PDA

View Full Version : Fox regrets comments on Tebow

Dagmar
11-18-2011, 02:18 PM
"But that was one time where I lost sleep over it. I don't ever lose sleep over things like this, but I felt terrible about it. We were 1-4 and now we're 5-5. Believe me, I'm Tim Tebow's biggest fan."

Read more: Broncos' Fox regrets comments about Tim Tebow he made to NFL.com - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19366873?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1e5suJGj3

The rest is in the link above.

BroncsCheer
11-18-2011, 02:20 PM
I thought he might backtrack on that one once it got out there in such force.

Seems like a sincere reflection by the coach too. The win last night makes this much easier to put behind them, that's for sure.

frerottenextelway
11-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Fox has nothing to regret. His words were fine.

ColoradoDarin
11-18-2011, 02:23 PM
I never thought he meant it in a derogatory way, just a poor choice of words.

bendog
11-18-2011, 02:25 PM
But Tebow still can't run a traditional nfl offense. He didn't back off the reality, just the way he phrased it. I'm pretty sure Tebow will work out his difficulties in throwing from the pocket. And, I think every fan and everyone in the organization is curious as to how far Tebow can develop as an NFL passer.

Tombstone RJ
11-18-2011, 02:26 PM
I never thought he meant it in a derogatory way, just a poor choice of words.

this, of course the media likes to focus in on it and blow it out of proportion but the fact is Fox knows Tebow is good football player who needs to become a better NFL QB.

enjolras
11-18-2011, 02:27 PM
It was also a factual statement. At this point Tebow has no chance of succeeding in a conventional offense. None.

TheReverend
11-18-2011, 02:34 PM
The only part I have a problem with is where he calls himself Tim's biggest fan. Sorry John, you're late to my bandwagon, sir. :)

SureShot
11-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey Fox actions speak louder than words just name the Tebro the starter for the rest of the year.

ZONA
11-18-2011, 02:39 PM
It was also a factual statement. At this point Tebow has no chance of succeeding in a conventional offense. None.

Can you let me borrow your crystal ball. The lottery is tomorrow and I really could use that thing.

tool

BMF Bronco
11-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Then I say piss on conventional.

bendog
Why? What if teams start stuffing the zone and run game, Tebow can't pass and Tebow stops progressing? No player is an uquestioned starter who owns a position until he earns it, like a Brady or Rodgers.

bendog
Then I say piss on conventional.

Fox did.

55CrushEm
11-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Maybe Steve Young's prophecy is coming true.......Tim Tebow will revolutionize the position in the NFL.

If that becomes the case....then yes, piss on conventional.

frerottenextelway
11-18-2011, 02:51 PM
If we make the playoffs, Coach Fox has to be in the running for Coach of the Year.

BMF Bronco
11-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Fox did.

and we're 4-1 since

Rolandftw
11-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Props to the coach for admitting the mistake. Doubt Tim got his feelings hurt by it or anything, anyways.

bendog
11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
The only mistake was the "suck' word. He needs to educate the tebowites and casual fans that Tebow is having success because they've molded the offense to fit what he can do now, and are working to get him to be able to do more. There's this mindset that Fox wants tebow to fail and is too inflexible to make changes and McCoy is incomptent. Both are false. When McCoy was the passing game coord in Car, the Panthers had the second best winning % for something like 6 years running.

Taco John
11-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Can you let me borrow your crystal ball. The lottery is tomorrow and I really could use that thing.

tool

enjolras said that in a deragatory way, but he's right. Tim isn't going to ever be able to run an offense like Aaron Rodgers. The Broncos are going to have to (continue to) build something special to accommodate him.

Taco John
11-18-2011, 03:11 PM
If we make the playoffs, Coach Fox has to be in the running for Coach of the Year.

He's already won coach of my heart.

jhns
11-18-2011, 03:15 PM
He said pretty much the same well before the game as well. It must be bothering him if he is talking about it in multiple interviews. That or everyone keeps asking him about it.

cutthemdown
11-18-2011, 03:18 PM
LOL he feels bad because Tebow so nice to everyone. You get caught talking bad about him and its like when Sandra Dee caught the Pink Ladies making fun of her not drinking in Grease! everyone gets all quiet!

I bet the first time a team takes a cheap shot at Tebow you could see some fireworks. I have a feeling its going to happen soon because defenses frustrated with Tebow. He's not playing by their rules and they hate defending it. These defenders are soft and the Broncos making them tackle a lot more then they want. They love incomplete passes is what it is. They hate tackling and getting pummelled by the oline.

Dagmar
He said pretty much the same well before the game as well. It must be bothering him if he is talking about it in multiple interviews. That or everyone keeps asking him about it.

Do you still want him fired? Serious Q.

bendog
enjolras said that in a deragatory way, but he's right. Tim isn't going to ever be able to run an offense like Aaron Rodgers. The Broncos are going to have to (continue to) build something special to accommodate him.

