PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to John Fox on getting to .500, beating our record last year!

Kaylore
11-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Entering the last part of the season John has made good on all his promises:

1. That Tebow would be involved in the offense.
2. That this would be the most sophisticated running game in the NFL.
3. That we would have a formidable defense that plays the run tough.
4. That we would win more games this year.

Thank you, John Fox for bringing in a real coaching staff with real good players.

jhns
11-17-2011, 10:05 PM
The front office added talent. Winning more = going in the right direction. Being in the AFC West means we can even win the division after having the second pick in the draft.

Rohirrim
11-17-2011, 10:05 PM
It ain't pretty, but it's working.

ColoradoDarin
11-17-2011, 10:06 PM
This. All of this and more.

bombay
11-17-2011, 10:07 PM
He's built an incredible defense out of draft choices, leftovers, and free agent scraps.

rbackfactory80
11-17-2011, 10:08 PM
I do like John Fox.

Tombstone RJ
11-17-2011, 10:09 PM
He's all class and has this team playing hard, smart football.

Rohirrim
11-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Does this mean we're out of the ****storm?

Chris
11-17-2011, 10:14 PM
smart, tough, physical... actually.

I think we have better coaching across the board this year. Credit to Fox for assembling the staff.

broncosteven
11-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Loved that Fox and staff are finding ways to win and playing to the strengths of their players.

Something we saw nothing of during mCd's tenure.

This team keeps making progress and shows improvement and consistentcy(sp?) week in and week out.

Doom is returning to form, Miller was the best pick of the draft, Tebow is game managing and making plays when the game is on the line, the OL and RB's are elevating their games. Just need to get more out of the WR's.

What I really love is how Allen is not afraid to bring late pressure, has shaped the CB's into a competent corp who can keep plays in front and wrap up and most of all how he rotates his LB's by situation.

JCMElway
11-17-2011, 10:30 PM
The tackling is another huge factor tonight. I'd have to watch the game again, but I counted just two missed tackles. The vast majority of the time our tackles were made at the waist or below and defenders were wrapping up nicely. It's amazing how much harder it makes it on an offense when they have very minimal YAC and YAFC.

broncosteven
11-17-2011, 10:32 PM
The tackling is another huge factor tonight. I'd have to watch the game again, but I counted just two missed tackles. The vast majority of the time our tackles were made at the waist or below and defenders were wrapping up nicely. It's amazing how much harder it makes it on an offense when they have very minimal YAC and YAFC.

Even in the Jets lone good drive when we were playing off the WR's they had to drive and grind it down.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-17-2011, 10:32 PM
It's not pretty. It's beautiful.

24champ
11-17-2011, 10:36 PM
It ain't pretty, but it's working.

Yeah, Fox is proving me wrong with every win.

Special Teams made the most improvement, then the defense. I still think we need a real QB coach.

barryr
11-17-2011, 10:36 PM
I do like most things Fox has done, with the defense now looking very solid and good and the special teams being pretty solid too, which have been weaknesses for this team for many years. Now the offense needs work though. I know they want to play it conservative, but give me a break. Hard for any QB to find a rhythm in this offense, much less a young one.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-17-2011, 10:37 PM
"Kyle Orton gives us the best chance to win"

Agamemnon
11-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I'll give them credit on the improved defense and special teams. But the offensive play-calling has been terrible every game since Tebow became the starter. Sometimes mind-bogglingly so. But the defense and special teams have played far above expectations and have kept us in it most games until they let Tebow do what he's good at (throw, scramble, and run out of the spread).

Oh and the run game is much improved as well. But god the play-calling...

That One Guy
11-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Damn... I don't wanna eat crow on Fox.

I'll eat crow when the Broncos have a perfect season and win the SB.

I am very impressed with the team, though.

24champ
11-17-2011, 10:39 PM
I'll give them credit on the improved defense and special teams. But the offensive play-calling has been terrible every game since Tebow became the starter. Sometimes mind-bogglingly so. But the defense and special teams have played far above expectations and have kept us in it most games until they let Tebow do what he's good at (throw, scramble, and run out of the spread).

Oh and the run game is much improved as well. But god the play-calling...

Playcalling was fine at the beginning of the game and then it went to shiat.

TheReverend
11-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Soooooooooo

Anyone else notice we'd be a top seed probably hitting a bye week if wed traded Orton successfully or is that just me?

snowspot66
11-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Playcalling was fine at the beginning of the game and then it went to shiat.

Give the Jets credit. They played well on defense.

Also, our receivers need to catch a damned ball. Tebow's throws weren't all perfect and pretty but when you have the ball hitting both hands you've got to come down with it. Right now our guys just aren't doing that well and it can't all be on Tebow. They did this with Orton as well.

