team like Houston would have given for him.

We would have never traded with KC I don't think, but Houston would have been interesting.

Shananahan
11-19-2011, 12:59 AM
I really wonder what a team like Houston would have given for him.
It couldn't have been more than what they got for Lloyd, though I'm sure Denver would have taken it at this point.

Popps
11-19-2011, 01:14 AM
Well, it's fair in that everyone has the same odds and the same trade deadline.
But, I agree... it seems like it's a bit early. Maybe they could allow one trade after a certain date to avoid roster dumping?

TDmvp
11-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Well, it's fair in that everyone has the same odds and the same trade deadline.
But, I agree... it seems like it's a bit early. Maybe they could allow one trade after a certain date to avoid roster dumping?

Well played Popps... I hate that in baseball.

That One Guy
11-19-2011, 08:25 AM
No way. I'd hate to see teams throwing in the towel for draft picks or trading for someone good after the bulk of the season has been played and succeeding. The late season run and playoffs should be a culmination of the team's accomplishments and not a place for ring chasers to accumulate. Lastly, it forces teams to plan better. You can have a good backup and cough up the money or you can have a cheap one but you have to deal with the consequences of that decision.

Jekyll15Hyde
11-19-2011, 09:30 AM
I liked the article and would love to see the trade deadline moved back some.