I am not sure I'd say he cannot, just yet. He's never been coached to do so. I believe the CBA limits the amount of time players can be required to attend meetings/camps in the offseason, but I don't know if there's a strict prohibition on coaching contacts.

cutthemdown
11-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Looking for another new coach would be so epically stupid only he could come up with that. Let them all become a team, build some chemistry. Besides our defense is playing big boy football now. Elway and Xandars made some nice draft picks and good FA moves.

It's hard to fathom anyone wanting any coach fired at this point. I don't know who Jeff Rodgers is, but him and Keith Burns have done a great job with the special teams so far. We have a couple returns, punter actually pins teams here and there, and we don't give up all the huge returns anymore knock on wood.

Firing Fox would be like getting a divorce on your honeymoon.

Kaylore
11-18-2011, 03:26 PM
I think Tim can get to where he'd be a good passer. It would take years to do, though.

bendog
11-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Firing Fox would be like getting a divorce on your honeymoon.

I was with you up till that sentence. If I knew then what I know now .... (-:

jhns
11-18-2011, 03:30 PM

No. I still have negative feelings about starting Orton, giving away the top two receivers, and a few in game calls. That said, the good is outweighing the bad by a lot right now. He brought in good talent this offseason, he wasn't afraid to change when Orton wasn't working, and he has the team playing as a team. I have been willing to give hkm a chance since he stopped throwing winnable games.

The only point that really needs to be made is: more wins than last season = I just can't justify wanting him fired

I am having a hard time deciding how much I do or don't like McCoy running the offense though. His overall game plans are great. Some of the individual play calls leave me wondering what he is thinking. This goes back to before Tebow too.

BroncsCheer
11-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Tim isn't going to ever be able to run an offense like Aaron Rodgers.

The list of humans able to run an offense like that is very, very short TJ.

I contend that GB's offense is not conventional, on top of that, so perhaps you chose your example poorly. GB has an incredible passing attack due to superior talent and good coaching.

A 'conventional' offense has balance between the pass/run, stays "on schedule", utilizes the pocket as place from which the QB operates the passing attack, and controls the ball to keep their defense fresh.

What Denver's doing is different than a "conventional" offense, but its effectiveness when it counts will be the determinant as to whether or not it sticks around.

My thoughts are that as this QB grows into the role, we'll see this offensive attack shift more towards the mean.

jhns
11-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Looking for another new coach would be so epically stupid only he could come up with that.

Did you just claim that only I can come up with really stupid stuff? Really? The one that has been right about pretty much everything the past few years? You may want to think before you speak. All of our takes are still here. We can compare and see who is dumber.

Dedhed
11-18-2011, 03:41 PM
and we're 4-1 since

We're really 3-0. We ran a pretty conventional offense against the Dolphins and Lions. After that the coaches ditch convention and went all in with Tebow.

Dedhed
11-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Tim isn't going to ever be able to run an offense like Aaron Rodgers.

And Aaron Rodgers isn't ever going to be able to do what Tebow does. Further more it would be a bad idea, imo, to try to force either to play like the other.

cutthemdown
11-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Did you just claim that only I can come up with really stupid stuff? Really? The one that has been right about pretty much everything the past few years? You may want to think before you speak. All of our takes are still here. We can compare and see who is dumber.

Cool lets do it. Go find everything and get back to me.

Steve Prefontaine
11-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Wow, I give Fox a lot of credit for saying he regrets the comment. Not a lot of coaches are humble enough to admit a mistake like that.

You're forgiven coach!

Archer81
11-18-2011, 04:22 PM
I think Tim can get to where he'd be a good passer. It would take years to do, though.

Maybe not years. If Tebow is the guy, this time next year should be very interesting in regards to the passing game, especially considering how far he has come in his 5 starts this season already.

:Broncos:

SonOfLe-loLang
11-18-2011, 04:23 PM

He really needs to spend 2 months with that guy who changed roethlisbergers delivery...and whoever elses. If he can get his footwork in order, it'd help him immensely. If he continues to do what he's doing, Tim's worth the Broncos investment.

jhns
11-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Cool lets do it. Go find everything and get back to me.

Fine, I will give the breakdown. I saw McDaniels was a failure before his first offseason was over. I said Tebow should start to begin this year because he gives this team a better chance to win.

You didn't. I win.

DarkHorse30
11-18-2011, 04:39 PM
But Tebow still can't run a traditional nfl offense. He didn't back off the reality, just the way he phrased it. I'm pretty sure Tebow will work out his difficulties in throwing from the pocket. And, I think every fan and everyone in the organization is curious as to how far Tebow can develop as an NFL passer.

Define "traditional nfl offense".

Isn't one of the things that made Shanahan such a great OC was his ability to disguise plays with different looks? And isn't the measuring stick of a good OC how difficult it is for a defense to prepare for his plan?

Near as I can tell, Tebow HAS made most throws that a "stereo-typical" pocket passer has to make. Is he doing it right every time? Nope. Do "they"? No.

Meanwhile - a "stero-typical" pocket passer QB cannot run a game plan that resembles what Tebow can do. The closest you can do is the bootleg. Period.

So.....do I really want an ordinary pocket passer? No.