HooptyHoops
11-17-2011, 10:45 PM
"Kyle Orton gives us the best chance to win"

LOL

Dr. Broncenstein
11-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Opening night... Orton yelling at the offense on the sidelines with Tebow Bertstaring the bejesus out of Kyle on camera. That moment was almost worth it. Almost.

BroncoInferno
11-17-2011, 10:46 PM
The coaches need to let Tebow do his thing the whole game. Why not try shotgun empty backfield at the beginning of the game? Let's see if that does't result in a big win instead of a last second win.

barryr
11-17-2011, 10:50 PM
The coaches need to let Tebow do his thing the whole game. Why not try shotgun empty backfield at the beginning of the game? Let's see if that does't result in a big win instead of a last second win.

Agreed. I understand they don't want to put it all on Tebow, but in reality it is and will if they keep being this conservative. Let him play QB and quit this option crap immediately.

Bronco Yoda

Everyone is making good solid open field tackles.

Orange4Life
I'm super impressed with the job Foxy has done. He has the defense playing fantastic. We are getting enough out of the offense to stay in the game and win. I love it. I love winning

Agamemnon
11-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Soooooooooo

Anyone else notice we'd be a top seed probably hitting a bye week if wed traded Orton successfully or is that just me?

No that's not just you...

Agamemnon
11-17-2011, 10:54 PM

What's aggravating is that they do run some empty backfield early in games...from which they run QB draws 99% of the time...

Agamemnon
11-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Agreed. I understand they don't want to put it all on Tebow, but in reality it is and will if they keep being this conservative. Let him play QB and quit this option crap immediately.

I actually like the option looks, but they need to simply be one aspect of the total package. And definitely not the core aspect. The core aspect should be spread formations with delayed handoffs, option reads, and direct snaps in the running game.

FISH
11-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Watching the interviews with him this week and then seeing him all smiles on the field....its great to watch....its like hes along for the ride like the rest of us

He was laughing when TimBow scored...loved it

Lestat
11-17-2011, 11:14 PM
i must say, Fox has really impressed me with his ability to adapt to what he has and excel with it. now the question is, can they add the talent to make it work full time.

Powderaddict
11-17-2011, 11:21 PM
What's aggravating is that they do run some empty backfield early in games...from which they run QB draws 99% of the time...

Or, maybe they are wearing down the defense, sticking to the gameplan and once opposing defenses are gassed they impose their will on them in the 4th?

Maybe the playcalling isn't as inept as you think?

Agamemnon
11-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Or, maybe they are wearing down the defense, sticking to the gameplan and once opposing defenses are gassed they impose their will on them in the 4th?

Maybe the playcalling isn't as inept as you think?

It is. Don't kid yourself. Or do you actually think there's some mad genius theory behind all the times they run on 3rd and 5+? Or how they run on virtually every 1st down until the game is on the line even when the run is getting stuffed?

I seriously can't believe people don't see how bad our offensive play-calling is. I swear they could run QB draws on every down and there would be a few people saying it was a good gameplan...

Pick Six
11-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Damn... I don't wanna eat crow on Fox.

I'll eat crow when the Broncos have a perfect season and win the SB.

I am very impressed with the team, though.

I'll take the part in bold. The quest for a perfect season is overrated. Ask the Patriots about that one...Ha!

broncocalijohn
11-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Does anyone feel like they are scared to go down on record in this thread as they did the same for McDaniels the first of his 6 games? Gun shy for many I am sure.
Tough to be too boring or predictable when he now has Tebow at the helm but today's running game was baffling for 55 minutes.

Agamemnon
11-18-2011, 01:48 AM
Does anyone feel like they are scared to go down on record in this thread as they did the same for McDaniels the first of his 6 games? Gun shy for many I am sure.
Tough to be too boring or predictable when he now has Tebow at the helm but today's running game was baffling for 55 minutes.

Having a mental midget for an OC is probably going to keep being uncomfortable for the rest of the season to be honest. I really don't have much hope for a eureka moment for this fool. All I can hope for is that EFX see a need to bring in someone who has a real offensive mind and some ****ing ingenuity next year...

fontaine
11-18-2011, 03:35 AM
Fox and his staff deserve a tremendous amount of credit.

From bringing in players like Bunkley, Harris, Miller, Carter/Moore, Franklin etc to getting the most out of the roster they inherited, they've exceeded most expectations.

I love the way they've got this defense/ST playing good fundamental football from the basics of tackling, blocking to getting the front 7 to play disciplined football.

Last year we were taking a penalty a game on 10/12 defenders on the field with players free lancing and not maintaining their gaps and assignments. This year there is none of that.

On offense, they're getting the best out of the OL and run game while bringing along a long term project at QB.

And that too with the youngest OL/WR/QB combination in the game. Young safeties and a relatively young core in the front 7 with Thomas/Doom/Ayers/Miller/Bunkley/Mays/Woodyard etc.

This is a young team apart from CBs/McGahee. As long as we keep drafting well, I love the direction of this team.

ol#7
11-18-2011, 05:13 AM
They have done a nice job in filling alot of talent holes that carried over from last year, McGahee has been better than I hoped, and I was skeptical of HAM and McBean doing much but they have been solid, Bunkly was a steal.

Ag, The early part of the game, that was a sophisticated run game and we had some success. Then...we turtled. I dont know what we were doing for 2 1/2 qtrs out there, though had the WR's (Decker I am looking at you!) held on to a couple of those passes, who knows what it might have opened up?

Rev, the one positive from our crappy start is it really illustrates the difference between Tebow/Orton from the clutch/intangibles perspective. 1-4 vs 4-1. Kind of speaks for itself. Sucks we gave away likely wins just so the FO could shove it down out throats. Suddenly those billboards look like money well spent...

jhns
11-18-2011, 07:02 AM

This doesn't even make sense. 5 wins, with the chance at more, means the team has already improved. If you are asking about others thinking of him as coach for life, he will need to win a coupke SBs first.

fdf
11-18-2011, 09:14 AM
I actually like the option looks, but they need to simply be one aspect of the total package. And definitely not the core aspect. The core aspect should be spread formations with delayed handoffs, option reads, and direct snaps in the running game.

What an exciting 4th quarter! And another great comeback.

Hopefully, Tebow can get to the point where he's a mediocre passer across the middle. If he can get there, he will be a great QB. He's OK'ish long. And OK'ish to the sideline. But he is terrible across the middle.

One thing he's really good at though is not throwing interceptions. That means he knows his limits as a passer. Which is a lot better than a lot of young QB's trying to stick the ball into spots that get them intercepted. Cutler is a great example of a QB who doesn't know his limits as a passer.

Drek
11-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Thank you, John Fox for bringing in a real coaching staff with real good players.

He changed less than half the staff and about a quarter of the roster, if that though.

The difference is letting the guys who were here actually do their jobs, not micromanaging every aspect of the team and invalidating the contributions very skilled staffers could make to a team.

gyldenlove
11-18-2011, 09:39 AM
The perfect QB would have Orton's accuracy on short passes and ability to move the ball between the 20s, Tebow's mentality and ability to run and willingness to go deep and his guts when the game is on the line.

Drek
11-18-2011, 09:47 AM
The perfect QB would have Orton's accuracy on short passes and ability to move the ball between the 20s, Tebow's mentality and ability to run and willingness to go deep and his guts when the game is on the line.

So Tebow with better footwork and quicker reads? Two things all young QBs have to work on when entering the league?

gyldenlove
11-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Entering the last part of the season John has made good on all his promises:

1. That Tebow would be involved in the offense.
2. That this would be the most sophisticated running game in the NFL.
3. That we would have a formidable defense that plays the run tough.
4. That we would win more games this year.

I have waited to long for that defense to show up, but they are showing up now. Miller is clearly a dominant player, Dumervil is coming back from his injury and showing why he was the league sack leader and set the Broncos single season record, Bailey is still one of the most complete CBs in the league, Bunkley and Thomas are looking really good against the run, Ayers and Mcbean have both been head and shoulders above where they were in the 3-4, Carter has really shown some good play and there is no reason to doubt he can take over from Dawkins some time in the next millenium whenever Dawkins is ready to retire. Harris continues to shine (did anyone notice how short he was next to Buress?).

They seem to have found a really good balance of when to have Mays and Woodyard out there and even Goodman has shown some signs of quality play.

Our points per game on defense is down by 5 from last year, rush yards per game is down by 40, sacks are up from less than 1.5 per game to 2.7 per game.

gyldenlove
11-18-2011, 09:48 AM
So Tebow with better footwork and quicker reads? Two things all young QBs have to work on when entering the league?

And an ability to to hit people in the numbers instead of the feet on short passes.

teknic
11-18-2011, 10:11 AM

It's not one or the other. Both are only parts of the Broncos offense. This has been said numerous times by Fox, McCoy and Tebow, when asked about the playcalling.

The offense is still the same offense we ran under McDaniels, but tweaked by McCoy, that's why we kept McCoy. All of those formations and plays were in the playbook, and continue to be in the playbook. The difference was playcalling; McDaniels called the plays himself and the skew was in favour of passing, whereas McCoy has called a run-first offense this year.

The coaches, and McCoy in general, will create an offensive gameplan that they feel gives them the best chance against a particular opponent. The plays installed during each week of practice are meant to give the team the best chance against their opponent. If McCoy thinks the spread can work against an opponent, he'll plan it that way. If he thinks the option will work against the opponent, he'll add those plays too. Anything the coaches think will give the Broncos the best chance of winning goes into the playcalling.