What about an extra-ordinary leader/game-changer QB. Ok....if I have to I guess:wiggle:

cutthemdown
11-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Fine, I will give the breakdown. I saw McDaniels was a failure before his first offseason was over. I said Tebow should start to begin this year because he gives this team a better chance to win.

You didn't. I win.

I don't make a lot of predictions like you do. I said I though it was smart to start Orton and see if he could run the offense and win, in the meanwhile you don't lose players like Lloyd to being pissed. Then if he loses not many players will argue the switch to Tebow, and fox will have plenty of time to see what he can do.

Whatever I was I little slow on Mcd, thought he would be a great offensive coach, didn't realize he was the devil until a yr after you i guess, but whatever you make predictions on everything, but still half the things you come up with are crazy. Like when you said we need to fire fox already.

Bronco Yoda
11-18-2011, 05:24 PM

We need a really good QB coach. Someone that's not going to totally screw him up with mechanical dogma. He needs to carefully tweak his mechanics to get the most out of whatever he has... not reinvent himself into some sort of perfect mechanical robot. The goal would be not to fight against his muscle memory but tweak here and there slowly.

He's always going to have a windup and slower delivery. People need to get over this once and for all. He's just going to have to learn to adjust to the faster athletes in the NFL. I think he will. Yes, this may cause a few fumbles with his hand getting hit... but you take the good with the bad. Just like you do with QB's with Quick releases but have no legs or bulk to protect themselves with when sacked. There's no perfect situation.... (The Duke retired long ago and they broke the mold with him)

Popps
11-18-2011, 06:19 PM
He didn't miss by a mile this week, at least. He picked good options to throw to... he's just got to throw a little better. These are a lot of near-misses we're seeing. Not sure what the answer is. Maybe just more game experience, for starters.

MacGruder
11-18-2011, 06:25 PM
I think people who think Tebow can't be a GREAT passer are not looking at the situation realistically.

I have seen Tebow make more impressive throws than Cam or Kyle and in the most clutch moments of the game.

If he hadn't been put in such a horrible situation this season and with no support in him he could be so much better. He was way better at the end of last season. Even by the end of THIS season he could be even better than he was last season.

Also, let's not forget the style Fox plays makes ALL QBs look terrible. Especially someone put in such a horrible situation like Tebow.

Popps
11-18-2011, 06:27 PM
I think people who think Tebow can't be a GREAT passer are not looking at the situation realistically.

I have seen Tebow make more impressive throws than Cam or Kyle and in the most clutch moments of the game.

If he hadn't been put in such a horrible situation this season and with no support in him he could be so much better. He was way better at the end of last season. Even by the end of THIS season he could be even better than he was last season.

Also, let's not forget the style Fox plays makes ALL QBs look terrible. Especially someone put in such a horrible situation like Tebow.

Shut up.

MacGruder
11-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Shut up.

Grow up.

HAT
11-18-2011, 06:44 PM
I said Tebow should start to begin this year because he gives this team a better chance to win.

You didn't. I win.

This is incorrect though. Had Tebow started out of the gate (running a traditional offense) the results (W-L) through 4 or 5 games wouldn't have been much different.

4 or 5 games like the Dolphins/Lions and the media storm is crazy negative. Fox probably doesn't decide to play to Tebow's strengths...He benches him in favor of Orton and the company line becomes "We're going to continue to develop him in practice".

MacGruder
11-18-2011, 06:47 PM
This is incorrect though. Had Tebow started out of the gate (running a traditional offense) the results (W-L) through 4 or 5 games wouldn't have been much different.

4 or 5 games like the Dolphins/Lions and the media storm is crazy negative. Fox probably doesn't decide to play to Tebow's strengths...He benches him in favor of Orton and the company line becomes "We're going to continue to develop him in practice".

This isn't necessarily true. If Tebow had played through the preseason and training camp he could be much better than he is now even.. and they should have built the system around Tebow from the beginning. They did this for Cam Newton right out of the gates. McD's offense WAS built around Tebow and Fox changed that...

bpc
11-18-2011, 09:40 PM

Fact is, he doesn't need to. Especially not to win consistently. He's proven he can do that one dimensionally. He's got a different skill set vs. Rodgers and most other QB's in the league. All he has to do is progress like any other NFL QB will over their first couple years in the league and he'll get drastically better in the pocket and that should be enough to make him completely dynamic and unique in his own right.

I love the dumbasses that predict Tebow's demise as a player like it's certainty, like he can't grow from this stage in his career as a passer. It's laughable.

SouthStndJunkie
11-18-2011, 10:45 PM
If Tebow can make progress as a passer, while gaining valuable experience, then the possibilities for the future of the offense are exciting.

If he progresses to even being an average passer and improves on reading NFL defenses (which comes with time, study, and game experience), then his other skills will enable us to really keep defenses off balance if the offensive game plan is creative and malleable.

Taco John
11-18-2011, 10:56 PM
And Aaron Rodgers isn't ever going to be able to do what Tebow does. Further more it would be a bad idea, imo, to try to force either to play like the other.

I fully agree with that.